Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E12: Trios Night

• Start Topic

LIKED:   Alex’s waltz and Nick’s Trio Dance (Hi, Peta!)
STRONGLY DISLIKED:   Carlo’s rope dance and Bindi’s Trio dance (too many gimmicks)
EVERY OTHER DANCE:  Blah and Meh

Other random thoughts:

- I am really pulling for Nick and Sharna to win because I love their partnership and Nick just seems like a nice guy  and my three favorite dances of the season were: This is Halloween, Nick’s BSB Jazz number and his trio dance last night.  Maybe not the best “technical” dances of the season but the ones that I have enjoyed
- As much as I am pulling for Nick, I have a feeling he will be third behind Alek and Bindi but as soon as Nick is announced “cut” I am done with the show this year because I have no interest in any of the other three dancers left.
- Bindi probably really is that sweet but whoever posted up thread about her being like Alec Baldwin’s character on Friends was spot on.  All that enthusiasm and “I love you” and it’s raining happiness is way too much for me, sincere or not.   I feel like the show and the media have shoved Bindi down my throat to the point that even if she dances well I won’t watch it because I am sick of her
- If this show comes back, they  need to do something about the Judging panel, bring back Len and loose either CariAnne or Julianne or both.   Sometimes they just seemed to give Bindi a 10 for walking out on stage before she even dances.
- I am not a Derek fan or a Derek hater – I think he is a good cheographer but I also think he needs a Paula Deen or a Kate Gosslin to see how he can work with them and how much he can teach them.
- I am thinking this show has jumped the shark overall because I was more interested in an Everybody Loves Raymond rerun last night than watching DWTS from start to finish.
- Lastly, I think semi finals would have been much more interesting minus Alek and Carlos with Tamar and Alexis instead

Edited by penbrat

I guess I still don't understand what schedule there was to be affected. Yes, they wanted a 4-couple finale which meant needing a 5-couples semi final which did not happen because Tamar withdrew. But again, there really is no significant difference between a 4-couples and 3-couples finale. They had a 3-couples finale last season and I'm not sure that was planned from the beginning, again especially with the constant "we're doing a double elimination, oh wait no we're not, yes we are..." The only thing that happens is someone will not get eliminated on Monday night going into Tuesday's finale. That's it.

The only thing that confuses me at this point is why they're making them do 3 dances again on Monday, apparently. A whatever they haven't done yet dance, a judges choice, and a freestyle. Isn't it usually just a judges choice redo and a freestyle?

This is why the fact that this show is mostly left up to viewers is so interesting because the dancing can be so subjective. Like I've read this comment more than once and yet, I watched that dance off and thought it wasn't even close. To me Bindi clearly won with a mixture of way more content and better execution of the steps. And yet some see it so differently which is totally fair. But again it's just a reminder that this show can never really be "fair" because it's all so subjective really.

I think theit actual dancing was just about equal but for me it was the feel of Nick's dance that I preferred and I wonder if it might just be the age factor. His dance had a smoother, more sensual feel to it than Bindi's which I look for in a samba. I think he sold that dance better than any of his others last night...from the first look he gave Sharna on the first step, I was in.

So, yeah, it is definitely a taste/preference issue and I can see an argument for Bindi but I would have chosen Nick. It wasn't a case where I was outraged by the decision, I just would have chosen differently.

And honestly, that is how I feel about this season overall. Any of the final four could walk away the winner and I won't be too upset one way or the other. Bindi is not my cup of tea but I get why she is the favorite of a lot of people. A Bindi win would make sense to me even if she isn't my choice. I felt sort of the same way last season with Riker and Rumer. DWTS has been a couple seasons of "meh" for me with none of the contestants compelling me to vote. Last night was one of the first times since week 3 or 4 that I voted this season and it was to throw a couple of votes Nick's way after his rough night because I would prefer to see him over Alek or Carlos.

I hated Bindi's trio dance. Hated it. She's a very good dancer but that was too much stuff for her to deal with. The whole time with the box, I could see her thinking and she struggled with the light on a rope too.

I didn't mind her dance but I think something that conceptual should be held for the freestyle.

Oof, Nick is really behind the 8 ball on this.  Still I think the BSB Army are going to power vote like it's TRL 1999 and push him to the top 3, though I don't think it will be enough to beat Mindy.

Meanwhile since the train attack, Alek had one of his friends from said attack stabbed, the Oregon college shooting in his hometown and now the Paris attacks last weekend.  Things do come in threes, but my God, that's a lot to absorb.

• Love 2
The only thing that confuses me at this point is why they're making them do 3 dances again on Monday, apparently. A whatever they haven't done yet dance, a judges choice, and a freestyle. Isn't it usually just a judges choice redo and a freestyle?

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the fusion dance that's done on the Tuesday finale with the remaining three couples. They've been doing that for a few seasons now. I think Season 17 was the first time. 

I didn't mind her dance but I think something that conceptual should be held for the freestyle.

I have to say, I did think, "well what are you going to do for a Freestyle Derek after that." However I can't see Derek not having a strategy long planned for Bindi's freestyle and I can see why he may not think that vibe would fit for her freestyle. The dance was very dramatic and had an edge to it that isn't really who Bindi is.

Usually the Pros try to go for something that represents who the celebrity is and their journey for the Freestyle. So my guess we'll see something more uplifting and joyful with Bindi's freestyle. Of course that's just my guess, I'm not in Derek's head and they may come with something completely left field. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the fusion dance that's done on the Tuesday finale with the remaining three couples. They've been doing that for a few seasons now. I think Season 17 was the first time.

Yes, but that's usually on Tuesday and scored for no apparent reason. They said in their post show interviews last night that on Monday they have 3 dances. Whatever they didn't do yet, Judges Choice and Freestyle.

Any thoughts on which couple would've left tonight--between the 2 in jeopardy: Bindi/Derek or Nick/Sharna--if Tamar hadn't withdrawn after Alexa was eliminated last week & there had actually been an elimination tonight?

I think it would've been Nick & Sharna.

It probably was Nick & Sharna. However, I'm not certain I take this bottom two seriously since it was kind of a plot device. 

Why does everyone think it was Nick and Sharna? I can see how people might be sick of Bindi and Derek by now. Maybe it was them, and TPTB are trying to get their fans to rally around them. I know the BSB aren't as big as they used to be, but I think he by far would have the largest fanbase of the people left. Bindi's father was sort of a celebrity, but he wasn't a Bruce Willis or anything. As for Alek and Carlos, no one had ever heard of them before the show started. 

• Love 2

Speaking of Val, was that a picture of him hugging Tamar in the hospital bed? With an open shirt? Doesn't he ever get cold?

BAHAHA! Since you pointed it out I had to go back and check, and, sure enough! He has enough of his shirt unbuttoned to see his pecs.

• Love 2

For Bindi I can also see a more dramatic dance (still upbeat) representing growth and opening up, bursting out etc. Not starting from a dark place but a smaller place.  A relatively unknown Australian girl is now known globally.  I have no clue how many countries get this show but that gist anyway. . I have faith in Derek to choreograph something worthy of three 10s. 

I loved seeing Peta, I like her!   

I have forgotten how it goes next week for the semi finals.  Two are eliminated, right?  

Edited by wings707

Why does everyone think it was Nick and Sharna? I can see how people might be sick of Bindi and Derek by now. Maybe it was them, and TPTB are trying to get their fans to rally around them. I know the BSB aren't as big as they used to be, but I think he by far would have the largest fanbase of the people left. Bindi's father was sort of a celebrity, but he wasn't a Bruce Willis or anything. As for Alek and Carlos, no one had ever heard of them before the show started.

The interesting thing is, according to the post show interviews, Nick and Sharna were "eliminated" during dress rehearsal, and there's apparently an unspoken understanding that if you're "eliminated" in dress rehearsal, it means you're one of the safe couples for real.

http://www.glamour.com/entertainment/blogs/obsessed/2015/11/dwts-news-nick-carter-and-shar

• Love 3

It probably was Nick & Sharna. However, I'm not certain I take this bottom two seriously since it was kind of a plot device. 

Who is voting for Carlos though? I don't understand who his fan base is, but then again, I also forget how he's famous other than via being married to the girl from Spy Kids. Who I never would have recognized had they not said that's where she's from. I imagine that the average viewership of DWTS is slightly older than those who were back-in-the-day BSB fans, but have to imagine Nick still has a stronger fanbase than whats-his-face.

BAHAHA! Since you pointed it out I had to go back and check, and, sure enough! He has enough of his shirt unbuttoned to see his pecs.

If I remembering correctly, he was also wearing a knit hat in that picture, which makes me think he IS cold, but doesn't want to take the obvious action of buttoning up. Which is fine by me.  

• Love 1

IF Tom was telling the truth that either Nick or Bindi was the lowest and saved from elimination by Tamar's withdrawl, I think an argument could be made for either. It's possible Nick isn't drawing the support because he's been inconsistent and rather bland. It's possible Bindi is starting to turn people off with her over the top perkiness. If you buy into the conspiracy theories of random dance offs and extra points, though, Bindi won the dance-off between the two of them. So maybe it is her? Or it was all made up drama, because really, how would we ever know.

Thank you omg. I'm so sick of it. Like I said before I understand we (all 3 of them) can't dance with our legs and feet for reasons, but the arm dancing is actually going to be the death of me at this point.

Ugh, I too am so tired of Derek and his props and his "conceptualized" routines.  I enjoyed the other three trio dances so much more - just straight dancing, no gimmicks.  

Val & Jenna have incredible chemistry and that dance was absolutely gorgeous.

I was surprised Nick & Bindi were the bottom two; who the hell is voting for Carlos?

What was the song Nick/Sharna/Peta danced to?  I loved it.

• Love 1

I thought Alek and Lindsay's waltz was kind of clompy looking so I was shocked when they got straight 10s. Maybe I'm too cynical but I have to believe the terror attacks in Paris had a little something to do with the Alek propping. That said, I thought his trio dance was outstanding and maybe the best thing he's done all season. Yes, it was carefully choreographed to play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses, but his leg extension in those bends was impressive and he finally managed to show some facial expression without looking over the top the way Bindi does sometimes. If they were going to give him straight 10s that's the one they should have given it to.

I don't know why Carlos hasn't spoken to his mother in four years but it reinforces my opinion that this guy is suffering from a case of arrested development. I hate contemporary anyway so I can't be objective about that first number, but I did think the Charleston was a ton of fun and very impressive.

I'd watch Nick and Sharna's trio number a second time too if it didn't play like stop-motion on my crappy laptop. But I thought Bindi's trio with Derek and Mark stunk. Just not my cup of tea as Len would say - way too gimmicky.

• Love 1

Did they keep the window open for voting for Tamar last week (I can't remember when she announced her withdrawal and/or when TPTB knew)?  I'd be curious where she stood after the voting.  Given the edit TPTB gave her this year, if Tamar was the lowest vote-getter I wouldn't have been surprised if they announced that she would've been eliminated anyway.

I think it's entirely possible that Bindi was in jeopardy (and possibly last-place).  IMO, the majority of the viewer votes probably come from pre-existing fans of the Star and the Pro (or people who will respond to Tweets by the Star, the Pro, or their fellow-Pro/Celebrity friends begging for votes).  This is supplemented by whatever portion of the voters decide their votes based upon what they see each week.  And it might be offset by any voters who cast votes for other teams specifically to attempt to "target" either the Star or the Pro (although without a coordinated VFTW campaign to direct those "anti" votes towards a single alternative, they get diluted and probably don't do much).

Coming into this season, I had no idea who Bindi was, although I obviously knew all about her father.  I'm willing to accept that I might not be completely in touch with the audience for boy-bands like BSB and Disney/Nick creations like BTR, I'm not sure who the pre-existing audience is for a bubbly, precocious teen wildlife conservationist.  

And the past few seasons have demonstrated that Derek doesn't necessarily have the fan-base to carry his Team on its own.

I like Bindi, but her chipperness gets irritating. It's one thing to be a happy/ positive person, but it's another to be vomit worthy. it's just way too over the top. And every time her brother spoke in the background, I thought it was her. They have the same exact voice.

I actually do think Carlos is really good. Not really a fan of his personality, but really good dancer. And whoa he went from 0 to 60 from being traumatized that his wife went home to saying hes glad she went home so now he can be more focused. That meltdown him and his wife were having when she got booted was absolutely ridiculous btw.

I think nick is good. I actually think the times he was scored low, he was underscored . and the times hes been scored on the high side, he deserved less. I wonder if his wife could crack a smile once in a while.

Alek is a nice guy, but he should go next. I highly doubt bindi and nick were the bottom 2. The producers always pull that crap just to add drama because they knew no one was going home.

• Love 2

In my opinion, the fact that so many are saying "who would have a larger fanbase than Nick coming into the season, what fanbase can some random wildlife girl really have" may be the exact problem. That everyone just ASSUMES Nick has this huge fanbase because he's a Backstreet Boy after all. But having a fanbase doesn't mean much if they're not voting. And it is more than possible for Nick's fans to be complacent for that very reason - i.e. he has this in the bag. He's a Backstreet Boy after all. 

And Bindi's not having some massive fanbase coming in like Nick will not matter if she is getting casual viewers and voters, which is essentially what I noted above. Obviously I could be wrong as I have no inside knowledge of any of this but I would find it way more likely that Bindi has been picking up casual voters and fans throughout the season while Nick hasn't. I think Nick is probably more reliant on his fanbase he came into the show with and if they're not voting determinedly and consistently, then he won't win. 

Yes, I know many can't stand Bindi and her perkiness and would love so dearly for Derek to not win and I have seen the usual comments about Derek elsewhere. But I've also seen comments on general boards where most people love Bindi and think she deserves to win. One very surprising thing to me yesterday actually was the DWTS official Instagram account, where a picture of Nick and Sharna was posted showing their last minute dress rehearsals. Eighty percent of the comments under the picture was Team Crikey (Bindi and Derek) and wanting them to win. Which for the record, I acknowledge that this is not an exact science since there were also some comments thrown in saying #BringHayesBack. So yeah...

I mean we'll know for sure next week, especially if everyone shows up and the judges' points are very close, which will mean the trophy will literally come down to viewer votes. But as someone said, many said the same about Kelly Pickler - no way Derek will win four and Zendaya had it in the bag and then they said it about Amber Riley. That no way in the world would people vote and have him win five. That the show would practically end because of it and yet the won.

And I don't think the last few seasons necessarily proves his fans aren't there - after all he took Amy all the way to second place but Meryl's win was in the bag from day one much like Alfonso. Nothing was derailing that. Bethany was a fairly unknown to the show's average viewers and she had the problem many of these social media kids have, her whopping fanbase didn't vote. A glance at her social media that season told me they really didn't even give a shit about the show. And she didn't have the personality that wins over the casual viewer and voter for this show. But still they made it to fourth.

And last season with Nastia was just a mess of issues - the flying back and forth, the narrative given to her all season of being cold and not connecting, Derek getting injured so her having to dance with someone else for a few weeks, etc. It would have taken Herculean effort for Nastia to have won under all that. And technically she would have made the finals but they decided to opt for 3 couples last season.

So again, I may be reading the tea leaves wrong but according to Derek himself, who has said he's rarely surprised at his eliminations because years on the show has given him a good sense of how things are going and just a general feeling and vibe, my feeling is that Bindi has this in the bag and she's had it for a few weeks. If not, then so be it. Personally I would be greatly amused if Carlos somehow wins because judging by this board, he sure seems unpopular. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Carlos actually does take this. The guy has a huge twitter following. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but in his case, they appear to be voting. And like him or not, he can dance.

And last season with Nastia was just a mess of issues - the flying back and forth, the narrative given to her all season of being cold and not connecting, Derek getting injured so her having to dance with someone else for a few weeks, etc. It would have taken Herculean effort for Nastia to have won under all that. And technically she would have made the finals but they decided to opt for 3 couples last season.

Also, Nastia was dancing with someone else while Derek was in NYC doing his Broadway show and they would facetime him footage. It made sense that Nastia and Derek never "connected" they never saw each other really. I always thought Nastia had more chemistry with the other partner. 

I just can't believe Derek is going to win another trophy. And Bindi is... okay. I mean, don't get me wrong, she's really good but I don't like the constant praise always. 

I don't know. This seasons was kind of a wash. I love Nick Carter because BSB forever but aside from that, nothing was fun at all to watch. I could probably blue print an episode before I watched it and be so close as to what the judges would say/how they would react. But whatever. Maybe the spring season will be better? I wish Len would return. I missed him.

• Love 1

For those who care about such things, the Teams rankings and scores (adjusted for "percentage of total judges' points awarded") after each round last night were:

First Dance:

1.  Alek     27.52

2. Carlos  25.69

3. Bindi     24.77

4. Nick      22.02

Dance-Off:

1. Carlos  26.96

2. Alek     26.09

Bindi    26.09

4. Nick     20.87

Trio:

1. Carlos  26.67

Bindi     26.67

3. Alek      25.33

4. Nick      24.00

So overall, the scoring gradually moved Alek much closer to last place (5.5 pts v.s. 1.33 pts), but otherwise didn't move things that much.  Of course without knowing the viewer-vote trends it's impossible to know if that 4 pt difference will make a difference between Alek and Nick.  But without running the numbers, and just going by the "feel" of the night, I'm surprised that Alek is so close to last.

• Love 1

I wouldn't be surprised if that bottom two appearance motivated both Nick and Bindi's fans.

I did read quite a bit of panic from those who aren't familiar with the shenanigans of the show.

who the hell is voting for Carlos?

ME!!! Or at least I would have if I'd voted.:)   I know next to nothing about the guy or his wife, and don't care to know more, but I've enjoyed his dancing and he's been one of the ones who's been marked down by decree of TPTB.  I loved everything about his trio last night which I thought they all nailed, and I thought it made Nick's pale in comparison, and of course, Nick got the 10's.  That ALMOST made me pick up the phone, but I refuse to play the DWTS game anymore, so nada.  Plus, he was so much better than Alek in the dance-off.

As for Nick, I watched last night prepared to cheer for Nick.  I wanted him to do well, but that first dance was not good and I didn't feel the trio at all.  I thought he really brought in in the dance-off, however, and should have won.

I can easily believe Derek will win.  He is a brilliant choreographer.  I don't understand why so many hate/dislike him.  If it because he is favored by the judges, there is a reason for that.  He is damn good at what he does.  Their praise is not unfounded.  

• Love 3

For Bindi I can also see a more dramatic dance (still upbeat) representing growth and opening up, bursting out etc. Not starting from a dark place but a smaller place. A relatively unknown Australian girl is now known globally. I have no clue how many countries get this show but that gist anyway. . I have faith in Derek to choreograph something worthy of three 10s.

I loved seeing Peta, I like her!

I have forgotten how it goes next week for the semi finals. Two are eliminated, right?

*Last night* was the Semi-Finals. They mentioned it repeatedly--I heard it repeatedly, anyway--including Tom, the British guy who usually says something like "This is Dancing with the Stars" as they show the logo at the top of the show (he says something like "This is the Semi-Finals of..." at the beginning of that week; he'll mention it's the Finals next week, probably on Monday & Tuesday both.

Love Val and Jenna's dance!!  Jenna should have been a pro way before Allison was made one.  Also, I agree with whoever said that Hayley looked impressive in her bumper even though she wasn't classified as a ballroom dancer on SYTYCD.  I don't know if that means she didn't have any ballroom training though.

First dances:

Bindi - She really needs to tone down her facial expressions.  It was too exaggerated.  I don't know why CAI mentioned Carlos' faces and not Bindi's.  I'm not sure if it's in this dance or the samba, but Derek was close to the crotch and bob.  He did the crotch part but not the bob.  Yuck!!  Don't do that with a 17 year old.  This was a good salsa but I agree with the judges that it needed more hip action.

It's a good thing that the Irwins live at the zoo and not a small apartment.  I noticed Bindi's brother is exactly like Bindi.  That's a little too much raining happiness for me.

Alek - This was Alek's best dance.  He's still not in the same level as the other three but I won't be upset if he wins either.  He's a lot better than some other people that have made the finals.

Carlos - I didn't like the rope in this dance.  At first, it just seemed like it was in the way and they didn't do much with it.  Then, they finally did something but it was too much like Derek's & Amy's freestyle move.  I would have preferred if they didn't have a rope at all because the choreography and the dancing without the rope was interesting.

Nick - I was rooting for him since he treated Tamar so well.  But I can't vote for somebody if he doesn't dance well.  The first part seemed rushed and I couldn't tell if it was because of the music.  Then they had a long pause where Sharna was giving him a pep talk.  I couldn't tell if he blanked, got ahead of the music, messed up, or what.  He did better after that but still tentative.

Dance-offs - I don't know what CAI saw.  I thought Carlos clearly beat Alek.  Bindi and Nick were closer.  For Bindi, I liked the rolls and she did get her hips moving.  Then I was going to see if she had the samba bounce but then they started doing tricks and they lost me.  I agree with the poster that liked Nick's maturity and sexual feel to his samba.  But he needed a little more content so I was o.k. with the judges choosing Bindi and Derek.

Trios:

Bindi - During the package, Derek made a comment on the routine being hard on Bindi's feet.  I was thinking, "Poor girl!!  Her feet are already a mess."  When they showed her spinning the rope around her neck, I was thinking, "Oh no! I hope it's not like Carlos' routine where there are too tricks and gadgets"  However, I thought this routine was well choreographed and the props did not get in the way.  Bindi also did an excellent job keeping up with Derek and Mark and was in sync with them.  She also wasn't too over the top with her facial expressions either..  Could a pro do a better job than Bindi?  Of course, but the pros could do a better job with all the dances.

Alek - I think Emma and Lindsay choreographed a smart routine for him.  He's really strong and the lifts were beautiful.  Lindsay and Emma were making creative shapes in the air.  We even got to see Alek move his hips with them.

Carlos - Tom got me excited because I thought we were gong to see Karina samba.  This was a cute routine and suited Carlos' personality.

Nick - He looked tired during the package and I was wondering if he was going to make it through the routine. I remembered it being clean and good.  Sharna likes putting jazzy moves with Nick's Latin dances.  I can see why since he's good with them but it's starting to look too similar to his other dances.

So I guess I'm back to not really having a favorite.  I probably won't vote unless somebody's freestyle really wows me.

• Love 2

Bindi/Derek - Salsa - that was fun.  I think we've seen better salsas on the show, but this was good.

Alek/Lindsay - Waltz - I hated the obvious manipulation of the serviceman and the flag and the patriotic song.  The waltz itself was not bad, but he still is kind of clunky in places. No way that dance deserved all 10s. 

Carlos/Witney - Contemporary - Still don't generally like contemporary on this show, and this was no exception.  It was okay but not great.  Up to this point, nothing has really wowed me.

Nick/Sharna - Tango - again, it was okay but not great.  He just didn't seem to have the right posture and attitude for the tango.

Gorgeous dance by Jenna and Val.  It's always a treat to see the pros do some serious dancing.

Dance-off:

Alek/Lindsey vs. Carlos/Witney - no contest here.  Alek gave it the old college try, but Carlos was much better.  Have no idea what Carrie Anne was talking about.

Bindi/Derek vs. Nick/Sharna - this was a tough one.  I thought they both did a great job.  I'm surprised not one of the judges gave it to Nick and Sharna, but then again, I'm not.  The judges have been on the Bindi train since the first week. 

Trios:

Bindi/Derek/Mark - It felt kinda been there-done that for me.  Between the box, the synchronized arm movements, and the light (which has been used multiple times on SYTYCD), I just felt like I'd seen that dance before.  It was danced well, but I didn't get the "genius" comments at all.  It was pretty much a retread/mash-up of several other dances.

Alek/Lindsay/Emma - Again, not bad but it didn't wow me.  Alek can do the lifts like nobody's business, but his dancing seems to have plateau'd several weeks ago.  I enjoyed it well enough, but that's about all I can say.

Carlos/Witney/Karina - Now this was fun and energetic, and I thought Carlos did a great job with it.  One of the few dances of the night that made me really want to pay attention.

Nick/Sharna/Peta - I thought Nick really stepped it up on this one.  I enjoyed the choreography, they all seemed to be having a lot of fun, and no obvious (to me anyway) mistakes by Nick.  I am completely baffled as to how he ended up at the bottom of the leaderboard.  That's just wrong.  < sigh >

Overall, I actually thought this was a bit lackluster for the semi-finals.  Everyone actually danced fairly well, I thought, but very little of the choreography really grabbed me.

It took nearly 40 minutes for me to get my 5 phone votes in for Nick, so if his fans were complacent before, they weren't last night.

Same here! And count me as someone who came into the season not expecting to like Nick at all. I like Sharna, but my willful disregard of BSB back in their heyday meant that I didn't know much more about Nick than boy band/substance abuse. But he won me over early on for his personality, attitude and dancing. And he's gotten at least some of my votes every week (except maybe the first; I can't remember).

Obviously, I'm just one person, and you probably can't extrapolate an entire voting trend from me, but I gotta wonder how many other viewers have had a similar experience. 

Val and Jena's prolonged dance was marvelous!  I would totally be down for such a featured pro dance every week.  Magnificent.

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, and beyond. ABC, please make that happen.

They were terrific and I'd love to see it again.

• Love 2

*Last night* was the Semi-Finals. They mentioned it repeatedly--I heard it repeatedly, anyway--including Tom, the British guy who usually says something like "This is Dancing with the Stars" as they show the logo at the top of the show (he says something like "This is the Semi-Finals of..." at the beginning of that week; he'll mention it's the Finals next week, probably on Monday & Tuesday both.

Thanks, I use FF liberally!  OK, so next week is the finals and we see who wins on Tuesday I presume.  

I watched a couple of dances from last night on youtube.  Nick and Sharna's Tango.  and their Trio with Peta, and then I watched Bindi's Freestyle/contemporary

Nick lost that beautiful frame he had for the Downton Abbey themed V Waltz, and the footwork went amiss. I think it was a matter of internalising that heavy video package and not being in the moment with Sharna.  I'm not sure how much he'll be forgiven for it from the audience, but it was his waterloo so to speak.  I guess there just isn't enough time to drill basics.  The Trio I thought was great, it really had a lot of Salsa content, it went to BSB movement but carefully back to Salsa without losing the rhythmic vibe so it was a fun one for me.  Will he get through?  Even in a so so year he's still more interesting than the other two.  

The box dance- oh vey. Where they synchronized, yes. Was it interesting? I thought it was self indulgent on Mark and Derek's part. They did their little floor movements while Bindi waited.  I mean, sure she can follow really well and very precisely. But so can a drill team. It would be nice to move beyond that to really tell a story.  I just don't think that's in Bindi's wheelhouse to do.

I didn't see the other two   

• Love 1

Love Val and Jenna's dance!!  Jenna should have been a pro way before Allison was made one.  Also, I agree with whoever said that Hayley looked impressive in her bumper even though she wasn't classified as a ballroom dancer on SYTYCD.  I don't know if that means she didn't have any ballroom training though.

Yes! I watched that double cartwheel move Alan and Hayley pulled off several times in a row to figure out what was going on - I was expecting him to put her down and then she was going around again. (Tom's reaction to that was also fairly adorable.) 

• Love 1

I forgot to mention, no I'm not "shipping" them (the man is married with a baby on the way after all and Sharna has a long-term boyfriend she's very committed to from my knowledge) but that moment between Sharna and Nick when he stumbled and she gave him the pep talk was one of the most tender moments I've seen with a pairing this season. That felt like a real connection between two people. I especially loved the way they kind of just mouthed the words to each other. 

• Love 5

Tom was pretty clear in his wording, and I don't believe for a moment the show would outright lie and say one of Bindi or Nick had the lowest combined votes and judges' points, if that weren't the case. They could have easily just placed them in "jeopardy", as they do, if it was just done to drum up drama. And yeah, of the two, I believe Nick was in the bottom because Bindi is winning this thing. I'm sure it scared some of Nick's complacent fans into voting, so I do not expect him to be placing in 4th place. I think Carlos will come in 4th, with Alek and Nick fighting it out for 2n place. It'll be interesting to me to see just how far ahead, or not, the judges will place Nick from Alek. If they can help it, I think their preferred outcome would be for Nick to place in the top 2 on Tuesday's finale.

I can easily believe Derek will win.  He is a brilliant choreographer.  I don't understand why so many hate/dislike him.  If it because he is favored by the judges, there is a reason for that.  He is damn good at what he does.  Their praise is not unfounded.  

Indeed. He's deserving of all the praise and the wins because his dances are just more interesting to watch (Mark's too, although they are always a little on the weird side). The trio dance with Karina and Witney was interesting because it was a Charleston, which we hardly ever see on this show. But what Lindsay and Emma put together for Alek and what Peta and Sharna put together for Nick were as basic as their respective dance styles get. Even if the cube and the gimmicks aren't your cup of tea, you have to admire the creativity that goes into every one of Derek's dances. He brings it to a new level every time. 

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, and beyond. ABC, please make that happen.

They were terrific and I'd love to see it again.

I have a feeling Val and Jenna got to do a full-length dance to fill in the time that would have been spent on Val and Tamar's dances. But yes, fifthed, sixthed, seventhed, etc., especially if Jenna is involved because I love pretty much every thing she does. Definite girl crush. 

• Love 2