Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E12: Trios Night

• Start Topic

I gotta say my favorites choreography wise by far have been Cool Cat in Town Quickstep, and the Downton Abbey Viennese Waltz and the Saturday Night Fever Samba.  Those for me have been the best choreography of the season along with Val and Tamar's Funky Charleston, as well as Sharna's contribution which I'm sure was significant to that Team Dance that blew Derek out of the water.   

Edited by Andie1

As far as the team dance to This is Halloween, it was pretty obvious in the package who was in charge. The choreographic challenger to Derek is .... Allison. Guess that's why she's on the show.

From the package, it looked like it was Sharna and Allison that choreographed that routine.

Also, thanks Andie1 for bringing up some of Sharna's other memorable choreography this season.  That's why I disagree with others who posted that Nick hasn't had any memorable routines.  Besides those that you listed, I also like his jazz and contemporary.  His salsa trio was pretty good too.  I like the maturity and elegance to his dances.

As for Derek, I think what stands out with his choreography versus somebody new like Witney, is that he knows how to work with the camera so that a routine looks good to people watching on TV.  He also knows how to use props effectively.  This week is a good example.  Previously, I commented that I thought that the rope sometimes got in the way in Witney and Carlos' routine.  Derek, Mark, and Bindi's trio had more props but they didn't get in the way.  When they were done with the box, it was in the back and that area was darkened.  We didn't see the rope until it was needed.  Then Derek and Mark brought the box back in for the routine and I think Bindi threw the rope before that.   So the props never got in the way of the routine.    

• Love 2

Rewatching the dances, I have to say that I *love* Sharna and Nick's tango...that moment of connection (resetting) in the middle was so real, and so indicative of their friendship and partnership. I'd rather watch that dance 10 more times than Carlos and Witney's contemporary even once - they so clearly hate each other. 

Bindi and Derek's samba was samba-lite, for sure, but she really sold it for me with her enthusiasm and facial expressions. And I've always thought she looked more like her dad, but holy cow there was a moment in the middle of the dance where she looked just like her mom. 

This season more than ever, I really see the effects that the partnership has on the dancing - it was clear that Val and Tamar couldn't stand each other, and no matter how beautiful of a dancer she was, I didn't enjoy watching them. I'm really surprised that Carlos has gone this far with the obvious antagonism that he and Witney have. 

• Love 2
it was clear that Val and Tamar couldn't stand each other, and no matter how beautiful of a dancer she was, I didn't enjoy watching them. I'm really surprised that Carlos has gone this far with the obvious antagonism that he and Witney have.

Who knows how they really feel.  But that's what I saw in Val and Tamar's dancing and it's definitely what I see in Witney and Carlos' dancing too.

• Love 2

Sharna's good, but there's a reason she hasn't won yet, and to me, her choreography isn't on a Cheryl/Karina/Mark type of level. It's the truth. 

She tends to overdo it a lot of the times, not in the content per say, but in that she thinks it's better than it actually is. I like her, don't get me wrong, but saying her choreo is on the level of Derek and such is a bit outlandish, IMO.

• Love 1

Choreo is just as subjective as dancing as far as I'm concerned. You like who you like for whatever reason you like. I'm not going to judge who is or isn't a good choreographer based on their work on this show. I judge based on who I think does their partner justice. Getting the likes of Andy Dick and a man missing an arm and a leg on the same side to look their best regardless of how far they made it in the "competition" is more impressive to me than taking someone who could already dance all the way. I don't see Cheryl or Karina as easily handling adversity as a Sharna or an Emma or heck Anna this season with Gary. That's why they get who they get partner wise.

• Love 1

Who knows how they really feel.  But that's what I saw in Val and Tamar's dancing and it's definitely what I see in Witney and Carlos' dancing too.

You're right, no one knows how they really feel, but honestly Witney looks like she hasn't really gotten along that well with anyone but Alfonso. She looked the same way with Chris Soules and Cody Simpson. Maybe it's just her personality.

• Love 2

Cody was a pain in the ass who didn't want to work hard (or much at all). He thought he could get by on charm (of which I saw none). I don't blame Witney for struggling in trying to teach that one.

It looked like Cody only wanted to do hip-hop.  He didn't think anything else looked cool enough  This season, Hayes was younger but acted more mature.  He was willing to try anything.  I know a lot of people don't like minors on the show.  However, at least the show has done a good job choosing minors that are mature and work hard.  Besides Hayes, Shawn, Zendaya, Willow, Bindi, and Sadie had good personalities and have been more mature than some adults on this show. 

• Love 2

IMO Witney looks like she doesn't have a whole lot of patience with people who aren't ringers. She just seems a bit immature. You might be right about Cody Simpson, but Chris Soules seemed like he had a good attitude. He just wasn't very good. Emma, Sharna, Peta, etc. seem a lot more patient.

• Love 1

IMO Witney looks like she doesn't have a whole lot of patience with people who aren't ringers. She just seems a bit immature. You might be right about Cody Simpson, but Chris Soules seemed like he had a good attitude. He just wasn't very good. Emma, Sharna, Peta, etc. seem a lot more patient.

Chris and Witney supposedly dated after he broke up with Whitney.  So if that's true, they must have gotten along well enough.  That's why I don't trust those packages.

ETA - I didn't notice that Chris and Witney didn't get along.  Witney and Carlos look like they don't.  Maybe, they just have different personalities.  He seems to rub some people on this forum the wrong way.  I'm indifferent to him.  However, Bindi drives me crazy because she's over the top too peppy.  However, I can appreciate her dances which is all I care about and she seems like a sweetheart.  It also seems like Derek adores her and is protective of her like a big brother.  Alek and Lindsay look and act like siblings.  Nick trusts Sharna. 

I think Tamar was too busy and that's why she often looked blank face.   I have no doubt that if she had more time, her performance would have improved espeically since she was technically the best dancer.  Then, the show would have showed packages where Val and Tamar got along.

Edited by realdancemom

Tamar looked like Val's bossy older sister. They definitely had chemistry, just not the shippy kind. I thought they were cute together.

I thought they were fine.  However, I don't think the show always showed them in a positive light, e.g. when they told her to say that she's the best dancer.

I rewatched the show on the weekend, and as much as I loved Alek/Lindsay's waltz, I didn't think it deserved a perfect score. One ten would've been fine, or maybe even all 9s. I thought that if any dance deserved a perfect score, it was their trio dance. That Argentine Tango with Emma was incredible. Alek's footwork was fantastic, he had amazing chemistry with both Emma AND Lindsay, and it was hella sexy. That being said I am glad they got a perfect score at all!