Type keyword(s) to search

American Crime Story in the Media

• Start Topic

Earlier tonight I was at dinner, and the table next to me was discussing the show. And the guy mentioned Ito, and suddenly, Dana Carvey popped into my head. "God has 3 letters, Ito has 3 letters, can't be a coincidence!" and then the entire bit came back to me and I started giggling madly. We quoted it constantly in high school.

Came home and just watched it. I'd forgotten all about it. Highly recommend.

• Love 3

Wow. Just...wow. I felt like Marty McFly from Back to the Future when I watched 30 for 30: June 17, 1994, except that I think it's more accurate that I just traveled back in time when I was alive instead of not born yet, as was the case with Marty.

Watching brought everything back. I felt it was 22 years ago. I was stuck watching like I was back then. While I refused to watch the trial live, and all the talking heads, I couldn't get away from the clips. And before it all started, I did watch that Bronco chase. I noticed something that was very telling. When OJ was speaking in 1985, and thanking Nicole? The camera panned to her, and her face...her expression...was frozen. There was no expression. No smile on her face, like we normally see when husbands praise their wives for being their wives, or responsible for the man they are, blah, blah. And I know now, while watching, that she'd been living with his abuse for 8 years at that point, per Autopsy.

And I noticed, for the show, they changed the gender of the 911 dispatcher that AC spoke with, to a female in the show; in real life, it was a man. And watching the way the journalists, and cameramen, camerawomen were such vultures, I don't regret not doing anything with the newly received Journalism degree I had when this all imploded. I knew then and was right to listen to my gut, that I didn't have the stomach to do whatever it took to get a glimpse, a sound byte from anyone, everyone involved, their privacy be damned. I don't regret it.

And I can see now, how Cuba tried to really make OJ sympathetic on the show during the car chase; I was listening again, and was reminded again, how very, very narcissistic, self-absorbed, manipulative he sounded. And then when he finally showed up to say he wasn't guilty, right after he was arrested. I remember how he looked like he was doped up to the max; but of course Shapiro was playing it as he was very, very depressed and I remember how he was kept on suicide watch. And then when he showed up again, it was with a chipper, defiant "Absolutely, Positively Not Guilty!"

I will say this; I didn't recognize the one reporter, but I do appreciate, how back then, they would wait for confirmation of someting before going to the cameras and presenting it as fact. You heard him say, "but we don't have confirmation" or something like that. But the flip side was CNN, who posited that there was a possibility of a second killer.

And OMGEE! I saw a very young Craig Kilborn, Keith Olbermann! And because I can't stand her, I laughed that due to ALL stations and affiliates covering the chase, that Bawa Walters was cut off; that is, they were never able to get her on air. Watching the technical glitches, loss of sound, picture, zig-zaggy bars. Ahhhh, the memories of the late 80s and 90s! Good Times! Good Times!

And just like last night, watching this, I was on the edge of my seat, and I think I even held my breath toward the end when OJ finally came out of the Bronco.

Who'dathunk?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

Apologies for the rather late notice, but I just heard Courtney B. Vance (Johnnie Cochran) will be on CBS' The Talk this afternoon (Thursday), in case anyone's interested in watching his interview, which is probably promoting this show.

The Talk normally airs on CBS at 2PM Eastern/1PM Central. Check local listings for the correct time & channel in your area, especially if you're west of Central Time.

If you miss(ed) the show, all or part of the interview should be available online--at CBS.com, & perhaps the usual other sources--at some point after the show airs this afternoon.

• Love 1

Malcolm-Jamal Warner was on Today this morning and he said it took two days for them to film the chase scene. They had to shut down the freeway for a weekend. I admire their commitment but that must have been a nightmare for LA folks, even on a weekend.

• Love 3

Earlier tonight I was at dinner, and the table next to me was discussing the show. And the guy mentioned Ito, and suddenly, Dana Carvey popped into my head. "God has 3 letters, Ito has 3 letters, can't be a coincidence!" and then the entire bit came back to me and I started giggling madly. We quoted it constantly in high school.

Came home and just watched it. I'd forgotten all about it. Highly recommend.

. So glad you posted this. It was my favorite comedy skit that pointed out how rediculous the whole "OJ was framed" theory and the trial in general was. MOO

Malcolm-Jamal Warner was on Today this morning and he said it took two days for them to film the chase scene. They had to shut down the freeway for a weekend. I admire their commitment but that must have been a nightmare for LA folks, even on a weekend.

Given that I live in LA and often work weekends, I remember when this happened. It actually wasn't that bad. They took over a small stretch just before the junction so when I was rerouted, it actually shaved off about 15 minutes from my commute and I found a new shortcut. 

• Love 3

I'd like to see a Natalie Holloway, Casey Anthony, even Lizze Borden or Black Dahlia season, if they want to go more historic. Someone mentioned the Lindbergh Baby. That would be interesting, too.

American Crime Story: The People vs. Fatty Arbuckle would also be pretty fascinating.

• Love 5

I'd like to see a Natalie Holloway, Casey Anthony, even Lizze Borden or Black Dahlia season, if they want to go more historic. Someone mentioned the Lindbergh Baby. That would be interesting, too.

I thought I had heard that Murphy wanted to do something on the Manson murders.  His take on that might be interesting.

I'm all for anything classic Hollywood.

• Love 3

Given that I live in LA and often work weekends, I remember when this happened. It actually wasn't that bad. They took over a small stretch just before the junction so when I was rerouted, it actually shaved off about 15 minutes from my commute and I found a new shortcut. 

Ok good to know haha. I feel like whenever someone talks about LA they always complain about the traffic, so I just imagined this whole thing being a logistical nightmare. But I guess not!

I thought I had heard that Murphy wanted to do something on the Manson murders.  His take on that might be interesting.

I'm all for anything classic Hollywood.

I have a weird obsession with the Manson stuff, so part of me was hoping this series would eventually tackle it. But it's also a story that's kind of overdone in a lot of ways. I think there have been at least two TV movies based on Helter Skelter, and NBC is doing a lot with it in their summer series Aquarius. But the part of me that get can't enough of the Manson case doesn't mind if it's overdone lol.

• Love 1

Me too, helenamonster.  I'll watch anything on the Manson case.   That said, if Murphy does decide to tackle it, I hope he won't be portraying the killers as these poor little drug addicted kids who were soooo influenced by Manson and therefore not responsible.  Ugh.

• Love 2

Me too, helenamonster.  I'll watch anything on the Manson case.   That said, if Murphy does decide to tackle it, I hope he won't be portraying the killers as these poor little drug addicted kids who were soooo influenced by Manson and therefore not responsible.  Ugh.

I was going to say that I hope if he does, he follows Bugliosi's book, "Helter Skelter." Then I remembered the tv movie of "Helter Skelter" from the '70s. That was good, though pretty straight-forward.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3444706/Sister-Nicole-Brown-Simpson-SLAMS-actor-David-Schwimmer-huddling-Kris-Jenner-role-ex-Robert-Kardashian-O-J-Simpson-miniseries-not-reaching-victims-families.html

Uh...yikes.  If she's been quoted correctly, this rant is a bit insane from Nicole's sister, certainly the part saying Schwimmer should have consulted Nicole's family instead of Kris Kardashian for the role.  What? 

I get the anger at the murder of Nicole and Ron being shown again though, and when she talks about Justin and Sydney it's interesting.  Still.  wow.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3444706/Sister-Nicole-Brown-Simpson-SLAMS-actor-David-Schwimmer-huddling-Kris-Jenner-role-ex-Robert-Kardashian-O-J-Simpson-miniseries-not-reaching-victims-families.html

Uh...yikes. If she's been quoted correctly, this rant is a bit insane from Nicole's sister, certainly the part saying Schwimmer should have consulted Nicole's family instead of Kris Kardashian for the role. What?

I get the anger at the murder of Nicole and Ron being shown again though, and when she talks about Justin and Sydney it's interesting. Still. wow.

Wow...this was interesting. Like to hear about Sydney and Justin - can't believe Sydney is 30 now!!

Most interesting was her revealing that the premiere episode was on OJ's and Nicole's wedding anniversary. That makes my esteem for Ryan Murphy et al. go down even more.

They've managed to get some paparazzi shots recently.  I feel for them, they've been able to disappear quite well, but this show is making their photos valuable again.  Sydney looks nothing like what I expected (yes, I did look.)

• Love 2

They've managed to get some paparazzi shots recently. I feel for them, they've been able to disappear quite well, but this show is making their photos valuable again. Sydney looks nothing like what I expected (yes, I did look.)

Wow! Sydney looked nothing like I expected either...but Justin...Justin looked disturbingly like his father in the pictures I saw.

I also read an article written two years ago where they interviewed an ex-boyfriend of hers outlining how they believe drug lords killed Nicole. Sounds like OJ has certainly influenced her with that particular pet theory...

Edited by Sarahsmile416

A link from last week, but legendary sportscaster (and former OJ Simpson friend) Al Michaels appeared on The Bill Simmons Podcast. Among other things, he talked about ACS (he'd seen the first episode), then gave general impressions of the real case and its players. The discussion starts at about the 43:20 mark and goes to the 49:00 minute mark. Then, at about 1:09:20, there's another OJ question and Michaels discusses a post-murder visit with him.

Wow...this was interesting. Like to hear about Sydney and Justin - can't believe Sydney is 30 now!!

Most interesting was her revealing that the premiere episode was on OJ's and Nicole's wedding anniversary. That makes my esteem for Ryan Murphy et al. go down even more.

How many people actually knew their anniversary? I'm not sure there'd be any benefit to the premiere falling on this date.

I can understand the family's frustration and anger about this series, but Tanya's evident anger belies her comments that she has moved on and OJ is just "vapor" to her.

• Love 6

Really the premiere date was probably set by FX based on their schedule, avoiding the holiday period and capitalizing on sweeps. If Ryan Murphy or any other producer of the show had any say in the premiere date, I'd be very shocked.

• Love 7

This is sort of related to the case and it's in the media (commercial), so I'm posting it here.

I have got to say, I admit, this show has sucked me back in and I'm watching it, but I am really very disgusted by Toyota's latest commercial about its Prius. It is a rip-off/"reenactment" if you will, of the Bronco chase. Along with people holding up posters with "Go Prius!" on a bridge, a slow "chase" on a highway.  I just...have no words. Wait, I do. Tacky comes to mind. As well as a host of other words, which I can see in my brain, but am unable to put in this post. Just...gross.

• Love 6

Uh...yikes.  If she's been quoted correctly, this rant is a bit insane from Nicole's sister, certainly the part saying Schwimmer should have consulted Nicole's family instead of Kris Kardashian for the role.  What?

Maybe I misread something, but I didn't see where she said "instead of." I took it to mean "along with."

How would they know Robert Kardasian better than the mother of his children, and his ex wife?  The Browns didn't "know" him at all, they saw him at the trial, but I doubt they ever had a single conversation.  That's what I meant.

• Love 3

How would they know Robert Kardasian better than the mother of his children, and his ex wife?  The Browns didn't "know" him at all, they saw him at the trial, but I doubt they ever had a single conversation.  That's what I meant.

Actually, I assumed she was speaking about the bolded part. That maybe in court the Browns saw some kind of arrogance/hints that he isn't the "good guy" the show is painting him to be that Kris wouldn't have admitted to.

ETA: In the end, though, it wouldn't have mattered, DS has to play RK as was intended by the show's creators, regardless of what any of the Browns had to say.

Edited by ByTor

This is sort of related to the case and it's in the media (commercial), so I'm posting it here.

I have got to say, I admit, this show has sucked me back in and I'm watching it, but I am really very disgusted by Toyota's latest commercial about its Prius. It is a rip-off/"reenactment" if you will, of the Bronco chase. Along with people holding up posters with "Go Prius!" on a bridge, a slow "chase" on a highway.

The actor that is sitting in the front passenger seat, Chris Bauer, is playing Det. Tom Lange in this very series. (He played Faith Yokas' husband on Third Watch.)

The O.J. trial was simultaneously farce and tragedy, and it's to this series' credit that it manages to capture both of those tones without feeling like whiplash. An episode like "100 Percent Not Guilty" largely dwells on the circus of it all, with Bob Shapiro and Johnnie Cochran jockeying for control of the defense team, Faye Resnick putting out a book, the celebrity-obsessed Lance Ito being named judge for the trial, and more. And a lot of that stuff is fun, particularly in the rest of the Dream Team struggling to hide their bewilderment and/or contempt for Shapiro as he reveals just how unprepared he is for any of this.

Yet the episode's able to turn on a dime for two impressive bits of monologuing: one a glorious and fanciful piece of oratory, the other a hard slap of reality over what the case is actually about.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/on-the-people-v-oj-simpson-its-cochran-vs-shapiro-for-dream-team-leader#hqXXXSVqCqHQ7EOV.99

The People v. O.J. Simpson’s Connie Britton on Her Final Scenes As Faye Resnick, Playing the Bad Girl for Once, and the Friday Night Lights Reunion

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/connie-britton-faye-resnick-fnl-reunion.html

Tell me a little bit about how you prepared for Faye. We've seen her on Real Housewives recently, and there's certainly a lot of footage from back then. How did you get into the mind-set?

I did a lot of research. It's a little nerve-racking playing a character that is still living and in the public eye, so I really wanted to be as accurate as I could. I watched as much video as I could get my hands on, particularly video of that time — video and photographs. Obviously, there were things that are more recent, but I wanted to stay as close to that period as I could, because I think as we all evolve, sure, she's a different person now. I really want to have that version of Faye in my mind, and I read the book that she wrote about Nicole. It was a very incendiary book that caused all this trouble, which was awesome. I felt so decadent that I had the excuse to read that book.

Edited by Umbelina

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/feb/24/people-v-oj-simpson-episode-four-connie-britton-faye-resnick

I really liked this review.

Her scenes are hilarious because, in many ways, Resnick represents everything odious about the OJ trial. The salacious nature of the trial was a big part of what made it such a cultural phenomenon. But, as if they knew they had to pull back from the ledge of pure camp, the writers take this opportunity to swing the spotlight to Fred Goldman, father of Ron Goldman. The scene in which the elder Goldman unloads all of his righteous anger and despair on Marcia Clark is one of the best the show has produced so far, because it not only reminds the characters of the stakes at play in this drama – it also reminds the audience. We can chuckle at the absurdity of Travolta and Britton, but two people were brutally murdered. That tended to get lost amongst the sea of late-night talk show jokes and cash-in tell-alls.

• Love 4

I never pay attention to the Kardashian kids, of course I hear certain things here and there, because it's unavoidable.  I do remember hearing that about Khloe though.  No clue, don't really care, but she is very tall, in a "one of these things is not like the other" way.

• Love 2

The tabloids like to speculate about Khloe's bio dad, with OJ as one of the contenders. They'll do side-by-side photos of her with Sydney, trying to play up a resemblance. I don't really see it and Khloe has publicly joked about the rumors, so I doubt it's true.

The entertainment shows had new photos of Justin and Sydney because over the weekend, Denise's son married somebody who was on The Hills, and they attended the wedding. You certainly can't blame them for shunning the spotlight, but I'd be fascinated to know what they think about the show and...all of it, really.

• Love 2

I'm sure they hate it and are probably both trying to avoid it, and the press. 

It would be fascinating to know, I agree.  Even so, I really hope they are left alone, and are able to lead their lives, in spite of the horrific events of their childhood. 

• Love 5