Type keyword(s) to search

American Crime Story in the Media

• Start Topic

I was all set to sympathize with her until I saw this.

They won the rights and had it republished with the title I did it: Confessions of the Killer and took his name off of it and put Fred and Kim's name on it, added some content about his guilt and other thoughts on the case. Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6

The Goldman family STOPPED OJ from profiting on that book, through the civil court judgement, all money goes directly to the plaintiffs in that case.  He hid most of his money, which is why he's in jail now, tried to steal some of his stuff back.  She didn't write it, the courts allowed her to stop him getting paid for it.  The only reason her name is on it is to let people know if they DO buy it, OJ won't get a cent.

Her books are:

Can't Forgive: My 20-Year Battle with O.J. Simpson

Media Circus: A Look at Private Tragedy in the Public Eye

His Name Is Ron: Our Search for Justice

I see absolutely nothing wrong with her writing books about a horrific loss, and how it disrupted her life, and how she feels about OJ, about the circus,and certainly, about her brother.

• Love 13
(edited)
How Vanity Fair’s Dominick Dunne Relentlessly Pursued the O.J. Simpson Story

“Lance Ito might have been the judge, but Dominick was the mayor of the courtroom,” says Jeffrey Toobin, the New Yorker writer whose coverage of the trial forms the basis for the new series. “He was the only person in that courtroom who had access to everyone: the lawyers, the Goldman family, O.J.’s sister. Dominick had this irresistible charisma that attracted everyone even though his partisanship in the case could not have been clearer. He loudly proclaimed his belief in O.J.’s guilt from just about day one.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/02/dominick-dunne-oj-simpson-american-crime-story?mbid=nl_030116_Daily&CNDID=29505557&spMailingID=8607879&spUserID=MTA5MzMxNDM4OTQwS0&spJobID=880123380&spReportId=ODgwMTIzMzgwS0

Dominick Dunne’s Complete O.J. Simpson Trial Coverage

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2016/02/dominick-dunne-oj-simpson-trial-coverage

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
(edited)

Great interview, and I loved the acting details.  I also loved that they read the other books!

Given all the research you did, what did you learn about Darden that surprised you?

One of the things that touched me about Chris, knowing that this brother passed away from AIDS during the trial. He had a brother who lived in Richmond who he tried to visit as often as possible. But he couldn’t see as much as he wanted to because he was immersed in the trial of the century. He also had a little girl right as he was graduating from law school who was in Richmond and he would go back and forth from L.A. all the time to be a part of her life. He was a dedicated father. It said a lot to me about who he was as a person. That he was a man of integrity. This was a man who tried to do the right thing. He tried to do the right thing within the confines of this trial as well. He and Marcia, their largest shortcoming was they weren’t necessarily aware of the court of public opinion. How powerful it was. They thought they were trying a murder case within the walls of the courtroom. The defense team knew to have that savvy. They were camera-ready. Chris and Marcia were not camera ready at the beginning of the trial. They didn’t realize just how important and powerful that influence would be in the trial. Cochran was allowed to change the interior of O.J.’s house, to take down naked pictures of Paula Barbieri, and put up civil rights pictures and show a completely different picture to the jury of who O.J. Simpson was. That that was permissible boggles the mind.

Did this experience change your opinion of the verdict?

After six months of playing Chris Darden, it’s very hard for me to separate my views from his. Knowing the evidence that he was presented, and a lot of the evidence that wasn’t even allowed in the trial, it’s hard for me to see anything other than O.J. Simpson was guilty of a double murder. As a young black man at the time, I rejoiced at the verdict. And all of my black classmates rejoiced right along with me. And all of the other classmates who were not black looked at me as if we were crazy. I think what was difficult for them to understand was it was not a matter of innocence or guilt for me. Here was an example of the system working for someone who looks like me and that was a cause for rejoicing. Now it is 20 years later and I have a bit more perspective on the whole situation. It was not in the forefront of my mind that two people had died in the most brutal fashion possible. I do not rejoice the verdict 20 years later.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4

Article about Sarah Paulson in the NY Times.  This made me LOL, 'cause I completely agree about TLo!

As an actress, Ms. Paulson could relate to the scrutiny [that Marcia Clark faced]. “Every time that you go anywhere on the red carpet, now there are websites dedicated to picking you apart, like Tom and Lorenzo or whoever those guys are,” she said. “And they are so mean.”

• Love 1

GAAAH!

Why didn't I realize that Law & Order's Seventh Season trilogy, especially the second episode, was clearly a rip-off of this case! Except the murderer only killed his wife.  Same shit--LAPD kissing his ass (He's White though, not Black) and not doing a thing when the cops were called when he was beating her, and damned if the questions McCoy is asking him about the abuse, not similar to Petrocelli's question in the civil case...Judge is a moron...Garcetti gets a mention, as does the remark that they (the NY cops who were in CA) weren't going to participate in a "slow car chase" when his attorney, a Shapiro clone, who said that he couldn't actually turn himself in after all, because the poor sod's depressed and is in a 10 day program, so he can't be extradited.

I'd forgotten because I only watched this a couple of times, and I hated Benjamin Bratt, and I'm not a fan of this trilogy.

• Love 1

I was all set to sympathize with her until I saw this.

Goldman's have a credit on th of book because they both wrote essays for the book. Her books are about the media,and her personal struggle with the outcome.

• Love 2

TMZ has a story out today that a knife was found on the Rockingham property by construction worker (probably during the tearing down). Knife was given to a cop. Dummy kept it as memento. Recently decided to frame it with an inscription. He asked friend in DA Office to look up trial ID number or something so he could record it on frame. Guy was outraged and they got the knife from him. LAPD currently testing. TMZ says they were trying to keep it hush...hush. No, OJ cannot be tried again even if mixed blood is found. Mostly for info.

• Love 4
As a young black man at the time, I rejoiced at the verdict. And all of my black classmates rejoiced right along with me. And all of the other classmates who were not black looked at me as if we were crazy. I think what was difficult for them to understand was it was not a matter of innocence or guilt for me. Here was an example of the system working for someone who looks like me and that was a cause for rejoicing.

Its just hard to understand how black people, who were not celebrities, could think that OJs situation in any way represented "the system working for them" because OJ was not like them.  He was rich, he was a celebrity, he had the best defense money could buy, plus star-struck jurors and a judge.  Its not at all the same as the "system" working for ordinary, poor, or middle class people.

• Love 8

Wow I hadn't heard about that

There's no chain of custody or whatever they call it so it might not prove much but it could answer some questions if it turns out to be the murder weapon.

• Love 1

I think chain of custody only applies from the time the police are notified of the evidence's existence.

But either way it doesn't matter, except for potentially finally settling the issue if there are people still out there who think he's innocent.

• Love 5

TMZ has a story out today that a knife was found on the Rockingham property by construction worker (probably during the tearing down). Knife was given to a cop. Dummy kept it as memento. Recently decided to frame it with an inscription. He asked friend in DA Office to look up trial ID number or something so he could record it on frame. Guy was outraged and they got the knife from him. LAPD currently testing. TMZ says they were trying to keep it hush...hush. No, OJ cannot be tried again even if mixed blood is found. Mostly for info.

My mind is blown if this is what happened. This cop is going to get in trouble, right? 

• Love 4
(edited)

Its just hard to understand how black people, who were not celebrities, could think that OJs situation in any way represented "the system working for them" because OJ was not like them. He was rich, he was a celebrity, he had the best defense money could buy, plus star-struck jurors and a judge. Its not at all the same as the "system" working for ordinary, poor, or middle class people.

It was a sample of the system "working" (and I do use that term loosely) for someone who 'looked' like the average black person. Sure OJ, at that point, wasnt poor or disadvantaged but he was still black. You can ask Henry Louis Gates (Harvard Professor) if his status, and relative celebrity helped him when he was arrested on the doorstep of his own house because the police, I assume, couldnt comprehend a black man living in a well to do, "white" neighborhood. There are dozens of blacks of ALL socieconomic backgrounds who can identify with being mistreated by police and the justice system. The common demoninator is the color of their skin. Its not hard, IMO, to understand why blacks cheered when OJ was acquitted. It was a YES!, WE scored one, and "they" finally know what its like to be screwed over by the same justice system who's been doing it to us for centuries. I dont know many blacks who thought OJ didnt at least have something to do with the murders if not committed them himself. But its really hard to get worked up over THAT, when just a year or so earlier, a white jury pretty much ignored a black man being brutally beaten and acquitted the white cops who assaulted him. There was indisputable video evidence (beyond a reasonable doubt my ass) of the crime and they still acquitted. Then there are the hundreds of other cases some famous some not, of whites (whether cops or ordinary citizens) who have raped, lynched, and torchered blacks and never saw the inside of a prison cell, some probably werent even arrested.

I actually came here to discuss the knife thing. I was watching CNN, and I thought this has GOT to be some kind of publicity stunt for the show right? Not on the part of the LAPD, but on whoever supposedly found the knife or had it or whatever. The story is just too hookey to be true. And the timing of it (20 years later) is blowing my mind right now.

It reminds me of how the NYPD arrested or reopened their case against Robert Durst right in the middle of the HBO miniseries on him. The difference being Durst had never been previously put on trial for his wife's murder/disappearance or the murder of his friend so there's no double jeopardy to think about. But with OJ he's already been tried and found not guilty so, what is this knife, if it is the murder weapon supposed to do?

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 9

Wow, the knife thing is mind blowing, and someone (a cop) wanting to keep it, wow. Let's play some hypotheticals here for the legal eagles. IF this is THE knife, and let's say that they can extract DNA from Ron, Denise, and OJ. What then? What could possibly come of this? 

• Love 1

Nothing.  He's been tried and acquitted, so double jeopardy applies.  He's been sued and found civilly culpable.  There's nothing else they can do except not parole him on his current sentence.

• Love 5

But with OJ he's already been tried and found not guilty so, what is this knife, if it is the murder weapon supposed to do?

It won't do anything. Indeed, double jeopardy has attached, so O.J. can't be tried for the murders again. I doubt there's anyone who hasn't made up their mind about the case by now, but it's possible that any blood/DNA evidence gathered from the knife could sway any people who still doubt O.J.'s guilt.  On the other hand, the reliability of any such evidence can easily be discounted by virtue of the fact that the knife has been in someone's physical possession for 18 years.

Because O.J. couldn't be tried again, I suppose it really didn't matter if this knife came to light, but what an incredible dope that police officer was. I just can't even fathom what he was thinking, keeping a potential murder weapon as a souvenir and not immediately turning it over to the police when he came into possession of it.

• Love 4

Nothing.  He's been tried and acquitted, so double jeopardy applies.  He's been sued and found civilly culpable.  There's nothing else they can do except not parole him on his current sentence.

You're mostly likely right, but that's not strictly true. Dual sovereignty overrides his double jeopardy protections so the feds could try to convict him of a civil rights crime. The chance of this are pretty minuscule though--it would be hard to make a civil right charge stick because the facts of the case simply don't suggest one. O.J. wasn't a government employee, the murders weren't on public property, and there's no evidence of a hate crime.

I would be incredibly surprised if anything came of this, but if they were really desperate to nail him, they might look into the civil rights crime a little more, I guess. My bet would be nothing happens. Although someone could try to charge him with fraud for any money he made by claiming his innocence. 

• Love 1
(edited)

OJ can't be tried, but someone else could be.

The case is still open, since OJ was acquitted.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1

Wow, the knife thing is mind blowing, and someone (a cop) wanting to keep it, wow. Let's play some hypotheticals here for the legal eagles. IF this is THE knife, and let's say that they can extract DNA from Ron, Denise, and OJ. What then? What could possibly come of this? 

A hastily made new episode of The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story?

• Love 11

If it does turn out to be the knife (which, holy shit), can the cop be charged with obstruction of justice, or is there a statute of limitations on that? Are there any civil charges that could be filed against him? Is he still a working cop, could he maybe be stripped of his badge?

Ok but if this does turn out to be true how fucking flaming mad do you think Marcia Clark, Chris Darden, the Browns, and the Goldmans are going to be?

• Love 2

I believe the officer is retired. I hope he's charged with something, but stupidity is not against the law.

I can't believe the LAPD has another enormous black eye from this case.

• Love 4
(edited)

Unbelievable.

Updated with police response.

http://www.thewrap.com/knife-found-buried-at-oj-simpsons-former-estate-report/

The LAPD held a press conference on the discovery of the knife on Friday morning, saying that it has been turned over to the robbery-homicide division for investigation. LAPD Capt. Andrew Neiman says he does not know at this time if the officer who possessed the knife will face any criminal charges.

“I would think that an LAPD officer-if this story is accurate-any time you come into contact with evidence you should and shall submit that into evidence,” he said.

Neiman also corrected himself when he referred to this as the “OJ Simpson case.” “This is the Nicole Brown case, a double homicide case that is still ongoing,” he said.

Ron Goldman, once again, left out. 

Audio with Neiman:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/03/04/oj-simpson-knife-buried-evidence-testing/

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 5

I think chain of custody only applies from the time the police are notified of the evidence's existence.

But either way it doesn't matter, except for potentially finally settling the issue if there are people still out there who think he's innocent.

It wouldn't settle it for people who believe Jason, Oj's son, did it.

• Love 1

I heard on a sport show that the knife was found in 1998, not sure if that is accurate though. If that is the case, the cop held that knife for 18 or so years. If this is all true, I think that it shows how misguided and corrupt and without morals some of the cops in LA are. How could you not turn it in? Even though it may amount to nada, how could you justify keeping it? I have to give the construction worker and the more recent cop (the one who turned in the other guy) kudos for doing the right thing. It sucks that we get excited when people do "the right thing". It shouldn't even be an option. 

• Love 8

It's still just a knife, and not necessarily the knife.

True.

Just a buried knife, with the right blade size, found at the obvious murderer's house. 

I want to know WHERE that construction worker found it.  I hope he's still alive.  This is being discussed in the the "Glove thread" too, so I don't want to repeat myself.  ;) 

• Love 4

If it does turn out to be the knife (which, holy shit), can the cop be charged with obstruction of justice, or is there a statute of limitations on that? Are there any civil charges that could be filed against him? Is he still a working cop, could he maybe be stripped of his badge?

Ok but if this does turn out to be true how fucking flaming mad do you think Marcia Clark, Chris Darden, the Browns, and the Goldmans are going to be?

I don't know if the dumbass douchebag can be charged with obstruction but he was certainly tampering with potential evidence in an open homicide investigation. 

I cannot even imagine how jacked up you have to be to want to take this knife home and frame it.  Seriously?

If it was indeed found at the Rockingham property during the demolition, I'd be very surprised if it was NOT the actual knife.  Simpson had to get rid of it somewhere and very quickly after the murders.  He apparently didn't stop between Bundy and Rockingham.  It was pretty stupid to bury it on your own property (what if the authorities had searched the property with a metal detector?) but he didn't have a lot of options, given the tight timeframe.  It definitely puts a new spin on the thumps Kato heard and why Simpson was running around back there, as well as why he showered.  Not only did he have blood on his clothing but maybe also dirt.

If nothing else, I hope this cop's name is released so he's disgraced.

SHAMEFUL that the case is being referred to by Robbery/Homicide as simply the Nicole Brown case.  It should be the Brown-Goldman case.

RHNancy - - I agree.  Doing the right thing SHOULDN'T be an option.

• Love 8

http://www.tmz.com/2016/03/04/o-j-simpson-buried-knife-found-police-news-conference/ More.

That's my theory too, it has to do with the thumps.  Kato said that yard care equipment stuff (shovels?), toys, old cinder blocks, and a bunch of junk was in that narrow walkway behind the house.  Maybe OJ had time to bury it somewhere with disturbed soil, like a flower garden, or threw it in a dense bush, and then buried it later, since he fell into Kato's wall looking for the shovel, abandoned that plan and ran back around the house to be seen by the limo driver entering the front door. 

WOW.  I am really stunned by this.  I'm hoping they DO find blood or evidence on that.  After all this time though?  Just stunned here.  Good job TMZ.  Now those are words I never thought I'd type.

• Love 7

Harvey Levin may be a loathsome cockroach, but I will say this for TMZ:  he makes his staff act like actual journalists.  Also, consider the Ray Rice situation.

Interestingly, there was a profile of him in (of all places) the New Yorker a few weeks ago which mentioned that back during the trial, he was a legal correspondent for one of the local LA stations and thought he'd hit a big scoop when he noticed the timestamp on police video of Clark serving the search warrant on Rockingham that was seemingly before the warrant had been issued.  It turned out the timestamp was from twelve hours later when tape was logged as evidence.  He had to make an apology and it's probably a big reason why TMZ tries to operate as above board as a sleazy tabloid website can operate.

• Love 5

I would think any DNA or hair would have significantly degraded by being in the earth but they could certainly tell if the measurements match the wounds in Ron and Nicole.  That might be as close as they get, as well as the common sense factor of where it was found.

Sadly, I think even if this knife had been found during the initial search of Rockingham, unless Simpson took a plea deal, the jury still would have acquitted him.  They bought into the "corrupt LAPD" angle and I think they would have just added this to their list of items the LAPD planted to frame Simpson.

I hope the Goldmans and Browns are doing okay today.

• Love 7
(edited)

O.J. is trending #1 on most social media sites. I am sick at the few tweets that talk about how he is innocent. I actually saw one that said #Free the Juice.

If they have blood and DNA on the knife I hope it hurts his chance for parole.

Edited by ShadowHunter
  • Love 1

Would it, though? My legal knowledge is limited so I'm legitimately asking. I know he can't face repeated criminal charges if evidence comes back that it was indeed The Knife, and he's was already forced to be held accountable in the civil suit. If nothing can be proven in a court of law, could the evidence be held against him regarding his current incarceration?

(edited)
I cannot even imagine how jacked up you have to be to want to take this knife home and frame it.  Seriously?

And what resonates is that he called a fellow cop to ask for the serial number, apparently completely confident that the other guys would be just FINE with that.  That is the culture that this trial (and a lot of today's news stories) keep coming back to.

I'm glad he misjudged the character of the person he went to.

The irony of LAPD evidence tampering actually protecting OJ all these years.  You couldn't make that up.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 8

Would it, though? My legal knowledge is limited so I'm legitimately asking. I know he can't face repeated criminal charges if evidence comes back that it was indeed The Knife, and he's was already forced to be held accountable in the civil suit. If nothing can be proven in a court of law, could the evidence be held against him regarding his current incarceration?

Technically I don't think so.  He was acquitted of the murders.  He could confess every little detail right now and he cannot be touched legally.  Whether or not he receives parole is supposed to be based on the crime he was convicted of and his behavior in prison. 

Legally, nothing can be done to him with this find.  The only thing it can do is perhaps give the Browns and Goldmans some portion of closure and maybe convince whatever portion of the public that still believes Simpson is innocent. 

And what resonates is that he called a fellow cop to ask for the serial number, apparently completely confident that the other guys would be just FINE with that.  That is the culture that this trial (and a lot of today's news stories) keep coming back to.

I'm glad he misjudged the character of the person he went to.

The irony of LAPD evidence tampering actually protecting OJ all these years.  You couldn't make that up.

Was this guy going to frame the thing and hang it in a secret room?  Or was he going to put it over his fireplace and show it off to his guests?  I mean, really.

And then what?  Sell it on eBay? 

It is ironic, isn't it?  The defense always claimed Simpson was framed by the corrupt LAPD but thanks to at the very least a morally relaxed officer, a major piece of evidence is hidden away for years. 

• Love 7

MAYBE, there is no construction worker...maybe this officer had it all along. Oj had lots of friends on the force,perhaps this officer wants to clear his conscious. Or I've had too much to drink already!

• Love 8

He was a traffic cop though, right?  Not really a detective.  Although they did have a lot of cops guarding the place from the press, and being short staffed, as the LA force was, he could have been roped into doing that.

Anyone else think this will all get weirder and weirder?

Let's just say OJ hid it or buried it, WHY wouldn't he dig it up and get rid of it forever, dissolve it in acid, or soak it in bleach and then toss it in the ocean, or at least get it off that property forever when he sold it to people who were planning on doing major construction changes, or even might do them at some point?

• Love 1
(edited)
I dont know many blacks who thought OJ didnt at least have something to do with the murders if not committed them himself.

Well, I'm sure there was a whole range of opinion, but I have to say my experience was different. I knew African-Americans in that time who really believed he had nothing to do with it. They believed in his innocence early on and they seized on what they heard from the defense and the position was fortified. I'd rather that be the case. As hard as it was/is for me to understand the belief in the circumstances, I'd prefer that they strongly believed he was innocent and had been framed, as they claimed. Because if people were celebrating the acquittal of a man they believed had something to do with two ghastly murders, one of the deceased being the mother of the man's children who were sleeping nearby, that's monstrous. There is no amount of sociopolitical high dudgeon or racial tit-for-tat that makes that all right.  

But its really hard to get worked up over THAT, when just a year or so earlier, a white jury pretty much ignored a black man being brutally beaten and acquitted the white cops who assaulted him.

I found the Rodney King beating disgusting and the Simi Valley jury's verdict beyond perplexing, but...no. Don't you think Ron and Nicole's families wish a brutal beating were the limit of what their loved ones went through? Nicole took brutal beatings at this man's hands for most of her married life. I'm sure you've seen the photos and heard the audio recordings.   

Edited by Simon Boccanegra
  • Love 5

He was a traffic cop though, right?  Not really a detective.  Although they did have a lot of cops guarding the place from the press, and being short staffed, as the LA force was, he could have been roped into doing that.

Anyone else think this will all get weirder and weirder?

Let's just say OJ hid it or buried it, WHY wouldn't he dig it up and get rid of it forever, dissolve it in acid, or soak it in bleach and then toss it in the ocean, or at least get it off that property forever when he sold it to people who were planning on doing major construction changes, or even might do them at some point?

My best guess would be that Simpson thought the knife was hidden away for good.  Plus, he wouldn't want to be seen digging it up, I suppose.  I'm not sure how long it was between the acquittal and the civil case judgment (too lazy to look it up) but once the judgment was entered, the house had to go.  I'm sure Simpson, with his extreme narcissism, thought the new owners would NEVER tear THE O.J. Simpson house down. 

• Love 2

The guy that found the knife? Shit for brains.

The knife was found by a construction worker, who promptly turned it over to an off-duty police officer who was across the street. It seems like the right thing to do.

I doubt it’s the murder weapon. I think someone tossed it onto the property as a prank all those years ago. Apparently it was found near the property line.

• Love 3

I'm sure Simpson, with his extreme narcissism, thought the new owners would NEVER tear THE O.J. Simpson house down.

Not only does that space look completely different, the street isn't called Rockingham, anymore. The city changed the name of the street about the same time. Those homes were very easily accessible back then. Neither of them (the Rockingham, nor the Bundy house) are recognizable anymore.

(edited)

I doubt it’s the murder weapon. I think someone tossed it onto the property as a prank all those years ago. Apparently it was found near the property line.

I hoping it's a hoax or a prank. 

But even if it isn't related to the case, the twisted cop who "allegedly" kept it, then got busted for not turning it over - the "tampering with evidence" believers are going to have a FIELD DAY.

STAY CLASSY, LAPD!

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 4