Type keyword(s) to search

American Crime Story in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

One property line ran right next to Kato's room, where the glove was found.  The other line was his backyard neighbor, behind the tennis courts, and then the two streets.   One of those streets is where he parked the Bronco WHILE the limo was there, the other, the gate he probably entered (Ashford.)

Next up?  If the cop that kept it is white, we have one story, if he was black, we have another.  Best hope?  He was neither.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 2
(edited)

I hoping it's a hoax or a prank.

But even if it isn't related to the case, the twisted cop who "allegedly" kept it, then got busted for not turning it over - the "tampering with evidence" believers are going to have a FIELD DAY.

STAY CLASSY, LAPD!

Not just the tampering with evidence crowd, it's also, and actually more so, the "LAPD is so incompetent that they botched the investigation and compromised all that slam dunk evidence" crowd that is having the field day. Yes, indeed, keeping it real, LAPD. (At least he's a retired cop - I believe the LAPD today is not the LAPD of 20 years ago but it takes time to change an organizations culture) Edited by VanillaBeanne
  • Love 5

So far they're protecting him, because he's retired.  We'll see how long that lasts.  They're going to throw him to the wolves sooner or later, though I suppose that assumes that he hasn't been showing off that knife to dozens of LAPD higherups for years on poker night.

• Love 3

So far they're protecting him, because he's retired. We'll see how long that lasts. They're going to throw him to the wolves sooner or later, though I suppose that assumes that he hasn't been showing off that knife to dozens of LAPD higherups for years on poker night.

I think they'll protect him forever. Cops don't believe in snitching either. Blue wall of silence.

• Love 2

IF this is THE knife, and let's say that they can extract DNA from Ron, Denise, and OJ. What then? What could possibly come of this?

I think you mean Nicole. Denise is Nicole's sister. (Bold emphasis mine)

This is some fucked up shit.

I don't think the police can afford to protect him.  Hell, this show is on, basically mocking the justice system in LA, pointing out every mistake made, and mistakes are inevitable since human beings are involved, that mountain of evidence would have proved his guilt anyway, in any normal trial with a rational jury that didn't have an agenda.

Anyway, my bet is there are several high level conversations going on right now, and covering for this dude?  Is not an option.

• Love 1

They are probably hoping to prove that the knife isn't related, but just as proving it IS the murder weapon?  After all this time, that could be problematic either way.  They already have sample DNA.  The case was never closed. 

Ultimately it doesn't really matter whether this was the actual murder weapon or not.  Simpson can't be touched legally.  This cop kept evidence in an open homicide case and a very, VERY public case at that.  He didn't follow procedure, for whatever reason. 

This is very bad for the LAPD.  Makes me wonder how many people will come out of the woodwork claiming this has happened in other cases.

• Love 4
(edited)

It will matter.  Not legally perhaps, but it will matter.  For those connected to this case it will matter the most of course, the officers who were accused of mishandling or planting evidence, OJ's children, the Goldman's, the DA office, and for all of those who still think that murderer was innocent, it will matter.  To OJ?  It will matter.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 9

The one thing that could come from this, if it is the knife, is that it would put to bed rumours of Robert Kardashian disposing of the murder weapon. I know the Kardashians aren't popular but it would be nice for them to have that rumour proven false.

• Love 8

It will matter.  Not legally perhaps, but it will matter.  For those connected to this case it will matter the most of course, the officers who were accused of mishandling or planting evidence, OJ's children, the Goldman's, the DA office, and for all of those who still think that murderer was innocent, it will matter.  To OJ?  It will matter.

Yes, you're right.  To all those involved it will matter but I think to those who hold on to their belief in Simpson's innocence, it will barely register.  It will be a bizarre footnote, whether it's legit or not, in this entire case.

• Love 1

I understand that OJ cannot be tried for murder in this case, but can he be tried for a lesser charge? Like assult with intent? Or are all charges related to that crime covered under double jeopardy?

(edited)

I understand that OJ cannot be tried for murder in this case, but can he be tried for a lesser charge? Like assult with intent? Or are all charges related to that crime covered under double jeopardy?

According to my lawyer friend (who, granted, does not do criminal law) said he can't, because double jeopardy includes all the lesser included charges of the original crime. She thought MAYBE if they really wanted to push, they could try for some kind of charge for burying the knife, but since the chain of control is fucked, she didn't think they'd even bother. Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

Maybe he could be charged with perjury since he was sworn in the civil trial?  I don't know California's statue of limitations on perjury.

Either way, I doubt OJ will be charged.  However, whatever limited friends or family he has left may reconsider any connection with him at all.

I think they'll protect him forever. Cops don't believe in snitching either. Blue wall of silence.

That blue wall of silence is very real, but so is the age old tradition of giving up a scapegoat, which is the one thing that always supersedes any code of silence. And in this instance the scapegoat came ready made to be sacrificed. You hardly need the 2016 version of Ed Exley to put his big and devious brain to it to figure out how this one plays out.

• Love 2

I also don't think refusing to identify the cop in this instance is an example of the blue wall of silence. It makes no sense to cover for this guy at this point - he clearly did what what he did. The blue wall of silence is more about denying facts where no one else can prove them. Like if you witness a cop doing something wrong and you are the only witness, you don't snitch on him. You just say I didn't see anything. Because there is usually no way to disprove what you saw.

• Love 1
(edited)

Next up?  If the cop that kept it is white, we have one story, if he was black, we have another.  Best hope?  He was neither.

As someone who falls under "neither", I resemble that remark! ;)

According to my lawyer friend (who, granted, does not do criminal law) said he can't, because double jeopardy includes all the lesser included charges of the original crime. She thought MAYBE if they really wanted to push, they could try for some kind of charge for burying the knife, but since the chain of control is fucked, she didn't think they'd even bother.

I am not a lawyer, but I imagine lesser charges can't be brought. The whole point of double jeopardy is to prevent the court system from repeatedly going after an individual over a specific crime. And giving the crime a different name doesn't change the crime in question. If you have been acquitted of the crime, that is it. The law has had it's chance and it can do no more to the individual in regards to that crime. Besides, if such a loophole was possible, I think it would be common practice and we would know about it. This wouldn't be the first time new evidence came to light after a crime has been adjudicated, and I doubt OJ would be the first person to have been acquitted to later have been shown to be guilty.

He's probably way outside of the statute of limitations at this point.

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If by some crazy miracle the knife somehow shows that someone other than OJ did it, then that person can be tried. OJ of course cannot due to double jeopardy.

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 2

There is no statute of limitations on murder. If by some crazy miracle the knife somehow shows that someone other than OJ did it, then that person can be tried. OJ of course cannot due to double jeopardy.

Not on murder, no, but even if OJ could be tried for something like assault, 20 years is probably too long.

• The knife was recovered at O.J. Simpson's former LA estate and kept as a 'souvenir' by an off-duty traffic cop
  • Law enforcement sources say knife is inconsistent with double murder while a spokesman has warned it could be 'bogus'
  • Kato Kaelin, Simpson's house-guest turned witness, said the evidence could prove to be the 'final nail' in the disgraced athlete's coffin
  • 'It’s unreal to hear that an officer may have had it and didn't turn it in,' said the father of stabbing victim Ron Goldman
  • Marcia Clark, head prosecutor, said discovery could prove to be a 'remarkable development'  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3477519/Knife-buried-O-J-Simpson-s-estate-inconsistent-murders.html#ixzz41zCmaJFF

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, I'm sure there was a whole range of opinion, but I have to say my experience was different. I knew African-Americans in that time who really believed he had nothing to do with it. They believed in his innocence early on and they seized on what they heard from the defense and the position was fortified. I'd rather that be the case. As hard as it was/is for me to understand the belief in the circumstances, I'd prefer that they strongly believed he was innocent and had been framed, as they claimed. Because if people were celebrating the acquittal of a man they believed had something to do with two ghastly murders, one of the deceased being the mother of the man's children who were sleeping nearby, that's monstrous. There is no amount of sociopolitical high dudgeon or racial tit-for-tat that makes that all right.

I found the Rodney King beating disgusting and the Simi Valley jury's verdict beyond perplexing, but...no. Don't you think Ron and Nicole's families wish a brutal beating were the limit of what their loved ones went through? Nicole took brutal beatings at this man's hands for most of her married life. I'm sure you've seen the photos and heard the audio recordings.

But werent the Browns aware of the beatings? There are some who contend they did, but didnt intervene because OJ provided them with money, and gave Nicole's father the hookup to some Hertz dealerships. Im in no way blaming them or Nicole for what happened. But my point is, there is all this outrage over how black people reacted to OJ's acquittal (whether they believed he was innocent or just chalked it up to some kind of judicial karma). But where was the outrage when the shoe was on the other foot? This has been happening to black people for centuries! Its not as simple as saying how dare people not think rationally about this one case and about Nicole and Ron's families.

Unfortunately, (thanks to Cochran and the rest of the Dream Team) that murder trial had nothing to do with Nicole or Ron. It was about race. I think we all can agree on that? I dont think anybody was celebrating the murder of two innocent people. Thats totally different than celebrating a black man gaming the system.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 10

It’s the union. There are procedures. The retired officer will have union representation, and his pension is on the line. Everyone has to follow the rules.

(edited)

But werent the Browns aware of the beatings? There are some who contend they did, but didnt intervene because OJ provided them with money, and gave Nicole's father the hookup to some Hertz dealerships. Im in no way blaming them or Nicole for what happened. But my point is, there is all this outrage over how black people reacted to OJ's acquittal (whether they believed he was innocent or just chalked it up to some kind of judicial karma). But where was the outrage when the shoe was on the other foot? This has been happening to black people for centuries! Its not as simple as saying how dare people not think rationally about this one case and about Nicole and Ron's families.

Unfortunately, (thanks to Cochran and the rest of the Dream Team) that murder trial had nothing to do with Nicole or Ron. It was about race. I think we all can agree on that? I dont think anybody was celebrating the murder of two innocent people. Thats totally different than celebrating a black man gaming the system.

All of this. I'm sorry, but white people will never have the moral high ground on any issue related to race given the history of this country. Hell, given the current state of affairs in this country. Miss me with it, for real. It's laughable. Edited by ridethemaverick
  • Love 8

According to this Tweet from earlier tonight, by a writer for USA Today, FX is airing all 5 episodes of the miniseries to date, in a commercial-free marathon starting at 10PM Eastern tomorrow night. This is apparently a last minute schedule change (Perhaps inspired by the knife discovery of today?); neither the online TV listings I use nor the FX site's online schedule lists it.

https://twitter.com/garymlevin/status/705914618221346817

This might sound a little crazy, but please bear with me:

A few weeks ago, I read this article in the National a Enquirer-

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/photos/o-j-murder-trial-knife-killed-nicole/photo/146387/

They apparently caught Simpson trying to sell the murder weapon to a memorabilia dealer for $5 million. From the article:

"They think it's hidden someplace where it is safe and still under his control," explained the insider. "O.J. said he'd reveal the location once a firm deal — for a minimum of $5 million — was reached."

There's speculation in the piece that he might have stashed the knife in the Bahamas. Wherever it (supposedly) was hidden, it's thought to be very secure.

If there's any truth to the story, I wonder if this cop is involved? No one would think to look for it in the home of an LAPD officer.

Just a thought.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not the one quoted here, but I think the "statute of limitations" was referring to a question I had asked about the statute of limitations regarding obstruction of justice, which I assume would traditionally be the charge filed against this cop if this does prove to be the knife. Something tells me it would be tricky because even though the case is still technically open, if the knife implicates Simpson in the murders there's nothing legally that can be done anyway. I suppose it would be a matter of when the ticking clock for a statute of limitations begins, which someone more well-versed in criminal law could feel free to answer.

Edited by helenamonster

According to this article, linked from EW.com/Entertainment Weekly magazine, the 5-episode commercial-free marathon of the miniseries (the complete show, to date) FX is airing beginning at 10PM Eastern tonight (Saturday), which I mentioned in my previous post, was scheduled at the last minute because of the discovery yesterday of what might (or might not) be the knife used in the murders of Nicole & Ron (as I speculated in my previous post).

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/04/fx-people-v-oj-simpson-marathon?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

• Love 1
(edited)

Copied from TV Fanatic:

Take advantage of an opportunity FX is offering for The People v OJ Simpson: American Crime Story tonight: (Saturday, 3/5/16)

A commercial-free marathon of the first five episodes in back-to-back airings.

If you had doubts about the series, everything is easily dispelled by the incredibly talent on board. Remember, this is FX. Nothing they do is less than superior, and The People v. OJ Simpson is no exception.

It's masterful storytelling, wholly compelling and shown in such a way it's as if you've never heard it before. There are moments during this trial when you will be on the edge of your seat, knowing fully well the end of the case. That's quite a feat. Don't miss out! Details of the marathon and episodes follow.
PPL v OJ

The special programming block featuring the first half of the 10-part limited series will begin at 10 PM on FX and run without any commercial interruptions through the conclusion of Episode 5 at 2:10 AM.

Please note that for West Coast DirecTV and Dish Network customers, the marathon will run from 7 PM to 11:10 PM.

Chapter 1 – “From the Ashes of Tragedy” – The murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman lead the LAPD to the home of O.J. Simpson.

Chapter 2 – “The Run of His Life” – With O.J. Simpson missing in the white Bronco, Robert Shapiro and Robert Kardashian deal with the fallout, as the D.A.’s office and LAPD scramble to save face and find him.

Chapter 3 – “The Dream Team” – Marcia Clark announces that O.J. Simpson has been charged. Robert Shapiro seeks advice from F. Lee Bailey and comes up with a provocative strategy. As Shapiro starts putting together “The Dream Team”, he must convince O.J. to hire Johnnie Cochran.

Chapter 4 – “100% Not Guilty” – Johnnie Cochran brings an energy that transforms the case. As jury selection gets underway, the prosecution and defense seek out the assistance of jury research experts, who come back with some surprising results. Meanwhile, Faye Resnick publishes a tell-all book, complicating the court proceedings.

Chapter 5– “The Race Card” – As the trial begins, Christopher Darden and Johnnie Cochran face off in court. Chris has doubts about Mark Fuhrman as a witness. The jury visits the crime scene.

In addition, The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story returns this Tuesday, March 8, at 10 PM e/p with the all-new episode: Chapter 6 – “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia” – As Marcia Clark juggles her home and work obligations, she starts to feel the public scrutiny of her appearance.

The series stars John Travolta, Cuba Gooding Jr., Sarah Paulson, Courtney B. Vance, David Schwimmer, Sterling K. Brown, Nathan Lane, Connie Britton, Selma Blair, Malcom-Jamal Warner, Kenneth Choi and Bruce Greenwood.

Edited by preeya

Copied from TV Fanatic:

Take advantage of an opportunity FX is offering for The People v OJ Simpson: American Crime Story tonight: (Saturday, 2/5/16)

The part I bolded? Made me laugh. Today is 3/5/16.

I hope they corrected the date on their site!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'll be OK with this knife story leading to nothing, as long as it isn't revealed as some kind of publicity stunt for this series.

I don't think it is, but that would really be sickening. 

Trent Copeland, the attorney of the retired officer who was given the knife by a construction worker who found it, described the item as a 5-inch buck knife covered with dirt and mud. The glove didn't fit, the knife never materialized, and the Simpson murder case ended with an acquittal for the former National Football League star.

The homicide detective immediately told superior officers, who demanded that it be turned over. The sources also say the knife doesn't appear to have been buried for a length of time that would suggest someone was trying to hide it at the time of the killings.

More:  http://equilibrioinformativo.com/2016/03/former-oj-simpson-defense-attorney-found-knife-is-highly/

It's probably completely unrelated, but still, what the hell was wrong with that cop?  I mean, really...

Also, has anyone been able to determine if they are talking about a 5" blade on a buck knife, because that's significant, or if they are talking about a 5" folding knife? 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 3

The story in the LA Times indicates the officer thought the case was closed. And that the knife found is a fixed blade.
I’m wondering why FX airs this show in the wee hours. I’ve always had to watch a day later, on demand.

• Love 1
(edited)

824679.jpg

Thanks.  These are a 5" fixed blade buck knifes.  There are other styles out there.  How is this a utility or gardening knife?  You can get these things anywhere by the way, Walmart, etc.

9_538227.jpg

There are other styles of course, with thicker or thinner blades, smooth or serrated on one side.

Edited by Umbelina

I saw Harvey from TMZ on Greta Van Sustern Thursday night. He had more info.

The construction worker gave the knife to the cop who was working security right across from the OJ home being demolished. The guy was security for a movie scene being shot. He took it home as a memento and tossed it in a tool box. He never really did anything with it and over time it just stayed there. Now retired, the TV show on FX called his attention to it again and that is when about a month ago he decided to frame it. That's when he asked a friend to find the Case Number for him. 

• Love 2

Since this appears to be a fairly last minute decision it seems it's probably a purely financial decision because of the costs of going ad free, they aren't going to lose that much money on overnight ads.

• Love 1
(edited)

The story in the LA Times indicates the officer thought the case was closed. And that the knife found is a fixed blade.

I’m wondering why FX airs this show in the wee hours. I’ve always had to watch a day later, on demand.

On Tuesday nights, each week's new episode first airs at 10PM Eastern; it then runs repeatedly until 1AM Eastern (early Wednesday morning). At 1AM Eastern, FX airs the *previous* week's episode. Then, at 2AM Eastern (early Wednesday morning) FX airs the *new* episode again.

NOTE: The FX schedule indicates that this week's ep, airing on March 8th, is supposed to run *90 minutes*, for anyone who's recording the series.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Well, the marathon begins at 10 p.m.

Yes, but 10PM Eastern is the series' normal timeslot, so beginning the marathon then was rather appropriate (plus, it would take the eps into "the wee hours" which--as someone else said--would mitigate the lost ad revenues from the commercial free airing somewhat, although the marathon ended around 2:10AM Eastern which is still relatively early to at least some people). And, you also state in your other post that you've always had to watch the eps on demand the next day, which implies you were discussing the weekly series, not the marathon from last night.

IIRC, the "motherfucker" would have been in the 10 pm slot if they started at 8 EST because that was ep 3, wasn't it? But there was a "shit" in ep 1 so I think their hands were tied about when to start.

Also that crime scene photo of Nicole shown in ep 1 was pretty gruesome. I thought she was wearing a ribbon around her neck until I realized what that was meant to convey.