Type keyword(s) to search

Robyn Brown: She wanted the family, but got stuck with the man.

• Start Topic

On 12/3/2017 at 3:44 PM, momofsquid said:

Not to be unkind, but that strikes me as pretty dumb. Additional suicide prevention efforts are always welcome, of course. I just think that using a semi-colon in this way is dumb.

18 hours ago, ginger90 said:

"Limited edition" leftovers are your gift from Robyn if you spend $100, but not on "new releases". Ummm ok, lol.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MySisWifesClos/status/942614432399605767?p=v

You would think they'd rather have people spending on the "new releases" and use that as a way to get some of their old shit out the door. It would also help make sure "new releases" don't become "old leftovers". It's a good thing nobody ever said the Browns are smart.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MrSmith said:

...that strikes me as pretty dumb. Additional suicide prevention efforts are always welcome, of course. I just think that using a semi-colon in this way is dumb.

Did you read the reason behind the selection of a semicolon? 

"A semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life."

I find it to be a unique, clever, and powerful symbol.  Frankly when people find themselves in mental or emotional turmoil, the call of "quiet" can be quite alluring; finding the strength to reject that voice and carry on with life should be celebrated.

I look at it more as suicide awareness vs prevention.  It's a manifestation of personal triumph and perseverance.

Edited by sharkerbaby
with appologies to @MrSmith, removed phrase that was viewed as "an attack"
  • Love 13

Yes, I read the article, @sharkerbaby. I formed my opinion after reading it and looking through the pictures. I'm entitled to my opinion that the use of the semi-colon in this way is dumb and I don't see any reason why I should be attacked by you or anyone else for having a dissenting opinion. You like it? Great. Go get one, if you want. I think it's stupid and plan to abstain from joining the herd.

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

Yes, I read the article, @sharkerbaby. I formed my opinion after reading it and looking through the pictures. I'm entitled to my opinion that the use of the semi-colon in this way is dumb and I don't see any reason why I should be attacked by you or anyone else for having a dissenting opinion. You like it? Great. Go get one, if you want. I think it's stupid and plan to abstain from joining the herd.

I'm sorry you took offense I in no way meant anything as an "attack", highlighting an insensitivity - perhaps, an attack - no.  As an olive branch, I have removed the offending phrase with apologies.

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 4

Certainly there is a need for greater emphasis on suicide and its prevention efforts. I am just concerned that the semi colon project really doesn't call attention to it in a helpful way.  A symbol that requires an explanation isn't too helpful it seems to me.  In this day and age, the average attention span doesn't make time for discourse on something they can easily just ignore.  Sadly they will glance at it and forget it rather than ask about it. 

Well intended effort, I know.  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Certainly there is a need for greater emphasis on suicide and its prevention efforts. I am just concerned that the semi colon project really doesn't call attention to it in a helpful way.  A symbol that requires an explanation isn't too helpful it seems to me.  In this day and age, the average attention span doesn't make time for discourse on something they can easily just ignore.  Sadly they will glance at it and forget it rather than ask about it. 

It can be a conversation starter. I'm thinking of the tattoo, particularly. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, PuhLeeze said:

It can be a conversation starter. I'm thinking of the tattoo, particularly. 

I have mixed feelings on this and hope I don't sound insensitive. In 10-15 years--and the trend has faded away--it's just going to be a tattoo of a semicolon. I have suffered from mental health issues so I'm not blind to this but while this might be appealing for some, they should remind themselves that tattoos are permanent (and cost a lot to remove). And in several years is someone going to want to explain why they have a tattoo of a semicolon? I might think it's a reminder of someone's thesis project and what they kept getting docked for. 

Perhaps opt for the bracelet?

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Perhaps opt for the bracelet?

I really think it's a good idea.

I am a breast cancer survivor but I don't wear all of that pink stuff because I don't want my illness to be my identity.  It was a bump in my road (and I was very lucky to have found it early) but I don't want it to define me.  Tattoos are not easily removed.  Later in life that might not be something you want to be noticed if you are lucky enough to have put it all behind you.

• Love 12
13 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I really think it's a good idea.

I am a breast cancer survivor but I don't wear all of that pink stuff because I don't want my illness to be my identity.  It was a bump in my road (and I was very lucky to have found it early) but I don't want it to define me.  Tattoos are not easily removed.  Later in life that might not be something you want to be noticed if you are lucky enough to have put it all behind you.

I too eschew the pink reminders and agree that something permanent might not be the best of ideas re: the tattoo.  My brother killed himself and I am reminded of that every day, no tattoo necessary, although don't know if they are marketed for those of us left behind.  

• Love 7

My wife (who has not yet had cancer, knock on wood) has a pink shirt with two owls on the front. Below the owls it says, "Save the hooters". She bought because we thought it was hilarious and the proceeds went to breast cancer research. I also bought her a "breast cancer pink" Kitchenaid stand mixer. In my defense, at the time I bought it I had no idea what the pink color meant; I picked the pink one because I thought it was the color she would like best (I was right). Since then, we've gotten her a pink blender, pink cutlery set, pink spatulas, and pink curtains for the kitchen. The color works great in her kitchen and most of the stuff had been tagged as "certain % of profits go to cancer research". No, I don't think we did anything particularly noteworthy or magnanimous by buying things marked as "% profits go to cancer research". We have donated actual money to help fund it, though, which is better than buying stuff from companies that purport to help support it.

• Love 1

Here is just one of many articles on the pink thing.  I am a breast cancer survivor and do not wear or have anything pink related to that cause.  I don't want a quilt with the logo, and I don't want a T-shirt.  Just speaking for myself.  Don't want a reminder.  I can and do make monetary donations to reputable organizations.  

https://globalnews.ca/news/3790022/pinkwashing-breast-cancer-are-the-pink-items-youre-buying-actually-benefiting-charity/

• Love 10

While I believe the companies that say they will give some percent of profits to charity actually do give that percent, I don't believe that they don't "manage" how much profit they report as being subject to charitable giving. Millenials all seem to want the businesses they "support" (read as: "purchase from" or "patronize") to be involved in charitable work, which rather baffles me. I expect companies to engage in creative accounting of the sort Hollywood gets up to in order to show how little profit they're making from movies. I also don't consider it to be charitable giving when you purchase something you were going to purchase anyway that just so happens to have been tagged by the company as "% profits to charity". If you're going to be involved with charity, then that involves some sacrifice on your part. (NOTE: Collective "you're" and "your", rather than speaking to a specific someone.) And buying something you were going to buy anyway definitely does not qualify.

I could rant a little more, but I think you guys get the idea of what my position is on this. My wife and I never considered any of our purchases to be actual charitable giving; rather, the "% profits to charity" was just an incidental and a sort of "bonus", given what I've said above.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

they haven't learned shit about how to film a video. 

I have a severe migraine today and I had to stop watching the earring video after a few seconds. The jerky focusing and quick up and down movements of the camera made me sick. And isn't ALL jewelry 3-D??? Dumbasses.....

• Love 3
On 12/19/2017 at 1:09 PM, Kohola3 said:

Agree. It just looks like a typo. A semicolon alone would be better. #crappydesign

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Well, all I can say to this is that after what, 8 years of exposure to TV production, they haven't learned shit about how to film a video. 

But hey, her UM new UM joolry is UM 3-D! ???

https://mysisterwifescloset.com/blogs/news/robyn-welcomes-you-to-the-new-sara-pieces

Um. Shouldn't she, um, look at her customers, um...like, um by looking in the camera directly, um.

Not sure if it's my computer or internet today but that video was just enough blurry that you couldn't really see anything clearly. And um...shouldn't she be introducing us to her "Sara" jewelry, not welcoming?  That's just really weird.  Maybe she should get her school aged children to write these intros because her lack of "using her words" really stands out. 

• Love 1

I could only watch the video about the earrings. That was just terrible. The camera-work was terrible. She had no idea what she wanted to say about them before turning the camera on. They obviously didn't watch the video before posting it, or they'd have seen just how ineffective it is. And those earrings are just ugly and they look cheap.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

I could only watch the video about the earrings. That was just terrible. The camera-work was terrible. She had no idea what she wanted to say about them before turning the camera on. They obviously didn't watch the video before posting it, or they'd have seen just how ineffective it is. And those earrings are just ugly and they look cheap.

I don't know if they're ugly and/or look cheap.  The camera work was so bad that there was no focus on the actual jewelry.  They needed to have that camera mounted on a stand.  And cue cards wouldn't have hurt.  Sheesh.  They don't spend the little bit of money it would take to make the video watchable?  

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I don't know if they're ugly and/or look cheap.  The camera work was so bad that there was no focus on the actual jewelry.  They needed to have that camera mounted on a stand.  And cue cards wouldn't have hurt.  Sheesh.  They don't spend the little bit of money it would take to make the video watchable?  

True. They only show the earrings up close at the very end, which is shot separately from the rest of the video.

On 9/8/2014 at 7:31 PM, toodles said:

Spend $75 and you get free shipping for any product in the USA. I'm going to order a Boeing jet. This deal is too good to pass up.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!   I wanted to give you a dozen likes for this comment, but it doesn't work that way - so I had to reply!  :D

On 12/21/2017 at 4:04 PM, lookeyloo said:

Here is just one of many articles on the pink thing.  I am a breast cancer survivor and do not wear or have anything pink related to that cause.  I don't want a quilt with the logo, and I don't want a T-shirt.  Just speaking for myself.  Don't want a reminder.  I can and do make monetary donations to reputable organizations.  

https://globalnews.ca/news/3790022/pinkwashing-breast-cancer-are-the-pink-items-youre-buying-actually-benefiting-charity/

I'm with all of you who said you don't need pink reminders.  Count me in!  I had a purple chest after my lumpectomy - that was as close to pink as I wanted to wear.   But maybe relative or friends like to wear pink because they feel more supportive?  Kind of like how they shave their heads in solidarity (although no one shaved their head for ME, thank goodness!)

• Love 6
On 1/12/2018 at 9:04 AM, Desert Rat said:

What's with the suicide awareness?  Why is Robin focused on that issue?

I can't stand her ... but she lost someone that way not long ago. A cousin or in-law or longtime friend. A guy no one realized was going through a dark time. Survivor guilt. IIRC she disclosed it on Twatter or the joory blog/site. 

Edited by suomi
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Robyn's latest tweet.

Two thoughts:  1)  I'd love to see the contents of those "work emails."  2)  I wonder if Janelle also gets a treadmill?  Seems like it could be helpful with her Strive program.

How does one workout on a treadmill and type email responses???  I mean when I think treadmill, I think walking fast or jogging or running, I can't imagine typing too.  Maybe I'm just super uncoordinated. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

How does one workout on a treadmill and type email responses???  I mean when I think treadmill, I think walking fast or jogging or running, I can't imagine typing too.  Maybe I'm just super uncoordinated. 

There are treadmill desks. A neighbor has one with a big Apple monitor on the desk. I don't think I'd be able to read the screen. I don't walk smoothly enough, I guess. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Nope, nope, nope.  Not seeing Robun doing this.  Of course, the millisecond it takes to answer one email, well....

Haha, blue Adidas shirt guy is awesome. Cool video.

I get motion sickness and would never be able to do this. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 2

Mykelti:  "It's MY wedding and it's what I want!"

Kody:  "I am NOT putting Ariella and the little ones outside in the cold!"

Whoever said they are liking Kody more these days - I agree.  Good for him, thinking of his baby girl and not putting her in harm's way because of her selfish older sister's whims!  I GET that it's her wedding - but sometimes you ALSO have to think of other's welfare.

• Love 12
On 2/10/2018 at 8:13 AM, Kohola3 said:

Nope, nope, nope.  Not seeing Robun doing this.  Of course, the millisecond it takes to answer one email, well....

LOL. BWAHAHAHAHA! There's no way that's what she's doing. Do you really think they can afford $1500 for this: https://www.fully.com/standing-desks/treadmill-desks.html? I'm sure that all Sobbyn is doing is using a treadmill and replying to email using her phone.

Oh, and that's $1500 for just the smallest, most basic configuration. If you start customizing that desk with the contour top, change the material, or add any goodies, the price ramps up quickly.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

I'm sure that all Sobbyn is doing is using a treadmill and replying to email using her phone.

Maybe she's using her iPad.  Most treadmills have a little ledge so people can read while they walk.  And the iPad will let you use your voice to "write" things.  So her e-mails say:  "Hi.  Puff puff puff Thanks for asking about why you puff puff puff haven't received your order yet.  We're puff puff puff workin' on it and will get it to you puff puff puff as quick as we can.  Sol stop smackin' Ari."

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Maybe she's using her iPad.  Most treadmills have a little ledge so people can read while they walk.  And the iPad will let you use your voice to "write" things.  So her e-mails say:  "Hi.  Puff puff puff Thanks for asking about why you puff puff puff haven't received your order yet.  We're puff puff puff workin' on it and will get it to you puff puff puff as quick as we can.  Sol stop smackin' Ari."

OMG. I almost started laughing out loud at work when I read this!

• Love 4