Type keyword(s) to search

Christine Brown Woolley: Nacho Sister Wife Anymore

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Teri313 said:

She has already legally changed her name to Woolley, and only uses Brown for the show. Anyone who knows/follows her knows that she is now married to David, so I don't think it would confuse anyone, especially since she will be getting married on the show. 

I know she is using Woolley for her personal life and Brown for her professional life.

Generally speaking, professional name changes can be detrimental for women in media (and other professions). Susan Sarandon; Demi Moore; Ivana Trump; Erica Jong; Joy Behar; Suzanne Somers; Raquel Welch; Tina Turner; Pat Benatar; Faith Hill; etc. kept using their ex-husbands' surnames as their professional names, for a reason. It's the same reason lots of actresses do not change their professional names upon marriage.

Every single one of the above women are/were more well known than Christine. Every single one of them were known to be divorced from the husbands whose names they took. They were all capable of getting enough media coverage around their name changes, but they kept those names for a reason, and the reason was that it's hard to build up name recognition well into your career.

As far as the kids go, they are all adults except for Truly (who will be soon enough), and most of them are married. I doubt it really matters to them.

I don't know that it would matter to Christine's kids. I said I would be reticent to change my name, because of my kids. Not because they would object, but because it's part of our family identification (for me).

And I don't know why she would want to use Allred. That just drags her back to the AUB and polygamy. She has moved on. JMO

I didn't say Christine would want to use Allred. I think the Allred Group is a pernicious cult, so I personally would have loved it, had she reverted to Allred, so that there was one more Allred woman of note known to have fled the cult.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, General Days said:

I know she is using Woolley for her personal life and Brown for her professional life.

Generally speaking, professional name changes can be detrimental for women in media (and other professions). Susan Sarandon; Demi Moore; Ivana Trump; Erica Jong; Joy Behar; Suzanne Somers; Raquel Welch; Tina Turner; Pat Benatar; Faith Hill; etc. kept using their ex-husbands' surnames as their professional names, for a reason. It's the same reason lots of actresses do not change their professional names upon marriage.

Every single one of the above women are/were more well known than Christine. Every single one of them were known to be divorced from the husbands whose names they took. They were all capable of getting enough media coverage around their name changes, but they kept those names for a reason, and the reason was that it's hard to build up name recognition well into your career.

I don't know that it would matter to Christine's kids. I said I would be reticent to change my name, because of my kids. Not because they would object, but because it's part of our family identification (for me).

I didn't say Christine would want to use Allred. I think the Allred Group is a pernicious cult, so I personally would have loved it, had she reverted to Allred, so that there was one more Allred woman of note known to have fled the cult.

Well...you brought those points up in a discussion about Christine. I just responded in kind. Don't mind me.

• Like 4
On 12/7/2023 at 9:52 AM, Teri313 said:

I wish she would change her name to Woolley professionally. I'm sure Kody thinks she needs his name to succeed. I don't think she does at all, especially since David will now be featured on the show. Dump Kody once and for all, all of him, clean slate. Fingers crossed she will after the wedding special.

I've always been one of those people who doesn't understand why there has to be a name change at all? If Brown is a name that Christine is comfortable with, along with her family (who were all Browns), then she could just add woolley as the last name. She can keep Brown as one of her middle names. But I'll never understand denying a woman's history by changing her name so late in life.

I remember my first husband demanding that I quit using my married name 10 years after our divorce. I reminded him the divorce cost me a lot of $$ So I essentially bought his name permanently.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 13
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Chalby said:

I can't help but think the other two would not have left Kody if Christine didn't go first. I really believe that Christine helped the other two wives realize that they don't have to be unhappy, forever.

I think so, too.  Christine seemed to me the most devoted wife, and the least appreciated (including her kids.)  So for her to leave first, didn't surprise me at all.  I believe Kootie only married Christine to get his magical three wives, so he would get his own planet in his next life, and to impress the church he supposedly believed in.  Probably to look more manly to Winn, as well.

• Like 17
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Chalby said:

I can't help but think the other two would not have left Kody if Christine didn't go first. I really believe that Christine helped the other two wives realize that they don't have to be unhappy, forever.

Heh.  Christine would still be with Kootie if he'd paid any attention to her at all.  Same for Janelle, if he had kept his ego in check and he gave a crap about her kids.

• Like 11
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Heh.  Christine would still be with Kootie if he'd paid any attention to her at all.  Same for Janelle, if he had kept his ego in check and he gave a crap about her kids.

ITA.  Christine pretty much said that she'd stay if he kept with with his "marital duties".  I don't see her as the liberated woman that others do. 

Same with Janelle.  She spelled out what he needed to do which he ignored.  Until then she had no intention of leaving.  And then she said that if he agreed to act his part, she'd go back.

This is all about his horrible behavior, not their courage and fortitude.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Orcinus orca said:

ITA.  Christine pretty much said that she'd stay if he kept with with his "marital duties".  I don't see her as the liberated woman that others do. 

Same with Janelle.  She spelled out what he needed to do which he ignored.  Until then she had no intention of leaving.  And then she said that if he agreed to act his part, she'd go back.

This is all about his horrible behavior, not their courage and fortitude.

We saw where their priorities lay when Janelle bypassed Gabe's accomplishments in LV highschool after vowing that she would not and Christine wasn't motivated to leave after Kody's atrocious treatment of Ysabel re surgery.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

It would have been heartwarming if she had managed to express her feelings about that being the final straw when she made her patio announcement.

Instead of Kody ranting about a knife in his kidney, Christine could have justifiably brought up the knife in Ysabel's back.

1,000%.  

But at some point I think mental exhaustion took over and Christine was well on her way to being completely checked out.  What Kody did regarding Ysabel was so egregious, it wasn't worth trying to discuss it with that raving caveman lunatic.  Because had Christine brought it up, Kody would've certainly had his idiotic reasons at the ready (typed up and rehearsed with Robyn beforehand), and you cannot have a rational discussion with a man who'd just asked his 17-year old daughter why she couldn't just get on a plane by herself and have her surgery all alone so that The Tenders™ wouldn't risk getting Covid.

I also think it's very telling that the person who knew he'd done wrong was the one ranting and raving.  It's hard to get a word in when Mr. Budget Shakespeare was performing his knife in the kidney soliloquy.  

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 12
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6

Christine wanted to be treated like a princess and along with that she wanted to receive  romantic love from a man. Ergo her Vegas castle had its turret and she wore her princess dress to the commitment ceremony. Was she proud of her plyg royalty status?  Perhaps, but it certainly didn't pay any dividends with Kootie.

I think what Christine really meant to say in the show's old introduction was "I would happily take on a family but what I really want is a man."  Unfortunately for her, Kootie wasn't gonna be that man.

• Like 7
43 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

What were his accomplishments? What did Janelle do?

Gabe ranked in the top 10 people academically for his entire school, not just his grade level. He was also in line to become captain of the wrestling team his next school year.  Probably putting him in line for an academic as well as athletic scholarships for college or university.

Janelle initially dug in her heels and firmly said she would not ask Gabe to give this up.  Kody must have showed up at her house in a ponytail and tight shirt and pants and Janelle's resolve fell by the wayside.

• Like 2
  • Sad 18
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
59 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Gabe ranked in the top 10 people academically for his entire school, not just his grade level. He was also in line to become captain of the wrestling team his next school year.  Probably putting him in line for an academic as well as athletic scholarships for college or university.

Janelle initially dug in her heels and firmly said she would not ask Gabe to give this up.  Kody must have showed up at her house in a ponytail and tight shirt and pants and Janelle's resolve fell by the wayside.

And it really devastated him. He wanted to stay behind, but they wouldn't let him. They forced him to make the move to Flagstaff. And Kody was a heartless dick about the whole thing. It was hard to watch.

• Like 8
  • Sad 17
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, Teri313 said:

And it really devastated him. He wanted to stay behind, but they wouldn't let him. They forced him to make the move to Flagstaff. And Kody was a heartless dick about the whole thing. It was hard to watch.

It really was... "thanks Robyn!"  To use her own words against her...

• Like 16
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Instead of being a pissy beyotch to his kids, Kody should marvel at who they've all become despite his best efforts to destroy them.  

And may they all thrive in his absence !

• Like 10
  • Love 5

Correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but didn't his best friend's parents say he could live with them to finish out his last two years? I'm not sure if I'm confusing that with another show.

I just remember Kody saying something like, "this is when I need him to act like a man and he's acting like a boy." Well, letting him work out staying behind to finish school in LV seemed like something a man would do, but Kody dragged him to AZ like he was a boy. And for Kody to say that about him on the show, once again embarrassing and disparaging one of his kids in front of the world, I just want to throttle the guy.

Edited by Teri313
  • Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 12/14/2023 at 6:54 AM, Gramto6 said:

The one thing I can say about Christine is after the surgery, she started getting her financial ducks in a row so she could leave somewhat financially secure. The surgery was her final straw I think, but she wanted to be sure she and Truely could leave financially "safe" first.

Exactly! I believe Christine was merely "playing nice" during the years in in Flagstaff. She ensured she was financially able to move on. Plus everyone knew she didn't want to move to Flagstaff. Covid helped move everything along.

• Like 10
On 12/15/2023 at 10:07 AM, laurakaye said:

And wasn't Maddie living in LV at the time, too, and he could've just stayed with his sister?

Gabe flatout asked Madison if he could stay with her and Caleb, and she said no. I don't blame her. She had a baby. She wasn't eager to take on her teenage brother, but I always felt bad for him later, when she and Caleb took in Ysabel, and then later, Savanah. 

16 hours ago, Teri313 said:

Correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but didn't his best friend's parents say he could live with them to finish out his last two years? I'm not sure if I'm confusing that with another show.

I just remember Kody saying something like, "this is when I need him to act like a man and he's acting like a boy." Well, letting him work out staying behind to finish school in LV seemed like something a man would do, but Kody dragged him to AZ like he was a boy. And for Kody to say that about him on the show, once again embarrassing and disparaging one of his kids in front of the world, I just want to throttle the guy.

Gabe might have had the possibility of staying with a friend. I can't recall.

It seems to me that when the family fled Lehi, Leon floated the idea of living with someone from their church, and Kody said no. Leon was around the same age when they left Lehi as Gabe was when they left Vegas.

• Like 9

I don't remember much about the situation with Gabe beyond the fact that Janelle wouldn't even consider some sort of alternative so he could finish out high school once she caved.  I do remember Maddie saying that she and Caleb were not following Kody to Flagstaff because she was fed up with moving on his whims.  She may have taken Ysabel and later Savanah in because they were settled in NC and had more money and more space to accommodate someone staying with them or it may be that Ysabel and Savanah have performed nanny duties in exchange for staying there.  

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

IShe may have taken Ysabel and later Savanah in because they were settled in NC and had more money and more space to accommodate someone staying with them or it may be that Ysabel and Savanah have performed nanny duties in exchange for staying there.  

Oh, I think so. Also, both Ysabel and Savanah were out of high school. I still felt bad for Gabe though, whenever I thought about it, even though I don't blame Maddie for the choice she made (and I don't think Kody would've let him stay in Vegas, anyhow).

• Like 7
On 12/14/2023 at 10:54 AM, Gramto6 said:

The surgery was her final straw I think, but she wanted to be sure she and Truely could leave financially "safe" first.

I'm in the camp that doesn't believe the surgery was her final straw. I think her final straw was that Kody stopped having sex with her. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
Just now, Canadian Girl said:

I'm in the camp that doesn't believe the surgery was her final straw. I think her final straw was that Kody stopped having sex with her. 

Probably both hand in had helped her make the final decision to bail.

• Like 5
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

Probably both hand in had helped her make the final decision to bail.

Maybe. She did say on the show it was when Kody didn't care if they ever got a bedroom door put on their bedroom at her house that she knew she was done. 

• Like 10
  • Mind Blown 1

December 14 (edited)

On 12/14/2023 at 10:11 AM, Sandy W said:

It would have been heartwarming if she had managed to express her feelings about that being the final straw when she made her patio announcement.

Instead of Kody ranting about a knife in his kidney, Christine could have justifiably brought up the knife in Ysabel's back.

1,000%.  

But at some point I think mental exhaustion took over and Christine was well on her way to being completely checked out.  What Kody did regarding Ysabel was so egregious, it wasn't worth trying to discuss it with that raving caveman lunatic.  Because had Christine brought it up, Kody would've certainly had his idiotic reasons at the ready (typed up and rehearsed with Robyn beforehand), and you cannot have a rational discussion with a man who'd just asked his 17-year old daughter why she couldn't just get on a plane by herself and have her surgery all alone so that The Tenders™ wouldn't risk getting Covid.

Totally agree with both - when you are dealing with a narc, they can twist, turn and manipulate everything and say it is your fault - remember, Kody kept referring to Ysabel's surgery as a "vacation". 

My ex one day drank 12 beers - and was hiding them - when I confronted him he literally told me in front of the kids  "2 is really one".  When my kids  found his texts with his the woman he was having an affair with he told them oh I am helping her with a spreadsheet. And was screaming at them about she was just a friend..those texts said otherwise! (I was in the process of leaving him at that point, but the texts were from when my oldest was in the hospital with a life threatening infection - I really cringe at how stupid I was!! But we are all thriving and happy now) 

My point is - you can have the evidence and they will deny it and twist it into a narrative that fits their point of view. I am guessing Christine did not want Kody to do that as enough damage has been done to Ysabel.

ETA: I believe that Christine was totally working with a therapist in her calm non-reactions to Kody, that is the best way to deal with a narc. And it actually infuriates them more because they cannot retaliate with their twisted logic.

Edited by zamp33
Forgot to add a thought.
  • Like 14
On 12/15/2023 at 5:20 PM, Teri313 said:

Yes, Gabe had a friend he could have stayed with. Janelle would not allow it, as she demanded "the privilege of raising " Gabe in her own home. In retrospect, Gabe could have pretended to move, stayed a few nights in AZ, and then hightailed it back to LV. Kody would literally never have noticed, and Janelle would have gotten over it.

• Like 15
(edited)

Importing from the Mykelti thread...

The discussion turned to the ABC News docu-series (currently on Hulu), Daughters of the Cult.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:08 PM, Natalie68 said:

Me too!!!!  Wasn't that fucking wild??  Anna, daughter of Ervil, looked like Christine to me but I don't think they are related. 

On 1/8/2024 at 2:17 PM, laurakaye said:

Right, and I sat there thinking, oh - I see where Christine's kids get their height, because Ervil was so tall, but then I remembered - wrong plyg family, lol. Christine's dad is Rex, who was one of the sons of Rulon Allred, who was killed by Ervil LeBaron's cult.

@Roslyn is right...

On 1/8/2024 at 2:47 PM, Roslyn said:

If memory serves (correct me if I am wrong) but Christine is related to both? I think her mother, Annie, is related to Ervil.

On 1/8/2024 at 3:07 PM, Natalie68 said:

That is what I was wondering!  She does look related to Anna from Ervil.  What struck me about Anna was when she talked about Ervil asking her to make him a cup of coffee and that was the 1st time she had met her father.

[...]

The gene pool from this entire group is more of a gene puddle.

It is. 

I knew Annie Allred (aka Ruthann Stephens, i.e. Christine Brown's mother) was a LeBaron.

According to Anna LeBaron's (one of the women in the docu-series) description of their family connection, her father, Ervil LeBaron, would be Christine's great-uncle on her mother's side (i.e. Christine's mother Annie's dad (Floren) and Ervil were brothers). This is in line with what I'd previously read about Christine's LeBaron connection.

https://www.facebook.com/annaklebaron/posts/these-two-cousins-were-photographed-on-their-respective-wedding-days-that-is-me-/2272393056326867/

Facebook post didn't embed. I've broken it into two screenshots, because the post was long and I didn't want to decrease the size. 

cb1.thumb.jpg.37394126cb1b4a1282ed5cc71db6ea64.jpg

cb2.thumb.jpg.444250669dd96cada33e60a995025723.jpg

For people who use screen readers, the text of Anna LeBaron's Facebook post reads:

Anna LeBaron

October 23, 2018 

These two cousins were photographed on their respective wedding days.

That is me on the right in 1989.

The woman on the left is Christine Brown on the day she married Kody Brown in 1994.

Christine is famous for her appearance on Sister Wives, the hit reality TV show on TLC.

My father and Christine’s grandfather are brothers, making us first cousins, one generation removed.

I have never met Christine because we were raised in separate polygamist communities. I Follow her on Twitter; that is the extent of our relationship.

It’s funny to me that even though we’ve never met, we look alike, sound and talk alike, and have many of the same mannerisms. The DNA of our family of origin evidences itself in the fact that we are each other’s doppelgänger.

www.AnnaLeBaron.com

My book, The Polygamist’s Daughter: A Memoir,

is available everywhere books are sold.

Amazon, B&N, Audible, etc.

(I had to audition to read my own audio book!)

If you would like to give a signed, personalized and wrapped copy of my book as a gift, please send me a Private Message.

Edited by General Days
Added screenshots and text; corrected word omission
  • Like 9
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Useful 2
1 minute ago, General Days said:

Importing from the Mykelti thread...

The discussion turned to the ABC News docu-series (currently on Hulu), Daughters of the Cult.

@Roslyn is right...

It is. 

I knew Annie Allred (aka Ruthann Stephens, i.e. Christine Brown's mother) was a LeBaron.

According to Anna LeBaron's (one of the women in the docu-series) description of their family connection, her father, Ervil LeBaron, would Christine's great-uncle on her mother's side (i.e. Christine's mother Annie's dad and Ervil were brothers). This is in line with what I'd previously read about Christine's LeBaron connection.

https://www.facebook.com/annaklebaron/posts/these-two-cousins-were-photographed-on-their-respective-wedding-days-that-is-me-/2272393056326867/

If that link doesn't embed, I'll edit this post to include a screenshot.

Thank  you!  Dopplegangers.  

• Like 8
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Thank  you!  Dopplegangers.  

Right?

I haven't watched the whole docu-series yet (I keep putting it on after my husband falls asleep, because he's not into it, then I fall asleep), but it really makes it hit home how indoctrinated someone like Christine would have been.

She's from two pretty big name plyg families. That she (and Annie, before her) managed to extract themselves not just from their marriages, but from their families' religious sects is impressive.

I always feel so sad when I see Annie (i.e. Christine's mother). Even when she's at her best on the show, I see a person who has been so injured by life.

Edited by General Days
edited to clarify
  • Like 18
1 minute ago, General Days said:

Right?

I haven't watched the whole docu-series yet (I keep putting it on after my husband falls asleep, because he's not into it, then I fall asleep), but it really makes it hit home how indoctrinated someone like Christine would have been.

She's from two pretty big name plyg families. That she (and Annie, before her) managed to extract themselves not just from their marriages, but from their families' religious sects is impressive.

I always feel so sad when I see Annie. Even when she's at her best on the show, I see a person who has been so injured by life.

I binged it this weekend.  It even drew my husband out of his office.  I too feel very sad for Annie.  She seems like such an interesting woman!

• Like 13
(edited)

(To be clear, I was talking about Annie -- Christine's mom -- being sad, not Anna, who is one of the documentary subjects. The family tree is already a wreath. Such similar names make it all so much harder to track.)

Edited by General Days
correct tract to track
  • Like 10
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, General Days said:

(To be clear, I was talking about Annie -- Christine's mom -- being sad, not Anna, who is one of the documentary subjects. The family tree is already a wreath. Such similar names make it all so much harder to track.)

I totally got that!

• Like 5

I did tear up during the last episode where Annie was talking about how she made Christine's dress but couldn't be at her wedding to Kody because she'd left the faith.  She could barely get her words out, she was so emotional.  And even though Christine's dad is/was the polygamist whom Annie left, even he seemed very emotional about Christine finally being happy, and understanding that Kody treated her like crap.  Maybe as he got older, he started understanding the pain he'd caused, I don't know.  But they both seemed very supportive of Christine.

Which makes me wonder....if Christine was descended from two very powerful and deadly plyg families, one might think that the wuss man-child that is Kody Brown might have wanted to treat Christine a little bit better?  I'd be freaking terrified to marry into those families, no matter how far removed, and I sure would be careful how I treated this particular "plyg princess."  There's no way he didn't know her family's murderous history.

• Like 11
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I did tear up during the last episode where Annie was talking about how she made Christine's dress but couldn't be at her wedding to Kody because she'd left the faith.  She could barely get her words out, she was so emotional.  And even though Christine's dad is/was the polygamist whom Annie left, even he seemed very emotional about Christine finally being happy, and understanding that Kody treated her like crap.  Maybe as he got older, he started understanding the pain he'd caused, I don't know.  But they both seemed very supportive of Christine.

Which makes me wonder....if Christine was descended from two very powerful and deadly plyg families, one might think that the wuss man-child that is Kody Brown might have wanted to treat Christine a little bit better?  I'd be freaking terrified to marry into those families, no matter how far removed, and I sure would be careful how I treated this particular "plyg princess."  There's no way he didn't know her family's murderous history.

This made me nearly spit out my drink!  Man, while petty, I really wish she would have told him that.  

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
On 12/11/2023 at 1:22 PM, General Days said:

I know she is using Woolley for her personal life and Brown for her professional life  

This makes sense. Using Brown and Woolley close together sounds like a caterpillar species.    I will show myself out.  

What is the name of the documentary??

• Like 2
  • LOL 15