Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Looks like it's more complicated than taking it to small claims court.

I’m still left wondering what kind of motivational retreat host doesn’t share what happened on her retreat. 

Unless, it didn’t happen as we’ve suggested  (or was a disaster with people storming out). 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

I still think she is "advertising" this as a Retreat with all sorts of "Amenities" for exorbitant prices, (with a NDA) when it really is just a reward for her high sellers and they aren't supposed to tell. I think it is some sort of Lulurags con. They may pay a small amount to come which goes in Meri's pocket.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 12
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Found this article questioning whether or not it was even legal how Meri was advertising the retreat: https://tvshowsace.com/2023/01/23/meri-brown-bb-retreat-a-scam-per-ftc-guidelines/

You posted a similar article a few weeks ago.  Both articles just repeat the baseless allegations of this Without a Crystal Ball person.  I posted a refutation of what the articles claim here:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/3427-meri-brown-and-her-wet-bar-of-tears/?do=findComment&comment=7852839

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 5
3 hours ago, General Days said:

I'm not a lawyer, but when you sue someone, doesn't the attorney usually take the case on spec, for a share of the damages (I think one third is supposed to be typical)?

That's my understanding, and so most lawyers (or most reputable lawyers) only take cases they're pretty sure they can win. If it is correct, that would mean Meri would have to find an attorney who thinks she has a good case, but if she found an attorney who thought she had a good case, that attorney would probably not charge her up front.

I welcome any correction on this. This is just my understanding, but I've never sued anyone, so I don't know.

It can be complicated. There are plenty of ads, usually for accident and injury cases where the lawyer takes your case on the contingency of their pay being from a settlement/award. So no money from you up front. They are going to be very selective about the cases they take on.

However, if you want to sue someone you usually need to pony up cash first.  The lawyer may give a free consult for you to explain your potential case and then they will need funds upfront to begin the paperwork and everything else involved.  It isn't unheard of that $10,000 upfront as a retainer is needed. So the willy nilly suing people isn't usually those without disposable income. Sadly on the other end, if you are being sued you then have to defend yourself and come up with money as well.

• Like 4
  • Useful 7
6 hours ago, General Days said:

I'm not a lawyer, but when you sue someone, doesn't the attorney usually take the case on spec, for a share of the damages (I think one third is supposed to be typical)?

That's my understanding, and so most lawyers (or most reputable lawyers) only take cases they're pretty sure they can win. If it is correct, that would mean Meri would have to find an attorney who thinks she has a good case, but if she found an attorney who thought she had a good case, that attorney would probably not charge her up front.

I welcome any correction on this. This is just my understanding, but I've never sued anyone, so I don't know.

Plenty of us charge hourly rates. Contingency fees usually come in when there is a deep-pockets defendant or a class action where individuals aren't solvent enough to pay hefty lawyer fees. The main issue I see with this "NDA" (which I'm sure was pulled off the internet, has tons of inapplicable clauses and misapplied Latin phrases) is that she'd have to show damages. What damages could she show? What is the harm to her business (LOL), safety, intellectual or physical property? What damages could she possibly (and realistically--they have to be actual, not theoretical, damages) incur from someone speaking truthfully about the "retreat"?

NDA violations rarely have significant consequences unless we're talking about a high-dollar tech company going after someone who disclosed a trade secret, or a celebrity whose livelihood or safety are threatened by the disclosure. Behind all those consequences are a common thing: the money and legal footing to actually follow through. Meri has neither.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 11
20 hours ago, Roslyn said:

It can be complicated. There are plenty of ads, usually for accident and injury cases where the lawyer takes your case on the contingency of their pay being from a settlement/award. So no money from you up front. They are going to be very selective about the cases they take on.

However, if you want to sue someone you usually need to pony up cash first.  The lawyer may give a free consult for you to explain your potential case and then they will need funds upfront to begin the paperwork and everything else involved.  It isn't unheard of that $10,000 upfront as a retainer is needed. So the willy nilly suing people isn't usually those without disposable income. Sadly on the other end, if you are being sued you then have to defend yourself and come up with money as well.

Contingency! That's the word I was looking for ("spec" was the best that I could come up with). Thank you for the explanation, and for the reminder about retainers.

18 hours ago, monagatuna said:

Plenty of us charge hourly rates. Contingency fees usually come in when there is a deep-pockets defendant or a class action where individuals aren't solvent enough to pay hefty lawyer fees. The main issue I see with this "NDA" (which I'm sure was pulled off the internet, has tons of inapplicable clauses and misapplied Latin phrases) is that she'd have to show damages. What damages could she show? What is the harm to her business (LOL), safety, intellectual or physical property? What damages could she possibly (and realistically--they have to be actual, not theoretical, damages) incur from someone speaking truthfully about the "retreat"?

NDA violations rarely have significant consequences unless we're talking about a high-dollar tech company going after someone who disclosed a trade secret, or a celebrity whose livelihood or safety are threatened by the disclosure. Behind all those consequences are a common thing: the money and legal footing to actually follow through. Meri has neither.

Thank you for setting me straight!

Your discussion of damages included a mention of celebrities whose livelihoods or safety are threatened by disclosure. I always figured Meri had the NDA because this is a "self-love"* type of retreat, and if she ended up talking about her personal life (i.e. things that aren't on the show), she didn't want it all over the internet the next day.

I also figured she had it, to keep tabloid reporters from booking themselves a weekend, insinuating themselves into her confidence, then publishing some slam piece in the National Enquirer or whatever. Might she have legal footing to pursue action against that type of disclosure?

*For crying out loud, Meri, you sweet summer Mormon child, call it "self-care." "Self-love" sounds like a whole different kind of retreat. 

21 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

[The] articles just repeat the baseless allegations of this Without a Crystal Ball person.  I posted a refutation of what the articles claim here:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/3427-meri-brown-and-her-wet-bar-of-tears/?do=findComment&comment=7852839

I remember reading the first post when you posted it. I found it a little cathartic, because All About the Tea and Without a Crystal Ball (and other outlets of their ilk) drive me crazy with that deceptive, "According to the FTC, Meri Brown broke every law ever written" sort of language.

Edited by General Days
typo
  • Like 8
On 2/22/2023 at 12:13 AM, GeeGolly said:

We're not talking, say, Tom Brady's nanny, we're talking about someone who went on a Z-list retreat. I'm sure they could spout away with little repercussions, but if they were worried about it, but still wanted to get the info out...

Sally could tell Jane about the retreat and ask Jane to tell someone way outside Sally's circle. So Jane tells Dick all about it and Dick posts it on SM. Meri has no authority over Dick, nor does anyone else, so no one can compel Dick to give up his 'source'.

Sure Meri could try to figure it out, but would she try? And would she be successful?

See Spot. See Robyn. Run, Spot, Run!  

• LOL 9
On 2/22/2023 at 4:42 AM, Cetacean said:

I can't see Meri paying an attorney to sue someone.  How much money could she win on something so trivial?  It's not like she's hiding the secret to a cure for cancer.

And all it takes is someone dragging their feet, not answering the lawyers requests and Meri will run out of $ before it ever sees a courtroom.  Ask me how I know.  I will never sue anyone again.

• Like 7
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 2

Fans suspect Meri Brown has revealed relationship with a woman

Meri posted a photo and a narrative (it was the woman’s birthday) and then quickly took it down, but some managed screen shots of it. I have no idea what to make of it — could simply be a close friend — but here’s the link to the story: 

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/7473488/sister-wives-fans-suspect-meri-revealed-romantic-partner/amp/

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 1

I suspect that there's a fair amount of overlap between people who are uncritical enough about their finances to think spending $6,000 + travel for the privilege of meeting Meri! Brown! Boss Babe! (and evil step-mom, allegedly) and those that would be scared off by a bit of legalese like NDA.  

OTOH, it's always seemed to me that the type of people who have an extra $6,000 just lying around, wouldn't be the type to spend it on Meri Brown, z-list former poly and MLM queen in rural Potawan. I'm on team, this is a free (ish) trip for the downline and the exorbitant sticker price makes them believe they've won something big. I'm guessing the Venn diagram between people who are still into LuLaRot after all the scandals and those who think Meri is generously giving them the trip of a lifetime is more or less a circle. 

• Like 18
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

That post sounds like the usual gushy drivel Meri is always posting, not a "soft launch" of announcing she's in a relationship with another woman as someone suggested. 

I'm guessing that is why she took the post down .... it was generating speculation that made her uncomfortable.  

• Like 21
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Meri posted a photo and a narrative (it was the woman’s birthday) and then quickly took it down, but some managed screen shots of it. I have no idea what to make of it — could simply be a close friend — but here’s the link to the story: 

https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/7473488/sister-wives-fans-suspect-meri-revealed-romantic-partner/amp/

"She's got my back, I've got hers. She's one I would walk through a fire for, and have literally walked through fire with." She LITERALLY walked through fire with her? When was this fire?

• LOL 15
3 minutes ago, Teri313 said:

"She's got my back, I've got hers. She's one I would walk through a fire for, and have literally walked through fire with." She LITERALLY walked through fire with her? When was this fire?

Several months ago she posted that while on some kind of self help retreat, there was an event of walking over a bed of hot coals in the ground. Kind of a mind over matter thing.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I'm guessing that is why she took the post down .... it was generating speculation that made her uncomfortable.  

I think that's exactly it, Celia. Meri gushed about one of her friends on their birthday, and then (I shit you not), Rosie O'Donnell trolled her. No. Yes. That Rosie O'Donnell. I was going to bring receipts, but the Reddit mod deleted the screenshot of Meri's now-deleted Instagram post.

Anyhow, Rosie's trolling was in the vein of treating Meri like she is a closeted lesbian (I can't remember the wording). 

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 4
5 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Meri directly refuted this and (once again) came out as straight, on last night's Friday With Friends (I have embedded a Reddit post with a clip, so that people don't have to sit through the whole FWF to hear the relevant part).

• Like 2
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 2
16 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Wait, that's not Just Jen is it? Did Jen get kicked to the curb for this new fire walking friend? 

The woman in the video clip I shared is Jen.

The woman Meri wished a happy birthday to, and then removed the post after getting trolled, was someone named Amy (I think).

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 4
6 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Moroni cannot be an actual first name for a person. 

Sure it is.  Mormons are poster children for bizarre names and I bet there are hundreds of Moronis out there.  The Angel Moroni visited Joseph Smith and had something to do with golden tablets or some other weird thing.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Sure it is.  Mormons are poster children for bizarre names and I bet there are hundreds of Moronis out there.  The Angel Moroni visited Joseph Smith and had something to do with golden tablets or some other weird thing.

Thanks for explaining that one.  The only other time I've heard that name was on a show called Three Wives, One Husband.

• Like 6
On 2/25/2023 at 5:53 AM, TurtlePower said:

Meri found someone she's more close to than her bestie JEN???  WHUT??  Did Jen finally catch a clue and start taking care of her own family and not MERI??  Inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

If Meri went on a retreat where she walked on hot coals - then she is deeper down the rabbit hole of cults than I thought.

IMO, the whole polygamy culture is a cult, and as she moved away from that community that she got involved with MLM cults/cult-adjacent organizations. She is primed to  be sucked into whatever the next NXIUM or whatever. 

She is a lost soul. I actually feel bad for her. Still don't like her, but i do feel bad. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
On 12/26/2022 at 10:13 PM, altopower said:

That makes me sad. I don't like Meri much, and I know that lots of people (including me) didn't spend the holidays with family, but she only has one child. It would have been nice to spend the holiday together, the way the other ex-wives did.

Leon is mean

• Like 14

Meri did some sort of response post. I saw someone post it on TikTok. Anyhoo she was saying she’s straight !!! But not just saying it , yelling it.   Woman, why are you always yelling ?????

• Like 4
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, dariafan said:

Meri did some sort of response post. I saw someone post it on TikTok. Anyhoo she was saying she’s straight !!! But not just saying it , yelling it.   Woman, why are you always yelling ?????

This is one of the things that annoys me most about her. She can’t just gently explain she’s straight, she has to YELL it. It makes her come off so rude.

Meri’s abrasive yelling and rudeness would make for great sketch comedy material. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
15 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Meri's a bitch, and everyone knows it.  I can't believe she has any friends.  She's even known to treat paying customers like dirt.

Thoroughly unlikeable to the core.

I remember her being insulting and sarcastic to her buyers. Don’t dare ask her a question, or you may get a snarky tone that oozes “you idiot” as an answer. 

Meri Brown is not a nice person, yet she works so hard to appear supportive and inspirational on social media

I believe it’s possible for people to change after some deep soul searching, but Meri’s method is to try to keep hiding her true self with false positivity. Always has been. Meanwhile, we see a scowling sourpuss on the show, which is the real Meri. In fact, nearly all the images of Meri from the show are scowling. A screen shot of images of Meri on the show and they are ALL frowny face Meri, except one side by side where it shows a filtered Meri . WHY does she do this? 

16041DAF-8A52-4425-AF16-0BA3E37CBFB4.jpeg

• Like 8
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I remember her being insulting and sarcastic to her buyers. Don’t dare ask her a question, or you may get a snarky tone that oozes “you idiot” as an answer. 

Meri Brown is not a nice person, yet she works so hard to appear supportive and inspirational on social media

I believe it’s possible for people to change after some deep soul searching, but Meri’s method is to try to keep hiding her true self with false positivity. Always has been. Meanwhile, we see a scowling sourpuss on the show, which is the real Meri. In fact, nearly all the images of Meri from the show are scowling. A screen shot of images of Meri on the show and they are ALL frowny face Meri, except one side by side where it shows a filtered Meri . WHY does she do this? 

16041DAF-8A52-4425-AF16-0BA3E37CBFB4.jpeg

Woah!  I especially like the side by side HA!!!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
13 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I think Meri is so jealous that Christine got a man and Meri is still single!

But that cannot possibly be! Meri is the confident queen of self-love and powerful boss babe! 🙄 

Nah! You’re probably right. All Meri’s braggy self love posts are because she requires external validation from social media and probably is squirming because Christine is in a relationship with an actual man 😆

• Like 14
8 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

But that cannot possibly be! Meri is the confident queen of self-love and powerful boss babe! 🙄 

Nah! You’re probably right. All Meri’s braggy self love posts are because she requires external validation from social media and probably is squirming because Christine is in a relationship with an actual man 😆

Oh lordy, I just realized she's the only remaining "wife" who's only been with Kody. That would be enough to make anyone miserable. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Dear cannoli Meri looks nothing like her Instagram face. Like NOTHING.

She needs to smile more and eat some cake or chug plexus. 

No man will approach a sour/mean mug like that lol. Jeez.

I know there’s someone for everyone, but yeah — what you said. The “sour, mean mug” and her snarky nature won’t exactly attract people. Anyone who’s seen the show has seen her walls, her tantrums and her deflecting. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Meri's latest on IG - she gives all of us her top 3 tips for how she stays so positive and happy, since many of us have been asking her!  If you can't stand the suspense, here are her three tips (hope you've got a pen and paper handy)!

1. READ (read all the comments on your posts and delete the negative Nancys because what do they know?  Nothing!  That's what!  Hahaha)

2. GRATITUDE (be grateful that your ex-husband didn't completely forget your name yet!  Surely that means there must still be a chance at reconciliation!  Right??  Woohoo!)

3. MOVEMENT (lace up those shooties and lumber around your garage moving giant tubs of LuLaRoe leggings and before you know it, you'll be sweating off your foundation!  Just spackle on another layer and keep going!  #BossBabe)

I love some of the comments, though...."Who's asking you those questions?"  "You can't sell what you don't own."  And my fave: "Phony baloney."

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 18
23 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Meri's latest on IG - she gives all of us her top 3 tips for how she stays so positive and happy, since many of us have been asking her!  If you can't stand the suspense, here are her three tips (hope you've got a pen and paper handy)!

1. READ (read all the comments on your posts and delete the negative Nancys because what do they know?  Nothing!  That's what!  Hahaha)

2. GRATITUDE (be grateful that your ex-husband didn't completely forget your name yet!  Surely that means there must still be a chance at reconciliation!  Right??  Woohoo!)

3. MOVEMENT (lace up those shooties and lumber around your garage moving giant tubs of LuLaRoe leggings and before you know it, you'll be sweating off your foundation!  Just spackle on another layer and keep going!  #BossBabe)

I love some of the comments, though...."Who's asking you those questions?"  "You can't sell what you don't own."  And my fave: "Phony baloney."

You articulated what I was thinking. Meri? HAPPY? 

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

How would that person know that the rice krispie treat was delicious if she hasn't even unwrapped it yet?  Or did she take a bite and wrap it back up?  How fresh can that treat be if it spent a week in a mailing envelope on its way to Marcia in Omaha?  Wouldn't it absorb the scent and taste of cheap polyester and dampness?  Would you eat a rice krispie treat that has been delivered to you in the mail?  

I think that's all of my questions for now.

I’m glad I’m not the only one questioning eating that Rice Krispie treat. I think it’s weird Meri even put it in there.  I mean it’s not like some exotic gourmet treat.  Plus, she didn’t even put it in some sort of cute decorative bakery container/bag.  It’s smooshed in some cheap Saran Wrap and she couldn’t spare more than one?  CHEAP! I mean she just made tens of thousands  of dollars from her extravagant retreat! STINGY! 

• Like 7
  • LOL 9
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Speaking of retreat redux, did we ever see any pics or proof that it even took place?  I thought Meri posted that a couple of "tiers" were sold out!

Come on, someone break that NDA!!

But I don't recall Meri posting anything about this second sold-out retreat like she did the first one.  Probably because she knows the eagle-eyed folks on this and other forums would notice that the attendees were the exact same people who got roped into attending the first one.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 11

For the holidays you can get colored and flavored rice crispies.  My daughter makes them for school using half colored and half regular rice crispies.  Meri can't even be bothered doing that or adding the chocolate crispies.  Oddly my daughter considers them stale after a couple of days and there Meri is mailing with clothes!

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1