Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/09/15

Jaded
  • Start Topic

I wouldn't doubt Whoopi would actually make the effort to show up live on Friday if it's for a birthday bash where everyone will bask in awe at the feet of the Great Whoopi. I'm sure they have the same clips from Ghost, Sister Act, and TCP ready to go.

Oh you know what?  I wonder those Whoopi faces are for her pre-taped birthday show.  Maybe they taped that show first and today's audience members picked up the masks the previous audience tossed on the floor on their way out, LOL.    Or they are using the same audience and handed them out early. t I bet those Whoopi Faces show up again tomorrow. 

• Love 3

Omg the whole hour is Whoopi? Joy got a b'day segment then the show went on to other things, IIRC. I may have to pass on this one.

I'm passing on it completely. Have it on NBC where Andy Cohen is guest hosting with Hoda.

• Love 3

I bowed out when Micky and Minnie Mouse appeared.  WTF?  I hate Disney anything.  I do not speak of the newer movies because I haven't seen them but I doubt they can hold a candle to Monsters Inc.  

Why they think we want an entire hour of Whoopi's birthday is beyond me.

I'm watching -- hey, DeNiro and Bill Clinton, I'm in -- but it really is completely over the top.  My fervent, breathless hope is that they are holding a huge bash for her because she'll not be on The View for her 61st birthday. This amount of ass-kissing and tongue-bathing is absolutely insane.

• Love 6

Well, dammit all to hell and back;

I. got totally sucked in at minute 45-ish with the diva legends of disco. It's a must see for ....urm... people of a certain age. I started dancing around the room and frankly, I was having a pretty shit day up til then. Jus sayin..... (some music does that to me.... in a good way) And even ignorant, annoying Raven was rockin it in the background, singing and dancing. Paula and Michelle looked .... uncomfortable like they were from another planet. *snort* At least Michele was clapping on the 2 and 4 and not the 1 and 3 heh. Those ladies' voices were awesome  even at their ages. WOW,   

Also, If I were being honest - I was kind of impressed with all the folks who gave Whoopi b'day wishes... either in person or video clips. - some big names....really big. I was shocked actually. WUT? 

Why could Minnie blink and Mickey could not? I wonder these things. Note to self: Get a life.

Now I want to eat Chik Fil-A

Why is it when I make a post with a spelling or grammar error and I try to edit, my laptop freezes up? I cant get to the post to correct it and so I look like an illiterate moron. :) Or maybe that ship has sailed.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

to sum up today's show -  Whoopi is 60, she is wonderful, even when some people disagree with her.  Raven thinks Whoop is the most amazing human being who ever lived, acknowledges that "some people don't think so - they're stupid."   (huh?)

Mickey & Minnie love whoopi, and want everyone to come to Disneyland because they are also celebrating 60 years of something, and have new stuff that they want everyone to see. 

Howard Stern, Jimmy fallon, bill Clinton and a million other celebrities  love whoopi..   Robert DeNiro and Billy Crystal came in person to say they love Whoop, and Billy brought the most hideous cake you've ever seen.  Raven painted a picture for her, Joy gave her lasagna.  Whoopi did some commercials for random stuff (including her very important book on relationships), Chick fil A , her daughter's line of cocktail-inspired nail polishes.  then whoopi does her version of "Oprah's favorite things", but it's a very low-rent version, with the audience cheering in an obvious attempt to replicate Oprah's audience's going nuts with thousands of dollars worth of stuff. .  THIS  audience gets chicken sandwiches, a doll,  some craft thing to make a t-shirt, nail polish, soap, coasters,  and oh yeah -  Whoopi's BOOK!  And two more books!  Oh, and a cellphone which is NOT the Apple I-phone Whoop has always says she LOVES, no, today she loves a Nexxus android phone. 

then some singers sing "it's raining men"  in honor of whoop.  (huh?) and the hosts all join in onstage, dancing and singing.  Then there's more people who love Whoop.   And whoopi says she's had a rough year,  and that the show is "still here because the audience is still here". 

(bolded parts are hints that all is not well at the show, do you think?)

Edited by backformore
  • Love 8

That was an impressive group of people sending birthday wishes.  I guess it's supposed to elevate Whoopi in our eyes ("look at the company she keeps, Viewers!"), except not so much.  It was a little cringe-y, and I still think Whoopi Goldberg is an a**hole.  In fact, it may have tainted the impressive group a tiny bit (to me).    

Forgot:  Yes, the music was fantastic.  Obviously, the best part of the show.

Edited by MatchaLove
  • Love 8

Omg the whole hour is Whoopi? Joy got a b'day segment then the show went on to other things, IIRC. I may have to pass on this one.

Same thing for Paula. This is why I didn't watch, because I knew it would be all about her the whole hour. She's insufferable.

@wings707: They really had Mickey and Minnie come out? lol Disney just barely missed a fiasco there. If they'd had Anna and Elsa come out, Whoopi probably would've punched them in the face and screamed, "WHERE ARE THE BOYS' TOYS??!!"

• Love 3

What? No birthday messages from her dear friend Mel Gibson?

I fastforwarded EVERYTHING except for the music. And even though I was a child of the 70s, I loved the music and I was singin' and dancin' and was hopin' that Gloria Raynor could have been there!

What?

Sigh. So, this week.  I think the person who wrote that article about "hook ups in college" doesn't know what that means; nor does Paula. Because everything they said, is attributed to rape. Which hook ups are not. Hook ups are just that: hook ups. Neither party cares about safety, security, relationships, etc.  Well, that's what I got out of it anyways.

And yes, I like that Paula doesn't let Whoopi push her around but she still irritates. We I had to deal with years of "As a mother" and now it's "As a Christian" meme.  Also, Paula? When Raven (and I can't believe I'm defending that moron) said that they didn't need to talk about Trump and that the only reason he's still in the media is because the fucking media keeps giving him attention, she was right. "We" don't "NEED" to keep talking about him because he's not the fucking nominee. He's a blowhard who is running for the office of president, or rather hoping he'll make the cut so that he can run.  And if YOU think YOU need to keep talking about him because of that, then YOUYOUYOU need to talk about ALL of them.  And then there's her "to be fair" interruptions. Whatever.  I don't know what the word is or the correct phrase, but when they were talking about abortion, Paula then had to insert, hey, you know what? that Roe? The woman who this case was about? She's actually pro-life and against Abortion! As if just because the woman is pro-life now, that the law/decision should be overturned.  It's why I LOOOOVE Gloria Stenheim and what she had to say to Paula about abortion and what Feminisim means.

• Love 4

Oh, man ... I will label this episode under "Bullets, dodged."  A full hour-long salute to Whoopi???   You gotta be kidding me.

Thanks to everyone here who warned me off this mess (although I have to admit after the first post or two I stopped reading and only skimmed.  I refuse to even READ about an all Whoopi episode!)

I have to ask the question, though .... why is this on?  Does the general, non-snarking online audience actually want to see this kind of thing?  It is hard for me to imagine that there are people out there who actually like Whoopi Goldberg, I guess.  But the producers must have some reason to believe anyone would want to sit through this.  Wouldn't they?  Or does Whoopi have some kind of information she is using the blackmail them en mass or something?  Like, she caught them gathered together sacrificing a baby to Satan and she taped it all on her i-phone and now uses it to control them?   Because I just can't imagine why anyone would willingly fill an hour of the airwaves with a salute to the most ignorant, obnoxious, foul old beast I've ever seen on my TV. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 7
Because I just can't imagine why anyone would willingly fill an hour of the airwaves with a salute to the most ignorant, obnoxious, foul old beast I've ever seen on my TV.

In thanking everyone at the end of the show, Whoopi did say it had been "a difficult year" for her.  Hopefully she meant this show and she's DONE!

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 7

The tshirt said something like, "I only look illegal". Presumably meaning, "I might look young but you can legally have sex with me." Charming.

That's what I thought at first, but then I wasn't sure. I guess it could mean either "I only look like I'm underage, but I'm old enough to have sex" OR "I only look like I'm in the country illegally, but I'm really a citizen. "

I'm not sure which is the intended meaning. But since it COULD be taken the first way, it seems weird to have it come in child sizes.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2

Hmm, that second interpretation is interesting. Perhaps they should have done something to clue us in on the intended meaning. All I know is I shudder at the notion of a teenage girl wearing that (even if it's meant to refer to citizenship rather than sex).

• Love 3

I read comments on articles and such when The View is mentioned and the amount of Whoopi praise shocks me at times. I don't know if it's because people are still star struck due to how famous Whoopi used to be and just look past her crude and selfish behavior or what. So many people think she's the best part of the show.

• Love 2

99.9% of the comments on the show's Facebook page are positive about Whoopi today. 

https://www.facebook.com/TheView/

What is going on?

Did she share her stash of pot with viewers? It's definitely one of her favorite things!

It's always been like that on The View's Facebook.  Lots of Whoopi-love.  A few times I made a negative comment, fully expecting a deluge of comments, but barely a word, even a few likes.  So, I think we're the not-so-silent majority & the Whoopi-lovers will stick with her no matter what.  So there's that ....

• Love 4

They can have her on Facebook. We know her real personality. I figured abc underlings have been prepping those"star" congratulations just like they prep obits for sudden deaths of celebrities. They probably have stars tape a bunch of happy birthday congrats to abt 20 stars at a time , and then store them up for airing when the time comes. In the immortal words of Joy, so what, who cares.

• Love 6

Oh! Thanks MorgaLisa for reminding me.  I had to roll my eyes at Whoopi's enthusiasm at interviewing those two astronauts in deep space. Why? Because I recall a few years ago, where she said on this show, that she thought that first landing on the Moon was a hoax. That's right, Whoopi didn't believe we actually went to the moon.

And though I stopped watching in the intervening years, I don't recall anyone mentioning either here or on TWoP, that she ever said she now believed it did happen.

• Love 4

Oh! Thanks MorgaLisa for reminding me.  I had to roll my eyes at Whoopi's enthusiasm at interviewing those two astronauts in deep space. Why? Because I recall a few years ago, where she said on this show, that she thought that first landing on the Moon was a hoax. That's right, Whoopi didn't believe we actually went to the moon.

And though I stopped watching in the intervening years, I don't recall anyone mentioning either here or on TWoP, that she ever said she now believed it did happen.

Maybe she had an epiphany about the moon landing at the same time it finally dawned on her (thanks to Dan Abrams) that statutes of limitation can prevent prosecution for rape. After all, it's never too late to learn!

• Love 6

Just got around to watching yesterdays show. When they were talking about Trump's comments about NASA, Raven said, "We need those astronomers up there. Such a dummy.

I missed that line.  Such an idiot.  

And Trump unable to "get" that the child was asking about NASA and repeating "Napa?"  Yes Mr Trump, a ten year old little boy wants to know your position on the vineyards of Northern California.  :) 

Edited by MatchaLove
  • Love 6

Just got around to watching yesterdays show. When they were talking about Trump's comments about NASA, Raven said, "We need those astronomers up there. Such a dummy.

Yes Morgalisa, I caught that too.  She said "astronomers" instead of "astronauts" but later, when they were talking about time, she said if weren't for the astronomers watching the stars, there wouldn't be time, or something like that.  So I'm not quite sure what she meant the first time, but I thought the astronomers/time reference was deep for her.  LOL.

• Love 4

Thank  you to everyone that took one for the Team and reported back!  Sounds like today's show might have killed me, lol, but your recaps and comments cracked me up.  Especially yours @ backformore.    But tell me, did the audience use the Whoopi face masks?  

" A full hour-long salute to Whoopi??? You gotta be kidding me

Sounds like this show made it a Disney commercial.  Disneyland is 60 this year - so maybe that's why ABC went all out for Whoopi.  Gross.  

I don't believe for a minute the big names wishing Whoopi Happy Birthday watch this show.  I'm 100% sure they don't watch it as much as we do.  They don't know the Whoopi I know.  Maybe they remember the Whoopi I used to like?   The one that never comes to work on The Spew.  

Raven thinks Whoop is the most amazing human being who ever lived, acknowledges that "some people don't think so - they're stupid."   (huh?)

So Raven thinks I'm stupid?  Well right back at ya Raven.     Although Whoopi is rather amazing in that she has kept this job this long when anyone else doing anything else this unprofessionally would have been fired long ago.  

99.9% of the comments on the show's Facebook page are positive about Whoopi today. 
What is going on?
Did she share her stash of pot with viewers? It's definitely one of her favorite things!

Isn't there some sort of giveaway if you make a post on their FB page?   It always makes me laugh that after years of Whoopi telling us not to contact them via email, Twitter, FB, etc.  this year they are bribing viewers to like and follow their pages.  

Bwahahaha!   Awesome.   Did anyone correct her?   I'm going out on a limb here and guess no -  they probably weren't even listening. 

ETA:  I just saw a clip of the show with the disco queens!    And I couldn't help but notice Whoopi's outfit was actually a normal, nice looking outfit, [long asymmetrical dark sweater over black leggings and black riding boots] something I see on every other woman in Costco, something which is about five steps up from her normal bag lady look.   So now I know she can dress decent when she wants to which somehow makes her regular slob appearance even worse. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

Did they say something on The View about how the show passed on Whoopi once before, but that Joy pushed for her later? I read that elsewhere, but it hadn't been commented here.

In Joy's defense, Whoopi only turned fully rancid recently. I guess this would also explain why Whoopi is actually nice to Joy.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 2

It's always been like that on The View's Facebook.  Lots of Whoopi-love.  A few times I made a negative comment, fully expecting a deluge of comments, but barely a word, even a few likes.  So, I think we're the not-so-silent majority & the Whoopi-lovers will stick with her no matter what.  So there's that ....

Anytime I posted anything negative on their page I got attacked and had to block a couple of posters, no thanks! 

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

What is going on?

I can believe that. She was a lot less bitchy. Actually she said that she is glad to be alive since some people don't make it to see 60. She was .....IDK.... almost.... what's the word? Normal-ish and sincere-ish. And as mentioned, someone with a little taste apparently dressed her for a change.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

I know right? I LOLd for realz. :)  *sigh* it is funny and sad at the same time.  She has crossed into flat earth territory.

• Love 3

Thanks for all the reports. I skipped it. One question though. Joy made her lasagne, Raven painted a picture. What did Michelle and Paula get her?

Not surprised that Facebook offers prizes. That explains the complimentary posts. People would do anything for a prize!

I think Whoopi said she had a difficult year because of her brother's death.

Until she mentioned it on yesterday's show, I didn't know Whoopi had FOUR brothers and sisters.

I didn't know that either. It makes her statement earlier this year that she didn't grow up with any siblings all the more puzzling.

• Love 2

According to whoopis Wikipedia page, her mother raised whoop and Clyde as a single mother. So I take it that if whoop does have other siblings, she is referring to half siblings who may not have lived with her.

The same page, by the way, refers to an interview in 1984 in which whoop refused to tell her birth name, AND was 35 years old at the time of the interview. Which would put her at 66 now. Just saying.

• Love 4

According to whoopis Wikipedia page, her mother raised whoop and Clyde as a single mother. So I take it that if whoop does have other siblings, she is referring to half siblings who may not have lived with her.

The same page, by the way, refers to an interview in 1984 in which whoop refused to tell her birth name, AND was 35 years old at the time of the interview. Which would put her at 66 now. Just saying.

Just for clarification... http://www.nytimes.com/1984/10/21/theater/whoopi-s-ready-but-is-broadway.html

• Love 2

Until she mentioned it on yesterday's show, I didn't know Whoopi had FOUR brothers and sisters.

Perhaps this was mis-heard?

Any bio of her that I've just searched for mentions only her brother Clyde...nothing about other brothers or sisters.

From People bio:

http://www.biography.com/people/whoopi-goldberg-9314384

Whoopi Goldberg was born Caryn Elaine Johnson on November 13, 1955, in New York City. Goldberg and her younger brother, Clyde, were raised by their mother, Emma, in a housing project in the Chelsea section of Manhattan

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoopi_Goldberg

Goldberg has described her mother as a "stern, strong, and wise woman" who raised her as a single mother[7] with her brother Clyde (1949 – May 11, 2015[8]).

ETA:  Oops...we were all researching and posting at the same time.  Sorry for the redundancy.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 1

At least she didn't say "astrologers" -- though I'll bet she doesn't know the difference.

• Love 8

When I saw happy 60th birthday I thought. Huh? That can't be right

My math is pathetic, but if her brother was born in 1949 and is her younger brother, wouldn't that make her closer to the 66 mentioned above? 

Adding that her brother's age at time of death is listed as 65, but I can't believe that she is older than that.  Strange numbers.

• Love 4