Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E13: The Girl Who Took A Shot In The Dark

So the best part of this episode was...reading these comments. I've over here in the amen corner... :)

I don't know if it made it to market but I remember reading about an app that will translate signs if you hold your phone's camera up to the sign. A quick Google search showed that there are already apps that can help you learn sign language but if what Nyle was talking about was an interpreter in the same vein, I hope a real entrepreneur/venture capitalist has contacted him or will soon. While watching this I was kind of hoping that Tyra would say that the $2,500 was just a joke and that she's going to help the winner in a real way. Womp womp...oh well...

well someone did reach out to him, or he reached out to someone cause for $10 http://theaslapp.com/#about you can have Nyle telling you this: https://twitter.com/adamantpoetry/status/662844114300354560

Lacey, from one writer to another: Your memoir does not a business opportunity make. Youthful Christian virgin? The shelves are full. Now, if you decided to up and murder your fellow hamsters in their sleep...one by one after their elimination episodes...THAT might get you a pretty decent book deal. You're welcome.

I think Lacey can have a successful book, but not a biography. i'm not sure how rich teenage "self help" publishing is with choices, but her being a Chistian virgin, someone who was insecure but worked on that, and in general a relatable nice girl can be a good platform for something that's not necessarily a straight up autobiography, just personal experience to help other girls. Think "Amazing Amy" from Gone Girl lol

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 3

IMO, fugly Kelly (does she ever wash her hair?)  was cruel to Devin, a young guy just trying to make his way in the world. No need to try to humiliate him from your position of power, fugly witch. I was glad to see him hold his own with you.

Nyle! Don't leave! Ever! (Pity the foo' who ain't watching you!)

And just WTH thought, "Hey, I know! Let's make deaf Nyle virtually BLIND, too! AND let's put him on top of a teeny platform! Yuk, yuk!"

Mikey's socks and wife-beaters. Bleagh!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 6

So I take it these models are not going overseas at all? Final 4 and still no overseas trip, usually final 6 get to go. Is that budget so strapped that Las Vegas and camping is all they're going to get? What a rip off. I guess Tyra couldn't talk an airline into changing their name to Tymerican Airlines, Telta, Tywest Airlines, Talaska Airlines, Tynited Airlines.

You forgot Tyet Blue - or would it be Jet Blooch or Jet Boom Boom Boom?

I checked Google Maps and there is no body of water between LA and LV, so no "overseas" trip this year, unless Tyra got the pilot to circle over Lake Mead.  

• Love 4

Just when it seems like this show couldn't possibly sink any lower, it did, at Nyle's expense. Nyle had the best app by far, but Kelly shot it down because he can't afford a publicist?  News flash, Kel: plenty of successful business people have not only managed to succeed without a big PR machine, some of them even got rich! Three words, Kelly: "Word of mouth." Google it, bitch

Two words: Flappy Bird

well someone did reach out to him, or he reached out to someone cause for $10 http://theaslapp.com/#about you can have Nyle telling you this: https://twitter.com/adamantpoetry/status/662844114300354560

I think Lacey can have a successful book, but not a biography. i'm not sure how rich teenage "self help" publishing is with choices, but her being a Chistian virgin, someone who was insecure but worked on that, and in general a relatable nice girl can be a good platform for something that's not necessarily a straight up autobiography, just personal experience to help other girls. Think "Amazing Amy" from Gone Girl lol

Re the app: Sweet! Also, I didn't know he's fourth-generation deaf. I've heard of second-generation (deaf kids of deaf parents), but fourth is something else entirely. I bet they'd have some really interesting stories to tell in that family.

Re Lacey's book career (lol): If you go to a Christian bookstore you'll find quite a bit available for young adults on overcoming struggles. I haven't been in one in a very long time but I can only imagine the selection has increased since then. "Youthful Christian virgin" isn't that unique IMO. "Youthful Christian virgin mass murderer", on the other hand... :)

• Love 3

I don't think Tyra was considered a supermodel (in her on mind she was) yes she was successful but she's no Gisele, saying this I wonder if Tyra has some sort of chip on her shoulder.

Oh, TyTy has a huge chip on her shoulder.

• Love 2
I think she has a big microchip in her, she's a robot from another planet.

TyBot

I think what I'm going to miss about this show is posting in this forum. The recaps and responses never cease to make me laugh. ANTM has gotten so hilariously bad that there's plenty of snark material. One of the worst shows on TV and yet, I can't stop watching it until its end.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 10

I think know the answer to this but I thought I would ask it: Does any of the big players in the fashion industry take Tyra / ANTM (contestants etc.) seriously?

No they don't take the ANTM contestants seriously. Several former contestants said that the fashion industry don't take them seriously and it's best for them to not even mention ANTM. IDK if the fashion industry takes Tyra seriously but after this cycle I'm pretty sure Tyra is a running joke to them now. 

• Love 3

No they don't take the ANTM contestants seriously. Several former contestants said that the fashion industry don't take them seriously and it's best for them to not even mention ANTM. IDK if the fashion industry takes Tyra seriously but after this cycle I'm pretty sure Tyra is a running joke to them now.

I quit taking Tyra/ANTM somewhat seriously after Saleisha's tainted win.

• Love 1

Also, haven't a few of the former contestants who have managed to work in the industry changed their names? I wonder if that's part of separating themselves from having done the show.

I wish someone would give Kelly Cutrone an on air critique:

What qualifies you to be a judge of beauty?

Why do you always wear an unfashionable black smock?

Why is your hair so long and stringy?

Why do you have a flat, monotone voice?

Why does your face resemble an unpleasant pasty white turtle?

Why are you such a smug, hateful person?

I'll be so glad when this show is over so I won't have to see her again (hopefully). I can't imagine why

anyone hires her to do anything.

I'm also wondering why Tyra is in love with her shoulders lately. I've seen a few episodes of her

new show Fab- something, and she looks like an Amazon with all of her outfits.

I  think she's a beautiful woman, but I question her apparel choices.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 2

I think know the answer to this but I thought I would ask it: Does any of the big players in the fashion industry take Tyra / ANTM (contestants etc.) seriously?

I thought quite a few of the alums from ANTM went on to be Project Runway models.  But I've never heard of one becoming the next huge thing.

I'll be so glad when this show is over so I won't have to see her again (hopefully). I can't imagine why

I'm also wondering why Tyra is in love with her shoulders lately. I've seen a few episodes of her

new show Fab- something and she looks like an Amazon with all of her outfits every single day.

I think she's a beautiful woman, but I question her apparel choices.

I think Ty is using shoulder pads to create an artificially smaller waist.  She is a tricky one that Tyra.

LOL @ everything you said about Kelley...she does look like an angry white turtle.

• Love 2

I think Lacey's book, if it's a chickflick or young adult novel could be quite... good. As the genre goes. Just don't make it autobiography, but you have this naive and good chick in big mean world, she wants this and that, but she has her morals and needs to make choices... why not. I sometimes still read that stuff and the stories are simple... I think one reads it more of the entertaiming moments. At least I do. Some YA/Chick flick novels have quite hilarious moments. Not sure if Lacey would be capable of writing such thing though. Hard to judge.

Also, I am happy for Nyle he got his app.

Yeah, she is very very unpleasant. I mean, in the first cycle she appeared on, British invasion, two girls quit and one almost quit... And Kelly had to do directly with one of them.

Sight, the first cycles seemed like fun fantasy and they didn't seem to torture the contestants so much. When watching it, I was thinking "hey, this seems like a fun thing to do". Meeting real celebs, going to cool events and places, amazing clothes and make up... But lately, I just feel sorry for the contestants... even if I don't like them. And I wonder why would somebody even want to participate in show which is likely going to ruin your hair for fun, humiliate and embarrass you, force give sexual energy with member of opposite sex you might not like, rattle on your insecurities, make you take bunch of over the top photos that you will not be able to put in your porfolio.

So yeah, about time for it to end.

• Love 2

I don't think Tyra was considered a supermodel (in her on mind she was) yes she was successful but she's no Gisele, saying this I wonder if Tyra has some sort of chip on her shoulder.

To give credit where credit's due, in the 90s she was a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue cover model, a Victoria's Secret Angel, and appeared in a George Michael video. She wasn't Naomi/Cindy/Linda kind of big, but she was very famous. I think she was a great model, and the trouble started only after the first ANTM season's success went to her head and she decided she should be "the next Oprah". 

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 8

To give credit where credit's due, in the 90s she was a Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue cover model, a Victoria's Secret Angel, and appeared in a George Michael video. She wasn't Naomi/Cindy/Linda kind of big, but she was very famous. I think she was a great model, and the trouble started only after the first ANTM season's success went to her head and she decided she should be "the next Oprah".

Great points.

• Love 1

I watch episodes of Next Top Model from Britain and Australia and they follow more the original concept. I'm done with the tooch , the smize, acting like an animal ect.. No one who has won this show has been America's Next Top Model - yes they get jobs but no one has busted out.  I much preferred the other modeling show the face. These models seemed sincere in helping out the new comers and weren't so cheesy.

• Love 1

You're right of course, but I always got the feeling that she landed the GM video because Naomi Campbell either wasn't available or wouldn't do it.  Although that video did feature a lot of models that I hadn't heard of.....and the Freedom video did have NC in a much more featured role (Tyra was at the end of Too Funky video for about 10 seconds).

I don't ever remember Tyra doing much of the editorial work she is constantly talking about, but she was IIRC the first black woman to get the cover of the SI swimsuit edition, right?

I'll still always love Naomi more though.

• Love 1
and appeared in a George Michael video

Which GM video was she in?  I remember the Freedom90 video and that had Naomi Campbell and other super models but I don't remember which video Tyra was in.  

Regardless, I find Tyra so affected and fake.  But this show is like sweet, candy crack.  It'll rot your teeth and put you in the hospital but I still want more.  

• Love 3

She was in the video for Too Funky.

I worked for Bazaar when the show began. Everyone there thought it was a joke. Eventually, Tyra made it onto the cover but only because her business ventures in general were going so well. When I worked at Teen Vogue and Nylon, no one mentioned her name EVER. Only in the last couple of weeks has Vogue paid any attention to her, and only because Leila Goldkuhl caught Riccardo Tisci's eye.

• Love 4

I thought Yu Tsai was asking them if he was a biologist but I guess he was just uptalking.

I'm guessing that everyone else on this show is too dumb to know the "show you the hand" gesture that Nyle must be giving them after every idiotic thing they say.

Two words: Flappy Bird

What's that?

Re Kelly, while IA that $2,500 is chicken feed where starting a serious business is concerned, I would have suggested that Kelly volunteer to do free publicity for the winner, but if it had been Nyle, then chances are what Kelly would have offered him wouldn't have helped him nor his business and he's suffered enough.

• Love 1

Kelly you are a schizophrenic, psychopathic, maladjusted social misfit who is clearly in the middle of a very deep alternative lifestyle panic, and you dress for *hit.

So, you're not a fan? But, making the deaf guy blind ? Tyra brought her sadist self to the table this episode. I read Modelland, Tyra has a dark side.

Edited by OnceSane
  • Love 7

So, you're not a fan? But, making the deaf guy blind ? Tyra brought her sadist self to the table this episode. I read Modelland, Tyra has a dark side.

I'm tainted I watched Kell on Earth and saw her on the Hills.

Edited by OnceSane
quoted post was edited

I actually felt bad for Devin. I haven't liked him from the beginning - too much drama - too much silliness - but in the past few weeks, I've seen a big change and even tho he'll never be used in campaigns where they need or want a different look (aka Shaun Ross) I did think he had some strong photos.

I agree!  I think he became more likeable as the number of models dwindled.  He tried too hard to stand out when there were a bunch of them.  And, God help me, I was CRACKING UP at him with his frangrance pitch.  Laughing with him, not at him. I hope he gets more work.  There were times when he was calmly standing still that I found him handsome in a very weird way.

• Love 3

I agree!  I think he became more likeable as the number of models dwindled.  He tried too hard to stand out when there were a bunch of them.  And, God help me, I was CRACKING UP at him with his frangrance pitch.  Laughing with him, not at him. I hope he gets more work.  There were times when he was calmly standing still that I found him handsome in a very weird way.

He just needs to take it down at least 5 notches......in life.  

I think he could get work if he devoted some energy to acting and took it seriously.  He clearly doesn't have a problem being in the spotlight, and his look is so unique that he could probably get a role as "outrageous gay friend/neighbor"  But that would require him to pursue acting seriously and not just show up and assume that because he can make faces he doesn't have to put in work.

I will say that one of my favorite shots was of him and the dog.  It had a very "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels/6 Degrees of Separation" feel to it.  It was hilarious in its attempt to be so high brow.

You're right of course, but I always got the feeling that she landed the GM video because Naomi Campbell either wasn't available or wouldn't do it.  Although that video did feature a lot of models that I hadn't heard of.....and the Freedom video did have NC in a much more featured role (Tyra was at the end of Too Funky video for about 10 seconds).

I don't ever remember Tyra doing much of the editorial work she is constantly talking about, but she was IIRC the first black woman to get the cover of the SI swimsuit edition, right?

I'll still always love Naomi more though.

Don't forget Naomi Campbell was in Michael Jackson's video "In the Closet". Who wouldn't want to be in a Michael Jackson video. Tyra was in Michael Jackson's video "Black or White" but very briefly as she was one of the changing faces. Naomi was more featured in MJ's video.

• Love 1

She did a pretty decent acting job in a not completely successful but still ahead of its time little movie about identity politics called Higher Learning.

Edited by Julia

Well, I saw this one episode where she pretended to faint and I was mesmerized by her performance.

I remember that one it was classic. The one where she went bat stuff crazy on the one model was either good acting or she completely lost the plot.

Edited by BrianJ62

Don't forget Naomi Campbell was in Michael Jackson's video "In the Closet". Who wouldn't want to be in a Michael Jackson video. Tyra was in Michael Jackson's video "Black or White" but very briefly as she was one of the changing faces. Naomi was more featured in MJ's video.

I guess to me....Naomi is an icon.  A true supermodel.  Tyra Banks is......a good businesswoman who was able to turn a good modelling career into a very successful show.  But in the book of models Tyra Banks always seems like more of an asterisk or a footnote to me.....NC will always be a chapter.

• Love 4

I guess to me....Naomi is an icon. A true supermodel. Tyra Banks is......a good businesswoman who was able to turn a good modelling career into a very successful show. But in the book of models Tyra Banks always seems like more of an asterisk or a footnote to me.....NC will always be a chapter.

For some reason I remember Tyra telling the contestants you want to be a noun and not a verb. Or something close to that.

Edited by BrianJ62
  • Love 1

As for the dark challange, it has been done and yes, models have to learn how to pose for any type of photo shoot.  Hence why even Nyles (?) have to adapt to such challenges because he cannot use his handicap as an excuse in the real world.

I saw Devin going home the moment he argued with the judges.  You just don't get to stay id you do that.  Not at all crazy about Lacey.  She sometimes appear very self entitled to me.  I like Mame for the win but I see Mikey taking it.  Nyles has a chance but I just don't see him winning.

I have seen a lot of Mikey on several catwalks including at NY Fashion Week as well as Mame.

• Love 1

I have two things to say about that episode:

1) Nyle was at a horrible disadvantage with that photoshoot.  I'm not normally one to complain about fairness on this show, but come on.  Yu Tsai should've come up with the knocking on the podium cue at the beginning.

2) Lacey had the only good photo out of the bunch.  Mikey's was static and he looked dead in the face, and Mame looked like a deer in the headlights.  Lacey's shot had movement and tension, and her face was insane in a good way.

• Love 2

As for the dark challange, it has been done and yes, models have to learn how to pose for any type of photo shoot.  Hence why even Nyles (?) have to adapt to such challenges because he cannot use his handicap as an excuse in the real world.

In the real world, though, an agency would never send Nyle on such a shoot. He'd likely never be placed in a position like that, because he wouldn't be the right model for the job. In this case, Tyra and Co. forced him into a scenario where it was almost impossible for him to succeed as part of the competition.

1) Nyle was at a horrible disadvantage with that photoshoot.  I'm not normally one to complain about fairness on this show, but come on.  Yu Tsai should've come up with the knocking on the podium cue at the beginning.

Exactly.

Devin was past his expiration date anyway, but I really hate that skeevy Mikey is peaking right now. Hopefully this is just a last flurry to make it look like Nyle and/or Lacey have some real competition from him and Mame.

• Love 4

IIRC Tyra had a small part in a few episodes of Felicity once upon a time too. She wasn't half bad.

I read somewhere recently that Nyle was actually recruited for this cycle. They didn't know he was deaf

when they contacted him, tho.

Back in the day, before ANTM and all the self pro-ty-motion, I considered Tyra Banks a "supermodel." She was very successful and if you look at some of her stuff from the 90s, girl was a knock-out.

No, never a Linda, Naomi or Christy, or even a Kate Moss, for sure, but still, pretty damn successful. Too bad she started to believe too much of her own press.

• Love 2

Back in the day, before ANTM and all the self pro-ty-motion, I considered Tyra Banks a "supermodel." She was very successful and if you look at some of her stuff from the 90s, girl was a knock-out.

No, never a Linda, Naomi or Christy, or even a Kate Moss, for sure, but still, pretty damn successful. Too bad she started to believe too much of her own press.

Is there a list of Ty'isms and ANTM'isms? If not we should start one.

• Love 2