Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E09: Halloween Week

• Start Topic

I know I should just give up the dream because she’s clearly not going anywhere but I’m really over Mandy’s mediocre, watered down choreography. These opening numbers may look awesome with the costumes and sets but the actual dancing is laughable at best. We have these exceptional Pros up there doing some lame twist and shout dancing. WTF…

Nick/Sharna (Argentine Tango) – Oh this was rough. Have to agree with the judges. It was just sort of awkward and sloppy to me. I agreed with Julianne that it lacked the sultry flicks and kicks that really make the Argentine Tango what it is. At times Nick actually looked hunched and frankly I wasn’t very in love with the choreography. I wonder if the lack of practice time hurt him.

Hayes/Emma (Waltz) – Hmm, I liked but didn’t love this. I thought his frame was definitely better and he did make an effort to really try and finish his lines and movement. However at times it almost felt like he tried too hard so his back was arched too far and his arms extended a bit too much. And while I agreed with Bruno that he did do some nice heel leads, he’s a little pigeon toed and so it made his feet a bit awkward at times. I guess it doesn't matter much now anyway. 

Alexa/Mark (Paso Doble) – I love how much Mark loves a costume. You can tell he was just in his element playing this character. As for the dance, Alexa did well. I thought she lost the frame a little bit a few times but she definitely seemed to get out of her head and channeled all her frustration about her scores and the performance into nailing the passion and performance of the dance. The dancing trees was pretty awesome too.

Tamar/Val (Foxtrot) – I liked it. I liked the concept and I thought Tamar’s frame was gorgeous. Honestly, I’ll probably have to re-watch because I didn’t really see all the issues the judges saw but they all seemed to agree so weird… And who thought it was a good idea to try and scare Lea while she was interviewing Tamar and Val? Tamar was talking and that happened and honestly, I think that annoyed Val, who was already annoyed by the judges’ comment. And I can’t blame him because that was a little rude. Oh and that “I’m the best dancer” comment, true or not, totally going to come back and bite her with the voters.

Andy/Alison (Paso Doble) – You know I’m sure Alison is being safe and would never endanger her baby but dude, it’s getting a little uncomfortable watching her, especially now that she is so clearly pregnant. She just goes for everything full on and I keep holding my breath thinking she’s going to hurt herself and the baby. That leg spin thing really freaked me out. So saying that, the times when I wasn’t too freaked out to enjoy the dance, I thought Andy did okay and I actually agree with and understand what all the judges were saying. Essentially he captured the mood and performance of the dance perfectly but technique wise, not so much.

Bindi/Derek (Argentine Tango) – First off, points for the troupe being kept to a very, very bare minimum. That was gorgeous. At times I felt like the body contact wasn’t as close as it should have been but really, really good. There were some really gorgeous shapes and lines in that dance. I have to say, watching the contrast between Terri, Bindi’s mom and Hayes’ mom amuses me. Hayes’ mom is very emotional with the yelling, cheering, tears and Terri’s just kind of calmly and quietly proud of Bindi.

Alek/Lindsay (Viennese Waltz) – Um, why is Artem looking like Mad Max? This was good but interesting Julianne referenced Week 1 because I feel like it wasn’t so surprising considering how well he did with his Foxtrot in Week 1. Alek is clearly pretty decent in hold and has a nice frame which I think is partly because he has such a strong upper body. And yes, there were some expressions tonight but I still saw a lot of stone-faced/constipated face. That said, slow down there buddy with that ego – “it was perfect so I don’t know what the judges were saying…” Um, really – perfect? I liked that Lindsay gave a barely restrained eyeroll at that comment.

Carlos/Witney (Paso Doble) – Boy Witney and Lindsay really made use of that smoke machine didn’t they…like WTF. I couldn’t even see the judges’ faces right after the dance. I didn’t love this. I don’t know, maybe it was the blinding smoke, the costumes but I just didn’t really care for it that much. I can’t really say there was anything specifically wrong with his technique but to quote Len and Maks a few weeks ago, it just wasn’t my cup of tea. I normally don’t watch Carlos’ packages but I did tonight and yeah I’m sure that little “I was overscored” will go down well. I’m sure he thought he was being humble but it just came across as obnoxious.

Team Nightmare – That was really good. But you know, what the hell, I’m just going to say it. Let’s see, they were synchronized in costumes and the movements and it looked amazing and what do you know, they won. Yeah the tactic Derek's used for years that always worked and I kept saying I didn't understand why the other teams kept not dressing the same and looking unison because they always ended up looking a mess. And something tells me I won't be hearing about how synchronicity and uniformity is so boring and predictable this time. 

Team Who You’re Gonna Call – This did not work for me at all. Honestly, I was already underwhelmed just from the song and the whole thing just never really came together for me. I have to say watching the two teams I do think Team Nick collectively had the stronger dancers. And none of those solos wowed me to be honest. Team Nightmare was by far better. Oh Julianne sweetie don’t say you didn’t see Bindi’s mistake even if you didn’t and then give the team a 10 for the team dance. Now I’ll have to hear ad nauseum about how Julianne clearly overscored her brother…oh fun.

Well Derek has finally lost a team dance, thank fucking god so maybe I can stop hearing about it. And once again, what do you know, all those social media followers and proves THEY DON’T VOTE…

• Love 5

Monster Mash opener - they've done better on this show but I guess this was a real stretch for Mandy.

Nick:
First, that singer was painful to listen to.  I never noticed before that Nick is sometimes pigeon-toed.  The dance was a bit dull and clunky. Not a hint of passion or even energy.  Sorry he had to take a private jet to some event this week.  Imagine if he had to fly commercial.  8s are generous.  I would have thrown in a 7 or two.

Hayes:
9s in week 4, 8s in week 6 - this is the problem of escalating the scores too quickly.  Pressure getting to him?  Now this time I actually liked the creepiness of that song performance.  Makeup on Hayes looked a little too  Abe Lincolnish.  His dancing still looks a bit awkward but you can see he's really working hard at it. Disagreed with the 9s. 8s would have been right.

Alexa:
How did Mark get through so many seasons without playing the Edward Scissorhands role? It suits him!  She really let the disappointment of last week get to her but she found the determination somehow.  Good job! LOVED the music. I didn't like the dancing trees. Unnecessary distraction.  Good scores finally!

Tamar:
Well, I guess if she thinks she's the best dancer, might as well let all the others know it.  It was like asking for the judges to tear her down.  Fine line between confidence and arrogance.  Val - button your shirt.  Out of sync at times but better connection with Val.  I think the scores were a bit of an attitude knock-down. Tamar didn't seem amused with Sasha taking up some of her Leah chat camera time.

Andy:
Seems like Allison is feeling the pressure of last week's 10s more than Andy is.  The paso is supposed to be the man's dance but Andy was more of an after-thought in that.  Allison's her usual balls to the walls.  Andy did a few calisthenics in the middle - that was weird.  Agreed with Bruno's 8. 9s too high since Allison didn't showcase Andy.

Bindi:
She sure performed the heck out of that. After the dance was a little disturbing with her champion walk and the roar/laughing thing. We knew the 10s were coming so not much to talk about.

Alek:
Good for Lindsey for bringing in Artem. A little disappointed. Alek just didn't look commanding in this dance.  I'll agree with just one 9 in the scores.

Carlos:
Unusual to hear someone admit they were overscored.  Waaay too much fog but I think that was the fog machine operator.  Odd beginning, almost like they didn't know where to start. Odd ending.  9s were ok. The 10 was too much.

Team Nick:
What was with that low voice singing?   Enjoyable dance. Oddly the only one I saw out of sync was Tamar.  Agreed that Hayes seemed like the MVP.  I guess Tamar couldn't just remove the hat that was falling off?

Team Bindi:
Witney didn't look too confident on that hoverboard.  Alek looked a little off balance whirling Lindsey overhead.  A little off sync. This is the problem with Derek's preference for a regimented team dances - when one is off, it really shows. 

Team Nick was more entertaining.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 1

Team Nightmare did really well...I love choreography that is in sync.  Awesome.  I also like Andy's dances...maybe because I like him more than I like Carlos, but I wasn't feeling Carlos' dance.  I wanted more stomping, less running?  I'm finding it hard to articulate tonight. 

Bye Hayes--I am still not a fan of stars that are younger than 21 so I won't miss him.  

• Love 3

Team Nightmare had the advantage based on song alone.

And if anyone actually thinks that Derek is upset about his team dance record, then I don't know what to tell you.  He's probably way more happy that he finally lost.

• Love 9

Team Nightmare – That was really good. But you know, what the hell, I’m just going to say it. Let’s see, they were synchronized in costumes and the movements and it looked amazing and what do you know, they won. Yeah the tactic Derek's used for years that always worked and I kept saying I didn't understand why the other teams kept not dressing the same and looking unison because they always ended up looking a mess. And something tells me I won't be hearing about how synchronicity and uniformity is so boring and predictable this time.

I think the difference between Team Nightmare and all Derek's previous team dances was, with the exception of the Call Me Maybe team dance, his dances are always predictable. It's always synchronicity in the beginning, each couple gets a whatever they want to do solo, more synchronicity, the end. It's very piecemeal, and in the beginning of the show that was okay because they had to fit their team dances into a ballroom style.

Now that it's a freestyle, that formula feels boring and honestly, uninspired. Team Nightmare broke that mold by creating more of a story dance and using everyone all the time. Nick and Sharna didn't run away while Val and Tamar were dancing. People were in the background doing things, adding to the story they were telling. That didn't happen in the Ghostbusters dance. (Plus, Bindi's wig was super distracting.)

And wow, Val was really taking a page out of Mark's playbook for the overselling the character of the team dance. Added with the floppy hair I forgot that I wasn't watching Mark.

Team Nightmare might be my favorite team dance since Team Spooky Bon Bon.

• Love 3

I think the producers had Sasha scare Leah during Tamar's speech because they were afraid of what she was going to say. There was a second there I thought she was going to blow the lid on the joint. That moment may still end up happening next week. I didn't really see any of the mistakes the judges saw.

I felt bad for Hayes. I think he's been probably screwed the most over the last few seasons without a results show. I think he probably could have survived this week's dances. He was pretty forgettable though. This is the first week that I remember what he's done by the end of the show.

I'm ready for Alek to be gone. He's sweet, but his dancing just isn't doing it for me anymore. I was really surprised the judges went so hard on the girls in the team dance when Alek was so much worse. It's like he remembered the general movement he was supposed to make, but not any of the shapes.

As for the fog machine, it looked like they probably left it running during the commercial break between Alek and Carlos, hoping it would create more of a cloud effect for Carlos. I'm sure that worked in rehearsal with an empty studio. However with the audience added it just made the smoke sit. There were parts in that dance I literally lost visual sight of Carlos.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 3

What tamar just said about the producers in her twitter just proves dwts manipulation has gone too far this season...everyone was complaining about nastia's treatment last season, how they deceived tamar was like 100x worse...pathetic

• Love 2

What tamar just said about the producers in her twitter just proves dwts manipulation has gone too far this season...everyone was complaining about nastia's treatment last season, how they deceived tamar was like 100x worse...pathetic

I don't think anything has changed in the producer manipulation department.  None of this is new IMO and celebs have said things about it for years...though usually after they are off the show and not at risk of losing votes.  Nor do I necessarily think Tamar's manipulation was better or worse than prior celebs.  Just Tamar is more willing to talk on it than other celebs, so she's not going to just let it go or wait until the show is over.  Whereas I think Nastia just tried to ignore it.  I'm not saying one is better or worse, but Tamar is probably going to be giving the producers an earful.

Also in a way I think Derek is probably happy his streak is finally over so people will shut up about it already.  It was going to happen eventually and it was never that serious.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

What did she say?  Hopefully something dumb enough to get her booted out.

• Love 4

I thought Alexa was the best!  And I'm not even a fan.

Alek has to go home.  He  was so out of sync in the team dance (which blew) and that attitude of his (also blew).  I haven't seen effort by him in the last few weeks.

Edited by dirtydi

I'm not saying one is better or worse, but Tamar is probably going to be giving the producers an earful.

Which ... probably won't accomplish anything, except maybe an early exit for Tamar.

Which ... probably won't accomplish anything, except maybe an early exit for Tamar.

Which is also why I think a lot of times celebs shut up about it until after the season is over.   When they do their exit interviews is when a lot of celebs finally let loose.  I don't begrudge Tamar for speaking up for herself at all, but the producers still control her edit until her time is done on the show.   

Edited by spanana

I don't think anything has changed in the producer manipulation department.  None of this is new IMO and celebs have said things about it for years...though usually after they are off the show and not at risk of losing votes.  Nor do I necessarily think Tamar's manipulation was better or worse than prior celebs.  Just Tamar is more willing to talk on it than other celebs, so she's not going to just let it go or wait until the show is over.  Whereas I think Nastia just tried to ignore it.  I'm not saying one is better or worse, but Tamar is probably going to be giving the producers an earful.

Yeah, anyone who didn't see the same thing happen to Nastia last season wasn't paying attention. Or willfully ignored it because she didn't happen to be their favorite. (Funny how that happens.) 

I find this show more enjoyable when you let go of any ideas that it's a real competition, and start to watch it as if you were a producer trying to put together story arcs. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 6

This show has become a piece of shit. I used to love watching good dancers get scored fairly. The judges did not explain themselves at all as to why Tamar got an 8. The music was great, the concept was great with a good use of troupe members, she had great dance position lovely rise and fall good timing . I preferred it to Rhythm Nation because it was fresh ballroom strict tempo. So full disclosure I watched on Rickey.org, I'd rather give a person ripping it off the web kuddos instead of these jack offs at ABC. Oh and I didn't see the group dances, but it was obvious from widdle Derek's blog that Team Nightmare was going to win. So flipping convenient to lowball Team Nightmare on the individual dances so the final scores are close. So Tamar has balls, awesome For once it would be nice if the show would grow a pair and just be fair to people who put themselves out there.. The entire bullshit of Tamar being too confident was the narrative from Shirley Ballas on Afterbuzz. "She is very very competitive." No shit Shirley, you'd know something about that.

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 6

Yeah, anyone who didn't see the same thing happen to Nastia last season wasn't paying attention. Or willfully ignored it because she didn't happen to be their favorite. (Funny how that happens.) 

I find this show more enjoyable when you let go of any ideas that it's a real competition, and start to watch it as if you were a producer trying to put together story arcs. 

Exactly.  People tend to only care about the manipulation when the person being manipulated is someone they like versus when the target is someone they don't like.  This is nothing new.

• Love 4

I find this show more enjoyable when you let go of any ideas that it's a real competition, and start to watch it as if you were a producer trying to put together story arcs.

I think Nastia ignored it and kept trying her best, especially in giving the producers less to be able to manipulate. She's had people judging and watching and deciding for themselves her whole life. She knew the game and was used to dealing with media spins.Tamar hasn't, at least not like Nastia. Tamar would be best served either taking a page from Nastia's book and stop playing into the producer's manipulations by giving them things to manipulate, or decide to play along with them and laugh at the edit they're trying to give her.

Lashing out - especially while she's still dancing - is going to give them more fuel. It's a celebrity dance competition. In the immortal, overused words of Frozen ... let it go.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 5

Nastia got great scores. Tamar has not been given scores that reflect her dancing. Now, go for it Tamar, you got nothing to lose, because they'd rather eat shit than give her the mirror ball, so expose this crap for what it is

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Thank god tonight actually had dance content again. I just wanna forget all about what happened last week, what a dumb theme. Here's some of my thoughts:

- Nick/Sharna (Argentine Tango): I feel like the song did it a disservice for 2 reasons: it’s been so overdone that it loses its appeal and that it’s suited more for a Paso, even with the rearrangement they made tonight. I think the theme overtook it a bit. It was a bit unmemorable for me and I would say it’s his weakest dance next to his Jive. I don’t think he’ll go home next week, but now I’m beginning to wonder if he’ll ever make the top 2. 

- Hayes/Emma (Waltz): I’m not entirely surprised he went home. I think as good as he came off in the competition, he’s just too unknown with middle of the road dance ability. It happened to Cody and many others who have large social media followings which goes to show the general public opinion means so much. This dance was alright, he did kind of lead with his chin, but he had an easy ride of doing A LOT of ballroom and only 2 Latin routines. 

- Alexa/Mark (Paso Doble): I was scared for her. Bottom of last week’s leaderboard, tied with Alek, and I was just not sure if she could hold weight against those guys, but she managed to stay over Hayes even being 2 points below. She obviously has some votes behind her. I’m glad she made a comeback, but she needs to be more consistent and hopefully next week she’ll come back even stronger and get some more 10’s. I loved this Paso; great theme and it still remained a recognizable Paso Doble. Loved that wig on her too. 

- Tamar/Val (Foxtrot): Girl, why did you make that comment. I see from Twitter that she’s pissed about the editing, saying that they told everyone to say that. I get how that comes across and maybe she’s right, and that’s how TPTB is choosing to show her. It’s a shame because she is a great dancer and deserves to stay, but with her only 1 point ahead of Alek and tied with Nick, she could be a shocking elimination next week. I liked how they made a Foxtrot work with a Halloween theme and I did love how improved her hold was. They just seemed a little disconnected with hand holds and that such. 

- Andy/Allison (Paso Doble): In my opinion, last week’s perfect score for a Jazz and every other dance not being up to par, shows Allison’s weakness in anything that isn’t Jazz/Contemporary. I appreciated the gusto he gave it, but it seemed like a little too over the top at times, and the content of the Paso was a bit lacking. It had recognizable moments, but it seemed a bit too Contemporary/Paso mixed for me.

- Bindi/Derek (Argentine Tango): Glad she got a perfect score for a proper dance this time around. See, this is the difference between Nick and Bindi’s Argentine Tangos. Derek still used the theme but made sure it was also a recognizable Argentine Tango too. Her legs were pure fire in this. I wasn’t keen on the hair they gave her, but man she pulled it off. 

- Alek/Lindsay (Viennese Waltz): Was it just me or did the tempo of this song and the overall look of it feel like a Tango? Cause to me it felt and looked very Tango-ish not like a Viennese Waltz. Could just be for the song maybe. Alek still isn’t my favorite because I don’t feel much from him no matter what face he puts on. Also, Lindsay coming into the dance on that EVO was awesome, looked super creepy. 

- Carlos/Witney (Paso Doble): It was a good dance for him, but I think the high scores came from the music and overall drama of it. Take the song out and remove some of the theatrics and it was a good Paso, but I’m not sure it was 28 worthy.

I don't know why they needed three in jeopardy for. Maybe it was originally 2 but suddenly put in Tamar for dramatic effect. Glad Alexa stayed, I'd rather see her back then a couple others. Not surprised as to Hayes leaving, I knew his general unknown-ness would come back to bite him eventually. Still funny to me that Bill Engvall was Emma's longest lasting partner.

• Love 2

, Nastia was very good and was given appropriate high scores. She was the leader for much of the competition. Tamar is getting low balled

The Nastia manipulation had nothing to do with scores.  It had to do with editing Nastia in a bad light and then showing her bad moments repeatedly airing the bad clip over and over again so the viewers wouldn't forget.  

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

What happened tonight? I don't understand Tamar's scores, or Carlos's scores, or Bindi's scores. What is Alek talking about?  I'm so confused.

Tamar danced that very well. I watched it twice and I didn't see the "many errors" the judges were talking about. There was one moment that looked a little off to me, but the way the judges were talking I was sure she was going home and they were trying to justify it. Val looked pissed. Tamar looked pissed. And I can't blame either one. I'm not saying it was perfect, but that was some lowball bs. I think some of the complaints here and on social media have been overblown in past weeks, but this is clearly about getting her out next week. 

Carlos danced I guess? I couldn't really see it so I'm not sure how the judges scored it. It felt high to me, especially compared to Alexa who I thought had the superior Paso. Being able to see is a pretty important part of TV so I'm now sure how the show gets that one wrong.

Bindi danced beautifully but the character was so off it was embarrassing. Its like when you're watching cringe worthy comedy and have to look away. All of her sneers were hilarious and I'm certain that wasn't the intent. High scores absolutely, but a perfect score? What?

Alek kinda ruined that nice guy thing he had going on and I wish Lindsay had been more straightforward calling him out on his mistakes last week. I was all about him at the start of the competition but I'm ready to see him go home now. He danced better this week, but its still not great.

Also I hated Alison's Paso. It turns out when she doesn't have an already trained dancer and a flawless pirate impression to hide behind, her Paso choreography is maybe her worst of all. That was devoid of Spanish lines, very repetitive and lacking any of the softer moments that only make the intense moments all the more shocking. Next season is going to be the best season ever.

The team dances. I'm pleased Derek finally lost one so we never have to hear about him being undefeated ever again. Nice that they didn't feel the need to let couples know they were in jeopardy before the dance this time too. Frankly, I liked both dances, but I agree that Nightmare was the stronger dance.

With Ghostbusters, the judges really did try their hardest not to call out Bindi for screwing up. Bindi/Witney/Lindsay all have similar hair but Alexa's looked totally different. It was very clear who messed up, but suddenly "who knows who that was" "you all look exactly alike." Whatever judges. I liked Ghostbusters, but there didn't feel like there was much dancing in it. The not hoverboard thing was silly. 

As for NIghtmare, maybe it was the table, the chair and some of the dancing around the table but I instantly thought of this. I wonder who got the idea to rip of Mia Michaels? 

• Love 4

The Nastia manipulation had nothing to do with scores.  It had to do with editing Nastia in a bad light and then showing her bad moments repeatedly airing the bad clip over and over again so the viewers wouldn't forget.  

I always got the feeling they were going for a redemption arc for Nastia to culminate right before the finale and give her a good shot at the win, but it backfired. I could be wrong obviously but that's the sense I got.

Also 'dance content' isn't actually limited to ballroom dance... maybe I misunderstood that comment idk.

Edited by ocelot
  • Love 3

Lot of surprises for me tonight. I expected to love Nick and Sharna's AT, but as I was watching I thought, this doesn't look very tango-like. I don't think Sharna's choreography was all that great, and to me the dance felt a little meh.

I haven't been a big fan of Hayes all season, but his elimination made me a little sad, I think because he and my son are the same age.

This was the first week i didn't like Alek, in the rehearsal package in particular. He came off as pissy and petulant, and I'm beginning to think it's time for him to go. And he's been a favorite of mine since week 1. I did love Lindsay's eye roll, though.

Loved Tamar and Val's foxtrot and Alexa and Mark's paso. I would love to see Alexa come from behind and give everyone a run for their money. Which also surprises me.

I wasn't crazy about either team dance, but I did think the Nightmare one was the more interesting and dynamic.

• Love 1
As for NIghtmare, maybe it was the table, the chair and some of the dancing around the table but I instantly thought of this. I wonder who got the idea to rip of Mia Michaels?

Seriously!  Alice in Mia-Land!  I was just getting ready to post this. 

SYTYCD Season 7.  And Allison danced that number on tour that year. 

edited.  Nevermind, this is the main thread.

Edited by Thadeeeyus

I don't know why they needed three in jeopardy for. Maybe it was originally 2 but suddenly put in Tamar for dramatic effect. Glad Alexa stayed, I'd rather see her back then a couple others. Not surprised as to Hayes leaving, I knew his general unknown-ness would come back to bite him eventually. Still funny to me that Bill Engvall was Emma's longest lasting partner.

I may be wrong, but if they are using a true bottom two (or three) this was the first week where someone would be back to back in the bottom two (Alexa).  I could see where TPTB don't want to give the impression that she's an almost perennial loser, especially if they are trying to push for a married couple semi-finals elimination.  It was convenient that Tamar was in the bottom three to add fuel to whatever pot they are stirring with her.

Nastia had her producer manipulation to keep her from running away with the season.  I think TPTB wanted to try to keep her from being a Meryl & Alfonso, where it was obvious from the minute their pens lifted from signing the contract that they were going to take home the mirror ball trophy.  The only problem was that Nastia didn't really play into their manipulation so all of her packages were brooding loner instead of spitfire Russian.  Also TPTB underestimated the tricks that Noah had up his sleeve to get into the finals.

I think Tamar is actually throwing a wrench in the showrunner's plans.  Every single one of us, right before the full cast was released, knew that Bindi and Nick were the predetermined Final 2.  Alexa and Carlos were going to be a married couple death match for the 3rd spot.  That meant the absolute best that anyone else could do is 5th place.  Tamar upsets that storyline with her audience and her dancing.  So they have to make her look as bad as possible to justify getting at least 5th place or lower.  It doesn't hurt that Tamar is feeding the beast, either because she knows the game is being played and she's going to come out of it a media darling or she's naive and doesn't realize what's happening.

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 4

That's funny, because Nastia's one unflattering clip is now held up as the most awful, ultimate case of producer manipulation on the show when other celebrities have had it much worse, including Alexa and Tamar, IMO. I suppose it's a bit different for Nastia because that was the first time the producers really came for one of Derek's partners (Shannon Elizabeth brought her meltdown on herself). As others have pointed out, she consistently earned high scores, and while judges (mostly CAI) have used the "lack of chemistry" critique to undermine many partners, I don't think that was the intention with Nastia. I think the judges genuinely wanted Nastia and Derek to blow them away and for a variety of reasons, they didn't. Nastia was a good dancer but a fairly mechanical performer for 90% of the time and sometimes that makes all the differences, especially in a season with Riker and Rumer as competition.

And Derek expressed some nice hypocrisy, IIRC going off on his blog about producer manipulation against Nastia when the other pros have had to deal with that shit for years. If anything I wonder if Derek was so pissed about how he and Nastia fizzled out that he made sure he got the most popular, bubbly, TV-friendly celebrity this season.

This year the manipulation is much more aggravating because the judges are continually low-balling Tamar and Alexa, both of whom IMO are better dancers than Bindi, AND the producers are not showing either woman in a flattering light, while Bindi might as well be Shirley Temple the way everyone gushes and coos over her.

I never thought Hayes would make it any farther than Bethany Mota but I thought he'd at least outlast one of the PenaVegas

I think Sharna and Nick are a good team but watching that routine I had the thought that maybe Karina might be able to drag some sharpness and better technique out of him, or maybe Cheryl could too if she was still on the show.

• Love 3

Nightmare's dance anything but. My fav, possibly ever.

Enjoy Nick's dancing, but Sharna's choreo disappoints much lately. What happened to that of her first season?????

So-called producer manips ever boot a nice, smiley, beloved competitor?

Felt for the kid--and I never thought I'd say that!

Believe Andy's buckling down a bit!

When is the finale?

I think Nastia ignored it and kept trying her best, especially in giving the producers less to be able to manipulate.

Yeah and when she got frustrated in one rehearsal and refused to give them the soundbite they wanted, they made sure to use that to still make her seem like a difficult and cold bitch...right before the Finals at that. 

• Love 1

I actually enjoyed the Ghostbusters dance a bit more, but I will totally cop to the fact that I'm biased because I really hate Nightmare Before Christmas (I hate that movie so much you guys, and find that song so dull. I realize I'm in the minority.) Nightmare was probably objectively better. I laughed at Alek calling them the short team. 

Bindi's dance tonight was definitely my favorite, loved loved the intro with the arms in the wall. Tamar's I probably enjoyed second best except too much smoke! (Too much smoke across the board, props department.) Everyone else kind of blended together for me as "good but not particularly memorable." Mark made a great Edward Scissorhands. I wanted to punch Carlos slightly less this week. Nick seems like he might be no fun. 

That's funny, because Nastia's one unflattering clip is now held up as the most awful, ultimate case of producer manipulation on the show when other celebrities have had it much worse,

Never said it was the worst, only that it's been the most recent. Alexa's had a rough go of it this season as well with odd edits, I agree. I'm not into "who had it worst" games, only meant to say that it happens, it's not surprising, and I'm bored of being shocked about it when it does. 

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Tamar said, it was weird when they shoehorned that random clip in there out of nowhere, I knew it was going to go over weirdly with certain fans. The only reason you'd shove that in there is if you're trying to provoke something. That's where the Nastia comparison is the first thing that comes to mind, because that clip of her snapping at a producer was shoehorned in in the exact same way. 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1

So Tamar is claiming on Twitter that the producers told everyone to say that they're the best dancer in the competition, and now she's pissed that she said it and they aired it. I'm not at all doubting that producers manipulate this show left and right, but I'm just asking - is it possible she's not telling the truth? Or is it maybe true that they did indeed ask everyone to say it, but none of them did except Tamar? Sorry, but I can't see Alek, Andy, Hayes or even Nick or Bindi boasting like that. Calling themselves a contender, sure. But the best? Just asking...

• Love 6

So Tamar is claiming on Twitter that the producers told everyone to say that they're the best dancer in the competition, and now she's pissed that she said it and they aired it. I'm not at all doubting that producers manipulate this show left and right, but I'm just asking - is it possible she's not telling the truth? Or is it maybe true that they did indeed ask everyone to say it, but none of them did except Tamar? Sorry, but I can't see Alek, Andy, Hayes or even Nick or Bindi boasting like that. Calling themselves a contender, sure. But the best? Just asking...

If you noticed the outfit, position, and background were the same in the best dancer clip as a small clip she did in the group dance rehearsal footage, which makes me think she was sitting off to the side being interviewed while the pros worked on choreography. I could definitely see the producers asking her to say she was the best dancer as part of the team trash talking segment or as a "give me an opinion of everyone's strengths on the team including your opinion of yourself."

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 3

Did I spy Tia or Tamera Mowry in the audience after Alexa's dance? The Mowry twins push my nostalgia buttons more than Nick or Bindi, and I'd love to see one of them on the show but please dear God not both twins on the same season. They have a long history with Disney but I'm already cringing at the forced rivalry gimmick the show would shove down our throats.

Sometimes Mark commits too much to a theme but I really enjoyed Alexa tonight. Despite the scissorhands my eye was drawn to Alexa most of the routine.

• Love 1

Well. Hayes did the worst thing possible: He danced ok, but not super memorable. He got ok critiques and scores and even though he has 20 billion social media followers, they're of the super young, super unreliable kind.  Against him were hero Alek who most likely has the conservative vote and Alexa, who got super harsh scores and super harsh comments and then was in jeopardy and bawled her eyes out (I'm not saying that was calculated, she had a horrible night and at the end just cracked under the pressure). So Mark's fanbase and the bit of fanbase she has rallied for her and perhaps some of the general audience also thought she was scored harshly and voted for her. While Hayes was nice, but forgettable. Worst place to be on this show.

And I gotta say, such BS! Look, I get that now that Alexa and Mark have pulled through and have proven that they have some sort of voting pull they'll get the "redemption story" or whatever, but it's tiresome. Now that last week's great producer-orchestrated crisis has brought Mark and Alexa closer together, what will their next soap opera adventure be? Will Carlos get jealous?  Will there be some edited-together "tension" or angst again? I mean, I guess being one of the designated "drama couples" (along with Tamar and Val, isn't it curious that all female celebs not named Bindi are being portrayed in this ambivalent light? This show is such a sexist crapfest.) gives them a narrative and keeps them around. But it's obvious how frustrated they are with it, how they don't want to go along with it, but don't quite know how to get out of production's clutches here. And I DO think that in a macabre way they are closer now and have bonded over the way the show is treating them, but at what price? You see how tense and anxious they both are all the time. They were happy with their dance and with their great performance and finally got a somewhat appropriate score for it, but it must be so stressful fearing what nonsense they'll pull on you next.

• Love 2

I think it's not at all odd to request everyone to say,"I'm the best". and if this board is correct, TPTB are totally petty and messy enough to only use one person's clip.

Did I spy Tia or Tamera Mowry in the audience after Alexa's dance? The Mowry twins push my nostalgia buttons more than Nick or Bindi, and I'd love to see one of them on the show but please dear God not both twins on the same season. They have a long history with Disney but I'm already cringing at the forced rivalry gimmick the show would shove down our throats.

Sometimes Mark commits too much to a theme but I really enjoyed Alexa tonight. Despite the scissorhands my eye was drawn to Alexa most of the routine.

Odds are it was Tamera. She cohosts a daytime TV show with Tamar and 3 other women.

If you noticed the outfit, position, and background were the same in the best dancer clip as a small clip she did in the group dance rehearsal footage, which makes me think she was sitting off to the side being interviewed while the pros worked on choreography. I could definitely see the producers asking her to say she was the best dancer as part of the team trash talking segment or as a "give me an opinion of everyone's strengths on the team including your opinion of yourself."

Oh, so maybe she was just referring to the dancers on her team -- Andy, Hayes and Nick. I can see that. Good point.

• Love 1

Did I hear Tom correctly after Team Who Ya Gonna Call's scores were read, that he said something along the line of "Make sure you vote for them so one of them doesn't go home next week."? 

Leah is such a great sport!  Her reaction to Sasha scaring her was so incredibly funny, and she took the good-natured ribbing afterward so well.  Ok, I don't mind Erin Andrews, but I could get used to Leah continuing in this role. 

• Love 4

Bindi danced beautifully but the character was so off it was embarrassing. Its like when you're watching cringe worthy comedy and have to look away. All of her sneers were hilarious and I'm certain that wasn't the intent. High scores absolutely, but a perfect score? What?

I just watched that dance on ytube and laughed my ass off. Seriously this girl is so spongy she's like a childish version of Bethany Mota, about the same dance ability, but this was just totally knob. A 10?  Lord, this is some bullshit.   Where was the smolder? The intensity? In those awful teeth how pathetic.   Did this have to be so PG it lost Argentine Tango?   

Hopefully this will be the last theme weeks we have for awhile. I'm ready for just regular dances.

-The highlight of the night was the team dances and Team Nightmare killed it. 

-I noticed that Alek  (more than Bindi or Alexa) was more out of sync in the team dance. His mistakes stood out to me. So I didn't understand why he got complimented on his contributions to the team.

-I re-watched Tamar's dance....did not see all the mistakes they were talking about. It was weird...like if all the judges agree they can convince the viewer that it's true. It was one of the better dances of the night so I'm not buying what they are selling.

-Nick was so good last week with the samba...I think the travel hurt his prep time. He just needs the time to hone the dance each week.

-Oh and Julianne was annoying to give a 10 to Team WYGTC when it didn't seem deserved since they were not as tight (on more than 1 occasion). 

Too many back to back themes...I really want just regular dances next week.  I hope.

-

• Love 3

She tweeted that she was told that everyone was saying it and that it was going to be a fun banter type of thing.  I definitely believe she was told that.  Whether or not production told her the truth is another story. 

Alexa and Tamar had my favorite dances of the night and yeah, they were underscored. 

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 2
-I noticed that Alek  (more than Bindi or Alexa) was more out of sync in the team dance. His mistakes stood out to me. So I didn't understand why he got complimented on his contributions to the team.

-I re-watched Tamar's dance....did not see all the mistakes they were talking about. It was weird...like if all the judges agree they can convince the viewer that it's true. It was one of the better dances of the night so I'm not buying what they are selling.

-Oh and Julianne was annoying to give a 10 to Team WYGTC when it didn't seem deserved since they were not as tight (on more than 1 occasion). 

. The judges didn't call out Alak or Bindi because apparently for the chosen few this season the get points for personality rather than skill. And not even personality in Alak's case as he's become increasingly dour. Alak is our American Hero and Bindi is our adopted American Sweetheart. It's very irritating, especially as Tamar and Alexa continue to get lowballed.

I don't care if she's technically qualified to be a judge, Julianne has no place sitting at that table. Her bias is obvious and ridiculous and the show pretends like there's no issue because she occasionally offers constructive criticism.

• Love 2

Alek talking about how awesome his Elvis dance was reminds me of a college student thinking his paper deserved an A when it was B work.  To him, he did his best and tried hard even though there were obvious shortcomings. I still like him and was glad we saw Lindsay's silent, disapproving perspective on that dance. Loved seeing Artem, hope he continues to be Alek's mentor. I don't know if Alek will make it to trio dances, but I'm looking forward to a potential Artem, Alek, and Lindsay trio. I do think this week's dance was better. Too much smoke though. I want him to stay longer, but wouldn't be surprised if he or Andy went next week. 

Hayes was never on my radar this season so I wanted him or Carlos to go this week. I didn't "get" him as a star, though I think he is a nice enough kid. I do think he did well on the team dance - he did those lifts well! Last week, I thought his dance was lackluster and part of that was because he is so young. His fans are losing their collective shit on twitter. I had been wondering how he was doing votewise since there wasn't much Hayes-talk on here, but figured we weren't his target audience and he had the votes to continue. 

I wish Sasha hadn't scared Leah, I wanted to hear the rest of what Tamar had to say. I don't think she was going to go too far off the deep end and thought she had a point about being confident in one's dancing.  I do think that the producers are on the road to getting what they want from Tamar. They want her to blow up on air or give a combative talking head. I hope she doesn't play into their hands. I thought her dance was good this week, I wasn't looking at her going into the hold transition though. I understand the judges looking at all aspects of the contestants' dances, but think they need to do that to all of them if they're going to focus on hand positioning with one's partner.    

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 1

That Evanescence song did not do Nick and Sharna any favors. It just didn't seem to work with the dance at all.

I loved Team Nightmare. I loved the flaily arm and leg gestures, the spooky spider-like Sharna, the striped costumes, and the wonderfully strange feel of it all, synced terrifically with the Halloween song. Just a great job all around. They deserved the win. 

• Love 4

I just watched that dance on ytube and laughed my ass off. Seriously this girl is so spongy she's like a childish version of Bethany Mota, about the same dance ability, but this was just totally knob. A 10?  Lord, this is some bullshit.   Where was the smolder? The intensity? In those awful teeth how pathetic.   Did this have to be so PG it lost Argentine Tango?

They are really overscoring this girl.  Bindi's adorable and a pretty good dancer but that was an average Argentine tango at best, even though it's miles better than last week's dance which was a real mess (I thought Derek was going to pass out when he lifted her at the end).

It's hilarious how the judges justify low-balling the other dancers (especially Tamar) - oh, your foot was off a millimeter or your hand went this way instead of that way. Come on!  

• Love 5

Team Nightmare was so good! I'm very impressed. Team who you gonna call didn't even feel cohesive. Which is strange because even if I don't like Derek's team dances in the past- I believe he has at least in the past couple seasons been the leader and lead choreographer- he always tries to make his dances cohesive and it felt.. all over the place. But team nightmare was so good! And creepy! I'm so happy they won.

Bindi's dance was... okay. I'm not quite sure how it got all 10s. It just kind of was.

I really liked Alexa and Tamer was excellent. I have no idea what the judges are talking about.

Alek started out really good but now he is just kind of there. I don't not like him but he's not giving me anything anymore, I don't dislike him like I did our American Hero of last season who could not dance at all but he's kind of boring me now.

Andy is fine as well. 

I think Nick is having trouble now because he all in his head right now and letting comments seep into his head and it's confusing him, I feel like he has been off his game since the switch up week. I think that really messed with his confidence and now he second guesses a lot of things.

I don't like Carolos. I personally don't think he is that good and his attitude kind of bugs me.

• Love 1

I keep thinking about Tamar and Val's performance, and Tamar's performance in the team dance tonight, and just trying to figure out why I still don't fully connect with her. It's not her overconfidence (while it's hard for me to do myself, I appreciate that she's secure in herself and not afraid to say, you know what, I know this isn't exactly cool, but I do think I'm the best dancer remaining). 

However...

I finally think I figured out why she doesn't resonate with me personally. I don't think she's a good actor-performer. 

She's a terrific dancer. She's got all the moves down, she kicks butt on that. I don't dispute it one bit. But when it comes to performance, I think she just can't seem to full-out let go and just have fun and be silly or super dramatic or super strange. She can't seem to let down her hair and let go of that part of her that seems to feel like she needs to present herself as this badass attitude woman who won't be vulnerable in front of you, damn it.

I saw it tonight in her dance with Val - she had great dance moves but her face wouldn't go there with the strangeness of the song and the sultry creepy almost-threesome/foursome bit with Val and the other dancers. Her face was a bit immovable, and she didn't seem to be able to be crazy-strange enough. Val had it in spades, from the eye make-up to the way he attacked the moves with his body and his face, but Tamar just... didn't go there. It was like she was trying to be "proper" or something and it just didn't suit the wonderful strangeness of their dance. So for me, yeah, that lacked some connection, and that may be what the judges felt.

And it carried through to her dance with the team. Everyone else went to a wacky, crazy, silly place, where they were loose and bendy and just full out bizarre, which was what the dance and the tone of the music seemed to call for. But Tamar -- while having all the right moves -- was reserved and well-postured and just didn't let her face and her overall attitude go to the silly zany places that everyone else did. I don't know if that's something she feels not comfortable with, or maybe she thinks she's going there and feels it inside but it's not carrying through on her actual face?

It may be a little like Alek tonight in his package where he was so certain that he was awesome in his Elvis dance until Artem sat down with him and said, "Did you really think you did it all perfectly?" And they watched Alek on the video screen so he could see where he wasn't hitting it or getting the right tone in his moves or his face.

With Tamar, she gets the moves, no problem, but I think she doesn't throw her entire being into the performance of it. It's like there's this tiny wall that she's unable to let down in order for us to see her be something other than the super-strong, confident woman that she is. Some dances require more than that. They need her to be vulnerable or silly or soft. When I watched her in the team dance, she was the only one I felt who didn't fully tap into that strange wonderful wackiness that is Nightmare Before Christmas. Especially on her solo section with Val. She had all the moves, she didn't get out of sync like some of the dancers on the Ghostbusters team, but I felt like everyone else on the Nightmare team got wacky and she didn't get there. Her face didn't get there. 

And that does detract, especially in her dances with Val. It does affect the overall reaction to the performance. Mine, at least. I want Tamar to find a way to let go. Then I think she could be unstoppable.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 11

I still am baffled how Alexa didn't get one compliment from a judge on that trick at the end of the team dance. That was pulled off great and I don't think i've seen a celeb pull off a trick like that in a team dance since Snooki's cheerleader throw in her team dance.

I thought for sure Alexa was a goner but either Hayes votes have been bottom-ish the whole time or she had the votes to pass him. She's only 2 points off the bottom this week, but everyone is within I think 4 points of each other that I feel even people like Carlos or Andy aren't safe on scores alone. I think Andy might have squeaked by this week because of his 40 and the 10 point gap in scores, but now he's only like 3 points off the bottom and I could easily see him going.

I think Alek, Carlos, or Andy could be next. I hope if there is some kind of immunity next week like there has been a few seasons now, someone like Alexa gets it. It bothered me when Kellie, Amber, or Nastia got it because at that week, you knew they weren't going home, especially last season. If only Willow got like 2 more points from the judges, she would've won immunity and not gotten kicked off. People like Alexa is what the immunity is made for, not people like say Bindi or Nick.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 2

I really respect that Nick (and Carlos) spoke out about preferential treatment and how he doesn't want it. When will Bindi?

How perfect is Mark as Edward Scissorhands? He doesn't even need the costume. Alexa danced well again. I hope she stops being so submissive off the dance floor.

Yes, Tamar, give yourself the props no one else on the show is supposed to! Too bad being "the best dancer in the competition" means nothing compared to being the best representative of the DwtS brand. It's also threatening and improper for a woman to be that confident. She'd be so much more palatable playing meek like Alexa or saccharine like Bindi. And Sasha? It's not a coincidence you were sent in to interrupt during her one time to defend herself for something she's undoubtedly going to get ripped apart for. I really am disgusted with how they judge others on Easy Mode but she has to compete on Hard.

I love Alek's impressions. They're much better than his dances. His sullen, entitled attitude was off script with their plans for him so they brought in Artem to redeem him. It's nice to have the producers in your corner and it's also why Julianne talks him up (and Bindi, of course) to People.

I didn't care much for either team dance this year but Derek's was surprisingly lackluster. I'm SHOCKED to hear Julianne is blind to Bindi's mistakes! Might have something to do with her DNA, but I'm just guessing.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 5