Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E09: Halloween Week

• Start Topic

The issue with the social media fanbases is the fans start feeling ignored (we made you famous) and don't vote as much. Then they trend stuff on twitter because their fav gets eliminated. They are good for early social media promotional though so I think we will continue to see them in the cast. And Hayes was never the real famous one of his crew. He probably will benefited from the show.

Hayes didn't really help himself in that regard though. Telling your followers to trend to vote for you instead of telling them to actually, you know, vote for you isn't too bright.

• Love 2

Alek talking about how awesome his Elvis dance was reminds me of a college student thinking his paper deserved an A when it was B work.

I thought the exact same thing. And this wasn't even the first time he did it. I'm finding him very arrogant in these last few episodes. And suggesting to his partner that she choreograph the two of them giving the judges the finger was a disgrace.

• Love 1

The hype about Master class Bindi is ridiculous. That digusting freak face of an Argentine Tango wasn't even Derek's ten best AT's let alone an all time Argentine Tango

on DWTS.  It's pretty sad how Argentine Tango used to be a favorite dance.

• Love 1

Why did Tamar need a tiny top hat? No one else on Nightmare had a tiny top hat.

Val was dipping her pretty agressively; the thing almost flew off her head and injured spectators.

• Love 1

Why did Tamar need a tiny top hat? No one else on Nightmare had a tiny top hat.

I think it fit the quirkiness of the Nightmare routine's visual, but that thing needed to be secured much much better because poor Tamar kept having to adjust it and push it back up onto her head during the dance.

• Love 1

The hype about Master class Bindi is ridiculous. That digusting freak face of an Argentine Tango wasn't even Derek's ten best AT's let alone an all time Argentine Tango

on DWTS.  It's pretty sad how Argentine Tango used to be a favorite dance.

Ah, gone are the days of the beautiful AT. Remember the one Gilles and Cheryl did? Or the ones Maks did? Those were awesome.

• Love 4

I always dvr the show and ff through the judges and Erin (or Leah) and some of the pre-dance packages, but last night I found myself ffing through every routine as well.  Except for the "This is Halloween" team dance which managed to hold me to the end, the only other dance that came close was Derek and Bindi and that's because her freak face was so hilarious that I couldn't stop watching.  NO OTHER dance held me.  Carlos and Witney were dreadful to "O Fortuna" as I anticipated. Alek's new attitude is damned unfortunate although bear in mind that the edit monkeys have to show us something with narrative.

• Love 4

So Tamar is claiming on Twitter that the producers told everyone to say that they're the best dancer in the competition, and now she's pissed that she said it and they aired it. I'm not at all doubting that producers manipulate this show left and right, but I'm just asking - is it possible she's not telling the truth? Or is it maybe true that they did indeed ask everyone to say it, but none of them did except Tamar? Sorry, but I can't see Alek, Andy, Hayes or even Nick or Bindi boasting like that. Calling themselves a contender, sure. But the best? Just asking...

She said the producers told her everyone would be saying they were the best and that it would be edited as a fun banter-type segment. And these competition shows do that kind of segment all the time, usually in the semi-finals once the finalists have been determined. (We will win the Amazing Race! No, *I'm* the Sole Survivor! No, *I'm* the Biggest Loser!) They all engage in a little lighthearted trash talking and self promotion, and it's portrayed as good, competitive fun. So I can buy that a producer told her they were making that kind of segment and she played along. But I have know idea whether it's true or not.

We have seen the packages where every person says they're the best or they're going to win and it's always obvious that it was prompted by a producer because they always say it in a cheesy, "I'm the best dancer!" "No, I'M the best dancer!" way. So while that sometimes happens, I don't think it's what happened with Tamar, for a lot of reasons. First, just the way she said it; she was dead serious. Second, when Leah was interviewing her about it, that would have been the time to put on some mock outrage (or real outrage disguised as mock outrage) and say they told everyone to say it as part of a sketch and that they only showed hers. You know Leah would have been all over that, dramatically calling shenanigans, and ending with the three of them making faux menacing looks directly into the camera. But instead, both Tamar and Val defended the statement; Val said that probably a lot of contestants believe that they're the best and that it's a good thing, and Tamar said something like, if you don't believe you're the best, you can't be the best. They spun it as a confidence-building thing. And the last reason is that she deleted the tweet claiming producer manipulation but left the one that says, "The BIBLE says speak things as though it is so! And so I SHALL! Who kicks one who WANTS to believe in themselves?..." Which kind of sounds like she's admitting that her statement that she was the best was sincere; she said it because she wants to believe in herself. And there's nothing wrong with that, but if you end up looking a little conceited as a result, then maybe own it instead of claiming you were set up? Eh, whatever. Tamar's a good dancer, but not a good performer, so whether she loses on her own steam or loses because The Alleged Evil Fix Is In, I'm okay with that.

Alek, also kind of douchey. This is why it's bad to learn too much about our heroes because they're just people and people can be disappointing.

Did Alison think she won some kind of award? Andy went right to the judge's table to get their comments, but she was out there waving to the audience and taking bows. Also her comment about how Andy was "there for her" all week. She really doesn't get that it's supposed to be about the celebrity and not the pro.

I don't love Leah as a host, but I like her so much better than Erin. Where did Erin go and, more important, can she stay there? Meanwhile, I continue to love Tom and things like him telling the people running the smoke machine that they were "this close to being a radio show" is why.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2

If DWTS competitors can't be decent human beings during the few minutes the cameras are on them, I feel sorry for them! What sad, sad people they must be! There haven't been many of that ilk on the show, but those that have been have usually been sent packing before their time. Because most of the audience can't help identifying with the Toms of the world, thank god.  So go Bindi, Alexa, Nick, Andy, and props to Hayes, who always had fun! And, hopefully, Alek learned something this week, also.

Edited by just prin
  • Love 2

Hayes' elimination reinforced why I don't like having children on the show. While he did better at keeping it together than poor Willow did on her season, he was still heartbroken. What does that have to do to the self-esteem of someone that age? You're a good dancer but America didn't like you enough. I watch this show for the cheesy fun, not to watch children get their souls crushed. It really takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Really? I think Hayes is about as lucky as he can be! He got to appear on a show called "Dancing with the Stars" not by being a Grammy winning singer, or training for years to become an Olympic gold medalist, but by posting home-made videos on the internet. While he seemed to be a very nice boy, and gave some good performances, he was one of the least deserving contestants to ever appear on the show. He got his place on the show not through any particular effort or talent, yet he got to appear several times on TV, and earn a salary for doing something very fun.

Again, I find him quite likeable, and I hope he enjoyed his time on the show. But despite being no different than millions of other kids his age he was handed a dream opportunity. I can't see him as anything but incredibly fortunate.

• Love 8

We have seen the packages where every person says they're the best or they're going to win and it's always obvious that it was prompted by a producer because they always say it in a cheesy, "I'm the best dancer!" "No, I'M the best dancer!" way. So while that sometimes happens, I don't think it's what happened with Tamar, for a lot of reasons. First, just the way she said it; she was dead serious. Second, when Leah was interviewing her about it, that would have been the time to put on some mock outrage (or real outrage disguised as mock outrage) and say they told everyone to say it as part of a sketch and that they only showed hers. You know Leah would have been all over that, dramatically calling shenanigans, and ending with the three of them making faux menacing looks directly into the camera. But instead, both Tamar and Val defended the statement; Val said that probably a lot of contestants believe that they're the best and that it's a good thing, and Tamar said something like, if you don't believe you're the best, you can't be the best. They spun it as a confidence-building thing. And the last reason is that she deleted the tweet claiming producer manipulation but left the one that says, "The BIBLE says speak things as though it is so! And so I SHALL! Who kicks one who WANTS to believe in themselves?..." Which kind of sounds like she's admitting that her statement that she was the best was sincere; she said it because she wants to believe in herself. And there's nothing wrong with that, but if you end up looking a little conceited as a result, then maybe own it instead of claiming you were set up? Eh, whatever. Tamar's a good dancer, but not a good performer, so whether she loses on her own steam or loses because The Alleged Evil Fix Is In, I'm okay with that.

Alek, also kind of douchey. This is why it's bad to learn too much about our heroes because they're just people and people can be disappointing.

Did Alison think she won some kind of award? Andy went right to the judge's table to get their comments, but she was out there waving to the audience and taking bows. Also her comment about how Andy was "there for her" all week. She really doesn't get that it's supposed to be about the celebrity and not the pro.

I don't love Leah as a host, but I like her so much better than Erin. Where did Erin go and, more important, can she stay there? Meanwhile, I continue to love Tom and things like him telling the people running the smoke machine that they were "this close to being a radio show" is why.

Erin's working her original job with Fox Sports (I think that's the right network) right now. She's on the sideline (or whatever they call it) reporting team for The World Series (basically interviewing Major League baseball players, like she interviews the couples after the dances on DWTS).

Depending on how long the Series takes to play, Erin could be back on DWTS anywhere from Monday after Halloween night (WS G4 plays on Halloween night), if 1 team sweeps in 4, to the next show after November 1, 3 or 4 (dates for WS G5-7), if the Series isn't a sweep.

Whether the WS is a sweep, somewhere in between, or goes 7 games, Erin will be back on air with Tom by the next DWTS show after November 4th since that would be the night of G7 in this year's WS, & that part of her sports job would be done anyway. I think the next DWTS after November 4th has an air date of November 9th--& I don't think they'll be quite to the Finale by then. So Erin should be back on/before that date.

• Love 1

Erin's working her original job with Fox Sports (I think that's the right network) right now. She's on the sideline (or whatever they call it) reporting team for The World Series (basically interviewing Major League baseball players, like she interviews the couples after the dances on DWTS).

I'm having a horrible vision of her telling Ned Yost he's got a sexy body and asking him and Terry Collins if they want to kiss on the lips.

While Leah is an improvement over Erin, I have to wonder what work she has had done?  I have followed her career since her Saved By the Bell stint.  There is something odd about her lips now and she has way too much make-up on.    

But hey, she's not Erin, so that is a good thing!  :)

• Love 1

Ah, gone are the days of the beautiful AT. Remember the one Gilles and Cheryl did? Or the ones Maks did? Those were awesome.

No kidding.  My own top 10  I'd put the Gilles and Cheryl AT at the top.  Then I would put #2 Derek and Jennifer Grey, version 2 the encore,  #3 Derek and Nicole,   #4 Val and Meryl   #5 Val and Rumer's freestyle/AT  #6 Derek and Jennifer Grey version 1  performance, #7 Hines and Kym, #8 Val and Zendaya with Maks and Anna, #9 Maks and Tia Carrere (American Tango, but I agreed with Len, lots of Argentine "feel"   10. Peta and Tommy Chong..... For me it is all about the connection the electricity that was generated between the couples.  These ones for me are the most outstanding in that regard, with Gilles and Cheryl being the most incredible connection ever on stage. 

• Love 5

You forgot Evan and Anna's James Bond tango and Melissa Rycroft and Tony's (both of them), Shawn and Mark's, Shawn and Derek's Argentine Tango, Derek and that blond girl he won with I don't remember her name, Chelsie Kane and Mark - I don't know how many times I've watched all. In short even the not-so good dancers had very good Tangos ( Jane Seymour and Tony, Shannon Elizabeth and Derek though ballroom tango, Donny Osmond and Kym, Karina and Mario Lopez, Maksim and Joanna when he stood in for Derek, in fact I can keep going........There were some very good tangos.

Sorry I had to add Mark Ballas and that Opera lady, again I don't remember her name.

Edited by skyways
  • Love 2

This has never been on my favorite show list but I watch it.  I am into it when someone I like is on (Kirsty).  And I got sucked into Maks and Meryl (hot).  I do FF a lot, judges mostly and always CA. I will watch packages that are mentioned here but I usually skip them.  Thank you all for the heads up on the interesting parts!

I want to like Biindi and I really do but enough with the cramming.  I think she has been programmed to show only her good/perky/positive side.  Not by this show but her history of being watched in Australia.  And that is a good thing and wise choice.  I just would prefer she not push that so hard.  There is a vulnerable girl in there that is deeper than we see.  And I am not talking about her fathers death.  Just a more real glimpse at the girl. 

There is no money to be won here, only an ugly trophy.  This is all about entertainment and exposure.  So they edit everything negative you show, that is always the deal on reality TV.  If you put it out there you cannot cry editing did me wrong.  And why do you even care?  Tamar, Carlos and Alexa have gotten some hits.    These are all successful people who are fine no matter what happens on this show.  

I have a mad crush on Tom and have since he did People are Talking (dumb daytime 30 min show) in Boston, decades ago.  He was a star the minute he hit the air.  Terrible show but I watched because of him.  I taped it.  Remember that?! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
There is no money to be won here, only an ugly trophy.

Actually the celebrities do get paid to be on the show. I believe they get $125,000 just to be on and get more the deeper into the season they go. It's not really talked about as much, I guess maybe because the show doesn't like to make it seem like they have to pay people to come on but trust, the celebrities get paid and a fairly decent chunk of change. Obviously many of the celebrities on the show are worth way more than that and for many it is about the exposure but they get paid. 

• Love 2

You forgot Evan and Anna's James Bond tango and Melissa Rycroft and Tony's (both of them), Shawn and Mark's, Shawn and Derek's Argentine Tango, Derek and that blond girl he won with I don't remember her name, Chelsie Kane and Mark - I don't know how many times I've watched all. In short even the not-so good dancers had very good Tangos ( Jane Seymour and Tony, Shannon Elizabeth and Derek though ballroom tango, Donny Osmond and Kym, Karina and Mario Lopez, Maksim and Joanna when he stood in for Derek, in fact I can keep going........There were some very good tangos.

Sorry I had to add Mark Ballas and that Opera lady, again I don't remember her name.

I remember those they're not my favorites, but they're mostly better than what Bindi did on Monday. 

I don't love Leah as a host, but I like her so much better than Erin. Where did Erin go and, more important, can she stay there?

Per Tom's social media, sounds like Erin will be resuming DWTS duties next week.

• Love 1
KAIL, ON 27 OCT 2015 - 06:40 AM, SAID:
Hayes' elimination reinforced why I don't like having children on the show. While he did better at keeping it together than poor Willow did on her season, he was still heartbroken. What does that have to do to the self-esteem of someone that age? You're a good dancer but America didn't like you enough. I watch this show for the cheesy fun, not to watch children get their souls crushed. It really takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Really? I think Hayes is about as lucky as he can be! He got to appear on a show called "Dancing with the Stars" not by being a Grammy winning singer, or training for years to become an Olympic gold medalist, but by posting home-made videos on the internet. While he seemed to be a very nice boy, and gave some good performances, he was one of the least deserving contestants to ever appear on the show. He got his place on the show not through any particular effort or talent, yet he got to appear several times on TV, and earn a salary for doing something very fun.

Again, I find him quite likeable, and I hope he enjoyed his time on the show. But despite being no different than millions of other kids his age he was handed a dream opportunity. I can't see him as anything but incredibly fortunate.

Besides, Hayes is 15, not 5.  I think he'd take exception to being considered a "child" who has to be emotionally coddled.  Losing one competition is hardly going to "crush" his soul.

Edited by legaleagle53

To differentiate her from the female pros in the group.

I thought it differentiated her... in a negative way.  She was distracted by how much it moved and went out of sync to adjust it toward the end. 

I've got to agree with what LadyMustang65 said on the last page.  And I do think Tamar was underscored.  Her dancing is very good and her connection and face was much better this week.  I just didn't get what the judges were doing.  I also thought Bindi & Derek did have the best dance of the night.  Bindi's chirpiness bothered me at first, but she's really working it.  Alek - this is the third week in a row where he didn't dance well. He's just not improving.  Although the guys are moving along, I don't think any of them have the great hold (shoulders down, butt in, chest extended, neck lengthened for cripes sake!) or the cleanness in their movements, that they should have.  The judges are definitely grading on a curve and I don't get the Tamar thing.  At all.

• Love 2

After reading all comments about producer manipulation ( negative,trumpted up edits) I think that from now on I am going to vote for whomever it seems that the producers don't want me to. If enough of us did this, then they might get the message and stop with this blatant manipulation.

Oh, who am I kidding? It probably won't help but I will do it anyway.

I agree with all who say Tamar, Alexa and to a lesser extent Alek are getting hosed while " Bindi the Perfect " is getting way to many passes.

• Love 3
YMMV but that might be because "weird" though they may have been, that was her selling the character and what she thought the character should be. The problem with Alek and Tamar isn't that they make weird faces while trying to sell their characters, is that they make no faces - they're dead in the face. So it's like their bodies are doing the dance but their face gives no emotion. Again, whether you think Bindi's faces are weird or not, you can't really say she's not selling the emotion and character.

Look at her Cha Cha with Val last week - it was supposed to be light, cutesy, cheeky and fun and that's what she was selling the entire dance on her face. Yeah she likely looked weird last night because she had to sell sinister which is like Bindi trying to convince someone she's an an angry, angsty teen. Never going to happen but she tried.

I usually agree with your comments but not with this one.  I do agree that Bindi was giving her all with emotion and character.  But you still have to play the right character.  You don't go to the movies and say that an actor was good because they gave it their all even though they were supposed to play sinister and made you laugh instead   I also think her legs were not crisp enough so because of these two things, I don't think she should have received a perfect score.  However, the only dance that I really liked was Team Nightmare.  I agree with the poster that said I hope they go back to regular dances last week.

I also agree that Tamar and Alek still need to improve on their performances but I think both of them are doing better.  They're not completely blank face anymore.  To me, a good example of getting the correct character was Hayes during the Team Nightmare dance.  He danced and played a creature so well in that dance.  That's why I mentioned in my previous post that he stood out in a good way. in that dance. 

• Love 3

I just loved Team Nightmare's dance. Every single second was interesting. I couldn't believe all the cool shapes each of them made with their bodies, and when they moved as a group, they looked like one big creepy thing moving along. So many fun costume details, too, like the men's bat-shaped bowties. I think I could watch that dance 20 times and catch something new each time.

I agree that Hayes stood out in a good way, as did Alexa for her team.

• Love 2

Enjoyed Halloween Week, and congrats to the remaining celebs standing after the dust (and fog) had settled in the competition.

3b.  Alexa & Mark
It was nice to see an improvement in her ballroom (with Mark), as I feel Alexa showcased a better frame and performance.  Agree with Bruno, as I thought Mark did a great job marrying the movie with the dance style, such that the paso doble aroma lingered on the floor.  It's the one dance where the male can dominate (which Mark did) and thought Alexa kept up well.  It was nice to see her keeping her rib cage upright throughout the routine such that it didn't collapse and ruin her posture.  Thought maybe they could've still gotten closer when in promenade hold position (including the encircling section where they interlocked/jabbed elbows), and that Alexa could've made the dress/cape work action a bit more cleaner and effortless.  Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how this couple progresses from this point forth.

3a. Nick & Sharna
Thought Nick did a nice job maintaining the risky lift as anything could've gone wrong. Enjoyed the opening section where Nick awoke Sharna with his fantastical hands.  Thought that brief move complemented the feel and nature of the music and arrested my attention immediately.  It was a bit unfortunate (and puzzling) to watch the unsure footing unfold as he came around the rose coffin (and at the very top of the routine too).  The moments in hold with Sharna showed a tentative, careful set of postures and steps, with little to no attack or intensity to the feel of the routine.  When near the rose coffin or coming down to the floor, I felt Nick never commandeered the dance such that Sharna could react off of his lead.  I wanted to taste the pain of their love (given the music) but felt that the passion was lacking.  While this may be a step back for this couple this week, hopefully they can continue producing great routines (as they've been consistent) free of any outside commitments as they move deep in the competition.

1.  Bindi & Derek
Thought Bindi set the tone of the routine by walking through the dark corridor with a fierce, passionate energy.  The sensual caressing of her body and biting moments added to the raunchy, burning nature of the dance style.  It's was a pleasant surprise to watch Bindi not break out of dance character right to the very end, as she seemed believable given her cheerful disposition.  Enjoyed the ganchos by both, the quick head flicks and spectacular lifts.  While it was nice to keep Bindi in hold, I wish they could've used the floor a bit more to showcase some more basic steps (still a little unsure she can go solo during the salsa and samba without the comforts of a stable hold when apart).  Thought at times the argentine tango had a little (very miniscule) ballroom tango-like feel to it (sharp movements, though the routine had fluidity), but it was nonetheless a fiercely, intimate performance that came off well-improvised.  Interested to see how they progress in the coming weeks.

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 4

After reading all comments about producer manipulation ( negative,trumpted up edits) I think that from now on I am going to vote for whomever it seems that the producers don't want me to. If enough of us did this, then they might get the message and stop with this blatant manipulation.

Unless that's what they want you to do... ;-)

• Love 3

I agree with all who say Tamar, Alexa and to a lesser extent Alek are getting hosed while " Bindi the Perfect " is getting way to many passes.

Unless that's what they want you to do... ;-)

I tend to approach this show as if it were Game of Thrones, or another scripted show I like. I can be irritated that they've "killed off" my favorite character, because I like to watch them, and I can totally disagree with a "plot decision" that was made because I think it's dumb, and I'm totally happy to talk about how the way people are portrayed on this show ties into larger cultural narratives or problems, but at the end of the day I'm not shocked that said things are happening. (Because reality tv.) 

But then I don't usually vote so maybe it's easier for me to detach. And there's no right way to watch this show, but I have to say, it seems to be a lot less stressful this way ;)

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 6

I tend to approach this show as if it were Game of Thrones, or another scripted show I like. I can be irritated that they've "killed off" my favorite character, because I like to watch them, and I can totally disagree with a "plot decision" that was made because I think it's dumb, and I'm totally happy to talk about how the way people are portrayed on this show ties into larger cultural narratives or problems, but at the end of the day I'm not shocked that said things are happening. (Because reality tv.) 

But then I don't usually vote so maybe it's easier for me to detach. And there's no right way to watch this show, but I have to say, it seems to be a lot less stressful this way ;)

Exactly. 

This show has been scripted and manipulated since day one all in the name of “entertainment.”   I think it only feels different nowadays is because of the prevalence of social media; we’re now getting behind the scenes video; backstage access via entertainment television; Instagram pictures; unfiltered Twitter feeds; Facebook posts; and what not.

The show really threw Alek under the bus this week after the constant hero edit he's been getting. They showed him swearing (although bleeped it out) after his scores were revealed last week, saying his routine was perfect, and there was even a shot of him grabbing at his crotch during rehearsals to adjust himself. Not exactly a broadcast-worthy moment. I've been saying from the start I think Alek is running away with the votes this season because of his hero status, but I've been OK with it because up until now he's always been so sweet and polite and humble. Suddenly we're seeing this other side of him, and it's not pretty. He's got a serious case of swelled head and entitlement going on. I think the producers want people to stop throwing all their votes at him; they clearly would prefer others to make the finals. He's never been in "jeopardy" either.

That said, he might have just undone all the ill will the producers tried to throw his way with his hilarious impression of Artem when Leah was interviewing him. He might be harder to get rid of than they thought.

While Leah is an improvement over Erin, I have to wonder what work she has had done?  I have followed her career since her Saved By the Bell stint.

She's probably had her eyes done like everyone else in Hollywood over the age of 30 but honestly she looks pretty much the same to me as when she was on King of Queens.

• Love 1
But then I don't usually vote so maybe it's easier for me to detach.

This. As a person who hasn't voted for this show in damn near forever (I think the only times I voted was for Mel B. the night of the finale, which fat good that did and I voted for Apolo the season he won), it's what has helped me stay fairly detached. I was never really that motivated to vote to begin with and later I realized that if I was motivated to vote, then it would mean I was invested and if I'm invested then it would mean possibly getting really upset about what happens. And I refuse to get all pressed and pissed off about this cheesy show for a tacky trophy. Incidentally, it's also why what I do get bothered by is some of the hateful and just seething anger towards some Pros and the celebrities because it's like, "really...is it that serious?"

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Halloween overload, man oh man!!! The dancing plays second fiddle to the theme. Remembering back to the first Halloween show, Cheryl and Emmitt Smith danced the best rumba ever to Spooky. But Cheryl had a beautiful white gown on and Emmitt looked excellent in a white shirt and pants. ( if you want to see hip action in a rumba check Emmitt out- wow!) So the music choices were Halloween related but the dancing was still pure. It was overkill ( no pun intended) last night.

When team nightmare got all tens I was sure team Derek would also and then Julianne would break the tie...... Thank you show for letting the best team win!

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 5

Halloween overload, man oh man!!! The dancing plays second fiddle to the theme. Remembering back to the first Halloween show, Cheryl and Emmitt Smith danced the best rumba ever to Spooky. But Cheryl had a beautiful white gown on and Emmitt looked excellent in a white shirt and pants. ( if you want to see hip action in a rumba check Emmitt out- wow!) So the music choices were Halloween related but the dancing was still pure. It was overkill ( no pun intended) last night.

Emmitt was certainly awesome at the rumba, and Cheryl was a great choreographer. Oh, how I miss her.

• Love 3

I said at the beginning of the season, and I stand by my statement, that if Derek can't win with Bindi, he will likely never win again.  I also wasted a moment wondering if they let Derek's team lose the team dance because they know he's going to win the MBT.  (But seriously, Team Nightmare KILLED it!)

The worst criticism people seem able to come up with about Bindi is that she's too perky and aggressively cheerful, but look at what's being said about other contestants. (Terri's done a great job with Bindi; she's an all-around good kid that any of us would be proud to have parented.)  I really feel like we're being set up for a Bindi and Derek win.  

I have never voted before this season, but I've been throwing my votes to Alexa just because I would like to see her make it to the finals.  I would especially like it if Alexa made it and Carlos didn't.

It's kind of weird watching Allison dance, knowing that she's pregnant.  With her Team Nightmare costume, I thought we were going to get an up close look at t'Witch Junior.

I just have to add that I love Halloween night because Halloween is my favorite holiday.  And though I know virtually nothing about dance, I wish the show would go back to traditional ballroom because the modern dance styles just seem so angsty and overwrought:  "Let me show you how high I can kick my leg up!"  "Look at how far I've stretched!"  "See how anguished I look!"  I feel like the judges here approach modern dance the way the judges on AGT approach opera:  they tend to overscore it because the feel like they SHOULD appreciate it as a rarefied art form, regardless of whether the performance is actually good.  I think it's much fairer to judge a dance that has actual rules and movements rather than judging something where anything goes and you are simply responding to how the piece made you FEEL.  No kicks and flicks?  No staying in hold?  Butt sticking out? No hip action? Illegal lifts (that was a freebie for you, CAI)? Take off points.  Let the freestyles go back to being special, and go back to traditional ballroom and social dances for the majority of the season.

• Love 4

I came here to say pretty much the same thing, although I am not sure the manipulation is to a lesser extent with Alek.  It seemed so deliberate for them to show him in just about his worst possible light.   Him being pissed off at the judges for last week may have in turn pissed them off to the point of wanting him gone and pushing for it as much as possible. I did sense that the judges were straining to remain civil towards him as they gave him their scores, but to their credit they didn't low score him. 

I wonder what's really going on with Alek.  I know he's been through a lot lately, is young and is not used to the quirkiness of "show business", which all may add up to it all getting to him in a way that is coming out as a bad attitude.  He strikes me as kind of an idealistic straight shooter, which might not help.  I also wonder if there isn't something going on behind the scenes to add to the drama, such as him pursuing Emma and perhaps getting rejected.  A wild possibility perhaps, but who knows?  Or perhaps he's gotten the "number" of the show regarding all the manipulation and it's totally turned him sour.  He may not have been aware before going into this just how unfair and un-real it can be and realizing it has demoralized him to the point where he has lost his drive.  He may feel that TPTB shaved off points because they were playing favorites and manipulating the outcome.  And he may actually have been right about that.  Compared to others he may have actually deserved a slightly better score last week.  Whatever, I just feel sorry for the kid and wish he could find a way to turn it around in spite of what he thinks is going on.

Regarding Tamar's lack of facial expression, she may not realize that it may not be representing what she's feeling at any given moment and needs to look in a mirror or watch videos of herself to see how she really looks.  I wonder if she knows that's what she looks like to the world.  Or perhaps she just thinks she needs to keep on a game face when she's dancing to look cool or something.  That said, I still think she's being underscored.  Same with Alexa.  Bindi is this seasons blatantly obvious "prized child".

• Love 1

I wonder if Alek hasn't just hit the wall, so to speak. The train attack was August 21, so just over 2 months ago and he has barely had time to slow down since then. Maybe some mental and physical exhaustion is setting in, in addition to the stress of being on DWTS. I would probably be getting cranky by now, too.

I wonder show much he knew about the show going in? Probably somebody made him an offer with a hell of a lot of money attached ("a lot of money" being relative to his previous status as a soldier and student in his early twenties) for what seemed like something fun and easy. How many of us at his age,plucked out of our regular lives, could have turned down a once in a lifetime chance to earn more money in 6-8 weeks than we probably had earned up until then?

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 3

YMMV but I do not see any low balling of Alek. I thought his score last week was perfectly fair and his whinging about it and insisting he was perfect was the height of delusion in my opinion. This week I think he was slightly over-scored to be honest with the 9's and the most ridiculous part was the group dance where Carrie Ann went at the women in the dance and Bindi's taking the blame when most people noted that Alek was the one who went COMPLETELY off.

On Afterbuzz they even all agreed that dude was off time right from the start of the dance and there was barely any mention, if any mention of that. So again, YMMV but I do not see any manipulation and low balling of Alek. I just think Alek may becoming like other contestants that's been on the show who are not natural dancers, who have some ability and decent weeks but eventually just peak and can't get any better than where they are. And it becomes more blatant with less contestants and stronger contestants left. 

• Love 3

I agree. Alek is getting way better scores than he deserves. If they were going to be fair, they would give him all 7s. However, it wasn't necessary to give him the "douchebag" edit. He is probably a nice guy who had a bad day. They should just cut that crap.

• Love 1

In this business of living, could anything be "seriouser?" Now, really????????

So what if people get upset over unfairness.  I have a pulse.  I watch sports and nobody seems to bat an eye when we (men mostly) get upset that their favorite team gets an unfair call. That's why replay is there.  But somehow on this show we're supposed to just laugh it off when we acknowledge that some are more talented than others, but the show wants us not to believe our eyes. This could be the revitalization or the start of people's careers. Just like sports they rely on fans to support them. 

• Love 1

I think in Alek's case, his scores would seem fair if others weren't being so overscored. If all scoring were being done fairly,ie..8's and 9's then maybe Alek wouldn't feel like his 7's were so bad. Nonetheless, I can guarantee that every contestant has had their share of meltdowns ( well, maybe not St Bindi) it's just whom the producers choose to show.

I mean, come on....showing Alek adjusting his package was just tacky on their part, not his. Anyone who looks down on him for that is just looking for any excuse to turn on him. He's a hero and heros need to make sure that everything is adjusted accordingly before they spring into action, lol (that last part was a joke)

I hope Lindsey schools him on how the show works a little more and he again gets the "fun factor " back, which I think he might have lost for a time.

• Love 3

I agree. Alek is getting way better scores than he deserves. If they were going to be fair, they would give him all 7s. However, it wasn't necessary to give him the "douchebag" edit. He is probably a nice guy who had a bad day. They should just cut that crap.

I'm thinking about that.  People are voting for him in droves because they think there's some damn love connection between him and Slater. His dancing stinks, honestly. But reading between the lines from Louie, maybe he's not so great an individual.  Hero sure, but look how Noah turned out. A douche who took Nastia's spot in the finals.   

Edited by Andie1