Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E09: Halloween Week

• Start Topic

Week 7 and here are the dances with the songs. (I got this list from two different spots on the web so they COULD be incorrect. YMMV - radishcake)

• Nick & Sharna — Argentine Tango to “Bring Me to Life” by Evanescence
  • Hayes & Emma — Waltz to “Once Upon A Dream” by Lana Del Rey
  • Alexa & Mark — Paso Doble to “Hora Zero” by Rodrigo y Gabriela
  • Tamar & Val — Foxtrot to “People Are Strange” by The Doors
  • Andy & Allison — Paso Doble to “The Beautiful People” by Marilyn Manson
  • Bindi & Derek — Argentine Tango to “Cry Little Sister” by Gerard McMann
  • Alek & Lindsay — Viennese Waltz to “Haunted” by Beyoncé
  • Carlos & Witney — Paso Doble to "O Fortuna" by Carl Orff

Team “Who You Gonna Call?”(Song: “Theme from Ghostbusters” by Ray Parker Jr.):
Bindi & Derek
Alexa & Mark
Carlos & Witney
Alek & Lindsay

Team Nightmare(Song: “This is Halloween” from A Nightmare Before Christmas):
Nick & Sharna
Tamar & Val
Andy & Allison
Hayes & Emma

Team Who You Gonna Call & Team Nightmare dance for Halloween!

https://instagram.com/p/9E6ZMej0Y0/
12120241_947859188620701_424388282_n.jpg

I am very happy that Tamar and Val got a great song (love the Doors) and its strict Foxtrot tempo.  I suspect Ghostbusters will be the winner just because the song is infectious and suits the teenager vibe, but the teams are pretty evenly matched. 

Edited by Andie1

Looks like a good lineup of songs and dances. I think Sharna is great at Argentine tango, but seems like they trot out that Evanescence song every Halloween. And I love the Viennese waltz, so I'll be interested to see how it works for Alek and Lindsay.

• Love 2

As I can't stand Carlos and "O Fortuna" is one of the greatest pieces of music in the whole universe, I am pissed off.

That's a heavy piece of music to pull off, it's easy to get overwhelmed by it. Perhaps he'll be crap at it and you can gloat about that? (-; My question is: Will the DWTS band have a crack at it and produce an epic massacre? Or will they see reason and take the recording?

• Love 1

Looks like a good lineup of songs and dances. I think Sharna is great at Argentine tango, but seems like they trot out that Evanescence song every Halloween. And I love the Viennese waltz, so I'll be interested to see how it works for Alek and Lindsay.

I agree, I think they could have done something else for the Argentine Tango,hopefully it will be an unplugged version which could be fresh and pretty great. Otherwise  it's going to put them at a disadvantage because the piece Derek and Bindi selected is new but it has that knocking reverb sound that is much easier to interpret for AT. It sounds sort of Gotan Project. The thing Nick has going for him though is maturity and that speaks volumes in Argentine Tango.

That Beyonce song isnt VWaltz  tempo but that's often the case with VWaltzes on this show..  

As I can't stand Carlos and "O Fortuna" is one of the greatest pieces of music in the whole universe, I am pissed off.

That's a heavy piece of music to pull off, it's easy to get overwhelmed by it. Perhaps he'll be crap at it and you can gloat about that? (-; My question is: Will the DWTS band have a crack at it and produce an epic massacre? Or will they see reason and take the recording?

Yeah I think it will be especially glaring because his wife is doing a Paso to guitar music. 

So the groups are going to tie again, right?

Certainly possible. imho  

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Who are the pros in that old clip?  Maks, Louis, Tony and ?  Karina and ? and ? and ?  Are Edyta and Alec in there?  Four female pros and only one blonde?  Wow - and who is the platinum fluffy girl?

Some great moments - Karina and Louis, Tony and Edyta?  And Louis' last slide there is gooseflesh raising....

• Love 2

Oh please! Let them use a recording. The band singers will ruin it.

I can see Carlos acting very full of himself with this music.

Also hope they use a recording for Hora Zero for Alexa. I absolutely love Rodrigo y Gabriela and I don't want to hear that spoiled either.  (It would be amazing if Mark played a cover for them to dance to. He can actually handle that style of guitar playing.)

• Love 1

Who are the pros in that old clip? Maks, Louis, Tony and ? Karina and ? and ? and ? Are Edyta and Alec in there? Four female pros and only one blonde? Wow - and who is the platinum fluffy girl?

Some great moments - Karina and Louis, Tony and Edyta? And Louis' last slide there is gooseflesh raising....

Alec, maybe? Think the girls are Karina, Edyta, Ashley (not 100% sure on her) and the blonde is Kym pre-whatever the heck she had done to her face.

Just for shitz and giggles, Vittorio Grigolo reprised that awesome  O Fortuna chorus in Season 14-  Remember Team Shirtless?  Maks was on both the pro dance in season 3 and this celeb/pro team dance in season 14 and I remember loving it for the sheer optics! . 

Edited by Andie1

I just sent that to a few friends on Twitter. It should have won that one. "O Fortuna" is one of my favorites. Here are two more from Strictly:

Cassidy Little and Natalie Lowe

Strictly: Richard Arnold and Erin Boag

• Love 1

I just wanted to add that Team Tango did a fabulous dance to David Garrett's "Toccato" too. Maybe that warranted this first tie? It was such a complex piece and the time signatures were mind-boggling.

I would so love to see another Classical Night. It is without question my favorite theme night.

• Love 2

Should be a fun show all around, but it seems easy to predict a win for Derek's team. I always think the non-pro male celebs are at a disadvantage in the team dance and Derek's team has 2/4 while Val's has 3/4. Plus, team Derek has the more fun, familiar and catchier song.

I wonder if the competition they're amping up between Carlos and Alexa is getting too much off camera, so they put them on the same team. He doesn't seem terribly supportive, if she were to win. Or maybe it's not that at all and it just makes the rehearsal schedule easier.

Wow that was amazing!! And it was a live performance of the music that was really good. Does anyone know who that was singing? I almost recognized the face so now it's bugging me! 

And if memory serves, Louis choreographed it.  Paso Doble is both his specialty and his favorite dance.

• Love 1

If I recall correctly, Louis choreographed that.  Still one of my fave DWTS pro performances.

I really miss Louis choreographing the pro numbers and would much prefer him than Mandy Moore who is not ballroom trained. Who's brilliant idea is it to have Mandy choreograph pro dances for this show?

• Love 7
Should be a fun show all around, but it seems easy to predict a win for Derek's team. I always think the non-pro male celebs are at a disadvantage in the team dance and Derek's team has 2/4 while Val's has 3/4. Plus, team Derek has the more fun, familiar and catchier song.

The team dances are freestyles - does the count beat really matter? Personally I think Team Nick has the better and more compelling song and I think if Sharna and Val and company are creative enough (which I'm sure they are), they can come up with something very interesting to that song. Team Bindi's song is corny and overdone in my opinion.

Honestly, this is like during All-Stars when Gilles' team had Gagnam Style and Shawn's team had Call Me Maybe which was pretty slow and dull. But Gilles and company went for this hokey theme to replicate the video and the whole thing turned out to be a mess. I'm going to assume Sharna and company won't make that mistake. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

The team dances are freestyles - does the count beat really matter? Personally I think Team Nick has the better and more compelling song and I think if Sharna and Val and company are creative enough (which I'm sure they are), they can come up with something very interesting to that song. Team Bindi's song is corny and overdone in my opinion.

Honestly, this is like during All-Stars when Gilles' team had Gagnam Style and Shawn's team had Call Me Maybe which was pretty slow and dull. But Gilles and company went for this hokey theme to replicate the video and the whole thing turned out to be a mess. I'm going to assume Sharna and company won't make that mistake. 

To be fair, Call Me Maybe also had the better technical dancers.  This season, the teams are evenly matched.  I'm looking forward to both.performances.  Glad Paula is gone so that one of the teams doesn't have a handicap.

This is Halloween might be too niche.

Ghostbusters theme is a bit catchier and upbeat. Derek is unmatched in team dances for a reason and he has Mark, Lindsay, and Witney on his side to help.

I love Sharna but I find she often gets complimented on choreo when it's not horribly amazing. She's boasted about how amazing Nick is and how amazing their dances are but i've found their entire season so far underwhleming.

Edited by PBGamer89

I really miss Louis choreographing the pro numbers and would much prefer him than Mandy Moore who is not ballroom trained. Who's brilliant idea is it to have Mandy choreograph pro dances for this show?

Thank you dwtsgueststars for posting the pro dance clip.  It was fantastic.  I agree that Louis needs to start choreographing again.  I want to see more great ballroom routines from the pros.  I hate the striptease routines.  I did like this week's opening number though.  However, the choreography was taken from musicals/movies so we didn't just have a bump & grind number. 

• Love 2

This is Halloween might be too niche.

Ghostbusters theme is a bit catchier and upbeat. Derek is unmatched in team dances for a reason and he has Mark, Lindsay, and Witney on his side to help.

I love Sharna but I find she often gets complimented on choreo when it's not horribly amazing. She's boasted about how amazing Nick is and how amazing their dances are but i've found their entire season so far underwhleming.

I don't actually think any of the team dances including Derek's have been good (I've only watched from season 16is on though).

They're just supposed to be fun.

And all of the pros get complimented on choreo when it's not super amazing, Sharna's not unique in that.

• Love 1

Personally I think Team Nick has the better and more compelling song and I think if Sharna and Val and company are creative enough (which I'm sure they are), they can come up with something very interesting to that song. Team Bindi's song is corny and overdone in my opinion.

I thought the same thing, actually. I'm not a fan of "This is Halloween" as a song, but I think it's far less hokey and prone to having a giant marshmallow man and proton packs thrown in somewhere.

Do we know what dances they're doing? They used to have a dance style (once upon a time). Are they just freestyles now? I think that makes them more of a letdown, because everything is a freestyle now. :/

I thought the same thing, actually. I'm not a fan of "This is Halloween" as a song, but I think it's far less hokey and prone to having a giant marshmallow man and proton packs thrown in somewhere.

Do we know what dances they're doing? They used to have a dance style (once upon a time). Are they just freestyles now? I think that makes them more of a letdown, because everything is a freestyle now. :/

I'm torn on which song is "better," since I agree that ghostbusters is more prone to being hokey and overdone, and "This is Halloween" has more options for creative leeway, but as a song it just never really picks up, unless there's a mix of it I don't know.

If I were Team Ghostbusters I'd play off the upcoming remake, and make all the women the Ghostbusters, dress all the guys as ghouls and creepies, and have all the solos be cheesy "battle" sequences.

They are almost definitely freestyles, and I agree that since I've been watching the show I don't know if I'd call any of the team dances "good." They've all been pretty hokey. Last one I liked the most was the Meryl/Amy Latin freestyle, though I still don't think I'd call the choreo on that amazing, it was just tight and fun.

Guess I'm in the minority, I like "This is Halloween" song. Or maybe I just like this light show lol.

I'd go out of my mind if I had that in my neighborhood with all the flashing lights, noise, traffic.  I guess some are now using radio stations for the music to get around noise ordinance violations, but still...

I wonder if the homeowners who do this for Halloween are the same ones who go OTT for Christmas too.

• Love 1

Even Derek said "...I love the other team's song and part of me wishes we got their song, but ours is gonna be a lotta fun."

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dancing-derek-hough-week6-blog-bindi-irwin/

"This Is Halloween" is a great song.

I always thought "Come Little Children" would be a great song choice for Halloween night.

And I wish that someone, some day would perform to "Tears to Shed"

Danny Elfman does write some good songs.

Edited by OakGoblinFly
  • Love 2

If I were Team Ghostbusters I'd play off the upcoming remake, and make all the women the Ghostbusters, dress all the guys as ghouls and creepies, and have all the solos be cheesy "battle" sequences.

Lord I hope not, the all female Ghostbusters is one of the worst remake ideas ever.

Alec, maybe? Think the girls are Karina, Edyta, Ashley (not 100% sure on her) and the blonde is Kym pre-whatever the heck she had done to her face.

It doesn't look like Kym has done anything to her face other than botox and perhaps a mini lift but she is only 39.  She looks exactly the same in that no features have been changed.   You can tell she looks older than pics from awhile back.  

Edited by wings707

I think it's funny that Bruno mentioned that at times Nick's dance felt more like a paso doble. Um ... the song makes for a great paso doble (IMO ... Evan and Anna pulled it off) and a DWTS unplugged version isn't going to change that.

But yes, the dance was a bit of a let down. I can't figure it out why, though. Was it the song? Was it the choreography? Was it Nick's training? I don't know.

Has Bindi ever gone first?

No. Earliest she's gone was 4th (and that was last week). She's gone last twice. (Week 2/night 1 and week 4)

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

I think it's funny that Bruno mentioned that at times Nick's dance felt more like a paso doble. Um ... the song makes for a great paso doble (IMO ... Evan and Anna pulled it off) and a DWTS unplugged version isn't going to change that.

But yes, the dance was a bit of a let down. I can't figure it out why, though. Was it the song? Was it the choreography? Was it Nick's training? I don't know.

I thought it was both the choreography and training.  It looked like he was performing a rough rehearsal of the dance.  Everything was in the right spot, but there was no oomph to it.  The kicks were definitely weak and there was no passion in the dance.  But the choreography was pretty bad too.  There was a lot of "messing about" the coffin.  Then they did tango steps just after the coffin.  Then they danced down the ramp and went into a long series of lifts to basically end the dance.  Even if he performed it flawlessly, I'm not sure I would have considered it an Argentine Tango.

Edit: I watched it again and I really think he was concentrated on the lift he had to do with Sharna.  That dismount looked pretty shaky to me in his legs.  They were bent kind of funny and he seemed wobbly.  His dancing did open up more once the lift was over.

Edited by Saylii

I missed the early dances but saw Nick's on youtube. He was not sharp (no energy), not too surprising. When I saw clips of him performing at the H&M Balmain Fashion Show in NY with BSB, my first thought was "that can't good especially with 2 dances this week".

So far, disappionted with most of the individual performances I saw (think my expectation was too high)  Liked Bindi's and Carlos'. Didn't see Alexa's but heard it was good, will have to watch it later tomorrow.

Edited by Brownie

Team Nightmare's dance was probably the first team dance I LOVED on this show.  Not liked just a lot but rewound twice to watch in awe again.

As for Team Derek (let's be real here) I didn't see Bindi being off by that much.  But Alex was WAY out of step with the others at the beginning. 

• Love 6

I'm eh on all the individual dances and I don't understand the scores, but Team Nightmare was pretty awesome.

I think that might be my favorite dance of the night #ThisIsHalloween #ThisIsHalloween

• Love 5

I am fine with Hayes leaving, but really wish it had been Tamar instead.

Of all of the seasons for Golden Boy to finally lose a team dance, ugh!  Alexa and Carlos could have used those extra points.  

Of those left, my favorites are Alexa, Carlos and Alek.  Andy, Nick, Tamar and Bindi can leave any time.