Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E09: Halloween Week

• Start Topic

I've said it in the first weeks in Tamar's thread, and sadly it's proven true: There's a sexist pattern towards female celebs that don't fit a certain ideal "norm" (like Bindi), and it's probably a mix of audience reaction (who are much more generous towards mediocre male celebs than many good female dancers, see Alek) and the producers reinforcing stereotypes and creating "drama" for these contestants. Both Alexa and Tamar have been harmstrung by that this season, getting strange edits in the packages, getting sometimes strange comments and scores by the judges. It's not that surprising, the show has often treated female contestants that didn't adhere to very strict "persona norms" in that fashion.

• Love 7

According to Paywizard:

Dancing With the Stars Contestants Salaries

Weeks 3 & 4: $10,000 per week ($20,000 total)

Weeks 5 & 6: $20,000 per week ($40,000 total)

Weeks 7 & 8: $30,000 per week ($60,000 total)

Weeks 9 & 10: $50,000 per week ($100,000 total)

If a celebrity makes it to the final episode, his or her earnings can go up as high as $345,000.

The Pros salaries are negotiated. During the early years they each earned $1K week. It was raised to $5K per week at some point. It may have changed since these numbers were published. I have heard, but don't remember when or where, that the Pros who have been with the show longer are paid more and are given quite a few extra perks, depending on differing specifics.

• Love 1
I mean, come on....showing Alek adjusting his package was just tacky on their part, not his.

Honestly, I didn't even see this and only knew about it after reading the comments here. And I'm going to guess there were many others like me. I am well aware about how the show can edit and manipulate packages but the fact is the show cannot edit body language and tone. Alek was clearly upset about his scores right after his performance and really did believe his performance was perfect.

Lindsay, Alek's Pro partner could barely restrain an eyeroll at one point when he was speaking which makes me think he had been having this attitude long enough to annoy even her. And I disagree about others being so overscored so that's why he can be upset - I think everyone left is a stronger dancer than Alek so if his scores don't match theirs, oh well. Maybe he and Andy may be somewhat on the same level but that's about it. 

Even the nicest people have bad days, though. With a show like this, I'm sure there is a LOT of frustration we don't see. What's telling is that they choose to show some people's frustration (in the case of Tamar and Alexa ALL the time) but not others (St. Bindi). There is absolutely no need to show dudes fixing their undies though. They should have some class!

• Love 3

I also think that Alek's scores are fair.  However, last week, the judges were throwing 10's like candy.  That's why I thought Alexa was really underscored last week.  Alek was scored fairly but there were others that were overscored.  Even Carlos admitted it.  So Alek saw all the high scores and probably thought his was low in comparison.

Alek is not a dancer.  I think he really tried to apply the judges' comments and that's why he was willing to dress up as Elvis.  I get that after working hard, you might get frustrated with scores.  I also don't think he really knows how to judge technique.  That's why he thought he did it perfect which probably meant that in his mind, he did all the steps (choreography).  But we also saw a clip of Artem showing him how he can improve and he admitted that he still had more to learn.  He said that he was grateful for Artem helping him.

I agree with whoever said that even our heroes are human.  I also agree with boyznkatz that I bet everyone has frustrating/bad days.  It's up to the producers to decide what they want to air.  I also wouldn't put it past them if they did tell Tamar to say that she's the best dancer because they were going to make a fun competitive/trash talking segment.

• Love 3

Leah and others were good sports when Sasha tried to scare them.  However, somebody needed to tell him not to scare Allison.  You don't scare a pregnant woman so that she falls forward like Leah did.

My thoughts exactly. I've read many comments about this Halloween show on a few forums and you are the first to make this comment. That was my thought when I saw Allison's reaction to Sasha scaring her. He should have stayed clear of Allison.

• Love 1

According to Paywizard:

If a celebrity makes it to the final episode, his or her earnings can go up as high as $345,000.

The Pros salaries are negotiated. During the early years they each earned $1K week. It was raised to $5K per week at some point. It may have changed since these numbers were published. I have heard, but don't remember when or where, that the Pros who have been with the show longer are paid more and are given quite a few extra perks, depending on differing specifics.

That's not much. Guess the celebrities are here for the exposure.

Not much?

I suppose everything is relative and many of them make a lot more than that with their other jobs, but for me... if ever they want to have one season be Dancing with the Fans, I'd be more than happy to try. If I make it to week 5, I'll have made more in a month dancing for the show than I made in an entire year, last year. That's insane to me. 

Count yourself lucky, celebrities.

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 11

Not much?

I suppose everything is relative and many of them make a lot more than that with their other jobs, but for me... if ever they want to have one season be Dancing with the Fans, I'd be more than happy to try. If I make it to week 5, I'll have made more in a month dancing for the show than I made in an entire year, last year. That's insane to me. 

Life is unfair #reusable

Not much?

Can I like this post about 100 times?

• Love 6

According to Paywizard:

Just to be clear, as I understand it, the above is in addition to the $125,000 (or whatever it currently is) for doing the show in the first place.

• Love 2

*headdesk*  Wow. I'd love to be able to conceive that amount, even on a yearly basis!

That said, I can certainly see how someone who's never been a celebrity and/or seen that kind of money yet in their lifetime (for example, like maybe Alek) would be tempted to say yes and do the show. 

• Love 2

Oh good grief, I cannot edit correctly!

I did the math. If I'm generous and assume that Alek has been active duty for 5 years and achieved the rank of sergeant, he's pulling in around $30K a year.

Then I did the next math. If Alek got $125,000 for agreeing to do the show, and another $170,000 because he's made it through week 9, then by doing this show for 9 weeks, he's already made ONE HUNDRED TIMES his annual salary! (Before taxes, of course) But seriously, how can I sign up for the show?

• Love 1

I did the math.  If I'm generous and assume that Alek has been active duty for 5 years and achieved the rank of sergeant, he's pulling in around $30K a year.

Then I did the next math.  If Alek got $125,000 for agreeing to do the show, and another $170,000 because he's made it through week 9, then by doing this show for 9 weeks, he's already made ONE HUNDRED TIMES his annual salary!  (Before taxes, of course) But seriously, how can I sign up for the show?

$300,000 is ten times $30,000 (not a hundred times) but, yes, it's still a lot more than normal people earn.

Edited by smlait
  • Love 1
$300,000 is ten times $30,000 (not a hundred times) but, yes, it's still a lot more than normal people earn.

You're right!  For some reason I used $3,000 instead of $30,000 when I did my calculating.  Duh me!

The PenaVegas are really cleaning up financially, aren't they? I can't imagine they have been raking in big amounts of money consistently over the years.

I hope that those like Alek, Hayes, and the PV's are being prudent with their windfall. They are all young, it would be nice to be able to sock away a nest egg like that. I guess it would be, anyway. : ) Can't say I have had the chance to know first hand.

• Love 1

I think in Alek's case, his scores would seem fair if others weren't being so overscored. If all scoring were being done fairly,ie..8's and 9's then maybe Alek wouldn't feel like his 7's were so bad. Nonetheless, I can guarantee that every contestant has had their share of meltdowns ( well, maybe not St Bindi) it's just whom the producers choose to show.

I mean, come on....showing Alek adjusting his package was just tacky on their part, not his. Anyone who looks down on him for that is just looking for any excuse to turn on him. He's a hero and heros need to make sure that everything is adjusted accordingly before they spring into action, lol (that last part was a joke)

I hope Lindsey schools him on how the show works a little more and he again gets the "fun factor " back, which I think he might have lost for a time.

I totally agree with you.  There was no reason they had to show Alek adjusting his "junk".  They actually did this in the first episode with Hayes too - I was probably the only person who noticed it, though.  With Alex it lasted way too long.  Do they have new editors or something?  Geesh, have some common sense and decency not to put that on the air.

Also, I agree about him being scored fairly but others being over scored.  I don't doubt that he has heard this from other people on the show, even pros, adding fuel to his dissatisfaction.  Also, it's not lost on me how the judges are not over-scoring him and kissing up to him the way they did with Noah Galloway, who I detested because he knew just how to get everyone to love him, meanwhile to me he was just a jerky guy who got excused for that for having had his limbs blown off.  I never wanted to minimize his sacrifice, but let's face it, the guy was completely overscored and practically elevated to second-coming status.  Meanwhile where Alek is concerned they have not shown very much admiration by comparison.  I have a feeling this is not lost on Alek, either.

• Love 1

My prediction is that Alek will come back strong this week...and by that I mean that he will be smiling and having fun. As others have said, he's already making a good chunk of money and he definitely doesn't need this show to further his career. He's not trying to make any kind of "comeback". When his run is over, he'll most likely be the most popular guy at the party or pub with lots of stories to tell. Although, he's probably more than a little disillusioned with the whole Hollywood/ reality biz.

• Love 3

The PenaVegas are really cleaning up financially, aren't they? I can't imagine they have been raking in big amounts of money consistently over the years.

According to IMDB, they both seem to be working pretty steadily.  Alexa had a lot more projects listed during 2014-2015 since she's an actress. But Carlos had quite a few even though he's more known as a musician/singer.

Just a few things on my mind:

Bindi: IMO, she is being overscored. To what end, I don't know.  Her Argentine Tango seemed lose and flabby- not crisp at all.  Also, I find her fake and I don't think she is as happy-go-lucky as she appears- I wonder what is hidden under that facade. I hope this competition doesn't do her more harm than good. Of course the $$$ will help.

Alek: I loved his Elvis dance from last week- and I liked the ghost theme of his waltz this week. So I kind of understand where he is coming from.  I think he might be annoyed that others are being overscored while he is receiving realistic scores. That's show business, Alek!

I hate hate hate!!! that break-the-neck move that was done (I think) in Bindi's and Alek's dances.  It makes me sick.    

Tamar and Val danced very well, and besides that, their dance was tops in creativity.

The group dances were sort of fun.  I liked Team Nightmare's best, but what a boring song!

• Love 1

Speaking of paycheck; according to Robert F. Kennedy “They will pay me $150,000 to commit and additional $350,000 if I make it into the semifinals in a televised dance contest."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/robert-f-kennedy-jr-eyes-dancing-stars-offer-article-1.2054097

1- I dont think that's too much, considering most tv actors make almost that much per episode.

2- The paycheck hasn't increased much since season 8 (via Shawn's contract)

No wonder they can't get quality celebs.

Edited by dwtsgueststars
  • Love 1

You just have to ignore everything but the dances!

We tape and skip everything but the dances.  Makes the show much shorter and much more enjoyable.

Really? I think Hayes is about as lucky as he can be! He got to appear on a show called "Dancing with the Stars" 

And he got to dance with a beautiful skimpily-dressed woman.  I don't think he's going to look at this as a bad experience.

• Love 1

And if we just had the discipline to bypass the message boards, our days would really be sunny!

I've got to learn to skip the recaps but I enjoy the message boards (at least the Previously ones) as much as, if not more than, the dances.