Type keyword(s) to search

Leon Brown: So Here's Me

Pallas
Message added by Scarlett45,

Leon is transgender and uses they/them pronouns. As defined in the GLAAD guidelines, they are a they, were a they, and will be a they unless they ever tell us something different.  Per those guidelines, referring to them as a woman or a girl or as she is not okay, regardless of any modifier placed before these words or the time period being discussed.  Referring to them by any name besides "Leon" or "Leo" is not appropriate, regardless of the time period being discussed. Intent matters and people may slip up. Let's strive to respect their identity.

Please review the guidelines of the site regarding the Hate Speech and Insensitive Language Policy, which includes guidelines from GLAAD for the LGBTQ+ community.

Also remember the Golden Rule of Primetimer is Be Civil.

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, winsomeone said:

Won't Audrey have to lose a considerable amount of weight before she has any elective trans surgery?

I don’t think that Audrey has mentioned wanting surgery. They have identified as non-binary, which doesn’t translate to male. 

• Love 9

Audrey has identified as non-binary, and is using “they/them” pronouns. As such when referring to Audrey, “they/them” pronouns should be used. 

The mods understand that there might not be malicious intent with misuse of pronouns, however, we follow the GLAAD guidelines for the LGBTQ+ community (please see the link before the reply box in this thread for details).

• Love 11

It gets confusing to me because we generally post about two people here. Is it wrong to post it like this, as an example,   “They (Audrey)”, etc.? Or just as “Audrey”, etc. when composing a post? Then leaving out she or her for the rest?

I hope someone understands my question. 😁

• Love 10

Jazz Jennings had to lose weight to have her surgery they said at the time. And she was no where near as over weight as Audrey is right now. I think when having elective surgery they use different guide lines such as weight at some hospitals? Like you must be healthy enough to survive a surgery that you don't actually need?

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It gets confusing to me because we generally post about two people here. Is it wrong to post it like this, as an example,   “They (Audrey)”, etc.? Or just as “Audrey”, etc. when composing a post? Then leaving out she or her for the rest?

I hope someone understands my question. 😁

As a personal choice and opinion I don't think it's ever wrong to use the person's name.

I had to de-gender military technical manuals beginning several years back when the military realized we could possibly be updating language for awhile.  My choice was ditch all pronouns and go with the sailor shall ....  The military member will....

I tend to use names or job titles if possible especially with people I don't know well. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 22

Asking a Legitimate Question Worded as Sensitve as I can Make it:

Why can't they come up with a new singular pronoun? For instance, for the non-binary challenged with no ill intent, something like "shim" would be easier to understand and fall into the singular pronoun category of our language. 

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, MsTree said:

Why can't they come up with a new singular pronoun? For instance, for the non-binary challenged with no ill intent, something like "shim" would be easier to understand and fall into the singular pronoun category of our language. 

I  believe that there has been a movement in that direction but there doesn't seem to be consensus on pronouns that are acceptable to all.  This is one I have seen on several occasions.

2022-03-10_7-26-19.jpg

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, winsomeone said:

My thoughts exactly. And I do wish our trans friends would be more tolerant when those of us use the wrong pronoun mistakenly. I don't need to be jumped on when or if doing so, just gently corrected.

Same here.  Sadly I do good to keep up with myself and the things I need to do.  Plus when you get to a certain age you don't always remember things like this.  Not that I don't want to, just have other things on my mind and forget.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
18 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I  believe that there has been a movement in that direction but there doesn't seem to be consensus on pronouns that are acceptable to all.  This is one I have seen on several occasions.

2022-03-10_7-26-19.jpg

Thank you, Cetacean. May I ask who all decides on a consensus? IOW, is a consensus based on a majority vote, or does it go to a particular committee for vote?? Just curious because they appear to be on the right track...especially for those of us having a hard time remembering while still trying to be respectful.

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

May I ask who all decides on a consensus?

I have no idea.  For every article that suggests options, there is another article from another group that says "nope".  This seemed to be a list that appears on multiple sites from multiple groups. 

I would imagine there will be favored words that someday evolve into common use just as language always evolves.  Like "groovy" and "cool" changed to "sweet" and then "awesome" and then........well, I'm old so I've lost track of what the latest term might be!

• Love 8

T am 82, and some days I am lucky if my socks match, let alone remember the correct pronoun I should use. With Audrey, it will be especially hard as we are all used to saying "her" when referring to "they." I will try my best though.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I have no idea.  For every article that suggests options, there is another article from another group that says "nope".  This seemed to be a list that appears on multiple sites from multiple groups. 

I would imagine there will be favored words that someday evolve into common use just as language always evolves.  Like "groovy" and "cool" changed to "sweet" and then "awesome" and then........well, I'm old so I've lost track of what the latest term might be!

I think that's exactly what will happen. Right now the concept of neopronouns (anything that's not she/he/they) is still a brand new one, and language takes time to evolve. Anecdotally, I'm 40, and I would say 99% of the people I know who identify as something other than their sex assigned at birth stick with he/she/they. 

It's really hard to adjust sometimes. I've misgendered myself at times, which is normal when you're in the middle of a big transition. Awkward, but normal. 

I admire that Mariah and Audrey are able to handle this privately and in their own way-whether it's because the Brown family keeps them at arms length or because they're respecting Audrey's wishes isn't clear, but I'm glad they do seem to have the space for that. 

• Love 14
46 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Does the dog have a tattoo on his leg??? What is that?

I did a double take too.  On second look I saw that the dog's paw is draped over Mariah's sleeve.

• Love 4
On 3/9/2022 at 7:28 PM, winsomeone said:

Jazz Jennings had to lose weight to have her surgery they said at the time. And she was no where near as over weight as Audrey is right now. I think when having elective surgery they use different guide lines such as weight at some hospitals? Like you must be healthy enough to survive a surgery that you don't actually need?

It usually has little to do with hospital policies or guidelines.The anaesthesiologist is the one who approves patients for surgeries. If he/she considers a patient to be at risk, it’s his responsibility to treat it or even postpone the surgery as there are risks to every single surgical procedure. And the procedure mentioned above is huge, often involving multiple separate surgeries, and demands a lot of strength to recover.

People who are overweight, are often less mobile and will struggle more during the mobilization process and recovery after the procedure. They are also more at risk for other health problems, particularly those related to heart and veins, which is a major risk for anaesthesia. And of course they’ll try to keep risks limited to a minimum.

If Audrey plans to go down that route (if!) then I’m absolutely sure that a weight goal will be set before the surgery, if only to limit the chance for complications.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Borrowed this screenshot from @Joan of Argh in the other thread. The picture grabbed my attention for 2 reasons:

• Mariah’s glasses are so unflattering and create a very odd effect. The cream of the frame almost matches her pale complexion which only leaves the black spots to be very clearly seen. It looks really strange.
  • Meri’s filtering again! It’s totally misplaced here in this post. As if she’s trying to up her daughter and daughter in law* in age and looks?

* My apologies if I upset anyone here, but what is the gender neutral form of son or daughter in law? I really have no idea!

image.jpeg

Edited by LilyD
  • Useful 3
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, LilyD said:

image.jpeg.51b490731d073b0630feeb79d1bda58b.jpeg

* My apologies if I upset anyone here, but what is the gender neutral form of son or daughter in law? I really have no idea!

A thorny issue for sure.  You could say Mariah's spouse but if you were speaking to someone that did not know Mariah would it be OK to say - my daughter's spouse? Or maybe my offspring's spouse?

• Useful 6

Are they married or still engaged?  I was expecting a wedding to be filmed for the show.  Partner?  That was the term I used before son and SIL got married.  Now I use husband, but he identifies as male and that's what they use and prefer.  I'd probably use partner or spouse otherwise.  

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Are they married or still engaged?  I was expecting a wedding to be filmed for the show.  Partner?  That was the term I used before son and SIL got married.  Now I use husband, but he identifies as male and that's what they use and prefer.  I'd probably use partner or spouse otherwise.  

I just say my daughter's wife. DD is chief of police in a major CA city. Wife works as a manager for a big coffee company in CA. They have 3 amazing children. I love them all to bits!! They have never said anything about  identifying pronouns...

• Love 12
10 hours ago, LilyD said:

Borrowed this screenshot from @Joan of Argh in the other thread. The picture grabbed my attention for 2 reasons:

• Mariah’s glasses are so unflattering and create a very odd effect. The cream of the frame almost matches her pale complexion which only leaves the black spots to be very clearly seen. It looks really strange.
  • Meri’s filtering again! It’s totally misplaced here in this post. As if she’s trying to up her daughter and daughter in law* in age and looks?

image.jpeg

Meri and her filtering!!! Why doesn’t she just go to a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist so she actually looks like that? And she could get gastric bypass while she’s at it so she can stop using skinny filters and actually BE thin. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

At one point Mariah listed her pronouns as she/they, which some pointed out does not fit any convention (did it mean Mariah accepted both she or they [and presumably her or them]? or was Mariah expressing solidarity with they/them people?). Mariah never explained the choice of pronouns and has since removed any mention of pronouns from the mariahbrwn IG page.

Audrey Kriss' (they/them) IG page has recent pics with what looks like the same wedding band from ~3 yrs ago, so presumably they are married or consider themselves married (or they are trolling us).

Mariah's glasses do look odd, probably bought online since most people would choose symmetrical tortoiseshell patterns when shopping at a physical  store. Are Big Glasses from the 1980s back in style?

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
18 hours ago, deirdra said:

At one point Mariah listed her pronouns as she/they, which some pointed out does not fit any convention (did it mean Mariah accepted both she or they [and presumably her or them]? or was Mariah expressing solidarity with they/them people?). Mariah never explained the choice of pronouns and has since removed any mention of pronouns from the mariahbrwn IG page.

Audrey Kriss' (they/them) IG page has recent pics with what looks like the same wedding band from ~3 yrs ago, so presumably they are married or consider themselves married (or they are trolling us).

Mariah's glasses do look odd, probably bought online since most people would choose symmetrical tortoiseshell patterns when shopping at a physical  store. Are Big Glasses from the 1980s back in style?

She/they is used by people who are ok with either being used interchangeably. So she's ok with being called she but would also accept being called they. It's a little more uncommon than they/them, but not that uncommon.

I also know people who use it to indicate where they fall within a non-binary space. So Mariah may identify as a more femme nonbinary person, hence the she/they. Or, for example, I generally prefer they/them pronouns, but I'll also answer to he/him pronouns, so I use he/they depending on the context. 

So combining a gendered pronoun with a gender neutral one is often used, is what I'm saying. 

• Useful 13
  • Love 5

Remember the 80's glasses with the ear pieces attached to the bottom of the frame?  Those never appealed to me, but I do prefer a larger lens to help hide my under-eye bags.  

I don't like Mariah's glasses though.  Audrey's are much better IMO.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Remember the 80's glasses with the ear pieces attached to the bottom of the frame?  Those never appealed to me, but I do prefer a larger lens to help hide my under-eye bags.  

Those were the worst, I never even tried any on when getting glasses back then - who wants obstructions in your sightline?  I look for a shape & fit that hides my under-eye bags and they don't need to be too big.  

• Love 5
On 3/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, deirdra said:

Are Big Glasses from the 1980s back in style?

Dear lord I hope not! My friends still affectionately call me Owl. They also hoot at me 😂 

7 hours ago, questionfear said:

She/they is used by people who are ok with either being used interchangeably. So she's ok with being called she but would also accept being called they. It's a little more uncommon than they/them, but not that uncommon.

I also know people who use it to indicate where they fall within a non-binary space. So Mariah may identify as a more femme nonbinary person, hence the she/they. Or, for example, I generally prefer they/them pronouns, but I'll also answer to he/him pronouns, so I use he/they depending on the context. 

So combining a gendered pronoun with a gender neutral one is often used, is what I'm saying. 

Thank you very much for such clear and easy to understand explanations, and also for being so kind when you respond. I really appreciate your posts.

• Love 15

I accept all people and try to use their preferred pronouns. But Audrey and Mariah both seem to enjoy finding reasons to be outraged and offended. At least they do on social media. Along with Meri, they're three peas in a pod, and I find all of them annoying and holier than thou.

Do Audrey and Mariah have jobs?

• Love 13
52 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I think Audrey does freelance advertising layouts including an appointment as Director of Publicity for Lizzie's Heritage Inn or some such important title. I think Mariah works as an activities director in a senior's center.  Not positive about either but pretty sure I remember Meri designating Audrey as her publicity person.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I accept all people and try to use their preferred pronouns. But Audrey and Mariah both seem to enjoy finding reasons to be outraged and offended. At least they do on social media. Along with Meri, they're three peas in a pod, and I find all of them annoying and holier than thou.

This!!! Remember the emotional support animal fiasco with the airline a few years back? They claimed they needed an “emotional support animal” (a dog I don’t remember which) and threw a fit when the airline said no. But after that fiasco, you never saw them with the dog at events with hundreds or thousands of people for “support” and I call bullshit.

As someone with PTSD and anxiety, I loathe people who fake it to get their way. I can’t afford a therapy dog and would never dream of faking my dog as such. People who cheat the system infuriate me because I live with it every day (and I think others like me laid into those two for doing that). They were quiet for a long time after that. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Had to correct autocorrect
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

They claimed they needed an “emotional support animal” (a dog I don’t remember which) and threw a fit when the airline said no.

It was BOTH dogs, one being a lab.  Pudge and Sludge miraculously and simultaneously developed "mental health issues" at exactly the same time they were flying home for the holiday.  What are the chances.  People went ballistic and it shined a light on the abuse of the system (especially when Sludge went on Twitter to rant about the airline) which caused an airline-wide tightening of restrictions. 

Not they didn't need tigtening.  The whole biting dogs, ESA peacocks, pigs, and horses was clearly out of hand.

Selfish, entitled twits.  At least they did get a lot of backlash for that stunt.  Unfortunately that made it harder for people with legitmate issues to travel with their ESA's.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13

As someone with PTSD and anxiety, I loathe people who fake it to get their way. I can’t afford a therapy dog and would never dream of faking my dog as such. People who cheat the system infuriate me because I live with it every day (and I think others like me laid into those two for doing that). They were quiet for a long time after that. 

Unfortunately, a lot of people like Mariah and Audrey fake mental health issues to get their dogs on planes as service animals. My uncle was blind and had a dog from the Seeing Eye who was a real service dog, so it always pisses me off to see people faking disabilities. I'm very sorry about your PTSD. I suffer from anxiety, but I would never exaggerate it to get my cat on plane when I don't need a service animal. Mariah and Audrey complain about the system but then tried to use to their advantage.

I've noticed that Mariah's social media account seems to have dead. She was so interested in being an attention-getter for such a long time that it is surprising that she went quiet.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I've noticed that Mariah's social media account seems to have dead. She was so interested in being an attention-getter for such a long time that it is surprising that she went quiet.

Speculation is that it was a condition for employment that made her shut up due to her contorversial comments.  I don't think she did it out of the goodness of her heart.  It must be killing her to be missing the adulation of her ass kissing followers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

That whole emotional support animal fiasco made me angry. Still does! They're both so selfish and entitled!

I also remember Mariah doing the flood of angry posts about how we peasants are doing everything wrong and should be supporting X cause...but we never saw them doing anything for those causes, just hashtag laden posts.   Posting once and adding a ton of hashtags doesn't help anyone anything. It's like getting products or services for free "for the exposure". 

• Love 14
21 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

Thank you very much for such clear and easy to understand explanations, and also for being so kind when you respond. I really appreciate your posts.

Anytime! It's a learning curve for everyone! 

3 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Speculation is that it was a condition for employment that made her shut up due to her contorversial comments.  I don't think she did it out of the goodness of her heart.  It must be killing her to be missing the adulation of her ass kissing followers. 

That, or they're all growing up a little bit. People's relationships to facebook and social media evolve and change a lot, and maybe after a forced or voluntary break Mariah decided not to share every detail on instagram. 

I feel like for a lot of people who "grew up" on reality shows, they tend to go in either the "constantly online" direction or the "you know what, I'm going to fade quietly into the background" direction, and it's a tough transition to go from cameras all over your childhood to being more private. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
20 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

That whole emotional support animal fiasco made me angry. Still does! They're both so selfish and entitled!

I also remember Mariah doing the flood of angry posts about how we peasants are doing everything wrong and should be supporting X cause...but we never saw them doing anything for those causes, just hashtag laden posts.   Posting once and adding a ton of hashtags doesn't help anyone anything. It's like getting products or services for free "for the exposure". 

It infuriated me when Mariah did this. She used “causes” to bring attention onto herself and then did NOTHING to actually help. Same with her “yoga lifestyle” bragging, she didn’t actually *live* it — for all she posted about spiritually and nature and peacefulness, Mariah herself was a loud, angry bullhorn. 

I genuinely hope she has changed. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 8

Someone needs to gently take Mariah aside and explain that her glasses are not complimenting her face and that her hair looks very dirty in every picture that gets posted on social media. She's not an ugly person at all. But those glasses are bad and she seems to have really completely given up on her hair. 

• Love 6
On 3/29/2022 at 8:57 AM, TurtlePower said:

This!!! Remember the emotional support animal fiasco with the airline a few years back? They claimed they needed an “emotional support animal” (a dog I don’t remember which) and threw a fit when the airline said no. But after that fiasco, you never saw them with the dog at events with hundreds or thousands of people for “support” and I call bullshit.

On 3/29/2022 at 9:12 AM, Cetacean said:

It was BOTH dogs, one being a lab.  Pudge and Sludge miraculously and simultaneously developed "mental health issues" at exactly the same time they were flying home for the holiday.  What are the chances.  People went ballistic and it shined a light on the abuse of the system (especially when Sludge went on Twitter to rant about the airline) which caused an airline-wide tightening of restrictions. 

Not they didn't need tigtening.  The whole biting dogs, ESA peacocks, pigs, and horses was clearly out of hand.

Selfish, entitled twits.  At least they did get a lot of backlash for that stunt.  Unfortunately that made it harder for people with legitmate issues to travel with their ESA's.

If memory serves the airlines had ESA could fly for no charge, but "normal" dogs cost around $250 each.  So the two dogs became ESA overnight...to save fees. I remember my husband was flying the same carrier the following week and he sent me a screen cap of their updated ESA rules, including paperwork proving your need for ESA. It was quite the stink and it changed rules all over. Not long after I started seeing rules for ESA posted on local store doors.

However, after seeing Meri with Mosby, I would say that little dog is clearly Meri's ESA.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Roslyn said:

So the two dogs became ESA overnight...to save fees.

I think that was the most egregious part plus the fact that it triggered an update of rules everywhere, all because of a couple of Z-list, self-absorbed, entitled brats.  As I recall, even the staunchest fans were posting nasty messages.  Although there were a few that got all supportive when Pudge countered with "I can't help it if I have a mental disorder, you are all so mean".  Must have been a miraculous dual cure since it vanished immediately after the flight.  

Grifting liars.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Someone needs to gently take Mariah aside and explain that her glasses are not complimenting her face and that her hair looks very dirty in every picture that gets posted on social media. She's not an ugly person at all. But those glasses are bad and she seems to have really completely given up on her hair. 

Mariah’s hair is a terrible color and has been for a couple years, probably grocery store box dye. In one of the photos, the lighter roots are growing out which looks even worse. 

Mariah’s natural hair is a lovely blonde shade that looks really good, I don’t understand the decision to keep coloring it black. Kinda has a Severus Snape vibe going on.

Now Audrey on the other hand looks great in black hair because that’s their natural color. It suits them. 

• Love 9

With a little hesitation and after some deliberation I have decided to put the following up for discussion: 

Are more people worried about Mariah and Audrey's health? I have absolutely no intention to fat-shame or hurt someone, but the huge weight gain in such a short time with these young people is shocking. I am primarily thinking in the direction of health issues that inevitably arise with such weight gain. Mariah has always had a slightly fuller figure but she looked good and healthy with it. But the way they're looking now is definitely obese, if not morbide obese. Could there be an underlying health issue? I'm thinking a little in this direction as I find neither looking terribly healthy nowadays with their very pale complexion and blotched (for lack of a better word) skin.

I cannot rule out a massive stress factor out either. Stress is a huge cause for weight gain and I am sure that Audrey identifying as non-binary and figuring out which way to go is not always easy for either of them. And Mariah is a very experienced complainer/stressful person etc as we all know.

Edited by LilyD
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6