Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

My pet peeve are the brides who come walking out of the dressing room in their bare feet.  There’s something to wearing even a small heel that tends to lift your body and makes a dress look better.

It's an irritant to me, too. If I were shopping for a dress as expensive as a wedding dress, I'd:  1) bring a pair of shoes with me that were the approximate height of the heel I planned on wearing under the dress, and  2) make sure the shoes were easy to slip on and off so I could 3) take the shoes off while stepping into the dress and avoid accidentally ripping a seam or a hem. 

And while I'm venting, I've also noticed the number of brides who don't know how to lift up a long dress. It seems like that would be the kind of thing a consultant could explain/mention to the bride in the dressing room. In the last couple of weeks I've seen brides who've just lifted up the front of the dress like they were going to show folks their underwear*. It might not make that much difference in a bridal salon, but if they don't know how to manage the dress, there will probably be some rather embarrassing candid photos floating around after the wedding. 

*I'm not talking about naked bride 😉. I'm thinking of the ones who have fully bought into the idea that they're the star of the "show" on their wedding day.

Edited by rur
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, rur said:

And while I'm venting, I've also noticed the number of brides who don't know how to lift up a long dress. It seems like that would be the kind of thing a consultant could explain/mention to the bride in the dressing room. In the last couple of weeks I've seen brides who've just lifted up the front of the dress like they were going to show folks their underwear*. It might not make that much difference in a bridal salon, but if they don't know how to manage the dress, there will probably be some rather embarrassing candid photos floating around after the wedding. 

READING MY MIND....I cringe every single time...a 30 second lesson in the dressing room and that wouldn't happen

• Love 4

While on the subject of brides you come out of the dressing room in their bare feet; ever notice the dress on people in that salon.  Looks like they are going out to a fast food burger place.  Is it too hard to look somewhat nicely attired to go shopping for a wedding dress , especially in a big city

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Koalagirl said:

My pet peeve are the brides who come walking out of the dressing room in their bare feet.  There’s something to wearing even a small heel that tends to lift your body and makes a dress look better.

Not to mention walking on the floor that is not in your own home in bare feet makes me shudder.

• Love 10

Years ago, I worked in a department store.   We hated it when someone would walk out of the fitting room barefoot.     Every time they came and vacuumed the rugs, the vacuum would pick up tons of rocks, and dirt, and all kinds of clips and other things that would hurt to step on.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I agree with everyone on the bare feet thing but it’s interesting to note that one of Kleinfeld’s COVID requirements is no shoes are allowed in the fitting room. So either you are required to be barefoot or wear socks. I’m not sure how that prevents the spread of Covid. Sounds nasty to me.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

I agree with everyone on the bare feet thing but it’s interesting to note that one of Kleinfeld’s COVID requirements is no shoes are allowed in the fitting room. So either you are required to be barefoot or wear socks. I’m not sure how that prevents the spread of Covid. Sounds nasty to me.

Covid 19 can be transmitted via the bottom of shoes particularly from hospital and medical settings. Given how much New Yorkers walk and share busses and subways it's a concern.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200414/cdc-covid-19-can-spread-13-feet-travel-on-shoes

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-qa-faq-covid-19/6293285/

(Autoplay warning)

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, quirkygal said:

Covid 19 can be transmitted via the bottom of shoes particularly from hospital and medical settings. Given how much New Yorkers walk and share busses and subways it's a concern.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200414/cdc-covid-19-can-spread-13-feet-travel-on-shoes

https://abc7.com/coronavirus-qa-faq-covid-19/6293285/

(Autoplay warning)

So then they are going to wear shoes into the salon along with their guests (currently it says they are allowed 2) and the employees. They go into the dressing room where they can’t wear shoes and then come out of the dressing room in their bare feet walking on the carpet that has been walked on by everyone in their shoes. Doesn’t sound smart to me. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

So then they are going to wear shoes into the salon along with their guests (currently it says they are allowed 2) and the employees. They go into the dressing room where they can’t wear shoes and then come out of the dressing room in their bare feet walking on the carpet that has been walked on by everyone in their shoes. Doesn’t sound smart to me. 

There is so much contradictory information regarding Covid-19 out there now it's no wonder no one wants to come out of their home...it's unlikely to be transmitted by the soles of footwear, but no one wants to liable either...horrible Catch-22...

• Love 4
On 8/17/2020 at 10:17 AM, CruiseDiva said:

Fit and trim. I was avoiding body shaming, but she was pretty chubby and dumpy. Her entourage all looked slimmer and athletic in their  Taekwondo uniforms.

I thought she had a fine body for her sport - she didn't look like a runner or a figure skater, but a stockier body in tae kwon do doesn't hurt.  My problem with her (and the bride who got married at the end) was their masculine swaggers that just don't go with pretty dresses 😄 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, CrazyMoon said:

There is so much contradictory information regarding Covid-19 out there now it's no wonder no one wants to come out of their home...it's unlikely to be transmitted by the soles of footwear, but no one wants to liable either...horrible Catch-22...

It seems like brides should be allowed to bring a pair of shoes to wear to try on dresses and Kleinfeld's can provide antibacterial wipes to use on the bottoms before putting them on.  Or just give the bride some OR paper booties to put on over her shoes in the dressing room.

Or, you know, provide a chair outside the dressing room where the bride can put her shoes back on before going out into the showroom.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 9

...I'm guessing that was a bitter divorce.

Who knew you could get a $225 wedding gown at Kleinfeld's? It was pretty but she's going to need a bunch of alterations going by those clips. I've never seen a Pakistani/Puerto Rican wedding, I wish that had been the ceremony at the end.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Maybe.  But I think it was more likely an act otherwise I don't think they'd both be there for the shopping and participating in on camera jokes about the whole thing. They were both there when that bride went back too and they weren't being filmed.

However, I would think she was happy to be rid of him.  Hell, I'm happy to be rid of him and we only had to spend an hour with him.  Jokes he thought were funny included jokes that made fun of getting married to the mom and then either he (or the bride) joking that, as an ex-cop, if he didn't like the fiance, he could have "gotten rid of him."

C'mon TLC, is that really the kind of joke you want on your show these days? 

• Love 6
On 8/15/2020 at 5:03 PM, maggiegil said:

I liked Taekwondo brides dress but I wish they'd stop being so gimicky on this show. I get that as a small business its a great opportunity to advertise but all of them wearing the uniforms and then breaking the boards (also am I just being bitchy or am I right it can't be difficult to do if Randy who hasn't any training can do it?).

I just watched this episode.  I somehow missed it last week.  My nitpick with this storyline is that the uniform isn't normally worn outside of the Dojo in this type of setting.  Mr. Chat has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.  He would put his uniform on at home in order to go to class or to a competition, but you never wear it for something like this, or to dress up for Halloween.  It's not meant for that.   I'm sure they wanted to advertise their business, so no harm done, but I thought the whole gimmick was silly.

• Love 13
42 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I just watched this episode.  I somehow missed it last week.  My nitpick with this storyline is that the uniform isn't normally worn outside of the Dojo in this type of setting.  Mr. Chat has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do.  He would put his uniform on at home in order to go to class or to a competition, but you never wear it for something like this, or to dress up for Halloween.  It's not meant for that.   I'm sure they wanted to advertise their business, so no harm done, but I thought the whole gimmick was silly.

Same thing with the Puerto Rican Bollywood bride who came waltz into the showroom with her pageant tiara and sash from some contest she won a few years back.  They must really want the notoriety in a big way.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Who knew you could get a $225 wedding gown at Kleinfeld's? It was pretty but she's going to need a bunch of alterations going by those clips. I've never seen a Pakistani/Puerto Rican wedding, I wish that had been the ceremony at the end.

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Maybe.  But I think it was more likely an act otherwise I don't think they'd both be there for the shopping and participating in on camera jokes about the whole thing. They were both there when that bride went back too and they weren't being filmed.

However, I would think she was happy to be rid of him.  Hell, I'm happy to be rid of him and we only had to spend an hour with him.  Jokes he thought were funny included jokes that made fun of getting married to the mom and then either he (or the bride) joking that, as an ex-cop, if he didn't like the fiance, he could have "gotten rid of him."

C'mon TLC, is that really the kind of joke you want on your show these days? 

Yep, I think it was put on for show. It was like a really bad stand up comedy routine. It was written like a crappy sitcom or movie, the only thing that was missing was them getting back together in the end. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 8/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, princelina said:

I thought she had a fine body for her sport - she didn't look like a runner or a figure skater, but a stockier body in tae kwon do doesn't hurt.  My problem with her (and the bride who got married at the end) was their masculine swaggers that just don't go with pretty dresses 😄 

If you go back a few years and several dozen pages in this topic (😉) you'll see my old post about this very thing; IIRC I think I said many of the brides walk like they're slogging through the mud wearing combat boots.

The situation hasn't improved since I made that comment 

Regarding martial arts body types: my very good friend and her two sons (both in their early 20's) are all black belts in karate 

My friend is short and has an apple body shape, similar to the taekwondo bride.

Her older son is of average height and slim.

Her younger son is the tallest of the three and his body shape is extreme apple. He's considerably overweight.

The point being I don't think weight, body type/shape or even fitness are necessarily as important in martial arts as in other sports. Decades ago, before Jerry Springer went off the rails, he had on a gentleman who was a paraplegic and who used a manual wheelchair for mobility. He was also a black belt in karate and was on the show to give a demonstration. You would not want to mess with that guy.

5 hours ago, cameron said:

Same thing with the Puerto Rican Bollywood bride who came waltz into the showroom with her pageant tiara and sash from some contest she won a few years back.  They must really want the notoriety in a big way.

I was so confused. How did a Puerto Rican end up winning Mrs. Guam? Puerto Rico and Guam are 9387 miles apart, so it's not like she woke up one morning and said "Think I'll hop on over to Guam and see if I can enter the Mrs. Guam competition!"

SO many questions...

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I was so confused. How did a Puerto Rican end up winning Mrs. Guam? Puerto Rico and Guam are 9387 miles apart, so it's not like she woke up one morning and said "Think I'll hop on over to Guam and see if I can enter the Mrs. Guam competition!"

SO many questions...

That confused me too.  Maybe Vivienne's father was from Guam?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

was so confused. How did a Puerto Rican end up winning Mrs. Guam? Puerto Rico and Guam are 9387 miles apart, so it's not like she woke up one morning and said "Think I'll hop on over to Guam and see if I can enter the Mrs. Guam competition!"

SO many questions...

I think she said she was living in Guam at the time. And maybe I'm remembering what she said wrong, but she was going to be some sort of fitness coach for the contestants, but ended up entering? I wasn't paying too much attention to it all, so I'm confused as to where the Pakistani Bollywood part came from. 

• Love 2
On 8/16/2020 at 4:21 PM, princelina said:

No I like it.  Not that I would, but if I ever did go there I'd be disappointed if I didn't hear it from him 😄 

What I am tired of:

1. they boast that they have so many dresses but then act like whatever completely common thing the bride asks for is next to impossible for them to find (because she doesn't want to spend enough)

2. those ballgowns that have a waistline around the bottom of the rib cage rather than the actual waist, so they all look fatter than they are, and no one seems bothered by it but me

I was wondering if Randy takes tae kwon do at their studio and was scoring them some free advertising 😄 

On 8/16/2020 at 10:57 AM, CruiseDiva said:

I couldn't believe they sent her out in that mermaid dress. She looked like a slob in it. For a black belt in Taekwondo, she didn't have the body of a healthy athlete. The other ladies looked more the part.

Those 'boards' must have been very flimsy props. The gimmicks are getting tiresome.

The whole "breaking a board" thing is totally a schtick used to get people, and particularly children, into martial arts.  When my son was about 4, he went to a demo at a martial arts studio and they had him break a board.  It's so easy a 4 year old can do it, lol.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

I really don't like the detachable skirts that have been featured a lot lately; if they went all the way around maybe but the ones that go from the hips backwards just look like some sort of bizarre showgirl costume.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

Anyone else think they're showing brides/footage from the cutting room floor?  It's like the episodes are cobbled together in a collection of, "ehhhh" (uncomfortable polite smile, brides and their antics plus some filler B roll.

Just me?

• Love 8
On 8/24/2020 at 4:16 PM, Ciarrai said:

I really don't like the detachable skirts that have been featured a lot lately; if they went all the way around maybe but the ones that go from the hips backwards just look like some sort of bizarre showgirl costume.

On 8/24/2020 at 7:34 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hate the detachable skirts too.    They look awful.  

Nothing in fashion is new 

This style - a fuller half skirt tied over a more form fitting dress - was a style popular in the 1950's:

Screenshot_20200826-194743.png.b6776f64375d0ef791d3f2b5f4c9a50b.png

It even crept into daywear, with a full, knee or midcalf length half skirt worn over a pair of capris:

Screenshot_20200826-195243_copy_380x505.png.7006d31181c5ac7de541ad45a76b66c6.png

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 8/26/2020 at 8:03 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Actually, I like the 50's style better, with the heavier fabric,  than the detached tulle skirts the brides are wearing now.  

Lucille Ball usually wore something similar on I Love Lucy ❤️ 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Mountainair said:

And Whoopie Goldberg wore one to the Oscars years ago before everyone was styled professionally 🙂

I think the overskirt might be the *cheap* way to provide the two different dresses that brides seem to think is now necessary so they have the traditional ceremony dress and the sexy reception dress.

Are those extremely tight dresses comfortable to wear all evening? It is one thing to wear a tight short dress but some of those dresses seem to be extremely constricting and appear to be uncomfortable to walk or sit in.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Mountainair said:

Ironically,  speaking of I Love Lucy . . . . 

1 hour ago, amarante said:

Are those extremely tight dresses comfortable to wear all evening? It is one thing to wear a tight short dress but some of those dresses seem to be extremely constricting and appear to be uncomfortable to walk or sit in.

Whenever I looked at one of the dresses that was tried on last week, all I could think of was the one in the I Love Lucy that she wore when she was trying to be glamorous but couldn't sit down all night. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I think of the many times on Project Runway when designers make things too tight, or something crazy, and the models not only can't sit down but have to mince their way down the runway. And if they've been sewn in they can't use the bathroom. Actually, a lot of the wedding gowns probably cause problems with bathrooms. Like my prom dress, which had a strapless, boned corset with a full length semi-poufy skirt. Took up the whole stall and there was too much skirt to lift up so I had to shimmy out of the whole thing, and hang it on the hook so it wasn't sitting on the floor. The corset didn't allow room for a bra so I'm standing there in only underwear and 4 inch strappy heels. Could have used a couple of bridesmaids.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

Attention brides! Royalty never shows off their boobs on their wedding day!

The dress she picked still sat too high on her waist. The other bride with the fur would have looked great in anything. Thought the lace dress was fine. Wish we had seen her in more dresses.

• Love 6

I just turned on my TV in time to see the last five minutes of the new episode. Couldn’t the groom stop chewing gum long enough for ceremony? 

Now the polygamy thruple from three years ago is on with the frumpy current wife who can’t be touched, the super enthusiastic and young bride-to-be and the nerdy looking husband who is “going to take care of both of them.”

just a technicality, but won’t the original couple have to get divorced before this wedding can take place? Is this a sister-wife scenario? 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, magemaud said:

just a technicality, but won’t the original couple have to get divorced before this wedding can take place? Is this a sister-wife scenario? 

Polygamists have one legal wife and the rest are all "spiritual" wives.  So no divorce is necessary but the new "wife" has no legal rights.  She's just a new baby machine.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Polygamists have one legal wife and the rest are all "spiritual" wives.  So no divorce is necessary but the new "wife" has no legal rights.  She's just a new baby machine.

And in Jennifer’s case, a sex machine because Ellen has some issues regarding touching so I imagine intimacy is out of the question for her. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I think of the many times on Project Runway when designers make things too tight, or something crazy, and the models not only can't sit down but have to mince their way down the runway. And if they've been sewn in they can't use the bathroom. Actually, a lot of the wedding gowns probably cause problems with bathrooms. Like my prom dress, which had a strapless, boned corset with a full length semi-poufy skirt. Took up the whole stall and there was too much skirt to lift up so I had to shimmy out of the whole thing, and hang it on the hook so it wasn't sitting on the floor. The corset didn't allow room for a bra so I'm standing there in only underwear and 4 inch strappy heels. Could have used a couple of bridesmaids.

As I recall, when Bethany Frankel got married on her show, they had a segment where she was crouching over a pot with her bridesmaids holding up her wedding dress so she could pee.

• Love 3

Did my ears actually hear the words "including alterations"? Of course they blew that budget but at least they were acknowledging it could be up to $1000 more than the list price of the dress. Didn't really love it either. Pnina has a new line that has simple, clean lines and no rhinestones, crystals, or peekaboo lace. Think she finally got fed up with her designs being called stripper fairies? Liked the top of the first dress but the layered ball gown skirt was really odd. Maybe it's supposed to be 'fashion forward' but it just looked dumb.

• Love 13

I haven't read recently what the alterations package costs, but at one time I think it started at $600, with additional work above that adding up fast.   However, that's for Vera and crew doing the work in house.   If there is a designer alteration, such as bigger cups, or longer skirt, then that is added to the dress price.   Not all designers do special alterations either.    

Then there are the veils, sparkly belts, adding sleeves, or shoulder straps, or extra lace or specialty work costing a bundle more above the basic alterations.    

My guess is Pnina is offering more conventional gowns to get more of Kleinfeld's sales from her competition at Kleinfeld.   I think Randy's line would be a good place to start gown shopping.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7

And no one has ever mentioned sales tax, which is almost 9% and may come as a surprise to those from other states (not to mention Canadian brides who will also pay tax and duty to take their dresses home).

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

Did anyone find the pockets that were in the Pnina dress the bride getting married in Dublin chose were in the wrong place to be flattering? I felt like having them right over the stomach rather than nearer the hips like most pockets made them look really strange.
I don't understand adults who go over the budget and don't offer to cover the excess themselves, maybe their parent will be ok with going over but at least offer.

I loved the dress the botanic garden bride chose. Maybe a bit too low cut but it really did look amazing on her, I think a fabric cut well without the need to embellish with lace or bling can be so much more striking.

I agree about the groom chewing gum and I was not a fan of either of the brides dresses but that looked like a super fun wedding.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Attention brides! Royalty never shows off their boobs on their wedding day!

The dress she picked still sat too high on her waist. The other bride with the fur would have looked great in anything. Thought the lace dress was fine. Wish we had seen her in more dresses.

Wondering if the St. Louis brides late father was a professional athlete.  She showed a picture of him wearing a full length fur coat.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I don't understand adults who go over the budget and don't offer to cover the excess themselves, maybe their parent will be ok with going over but at least offer.

I also wish that members of the party who encourage a bride to try on a dress over budget that she turns out to love would offer to chip in.  It's the least they could do. 

I loved both of the Pnina dresses on the garden bride.  She chose the right one for the venue, though.  The other one would have looked better in a large church or castle.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, maggiegil said:

This drives me nuts. It was especially bad in this situation. If this woman didn’t feel the need to have a super pricey destination wedding in Ireland, a place she’d never even been before, then she would have had plenty of money for whatever expensive dress she wanted. 

Also, last night I was astonished to discover that I actually liked a few of those Pnina gowns. I haven’t seen the show in a while but it seems that Pnina has discovered that a dress doesn’t have to be see-through. I wish that dress with the high collar had a different skirt. The layered tuile was weird. But I loved the top and I loved the dress the woman ultimately bought. 

• Love 10

The garden bride has the right body type and personality to look good in just about anything.  I didn't like the two layers on the bottom of the first dress, but I did like the top part of it.  I liked the dress with the flowers, but I think the dress she ended up with was the right one for her. 

The Ireland bride. Like said above, one of my pet peeves with this show is "the dress is over budget."  You are a grown up, offer to pay the difference rather than expecting mommy and daddy to pay for every last penny.  I was pleasantly surprised to hear them talk about alterations since that is never mentioned.  The dress she ended up with would look nice for an Ireland castle wedding. 

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Lisa418722 said:

The garden bride has the right body type and personality to look good in just about anything.  I didn't like the two layers on the bottom of the first dress, but I did like the top part of it.  I liked the dress with the flowers, but I think the dress she ended up with was the right one for her. 

I agree.  The two layers looked mismatched with the top of the dress.  If the bride liked it that much and had the time and money, I'm sure Pnina could've designed something different for the bottom of the dress.  I liked the dress she ended up with.  She was stunning!

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I agree.  The two layers looked mismatched with the top of the dress.  If the bride liked it that much and had the time and money, I'm sure Pnina could've designed something different for the bottom of the dress.  I liked the dress she ended up with.  She was stunning!

I was thinking the same thing.  We saw Pnina there, and she has done alterations to her gowns before, so I'm sure she would have worked with her on the bottom half.  But, like I said in my last post, the second dress was more fitting for her venue.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

Did the castle in Ireland bride mention which castle? I hoped they would show her wedding at the end.

They did, but I don't remember the name!  Maybe they'll show some clips of it in some future episode, as they are doing now with brides who shopped at Kleinfeld's in the past.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, maggiegil said:

Did anyone find the pockets that were in the Pnina dress the bride getting married in Dublin chose were in the wrong place to be flattering? I felt like having them right over the stomach rather than nearer the hips like most pockets made them look really strange.

Noticed that too. Pockets were way too close to her front. Also noticed 2 in her entourage were in similar blue dresses with high suits. Pretty fancy. And Botantical bride smiled way too much and insincerely.

• Love 2