Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don’t understand people who let their relatives hold them hostage for a dress. Pay for your own dress even if you have to go with less expensive and/or cut back on other areas of your wedding. I agree the styles weren’t the most flattering on that bride but if she had a better consultant and less annoying relatives, she may have had a chance to find something more flattering. 

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, rur said:

And finally, I couldn't help but compare her consultant to the one last week in a similar situation who said, "I'm here to serve the bride." Antonella seemed to be listening much more to what Kayla's relatives wanted than what Kayla was asking for. When she put her into a second ballgown before letting her try a dress she wanted, I got a little irritated. 

They held the purse strings -- unlimited budget!

I deleted the episode so I can't check, but didn't the consultant suggest the $econd dre$$ $olution?

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

I deleted the episode so I can't check, but didn't the consultant suggest the $econd dre$$ $olution?

I believe she did.  What a shocking and novel idea!!  ;)  

I wonder if an A-line dress might've been right for her.  It wouldn't have been as full as a ball gown, but that style can be flowy and still have a train.  I felt bad that her mom and uncle hijacked her appointment.   She didn't look 100% happy with that ball gown.  I'm hoping that once it's fitted to her, it'll look better.  It was too full at the waist.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:
4 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I believe she did.  What a shocking and novel idea!!  ;)  

What a shocking and novel idea to increase one's commission.

• Love 2
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

What a shocking and novel idea to increase one's commission.

Oh, but the two dresses 'only' cost $7000 total!  A mere drop in the bucket.  I'm sure the consultants are mourning the loss of Pnina whose monstrosities started at around 8 grand.

The new 'tradition' where the bride has two expensive dresses for a single day just seems so unnecessary and wasteful to me.  I also wanted to shout at the TV when Asian Indian bride was shocked to discover that final alterations were needed and talked about how terrible it was that her family couldn't see the dress fitting her perfectly from the start.  I wanted to tell her they undoubtedly love her but are really not all that invested in her wedding dress as long as it was tasteful.  They don't care, honey.

I was hoping to see more of her Hindu ceremony and reception because I've been to a couple and they are beautiful, colorful, filled with tradition and generally an amazing good time.  Since Kleinfeld's doesn't carry bridal saris, I'm not surprised we didn't see much of it, but it was probably more fun than the Catholic wedding.  And I say that as a Catholic.

I also agree that none of the dresses Kayla tried seemed to flatter her figure.  Made me long for the old days on this show when consultants like Keisha would take a look at the bride and make good suggestions and pull dresses to show her how good she could look.  I also thought her mother and her uncle behaved abominably.  She is 30 years old, she gets to choose her own clothes.  Looking at the pics of her as a little girl and the butt-ugly colors and styles that mama and uncle chose for her; it's not surprising they wanted something over the top for her wedding.

While I'm complaining, those side cutouts on the dresses which seem to be the new trend are an abomination.  They look cheap and mess with the way the dress lies, causing unsightly bulges and creases, IMO.

Edited by Notabug
  • Applause 1
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, Notabug said:

The new 'tradition' where the bride has two expensive dresses for a single day just seems so unnecessary and wasteful to me. 

Randy Fenoli agrees with you!!  I just read an article where he shared his opinion on that, and I agree too.  Maybe there's a few circumstances where a shorter, less constricting dress might be better for the reception, but if I spent thousands on a wedding dress, I'd want to stay in it as long as I could! 

28 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I also thought her mother and her uncle behaved abominably.  She is 30 years old, she gets to choose her own clothes.

Yes, and yes!!  They've probably ruined her self-esteem and her ability to pick something out for herself.

29 minutes ago, Notabug said:

While I'm complaining, those side cutouts on the dresses which seem to be the new trend are an abomination.

I didn't like the side cutouts on the ballgown that she chose.  Maybe it'll look better once it's fitted to her, but it didn't look good to me. 

• Love 4

I agree that Kayla's figure looked much better in a ballgown, but I didn't care for the one she settled on.  There was so much fabric in her chest that it looked like it overwhelmed her.  I thought the bodice on the first ballgown was better, although, it's possible when the one she chose is fitted properly it will look better.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Notabug said:

The new 'tradition' where the bride has two expensive dresses for a single day just seems so unnecessary and wasteful to me. 

This trend used to be reserved to just people who had tons of money to just spend on whatever.  And the dresses used to be different enough.  Sort of like destination bachelorette parties used to be for those with just tons of extra cash.

But now, just like those bachelorette parties have trickled down, the dual dress thing is spreading too.  And the extra rich?  They're now getting dresses for the rehearsal dinner, ceremony, dinner, reception and then the after party. 

1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Maybe there's a few circumstances where a shorter, less constricting dress might be better for the reception, but if I spent thousands on a wedding dress, I'd want to stay in it as long as I could! 

Right.  But what gets me is they're not even getting practical reception dresses as a second dress.  The second dresses are just as restrictive.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'd bet good money that Kayla's mother "accidentally" spills red wine on the reception dress on the big day, forcing Kayla to wear the ball gown all day. She clearly meant to control the appointment with her "unlimited budget for a ball gown" decree and was NOT happy about being outmaneuvered with the two dresses plan. She's definitely going to be pouting and whining about it for a long time. Awful woman.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Notabug said:

Since Kleinfeld's doesn't carry bridal saris, I'm not surprised we didn't see much of it, but it was probably more fun than the Catholic wedding.  And I say that as a Catholic.

Definitely.  Although I became a non-Catholic in 1965, many of my relatives/classmates/ friends still follow the faith...so I've been to MANY Catholic weddings.  Receptions are great ... weddings--nice enough.  A 2022 wedding is pretty much the same as a 1964 wedding.

4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I thought both parties had be Catholic for a Church wedding, blessed by a priest?

NOPE!   My Catholic mother and Episcopalian father were married in the Catholic Church in 1938.   I was Catholic and my fiance` was a non-practicing Episcopalian when we were getting married in 1964.  In my parish he had to take six "classes" on my beliefs and his responsibilities.  Many of my relatives...in recent generations had "mixed marriages" with no problems.  In "my day," the non-Catholic spouse had to be baptised in some/any religion, but I've heard even that is no longer a requirement.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I thought both parties had be Catholic for a Church wedding, blessed by a priest?

I sing for weddings in my Catholic parish and most of the time when one of the couple isn’t Catholic, they have a wedding ceremony without the Mass, performed by either a priest or a deacon. 

• Useful 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

As long as one is Catholic is the requirement.

Edited by cameron
13 hours ago, Notabug said:

Oh, but the two dresses 'only' cost $7000 total!  A mere drop in the bucket.  I'm sure the consultants are mourning the loss of Pnina whose monstrosities started at around 8 grand.

Pnina* is still at Kleinfeld. She was gone for a period of 15 months, but returned in August of 2021.

*When I typed in "Pnina", autocorrect changed it to "Onions". 😂🤣😂🤣

• Useful 1
  • LOL 11
13 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I agree that Kayla's figure looked much better in a ballgown, but I didn't care for the one she settled on.  There was so much fabric in her chest that it looked like it overwhelmed her.  I thought the bodice on the first ballgown was better, although, it's possible when the one she chose is fitted properly it will look better.

It was horrible on her, the wrong waistline, bust line, everything. She will hate every single photo from the wedding.  It was almost as tho her mother and uncle wanted to make her look bad.  Unlimited budget for a ball gown and that is the "one?" 

There is something lacking in this season, I cannot put my finger on it. Is it too quiet? Too bare bones, something just is so off.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

There is something lacking in this season, I cannot put my finger on it. Is it too quiet? Too bare bones, something just is so off.

Didn't they used to show the brides trying on more dresses?  I feel like these last couple of seasons it's been two and many times they'd try the first one on a second time.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Didn't they used to show the brides trying on more dresses?  I feel like these last couple of seasons it's been two and many times they'd try the first one on a second time.

Plus not much variety. Everything has looked the same, especially week 1 with the overskirt or whatever that thing was. More dresses please, less family/entourage nonsense.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It might be many things. I've noticed that the brides coming in for fittings are now in the upstairs bridal salon, instead of the downstairs fitting rooms we've seen before. My first thought was that they weren't getting enough people upstairs to film, but then I decided there are enough people out there who want their 15 minutes of fame, no matter how bad it makes them look, that there has to be something else going on. What it could be, I don't know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BAForever said:

Plus not much variety. Everything has looked the same, especially week 1 with the overskirt or whatever that thing was. More dresses please, less family/entourage nonsense.

I know! I feel like I'm seeing the same few dresses over and over.  I wish they could get brides on camera who tried on some of the ones that you see on the mannequins or the other women we see in the background.  So often I've seen one in the background and think "That looks pretty-someone needs to try that one on." 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I know! I feel like I'm seeing the same few dresses over and over.  I wish they could get brides on camera who tried on some of the ones that you see on the mannequins or the other women we see in the background.  So often I've seen one in the background and think "That looks pretty-someone needs to try that one on." 

That's how I felt watching previous seasons when they'd promote Pnina dresses heavily, especially that one Pnina ballgown with the pleats and the heavy rhinestones on the bodice.  Also, don't forget about the Hailey Page and Lazzaro season.

They must get a kickback from the designer to feature certain dresses because another thing I've noticed is that even if some brides come in with a picture of a dress they have been itching to try on the consultant will either talk them out of it due to that dress being out of the brides budget or tell them that they won't like the way it looks on. 

• Love 3

Yeah they seem to always be "featuring" something, whether a designer or a look.  And what bugs me is how they boast about having thousands of dresses, but then it seems like each bride gets three to choose from and they act like there's nothing else in the world.  I find myself enjoying some of the "weirdo" brides who would normally get on my nerves, because at least they go for something different!

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, princelina said:

Yeah they seem to always be "featuring" something, whether a designer or a look.  And what bugs me is how they boast about having thousands of dresses, but then it seems like each bride gets three to choose from and they act like there's nothing else in the world.  I find myself enjoying some of the "weirdo" brides who would normally get on my nerves, because at least they go for something different!

Maybe COVID restrictions impacted filming and production. I think there were probably still restrictions in NYC when this was filmed.

My understanding is that a *normal* appointment at Kleinfeld is about an hour and a bride doesn't try on a huge number of dresses. Realistically I would think that most brides have done a lot of research in terms of looking at dresses in magazines and on-line.

I would imagine in real life many brides don't buy on the first appointment. I don't think that is unique to Kleinfeld as I don't imagine most brides purchase a dress the first time they go shopping anyplace. 

I have been watching SYTD since its first season and the dresses always seem to go through a trend when many of them look alike. In the first seasons almost every bride wanted a strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline that was fitted to below the knees and there were some brides who looked really terrible in that style.

There was an Indian bride who got both dresses at K many seasons ago. The red dress was a beautiful Pnina ballgown Not stripper fairy at all but very simple and elegant. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Nope.  I believe they do have to agree to raise any children as Catholics, though.  I suspect quite a few couples cross their fingers on that one, though.

The Catholic Church also requires pre-Cana classes for couples wanting to marry in the church.  Used to be there were multiple scheduled sessions, often involving multiple couples, but, nowadays, it seems like a lot of couples just sign up for a quick visit with the pastor or other officiant and get signed off for the church wedding without taking the classes

11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Definitely.  Although I became a non-Catholic in 1965, many of my relatives/classmates/ friends still follow the faith...so I've been to MANY Catholic weddings.  Receptions are great ... weddings--nice enough.  A 2022 wedding is pretty much the same as a 1964 wedding.

I should've been more clear.  Hindu wedding ceremonies last about an hour and a half and most of it is in Sanskrit, a language that virtually no one but Hindu priests speak.  So, at least as long as a Catholic Mass. The rituals of the ceremony are interesting, but you need a narrator or a good written guide to follow.  I was lucky enough to have both at the first one I attended. 

There are also multiple pre-wedding ceremonies and rituals which are interesting, too.  The show showed a little of the Mehndi ceremony for the female family members usually a few days prior to the wedding.  The night before is usually a big party with the two families dancing according to their local traditions. There is also a pre-wedding ceremony for the groom's family shortly before the wedding which is run by the priest and involves the groom and the eldest male family member.  The groom arriving on horseback with drummers and the bride's father paying the drummers to signal her family's approval of the marriage and welcoming the groom's family is also pretty cool.

The reception is filled with women and men in colorful clothing and lots of dancing and clapping and general joy.  Even the oldest members of the families will get up and dance.  Lots of amazing food and total fun.

• Applause 1
(edited)

Covid really hurt the show and Kelinfeld's business.     They had a limited entourage, Randy was working from home for a long time, because he wanted to limit the risk to his mother.   Also, NYC had strict limitations for a long time.   I bet now they have huge waiting lists to get on the show, and to come to Kleinfeld's for regular appointments.     

Actually no discounts for being on the show, however for trunk shows when a specific designer has a special event, the designers have discounts or incentives.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 2
34 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Nope.  I believe they do have to agree to raise any children as Catholics, though.  I suspect quite a few couples cross their fingers on that one, though.

The Catholic Church also requires pre-Cana classes for couples wanting to marry in the church.  Used to be there were multiple scheduled sessions, often involving multiple couples, but, nowadays, it seems like a lot of couples just sign up for a quick visit with the pastor or other officiant and get signed off for the church wedding without taking the classes

As a Catholic; I always thought those pre-can classes were dumb.  I was 23 and my husband 28 when we got married and both practicing Catholics.  Had to take those classes with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds who wanted to discuss boy's night out.  What a waste of our time.  Church really needs to get rid of this.

21 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think they get 10 or 15% off the dress for being on the show. 

I'm not so sure about this ^^^.  I thought the only benefit the brides got from being on the show was...being on the show.

33 minutes ago, cameron said:

As a Catholic; I always thought those pre-can classes were dumb.  I was 23 and my husband 28 when we got married and both practicing Catholics.  Had to take those classes with a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds who wanted to discuss boy's night out.  What a waste of our time.  Church really needs to get rid of this.

It depends on who you get that teaches your class. I got married 27 years ago and we had a great couple who talked about conflict resolution and what to do about differing goals and values. I do wonder what the priest who married us would have said if I walked down the aisle is a see thru dress or one with super low cleavage!

7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I missed the first episode of this season, but going by the last episode, it was eerily quiet in the store!  They said that they were having a trunk sale, so I thought they might be limiting clients.  They really need the energy from the other brides and their families while they're filming.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

It depends on who you get that teaches your class. I got married 27 years ago and we had a great couple who talked about conflict resolution and what to do about differing goals and values. I do wonder what the priest who married us would have said if I walked down the aisle is a see thru dress or one with super low cleavage!

An acquaintance was a military chaplain, and at the height of the stripper-fairy craze, I asked him if he ever said that the ceremony will continue after the bride puts on more clothes.   He said that doesn't happen often, but it does happen.   Usually, someone intercepts the bride before the march down the aisle.   The chaplain's wife was there and I guess watched SYTTD, and said that a lot of the gowns on the show would require a covering of some kind.  

27 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

Think it also has to do with how old and the maturity level of the couple.  I personally don't think you can teach conflict resolution, different goals, etc.  Based it on being successfully married for over 50 years.  Must have done something right and it wasn't taught to us.

(edited)
4 hours ago, roughing it said:

I'm not so sure about this ^^^.  I thought the only benefit the brides got from being on the show was...being on the show.

You're right, no discounts.   However, there are sale dresses, and during a trunk show the designer will typically give discounts or incentives.    Then, there are the blow-out sales, where dresses are hugely discounted, but you have to buy them first come, first served.     

I should have researched first.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
28 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

You're right, no discounts.   However, there are sale dresses, and during a trunk show the designer will typically give discounts or incentives.    

I should have researched first.   

The famous brides do get free dresses.

When Omarosa was part of the Trump Administration she had to disclose gifts she had received and one of them was a $25,000 wedding dress from Kleinfeld. I remember the episode. I would imagine that other "celebrity" also get their dresses comped but the *regular* brides don't get a discount.

However - for better or worse - they do have a much longer appointment than the normal bride as they shoot for many hours although it is edited to make it seem as if the appointment is the normal hour appointment.

• Useful 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, Notabug said:

I should've been more clear.  Hindu wedding ceremonies last about an hour and a half and most of it is in Sanskrit, a language that virtually no one but Hindu priests speak.  So, at least as long as a Catholic Mass.

I didn't consider the "length" of the ceremony when giving my Catholic+non-Catholic information.  As far as I remember we mixed-marriage couples couldn't have a MASS ... just a  traditional ceremony with nice music, same "clothing" formalities for the priest and the couple...just no Mass. Quite a bit shorter.  I think we weren't positioned as close to the altar as a Catholic+Catholic couple would be...but memories fade.

My wedding took place in 1964...before there was a Pre-Cana Course.  A priest handled the six one-hour lessons--I attended a couple of them, but my fiance was required to attend most on his own.

Edited by Back Atcha
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Skills in conflict resolution can be taught and is taught in many settings. Not saying everyone needs it, just saying not all pre marriage counseling is bad. 

Skills can be taught but it does take a certain personality to be able to incorporate and practice them.  I don't see how different values can be worked through.  A church is always going to be on the side of the "church way" but pre-marital counseling can be exceptionally useful to force couples to discuss the big things like whether or not they're going to have children, how many, how will they be cared for, finances...etc.  Too many couples don't discuss these things before getting married, surprisingly. 

As for Pnina and her expensive gowns.  From what I remember about her on the show, the brides would always try on the $10,000+ Pnina dresses but end up going with one of her lower cost gowns anyway.

6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

He said that doesn't happen often, but it does happen.   Usually, someone intercepts the bride before the march down the aisle.   The chaplain's wife was there and I guess watched SYTTD, and said that a lot of the gowns on the show would require a covering of some kind. 

As a guest, I would be embarrassed for a bride if she walked down the aisle in something too revealing.  Some of the dresses at Kleinfeld's leave nothing to the imagination!!  I'm okay with being old-fashioned and wanting a little modesty, especially if the ceremony will be held in a church.  You don't steal from the church, and you don't show up half-naked at one either!!  ;)  

• Like 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

An acquaintance was a military chaplain, and at the height of the stripper-fairy craze, I asked him if he ever said that the ceremony will continue after the bride puts on more clothes.   He said that doesn't happen often, but it does happen.   Usually, someone intercepts the bride before the march down the aisle.   The chaplain's wife was there and I guess watched SYTTD, and said that a lot of the gowns on the show would require a covering of some kind.  

My church states up front that the entire bridal party must be dressed in a way that is respectful to the venue and that the priest performing the ceremony can bar any participant who is not properly dressed including the bride and/or groom. They even recommend sending a photo of the outfit in question if there is any question as to whether an outfit meets the standards,

Last week's 'snack' bride, who was planning a traditional Catholic ceremony in a church,  specifically mentioned modesty rules and asked her mother whether various dresses would work.  Then, she went and chose a dress cut to the navel in front.  Just one more reason she was an idiot,  The priest is conducting a wedding, not doing a mammogram.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
On 7/17/2022 at 8:09 PM, ChitChat said:
On 7/17/2022 at 7:39 PM, Notabug said:

Randy Fenoli agrees with you!!  I just read an article where he shared his opinion on that, and I agree too.

I’d like to see that article.  Can you post the link?

8 hours ago, Notabug said:

Actually, only the Catholic is required to sign anything, and they are promising to do their best to raise children in the Catholic faith.  No crossed fingers really needed.

We loved our pre-Cana, but it was an overnight retreat structured with a couple speaking on a topic for 10-15 minutes, sending the couples apart to write answers to questions, and then having the couples spend time alone discussing our answers.  Most of the topics my now husband and I had already discussed, but not necessarily in the depth they requested.  My only annoyance was that I had to room with a young girl and my now husband was with her fiancé; they heavily pressured us to switch for the night and were mad that we wouldn’t.

I hate the stripper dresses and the illusion netting and don’t understand how tacky became sexy.  

I have to go yell at people to get off my lawn now.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, Crs97 said:
21 hours ago, Notabug said:

Actually, only the Catholic is required to sign anything, and they are promising to do their best to raise children in the Catholic faith.  No crossed fingers really needed.

Again, this was in the 60s and before the formal Pre-Cana conferences.  My fiance WAS required to agree to raise any children Catholic AND...attest to the fact (I know this is weird) that he was not/had not been a Mason or a member of a Mason-affiliated organization.  This was in one of the priest's classes he attended without me.  He told me that he "agreed," but "Of course, I'm NOT going to raise my children Catholic!"  I thought it was funny, because he hadn't attended church since he was 12yrs old...when his parents dropped him off every Sunday because he liked being in the childrens' choir.  (I was VERY Catholic; what did he think was going to happen?)  Also, in high school and junior college he had been active in DeMoLay, a Masonic organization for young men. He lied about that.  Silly me...I didn't even get the hint that I was marrying a LIAR!!!

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Again, this was in the 60s and before the formal Pre-Cana conferences.  My fiance WAS required to agree to raise any children Catholic AND...attest to the fact (I know this is weird) that he was not a Mason or a member of a Mason-affiliated organization

By the late ‘80’s when I attended Catholics on Campus at my university and marriage was always a topic, the priests said, “Why would we make someone promise to raise a child in a faith they don’t know?  Only the Catholic signs, and even then they are just promising to do their best, not guaranteeing an outcome.”

Magemaud, that picture always makes me laugh!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

By the late ‘80’s when I attended Catholics on Campus at my university and marriage was always a topic, the priests said, “Why would we make someone promise to raise a child in a faith they don’t know?  Only the Catholic signs, and even then they are just promising to do their best, not guaranteeing an outcome.”

Magemaud, that picture always makes me laugh!

That was a smart priest.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2022 at 12:05 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

I was annoyed by how the mom and uncle disregarded Kayla's preferences and literally laughed at her. There was a gown shown during one their 2 second interstitials I thought was really beautiful, with the crossed fabric on the bodice. Clean, elegant and lovely. Of course it was just blipped by.

The mom and uncle were terrible. And I know just what dress you mean--I actually backed up the recording to see it again. It would be very flattering, I think.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:35 AM, amarante said:

I would imagine in real life many brides don't buy on the first appointment. I don't think that is unique to Kleinfeld as I don't imagine most brides purchase a dress the first time they go shopping anyplace. 

I picked a dress out of a magazine and took the picture with me to my first and only appointment. Tried that one on, tried on two others to make sure, bought the one I came in for. Out in like 45 minutes. I am pretty decisive about shopping so perhaps I am an anomaly.

• Love 3
On 7/17/2022 at 8:09 PM, ChitChat said:
On 7/17/2022 at 7:39 PM, Notabug said:

Randy Fenoli agrees with you!!  I just read an article where he shared his opinion on that, and I agree