Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Didn't realise this started back in Australia and missed 9 episodes...oops.

Up, that newbie consultant, with the undone tie and shirt undone down to his groin......well almost.  Very sloppy appearance.

• Love 1

Just saw where Gok Wan of  SYTTD England  received an MBE award from Princess Anne.  Yay for him!!

"The fashion stylist and How To Look Good Naked presenter collected an MBE for services to fashion and social awareness under his birth name of Kowkhyn Wan from the Princess Royal at a ceremony at Windsor Castle.

Wan, 47, said his pride on the day of receiving the award is “right up there” with anything he has done, and he is pleased that his “passion” of raising social awareness had been recognized."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, Nessa said:

Are y'all getting repeats in the US too?  It's been a while since a new ep aired here in Australia.

The network that shows Say Yes rotates its primetime lineup as they run out of new shows and, so, right now, another reality show is running first run episodes in Say Yes' Saturday night slot.  They do show reruns sometimes throughout the week in non-primetime slots.

There most recent season of new episodes ended in late September and we probably won't be getting any new episodes until after the first of the year, if then.  There have been a lot of issues with production due to the pandemic.  Often, TLC alternates and so we get a string of new episodes from NYC/Kleinfelds and then the next series will be in Atlanta.

Looking at TLC's website, there doesn't seem to be any announcement as to when the next season of either version will premiere.

The 2 stories were so different. The first bride had a weird relationship with her sister. Don't think the groom would think having the sister there on the wedding night too funny. And the poor staff that probably has to clean all those headpieces the entourage wore. So rude.

I expected the bride with 4 sisters to have a hard time getting everyone on the same page. But they were all nice! Not sure I needed Randy adding his 2 cents to their story.

Loved the bride's retro wedding. That dress was perfect for her. 

• Love 4

Lovely dress, terrible tattoos. The TWA Hotel is definitely a vibe.

Had Randy ever mentioned his sister before? If he did I don't remember. The gaggle of sisters reminded me of the Mandrells, especially the hair and makeup. But they seem like a lovely, close knit family that had an awful tragedy and I'm glad they were able to stay together and out of the system.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I loved the venue. 

I didn't love either of the dresses today.  I don't know if I've mentioned it before (spoiler alert: I have) but I hate those stupid  removable half overskirts.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I loved the venue. 

I didn't love either of the dresses today.  I don't know if I've mentioned it before (spoiler alert: I have) but I hate those stupid  removable half overskirts.

I thought the overskirt dress she chose made her look much bigger than she actually was. And why must all wedding dresses be cut down to the navel? I hate the illusion-fabric-in-the-ridiculously-low-V-neck look. <shakes cane and puts it away>

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

Count me in on the dislike of over skirts. This one was particularly bulky where it attached at her hips, and looked like a pair of heavy drapes. Such a shame, because her figure was lovely and the dress itself was nice.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I hate the illusion-fabric-in-the-ridiculously-low-V-neck look.

Me, too, I think it makes some women look "chicken breasted." 

And Kerry, because you gave me permission to yell at you on my television, I did just that. When you weren't scowling with your RBF or spouting trendy phrases, I thought you were obnoxiously attention seeking and trying much too hard to be quirky and funny. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The 2 stories were so different. The first bride had a weird relationship with her sister. Don't think the groom would think having the sister there on the wedding night too funny. And the poor staff that probably has to clean all those headpieces the entourage wore. So rude.

I expected the bride with 4 sisters to have a hard time getting everyone on the same page. But they were all nice! Not sure I needed Randy adding his 2 cents to their story.

Bride no. 1 and her family were something else.  Producer must dig really deep to come up with these kind of people.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Granted I don't find tattoos densely populating a body to be particularly attractive, but I see that I am not alone in finding the bride's tattoos particularly wretched looking.

Perhaps someone can explain what the aesthetic vision is when someone does that to their body - and on parts of the body which are going to be on display wearing *normal* clothing.

It is ugly now and I shudder to think of what her arms will look like in 30 years when the age has taken its toll.

And yes - those overskirts are really hideous. Maybe they look more "integrated" with the actual dress but both of them just made the lines of the dress look off and the bride look lumpen.

I would think that if one had the need for a "flowing" dress for the ceremony a full skirt would make more aesthetic sense since it would look integrated. There have been a few of those styles and they looked normal.

The style the bride chose reminds me of those stupid "at home" pants that women would wear in the 1950's with a half skirt worn over the pants. Luci wore them sometimes in I Love Lucy and Auntie Mame also wore them in Auntie Mame - I think the episode when she had redecorated the apartment in a vaguely Asian motif. 

Randy has talked a lot about his mother but I can't recall his ever mentioning his sister. That would have been a special relationship because the sister would have been old enough for her to be more than just a sibling. Losing a sibling is hard. I wasn't super close to my brother and he died as a relatively young adult. You lose your past because if it is your only sibling, there is no one else who experienced your childhood. I would have loved to have been able to reminisce and figure out our parents from a more *mature* point of view.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1

When Kerry's family was questioning whether or not she could dance in one of the dresses because of the train, I was surprised the consultant didn't suggest "bustling" the train. Or maybe that's not done anymore? 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, amarante said:

Perhaps someone can explain what the aesthetic vision is when someone does that to their body - and on parts of the body which are going to be on display wearing *normal* clothing.

I'm not a big fan of tattoos but they don't bother me as much as others.  I remember when the bride first came in to get her dress so I got used to them.

The vision is an artistic vision.  The tattoos usually have personal meaning.  It's the kind of thing that, at a distance, it isn't that appealing but people can't help but be curious once they see them close up.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, magemaud said:

When Kerry's family was questioning whether or not she could dance in one of the dresses because of the train, I was surprised the consultant didn't suggest "bustling" the train. Or maybe that's not done anymore? 

Maybe folks have forgotten about bustles and how to do them because I've seen so many weddings across my social media feeds of these long ass trains just dragging the floor and being in the way. I'm like they should have bustled that.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, magemaud said:

I wondered the same thing. How are you going to dance with a train dragging behind you? I thought bustling the train was fairly standard in such a circumstance. Or, since it was her second dress (she was one of those brides who just loves to waste money that way), just buy one without a train!

I mean, I'm biased because I don't think a wedding is about everyone admiring the bride in multiple costumes (and spending extra money to do it!). And when I bought my dress, I had the train removed because I was getting married outside and thought dragging a train across the ground was not a good look.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Or, since it was her second dress (she was one of those brides who just loves to waste money that way), just buy one without a train!

That seems to be a new trend, instead of going to the trouble of having your wedding gown "bustled" for the reception, just get a SECOND gown! As an added bonus, you get to make two grand entrances in the same day! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, magemaud said:

That seems to be a new trend, instead of going to the trouble of having your wedding gown "bustled" for the reception, just get a SECOND gown! As an added bonus, you get to make two grand entrances in the same day! 

I loved my one dress so much, changing into a second never crossed my mind.  Randy had a good point in an interview I just read. He said when brides change to a second dress they can miss up to an hour of the reception. Who wants that?

• Love 2
21 hours ago, amarante said:

The style the bride chose reminds me of those stupid "at home" pants that women would wear in the 1950's with a half skirt worn over the pants. Luci wore them sometimes in I Love Lucy and Auntie Mame also wore them in Auntie Mame - I think the episode when she had redecorated the apartment in a vaguely Asian motif. 

I loved that look, it was so elegant! I have secretly always wanted an outfit like that. 

The bride covered in tattoos, meh there are many women who look like they have been run thru a printing press I am just glad she got rid of that Kool Aid colored red hair, the brunette looks so much better.  

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I loved that look, it was so elegant! I have secretly always wanted an outfit like that. 

The bride covered in tattoos, meh there are many women who look like they have been run thru a printing press I am just glad she got rid of that Kool Aid colored red hair, the brunette looks so much better.  

I should have clarified that I loved the original look with pants as it flowed - as shown in the two versions on Say Yes they looked bulky and spoiled the lines of the original dress.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, BAForever said:

He said when brides change to a second dress they can miss up to an hour of the reception. Who wants that?

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Those of us introverts may not mind. 

I get a second dress if it's much lighter, shorter and easier to move around in.  But what brides end up doing is get something equally as restrictive as their first dress with a ton of fabric.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/10/2022 at 9:36 AM, amarante said:

Granted I don't find tattoos densely populating a body to be particularly attractive, but I see that I am not alone in finding the bride's tattoos particularly wretched looking.

You'd actually be surprised.  Senior citizens with tattoos don't look as bad as you'd think.  Personally, I'm not crazy about tattoos sleeving the arms, but I'm more inclined to like it if it follows a theme (aquatic, jungle, flowers, whatever) as opposed to random tattoos that have no relationship to each other littering the arms.

I was so hoping we'd get some different dresses, but I feel like we've seen the one with the over skirt a couple of dozen times already.  I didn't like the mermaid dress that the other woman chose, either.  I hate the style anyway, but that one, imo, was particularly ugly.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

You'd actually be surprised.  Senior citizens with tattoos don't look as bad as you'd think.

Of course, it depends on the senior citizen.  I'm 82 and was a freckled redhead.  I have very thin skin...so I have wrinkly-wrinkly arms.  There's NO WAY tattoos would have survived my aging skin.  

• Useful 1
On 7/10/2022 at 12:21 PM, magemaud said:

And Kerry, because you gave me permission to yell at you on my television, I did just that. When you weren't scowling with your RBF or spouting trendy phrases, I thought you were obnoxiously attention seeking and trying much too hard to be quirky and funny. 

Ugh - her whole entourage was like that too!  I loved the family of girls who were nice to each other.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, princelina said:

Ugh - her whole entourage was like that too!  I loved the family of girls who were nice to each other.

Even Kerry's mother acted like an idiot. I agree, Gretchen and her sisters were much more likeable. They had a sad backstory, but were able to stay together and apparently all are doing well. I couldn't help but wonder how they could all afford matching LV shoes. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Even Kerry's mother acted like an idiot. I agree, Gretchen and her sisters were much more likeable. They had a sad backstory, but were able to stay together and apparently all are doing well. I couldn't help but wonder how they could all afford matching LV shoes. 

I thought they said Gretchen bought them all as a gift!

• Like 1

Glad this show is back! Irish bride and her family were just silly-putting on tiaras and trying on clothes-and where did they get so tan? I'm 98% of Irish descent and no way could I ever get that brown. (Not that I try-the sun is not my friend). I also do not care for the overskirts. They ruin the lines of the dress and make everything look bulky. The 4 sisters story was sweet-they had a hard life but managed to stick together and supported each other. Tattoo bride looked nice even though her skin illustrations were kind of ugly. I would have worn long sleeves so not to detract from her pretty dress.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:30 PM, magemaud said:

Oh, I missed that, but it makes sense. Nice bridesmaids gift! 

Someone or all of them or the prospective groom had money I suspect since the bride also said her budget was $10,000. 

Their venue looked as though it was also pricey and I imagine that they would have a large guest list as well which generally means a costly wedding.

Odd they splurged on Vuitton shoes as Vuitton isn't particularly known for their shoes. It would have made more sense to splurge on Louboutin shoes and Manolo Blahnik still makes the shoe that Carrie wore in her original Sex & The City wedding.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, amarante said:

Odd they splurged on Vuitton shoes as Vuitton isn't particularly known for their shoes.

Personally, I thought their shiny, flesh colored shoes were ugly, designer or not. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Personally, I thought their shiny, flesh colored shoes were ugly, designer or not. 

I agree as I don't like the nude patent leather shoes by any brand. Nude colored shoes in a matte leather are quite nice though as they give a visual illusion of elongating the leg and are slimming versus dark shoes which cut off the visual line. Of course "nude" depends on a person's individual leg color so I was referencing light tone skin legs that would blend in with a light cream or beige shoe.

But if one is going to splurge on designer shoes, Vuitton seems an odd choice.

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

What a contrast between TWA bride and Irish "snack" bride.  I actually teared up during TWA bride's segment, as she was trying to balance the happiness of her wedding to the heartbreak of recently losing her dad.   Gretchen's dress was gorgeous, but much better without the overskirt, which looked ridiculous.

Snack bride was just as ugly in personality as the dress she chose.

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, amarante said:

Odd they splurged on Vuitton shoes as Vuitton isn't particularly known for their shoes. It would have made more sense to splurge on Louboutin shoes and Manolo Blahnik still makes the shoe that Carrie wore in her original Sex & The City wedding.

They are Louboutins; in one of the scenes the red soles were visible.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, amarante said:
14 hours ago, magemaud said:

I agree as I don't like the nude patent leather shoes by any brand.

Nude "patent leather" looks cheap.

14 hours ago, amarante said:

Nude colored shoes in a matte leather are quite nice though as they give a visual illusion of elongating the leg 

Carol Burnett taught me that 50+years ago (not personally).   

• Wink 2
2 hours ago, Marisagf said:

Snack bride was the worst with all of her lingo/catchphrases!

I really hate the brides and their entourage with their fake "shtick". They think they are cute and I think they are ridiculous.

But I agree that "snack bride" was among the worst. She must have really searched for something that would be that stupid.

Also I think she especially looked stupid because she was on a segment with the lovely sisters. When they first came on I was prepared to despise them and assumed one or more would attempt to take over the appointment and veto the bride's aesthetic vision. 

But they really surprised me. While they obviously had ideas of what was flattering I got the sense that what was most important was that the bride loved her dress. They were obviously so happy that the bride found a beautiful dress that she loved. 

They didn't even need their sad story to make them very lovely sympathetic bride and entourage. Genuine true love among all of them.

I do wonder how they were so wealthy though. Between the venue, the $10,000 dress and the expensive entourage gifts. Not that I begrudge them but just wondering what the back story would be.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Ciarrai said:

They are Louboutins; in one of the scenes the red soles were visible.

I think my closed captioning showed Louis Vuitton, but I can understand how that could sound like Louboutins. 

• Useful 1
On 7/10/2022 at 2:20 AM, jcbrown said:

And why must all wedding dresses be cut down to the navel? I hate the illusion-fabric-in-the-ridiculously-low-V-neck look. <shakes cane and puts it away>

Come sit at my table. 

What I don't understand is why so many brides apparently don't understand that they should be wearing some appropriate supportive undergarments. One of the last things I would want preserved for all eternity in my wedding pictures would be some rather saggy breasts.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Kayla's mom and uncle about a ballgown silhouette being more flattering to Kayla's figure than a fit and flare.

The first thing I noticed about Kayla was her small bust (I'm a member of the IBTS myself). The bodice of the blue dress she wore to Kleinfeld wrinkled across the bustline.

When she put on the first ballgown, I thought it looked lovely but I was still all "if she wants to wear fit and flare I'm sure Vera can fill out the bust a bit so let her have what she wants."

But then when she put on the first fit and flare, I realized her body shape is a rectangle. Fit and flare emphasizes a rectangle shape. Note I am not saying she's overweight at all; it's just that she has a small bust, little waist definition, and a fairly flat posterior. I doubt there's more than a very few inches difference between her bust, waist, and hip measurements - hence the rectangle designation.

The ballgown disguised all that and gave her a waist. The appearance of a smaller waist makes the bust look larger. And needless to say, a full skirt gave her hips and a bottom. 😊

I'm hoping Vera can work some magic on the fit and flare Kayla chose for her reception dress to make it more flattering on her, because I know how much Kayla loves it and wants to wear it. I just don't want her to be disappointed about choosing it when she sees the pictures of herself taken during the reception. 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 10

I was annoyed by how the mom and uncle disregarded Kayla's preferences and literally laughed at her. There was a gown shown during one their 2 second interstitials I thought was really beautiful, with the crossed fabric on the bodice. Clean, elegant and lovely. Of course it was just blipped by.

I expect we'll get a follow up on the custom gown when she has her first fitting.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I hate to admit it, but I agree with Kayla's mom and uncle about a ballgown silhouette being more flattering to Kayla's figure than a fit and flare.

It was such a bizarre "either or".

I thought both of the choices for Kayla were not as flattering as they could have been

The ballgown looked exhausting and overwhelmed her. As she was having an outdoor wedding - presumably in the summer - it looked hot. 

The fit and flair was completely unflattering to her body type. I don't think a better fit would have made it more flattering. If she wanted a more "elegant" body conscious dress, there are certainly more flattering shapes available. Although the bride wasn't overweight that kind of body hugging line made her block shape much more obvious and emphasized her stomach. Also if I were actually changing into a dress for the reception, my last choice to have fun and dance would be a tight dress that restricts the movement. When people wear form fitting gowns to an evening party, they typically have a very high slit so that one can move and even sit more comfortably. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I was annoyed by how the mom and uncle disregarded Kayla's preferences and literally laughed at her.

I began to feel quite sorry for Kayla. Based on the pictures we were shown, it looked like these two had been playing dressup with her for most of her life. I could definitely understand why she wouldn't want a ballgown/pageant dress for her wedding. I was a little bit sad that she "compromised." 

That said, while the ballgown was the more flattering of the two dresses she chose, I think she would have been better served with a slightly dropped waist. The fit and flair was a great looking dress, but I kept wondering if she ever looked at herself sideways, since it didn't really flatter her figure. 

And finally, I couldn't help but compare her consultant to the one last week in a similar situation who said, "I'm here to serve the bride." Antonella seemed to be listening much more to what Kayla's relatives wanted than what Kayla was asking for. When she put her into a second ballgown before letting her try a dress she wanted, I got a little irritated. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 7

Two episodes in and not a really amazing dress so far. First bride today would look great in most. Hated the deep plunge in front and illusion netting is fug IMO. No favors were done to Kayla with her choices. Agree with above comments, more attention should have been paid to the silhouette. Uncle Crybaby needs to go. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, TwirlyGirly said:

The first thing I noticed about Kayla was her small bust (I'm a member of the IBTS myself). […] I realized her body shape is a rectangle. Fit and flare emphasizes a rectangle shape. Note I am not saying she's overweight at all; it's just that she has a small bust, little waist definition, and a fairly flat posterior. I doubt there's more than a very few inches difference between her bust, waist, and hip measurements - hence the rectangle designation

She’d look lovely in a 20s/flapper inspired silhouette.

• Love 9