Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Has Pnina stopped paying for exposure? I thought Pnina's style would actually work well for  bodybuilder bride. But yeah, I can see not wanting to pay $7k for a dress worn once.

Panning up Meredith's arms showed many moles, I found myself wondering if she's had them checked by a doctor. Dress looked good.

No nice interstitial dresses this time.

Was watching a rerun from 2020 of the “Kentucky socialite” with the $32k dress.  Wondered if she ever got married.  I couldn’t find anything on line and she seems the type to have pix all over the Internet.  Yeah, there was COVID, but big weddings have been happening for at least a year.  Wonder if she ever got married.  Or was it just a publicity stunt?

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, maggiegil said:

the cheapest alterations at Kleinfelds now start at 995$

Yiiiikes !!!   And the veils ??   I'm always surprised when "the veil" makes so much difference to the brides and families...usually that's what causes them all to say, "YES!"  In most cases, it's a long, long, LONG veil that hangs behind the shoulders.  I can't see how it affects anything.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Yiiiikes !!!   And the veils ??   I'm always surprised when "the veil" makes so much difference to the brides and families...usually that's what causes them all to say, "YES!"  In most cases, it's a long, long, LONG veil that hangs behind the shoulders.  I can't see how it affects anything.

Because wearing a veil is apart of the "I am a bride" look and caps off the look otherwise you're just wearing a white dress IMO. 

So when they put on the veil everyone gets the ah ha moment and is like OH yes this person is getting married.

• Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I wonder with extending the budget that much, if she considered alterations, the cheapest alterations at Kleinfelds now start at 995$

My daughter got married in 2009 and the only alteration her modestly priced gown required was hemming the bottom of the skirt and adding the "French Bustle" which cost $ 750! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

I thought bodybuilder bride was kind of rude. Her attitude was snotty and she really wasted everyone's time. I knew she wasn't going to get the dress she liked-not at that price. Not a surprise she ended up getting the one at the other place. Let them put up with her rudeness. Plus sized bride was making me laugh. She knows she's big and yet doesn't want a plus sized dress? That first one did seem like it was just too much fabric and didn't really flatter her figure. And she got upset when she could'nt fit her arms in the sleeves of that one dress. Sweetie, that's what alterations are for! But she was happy with the dress she decided on so I guess it all worked out in the end. My favorite bride was the one that came in for her fitting. It's amazing what they can do to fit the dress to the person's body. She really did look nice when it was finished.

• Love 5

Watching the third bride last night; how much things have change since I got married in 1968.  Pregnant brides back then didn't make such a production of getting married  with all the accoutrements  (white gown, veil, etc.).  And most certainly wouldn't have announced it at their wedding.  Call me old fashioned.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

If you say your budget is unlimited and then you balk at a 7k dress then you shouldn't have said your budget was unlimited. I wouldn't spend that much so no judgement on that being too much for a dress but I also wouldn't pretend like cost wasn't a factor. I did wonder when the budget was "unlimited" but the dresses Lisa chose were generally on the cheaper side. Usually when the bride says price isn't a factor, they go straight to the 10k+ dresses

Didn't love plus size brides dress, it felt a bit boring to me. I liked her entourage better than I liked her, she was a bit nasty to her Mom at times.

The bride who was in for the fitting had a great personality. The dress was fine and she looked beautiful on her day but I am just so sick of the v neckline with the mesh that I think I'm going to not like any dress I see with that neckline

• Like 4
  • Love 1

The fitting bride kept complaining about her small chest, but when she tried on her gown, she appeared to have quite nice boobs. Then when they announced her pregnancy at the reception, her newfound cleavage all made sense.

pregnancy announcements and even gender reveals appear to be a new wedding trend. My daughter’s sister-in-law had a gender reveal at her rehearsal dinner. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, maggiegil said:

If you say your budget is unlimited and then you balk at a 7k dress then you shouldn't have said your budget was unlimited. I wouldn't spend that much so no judgement on that being too much for a dress but I also wouldn't pretend like cost wasn't a factor. I did wonder when the budget was "unlimited" but the dresses Lisa chose were generally on the cheaper side. Usually when the bride says price isn't a factor, they go straight to the 10k+ dresses

If she didn't have such a bored look on her face and such a rude attitude, I'd have thought that she just wanted to experience trying on expensive dresses and be on tv.  I don't know she was thinking.  Her mother was bugging me, but I liked that her sister seemed to know it was all b.s. and was over it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, maggiegil said:

If you say your budget is unlimited and then you balk at a 7k dress then you shouldn't have said your budget was unlimited.

And you probably shouldn't say that YOU own two gyms...when you have to clarify that you own them with your fiance`.  NO!  HE owns two gyms and you can't afford the dress you're pretending to want.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, carolinagirl81 said:
10 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Because wearing a veil is apart of the "I am a bride" look and caps off the look otherwise you're just wearing a white dress IMO. 

I meant what viewers see.  We rarely see the total look, where something like this does "cap off the look."   

image.thumb.png.2633f4ad0fcd0e7ebe855912d165fa70.png

SEE BELOW:  Most of the "Kleinfeld look" veils are like THIS ... nothing shows from the front. Although the bride and her family might see THESE veils, viewers rarely do.

image.png.ae31ceaf234c34a2b87a99211b16ad25.png

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

And you probably shouldn't say that YOU own two gyms...when you have to clarify that you own them with your fiance`.  NO!  HE owns two gyms and you can't afford the dress you're pretending to want.

If I were a consultant I would roll my eyes if someone said their budget was unlimited because what the hell does that mean.

There are dresses at Kleinfeld that are $25,000 or more. And FWIW if I were spending that kind of money, I wouldn't go to Kleinfeld.

It is like saying that my budget is $X but I can stretch it for the perfect dress. Stretch means $200 and not double the budget like last week's bride. 

Clearly the body builder girl wanted to be on television and probably had already purchased the other dress. I don't think it particularly matters to Kleinfeld for the show since a bride not purchasing a dress is actually more interesting than the normal ones.

Could someone explain what a "plus size" dress looks like and why that dress wasn't a typical plus size style. I mean you can't get more plus size than Kate in This Is Us

First wedding - very flattering because the divided skirt creates an illusion of floating over the body and also dividing the body. The sleeves aren't tight so they provide coverage instead of accenting the sausage shape of the arms.image.jpeg.1d338d374a8ca0d833cc66c99785cad1.jpeg

Second wedding - sleeves are tighter and more of an Empire style high waisted dress which she tends to wear in her non-wedding clothing as well.

image.png.a29331bce51fc5060d0733bea9e133d2.pngimage.png.d791990368c04c3c6a2f7dbc76146238.png

image.thumb.jpeg.4b3a6b92510befb074884b45ffa6147c.jpeg

image.jpeg.1d338d374a8ca0d833cc66c99785cad1.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures of Chrissy Metz. Don't remember her 1st dress, thought her second was lovely and flattering and not totally traditional (like a 2nd wedding dress often is). The Kleinfeld bride had a similar shape to Chrissy. Chrissy prob had a bigger budget and more choices. 😁

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

We rarely see the total look, where something like this "caps off the look."

However, we see tons of tiaras which the bride's entourage often likes to model. 

I agree, that piece of tulle attached to a comb on the back of the bride's head really doesn't make the dress look any more "bridal." 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Maisiesmom said:

Plus sized bride was making me laugh. She knows she's big and yet doesn't want a plus sized dress?

She didn't want something that was created exclusively for plus-size, I guess.  There are things that are made specifically for plus-sized women that are more about covering up than they are about flattering so I didn't think that statement was too strange.  Except I don't think she was shown any of those, though. 

9 hours ago, cameron said:

Watching the third bride last night; how much things have change since I got married in 1968.  Pregnant brides back then didn't make such a production of getting married  with all the accoutrements  (white gown, veil, etc.).  And most certainly wouldn't have announced it at their wedding.  Call me old fashioned.

Other than the baby announcement and gender reveal, what happened last night absolutely happened in 1968. And earlier. Based on how little she was showing and how long it takes to plan a wedding, she clearly got pregnant after she was engaged and planning the wedding.

Had this happened 50 years ago, they would have gone ahead with the wedding, as they did last night, and then announced that the baby "came early" when she has it.  And since they're married, knowing eyebrows would be raised and then everyone would publicly believe the polite fiction.

9 hours ago, maggiegil said:

If you say your budget is unlimited and then you balk at a 7k dress then you shouldn't have said your budget was unlimited. I wouldn't spend that much so no judgement on that being too much for a dress but I also wouldn't pretend like cost wasn't a factor.

I'm not defending her "unlimited budget" statement but I think it might have to due with internal value.  She liked the dress last night more but she didn't like it twice as much as the other dress.   For instance, when I bought my first car, I wasn't willing to spend more to go to the next trim level just to have a sunroof and leather seats even though I could afford it.  This last time, I was willing to spend the money to get blind spot detectors and an automatic trunk opener.  Those additions were valuable to me than a sunroof.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, amarante said:

Clearly the body builder girl wanted to be on television and probably had already purchased the other dress. I don't think it particularly matters to Kleinfeld for the show since a bride not purchasing a dress is actually more interesting than the normal ones.

Clearly the body builder girl and her comedy sidekicks wanted to be on television...

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

She didn't want something that was created exclusively for plus-size, I guess.  There are things that are made specifically for plus-sized women that are more about covering up than they are about flattering so I didn't think that statement was too strange.  Except I don't think she was shown any of those, though. 

Other than the baby announcement and gender reveal, what happened last night absolutely happened in 1968. And earlier. Based on how little she was showing and how long it takes to plan a wedding, she clearly got pregnant after she was engaged and planning the wedding.

Had this happened 50 years ago, they would have gone ahead with the wedding, as they did last night, and then announced that the baby "came early" when she has it.  And since they're married, knowing eyebrows would be raised and then everyone would publicly believe the polite fiction.

I'm not defending her "unlimited budget" statement but I think it might have to due with internal value.  She liked the dress last night more but she didn't like it twice as much as the other dress.   For instance, when I bought my first car, I wasn't willing to spend more to go to the next trim level just to have a sunroof and leather seats even though I could afford it.  This last time, I was willing to spend the money to get blind spot detectors and an automatic trunk opener.  Those additions were valuable to me than a sunroof.

You're right, brides did get pregnant before wedding back then but tended to be more discreet in dealing with the situation.  Most didn't make a big production of announcing it at their wedding.

Somehow I felt that the bride who bought the $3200 dress but wanted the $7000 Kleinfeld dress was waiting for Randy to say “ Let’s see if we can get the price reduced to a more acceptable level for you”. I remember them doing this before. But Randy didn’t bite, just said this is the best we can do, you have two dresses to pick from, now choose.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, barshi50 said:

Somehow I felt that the bride who bought the $3200 dress but wanted the $7000 Kleinfeld dress was waiting for Randy to say “ Let’s see if we can get the price reduced to a more acceptable level for you”. I remember them doing this before. But Randy didn’t bite, just said this is the best we can do, you have two dresses to pick from, now choose.

And I love Randy for that!  He knew this girl had a back up choice and needed to just make a decision.  But I’m kind of surprised Kleinfeld didn’t have the dress she tried on at the other shop.  They claim to have thousands of gowns.

Also, I love those Essence of Australia gowns!  Glad they are showing them!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Marisagf said:

Also, I love those Essence of Australia gowns!  Glad they are showing them!

I just looked at their website.  They are beautiful and have so many different styles, fabrics and sizes--they have something for everyone.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, barshi50 said:

Cynical me thinks that it wasn't necessary to create the storyline. The better storyline was the bride "sleeping" on it. However cynical me thinks that she had already purchased the less expensive dress and this was all to be on television.

Thinking back (and I could be forgetting some) I don't think the price reductions are given just because the bride likes the more expensive dress. Some of them have some kind of sympathetic reason for the discount; or the dress was already on sale or they sold the sample. 

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, amarante said:

Cynical me thinks that it wasn't necessary to create the storyline. The better storyline was the bride "sleeping" on it. However cynical me thinks that she had already purchased the less expensive dress and this was all to be on television.

Thinking back (and I could be forgetting some) I don't think the price reductions are given just because the bride likes the more expensive dress. Some of them have some kind of sympathetic reason for the discount; or the dress was already on sale or they sold the sample. 

Also, none of those brides claimed to have an unlimited budget and then backtracked when the dress cost more than their other option.  Usually, it was someone who also had a sob story, a recent parental death, a single parent or some other issue that made them need to stick to the budget.  Not someone who'd found another dress at a different store that cost half the price of the Kleinfeld's dress.  They might be willing to knock $1000 off of a dress, but they weren't going to give a 50% discount.

'In this lady's case, she admitted that she could afford a $7000 gown, she just didn't want to pay that much for her wedding dress.  Fair enough, then don't buy the $7000 gown.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, amarante said:

Some of them have some kind of sympathetic reason for the discount; or the dress was already on sale or they sold the sample. 

Yep.  And the difference was rarely twice the price of the dress. 

• Love 3

But don't forget that Kleinfeld's has been scammed into giving a discount before (the woman who claimed PTSD and an injury from military service and then it ended up she was a liar, liar pants on fire [and she revisited the store for another sob storyline that I can't remember]).

51 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

But don't forget that Kleinfeld's has been scammed into giving a discount before (the woman who claimed PTSD and an injury from military service and then it ended up she was a liar, liar pants on fire [and she revisited the store for another sob storyline that I can't remember]).

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2016/04/01/military-records-don-t-support-claims-made-by-veteran-who-dazzled-donald-trump/

Not only scammed Kleinfeld's, but this AF Time article says nothing she says is proven.

Another article: 

https://popularmilitary.com/combat-veteran-who-was-offered-job-by-donald-trump-caught-telling-lies-about-service/

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

'In this lady's case, she admitted that she could afford a $7000 gown, she just didn't want to pay that much for her wedding dress.  Fair enough, then don't buy the $7000 gown.

Does her "admission" make her statements true?  Since I don't believe her or her fan club, I'd rather read she "claimed" that she blah blah blah blah....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Back Atcha said:

Does her "admission" make her statements true?  Since I don't believe her or her fan club, I'd rather read she "claimed" that she blah blah blah blah....

I guess technically anyone can "afford" a $7000 dress. I think her mother told Randy that was what credit cards are for. 

On the other hand, if you stick $7000 in a mutual fund, it will be worth about $105,000 when you retire. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

No, she may well have been lying about what she could afford, but it is not Randy's job to judge the veracity of what the customers tell him.  She told him her budget was unlimited when she arrived, which means $7000 was not off limits.  It's not Randy's fault he showed her a dress that cost more than the original dress she'd found; she told him the price was irrelevant at that moment.

I agree, I think she probably would've been unable to come up with $7000 easily or at all; but that's not what she said, and it was not Randy's fault she decided she didn't want to pay that much after the fact. He even apologized for showing her the dress because he wouldn't have done so if he'd known she wanted something comparable to the first dress pricewise, which is what she should've said.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, amarante said:

I guess technically anyone can "afford" a $7000 dress. I think her mother told Randy that was what credit cards are for. 

I disagree that "anyone can 'afford' a $7000 dress," including this particular client.  Just because someone can charge something to a credit card doesn't mean the person can afford it.  I doubt if that bride-to-be has a limit high enough to make a $7,000+alterations+veil + extra charges on a credit card.  More like a $10,000 total.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I disagree that "anyone can 'afford' a $7000 dress," including this particular client.  Just because someone can charge something to a credit card doesn't mean the person can afford it.  I doubt if that bride-to-be has a limit high enough to make a $7,000+alterations+veil + extra charges on a credit card.  More like a $10,000 total.

True they might not can afford it but folks loose all good sense sometimes when it comes to wedding's. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Marisagf said:

And I love Randy for that!  He knew this girl had a back up choice and needed to just make a decision.

Plus she originally claimed to have  an unlimited budget. I’ve only seen them reduce the price of a gown when there’s some kind of heartwarming story and financial hardship involved 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

She returned to Kleinfeld’s some time later, STILL hadn’t had the wedding, but she wanted to surprise Randy with the news that she was pregnant! 

I remember two Pnini brides, the one who bought the one that looked like a tinfoil blanket made into a dress, and I think it was about $60k, and the woman who bought her dress and her two little girls Pnini dresses, and the total for all three was well over $50k.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I remember two Pnini brides, the one who bought the one that looked like a tinfoil blanket made into a dress, and I think it was about $60k, and the woman who bought her dress and her two little girls Pnini dresses, and the total for all three was well over $50k.  

I remember both of those Brides. I wonder what's new with them? Are they still married to their husbands?

Edited by carolinagirl81
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2022 at 8:46 PM, Back Atcha said:

Clearly the body builder girl and her comedy sidekicks wanted to be on television...

She wasted mine and Kleinfeld's time.  If someone doesn't SYTTD, then please don't air their story!!  

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She was knock kneed and wore that silver mullet dress that showed her knees, the kids dresses were ugly and even her mother was in on the roll of foil clothing. 

No accounting for taste but as such a lot of money that could have funded college for her kids.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 8/1/2022 at 2:09 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Was she the one who got a dress (for free, right?) and the show made a big deal about her being the service and then never got married but showed up on another episode 7 monthes pregnant?

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Was she the one who got a dress (for free, right?) and the show made a big deal about her being the service and then never got married but showed up on another episode 7 monthes pregnant?

Yes, for the first episode, Randy picked her and her entourage up in a limo, she got the royal treatment, a free dress, etc.       She also was on Oprah, and other media, and made a bunch of appearances. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Mind Blown 4

Just started tonight's episode. Wig bride and eyebrow bride. Wow. Is that this seasons theme- over the top and annoying?

Will reserve judgment, but am guessing I'll dislike both final choices.

ETA- liked wig bride's choice a lot. Her wigs- no, especially "Paige". Eyebrow bride- the dress was lovely. Reminded me of a red (I think) cape dress the Duchess of Sussex wore. I wouldn't call it "Structural" though. But my fashion knowledge is mostly from Project Runway seasons 1 through 5.

Edited by BAForever
Finally finished the episode
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Just started the show and holy fricking EYEBROWS!  OMG - I almost had soda come out of my nose.

The wig bride’s entourage (were they both her daughters?) we’re so overly dramatic and the one with the two toned hair has the flattest head I think I have ever seen.  I’m sure it’s her wig, but yeesh.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Chellichik said:

Just started the show and holy fricking EYEBROWS!  OMG - I almost had soda come out of my nose.

Haven't watched yet. They CANNOT beat the eyebrows on 90-Day Fiance.  Patrick's mother (of Patrick and Thais).

• Wink 2

Ok, I actually liked both wig lady and eyebrow lady’s dresses.   I even liked wig lady’s veil and headpiece they put on her.  I was glad she took off that tacky “Paige” wig and out the first one back in.

Hated the dress of the bride that was getting fitted.  It really did her body shape no favors.  I’m really not a fan of huge cleavage.  Save your boobs for your husband.  The guests don’t need to see them.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Chellichik said:

Ok, I actually liked both wig lady and eyebrow lady’s dresses.   I even liked wig lady’s veil and headpiece they put on her.  I was glad she took off that tacky “Paige” wig and out the first one back in.

Hated the dress of the bride that was getting fitted.  It really did her body shape no favors.  I’m really not a fan of huge cleavage.  Save your boobs for your husband.  The guests don’t need to see them.

Why do they insist on accentuating their rear end and their boobs.  Not a good look on her body.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, magemaud said:

“Paige” was one ugly wig, didn’t look at all bridal and would look even worse with a crown on top 

That wig did nothing for her, she looked miles better in the first one, I hope she doesn't wear "Paige" for her wedding,  with a crown on top it will be even more in her eyes. Thought the dress she chose was very pretty, hope how she styles herself on the day doesn't take away from the dress.

Loved the dress eyebrows ended up choosing, would have been interested to see it bustled like they talked about for dancing. Hated the first dress with the super low V they had her in, glad she went with the cape dress.

Edited by maggiegil
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, cameron said:

Why do they insist on accentuating their rear end and their boobs.  Not a good look on her body.

Because they look in the mirror and think they are Kim Kardashian or Beyonce 

They don't realize they present as slightly overweight women with sagging breasts and protruding tummies. 

While the Wig Queen was a bit over the top she realized that her dream of a ball gown needed to be in line with her short stature so her dress wasn't the kind of pouffy ballgown that would have overwhelmed her. I would love to know the back story of why she ad her partner were married for more than 20 years without bothering to legalize it. I wonder if there was some legal obstacle in terms of actually getting married. She looked younger than her daughter which was pretty amazing.

Edited by amarante
  • Like 2
  • Love 2