Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Randy is so right about the second dress!    What ever happened to the bustle?  That changes the look of a dress.  I remember doing up my own bustle since it was really easy to do.  Then, again, I didn’t have a huge train.  

Or take off the headpiece/veil.  Or gloves or wrap or whatever. 

Years ago I knew a bride who had the second gown.  Her mom ran a bridal shop, so I’m sure it was no big deal.  But the second dress didn’t look that different from the ceremony dress.  The mother of the bride changed dresses too, as did some aunts.  I had never heard of that and they tried to tell me everyone does it - the Italians, etc.  I told this person of Lebanese descent that I am Italian and I have never seen this before in my life.  

What a waste of time and money!

17 hours ago, Marisagf said:

What a waste of time and money!

But great advertising for the mother's bridal shop! (I'll bet they didn't even purchase those dresses and just wore them as kind of a fashion show.) 

• Love 1

Whenever I get married (currently single single with zero prospects) but I've had too much time to think about what I'd like for my wedding over the years and I will be having two dresses.

A ceremony gown and something loose and comfortable for the reception.

I know I would not want to be in a longline bra and all tied up in a corset type bodice dress all night.

• Like 2

The harmonizing sounded nice. The dress was fine but goodness, the tattoos. I understand they are meaningful to the bride and shows her journey.  But the look doesn't cut it with me.

Don't think the wedding planner mom will be getting much business from this.

I remember hating that Kardashian wannabe sister on the original episode. Glad she got off her high horse and loved the bride's dress. The wedding looked nice.

• Like 2

I hate to say it but Emerald looked like a stuffed sausage. I hope that's just because the sample dress wasn't the right size for her. Singing bride looked very good in her dress but the tattoos were hugely distracting.

Another nice interstitial dress that was shown for about half a second, one shoulder with a rhinestone belt.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Another nice interstitial dress that was shown for about half a second, one shoulder with a rhinestone belt.

I saw that one! Really liked it for the split second it was on. Really wish we would see more variety. Hate the deep v and the netting everywhere. Emerald's dress was too small, but it still wasn't right for her shape. She had a more thick body build. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I hate to say it but Emerald looked like a stuffed sausage. I hope that's just because the sample dress wasn't the right size for her. Singing bride looked very good in her dress but the tattoos were hugely distracting.

Don't understand why the less than slender brides always want to wear skin tight dresses that make them look like stuffed sausages.  Hate the let's see how tight the dress can be over the rear end look.  Do they even have any idea how bad they look?

9 hours ago, Grizzly said:

The harmonizing sounded nice. The dress was fine but goodness, the tattoos. I understand they are meaningful to the bride and shows her journey.  But the look doesn't cut it with me.

Don't think the wedding planner mom will be getting much business from this.

I remember hating that Kardashian wannabe sister on the original episode. Glad she got off her high horse and loved the bride's dress. The wedding looked nice.

Forgot about the Kardashian wannabe sister with her mile long eyelashes and duck bill lips.  Guess she hasn't refined her appearance.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Grizzly said:

It's nice to see a dress after it's been properly altered/fitted.  I thought the dress was perfection on her small frame.  The details, etc. didn't overpower the bride.  I'm glad that her sister wasn't an ass for the fitting appointment!  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cameron said:

Don't understand why the less than slender brides always want to wear skin tight dresses that make them look like stuffed sausages.  Hate the let's see how tight the dress can be over the rear end look.  Do they even have any idea how bad they look?

If they're not bothered by a tight dress accenting a protruding tummy (an issue I have with a lot of brides), they're definitely not going to mind a dress straining over their rear ends.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, cameron said:

To be fair, that was a sample dress that was WAY too small for her.  It may look spectacular when it's fitted.  Either way, it makes her happy, and she completely lit up when she put it on. 

I hugely admire the fact that it didn't enter her mind that others (not directed at cameron) might not like it--you go girlfriend!

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, cynicat said:

To be fair, that was a sample dress that was WAY too small for her.  It may look spectacular when it's fitted. 

I try to keep it in mind that these are sample-size dresses, but sometimes it's hard to imagine what the finished product will look like on a bride!   I'm not a fan of the low & split neck dresses, so I didn't care for the dress from that aspect.  The one her mom picked out was too plain.  I didn't care for that one either. 

I wish that these manufacturers would make more of their sample dresses in sizes that a lot of women actually wear so that they can get a better idea of how the dress actually looks on them.  It seems crazy to try and squeeze every person into the much smaller sizes.   It would be nice if SYTTD could put together a compilation (maybe 10 minutes per show) and let us see some before and after pictures of the brides we've seen on the show.   There's been a bunch that I would like to see how the final product looks on them.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, cynicat said:

To be fair, that was a sample dress that was WAY too small for her.  It may look spectacular when it's fitted.  Either way, it makes her happy, and she completely lit up when she put it on. 

I hugely admire the fact that it didn't enter her mind that others (not directed at cameron) might not like it--you go girlfriend!

Actually, think that she wanted the too tight look.  She she wanted it to accentuate her body.  And she did seem happy.  Too many brides today want to look sexy on their wedding day.

• Love 1

Beyond the better fitting "real" dress I assume that these women wear Spanx or equivalent. From watching the Real Housewives some of the women wear two Spanx.

I can't imagine the discomfort of wearing a double girdle AND being in a dress that was so confining and uncomfortable to walk or sit in.

I think some brides have body dysmorphia and when they look in the mirror they don't see a bulging belly and rear end but see Kim Kardashian or Beyonce. I can't comment on Beyonce specifically but KK works out for hours; has plastic surgery and photoshops out any imperfections. Her body is a tribute to plastic surgery; intensive workouts plus photoshopping. The woman in this episode said she wanted her "Beyonce moment" 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I wonder why so many brides on here want the same type of dress. Doesn’t anyone want to stand out with something different? When I look online at bridal collections they have so many different styles and silhouettes. Yet most of the brides seem to want super tight and low cut or strapless. I got into a dispute with someone on another site who said no wears strapless anymore, every wedding picture I see online and every wedding I attend is either strapless or low cut mermaid with illusion netting.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, amarante said:

Beyond the better fitting "real" dress I assume that these women wear Spanx or equivalent. From watching the Real Housewives some of the women wear two Spanx.

I can't imagine the discomfort of wearing a double girdle AND being in a dress that was so confining and uncomfortable to walk or sit in.

I think some brides have body dysmorphia and when they look in the mirror they don't see a bulging belly and rear end but see Kim Kardashian or Beyonce. I can't comment on Beyonce specifically but KK works out for hours; has plastic surgery and photoshops out any imperfections. Her body is a tribute to plastic surgery; intensive workouts plus photoshopping. The woman in this episode said she wanted her "Beyonce moment" 

While she was very attractive, no way would she ever have a Beyonce moment with her body.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Yet most of the brides seem to want super tight and low cut or strapless.

I think it's kind of dicey to order a skin-tight dress when your wedding is 6+ months away.  I'd be stressed out worrying about not gaining an ounce if I ordered something so form-fitting!  I'd rather be in a situation of having a dress taken in rather than letting it out.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I wonder why so many brides on here want the same type of dress. Doesn’t anyone want to stand out with something different?

On the show? I believe that's because of editing and the show showcasing particular dress/designer or the new trend in bridal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Bklyndeb said:

It always chaps me when the consultants show brides dresses way out of their price range and pressure people.

That drives me crazy. 

I thought Emerald's mom was on the right track with that gown.  Maybe if it had a more defined waist, not as much fabric in the skirt and some bling (although, I really like the plain, white dresses) she'd have liked it better.

I had to try on every style to see which one looked the best on me, then go from there.  The only style I truly loath is mermaid. I don't think I've seen one yet on a bride or even on the models, that I've liked.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, carolinagirl81 said:

On the show? I believe that's because of editing and the show showcasing particular dress/designer or the new trend in bridal.

Agree. It's like they think we need a common thread or theme each episode. We don't. Show a variety of dresses with no over the top family drama. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BAForever said:

Agree. It's like they think we need a common thread or theme each episode. We don't. Show a variety of dresses with no over the top family drama. 

Exactly! we the viewer want to see the fashion, the dresses!!! Especially from a store that claims to have the most bridal gowns like show us that. The antics of the person getting married and their entourage is secondary IMO I am not watching for the people I want to see the dresses and the alterations department because it takes SKILL to tailor a wedding gown.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, amarante said:

I think some brides have body dysmorphia and when they look in the mirror they don't see a bulging belly and rear end but see Kim Kardashian or Beyonce.

Body dysmorphia is about focusing on body flaws.  The fact that she put on that dress and didn't obsess over her pooch is the opposite of that.

And frankly, it's refreshing.  Most women, no matter how thin they are or how much they work out, have a pooch.  Congrats to those who don't but there's a whole industry in hiding something so many women have.  I find it refreshing she didn't care.

I do think the bunching might bother me but I actually thought the dress was fine. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, cynicat said:

Yes, it was clearly way too small for her, but. maybe I lack imagination, but I don't think that that style of dress, even if cut in her size, would be very flattering to her figure.  She kept talking about wanting to show off her 'curves' as so many larger sized brides on this show do; but, that particular style, while skin-tight, wasn't flattering to her body which was more solid and blocky than curvy.  Of course, she's got a lot of company in that many women her age prefer their clothing to be tight and to hug their form, even if their form is less than ideal.  Good for them, but it doesn't look flattering or pretty to me.

BTW, I am a plus sized woman myself and I don't think a skin-tight strapless mermaid dress is my friend either.

• Applause 3
25 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Yes, it was clearly way too small for her, but. maybe I lack imagination, but I don't think that that style of dress, even if cut in her size, would be very flattering to her figure.  She kept talking about wanting to show off her 'curves' as so many larger sized brides on this show do; but, that particular style, while skin-tight, wasn't flattering to her body which was more solid and blocky than curvy.  Of course, she's got a lot of company in that many women her age prefer their clothing to be tight and to hug their form, even if their form is less than ideal.  Good for them, but it doesn't look flattering or pretty to me.

BTW, I am a plus sized woman myself and I don't think a skin-tight strapless mermaid dress is my friend either.

I get you notabug. I'm tall and pretty lean, and am envious of women with the confidence to put themselves in the dress they love. Wish we could have seen Emerald in the dress properly sized. Still disappointed in the lack of variety in dresses after 3 hour long episodes. Used to love this show, now meh. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Body dysmorphia is about focusing on body flaws.  The fact that she put on that dress and didn't obsess over her pooch is the opposite of that.

And frankly, it's refreshing.  Most women, no matter how thin they are or how much they work out, have a pooch.  Congrats to those who don't but there's a whole industry in hiding something so many women have.  I find it refreshing she didn't care.

I do think the bunching might bother me but I actually thought the dress was fine. 

I think most woman dress to flatter their figures.

So yes while many women have a belly, the women I know don't dress in a way that accents their belly.

Not every fashion works for everyone which is why typically women who care about their appearance try on clothing and don't purchase most of what they try on. 

There is a happy medium between wearing caftans because one doesn't have an Instagram perfect size 2 shape and wearing clothing that emphasizes figure flaws especially when one's figure is objectively quite nice and so there are lots of beautiful more flattering trends.

It isn't different than a very small woman who has her heart set on a huge ballgown and looks swallowed up in it. Why wear something that objectively doesn't look good when there are flattering options. 

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, amarante said:

There is a happy medium between wearing caftans because one doesn't have an Instagram perfect size 2 shape and wearing clothing that emphasizes figure flaws especially when one's figure is objectively quite nice and so there are lots of beautiful more flattering trends.

But who decided the pooch is a flaw? 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

I think you need real curves to wear that dress - that is what the dress is designed for - with a waist that goes in and hips and breasts that go out.

For some reason curvy has become a euphemism for plus size. Ironically I think there are larger woman (even plus size) woman who can carry off that style better than women who are a smaller size but shaped differently.

Also for the mermaid style to work you need some degree of length in your torso and legs because otherwise the proportions of the tight to just above the knees with the flare don't work. There is a much easier to wear shape in which it is tight to about the middle of the hips and then eases out - not sure what it is called.

If you have a square blocky figure with not much of a waist, then there are more flattering styles which provide the illusion of a waist rather than emphasizing precisely where you have no shape.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

I think it is pretty widely accepted that a belly - at least in most modern Western societies among those who aren't fertility fetishists-  a protruding belly is not something that is considered to be a desirable body condition..

I am not sure who "decided" it but judging from how most people dress themselves; what body shapes they aspire to; people exercising in order to get what is commonly perceived of as a more desirable shape, I would say a poll would indicate that a large belly is not aspirational and most women try to reduce it or at least dress so that it isn't emphasized.

I have thick calves so all things being equal, I look better in pants and I certainly wouldn't wear shoes that have ankle straps or other stuff which cuts my legs at that spot and emphasizes my calves. 

But each to their own - if you want to emphasize a body part that most people consider to be a flaw - go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I found Emerald's segments interesting since her mom is a wedding planner.  I loved how the mom during the whole appointment.  Sticking to the budget was paramount and I loved how she didn't just offer to pay for the more expensive dress.  She was pretty awesome and it was an interesting storyline.

I wanted to like the wedding singer, but I just couldn't deal with her.  ;)

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Marisagf said:

I found Emerald's segments interesting since her mom is a wedding planner.  I loved how the mom during the whole appointment.  Sticking to the budget was paramount and I loved how she didn't just offer to pay for the more expensive dress.  She was pretty awesome and it was an interesting storyline.

I wanted to like the wedding singer, but I just couldn't deal with her.  ;)

I don’t understand why people aren’t explicit in terms of defining what stretching tue budget is. 

In the real world, stretching a $2000 budget would mean maybe $2200 if the dress were perfect but certainly not double the budget. 

There was a sales person who was notorious for up selling in the earlier seasons. She was very tiny and had a blonde bob with bangs. 

And in general it would be difficult to go back to cheaper dresses once one has tried on a twice the budget dress.  Not that I am saying that one needs to spend that amount but objectively the material will generally be more beautiful and the details and finishes might be better because the manufacturer could spend more on a higher to sew pattern and the beading and embroidery etc. 

The mother who was the wedding planner seemed very savvy so I doubt in real life she would have not clarified what the budget actually meant in terms of stretching. Of course as a wedding planner she is probs oh able to get significant discounts. What vendor wouldn’t offer a low price to get on her good side. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, amarante said:

There was a sales person who was notorious for up selling in the earlier seasons. She was very tiny and had a blonde bob with bangs.

That was Diane. She never met a budget she didn't want to raise. 

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

They kept saying fit-and-flair but it sure looks like mermaid to me. Trumpet is the flare that starts higher. I don't hate those but I personally don't want to emphasize my hips.

Have you guys seen this? Woman gives away wedding dress on Facebook and starts a movement.

And after wearing the dress down the aisle, she decided it deserved a better fate than sitting in her closet collecting dust.

"I couldn't figure out quite how I was going to do it. I ended up putting something on Facebook," she said.

Stulgis was bombarded. She received more than 70 messages, with each future bride describing what receiving the dress would mean to them.

She eventually settled on a woman who lived nearby — but a movement was born. Stulgis got messages from other women who also wanted to donate their dresses, as well as those looking for a dress for their own wedding.

Stulgis created a Facebook group called "Shared Dream Dresses." She estimates that since June, more than 200 dresses have been exchanged, and the impact of the group continues to grow.

I was at a Goodwill this weekend and, being Las Vegas, they had 6 or 7 wedding gowns on the racks. Pretty much every thrift store in town does. There was one 80s beaded and puffy-sleeved monstrosity but a few of them were really nice. One had a huge train with a lot of detailwork on the back. Any prospective brides reading this, there are like 12 Goodwills in town, come here and thrift. The most I've seen a gown priced is $149.99. The cost of the flight, hotel, gown and then any cleaning and alterations could be under $1500.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, BAForever said:

I get you notabug. I'm tall and pretty lean, and am envious of women with the confidence to put themselves in the dress they love. Wish we could have seen Emerald in the dress properly sized. Still disappointed in the lack of variety in dresses after 3 hour long episodes. Used to love this show, now meh. 

I think she would still pick out a skin tight dress size as she wanted to accentuate her curves.  Guess they don't really get how this isn't a good look.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, cameron said:
On 7/25/2022 at 8:43 AM, BAForever said:

I think she would still pick out a skin tight dress size as she wanted to accentuate her curves.  Guess they don't really get how this isn't a good look.

Hmmm...it seems like one of the "alterations" experts should be part of the consultation team:  Bride ~ Family ~ Consultant ~ Alterations.   The bride and her family should be instructed before any appointment is made that the Alterations person is an important member of the team.  That team member may have to "diplomatically" suggest why a different style of dress "might" work better.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Hmmm...it seems like one of the "alterations" experts should be part of the consultation team:  Bride ~ Family ~ Consultant ~ Alterations.   The bride and her family should be instructed before any appointment is made that the Alterations person is an important member of the team.  That team member may have to "diplomatically" suggest why a different style of dress "might" work better.

Unfortunately, when the bride wants to look sexy on her wedding; all good suggestions from other people goes right out the window.  They want it revealing in front and tight over the rear; neither of which is a good look.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 3
On 7/25/2022 at 9:23 AM, Irlandesa said:

I consider MY pooch (not the canine kind) one of my flaws.  I don't care enough to worry about it or do anything to fix it.

6 hours ago, cameron said:

Unfortunately, when the bride wants to look sexy on her wedding; all good suggestions from other people goes right out the window.  They want it revealing in front and tight over the rear; neither of which is a good look.

Don't quite get wanting to look "Sexy" at your wedding. Happy, Beautiful,  Radiant, Glowing, Sophisticated, Serene, Charming are words that describe how I might want to look. Save the sexy for the honeymoon. I just wanted to look like me when I got married. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, BAForever said:

Don't quite get wanting to look "Sexy" at your wedding.

It's funny whenever a bride says she wants all the attention and eyes on her, so she wants to be really sexy.  What part of being the bride and automatically being the center of attention doesn't she get?  I think one can look sexy in a sophisticated way without overtly displaying one's T&A!!  

• Like 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I think one can look sexy in a sophisticated way without overtly displaying one's T&A!!  

I'd like to see an definition of these two words...in beautiful calligraphy under glass in an ornate frame displayed at Kleinfeld Bridal:   SEXY  ...   TRASHY     Surely there's a difference.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

I'd like to see an definition of these two words...in beautiful calligraphy under glass in an ornate frame displayed at Kleinfeld Bridal:   SEXY  ...   TRASHY     Surely there's a difference.

In my book, they are one and the same.  Look at Randy's definition of sexy below.  Great definition of how one can achieve that look without looking trashy.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, ChitChat said:

It's funny whenever a bride says she wants all the attention and eyes on her, so she wants to be really sexy.  What part of being the bride and automatically being the center of attention doesn't she get?  I think one can look sexy in a sophisticated way without overtly displaying one's T&A!!  

11 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I just saw a delightful clip in which the bride said, “Sorry, Dad, but I want to have some sexy details,” and Randy immediately responded, “Audrey Hepburn was sexy.  Grace Kelly was sexy.”  That also needs to be a sign in each fitting room there.

Ignore the title about mom stealing the show because in actuality  this is the way all shopping experiences should go.

39 minutes ago, cameron said:

In my book, they are one and the same.  Look at Randy's definition of sexy below.  Great definition of how one can achieve that look without looking trashy.

I agree with all of you, there are TONS of ways to be sexy without being vulgar on your wedding day.  IMO I never understood the person/bride who says they want to be sexy on their wedding day. You've already got your partner, so who are you needing to show/prove your sexiness to? 

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I just saw a delightful clip in which the bride said, “Sorry, Dad, but I want to have some sexy details,” and Randy immediately responded, “Audrey Hepburn was sexy.  Grace Kelly was sexy.”  That also needs to be a sign in each fitting room there.

Ignore the title about mom stealing the show because in actuality  this is the way all shopping experiences should go.

That was beautiful.  I love how willing she was to trying on a bunch of different kind of silhouettes, and how nice the whole family was while giving their opinions.  I'd enjoy the show more if all of the episodes were like that.

• Applause 2
  • Love 5
On 7/26/2022 at 7:02 PM, BAForever said:

Don't quite get wanting to look "Sexy" at your wedding.

It seems the brides on this show either want to look "sexy" or "like a princess" like they're the only two choices. Or maybe "sexy princess" is the third option. 

• Love 3

I did not care for the dress Emerald selected AT ALL.  The first dress was similar in style but looked much better.  Mom knew but was gracious enough to let her daughter choose the awful, twice-over-budget hideous dress.

Wedding singer's dress was beautiful, and I loved her dad's reaction.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roughing it said:

I did not care for the dress Emerald selected AT ALL.  The first dress was similar in style but looked much better.  Mom knew but was gracious enough to let her daughter choose the awful, twice-over-budget hideous dress.

Wedding singer's dress was beautiful, and I loved her dad's reaction.  

Emerald's dress didn't even look like a wedding dress, more like something you wore to an event.

• Applause 2
(edited)

Really disliking most if not all of the dresses so far this season. I remember watching last season and thinking Brides had finally gotten a bit of taste but alas. I don't understand the trend for the deep v with the mesh, it makes the neckline way too low cut and is unpleasing to the eye as its like a triangle with no tip.

Hated Emeralds dress on her, it looked painful the way it was digging into her. I wonder with extending the budget that much, if she considered alterations, the cheapest alterations at Kleinfelds now start at 995$

As regards cutting people off the guest list to save money, there was a programme on helping people save money years ago that I watched and the couple were getting married. The woman  in the couple was really worried that the financial guy presenting it would make them slash their guest list etc.  The budgeting expert actually told them to increase the guest list, he said there are so many sunk costs in a wedding, dress, flowers, photographer etc that having more people come who will give you a gift is a smart thing to do, the actual cost of having another person attend will just be their meal.

Edited by maggiegil
  • Useful 2

Loved Meredith, her family and the dress she chose. No drama, just supportive and positive. Liked the dress Liana didn't pick but understood why. $3800 difference is a lot and she recognized that. The Kleinfeld dress was better for her than the one from the other store, but she loved that she cared about the $$. FF'ed through third bride. 

• Love 4