Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 2/8/2023 at 10:28 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

So I remembered the show was supposed to premiere this month but my DVR didn't pick up anything. When I check everything says it should have started on the 4th. Obvs it hasn't, and the schedule is showing a Dr. PP marathon this Saturday, and 1000 lb Friends next week. Anyone know what's up?

Had originally heard or read a Feb premiere, my guide says March 4th. 

• Useful 1

We got to see a number of different dresses, which was good. But less good was Montana bride who was clearly auditioning for something. A little bit of her went a long way for me. 

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, rur said:

We got to see a number of different dresses, which was good. But less good   I was Montana bride who was clearly auditioning for something. A little bit of her went a long way for me. 

We did get to see some different dresses.  If nothing else, it appears the era of 100% strapless dresses is over, thank goodness.  

I was sorry to see that Kleinfeld's, which brags about it's huge inventory, had a grand total of two bridal pants outfits.  We've seen more than a few brides ask for pants on the show and it would've been nice if they'd have had some options for the 'hinge' bride. They have a massive showroom, it shouldn't be that hard to keep  a dozen or so options on hand. I liked her fiancee and the dress she chose suited her well.  Not sure what to make of their relationship though, to each their own.

Montana bride was a bit much, although the setting for her wedding outdoors in the mountains was spectacular.  I still do not get why all these brides think they need multiple dresses each costing thousands for their 'special day'.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 10
  • Applause 3
47 minutes ago, Notabug said:

We did get to see some different dresses.  If nothing else, it appears the era of 100% strapless dresses is over, thank goodness.  

I was sorry to see that Kleinfeld's, which brags about it's huge inventory, had a grand total of two bridal pants outfits.  We've seen more than a few brides ask for pants on the show and it would've been nice if they'd have had some options for the 'hinge' bride. They have a massive showroom, it shouldn't be that hard to keep  a dozen or so options on hand. I liked her fiancee and the dress she chose suited her well.  Not sure what to make of their relationship though, to each their own.

Montana bride was a bit much, although the setting for her wedding outdoors in the mountains was spectacular.  I still do not get why all these brides think they need multiple dresses each costing thousands for their 'special day'.

I also was not taken by Montana bride and the ridiculousness of shlepping from Montana to New York along with her two shlubby friends. I don't understand why anyone who didn't want to appear on the show would travel any significant distance to Kleinfelds - even if you are in Podunkville, there are major cities closer to wherever you are located.

Montana evidently has a somewhat thriving destination wedding industry. You can rent the location "ranch" used for the Yellowstone series for weddings, other events or just to stay there.

I have seen a few shows in which brides were shown pants. I think one of the issues was that they couldn't even have her try on the pants because the woman was a bit large. You can squeeze someone into a dress that is a bit small but you couldn't squeeze her into jumpsuits or pants because there is no way to do what the sales associates do with too small dresses. I don't think she would have been able to fit into a blazer or jacket either. 

• Like 4

If I had the consultant that Montana bride did, I would have asked for a new one.  Referring to the dresses as she was bad enough, but that vocal tic she had where her voice would go up to a squeak occasionally made me want to run away.  

As for the bride who wanted pants, I felt bad that the only samples they had were so small.  She wasn't that big, but she couldn't try anything on that she actually wanted.  She needs to find a decent seamstress or hunt around Nordstrom and she will find something that works and probably won't have the huge markup.  I don't understand the relationship, but I hope they are all happy.  The woman who wanted pants really seemed to care about her hinge bride, so that was nice.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Meow Mix said:

She needs to find a decent seamstress or hunt around Nordstrom and she will find something that works and probably won't have the huge markup. 

I think she could find something really nice without paying the Kleinfeld price.  I haven't been too impressed with their selection of pant suits anyway.  At least it was confirmed that a dress was not the right choice, so the appointment wasn't a total waste of time for her.  

• Like 4
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

I think she could find something really nice without paying the Kleinfeld price.

Especially if her ideal look is the look of her consultant which is a pants and blazer look.  I do not think Kleinfeld's carries that.  their pantsuits are usually in the same material as their dresses, with lace, and often one pieces.

• Like 3

Happy show is back, but as @chichat stated, kind of underwhelming. I don't watch for the drama or the over-the-top entourages or the wanna be singers/models/influencers/content creators. I want to see a variety of overpriced dresses and who looks good in what so i can mock their choices.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 4
On 3/4/2023 at 9:19 PM, rur said:

We got to see a number of different dresses, which was good. But less good was Montana bride who was clearly auditioning for something. A little bit of her went a long way for me. 

Agreed about the Montana bride. She was cringey. 

• Like 10
On 3/4/2023 at 9:19 PM, rur said:

Also maybe the reasons for the lack of girlfriends as bridesmaids.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Gyproselee said:

Also maybe the reasons for the lack of girlfriends as bridesmaids.

I got the feeling that she's the type who wants to be the center of attention, hence, no other women in the wedding party.  Not that brides shouldn't be the center of attention at their weddings, just that she seems like the sort who would demand it.

• Like 2
(edited)

Montana Bride had women in her bridal party. They just weren't there for the dress fitting. They were on her side in dresses during the ceremony.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
On 3/7/2023 at 3:08 PM, Irlandesa said:

Montana Bride had women in her bridal party. They just weren't there for the dress fitting. They were on her side in dresses during the ceremony.

Two of them - with 3 "bridesmen" - 🙄

57 minutes ago, princelina said:

Two of them - with 3 "bridesmen" - 🙄

Yes.  But the claim was no women and I was just clarifying that there were.

She had some annoying mannerisms but I actually liked that about her.  And I also disagree that she did it so attention wouldn't be pulled from her.  If anything, people are far more likely to notice her mixed-gender wedding party than they would have if it had been the same old five bridesmaids.

On 3/5/2023 at 8:07 AM, Notabug said:

I still do not get why all these brides think they need multiple dresses each costing thousands for their 'special day'.

Seems like it's always someone else's money.  Or credit card(s).

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes.  But the claim was no women and I was just clarifying that there were.

She had some annoying mannerisms but I actually liked that about her.  And I also disagree that she did it so attention wouldn't be pulled from her.  If anything, people are far more likely to notice her mixed-gender wedding party than they would have if it had been the same old five bridesmaids.

Yeah I get what you are saying.  To me it's actually inviting more attention because she's too cool to conform to gender norms.  I just find it annoying.  My gay friends were sent to the church to start seating guests early because I knew the groomsmen would be late - I didn't make them bridesmaids 😄

• LOL 1

That Maggie Sottero was really beautiful. It presented as a ballgown without being a typical ballgown. The ruched top made a nice, nipped-in silhouette and I also like the just off the shoulder straps. Doesn't seem to available anymore, the closest I could find on her website is the Yasmin. She also has many styles that would have been good for the bride who wanted to show her 3 Bs. 

I hope it was just the sample dress but the one Dominique chose gave her a poochy stomach. They are definitely going to need to haul up those straps. Also, did very much not like her mom's top with the uneven hemline. That overskirt was too plain for the dress style with the straight, boring tulle. If it had been in a more sparkly fabric maybe. 

• Like 2

I agree about the Maggie Sottero dress. It's one of the few that I've seen during my years of watching this show that's caused me to say, "I'd buy that."  It was much more flattering on her than the Randy dress that she chose. I do find it ironic, though, that while we were seeing her in a beautiful satin dress Randy was telling 3B grandma that there weren't many satin gowns in the store (and I understand he was trying to advocate for the bride . . . just a bad editing choice.)

Maybe if the overskirt had been the same fabric as the dress it would have been more attractive. I'm glad the bride was happy, but it left me wondering why anyone would want to add an overskirt like that to a gown with the lines she was specific about wanting. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, kirklandia said:

What's with Dominique's father calling his daughter "Mama"? Does she have children? Or is that one more example of modern slang that is not on my radar?

I came here to say this. Did I miss that she is expecting? Otherwise it seemed odd.

I did appreciate the editors who panned dad’s full outfit, including orange shorts and black socks, after Dominique said he was a style guru. 🙂

Edited by Cancun
  • Like 2
  • LOL 8

Dominique and fam were nice, but agree the Maggie dress was so much more flattering on her. Didn't love the Randy dress, she needed a size or 2 up, so with alterations hopefully it will look better. 

3B bride will look good in everything. Liked her choice ok, still don't love cutouts even on slim brides. 

• Like 5

Randy surprising brides could go wrong in so many ways.      I'm surprised the groom wants sexier.   Her dresses were nice, but the groom sitting there was such a negative for the appointment.  I bet if the bride picks what the groom doesn't like, that she will never hear the end of it.   What the bride calls sleeves are actually lace straps.  

Courtney's family is supportive, but I hope they looked at price tags before suggesting something, unless they're paying for it.   Her first dress with detached, poofy sleeves did nothing for me, so of course it's the one she wants.  The second one was kind of boring on her too.    The third one with the skimpy sweetheart, with the plunge front wasn't attractive to me.  

• Like 1
On 3/12/2023 at 11:15 AM, Cancun said:

What's with Dominique's father calling his daughter "Mama"?

I didn't watch that episode, so I don't know the ethnicity of Dominique or her father.  In my area (southwest), many Hispanic parents (both parents) will call their daughters, "Mama," as a term of endearment, like honey, or sweetie.

• Like 2
  • Useful 5
5 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Those detachable balloon sleeves are appalling. I can't believe she liked them. 

At first I thought they looked like bread wrappers on her arms, then it came to me. I saw a TV program recently where a butler was polishing the silver. 
They were also swooning over those ridiculous “butt-bows.” 

7C6E773A-EF79-469F-BB34-DC931370B6C3.jpeg

• LOL 6

Courtney looked good in all dresses, but agree about the puffy detached sleeves. That being said, I really liked dress #2- it was pretty and unique. Plus I liked Peter, the new consultant. 

Didn't care for long haired bride. Hubby-to-be can take a hike. 

• Like 6

Do they ask whether one is comfortable with a male sales assistant?

The sales assistant in a bridal store gets much more up close and personal than a sales assistant in other clothing stores where people generally dress themselves.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Those detachable balloon sleeves are appalling. I can't believe she liked them. 

They were very 80s like Princess Di's sleeves which did not age well.  That said, I still kind of liked the look, especially since it was so customizable. 

I liked the top on the second dress but I wasn't a fan of the skirt.  She looked good in everything, though.

I really wish they wouldn't glorify controlling fiances wanting a say in what their bride wears.  Perhaps it was just a storyline to give the other bride a reason why she's shopping for a reception dress but yuck.  It's one thing if she wants his opinion but another for him to be like "no ball gowns."

• Like 4
7 hours ago, amarante said:

Do they ask whether one is comfortable with a male sales assistant?

The sales assistant in a bridal store gets much more up close and personal than a sales assistant in other clothing stores where people generally dress themselves.

I imagine that they do, or that there is another female assistant who helps the bride dress and undress that we don't get to see on the show

I like Peter, but he needs to stop referring to inanimate objects as 'she'.  It isn't cute, it's dumb.

I thought weird sleeve dress looked poorly made, the trim around the top and sleeves didn't look like it was straight and looked cheap.  The second dress looked like an old bedsheet draped for a toga party.  I like simple dresses, but these looked to be lacking in quality to me.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Notabug said:

I like Peter, but he needs to stop referring to inanimate objects as 'she'.  It isn't cute, it's dumb.

I found that sooooo annoying!!  It bugged me during the whole show!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Marisagf said:

I found that sooooo annoying!!  It bugged me during the whole show!

He did it last time he was featured, I guess it will be his thing.  Too bad, I like him otherwise.

I didn't find his referring to dresses as "she" annoying. 

I don't know if it is a male thing but there is a male shtick of referring to cars and boats as she so I just thought it was an extension of that.

It is not uncommon for people to anthropomorphize inanimate objects. It is not as widely done as is done for ships as ships are universally referred to as she rather than it in boating circles but I have heard it done with other inanimate stuff the speaker is fond of.

• Like 3

So many designers, including Randy, name their gowns with female names (Ashely, Daniella, Belle, etc) that it kind of seems a somewhat natural progression for the consultants to start referring to the dresses as "she."

• Like 6

Balloon Sleeve Bride (BSB) was just wacko. I loathe these brides who readily admit they are 'indecisive and maybe just don't want the trying on experience to end' as if it's something to be proud of. She's dragging around her mother and friend and kept saying 'my entourage' as if she had 6 people out there. Maybe she did when she started and now they've all bailed but two, but two people does not an entourage make, just sayin'. I thought that the balloon sleeve dress was odd but weirdly looked good on her. Will it look dated years from now in photos? Of course! But she is too silly to see that right now and good on Peter for calling in the designer to seal the deal. I knew as soon as the designer said she looked amazing she'd take the dress...so predictable. That said, I thought the second/last bow in back gown was stunning on her, absolutely STUNNING. She should have taken that gown and would have looked stunning in her photos for decades to come.

Long Hair Bride (LHB) was annoying AF. First of all, her ceremony gown was hideous. I like most of Randy's own gowns but that was like a poor man's Pnina Stripper Fairy dress and was just horrible on her It swallowed her up and the dress wore her, her groomzilla won't be liking that dress at all. However, her reception gown was stunning on her and she should just sell the other gown and wear the second one for ceremony and reception, she looked amazing in that one.

I also wonder if they ask beforehand if the bride would be amenable to a male consultant, since they presumably see the brides in their under garments. I've had male assistants offer to help me in clothing stores and I'm not keen on it.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

I guess that I'm at a table for one since I didn't particularly like that dress. It had too many random elements. It had a slit. It had what was some type of overskirt. It had a big-ass bow in the back. IMO, it would have been more attractive if it had just one unusual feature. Personally, I liked the slit and would have dumped that bow. 

• Like 2

I agree the dress would be better without that giant bow.   

I'm watching the "Ugly Ducking" rerun.  How sad that Jenny is so worried about picking a dress that her mother and sister don't like.    Only the sister looked happy with the dress, the mother saying it was pretty was lacking in enthusiasm. 

I'm looking forward to the new episode tonight, "Just in Case Dress", but I don't understand why someone who spent thousands on a dress, goes dress shopping again.   

Shatava Lindsey is so excited, and I really like her.    Does she know what extra bling and sparkles will cost?  And it has to accommodate her large caboose.   She went shopping with a friend, Courtney,  last year, and helped her find another dress, with Randy's help.   Her budget is pretty low for a blingy, sparkly, dress. The stylist is right the second dress looks like a marshmallow, and the third does look like a Salsa dress.  I love the fourth dress Peter picked, of course it's over budget. It's an Allure Bridal for $3150.  I love this dress on her. 

Red (Noelle) wants her second dress, full of sparkle.  She bought the first dress because she was afraid that it was the best she could do for a plus size dress.     Why did Red try on  a clone of the dress she already bought?   I love the second dress on her, it's a Disney collection dress.  The bridesmaid saying it's 'prom-ey' is wrong.      I like the Disney dress on her better.  But she picks the last dress, but they'll put straps on it. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
On 3/22/2023 at 7:04 AM, rur said:

I guess that I'm at a table for one since I didn't particularly like that dress. It had too many random elements. It had a slit. It had what was some type of overskirt. It had a big-ass bow in the back. IMO, it would have been more attractive if it had just one unusual feature. Personally, I liked the slit and would have dumped that bow. 

Join me for dinner at that table.

Theoretically I liked the concept of her dresses but they weren't executed appropriately and there was extra frippery that took away from the sculptural quality of the dress.

If that kind of elegant non froufrou look is your inspiration, there are designers that do it better. I am thinking the equivalent of Pippa Middletown's wedding gown. Or when Carolyn Bessette was married to JFK, Jr. her Narcisco Rodriguez slip dress although that was obviously going in a completely different feel than the sculptural looks.

Amsale has more of those clean looks with just a bit of frippery so that it isn't entirely plain or lacking some interest.

https://amsale.com/pages/amsale-bridal

• Like 1