Type keyword(s) to search

Game Of Thrones In The Media

• Start Topic

I have decided, I hate the Ellaria and the Sand Snakes so much, that I want to write D&D to swap them out for Arianne Martell. I know there is a snow balls chance in hell of it happening (as they probably have written everything) but I at least want to try. Anyone have an address I can write them?

(edited)

I liked it and Art explaining the motivation to go in a straight line vs serpentine. Considering he didn't have any lines this season, I really liked his non verbal acting, especially when Ramsey had the knife near his throat and Rickon had the look of being resigned to death.  Besides, when he was shot through the heart, he would have probably been at the point when he would have straighten his path to get as quickly to Jon as possible.  

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 2

The Season 6 Blu-Ray is going to be released on November 15th, with HBO foregoing its strategy for prior seasons of holding the release until a month or so before the season premieres.  I guess the delay prompted that -- or maybe they realized it was always a dumb idea.

The usual huge number of features and commentaries, though a remarkable number of main actors must have had scheduling conflicts this year -- no Emilia, Maisie, Isaac, Alfie, Gwendoline, or Carice, among others.  The absence of both Maisie and Rory McCann is doubly unfortunate since HBO actually got prominent guest stars from their arcs (Essie Davis and Ian McShane) on the tracks, which I expect was originally intended to play off them.  Ah well.  I'm looking forward to Kit and Sophie's track.

Canadians: CTV is airing Game of Thrones, season 1, uncut (!!!!), over the next two weeks. Episode 1 was tonight at 10 Atlantic time (and will be on CTV west at 2 Atlantic time). I don't know if they'll be bleeping.

On 8/14/2016 at 3:52 PM, AimingforYoko said:

2016 Political ads for the contenders for the Iron Throne

In 2012 either EW or Mother Jones, or both, put out some mock attack ads.

Dany's ad mentioned that her dad was nuts, Robb's made a point about hiring an illegal nanny (Osha) and Joffrey's talked about wanting to see the birth certificate.

It's too bad D&D were so serious with these because I think attack ads they would have been more fun.

• Love 1

The NYT interviewed Miguel Sapochnik, who directed the last two episodes of Season 6, among others.

I was amused when he said

The dragon on set is essentially a 14-foot green pole with a little green ball on the top of it. More often than not, it was me swinging it around and shouting cues for people to know the dragon was passing over them; the ball was there for an eye line. Amazingly, somehow when the dragon’s on set — which, again, is literally a pole — people get excited.

The full interview is at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/arts/television/game-of-thrones-miguel-sapochnik-emmy-awards.html

• Love 1
On 8/24/2016 at 2:11 PM, Constantinople said:

In 2012 either EW or Mother Jones, or both, put out some mock attack ads.

Dany's ad mentioned that her dad was nuts, Robb's made a point about hiring an illegal nanny (Osha) and Joffrey's talked about wanting to see the birth certificate.

It's too bad D&D were so serious with these because I think attack ads they would have been more fun.

Someone in marketing listened to your feedback.

(There are also new vids up for Jon and Dany but their campaigns didn't bother with attack ads.)

Hollywood's 50 Favorite Female Characters

44. Sansa Stark
Sansa takes a lot of flak from GOT fans. She can't fight or wield a sword, and she's girly in ways the other women aren't. But that's what made her greatest moment — feeding torturer Ramsay Bolton to the dogs — so emotionally satisfying, especially to Turner. "It's Sansa's first kill, and it's such a strong moment for her because all her life she's been affected by these men who have just done such terrible things to her."

38. Brienne of Tarth
Theories abound that Brienne of Tarth is based on Joan of Arc (catch the alliteration?), but not so, says GOT author George R.R. Martin, who has confessed another inspiration: Xena (No. 33). "I did not think it was an accurate portrayal of what a woman warrior was or would be. I created Brienne of Tarth as an answer to that. I was inspired by the queens of Scottish history and Lady Macbeth — strong women who didn't put on chain-mail bikinis to go forth into battle."

34. Cersei Lannister
She's the one who coined the series meme-iest catchphrase — "You win or you die" — and so far, she seems to be winning. Nobody has killed off more enemies more spectacularly. "Isn't it obvious?" Headey once replied when asked who should finally win the throne in the end. "I genuinely think Cersei is like, 'It's going to happen if I just get rid of everybody.' "

16. Arya Stark
Few characters have suffered as much — father executed, family slaughtered, sight taken by the faceless men — as Arya Stark. Fans love her single-minded drive (she keeps a list of people she'd like to kill), gender nonconformity (she dresses like a boy) and her absolute loyalty. Williams sounds just as single-minded. Her hopes for what her character does next on the series: "Kill more people."

8. Daenerys Targaryen
Five characters from the fantasy series — the most successful show in HBO's history — made this list. But none of the others have their own dragons. Clarke's inspirations: Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth and her own "strong mum," who had a "naive and beautiful" notion that men and women were equals.

Edited by Aziraphale
How could I forget Brienne?
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, riley702 said:

Theories abound that Brienne of Tarth is based on Joan of Arc (catch the alliteration?)

Umm, that's not an alliteration, Hollywood Reporter. Semi-rhymey, maybe.

I re-read that about 20 times looking for an alliteration that maybe I missed, ultimately thinking maybe I don't really know what alliteration entirely means.  I'm glad you said that.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

Sorry, I don't agree with this. At worse she is the villain, at best she is a petulant child in a grown woman's body.  People don't treat her as she wishes to be treated...so she blows everybody up at church, but hey, she isn't the villain!

I agree with you. I'd be on board with Cersei being a victim of her own gender 1) if she was fighting for other women's rights instead of being heinous toward them 2) if all the women in that world weren't victims of their own gender without turning out like her 3) if she weren't instrumental in the fact that her gender was used against her (the walk). She didn't have the balls to fight for what she truly wanted, and she got it through murder and deception instead. I think she's layered. I rooted against some of her enemies, a a woman I couldn't rejoice at some of her plights. But when your cheekbones are your only redeeming quality left you're a villain in my book.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I agree with you. I'd be on board with Cersei being a victim of her own gender 1) if she was fighting for other women's rights instead of being heinous toward them 2) if all the women in that world weren't victims of their own gender without turning out like her 3) if she weren't instrumental in the fact that her gender was used against her (the walk). She didn't have the balls to fight for what she truly wanted, and she got it through murder and deception instead. I think she's layered. I rooted against some of her enemies, a a woman I couldn't rejoice at some of her plights. But when your cheekbones are your only redeeming quality left you're a villain in my book.

I get the whole gender thing, but Dany was in an arguable shitter situation than her and she was able to make it (and the situation of that served her) better, even pre-Dragons and I speak of someone that isn't a fan. Lady Olenna and Maragery Tyrell managed to become the de facto head of House Tyrell, and it isn't like the Reach is anymore progressive than Castey Rock. Even though Cersei realized Joffery was a complete monster, I don't think it really registered with that her that Maragery being married to him would have been 10x worse than her marriage to Robert, but Maragery was still better able at manipulating Joffrey than she Robert. The rest was just bullshit. We can say both Maragery and Shira were also "doomed by fate" but both managed to be kind to people (though arguably in the case of Maragery her helping of the poor was in her self interest), a lot of Cersei's problems were largely because of Cersei: she put the Sparrows in power to get back at Maragery, she helped stage the coup for the throne when Ned discovered that Robert's heirs didn't share a drop of his blood, even though Ned would have tried to prevent them all from being executed. Her knee jerk reaction to thinking Tyrion killed her son, when even Tywin knew that Tyrion would be so fool to kill Joffrey in such an open manner lead to Oberyn dying and the vendetta of the Sand Snakes. The only way Tyrion "hurt her" is when their mother died during childbirth and that could be more Tywin's fault. Usually Tyrion is retaliating against shit she has pulled, and it seems the author has forgotten the scores of innocent people that have died directly from her actions. 

1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I get the whole gender thing, but Dany was in an arguable shitter situation than her and she was able to make it (and the situation of that served her) better, even pre-Dragons and I speak of someone that isn't a fan. Lady Olenna and Maragery Tyrell managed to become the de facto head of House Tyrell, and it isn't like the Reach is anymore progressive than Castey Rock. Even though Cersei realized Joffery was a complete monster, I don't think it really registered with that her that Maragery being married to him would have been 10x worse than her marriage to Robert, but Maragery was still better able at manipulating Joffrey than she Robert. The rest was just bullshit. We can say both Maragery and Shira were also "doomed by fate" but both managed to be kind to people (though arguably in the case of Maragery her helping of the poor was in her self interest), a lot of Cersei's problems were largely because of Cersei: she put the Sparrows in power to get back at Maragery, she helped stage the coup for the throne when Ned discovered that Robert's heirs didn't share a drop of his blood, even though Ned would have tried to prevent them all from being executed. Her knee jerk reaction to thinking Tyrion killed her son, when even Tywin knew that Tyrion would be so fool to kill Joffrey in such an open manner lead to Oberyn dying and the vendetta of the Sand Snakes. The only way Tyrion "hurt her" is when their mother died during childbirth and that could be more Tywin's fault. Usually Tyrion is retaliating against shit she has pulled, and it seems the author has forgotten the scores of innocent people that have died directly from her actions. 

I wholeheartedly agree, and that's what I meant in case I wasn't clear: all the women in ASOIAF suffered from the same prejudice yet didn't turn out like Cersei. I can't rejoice when Cersei is humiliated because she's a woman, but her gender isn't an excuse for her wrongdoings.

To go back to the article, I have the feeling that they need to justify everything the character did because they feel for her/understand her perspective at times; in spite of the intro about grey characters.

• Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, WearyTraveler said:

I'm in London, so, no..... What is the stunt?

It looks like they're announcing the premiere date, and it's inside a block of ice...that they're just going to let slowly melt until it's revealed? Looks like the stunt is done now (premiering July 16th), but people were very confused.

Edited by stagmania
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, stagmania said:

Are people watching this weird block of ice stunt? What on earth.

I watched about 15 seconds of it, realized that I had better things to do, and moved on without commenting "fire" or "dracarys."   I did read a few of the comments, though, and some were pretty dang funny.

• Love 1

Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss took the stage at SXSW to speak about their hit HBO series. Of the biggest news to come out of the panel was that the eighth and final season is slated to only have six episodes, two less than the upcoming eight-episode Season 7. While no specific plot details were revealed about what’s to come, there was talk on the future of Thrones.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/game-of-thrones-sxsw-ed-sheeran-potential-spinoff-final-episodes-1202041990/

I can't believe the final season will only have six episodes.

21 hours ago, fellini said:

Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss took the stage at SXSW to speak about their hit HBO series. Of the biggest news to come out of the panel was that the eighth and final season is slated to only have six episodes, two less than the upcoming eight-episode Season 7. While no specific plot details were revealed about what’s to come, there was talk on the future of Thrones.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/game-of-thrones-sxsw-ed-sheeran-potential-spinoff-final-episodes-1202041990/

Only six episodes? HBO exes must be crying. They will push for more.

On 2017-03-13 at 8:06 PM, SimoneS said:

Only six episodes? HBO exes must be crying. They will push for more.

Pre- production work on this season is surely already underway.  This is set down at this point.