Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: The Sisters Mills

...niece? I thought it was the nephew?

It was really dark, but I liked what i could see of the monster.

I think someone in another thread called it: Betsy Ross was out of time; she was a modern woman sent back to the Revolution. No other explanation for how out of place she was.

• Love 2

Loved, loved loved Jenny and Abbie's discussion about their room when they were kids and the talk about finding their father. So glad we're getting more POV from Abbie and Jenny. I'm excited to see where this story around their father will go. I also throughly enjoyed Crane's conversation with Joe. Great chemistry between these four.

I did not see Abbie getting knocked unconscious. Why oh why didn't Crane and Jenny have someone with Abbie at all times? She is a Witness and Pandora is on the loose. Did they not think she could be at risk? Obviously not since they left her unattended at the hospital. I'm glad Pandora didn't hurt her, but for a minute there I was worried. Glad Abbie told Crane about her visit.

Speaking of Pandora, she is straight up creepy. Now this is the type of witch we should've had working with the horseman from the beginning. Still what is her agenda. Surely all these monsters of the week are building towards something? I can only hope. Because right now she doesn't seem to be phased by losing all these battles to the Witnesses. I did not get her conversation with Abbie at all. I need to watch that scene again.

The "tooth fairy" was creepy and just weird. Lol.

We DID NOT need that follow up scene with Betsy Ross. It almost ruined the entire episode.

What exactly did Crane get done at the dentist? Surely they didn't put him under to clean his teeth? He was pretty loopy, and funny, for it to be a preventive visit.

Questionable things:

I'm surprised Abbie's ex/boss didn't come see her in the hospital.

Would Abbie, Crane and Jenny be able to access those kids so easily? Questioning them about monsters in their rooms? Showing up at their play houses etc.

Another strong episode. I'm actually looking forward to the crossover next week.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 10

Man, that phrasing from Betsy Ross was ridiculous.  "Go with it", "over thinking"?  That whole little sequence screamed 21st century.  Either the writers screwed up, (which would be weird, given the abundance of Crane 18th century speak, in this episode... almost too much of that, btw... a little goes a long way, writers) or they're trying to get at something else... the Betsy out of time theory.  Or maybe we're meant to think that last scene was all his anesthesia-induced hallucination, and that's why she was speaking as a modern woman?  Still... very weird vibe there.

Still... rolled my eyes when Crane first said her name.  "Betsy Ross"... to which, I said out loud "of course." Blah.

Loved that Jenny and Abbie could have a fight in the car, and maintain their closeness, as sisters do.  Well done, writers.  This is how to write a great sisterly bond.  Also liked Ichabod's concern for Abby, while he also felt a bit like he was intruding and could be of better service continuing with the research.

Ichabod coming off anesthesia at the dentist was hilarious.  Had to rewatch that part.  Pandora there as Abbie came around was creepy as hell, though.  And why, if they can take the time to have a hospital set for Abbie, couldn't they have let Ichabod's recovery scene last week be in a hospital, where he belonged?  I had just speculated that they couldn't afford to do another set, or something, but that theory just went out the window.  The emoji was adorable though.

Finally... I am so freaking glad my kids are no longer little.  I seriously hope no children, anywhere, were watching this episode. LOL  That was a hell of a creepy monster.  Eesh.

ETA:  Yes, on access to the kids... WTH?  And Crane should never, ever be in charge of talking to kids again.  He was hilariously bad at connecting with them... which I'm sure is what they were going for... but my goodness, it was cringeworthy.

Edited by CalamityBoPeep
  • Love 4

And why, if they can take the time to have a hospital set for Abbie, couldn't they have let Ichabod's recovery scene last week be in a hospital, where he belonged?

No insurance?

ETA - Pandora is impossible for me to hear . High register, whispers.

Edited by pcta
  • Love 2

She gave her a tooth to lure the monster; i think Pandora wanted her to get eaten next. But it looks like the girl told Crane and he was waiting for it.

Edited by janeta

Well, the Betsy Ross scenes... did not improve with a week off. Just wow. So not good. And they really need to clarify the FB timeline in relation to Katrina for me.

Crane slouched across the chair, playing a video game, eating crap, and not studying totally cracked me up. He's learned how to procrastinate the 21st century way.

Sweet scenes with the Mills sisters.

Is Pandora's tree blooming every time the Witnesses doubt? I think Pandora has been an awesome villain.

I also got a kick Abbie just making herself at home with Crane's phone, boldly scrolling through his texts.

I always like Jenny and Crane working a case together.

Good episode, I thought. Here's hoping the cross-over next week will mean now SBR scenes.

• Love 10

No insurance?

Hospitals legally have to treat emergency cases though, insurance or not.  And I can't imagine any hospital would let a patient who had been so close to death just go recover at home, when he was still on such potent drugs.  It seemed like it was the same day or the day after he'd been stabbed.

Anyway... I'm glad Abbie got medical care in this episode, though even then, she was left unattended when her monitors started going nuts.  You'd think the nurses would have noticed that.  Maybe Sleepy Hollow just has a sucky hospital.... maybe a sister hospital to Seattle Grace.

Dental care in Sleepy Hollow is pretty impressive, on the other hand, if they give you the good drugs for a cleaning... 

• Love 5

With so little screen time in the last couple of episodes, I was starting to think that Betsy Wetsy was on her way out. After that last scene I'm not so sure. Her presence takes me right out of the show. I also want to know about the niece and nephew. Where were the parents and why was she looking after them? 

It was a good episode. It started out looking like an early episode of Supernatural, but they changed it up pretty well. They did a good job with the monster. 

I really like the interaction between the Mills Sisters. 

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 3
We DID NOT need that follow up scene with Betsy Ross. It almost ruined the entire episode.

/start ship

I had to review it and analyze it, but there is a total purpose to this scene. It is a means to an end, and Ichabbie shippers will love it. What did BR say? Paraphrased -  because I cannot remember the exact sentence - but basically Crane apologized to her for getting feelings for BR, because of the work they were doing. He developed 'feelings' - however deep or superficial - to her. Now, let's go back in time to Season 1 - specifically Necromancer, I believe. Crane and Abbie are in the Archives waiting and have a little conversation. Basically, Crane tells Abbie about how Katrina thought too that by mixing "business with pleasure" (I'm paraphrasing), that she was too "worried how their dalliance would affect their work for the cause (Washington/Rev War.)". Also notice who is the instigator in these cases (the woman).

Hmm...So here we have Crane working with BR, thinks he needs to maintain work/personal separation, gets emotions for her anyway (maybe even a 'dalliance'). He basically tries to maintain business only, but caves. Same applies to Katrina. Work first, wife/lover later, but weak-willed man. Now I am sure people will apply this to Miss Corinth, and I am sure the show will try to point directly to her. But who is the OTHER character who Crane works with so well?? (well, Miss Jenny too, but the character who he REALLY is amazing with??)

Miss Grace Abigail Mills.

Now ask yourself, what was Crane's reaction when he thought Paul Revere had a thing to BR? Now contrast/compare Crane's reaction to these individuals interacting with Abbie:  a) Luke in season one, b) Hawley in season 2 and c) Daniel in season three?

Makes you think....

Now add the previously BR comment - that "one day, a woman would make him lose his stiff propriety..." A woman who he works with, in spy-ish adventures, and secret ambushes and basically saving the world. A woman who he can be himself with, goofy as fuck, propping his legs up on a couch, being all relaxed, playful and just himself. I believe that woman's name would be Grace Abbie Mills.

(don't mistake the video game playing for laziness (no way) and whatever. He was relaxed there - not focused on propriety, stiff-upper-lipness, and being all appropriate behaved. Dude is relaxed and comfortable with Abbie. Big big thing. The comfort level between these two this season is amazing).

Just saying. Then reading the next Bones/X-Crossover episode...yeah, it's gonna happen.

/end ship

Okay, overall, have to say that I loved this episode. Really well done. First and foremost - is Shannon Sossaman not killing it - no, destroying it - as Pandora? She really is. Excellent casting. And remember, most of her scenes are her alone, acting against nothing, or just a subtle intro/exit to cause panic. Love it to death. Just her, as nurse, walking confidently down the hallways, you KNOW she's gonna cause problems.

I will say - that Moloch was yes evil, but no where near as calculating, devious and just plain enjoyable as Pandora. Henry isn't even on the list for me, at this point. Well done, SS, and show. She deserves so much kudos. This is yet another example of great casting (IMO) and Shannon is doing a fantastic job. I'm very much looking forward to her interaction with Crane, but dammit, she has Abbie in her sights. She see Abbie in herself, I think, and relates, in a weird twisted way. Her telling Abbie snippets about her previous life/existance was heart-breaking. Is it wrong that I side with her?

Now, Tooth Fairy. Okay, when I first read it as the villian a few weeks ago, I kinda cringed. Really, the Tooth Fairy? But this fairy tale/monster narrative was amazingly done. A monster that adults cannot see, but kids can? So totally explaining kids claiming a monster under the bed/in closet,yet the parents just "tut, tut" them. Perfect and creepy. And okay, that monster was creepy as hell and kinda - I don't know. Proboscis probing and straddling a kid - I don't know man, but that truly creeped me out. Like, this is allowed on TV type of shock, but yeah, well done show, because completely creepy. Just purely messed up. That was something I'd never thought I'd see on such a PG-determined show.

But I love the transition from the way to eliminate the creature (silver coin/silver weapon/silver in general) to the current tradition of giving a kid money for losing a tooth. It is a seemless transition that does the SH twistory well. Loved it.

Now - Jenny and Abbie. Personally, I simply LOVED Jenny admitting to Abbie, "Yeah, I found Dad 5 years ago." Shrug. LOVE THAT. Jenny is practical also, and I totally understand her POV. She didn't know her Dad, she had no relationship - so why the drama? This speaks personally to me, but what a contrast to last season - i.e. Crane doesn't know son, still angst's over him. Seriously, Jenny, you are the best!! It honestly is one of the most refreshing scenes I've seen on TV. To have a character not become a emotional mess or emotionally lost over simple logic. I didn't know him, the guy wasn't there. Simple. THIS is what bothered me about season 2, and the whole Crane, "my son, my son, BS." Jenny spoke what I believe and have always believed. I love you, Jennifer!

And this episode had the much wanted (for me), Jenny/Crane scenes. Love those two together. Please give me some more!

The goofy Crane scenes. I'm a little bit torn. I think Tom Mison is bloody gifted in general. This episode (and previous) he has showed us that he is awesome at comedy like this. I mean, we had the pratfalls, the goofy attempts at him being well, goofy, the drugged-up Crane, and he is bloody brilliant at it. Truly. Think about the contrast. Crusty, stiff-upper-lip, reserved Crane, Crane ranting about something, then you get loving vow-spouting Crane, then you get the goofball to the extreme, all in the same episode. It's  (one of the reasons) why I admire Mison (besides his brains and snark). He can change into so many personas that it's ridiculous. Fantastic actor.

But I hope they don't reduce Crane into a joke for this season. He's much more complex than this. A goofball yes in certain times, but he needs that complexity too (and no, season 2 did not provide that complexity).

And I want someone to transcribe EXACTLY what Pandora told Abbie. Abbie in a hospital! My baby! But Pandora visiting her, and basically stating how different she is, from the others, and how her father is messing with her. I need a transcript because there was so much information in there, but the weird/yet effective editing kind of distorted.

This was a good episode. Really good. Truly good. I quite enjoyed it.

Oh, and you writers having Pandora call Abbie a "Sleepyhead...? Yeah, fuck off....But you know what (honestly)...I smiled at that. I really did. Yeah, I loved that to death. Seriously. Thank you. Nice touch, writers.

• Love 13

Now that was a good monster.  Creepy as hell.  The storyline reminded me a little of the Buffy episode "Killed by Death" in which children were attacked by a monster they could only see when feverish. 

I didn't mind Betsy in the scenes by her niece's bedside, and was hoping that was all we'd see of her, but then she had to show up at the end and urge Crane to "go with it."  Seriously?  Please, writers, get rid of her.  She's not working for the show.  Otherwise, I thought it was a really good episode.

I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to the Halloween crossover.  I don't know if they'll be able to pull it off, but it looks like fun.

• Love 3

Really good use of Jenny.  Nice to see her and Crane working together.  Also i liked Crane & Joe hanging out for a bit.

I am enjoying Pandora more and more.  Seriously, her lines are not deep or especially thought provoking.  In some cases they are downright corny but she is clearly a case of an actress who is really owning her role.   Her scenes with Abbie was great and have a nice air of menace and a border on a the intimate.  I mean, Pandy treats Abbie like they have a connection themselves.  It isn't in anything she says but it all in the body language of the actress.  Shannyn Sossamon really is doing a great job.

Which brings me to Besty Ross.  I tried.  Lord knows I have.  But she is comically bad as both a concept and as an actor.  Her flashbacks just feel lazy and shoehorned in.  They don't have quite the zing that flashbacks had in S1 & even S2.  You can remove them and they would not affect the show at all.    If Pandora is a home run, then Betsy is a strike out.  Just wrong all over the place.

The monster was creepy as fuck.  I mean when it sorta attached itself to the wall in that kid's room I think I jumped. 

I think it is hysterical how Jenny, Abbie & ichabod can all just go and hang with kids, lurk outside their houses at night, give them money, fight demons with them.  It's all cool.  LOL

Ichabod's reaction to his emoji was funny. 

Zoe sounds like a stage five clinger.

• Love 13

Pandora gets creepier every episode, well-done. She is extremely unsettling to me and that evil tooth fairy was very disturbing, I was frightened for those little kids just having to see it. I did not expect Abbie to get injured. It did lead to scenes with Ichabod and Jenny working together and they were delightful. I really appreciated the way the Scooby gang were mixed up out the ususal pairs rather than isolated. 

The scenes with Abbie and Jenny were wonderful. It was good to hear them talk about their past. I loved the exchange about their father.

Betsy Ross was out of time; she was a modern woman sent back to the Revolution. No other explanation for how out of place she was.

I've thought that it was a fun bit of fanwank, one that I've had fun indulging in. The possibility it could be an intentional direction really leapt out at me in this episode, it's not so much the modern way Nikki Reed speaks, the turns of phrase that are coming out of Betsy's mouth are anachronisms, "I shut you out"... what? .... that is a very contemporary turn of phrase and there were others, already mentioned up-thread.. It especially stuck out in an episode where Ichabod's colonial-speak was denser than ever. Maybe it's just careless writing. Maybe. But it's starting to seem deliberate.

Honestly any scene that openly flies in the face of possible Ichabbie shipping makes me cringe a little, but despite that, the ending scenes with Ichabod's memory/ fantasy about Betsy with the cut to the dentist's office was funny as hell to me.  (Plus Abbie has Ich in the friendzone. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) Still, I don't quite grasp how any flirtation with Betsy works out as anything other than disreputable given the timing of her marriages and his attachment to Katrina. 

Ichabod is terrible with children! Bwah!

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 4

Who wrote this episode? Because I love them.

This was such a good episode. They packed so much into it. We had all members of the group in different combinations... I freaking loved it.

• I loved Abbie and I am so worried about her because I think she is close to folding under the pressure. And they really make me worried about Jenny, because it's pretty clear that her rag-tag group is her family and she's afraid of losing them.
  • I loved Crane and his ott-ness and 
  • I loved Jenny sooo much .
  • Oh Pandora, you beautiful, creepy mess... It's funny last week made me think that I want more Abbie/Pandora scenes. Keep them coming! And her backstory sounded real to me, I hope it is. I hope she sold her soul for vengeance. Can't wait to learn more.
  • Gasp! I even liked Betsy Ross. She was actually a human being with a real personality. While her modern speech is still horrendous, the last scene didn't put me off either. I know, I am shocked. I hope they give her more scenes of not trying to be Strong Female CharacterTM. Oh, and I totally concur with the sent back in time idea.
  • And the kids were good, not annoying at all. And little Gregory was adorable
I will probably have more analytical and well thought out feedback but for now I just want to express my happiness...and propose to the writer. Edited by fantique
  • Love 2

The monster was creepy in the 'there is something in the closet' that all kids can relate to. Or something under the bed. I do wonder why the monsters choose the closet. Even on the paranormal shows, the ghost/demon likes it there too.

I was surprised that the monsterbusters had such easy access to the children. No talks with the parents to get permission, no working with child protective services/social workers, no flashing the FBI badge. Unless he is employed as some sort of consultant, Crane really has no business in any sort of investigation of that sort.

Perhaps Abbie seemed interested in Crane's phone because she's paying for it. Maybe it's a pay as you go type and Crane gets the minimum minutes and data. Zoe does seem a bit too helpful and perhaps it's time for some boundaries. But Crane probably likes the attention as it is right now.

Pandora is quite interesting. Still no motives. Had a tough time making out her dialogue in the hospital scene. The editing was a bit jarring and unfocused.

Betsy Ross can go. What happened to the greatest love - Katrina? Death becomes her. Not. Betsy's modern speech is puzzling. Perhaps she is a time traveller. Can't imagine that the writers would be sloppy.

Did like Jenny and Abbie as a team.

Perhaps Crane was a nervous dental patient who was given some laughing gas as part of his introduction to modern dentistry. With the new ultrasonic cleaning technique, his dental bib/towel should have been a little damp. Or removed as his procedure was over.

• Love 3

janeta, on 22 Oct 2015 - 7:03 PM, said:

I think someone in another thread called it: Betsy Ross was out of time; she was a modern woman sent back to the Revolution. No other explanation for how out of place she was.

I certainly won't claim to be that poster, but after the second episode with Betsy, I definitely came up with my own HeadCanon that gets me through her scenes: She's a reverse Crane, gone back in time, working to make sure everything stays on track for the Witnesses. I use this to justify her weird dialogue and poor grasp of how to wear the current clothing (just like Crane). It could also explain how she knew how to defend herself against that ghost or to call Revere to save her family and where she is getting information from. Crane uses his memories to solve modern mysteries; perhaps she is using history books (and knowing Crane in the future?) to navigate the past. This possibly falls apart (or gets more interesting) if she is using the false facts in history books and not the real facts as Crane recalls them.

It's basically an elaborate way of my brain defending itself against the idea that the show wouldn't try to foist something this flawed off on us with no reason. But then I stop and think about Katrina, so who knows. Maybe I am giving them too much credit that Pandora and Corbin and Betsy are all going to make sense soon.

I really love Ichabod and Jenny's side missions. It works for me as a way to keep her in on the cases, but plausibly free Abbie up to go do her day job. Abbie is amused by Crane's antics, but Jenny is genuinely delighted by them. Abbie seems to keep forgetting that she doesn't really know or understand Jenny all that well, considering the state their relationship was in when the series began and how little she is aware of Jenny's interactions with Corbin and the supernatural relic business. Why was she even surprised that Jenny already had tabs on their dad?

Haha, Pandora called Abbie "SleepyHead". I really liked her in this episode a lot.

This episode felt long, but in a good way. It was silly, funny, scary, touching and all the scenes seemed to flow really well together and set us up for some good stuff. Leave it to this show to re-invent the tooth fairy. I will never be able to Bridge Pose in yoga class without thinking of that creepy monster again.

Edited by Delwyn
  • Love 6

The title didn't lie and I loved all the Jenny/Abbie scenes.

There's one thing that puzzled me, though, but probably it's my memory failing me. Weren't Abbie and Jenny estranged, five years ago? I seem to remember that they only reconciled during S1, and then they didn't have much time to put Daddy on the table, Apocalypse and all.

I'm relieved that Jenny and Joe are brought into the fold and the Joe/Ichabod scene made me laugh.

I have the feeling that Betsy Ross and Miss Zoe's point is to be part of the "Ichabod playing the field storyline" that according to some rumors last year, the Suits wanted. I can't say I'm happy if this one reveals true because aside from the text thing that was funny for one episode, I don't think it brings anything to the show in general.

I laughed at Jenny with her camera, "This is too good", and Ichabod's rant about history was pure gold.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

This was the first season 3 episode that I truly enjoyed. There was great character interaction with different pairings, good emotional beats between the sisters, and the MoTW was really creepy. I also continue to enjoy Pandora, although I really want her to reveal her grand plan soon. The only things I didn't like were Crane was a bit too much the comic relief and Betsy was completely superfluous to the plot (Paul Revere would have been just fine on his own).

There's one thing that puzzled me, though, but probably it's my memory failing me. Weren't Abbie and Jenny estranged, five years ago?

Yup. But we know that Jenny was either in some foster home or some place she could get out of. She easily could have gotten the info, or escaped and travelled to wherever to get said info or artifact without anyone knowing. Jenny didn't reconnect with her sister until probably 1.5 years ago. And even then, trust issues, time issues, etc etc.

Great Mills-Sister episode. So many questions.....

• Love 2

We didn't need either scene with Betsy.  Anyone close to Crane (an Army buddy, maybe) with young children -- their own would be better -- would have worked.  

The drills at the end were the slowest I've ever seen.  Nikki Reed must not be able to fence at all. But loading and firing exercises or bayonet drills would have been more likely.

This episode felt long, but in a good way..

It moved very quickly for me.  I was surprised how it flowed.

I agree that Pandora is the best "monster" I've seen in quite some time -- ranking with the best of the BtVS baddies.

===================================================================

The showrunners said "Trust us."  I'm glad I did now.

• Love 3

I thought the Tooth Fairy was one of the creepier creatures on this show.  Even made me jump a few times, which is rare for me.  But I'm still hoping they are going somewhere good with the whole "Pandora is releasing creatures of the week" plot, because it does feel repetitive.

Any episode that heavily features the Mills sisters and their relationship, is good in my book, so I enjoyed all of their stuff.  I'm glad Abbie already told Jenny what she know, only to find out that (of course), Jenny knew about their dad even earlier.  Most shows would have drugged that entire thing even longer.  Also like that Jenny is reading Abbie into what is going on with her and Joe, so hopefully we'll be getting more Mills sisters kicking ass in future episodes.

What could be better then Ichabod awkwardly texting an obvious crush? Ichabod teaching kids about the real George Washington (I would so attend a class where Ichabod just rants about what really happened back then).  What was better then that? Ichabod high at the dentist office!  But, what could even top that?  Ichabod emoji!!

Congrats to Zach Appleman and Lance Gross for getting into the credits already.

Oh, look: Betsy Ross is already back.  While I have several complaints about her to say the least, the biggest continues to be how she/Nikki Reed sounds so modern, so it takes me completely out of all of the scenes.  She has to be a time-traveler or something.  That is the only way this can work.  Until then, I feel like I'm just watching someone play dress up.

• Love 2

Finally a scary monster. Well done, show.

I hoped the episode would be more like Mama, with a heavier focus on the Mills sisters. It must have been the title that confused me. It wasn't even close to the brilliance and impact of that episode, but it still had some good moments.

While I liked the reveal that Jenny had already found their father first, I can't completely buy she would do that, given the fact that her interest in him is subzero (according to her), so it felt somewhat unjustified. At least there wasn't too much drama about it and Abbie can make her next move on her own.

It's funny to me that the age gap between the sisters keeps getting larger between seasons and yet Abbie looks 10 years younger than Jenny.

The Ichy & Sexy!Smart!Betsy romance continues to fail abysmally. They are in direct competition with Ichatrina for negative chemistry and absurdity. I have to say though, that instead of cringing, I've embraced the ridiculousness of it all and I'm enjoying Mison's obvious physical struggle to portray any sexy physicall contact with his counterparts. He was so uncomfortable during the kiss, I couldn't stop laughing.

I think Tom Mison is at his most convincing at being goofy and a comic relief, so I wish the writers embraced that, instead of trying to sell him as a sex magnet and putting him in horrible romantic situations. That's why his romance with Zoe is the most convincing yet, although that will stop, once they move from the texting phase to kissing. I still think that relationship could work, though. Ichy marries Zoe (off screen), he gets his green card, he forms a family with her (off screen) and I get to know about their relationship through their weird texting. That would be awesome.

Although the show tried to present it as good-natured, objectively, throwing Abbie's secret about her father to her face was despicable. A friendly reminder that Abbie should never ever share anything important with Ichy or he'll use it as a weapon, the first opportunity he has.

What was Pandora babbling to Abbie? I could only catch bits.

Pandora's daddy beat her because God, she sees that Abbie has insecurities, and prelapsarian was on her word of the day calendar but she doesn't know what it means.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Man, that phrasing from Betsy Ross was ridiculous.  "Go with it", "over thinking"?  That whole little sequence screamed 21st century.  Either the writers screwed up, (which would be weird, given the abundance of Crane 18th century speak, in this episode... almost too much of that, btw... a little goes a long way, writers) or they're trying to get at something else... the Betsy out of time theory.  Or maybe we're meant to think that last scene was all his anesthesia-induced hallucination, and that's why she was speaking as a modern woman? 

<SNIP>

ETA:  Yes, on access to the kids... WTH?  And Crane should never, ever be in charge of talking to kids again.  He was hilariously bad at connecting with them... which I'm sure is what they were going for... but my goodness, it was cringeworthy.

I'm thinking they originally wrote period appropriate dialogue for SBR, but the actress couldn't handle it at all.

I'm glad Crane was laughably poor with the children.  I did enjoy his taking over the phone conversation with the museum curator that had Revere's dentistry bag.

The monster was creepy in the 'there is something in the closet' that all kids can relate to. Or something under the bed. I do wonder why the monsters choose the closet. Even on the paranormal shows, the ghost/demon likes it there too.

<SNIP>

Betsy Ross can go. What happened to the greatest love - Katrina? Death becomes her. Not. Betsy's modern speech is puzzling. Perhaps she is a time traveller. Can't imagine that the writers would be sloppy.

I was rejoiced at having a S1 level scare going on during the ep!

SBR still benefits by virtue of being NotKatrina!.  And since the dialogue has had very few references to Katrina - and I greatly appreciate that - SBR is the lesser of two boll weevils.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3

4 for 4.  Another really good episode and I'm so happy that Sleepy Hollow is back to being the same kind of fun it was in the first season.

After more than two seasons, Crane vs The 21st Century never gets old and that's a legitimate credit to both the writers and TM.  It still remains one of, if not the highlight of this show.  Crane vs The Revolution and the Founders ain't bad either, like him complaining about how bad of a dentist Paul Revere is.

Some great interaction between the Mills sisters.  After being sidelined for much of Season 3, I’m loving Jenny’s greater role in things this year.  Joe Corbin makes a nice addition to the cast and I enjoyed his interaction with Ichabod.

Pandora continues to remain a creepy and effective villain.  The show has done well with her so far and the Tooth Fairy was a legitimately scary monster, both in appearance and concept.

While Pandora remains an effective villain, I do agree that a repetitiveness has set in among the first four stories.  Pandora unleashing a new monster of the week is similar to what Henry was doing last season.  Next week’s crossover looks like it might shake that up a little.

Betsy Ross…yeah.  I don’t want to pile on but the character has been a complete bust and her talking like she’s from the 21st century is jarring.

I’m really looking forward to the crossover next week, even though I’ve only ever watched one episode of Bones.  It looks like it’s going to be fun.

• Love 6
Betsy Ross…yeah.  I don’t want to pile on but the character has been a complete bust and her talking like she’s from the 21st century is jarring.

Which is apparently what they were going for

1443706669401.jpg

• Love 3

The best chemistry so far this season has been between Abbie and Pandora. I live for their scenes together. I'm not usually into shipping villains with heroes, but they have this incredible red-hot chemistry, that make me wish Pandora abandoned her evil ways, let Abbie make an honest woman of her and have beautiful kids together. UNF.

It's so funny to know that, in a time when Ichabod was into both Katrina and Sexy!Betsy!Ross, his choice for his one true love was the lowest common denominator. Because, let's face it, between the two, Betsy is far more useful, lively and human-looking. It gives me an idea of the type of woman he really is into. Zoe is being far too useful, so she better hope no other useless woman with a blank face comes to his life in the present or he'll dump her with a quickness.

• Love 1

Oh, Sleepy Hollow, I’m so happy I decided to jump on the S3 train!  You’ve laid your new foundation and now let the games begin!  There’s a town!  SH actually has more than seven inhabitants and it’s clear why evil loves to dwell there.  The townspeople of SH are oblivious: You live in SH, your kid says “I see monsters” and Dad just pooh-pooh’s them without Mom interjecting:  “What about that bell incident last year, remember what our babysitter said happened at that café?  And I’ve heard rumors about what went down with Capt Irving . . .”    SH is a town with long term memory loss.  No wonder evil sticks around!

You rule, Pandora!  You just slink about town, dropping bombshells along the way, and then calmly go about your business:

You’re so pretty horsie, now get in this box.
Yes, officer, I know you saw me change outfits, but I really didn’t you know.
I’m so happy you got a cell phone signal but it won’t save you.
Abbie, you’re going to be so alone you won’t even have cats.
Meet me at the club loner boy, I’ll have the knife prepared.
I’m a nurse little girl and that woman is wrong.  Your sister is as good as dead. 

I couldn’t understand a word of what Pandora told Abbie in that hospital room but I know it wasn’t “ring the bell if you need me”.  When somebody translates that scene, please post it!  BTW -  The nurses station probably didn’t notice Abbie’s monitor going off because the room was sealed with the “Pandora Force Field” LOL. 

I now stand with other posters and now believe everything SBR! says or does is on purpose.  I believe the whole ultimate woman, sexy Betsy promotion was a red herring to not only conceal Betsy is a woman out of time, but my shipper heart stands with HalcyonDays that all of SBR! remarks to Ichabod signal Endgame.  I’ll even add another clue with Ichabod’s and Joe’s car conversation.  Joe told Ichabod the Mills girls love to play matchmaker but warned him never to take their advice. Later, Abbie is acting all, oh that Zoe would be nice girl for you.  Hmmm.  I bet Pandora knows the real deal and she’s going to work it.  Go for it, Cliff! 

I’m with you show and can’t wait for the crossover!

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 3

She gave her a tooth to lure the monster; i think Pandora wanted her to get eaten next. But it looks like the girl told Crane and he was waiting for it.

My impression was that Abbie tipped off Crane that the tooth fairy was going after the other sister.  Because Pandora said something along the lines of "I hope you haven't gotten too attached to those little girls..."   And she was on the phone with Crane to see that the girl in the coma woke up

• Love 4

The creators managed to hold right balance of the elements of the show. It's very reassuring for me as a viewer who likes intriguing plotting and strong character interactions. There were minor details that I didn't care for but overall it was a very nice hour of supernatural tv.

Pandora (and Shannyn Sossamon) continues to deliver. She was creepy and magnificent at the same time. I consider her conversation with Abbie to be the best part of the episode. So much hidden menace and manipulation! It's like she like a serial killer that wants for a brilliant detective to catch them already. Also? "Hello, Sleepyhead!"? I think the writers are messing with us :).

Team Witness was at its best. Ichabod and Joe having reluctant bonding moment about romance (very awkward), Abbie and Jenny talking about their childhood with their dad, Abbie finally coming clean about their father and Jenny's curve-ball. It was all very good. I also liked Jenny's concern for and identifying with the little girl. Ichabod and Jenny hunting down the bad guy was awesome.

The Tooth Fairy was gross and real in a visceral way.

I must say Ichabod went way over the top in this episode. I felt Mison was trying to hard in the scenes with little girl (who is a not a good actress to pull the exchange off). And then he was way too formal in the hospital at Abbie's bedside (I blame the writers here), and the last part with the dentist was kind of... cringe-worthy and not that funny.

We again had the same editing issue that plagued the show from the first episode. This time we didn't have a proper follow up with Abbie and Ichabod, and it was all business very quickly.

The Betsy Ross subplot looks out of place and random in this show, even if it heavily involves Ichabod Crane and his long hair. It breaks the flow of the proceedings and it halts to a sudden stop. It isn't working. The actress that plays Betsy is phony as hell and the romance is forced.

I think if they have to write Betsy as a time traveler, it would only explain one thing - why she sound so out of place.

They would have to explain how she got any relatives at all and why she looks after them. Also, who looks after them while she's fumbling around trying to be a spy for George Washington. If they had found an actress who could sound like she fits in, it would have been more of a surprise. 

I think the producers know she's not working out and that's why her role has been so reduced. I wouldn't care if they dropped the character without any explanation, but I suppose they have to find a way to phase her out. 

The worst thing they could do is bring her to the present time as competition for Zoe. 

I may be one of the few who found Zoe very uninteresting and I'm bored with that angle. The texting is kind of funny, but as long as she stays off screen, I'm okay with her. 

• Love 3

I'm thinking they originally wrote period appropriate dialogue for SBR, but the actress couldn't handle it at all.

I'm glad Crane was laughably poor with the children.  I did enjoy his taking over the phone conversation with the museum curator that had Revere's dentistry bag.

I was rejoiced at having a S1 level scare going on during the ep!

SBR still benefits by virtue of being NotKatrina!.  And since the dialogue has had very few references to Katrina - and I greatly appreciate that - SBR is the lesser of two boll weevils.

But, but... How? Does she have speech impediment? Can't she read? Because otherwise there is no excuse. If I can act out a bit from Arthur Miller's The Crucible, and English is not my even first language, I am sure that someone who gets paid for acting can at least be passably OK at it? The worst is, in the scenes with her niece she actually wasn't bad. Granted there wasn't much talking but she didn't try so hard which made her a much easier pill to swallow. Maybe she should just not...talk? At this point, I have to believe this is purposeful. Please show.

Which is apparently what they were going for

1443706669401.jpg

I love you. So. MUCH! 

You’re so pretty horsie, now get in this box.

Yes, officer, I know you saw me change outfits, but I really didn’t you know.

I’m so happy you got a cell phone signal but it won’t save you.

Abbie, you’re going to be so alone you won’t even have cats.

Meet me at the club loner boy, I’ll have the knife prepared.

I’m a nurse little girl and that woman is wrong.  Your sister is as good as dead. 

This is why I am here with you beautiful people. This line made me laugh so hard. I love you.

• Love 3

I may be one of the few who found Zoe very uninteresting and I'm bored with that anglhe. The texting is kind of funny, but as long as she stays off screen, I'm okay with her.

I don't care for her either. She's kinda blah. She's like Anne from Arrested Devolpement. "Her?". Also, the only thing I like about Betsey Ross was the only thing I liked about Katrina, and that's her costume. I know the costume is ridiculous and inppropriate and I want it in my costume closet.

That being said, I loved this episode! The Tooth Fairy was delightfully creepy. I may have nightmares about it tonight.

• Love 2

I must say Ichabod went way over the top in this episode. I felt Mison was trying to hard in the scenes with little girl (who is a not a good actress to pull the exchange off). And then he was way too formal in the hospital at Abbie's bedside (I blame the writers here), and the last part with the dentist was kind of... cringe-worthy and not that funny.

ITA. Crane was OTT in this episode. I enjoy the humorous aspects of Crane, but this bordered on making him clownish. Both the scene in the tree house and the pantomime of kissing Betsy made me cringe. I hope the writers dial it back some. The scene in the school is the level of funny Ichabod that I like.

Speaking of kissing Betsy, I'm starting to agree that maybe Mison is not that great at physical intimacy portrayals. I find his scenes with both Katrina and Betsy just awkward. I wrote off the lack of heat with Katrina as being purposely formal in deference to the time period, but Betsy is written as kinda wild and Crane was supposed to be throwing caution to the wind for her and still nothing. It makes me wonder if I would be disappointed in a Ichabbie relationship.

• Love 3
Who wrote this episode? Because I love them.

Heather V. Regnier. Make total sense. She wrote one of my absolute favourite episodes - The Midnight Ride.

I believe the whole ultimate woman, sexy Betsy promotion was a red herring to not only conceal Betsy is a woman out of time, but my shipper heart stands with HalcyonDays that all of SBR! remarks to Ichabod signal Endgame.

And can I tell you, even though I ship these two hard, I am actually really surprised. Truly. Last night, while mulling over the episode, I was like, "wait a minute..." I think I just decided deep down that nothing would come of it, it's (most likely) the last season, so whatever, let it go. It also feels very different to the ship-teasing the show was notorious for in the last two seasons. But there are so many parallels here that it's getting harder and harder to ignore. I hope I am right!

Very happy Cliff Campbell is at the helm. It took a couple of episodes for the show to get it's new footing, but that excitement I had in season 1 is back. Very happy.

• Love 1

I really liked this ep.  The Tooth Fairy was the best MOTW since the Sandman, in my opinion, and the Harry Potter shout-outs keep coming.  What, no one else thought of the Dementor's Kiss when the Tooth Fairy put the first child in a coma?

There are some local dentists who will give you a little twilight anaesthesia for a cleaning, and some who will give you a little nitrous oxide.  Crane looked and acted more like he got the former instead of the latter.  Either way, it was a hoot.

• Love 3

How rural is Sleepy Hollow that there is only ONE elementary school in a TEN MILE radius!!

IRL there are six schools for roughly 10k residents. In a ten mile radius, probably double that.

• Love 1

I think if they have to write Betsy as a time traveler, it would only explain one thing - why she sound so out of place.

But it doesn't explain why she can't act.

Sorry.  I'll stop now.

But re: the Mills sisters.  I forgot to mention how much I loved Abbie & Jenny's conversation about their father.  It felt very real and natural and very much in keeping with their characters.  This is a great case where writer continuity is a good thing.  Heather Regnier did my one of my favorite eps of S1 (Midnight Ride) and one of the highlights of S2 (The Abyss Gazes Back, aka the Wendigo episode).  She knows Abbie & Jenny's history and you felt the weight of that during their conversation in the car as well as their (non-parent supervised!) conversation with the little girl.

• Love 3

But it doesn't explain why she can't act.

Sorry.  I'll stop now.

But re: the Mills sisters.  I forgot to mention how much I loved Abbie & Jenny's conversation about their father.  It felt very real and natural and very much in keeping with their characters.  This is a great case where writer continuity is a good thing.  Heather Regnier did my one of my favorite eps of S1 (Midnight Ride) and one of the highlights of S2 (The Abyss Gazes Back, aka the Wendigo episode).  She knows Abbie & Jenny's history and you felt the weight of that during their conversation in the car as well as their (non-parent supervised!) conversation with the little girl.

I really enjoyed the fact that Jenny went back to Abbie to apologize for being inappropriate, because usually when TV characters are nasty to each other everyone pretends they don't notice.

• Love 4