Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Some things never change, and the Academy giving Best Production Design to a film about "old-time" Hollywood is one of them!

The functional equivalent of a dog licking its privates..

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, Artsda said:

She looks like she was in quarentine and chopped it off herself.

She's beautiful. Shes one on the few women who look amazing with super short hair. But this style is terrible. That said I love rhe color of her dress

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

She's beautiful. Shes one on the few women who look amazing with super short hair. But this style is terrible. That said I love rhe color of her dress

Really beautiful women like her always go through a bad hair phase. It's like they are so beautiful, they want to see if they're still beautiful with a hideous hair cut.

Can't wait to see In the Heights.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I had Nomadland winning Cinematography, but Mank was always a close second, so not much of a surprise. 

At this point it's very possible that Nomadland's only wins are Picture and Director. 

1 minute ago, thuganomics85 said:

Harrison Ford is presenting?  Which one is going to be?  Normal Harrison Ford or Drunk Harrison Ford?!

When was he drunk? I do remember when Frances McDormand won for "Three Billboards.." She was really drunk there!

Yeah, in the battle of the musicals, I am way more interested in In the Heights over West Side Story.  And where there be any new songs that will be eligible for Oscars?  Because Lin-Manuel Miranda still needs his Oscar, dammit!

• Love 9
57 minutes ago, Marley said:

The Oscars have never been great but holy fuck this is horrible.

+1. I gave up an hour ago.

The speeches have no discipline. An hour-long speech that's concise can feel like 5 minutes, but an undisciplined speech that's 5 minutes can feel like an hour. These folks know there's no orchestra to play them off this year, and boy, are they taking advantage of that. 

I also don't need the entire backstory of every nominee.

And, maybe most fatal of all, there's no humor. A humorless Oscars is a punishing Oscars.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Yeah, in the battle of the musicals, I am way more interested in In the Heights over West Side Story.  And where there be any new songs that will be eligible for Oscars?  Because Lin-Manuel Miranda still needs his Oscar, dammit!

He should already have one. The songs in Moana were way better than LaLa Land . 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Not excited about In the Heights, either, but since that Lin Manuel Miranda is involved, guess they’ll throw all the Oscars at that next year?

I think people are hoping for his EGOT status to happen with a project that is close to him.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Milburn Stone said:

And, maybe most fatal of all, there's no humor. A humorless Oscars is a punishing Oscars.

Agree - Harrison Ford was the first attempt at humour from a presenter that I've seen the entire night.

The best supporting actress winner was the most genuinely funny.

Daniel Kaluuya's was 30% good but 70% second hand embarrassment. And it's not even the my parents had sex comment. More so the closed eyes, head down while saying oh god oh god deadly serious.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I have no desire to see Mank and I'm a Golden Age Hollywood geek. Idk it just isn't appealing.

We didn’t think it was that great. We wanted to like it more.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, susannah said:

I agree. There are over a million police officers in this country. They aren't all bad. I think everyone who thinks so should have to walk in their shoes and see how difficult it is for them.

Exactly. But they are the first ones to call them. It’s fine my family members have thick skin, don’t listen to msm, Hollywood or influencers, and just do their jobs.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Exactly. But they are the first ones to call them. It’s fine my family members have thick skin, don’t listen to msm, Hollywood or influencers, and just do their jobs.

Please thank them for their service.

• Love 1

I don’t think I have watched any project by Tyler Perry.

BUT I give him respect for his charity work and the steps he took for bringing a COVID safe environment for his casts and crews. 

• Love 14
Just now, irisheyes said:

Viola Davis would look great in a paper sack. But, that dress is gorgeous on her. 

Lol, I just read this to my 18 yr old son and he said “well, obviously.”

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Were the nominees sent a questionnaire before the show to fill in all these random facts?

From the L.A. Times

"In line with the show’s story-centric programming, the producers have asked each nominee to consent to a brief interview telling the story of their path to the Oscars. “We want to highlight the connections between all of us who work in the movies and show that the process is uniquely intimate, collaborative and fun,” the letter reads."

I think they were on the right track with what they are trying to do, but it's not working. I agree that clips would have been nice.

As for the Zoom/no Zoom issue, live feeds with microphones are different than Zoom on a computer when there may be internet connection problems or someone forgetting to take themselves off mute.

• Love 2

Tyler Perry says he only has a few minutes to talk, but still makes sure to thank Viola Davis first.  Nice!

I think I've said this before, where Perry is a case of where I'm not sure if his projects are for me (although, I actually think he's been good in stuff outside of his work like Gone Girl), but I respect his work ethic, his ability to tap into a viable market, and especially his community and charity work.  Even if I'm not exactly a "fan" I guess, I really do respect him.

• Love 12