Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

Did they include Russi Taylor and the actress who played Violet in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

Hard to tell, since half the time they had two people on screen at the same time.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Do you think...now hear me out...do you think there's a chance that Parasite will win Best Picture??  Or do you think this will be another time where they split Director/Picture?  *fingers crossed*

I was shocked because the the split I've seen predicted was Mendes for director with Parasite winning Picture.  So who knows now?

4 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok it didn't take Bong Joon-Ho very long to get real "Hollywood" with the Oscar acceptance speeches. His shout-out to Martin Scorsese was very classy but also very Hollywood.

I am not aTarantino fan but I did like that his support of more obscure (to us) international films.

• Love 5
Just now, Browncoat said:

And I could do without Billie Eilish singing "Yesterday".  Actually, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they just had a nice instrumental piece instead of any performer.

I found that painful.  I feel like she might have a good voice hidden in there, but what she is doing just puzzles me as to how she is suddenly so big on the scene.  I think the music has held her aloft so far.

• Love 14

I have nothing against the song "Yesterday" -- I think it's beautiful.  However, I did not like Billie's version at all.  She did the song no favors, nor did the song do her any favors.  Not a good choice for her.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 16

I don't like that they have people singing during the In Memoriam segment either since it takes the attention away from the people who actually died. The instrumental one at the SAG Awards was a lot more moving.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 23
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

This felt more like just another performance instead of a memorial. Too much focus on Billie and not on the people that passed. 

The bright green hair doesn't help. I'm all for people dying their hair whatever they want, but Billie Eilish's TMJ singing-style, the bright green hair, "Yesterday", the clapping, etc made it a very lackluster tribute.

• Love 14

I had forgotten--or didn't realize--some of these folks had died. Catherine Burns, for example--she had one excellent film, Last Summer, and then not much. I still remember her climactic monologue about the senseless death of her mother.

• Love 2

“Winning an Oscar ages you.” Ha!!

I’ve been rewatching Doctor Who season 5, and I am still tripping over the fact that Olivia Coleman had a small role in one episode, and I didn’t recognize her until it was pointed out to me.

• Love 4

And Joaquin wins, of course.  First for him and the second for the Joker character itself!

With respect to Adam Driver's talents, all those clips just made me think "Yeah, that's how Kylo Ren would probably act if he was getting divorced."

I do want to see Pain & Glory though.  Antonino Banderas seems to be doing a good job there.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I didn't even recognize Yesterday in the beginning since Billie sang it in her usual monotone mumble. What should have been sad (I usually shed a tear or two), annoyed me instead.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 5
Just now, Growsonwalls said:

Oh dear. Joaquin's speech is the kind of rambling SJW thing that he can't really pull off. As I said before, I don't know whether he's just really weird or really good at acting weird.

This is not acting.  This is his credo. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

It would be weird if PARASITE got Best Picture with no acting nominations whatsoever. Has any other Best Picture movie ever done that?

Off the top of my head: Slumdog Millionaire and The Last Emperor