Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yay, Auli'i Cravalho!  Great performance, even after getting whacked by one of those sails.  Hopefully Dwayne Johnson isn't an overprotective demigod, and isn't going to bodyslam the poor guy for this accident!

Too bad I suspect La La Land is taking Best Song.  Unless there are enough voters who really want to make Lin-Manuel Miranda a EGOT winner.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Just to pipe in about OJ:Made in America - it is great because it is not just about OJ, it is a look at race through that prism. 

Even Mel grimaced at the OJ joke and that says something.

Is it as good as The people vs OJ Simpson?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Sugar said:

I *just* finished watching Moana before the Oscars, and the songs are outstanding - I haven't seen Lala Land, but I really hope Lin and co. win for their soundtrack.

We just watched it last night. A lot of the music actually reminded me of Hamilton.

• Love 1
Just now, Diana Berry said:

It's different, obviously. My vote is for the documentary. Edelman delves into who OJ was pre-murder, and how he was destroyed post-trial. And he gives a great primer of how racist the LAPD was.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Eureka said:

We just watched it last night. A lot of the music actually reminded me of Hamilton.

I still haven't listened to Hamilton at all. But this makes me want to, I loved Moana, and all it's music.

ETA: Oh, yeah, I loved Arrival and particularly how it sounded.

Edited by Unusual Suspect
  • Love 2
Just now, Eureka said:

The song she just sang was very reminiscent of Hamilton to me.  It made me think that Lin has a specific style.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Eureka said:

Chris Jackson Hamilton's George Washington was the singing voice of Moana's dad. He did not sing much, but I love his voice so much.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Mumbles said:

It's different, obviously. My vote is for the documentary. Edelman delves into who OJ was pre-murder, and how he was destroyed post-trial. And he gives a great primer of how racist the LAPD was.

The main thrust is the irony of OJ becoming a symbol of racial politics when he worked diligently his whole life to shun such things.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ezra Edelman is also super fine.

OJ: Made in America is well worth the eight hour investment.

Is Ezra black? Biracial? Doesn't matter, really. Yes, he is super fine. 

Haven't seen either OJ movie yet. But I must. 

• Love 1

The moment you want to see who will eat their candy NOW (new heroes) and those who are like "I'll pass this off to you" (new losers) so I can silently judge them. 

Totally noticed Casey Affleck passed it along!  To be fair, with that beard of his, it would have gotten really messy!

Glad that it looks like La La Land won't dominate, and they are actually spreading the wealth.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I didn't see the FX series but the documentary was outstanding because it was more than OJ; a big discussion on race, fame, police corruption, etc.

WOOT!  Go Quebec crew for Arrival!  Show them what my hometown is made of! 

• Love 2
Just now, thuganomics85 said:

Glad that it looks like La La Land won't dominate, and they are actually spreading the wealth.

I think it is matter of time before La La Land starts a sweep. I think I guessed they would win 11 of their 14 nominations. I do not think Ryan Gosling will win in his category.

Just now, wallflower75 said:

Yay for Arrival!  Loved that movie.  In my opinion, the biggest travesty of the awards is Amy Adams not getting nominated.

Agreed - My bf is a huge film snob and when Arrival finished we both looked at one another and said, "she's winning an Oscar". Was shocked she didn't get nominated.

• Love 4