Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

BIrdman does it!  Too bad it has to accept it's trophy from Sean "Douchnozzle" Penn.

It is kind of funny it won the big three, but neither Keaton or the rest of the cast could pull off a win.  It's like Mad Men!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 5

Boy, this feels subdued, for Best Picture.  Needs to mention Larry the Dog. 

ETA:  Okay, the final exhortation to Mexico was great. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Sean Penn, huh? I was thinking about him earlier. Kind of hard to believe the Fast Times at Ridgemont High dude commands the very prestigious part of awarding the big one. He's come a long way.

Yep, I always have to take a pause when SEAN PENN does his Mr. Respected Elder Statesman thing.

• Love 2

I want a LEGO Oscar so freaking much.

So is this show tape-delayed on the west coast like all the other shows, or do they get to watch live with the rest of us? Because if so I'm so jealous that the show ended at 9:08.

• Love 1

I want a LEGO Oscar so freaking much.

So is this show tape-delayed on the west coast like all the other shows, or do they get to watch live with the rest of us? Because if so I'm so jealous that the show ended at 9:08.

It's live.  We're still a few hours away from bedtime here.  :D

thank you NPH for pointing out that Meryl Streep chearing for equal pay for women is a bit hypocritical.   Meryl commands millions.   Does she make sure all the women working on her pictures make the same as the men?   I doubt it.

Just because she is incredibly well paid does not mean she can't be supportive of the rights of others to earn a decent wage. And I don't know if she makes sure everyone on the set is equally paid for equal work or not, though I suspect she doesn't have that kind of pull. Not with agents for the talent and not with unions for the crew.

In any case, aren't we trying to bridge the divide between the classes? If Meryl Streep is legitimately concerned about the issue that puts her ahead of a lot of her fellow 1%. And that's a good thing. 

As for Doogie's trick, it was just a bit of sleight of hand. I don't know exactly how, but I don't doubt it is a standard trick. Something along the lines of "nothing up my sleeve" type misdirection. Though ultimately, it really was not worth adding to an already grossly enlarged run time. 

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 15

Oh, yes, it is 9:13 PM here, and they are about to broadcast it AGAIN!  But not for me...

Alright everyone, it was a blast. I wish everyone Dwayne Johnson and Idris Elba naked dreams. Until next year for more of this nonsense, !Hasta luego!

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 3

Just because she is incredibly well paid does not mean she can't be supportive of the rights of others to earn a decent wage. And I don't know if she makes sure everyone on the set is equally paid for equal work or not, though I suspect she doesn't have that kind of pull. Not with agents for the talent and not with unions for the crew.

Also, it doesn't mean she makes as much as her male counterparts.

• Love 11

I'm glad I dvr'ed this, if only for the Everything Is Awesome number and the fun donut speeches.  I'd love to give Matthew McConaughey a big hug for the Roger Ebert quote, or whoever did the writing on it for him - I've been a bitter kitten about Life Itself not getting a nomination, and was making do with Siskel's nephew getting a nomination for Finding Vivian Maier.    

For anyone would like to get their documentary fix on, Citizenfour is showing on HBO tomorrow night, should be good, and Finding Vivian Maier has been on Showtime which I can highly recommend.  

Poor NPH, I kinda feel sorry for him.  I feel as if he was 'off' and that the writing didn't help him one bit.       

• Love 1