Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Boyhood is overrated but I think you only understand it if you have kids and I dont.

I don't have kids and I liked it--and I sure could relate to it a whole lot better than I could to Birdman. That, to me, felt like a self-indulgent exercise on THE IMPORTANCE OF ACTING. All caps, shouted from the rooftops. So I'm not surprised it's what the Academy awarded, but I'm still disappointed.

Having been a lifelong awards show fangirl, I was remarkably disappointed by last night. It just felt flat. And Neil Patrick Harris lost me early and often. First for making Octavia Spencer "the help," then mispronouncing names he had months to learn, then for an ill-conceived joke about balls and a fashion error AFTER A WOMAN WAS TALKING ABOUT HER SON'S SUICIDE (FFS, NPH), then sticking with that god awful and too long Oscar ballot joke. And countless things in between. It was just...not good. And he just seemed off, and a little bit mean-spirited--which I would never have described him as before.

Two final, overarching thoughts:

• Can we deport Sean Penn and keep Iñárritu? 
  • John Legend and Common *were* the MVPs. That's one thing NPH got right in the end.
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed NPH as a host.  His self-deprecating humor is right up my alley.  I would be ok if he was hired again.  I laughed out loud when he said Benedict Cumberbatch is what you get when John Travolta introduces Ben Affleck.  And "He just won an Oscar...Bum ba dum bum bum bum bum."

I don't really get invested in who wins so I could care less when it really comes down to it.  There was a pool at work that I was involved in for money, that's the only reason I mustered up a bit of concern.  

I thought Patricia Arquette's speech was spot on.  And Graham Moore's as well.  

• Love 4

Did I sleep through the lifetime achievement Oscar, or the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award? What about the Irving Thalberg award for directing? I figured they probably shipped those off to the "other" awards ceremony, but they used to be a big part of the show.

I think the Oscars and Emmys need to stay out of the obit business since they invariably leave someone out every year. Joan Rivers (even ABC is questioning that one), Elaine Stritch, Lizabeth Scott.... yet Maya Angelou is added? I don't get it. They need to drop that portion of the program, in my opinion.

• Love 1

I'm really kinda sad that Richard Linklater didn't win just because having the patience and dedication to film something over 12 years is kinda remarkable. (and shallowly, I really wanted the guy who directed "Dazed and Confused" to win an OSCAR. Alright, alright, alright! ).

Not to mention that he wrote and directed my favorite movie trilogy of all time, Before Sunset/Sunrise/Midnight.  (The Bourne series is a distant second--the 3 with Matt Damon).

I don't have kids and I liked it--and I sure could relate to it a whole lot better than I could to Birdman. That, to me, felt like a self-indulgent exercise on THE IMPORTANCE OF ACTING. All caps, shouted from the rooftops. So I'm not surprised it's what the Academy awarded, but I'm still disappointed.

That's how I felt a few years ago about "The English Patient." And though I loved Ralph Fiennes in the movie, I found it to be very melodramatic and self-indulgent overall. But the movie won 9 Oscars that year, including Best Picture. So who am I to say?

Edited by topanga

I didn't care for the watercolor memorial segment. It doesn't have the same emotional impact as photos and film clips.

Every year, it puzzles me that this show is so long, and yet there are so few awards presented. Where does the time go? Commercials? Even this year, with the pre-recorded reading of the nominees, it took forever. I felt like the awards show lacked ... entertainment.

I had heard predictions that the male actor voting would be split, and that Bradley Cooper had a good chance of winning. It was his third nomination in a row. I dislike that the AA are political. And predictable. If I had been nominated against Julianne, I think I would have stayed home.

• Love 1
Did I sleep through the lifetime achievement Oscar, or the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award?

They do that at a special Governors Ceremony a couple of months before the actual show, and I believe they announce the lifetime or Jean Hersholt awards in the fall.  

I have no idea why Maya, wonderful and gifted woman that she was, is included but not Lizabeth Scott.  Boggles the mind.

• Love 1

I don't have kids and I liked it [Boyhood] --and I sure could relate to it a whole lot better than I could to Birdman. That, to me, felt like a self-indulgent exercise on THE IMPORTANCE OF ACTING. All caps, shouted from the rooftops. So I'm not surprised it's what the Academy awarded, but I'm still disappointed.

Same sentiments here, to the word.  

I thought it interesting that every winner for The Grand Budapest Hotel went out of their way to thank Wes Anderson and state what a pleasure it was to work with him. Perhaps it was because they realized he wouldn't be getting the big awards (Director, BP); but I like to think that their remarks were genuine.  Maybe it's the stuff I read and hear, but I don't hear that much about pleasant or nice people in the movie business. 

Edited by harrie
  • Love 4
shallowly, I really wanted the guy who directed "Dazed and Confused" to win an OSCAR. Alright, alright, alright!

And it would have been presented by Fred O'Bannion! While David Wooderson waited back stage to present Best Actress. The stars were aligning! I was so disappointed! For purely shallow reasons. 

• Love 9

I absolutely love that article about the creepy John Travolta.  Seriously, the man is WASHED UP.  Hasn't had a movie in years.  Nobody deserves that many comebacks for his career.  Why is he still even relevant in Hollywood?  He needs to just fade away.

I love that "Clue the Movie" (one of my all time favourites) got a shot out from NPH in the opening montage.  Loved the Farmer's Insurance jingle regarding JK Simmons.

I have always liked Michael Keaton, but I also like Eddie Redmayne, so I was torn as to who I wanted to see win.  In the end, just as the name was being read, I decided I wanted Keaton to win.  He's probably never going to get another chance.  But sentiment also didn't reward well respected veterans like the late Lauren Bacall and Peter O'Toole in what was to be their last chances.

Very surprised at the inappropriateness of Sean Penn's "who gave this sunavabitch a green card".  I mean, like, wow.  I know it was supposed to be a joke but it came across as horribly racist and not funny.   I was a bit uncomfortable with the reverse racism throughout the night.  Yes, all of the acting nominees were white.  That was a travesty and was mentioned many times leading up to the awards.  But there's also something to be said for overcompensating.  I don't think I will be able to ever not feel like Alejandro Inirratu and Birdman won in part because he was the only minority among the directors and among the director and acting nominees.  Also, all of the black presenters.  I think I read that 25% of the presenters were black.  Like, really?  The Academy didn't nominate any acting nominees so they try and make up for it by inviting black actors to read the nominations?  Neil Patrick Harris calling on Octavia Spencer to watch the briefcase, enabling him to constantly mention her throughout the show.

Speaking of the briefcase, while I thought the predictions were funny, I was expecting more of a payoff.  Like that somehow during the show, the briefcase vanished and nobody noticed.  Or that somehow the briefcase was secretly switched with an all gold one through a trap door or something, and nobody noticed.  I was waiting for Octavia to start screaming from the audience at some point that there was a new briefcase.  But I guess that would have spoiled his "amazing" predictions.

• Love 2

I loved the Oscars.  NPH was brilliant: I loved Anna Kendrick coming back in her Into the Woods Cinderella dress.  Needless to say, I loved all the musical numbers, especially "Everything Is Awesome."  Now I've got that song stuck in my head all over again.

And my God, Lady Gaga's tribute to The Sound of Music...who would have thought she would be that good?  NBC should have gotten her to play Maria instead of Carrie Underwood.

Happy for Eddie Redmayne.

• Love 1

I love that "Clue the Movie" (one of my all time favourites) got a shot out from NPH in the opening montage.

It's one of NPH's favorite movies (and mine too) so I agree that it was cool it was there.

Random thoughts: So much "yay!" for Julianne Moore. She was amazing in that film and any time a soap star gets recognized, I am happy.

I will go to my grave not understanding the appeal of Patricia Arquette and how she was honored for her mediocre acting style, but I was surprised Boyhood only got the one award. I really wanted a split Director/Picture thing with one for Birdman and one for Boyhood (although I waffle between which way I want it to go).

The truth is, my favorite film was Grand Budapest Hotel but I knew it wouldn't win Best Picture. Still really happy it got so much love in the technical categories.

And Graham Moore is the cutest thing. I want to put him in my pocket and carry him around.

• Love 2

When J.Lo was up there presenting, I'm like, why is this woman invited to the Oscars seemingly every single year?! She hasn't done anything of significant note in the movie world since Out of Sight, and there are a lot more people who has had more significant 2014s than this woman had. Where was Emily Blunt, Kristen Stewart, etc.? 

I don't have a problem with Meryl yelling You Go Girl to Patricia. Sure, she can probably command millions but that doesn't mean she can't empathize with others who don't. It's just like gays enjoying living in CA because they can get married but still speak up on public platforms for those who live in other states that doesn't allow gay marriage. And her introduction to the In Memoriam was probably the most heartfelt that I can remember in any recent Oscars.

NPH was ok. He wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either. Oscars crowd are always a tough one. After GGs, SAGs, and all others, all of a sudden these same fun people can be snooty because it's the Oscars. There can never be a perfect host, I think. Last year, when Ellen was doing her bits, someone was wishing for McFarlane to come back. And this year, it's the same cycle. Next year, with whoever will host, someone will be wishing for NPH. My personal choice would be Tina Fey. I'd like to see how she will deal with this snooty crowd.

Other than that, the awards are mostly meh. Happy for Julianne Moore because it's about time and she's been a great working actor that has had a significant career, and to still be at that level at age 54 is an achievement in itself in this ageist industry. I don't like Eddie Redmaine so of course I'm biased about his "earnest" acceptance speech. Boy, he really wanted it, and he got it, so good for him, I guess. Someone above mentioned about it being just a silly statuette at the end of the day. Well, I don't begrudge anyone for being truly excited about getting this thing. Being an actor is their line of work, so when they do get recognized, obviously it's exciting. Acting may be art or whatever, but at the end of the day it's also just another job. And if desk employees can get excited about a promotion or a silly "Employee of the Month" certificate, then actors can be excited about this heavy gold thing too.

And I think Birdman will not age well as the Best Picture of 2014. It is a weak year after all. Much like how people are now cringing at American Beauty when everyone was fawning all over it the year it won.

And my God, Lady Gaga's tribute to The Sound of Music...who would have thought she would be that good?  NBC should have gotten her to play Maria instead of Carrie Underwood.

The knock on Underwood wasn't her singing - it was her acting. Gaga enjoyed a totally different stage last night - she wasn't asked to act. She was only asked to do what she does best. If Gaga had acted in that NBC special, people would have skewered her much like they did Underwood.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 3

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/oscars-2015-did-shonda-rhimes-776921?utm_source=twitter

So, apparently it was a thing last night on Twitter, and Shonda got in on it.  People resented Lady Gaga singing after the song from Glory was performed because it stole the thunder or the moment from the best song win? 

shonda rhimes        ✔ @shondarhimes

That was not okay. I mean, Idina is there. She is right there. RIGHT THERE. And oh dear God, Julie had to hear that. #Oscars2015

I don't understand what she means by "Idina is RIGHT THERE".  Is she saying that Idina should have been asked to sing the Sound of Music tribute?  She got to sing last year, and in my opinion, her "Let it Go" performance was quite mediocre.  And let's face it, the only reason why Idina was asked to present Best Song was so they could have her bit with John Travolta.  We're probably going to have to endure Travolta and Idina again next year.

And why the "Julie had to hear that".  What I heard was an amazing and outstanding performance.  I never knew that Gaga could sing like that.  It looked like Julie was exceedingly moved by it as well.  Gaga was amazing throughout, but especially on the opening "The Sound of Music" number and her extremely powerful "Climb Every Mountain".

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 13

Having been a lifelong awards show fangirl, I was remarkably disappointed by last night. It just felt flat. And Neil Patrick Harris lost me early and often. First for making Octavia Spencer "the help," then mispronouncing names he had months to learn, then for an ill-conceived joke about balls and a fashion error AFTER A WOMAN WAS TALKING ABOUT HER SON'S SUICIDE (FFS, NPH), then sticking with that god awful and too long Oscar ballot joke. And countless things in between. It was just...not good. And he just seemed off, and a little bit mean-spirited--which I would never have described him as before.

Hendersonrocks, you nailed the reason why I hated Birdman. Actors are nothing if not self indulgent. Mind you I also found the movie extremely boring.

Regarding the pompom lady, I actually missed her speech - left the room as she arrived on stage and returned to NPH. So I can see why it got the reaction it did. Mind you NPH did preface his comment by saying that he liked the dress, so I saw it as more of a play on words as it DID take a lot of balls to wear that dress since it was, well, composed partially of balls. But then I don't think of NPH as a mean spirited person either, so I guess I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he could not pass up a play on words, though likely should have in this case.

When I was listening to Patricia Arquette's speech, I totally put a comma between women giving birth and taxpayers, rather than women giving birth to taxpayers.Lol.  But in my defense I was just trying to stay awake - and I am on Pacific Standard Time! All in all a very boring show.

Edited to add: apparently Birdman is the lowest grossing movie in the history of Best Picture winners - if the radio show I am currently listening to is correct. Mind you I guess the win may garner some renewed attention and interest especially since it is now on PPV, but I would not be surprised if this particular record stands.

Edited by UsernameFatigue

If you read the comments, apparently it was a continuation of the racial controversy of this Oscars.  Apparently also, and I didn't notice this last night, but do on reflection, that is also why so many of the presenters were black, to try to balance the whole "white old men" press about not only the Oscars, but Hollywood films in general being mostly male and white based.  NPH used that a lot in his jokes last night as well.

ETA

The Pom Pom joke would have worked if the woman had not ended her speech talking about her son that committed suicide.  He went for a JOKE rather than being in the moment and letting one good joke go, he wasn't present, or adapting on his feet, and a host needs to be able to do that.

Also, Patricia's point wasn't that you have to have kids, it was the EVERYONE was a baby carried in a woman's womb, so knock off the discrimination. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4

So, the ratings were down significantly this year and I'm not surprised. The last couple of years had benefited from them nominating a lot of films people had actually seen, and American Sniper couldn't bring in all that audience on its own. To get people to tune in you need some popular movies, some big stars in the running for the acting awards (no one had seen any of the movies the acting winners came from last night) and a popular host. Last night had none of those things.

• Love 5

I totally get that Hollywood is out of touch, and the nominations reflected that, as do the jobs available in Hollywood.

What I don't get is the attack on Gaga for singing.  Maybe because she's getting all the press, "won the Oscars" and the Glory best song was somehow overshadowed?  So it's bad she was included?  Or the placement of her performance?  Or that she was great?

Ruby, I agree.  It's been pointed out to me though, that there are plenty of other awards shows that do the popular film thing, the Oscars is supposed to be about art, not the gross. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4

Yes, but I personally believe it should be a mix of both. Movies are still for audiences, and I think they should go out of their way to recognize films (not necessarily superhero/franchise movies) that get good reviews and do well with the public. For example, Interstellar and Gone Girl should have gotten in this year. It's in their own best interest anyway, if they want the Oscars to remain a cultural event. For decades, people would watch because they knew the stars and the movies.

Also, just because a movie's small doesn't mean it's that good. For example, Theory of Everything isn't necessarily the greatest movie, it just caters to their tastes more than genre movies. That doesn't make it art. I don't think any of these things are ever exclusively about art, because it's subjective anyway, which is why they should strive for a balance between art and popular appeal. Just a because a film is popular doesn't mean it's bad.

• Love 2

the Oscars is supposed to be about art, not the gross.

Exactly. All but two of the top 15 grossing movies of 2014 are either Sci/Fi or Animation, and one of those is American Sniper. The other is 22 Jump Street. There are many mindless movies (bad acting, bad writing, etc.) that are big box office draws. I don't see the Acadamy nominating undeserving pictures just to get people to tune into a long overdrawn awards ceremony. They need to cut it to 2 1/2 hrs tops and get rid of the many categories many do not want to sit through to get to the big 4.

I thought Boyhood, The Theory of Everything, Whiplash and The Imitation Game were all wonderful movies, and totally deserving of their nominations. I haven't seen any of the other Best Pictures nominations but plan to watch a few of the others on PPV since I didn't get to the theatre when they were here. Also want to see Still Alice since I loved the book.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 1

Did anybody here call?

I did not.   But only because I called my dad out of the blue the day before and he was convinced the world was ending since I called instead of texting or emailing.

So people are complaining about Lady Gaga's performance because of when it came in the show?   Pretty sure she had no control over that.   Blame the producers, not her.   

ETA:   And I don't give a flying fig what Shonda Rimes thinks.  

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 6

They do need to get rid of the short categories. Maybe create a whole separate non-televised ceremony for them, like the Governor's Ball or the sci-tech awards or something. I would also say combine sound mixing and editing into one category called Best Sound. Do that and you've already got the award number down to 20.

• Love 1

Elaine Stritch was a serious omission. not at Peggy Lee levels (seriously, the year she died, she was left out of the montage. All well and good except that she was actually nominated for an Oscar!). Joan Rivers seems like a glaring omission, however, she's more TV oriented and despite some roles in some films and her always famous fashion red carpet, I can see why the left her out. Same deal with Jan Hooks whom had some memorable movie roles but she was more TV oriented. Now if the Emmys left those two ladies out, then there'd be some serious problems. Anyways, I'm done rambling. The montage was lame this year. Also, where was Jon Lovitz?! (note: this is a joke tracing back form SNL40. Lovitz isn't actually dead. They just made a joke of it in the Dead People Montage on SNL by showing him last)

Here's the kicker.  Joan was ALSO left out of the Grammy Awards In Memoriam.  Now many might be saying "What the Fuck?  That's even less of a match for Joan than the Oscars..." except... Joan was not only up for a Grammy this year... she won it.

So people are complaining about Lady Gaga's performance because of when it came in the show?   Pretty sure she had no control over that.   Blame the producers, not her.   

ETA:   And I don't give a flying fig what Shonda Rimes thinks.  

Were people blaming Gaga?  If so, yeah... that's pretty wrongheaded.  I mean all she did was show up and freaking kill it with her performance. Anything else is indeed on the producers/directors of the show.

As for Shonda Rimes?  What a fuckwit.  Not just for some seriously impied low blows at Gaga, but also potential career suicide.  Maybe it won't be that bad, but I bet a lot of Gaga fans simply stop watching Shonda's shitty TV shows now.  I'm not even that big a Lady Gaga fan, but honestly, I've heard Idina sing plenty of live performances and I'm not even sure she could have hit all of the notes Gaga did in that performance last night.  Idina has a lower range--not that there's anything wrong with that in the least, since she does Tony winning performances with it.

What I don't get is the attack on Gaga for singing.  Maybe because she's getting all the press, "won the Oscars" and the Glory best song was somehow overshadowed?  So it's bad she was included?  Or the placement of her performance?  Or that she was great?

Bingo.  All Gaga did was her job.  And about as well as possible.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5

I am pleased Eddie Redmayne won, but I would have been happy about anyone in the Best Actor category taking it. I thought they all had great performances and the category had a deep field to choose from. It is why I did not get upset that David Oyelowo was not nominated, because it was a deep field of fantastic male performances this year. I am totally blanking on who I thought could have squeezed in with a nomination with David Oyelowo. 

All but two of the top 15 grossing movies of 2014 are either Sci/Fi or Animation, and one of those is American Sniper. The other is 22 Jump Street. There are many mindless movies (bad acting, bad writing, etc.) that are big box office draws. I don't see the Acadamy nominating undeserving pictures just to get people to tune into a long overdrawn awards ceremony.

This. I like the Academy Awards because they are movies I like to watch. I am not a big fan of blockbuster/superhero movies. That said, I would not mind seeing the Academy having some sort of comedy category.

I thought NPH was not good and thought very few of his jokes were actually funny. They need someone who can ad-lib and improv better. NPH is great at hosting the Tony's, but I thought his Emmy and Academy Award hosting was very lackluster. It is too bad, because besides that I like NPH.

I also, do not mind that the awards went on longer than usual. It does not bother me at all. I expect it to run over and be about four hours long. I do think they should have started a half hour earlier.

Do we know if the people who got Lego Oscars during the show got to keep them? That would be awesome.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 1

There are many mindless movies (bad acting, bad writing, etc.) that are big box office draws.

I agree. It's not like people are asking the Academy to nominate Transformers movies because they made huge money. But it's just trying to cater to a bit larger crowd than the indie crowd. It's like, hey people we want you to watch our show, but we will make most of the nominees the unknown ones to show how cool and how elite our tastes are. And you (the audience) will feel really stupid because you have no idea what these movies are. Snooty attitude at its best. I thought Gone Girl is a good example of this - a well-acted, well-directed and well-written movie that made money. But there's been rumblings that because the man didn't win out in the end, it wasn't too popular with the old boys club in the Academy.

• Love 2

I felt like almost every nominated show will be on TV within a year or two, because they aren't really making much money at the box office.  DVDs will be out soon (some already are) and soon after that comes TV broadcast, so why bother to go to a theater to see them?  Also, I really don't like movie theaters, so that's on me.

However, to me, there is something wrong with Oscars being all about movies I really don't care if I ever see.  I'll watch when they show up on TV or DVD, which, for the most part, will be soon.

I'd like to see Wild, but so many of the others seem like they could have been a TV special, for example Gone Girl, or even the whole Alzheimers/ALS/Code Breaking/MLK/Sniper things.  Or maybe TV is just getting so much better that movies are falling by the wayside?  Maybe it's just that my tastes have changed, and I don't want to be "taught" or I've lived long enough to already know a lot of this stuff, or would prefer a book.  I want movies that do thrill me, or make me laugh, or at least hide the whole "teaching" vibe.  I'm not saying this well, but I own a ton of DVDs and love movies in general, but this year most of the nominations were "meh" to me.  More than usual.

I basically watched because I always do, always have.  Did anyone else think the star power was lacking last night too?  We had Julie Andrews and Meryl, but it just felt kind of lackluster there as well, and very few of the gowns even wowed me.  NPH was not the only problem last night.  One thing they did right though was to (more than I ever remember before) STOP playing people off as much, and because of that, we got some good acceptance moments.

I'd rather have that than stupid "jokes" about predictions, or endless time devoted to singing and "routines."

• Love 1

The thing about the nominating box office hits argument though, and I said this in the general Awards discussion thread, is that the Academy does nominate those films. Just last year, Gravity, American Hustle, The Wolf of Wall Street and Captain Phillips were all decent sized box office hits and the Best Picture race was a very, very close one between 12 Years A Slave and Gravity, the latter which was huge at the box office.

Throughout the years we've seen movies like Titanic, one of the biggest grossing films ever, win big at the Oscars, The Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Chicago, etc. I feel like everytime there's a year where perhaps the big box office films don't have much of a presence at the Oscars, these comments and arguments are stated - that is, the Oscars are out of touch with what the average American likes, etc. And I just don't agree.

I do think the Oscars rewards big box office hits but some years, the big box office movies just didn't cut it. And I think it's silly to expect them to be nominated just because they were big box office hits. Again, unpopular opinion but I didn't think Gone Girl was that great and that's not on the director, actors but simply because the book wasn't that great. It was a decent way to spend two hours but frankly by the middle of the film, which matches up to the book as well, it all gets incredibly hokey and kind of stupid. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
Do we know if the people who got Lego Oscars during the show got to keep them? That would be awesome.

I don't know if they were supposed to keep them, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to pry Emma Stone's from her cold dead hands. There were pictures of her with Julianne Moore after the awards modeling their lego and gold statues. 

• Love 8

As someone who does not listen to modern music, I thought Gaga was way much better than I expected.  I had never really heard her sing, and when she first came on the scene, I thought she was a female impersonator (ala Rupaul).  Underarm tattoes aside and Idina aside, quite nice.

It really needs to be two broadcasts if they actually care about ratings.

One for all of the technical stuff, except perhaps Cinematography.  Lump those (and Best SONG too) into those other Oscars they give out, and broadcast that for the die hards.  I'd watch it too.  I'd enjoy it more, instead of being annoyed waiting for the "big" categories.  Show clips of why they are nominated.

One should just focus on the movies themselves, show more clips, let the winners speak, include the documentaries, but tell us what they are about, not just their names, show some film.  It should be about the movies themselves, and the performances.  Not "bits" and "routines" and so much time devoted to bad (or good) singers.  This isn't THE VOICE, it's the Oscars. 

• Love 3

It did seem that star power was lacking last night. Another thing I noticed (that I forgot in my original rant) was the presenting was super lackluster. Usually we get Will Ferrell doing something funny (he always brings it, like the song about boring acceptance speeches with John C Reilly and Jack Black). Were no comic actors invited to have banter that was actually witty? Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader were busy? Comedy was sorely missed last night.

• Love 7

I don't understand what she means by "Idina is RIGHT THERE".

Idina Menzel couldn't have sung those songs to save her life, she doesn't have a decent legit singing voice at all, she's a friggin' belter.  It really bothers me that Shonda Rhimes chose to complain about this at all, but it really pisses me off that she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.  I thought Gaga did a lovely job.  Sure, she's no Julie Andrews, but who the hell is?

• Love 11
Were no comic actors invited to have banter that was actually witty? Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader were busy? Comedy was sorely missed last night.

I know! The only banter I can remember from last night was Anna Kendrick/Kevin Hart and Zoe Saldana/Dwayne Johnson, everyone else looked like they were giving a eulogy! Or like they were about to get murdered, in the case of Idina Menzel and John Travolta. 

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 3

I have the unpopular opinion that I enjoy the technical categories as much as the bigger categories. I have enjoyed their speeches more than I enjoyed the ones who won in the big six categories. I do not mind winners getting played off, because some do ramble a bit. I think the people who won that wanted to talk more talked over the music anyway. I also, enjoy the Best Song performances too. It breaks up the show a bit, and I enjoy seeing the likes of Trent Reznor, Bret McKenzie, Glen Hansard (I LOVE me some Glen Hansard), and others win Academy Awards. 

• Love 5

Comedy was sorely missed last night.

Well, considering comedy has always been treated as that bastard child of movies that rarely gets acknowledged, I'm not surprised it's snubbed yet again.

I thought Gaga did a lovely job.  Sure, she's no Julie Andrews, but who the hell is?

That's what irritated me to no end too, even back during SOTM Live. Gaga and Underwood are no Julie Andrews. But frankly, the only one in the world who can do and be Julie Andrews is the woman herself. Gaga was asked to pay a tributewhich she did so beautifully. She wasn't asked to do a remake of the movie. And if Julie Andrews herself loved it, then what are people like Shonda Rimes complaining about?! 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 13

So I was reading that Joan Rivers wasn't actually a member of the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts & Sciences, thus wasn't included in the memorial.  I don't know about Elaine Stritch. 

Not all movie performers are members, so probably somebody went down a list and Joan wasn't on it.  Lots of well-known actors & actresses aren't members and don't vote on the nominations.  Regardless of her years in Hollywood, performing roles and Red Carpet time, they probably didn't include her because of that.  

I enjoy the technical stuff too. I love how excited some of the winners for those awards get and would hate to see them get their moment pushed off because the show is too long . What I did find unnecessary was Jennifer Hudson singing after the memorial Montage. That's 5 minutes right there also getting rid of the host going into the audience with people who for the most part have no desire to participate would save even more time. Also the Grammys are 3 1/2 hrs and give even less awards away during the broadcast. They should just stop pretending this is going to be 3 hrs when it never is.

• Love 7

E! has a feature about stars who accidentally looked like Muppets tonight:

http://www.eonline.c...s-at-the-oscars

I'm not seeing what they're seeing.

If they really wanted to go for it they'd have called out all the bad makeup and plastic surgery. It feels like something TMZ or Perez Hilton would have no trouble doing but they don't mind burning bridges. The actual article they wrote was a waste of time.

The point I got from Patricia Arquette's speech was that if you are a working mother, it's harder for you to get a job in Hollywood, or get equal pay. I really thought that was where she was trying to go with the "giving birth" message. Which may be why Meryl Streep was in her corner, how many kids does she have...4?

Anyway, that was my perspective.

Idina Menzel couldn't have sung those songs to save her life, she doesn't have a decent legit singing voice at all, she's a friggin' belter.  It really bothers me that Shonda Rhimes chose to complain about this at all, but it really pisses me off that she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about.  I thought Gaga did a lovely job.  Sure, she's no Julie Andrews, but who the hell is?

Idina has a fine voice, but it's in a lower register.  She couldn't have sung those songs to save her life, as you say, but mostly because they're just not in her range.

Shonda is just an ignorant idiot, and from the sound of it mean spirited to boot.  Also, stupid.  I mean does she think there's no overlap between viewers of her shitty shows and Lady Gaga fans?  Now it's not right on another level, but one bad thing that developed in Lady Gaga's fandom is fanaticism (you can almost understand it given the quality of her performance last night).  So what exactly does genius Shonda Rhimes THINK is gonna happen after delivering such a low blow?  I think we can pretty much see it coming (I bet it's already all around Twitter) that Gaga's fans are railing against Shonda and swearing off watching her shows. 

• Love 2

I don't think the technical awards should be separated either. Those people worked just as hard--probably more so--as the actors. I do enjoy seeing who wins, and they do deserve to be in the show with everyone else. I think some serious editing will need to be done to future shows. No way did JHud have to sing after the montage, haven't we had singers sing as the montage was going on, and much lovelier songs too? Wasn't Smile sung one year or am I thinking of the Emmys?

• Love 2

So I was reading that Joan Rivers wasn't actually a member of the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts & Sciences, thus wasn't included in the memorial.  I don't know about Elaine Stritch. 

That's a load of crap if they're claiming that's why she wasn't in the segment.  Was Maya Angelou a member?  

And Elaine Stritch?  She was in over 20 films.  No way she wasn't a member.

Idina has a fine voice, but it's in a lower register.  She couldn't have sung those songs to save her life, as you say, but mostly because they're just not in her range.

I wasn't dissing Idina at all, and that's exactly what I said, only in slightly more technical terms.  Idina mainly sings in her chest register, she doesn't use her head voice in the way that those Sound of Music songs should be sung, they're legit, not belted.  

• Love 1

Many of the technical awards are ALREADY separated, and they work hard too.

I just think two broadcasts are the answer, again, if they care about RATINGS. 

They keep doing all this stuff to "get ratings" and to "get people to go to the movies."  If that is the goal with broadcasting this at all, then it's a fail.

I learned next to nothing about the movies last night.  I didn't hear the scores, I saw very few clips, (and none from documentary or animation.)  Endless time was wasted on the bullshit category of "best song" though.

If they want this to be something else, and don't care about the ratings of the show?  Continue with the lame jokes, and making it all about the best song.  Including the categories just by "name" isn't honoring the tech, doc, or other awards either.  I would rather have had clips or explanation about what the documentaries were about than watch NPH interview seat fillers, or do his magic trick.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 1