Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Well I'll hold the unpopular opinion that as someone who one, didn't think Everything Everywhere was that great, I'm hardly excited to spend the next three hours watching some psuedo-sweep. Thank goodness no one was eligible for Best Actor. 

And I agree with many others that if they were going to give the award to one of the Everything Everywhere women, Stephanie Hsu's performance was far and away so much better than JLC's, it's almost laughable. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, truthaboutluv said:

Well I'll hold the unpopular opinion that as someone who one, didn't think Everything Everywhere was that great, I'm hardly excited to spend the next three hours watching some psuedo-sweep. Thank goodness no one was eligible for Best Actor. 

And I agree with many others that if they were going to give the award to one of the Everything Everywhere women, Stephanie Hsu's performance was far and away so much better than JLC's, it's almost laughable. 

Stephanie’s performance is certainly the most impactful of the two. But JLC has the sentiment behind her.

I was hoping for a Kerry Condon upset.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Sorry, Disney, but the FX trailer showing the return of Raylan Givens has me more excited than your live action Little Mermaid!

I am with you on this one.  Welcome back Raylan Givens!!

jfd_s6_raylan_gallery_hires2.thumb.jpg.e336601ad5776e95fc63fbaea8c983bd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Fire 3

All Quiet was fine but I was a little irked at how much they strayed from the source material and cut many characters for a rather unnecessary subplot.  Still a good movie just not the best of the year for me.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, yowsah1 said:

Best Cinematography has traditionally been the bellwether for Best Picture and ALL QUIET just won it.  An upset to EEAAO brewing?

1917 won but then Parasite won BP so I wouldn't say it's an ironclad theory. I remember that being an overdue Oscar for Roger Deakins.

Edited by kittykat
  • Like 2

I'd rather see 100 trailers for Little Mermaid than listen to either of the nominated songs so far.  And I love David Byrne.

I can only hope the others are ... better.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
Just now, ebk57 said:

I'd rather see 100 trailers for Little Mermaid than listen to either of the nominated songs so far.  And I love David Byrne.

I can only hope the others are ... better.

I know. What happened, David Byrne?

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

Um...what the hell is this?  I don't remember this song at all.  I'm going to presume it played at the end of the movie.

I barely remember this song during the bagel part. Where Evelyn was walking through the palace hall to finally meet Jobu. At least I think, that’s where this song was.

6 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

I recently saw the original All Quiet on the Western Front and was just blown away.  I'm a little hesitant to see this new version because of that.  Anyone who's seen both versions--what did you think?

I saw the original many years ago and found it very impactful.  The new version is different.  It is a well done movie, beautifully filmed and acted.  I think it comes down to if you'll find you tend to focus too much on comparison.  For me, I would wait a bit just so I didn't get stuck in that mind circle.  

2 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Oh my gosh… this song is insanely bad.

OMG.  What was that?  

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, dmeets said:

Rihanna probably has this in the bag, so it pretty much didn’t matter what else was nominated

I've heard that it's more likely the song from RRR's got it in the bag (I still need to see that one) but we'll see....

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Stephanie’s performance is certainly the most impactful of the two. But JLC has the sentiment behind her.

I was hoping for a Kerry Condon upset.

Me too.  She was great in  Banshees, won the BAFTA.  So humble on the champagne carpet.  

• Like 4