Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It's bittersweet for me. I'm happy for Jamie Lee Curtis, but I'm sad for Angela Bassett. Hopefully, it won't be ANOTHER 30 years before the Academy FINALLY gives Ms. Bassett her flowers.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 13
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

I didn’t see how she reacted — was she just stone-faced?

AB was pissed! She sat there like a stone, as did her husband Courtney B Vance. It was so rude and disrespectful. I have no doubt if AB had won, JLC would have been standing up cheering. 

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
1 minute ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I am not going to judge Angela Bassett for the few seconds we saw.  I'm sure she was disappointed and then pulled it together.  She's a professional who has long been held to a very high standard that she has met again and again. 

She didn't even clap, at all. Not when JLC won and not when JLC's speech was done. You could clearly see AB in the front row.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I feel for Angela but these awards seasons follow a path.  Those with early momentum and those who get a late surge with the late surgers snagging the Oscar.  The same thing happened with Kodi Smit McPhee who won all the early awards but Troy Kotsur got a late surge, won the SAG and that was it.  

• Like 5
Just now, kittykat said:

I feel for Angela but these awards seasons follow a path.  Those with early momentum and those who get a late surge with the late surgers snagging the Oscar.  The same thing happened with Kodi Smit McPhee who won all the early awards but Troy Kotsur got a late surge, won the SAG and that was it.  

Also, a lot of the early awards just.don’t.matter. It’s the late guild awards that actually include samples of the Academy voting pool, and they’ve made it clear that they LOVE EEAAO. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
Just now, mojoween said:

I hopped in late, was there an explanation why the red carpet wasn’t, well, red?

From what I’ve read, it sounds IMO like it was just change for the sake of change. It’d have made more sense to do something like this in 5 years for the 100th anniversary.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
Just now, ShadowHunter said:

The Little Mermaid was always my favorite Disney movie. I still have my Christmas Flounder ornament from McDonald's that they sold back in the day. 

Mine too but I’m not interested in a live action version.

Looks like this will be one of those scene for scene remakes as opposed to doing anything different. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised since Beauty and the Beast got criticized for most of its divergences from the animated movie.

Just now, Eureka said:

I haven’t watched any of the live remakes.  The cartoons are just fine.

Have to say Halle Bailey has a beautiful voice though, even if I want to call her Halle Berry every. single. time.  But Melissa McCarthy as Ursula?  The fuck?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Eureka said:

The only live action version of a Disney film I've enjoyed was Cinderella--and I'll be honest, that was mostly because of Cate Blanchett and Richard Madden.

• Like 3