Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Academy Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I’m just gonna say it: I’d rather have had Beauty and the Beast win over Silence of the Lambs.

If we're going to play this game, I'd rather have had L.A. Confidential win over Titanic.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

For me, it's The Social Network that should have won over The King's Speech for Best Picture and while we're at it David Fincher should have won Best Director over Tom Hooper.

My personal pet peeve for this year's Oscars is that Michael Giacchino didn't receive a nomination for his score of The Batman🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
56 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

If we're going to play this game, I'd rather have had L.A. Confidential win over Titanic.

I will eternally be pissed about that. I get it that the boat sinking was this huge, incredible spectacle, but I've never been able to understand something winning Best Picture when its screenplay isn't nominated at all.

21 hours ago, yowsah1 said:

Normally I'd say that traditional bellwether Best Cinematography will decide it, but ALL QUIET is the leading contender there - and EEAAO isn't even nominated.

For me, the bellwether, at least recently, has been Editing. If your film was nominated for Best Picture but not Best Editing, there's zero chance of it winning. I don't think there's been any film that has won BP that isn't even nominated for Editing. Not even when there were only five BP nominees.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

For me, it's The Social Network that should have won over The King's Speech for Best Picture and while we're at it David Fincher should have won Best Director over Tom Hooper.

I will agree about David Fincher winning for The Social Network. Hell he probably should have won for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button too. Point being, Fincher is definitely one of those, "long overdue for a Best Director win", directors. 

But I will forever stand on my contrarian hill that I was perfectly fine with The King's Speech winning Best Picture and that I find the hype and praise for The Social Network to be grossly overrated. And for the record, I liked The Social Network, just as I liked The King's Speech. And I would have been fine had it won. 

I've just never bought into the notion that it was this far more superior film than The King's Speech. Didn't then, don't now and never will. That and also anyone thinking Leonardo Dicaprio was robbed for Best Actor for Titanic - um yeah, no. And I love me some Leo. Have loved him since What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

• Like 3
17 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

I will eternally be pissed about that. I get it that the boat sinking was this huge, incredible spectacle, but I've never been able to understand something winning Best Picture when its screenplay isn't nominated at all.

Same.  I'll add a twist to this game:  I'll forever be pissed that Taron Egerton and Rocketman weren't even nominated for anything except Best Song.

Hey everyone! I enjoy reading your comments on awards day, but we're having company for the show, so you probably won't hear much from me.  Have fun tonight!

• Like 6

I'm pissed that CAPTAIN AMERICA:  THE WINTER SOLDIER was completely locked out of the Oscars, and that Robert Downey, Jr. never scored a single nomination for his portrayal of Tony Stark.

I await my end by tar and feather...  ;)

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, slowpoked said:

For me, the bellwether, at least recently, has been Editing. If your film was nominated for Best Picture but not Best Editing, there's zero chance of it winning. I don't think there's been any film that has won BP that isn't even nominated for Editing. Not even when there were only five BP nominees.

CODA did it just last year, as did Birdman a few years ago.

Edited by UniqBlue69
  • Like 2

Via Variety: Lady Gaga will be performing "Hold My Hand" live on the Oscars stage tonight.

Surprise! Lady Gaga Is Performing ‘Hold My Hand’ at the Oscars After All (EXCLUSIVE)

With Gaga now on the marquee, all of this year’s best original song nominees have been confirmed for performances at the Oscars, including Rihanna (“Lift Me Up”), Sofia Carson and Diane Warren (“Applause”), Stephanie Hsu, David Byrne and Son Lux (“This Is a Life”) and Rahul Sipligunj and Kaala Bhairava (“Naatu Naatu”).

I'm actually looking forward to the Best Original Song performances tonight, except for that weak Diane Warren song. 🙄

• Applause 1
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I love Brendan Fraser, but he really looks like he'd rather be almost anywhere else right now.

I was lucky enough to meet him a long time ago. He's very nice, but incredibly shy. He may be a little better now that he's older, but I'd bet he still struggles with that. 

• Like 10
9 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I love Brendan Fraser, but he really looks like he'd rather be almost anywhere else right now.

I think he's really just nervous. I mean, he's a frontrunner or close second, not just a token nominee. And he's not a veteran of these events. So he's probably feeling he's going to throw up anytime soon.

• Like 8

I feel like I go to the movies a fair amount, and I've seen almost all the nominees for Best Picture, so how is it that I don't know half these people?  If they hadn't told me that was the Raccacoonie guy, I would have had no idea who it was! 

Oh, Malala looks fabulous!

I despise Allison Williams' outfit.  And Mindy Kaling's, too, for that matter.

The jury is out on Eva Longoria.  I need a better look.

ETA: The orange on Sandra Oh is fine, but I'm not a fan of all the poufy sleeves and hip things going on.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Applause 1

My favorite dress so far is the gray and eggplant color one that Monica Barbaro is wearing. Someone, whose name I can't remember,  was wearing a white one with this gorgeous emerald and diamond necklace.  I love that one, too.

It looks like off white, and maybe pure white, are emerging as the popular colors this year.

• Like 2

I like Ariana DeBose's dress except for the shoulders/shoulder pads.

Oh!  That's the Little Mermaid girl!  I couldn't figure out who she was.  I do like the color of her dress, but I will never like the sheer trend.

I like that Halle Bailey is wearing address that looks a little like a mermaid. Smart movie someone. It is a little more sheer than I'd be comfortable in though. I saw a moment where she adjusted her dress and could see a bit too much.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

My favorite dress so far is the gray and eggplant color one that Monica Barbaro is wearing. Someone, whose name I can't remember,  was wearing a white one with this gorgeous emerald and diamond necklace.  I love that one, too.

It looks like off white, and maybe pure white, are emerging as the popular colors this year.

Sophia Carson, who'll be performing that Diane Warren song tonight. That dress is gorgeous, but she'll probably wear a different dress to perform the song. 

• Useful 1
13 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I don't like what Florence Plugh is wearing. It almost looks like a  long big bed sheet is covering the black part of her dress.

She must really like that style. She wore a black sheer version to the Venice film festival. I didn’t like it then and it is so much worse looking like a comforter. 

10 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I do love Elizabeth Olsen's old Hollywood style dress.

Me, too. She looks amazing. 

22 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I’m just gonna say it: I’d rather have had Beauty and the Beast win over Silence of the Lambs.

That broadcast was the first Oscar show I ever watched.  I was maybe 8 or 9 so of course I'm pulling for BatB to win big and being majorly disappointed when SotL won because I was a kid.  I'm pretty sure that was also the Jack Palance doing push ups year.

I appreciate the story Danai Gurira told about her hairstyle, but all I see is Marge Simpson.

Angela Bassett should always wear purple, but she can lose the giant shoulder bow.

Ana's dress would be better in a color.

Edited by Browncoat