Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Table 87, EZPeeZ, milk and brookies, DUDE Products

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

A device that helps simplify potty-training; a baked-to-order brownies & cookies mashup. Also, an update on the Roominate inspirational toy business, which Mark Cuban invested in during Season 6.

Crazy end to that last pitch.  But seriously, are people really going to pay $6.50 for wipes, just because they are for 'dudes'?  Even if they were the same price as regular baby wipes, I would not buy them based on that name.  What, was Bro Wipes taken?

The potty training guy was annoying.  And please, dadepenuer or whatever he called himself.  Stop trying to be so cute.  You're an adult for goodness sake.

I want to try the brookies.  But I bet they are at least 500 calories each.

• Love 4

I cannot recall the lastt time I skipped a pitch entirely. I was Out as soon as those idiots walked in w/ the Dude shirts. I was proven right when the product turned out to be baby wipes for men who are too insecure to use baby wipes.

• Love 6

Yeah, I hate those toxic masculinity products with a whitehot passion. Put DUDE wipes next to the MAN Kleenex. It did seem like Mark made that deal just to make good TV, though. I hope it falls apart in due diligence.

Lori seems like an odd fit for the New York pizza guy. Has she ever invested in a food product? I know they all have connections, but I feel like someone should be more qualified than just  "I love it!" Other sharks will go out if it's an area they don't know much about. Just seemed like an odd fit -- hope that guy didn't make a mistake there.

• Love 2

About the pizza, do people really pay $5/slice?  I just got a whole small pizza today for $5, so I'm not sure about $5 for one slice. But maybe that's the going price in NY...

I've seen it for that... note I haven't PAID that, but I've seen it. The slices at that price are usually so huge they kind of constitute a whole small/mini pizza in my mind. And I'm not even in NY or any major metropolitan area, so I'm sure the prices only go up from where I am. I still think it's an odd purchase for Lori, but just wanted to weight in on the price element.

• Love 1

I haven't been there for awhile, but I think Table 87 charges about $4ish a slice in-store. It's on the upper-end of the scale, but it's not unheard of -- Di Fara, one of the most popular slice joints, charges around $6 -- and the store is in Brooklyn Heights, where most people have money. But I also know plenty of Brooklynites who wouldn't pay that much and there are plenty of good places nearby that charge around $2.50. 

I'm surprised they even had that toilet seat guy on -- they usually only have more established businesses these days. 

• Love 1

Lori seems like an odd fit for the New York pizza guy. Has she ever invested in a food product? I know they all have connections, but I feel like someone should be more qualified than just  "I love it!" Other sharks will go out if it's an area they don't know much about. Just seemed like an odd fit -- hope that guy didn't make a mistake there.

She seems like an odd fit, but I do think her deal was the best one he was offered, so it made sense that's what he took.  I think it's a really great idea to sell frozen pizza by freezing a cooked real pizza, rather than the usual frozen crap. It must taste much better.

Robert looked really pissed when Marc swooped in and took his deal.

I'm glad to see those girls with the engineering toys are doing well.

• Love 1

I've read that the so-called flushable wipes shouldn't be flushed. So now we are gonna have more of them trying to make their way thru plumbing systems? No, just no. I hope that fails during research.

I think the name dude was a riff on doodey.

Toilet seat guy was cray cray. I'm surprised he got on the air. What a waste of everyone's time.

Edited by atir
  • Love 3

LOL Mark and his FU money. Must be nice.

And that's exactly what it was. He had zero interest in the actual product, but tons of interest in showing up the other guys. I'll be shocked if he really moves forward with this deal.

• Love 4

I can see a market for a decent-tasting, flash dried pizza - office workers lunch and bars, as the guy said, but also hikers etc.  Anyplace where you need something light , quick and easy. 

The dad guy was obnoxious, and obsequious.  I give him credit for not bringing along a tyke to demonstrate.

It sounded like of those who made offers, she was the only one who agreed with him on the direction of the business. So, if it were the wrong choice, it was wrong in a way that he was already wrong, if you know what I mean? Connections aside, she wanted to do what he wanted to do, and the others didn't. Maybe the others were right. We'll see. But I can't say I'm surprised he went the way he did. Other pitchers might have heard the thoughts of those who've done more food deals and thought, well I'm partnering with them for their expertise so sure I'll change the model if they say so. He didn't. I respect that. It could go either way. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

$5 for a SLICE of frozen pizza? Are people really this dumb and lazy? Take a piece of Trader Joe's garlic naan bread, grate a little fresh smoked mozzarella on top, and then top with pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, basil, whatever you have on hand... Pop it in the over for about 7 minutes. Tastes great, smells amazing, all for about 75 cents. Works great in the toaster oven in the break room at work. 

Brookies looked good and their pop-up shop is across the street from my work. Assuming they didn't take the sharks' advice to raise the price from roughly $2 to $9 (are you fucking kidding me?), I'll try to check them out sometime. 

• Love 1

Brookies looked good and their pop-up shop is across the street from my work. Assuming they didn't take the sharks' advice to raise the price from roughly $2 to $9 (are you fucking kidding me?), I'll try to check them out sometime. 

I checked their website last night.  They did take some of the Sharks' advice.  Only a few different combinations are available and they are charging $24 for 6, so $10 increase since they were on the show.  Then of course, there's shipping cost.

• Love 1

Crazy end to that last pitch.  But seriously, are people really going to pay $6.50 for wipes, just because they are for 'dudes'?  Even if they were the same price as regular baby wipes, I would not buy them based on that name.  What, was Bro Wipes taken?

It's the "Coke Zero" idea, but Coke Zero doesn't cost twice as much as Diet Coke. 

Give the purely (young) man appeal, shaving products would probably be a better placement than toilet paper, and in fact, here's a shaving line that's already "all over" that, so it's not a new idea. https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/our-products/fresh

Here's a good summary of the issues with "flushable" wipes. http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/flushable-wipes-2013-10/

For the pizza guy, the big problem seemed to me to be that he has no clear separation between his businesses, but he wants to keep the restaurants to himself. That seems like an accounting and legal minefield. I'm surprised it wasn't a dealbreaker.

• Love 1

Did the Brookies only not get a deal because all three people still had day jobs? What's up with that, the kid selling Ryan's Ruffies dog treats (or whatever they were called) was in school when he got his deal. His mom then worked on it full time after that, but to quit your job to begin with? I think the three ugly sweater guys were all working when they pitched too. 

Anyway, I was just surprised Brookies didn't get a deal, given how much $ the cupcake in a can/jar is making for Kevin.

I thought the toilet-seat guy had a good idea, it just wasn't ready for the show. Or maybe never will be given the problem of padding and connecting-hinge pinch.

I thought the pizza guy was good, but yeah to the price. It's more than I can swing, although if I had a high-paying management job and could afford one slice for that price, I'd go for it. Cooking a raw frozen pizza is a pain and energy-waster, plus most don't taste all that great, they are stomach-fillers only. Hope it ends up good for Lori and Pizza Guy.

The Dude Wipes? Please. Get them away from me. The TP aisle is full of those things, all from bigger companies than DW.

Edited by saber5055

$5 for a SLICE of frozen pizza? Are people really this dumb and lazy? Take a piece of Trader Joe's garlic naan bread, grate a little fresh smoked mozzarella on top, and then top with pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, basil, whatever you have on hand... 

Whatever's on hand? That would be nothing. Most of those are perishable, which means if you're buying for one, you're throwing them out before you can use them up. I might have only used 75c worth of ingredients, but I'd have had to buy over $5 that I'll never use.

So Lori goes into a long "why this product might possibly have a chance" in that tone of voice that always means there will be a dramatic pause followed by "but I'm out". Nothing new. So why did Barbara say she thought there was a deal coming and be so surprised that there wasn't? How long have you two been doing this together, Barbara?

• Love 4

Re the potty seat: It's been a long time since I was 6 or 7, but is children that age falling into the toilet a common problem? I was a little bit of a thing, and I don't recall it being an issue at that age, as it was made to seem by either the presenter, a shark, or both (I don't recall who said it.) I understand wanting to emphasize ongoing usefulness for a product; I was just surprised that first and second graders are allegedly going tush first into the toilet.

• Love 2

Apparently men's egos are so fragile that they're willing to pay double the price for identical wipes to the ones Charmin makes, just so that they can still feel manly. That's really pathetic.

• Love 13
Here's a good summary of the issues with "flushable" wipes.

Tampons aren't supposed to be flushed, either, yet most of us do. I've used Cottonelle adult wipes since they first came out more than a decade ago, but put them in the trash instead of flushing (primarily out of concern for stopping up my own plumbing). So the landfill gets the waste instead of the sewer system. Sigh.

Given a choice, I would never go back to regular toilet paper. Maybe what we need are reusable, washable wet wipes. Not as gross or without precedent as it sounds -- before disposables, all diapers used to be quickly rinsed off and put in the diaper pail > washer.

• Love 1

Given a choice, I would never go back to regular toilet paper. Maybe what we need are reusable, washable wet wipes. Not as gross or without precedent as it sounds -- before disposables, all diapers used to be quickly rinsed off and put in the diaper pail > washer.

Someone on Dragons' Den showed up with reusable/washable pee wipes (or something like that) and they were laughed out of the den.

• Love 1

Whatever's on hand? That would be nothing. Most of those are perishable, which means if you're buying for one, you're throwing them out before you can use them up. I might have only used 75c worth of ingredients, but I'd have had to buy over $5 that I'll never use.

I get it, most people aren't as resourceful as I am. There's a reason why $5/slice frozen pizza exists. TJ's garlic naan bread is frozen so it lasts forever. Pepperoni, a ball of mozzarella cheese, jars of olives and sun dried tomatoes all last at least a month in my fridge. The basil plant on my windowsill isn't going anywhere. I always have onions and bell peppers on hand for salads and sandwiches. I'm buying for one (very hungry) man, and I've never had to throw any of that stuff out. 

Didn't he also pitch his frozen pizza slice as something hikers/backpackers could use? I couldn't imagine what that slice would look like after sitting in my backpack all day. Gross. 

• Love 1

Tampons aren't supposed to be flushed, either, yet most of us do.

Never! Ever! Just NO! That's what trash cans are for, and those little receptacles in public restroom stalls.

Given a choice, I would never go back to regular toilet paper.

Most (maybe all these days?) are bio-degradable and safe for septic systems, which is my concern. Years ago TP used to come in "designer" colors. Now it's all white, for environmental reasons.

One can always install a bidet if "wiping" is a problem. I don't have a clue what got into Mark to make a Dude Deal at the last minute. Barbara's finger poking through the tiny Dude Wipe was enough to make me say NO WAY.

Not as gross or without precedent as it sounds -- before disposables, all diapers used to be quickly rinsed off and put in the diaper pail > washer.

This is TMI, but back before those tampons (that we're not suppose to flush!) and sanitary napkins were invented, women had to make their own "pads," which were washed and hung on the line to dry and be used again. Invention is the mother of necessity, so thank you Kotex.

I think people who build their own pizza from scratch aren't the target audience for flash-frozen-$5 slices. One does pay extra for convenience in every venue.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Pepperoni, a ball of mozzarella cheese, jars of olives and sun dried tomatoes all last at least a month in my fridge. 

That's the problem - it lasts a month. It's not going to get used up in a month, though, unless I ate pizza every day.

• Love 1

So Lori goes into a long "why this product might possibly have a chance" in that tone of voice that always means there will be a dramatic pause followed by "but I'm out". Nothing new. So why did Barbara say she thought there was a deal coming and be so surprised that there wasn't? How long have you two been doing this together, Barbara?

Barbara's comments there felt really weird and awkward. Some really bad acting, or a producer feeding her lines, or strange editing.

Apparently men's egos are so fragile that they're willing to pay double the price for identical wipes to the ones Charmin makes, just so that they can still feel manly. That's really pathetic.

This is pretty harsh, and a gross misunderstanding. First - I'd never buy the Dude Wipes and I've used generic Wal-Mart wipes for a couple years now. But before my GF introduced me to this concept... it had never occurred to me to use wipes. No data to back this up, but I'm sure that's the same with a very large majority of guys. So the problem isn't necessarily convincing guys that wipes can be 'manly', but opening their eyes to the fact that it's a thing and it's a good thing.

You do that by packaging the wipes specifically for 'dudes'. 

In other words, it's a completely untapped market.

• Love 1

Tomatoflyer, how much were the Dude Wipes at Kroger? Too funny that you made fun of them! They do make a good joke target.

But before my GF introduced me to this concept... it had never occurred to me to use wipes.

This goes back to whichever shark said no men shop on the TP aisle, it's all women. But maybe women could get their guys to use wipes easier if they are packaged for men instead of for "babies," or in the pink packages that I buy. Will the show do a followup on Mark's investment? I hope so!

Edited by saber5055

Fuck outta here with that dude wipes stuff. My dad has been using wipes most of his adult life which led me to try them and I never turned back. I cannot even fathom to use toilet paper. I never feel clean or comfortable after using toilet paper. No thank you.

Every place I've have ever lived in has had flushable wipes going down the toilet because I've me or my dad. Never caused one plumbing problem.

I used to run into a problem where people just kept assuming I was just using straight up baby wipes but that was when I was a teenager. Adults don't give a damn. So, no man needs dude wipes.

No way I'm paying 6.49 when I can get a 55 pack of flushable wipes for less than two dollars.

And really, nobody from the sharks to the actual presenters pointed out that this shit already exists? It's not a untapped market. It's one already dominated by major companies. On all fronts, there are no need for "dude wipes". I really feel sorry for a guy that is straight up ashamed of what he wipes his butt with. It's not that serious.

• Love 3

Yeah, I don't feel sorry for Kevin that no one will take his money. I wouldn't take it if I WANTED it IF he mentioned Wicked Good Cupcakes again for the 95th time this year.

Also, if I were Robert, I would quit this show. He's NEVER had much luck getting anyone to take his money and almost NONE of the other sharks want to team up with him ever. I mean, Kevin threw him the team but that was just in hopes someone would take his (Kevin's) money if someone else were attached.

Additionally, I'm tired of Barbara and Lori always trying to outdo each other. But I've never liked Lori. She's my least favourite shark, from the time she first joined the show, and that's including that dud Kevin guy that was on the first season AND current Canadian Kevin who's from Boston now. I can see she imparts value IF the product is perfect for QVC but other than that, I would never team up with her. I don't trust her.

Hell, I just wish they'd keep Cuban, Daymond, and get 3 new sharks. Lori and Barbara can't be the ONLY "wealthy" women investors in all of the US. And Robert and Kevin have worn out their welcome.

Edited because I forgot to add the most important thing I wanted to say, ffs: I've paid $5.00 a slice for pizza in New York City but it's the size of a Volkswagen, and takes two days to eat. I don't know how I'd feel about paying that for it after it's frozen. I guess I'd have to taste that product to be sure. But it looked to just be a standard size slice so I don't know...

Edited by PepperMonkey

This is pretty harsh, and a gross misunderstanding. First - I'd never buy the Dude Wipes and I've used generic Wal-Mart wipes for a couple years now. But before my GF introduced me to this concept... it had never occurred to me to use wipes. No data to back this up, but I'm sure that's the same with a very large majority of guys. So the problem isn't necessarily convincing guys that wipes can be 'manly', but opening their eyes to the fact that it's a thing and it's a good thing.

You do that by packaging the wipes specifically for 'dudes'.

In other words, it's a completely untapped market.

It might be "harsh", but it's exactly how the dudes marketed their product. "Dudes don't want to use something for babies, they need something for dudes." They didn't talk about educating men about the wonders of wipes, only that the current products didn't feel macho enough. Their explanation is what's insulting, not my description of it. After all, if guys aren't shopping in the toilet paper aisle to begin with (like Barbara said) they aren't going to even see the Dude Wipes. So, it isn't a product for the guys who don't know about wipes. You have to be looking for wipes, and then say, "Wow, these are way more manly, thus I will buy them and pay more."

Edited by marny
  • Love 2

Actually plenty of men do buy toilet paper. They have. 

Also note the sharks complaining about how their fingers went through the wipes. That means they break apart in the sewer system hence they are meant to be flushable. If you cannot break apart the wipe then you don't flush it. That is the issue with baby wipes that they are woven and hence do not break apart when flushed. .

You know what happens when you flush baby wipes or wipes that claim to be flushable, yet you cannot easily break them apart with your fingers to test? You get a fatberg. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/08/06/london_fatberg_17_ton_ball_of_fat_found_in_london_s_sewer.html 

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/may/26/disposable-wipes-sewer-toilet-cities-flushable

Re the potty seat: It's been a long time since I was 6 or 7, but is children that age falling into the toilet a common problem? I was a little bit of a thing, and I don't recall it being an issue at that age, as it was made to seem by either the presenter, a shark, or both (I don't recall who said it.) I understand wanting to emphasize ongoing usefulness for a product; I was just surprised that first and second graders are allegedly going tush first into the toilet.

I potty trained my son on a training potty and then on the adult potty without a special seat. He did gone and has never fallen in.

My nephew is being potty trained using this: http://www.amazon.com/Bemis-1483SLOW-Whisper-Close-Toilet/dp/B004CT50UA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445130151&sr=8-2&keywords=Toilet+seat+with+potty+training

. I don't know how I'd feel about paying that for it after it's frozen. I guess I'd have to taste that product to be sure. But it looked to just be a standard size slice so I don't know...

Flash frozen. Meaning most of the taste is preserved. There is a huge difference between regular freezing and flash freezing. Flash freezing costs more to do yet less celluar damage to the product and the product tastes better. Freezing, canning etc all change the taste of food. Flash freezing costs more because usually liquid nitrogen is used or other methods to get the temp down that low to do the freezing..   

• Love 2

Those wipes sound worse than what I remember reading. I suppose if one could toss them in the trash (ugh, how would that work?) the plumbing problem wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think you guys should be flushing them. Bad!

The previously tv recap reminded me: Did the Pizza Guy really have to play up the very tired Italian-American stereotype? And were the sharks really that charmed and entertained by it? I thought that he was likable enough, the "fuhgeddaboutit" and everything else was completely unnecessary.

No way I'm paying 6.49 when I can get a 55 pack of flushable wipes for less than two dollars.

And really, nobody from the sharks to the actual presenters pointed out that this shit already exists?

Pun intended?  :)

• Love 1

The previously tv recap reminded me: Did the Pizza Guy really have to play up the very tired Italian-American stereotype? And were the sharks really that charmed and entertained by it? I thought that he was likable enough, the "fuhgeddaboutit" and everything else was completely unnecessary.

Stereotype? Its real life in Brooklyn.  

• Love 3

There is a toilet seat on the market that incorporates a training seat. It clicks into the lid and you pull it down if you have a child using the toilet. No hurtful hinges because it is incorporated into the regular seat hardware. My son and his wife purchased on at a local Home Depot....useful since the have a 4 year old and almost two year old twins. The wipes are a necessity in our house following my hubby after surgery for colon cancer however the store brand ones work fine at $1.99. He is manly enough to just use unscented baby wipes for any other needs.

• Love 2

"Sounds like you're ramping up to a big offer."

No it doesn't, Barbara. Don't you know the rule? When Lori compliments the entrepreneur, she's out. When Lori compliments herself, she's in.

Nothing excited me out of the products, I did like a lot of the ways the deals came in.  As much as Lori bugs me, I was glad she got the deal over Barbara because she's was straightforward with her offer.  Barbara tried to be sly and it backfired.  Ditto for Mark swooping in on a deal that Robert or Kevin should have closed by then.

"Always Be Closing" applies to the sharks as much as the seekers.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1

Tomatoflyer, how much were the Dude Wipes at Kroger? Too funny that you made fun of them! They do make a good joke target

I think around $6, ridiculous!

I feel weird saying this...but I'm a woman and I've never cleaned my rear with wipes.

Maybe people would choose Mr. O'Leary if he could just do a normal deal without royalties.

• Love 1

Those wipes sound worse than what I remember reading. I suppose if one could toss them in the trash (ugh, how would that work?) the plumbing problem wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think you guys should be flushing them. Bad!

As someone already pointed out here, if they are that easy to poke your finger through, they won't have any problems breaking up in the sewers. I've been using them my whole life. Never caused any plumbing problems.

As someone already pointed out here, if they are that easy to poke your finger through, they won't have any problems breaking up in the sewers. I've been using them my whole life. Never caused any plumbing problems.

Not all baby wipes are easy to poke through finger through which is a complaint the sharks had but either the guys didn't explain why that was or it wasn't shown. Baby wipes you cannot break apart can clog pipes or causes issues in the city sewers which is what happening in various big and small cities. 

As for Dude Wipes yes a lot of men don't know about wipes so Dude Wipes not only other men but adult women will make it a man's product. A lot of people don't understand that women yes women often refuse to use certain items because the implication is that the product is not girly or made for both genders. Hence pink items or special editions for women. Ever after being educated a lot of women refuse to buy say non pink or other considered pretty color firearms. 

I guess everybody wants to be the next Squatty Potty.

Did they just edit out Mark getting a gluten-free Brookie, or is that just something he selectively refuses to eat?  I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually have Celiac, so he's just being like one of those restaurant patrons who demand that their food not be in the same room as gluten, and then demand more free bread.

I'm definitely going to find time to visit Table 87's brick and mortar location, but looking at the prices on their website, I wouldn't pay $60 for a two-pack of pizza.

I get it, most people aren't as resourceful as I am. There's a reason why $5/slice frozen pizza exists. TJ's garlic naan bread is frozen so it lasts forever. Pepperoni, a ball of mozzarella cheese, jars of olives and sun dried tomatoes all last at least a month in my fridge. The basil plant on my windowsill isn't going anywhere. I always have onions and bell peppers on hand for salads and sandwiches. I'm buying for one (very hungry) man, and I've never had to throw any of that stuff out. 

It may not be a matter of resourcefulness as it is a matter of time.  I have no urge or even any real ability to do anything to actually cook at work.  If that works for you, that's terrific, but it's not something everybody is able to do.

Didn't he also pitch his frozen pizza slice as something hikers/backpackers could use? I couldn't imagine what that slice would look like after sitting in my backpack all day. Gross.

If it's frozen and vacuum sealed, it wouldn't really make much of a difference.  Also, he didn't mention that at all as I can remember.  He did say that you could take it out of the office freezer, leave it to sit on your desk for a while, and then it would be warm enough to eat, but I'm pretty sure he meant you'd be leaving it in the packaging until you're ready.

• Love 1

Not only is Kevin not getting any deals, but he is relentlessly promoting his products, slipping in a mention of his cupcakes or wedding crap or whatever, or saying something is in "his space."

But worst is his new promotion of his financial services business.  What's up with that?  He hopes to attract investors because of familiarity with him on the show?  He's becoming like a Suze Orman.

Something does not sit right with me on his mutual funds and whatever else he is peddling.  Did the world really need a Kevin O'Leary financial services company when we have plenty for the regular guy such as Fidelity, Schwab and Vanguard?

My DVR cut out right as Mark jumped up for the Dude Wipes...what was his offer? Stupid to think people will pay double the cost of the same thing in a baby wipe. I keep the Cottonelle wipes in my guest bathroom...no problem with finger poking holes in them, either.

How would you know this to be true? Are city/county plumbing breakdowns printed in your local newspaper? Or are there notices printed on your water bills? I'm being serious as I can't fathom how a person could possibly be aware of plumbing problems. This product is no bueno. Course i say the same thing about bottled water.

• Love 1