Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Paris Is Burning

Loved the Watch Me Choose You throwback b/c the original was my favorite Scandal moment ever.

So they're going to keep them together and explore the fall out? I can live with that.

Good on Abby for being good at her job. 

Could not care LESS about B613.  Why?  WHY?  Though I did laugh when Huck wanted to erase the internet.

• Love 6

Well of course, B613 needs to do something. Scott Foley needs a paycheck and a point to his character.

So, what was the new new deal before Mellie bailed? Staying together? I like Mellie and Cyrus teaming up, though, and that preview for next week where it looks as if Mellie is using her new position to target Fitz is fascinating.

You know, it's sort of sad to think that a network could have black-and-white footage of the President's mistress with the President and have her confirming the affair, and yet a canned interview and "nuts or sluts" talking points would be more believable to the public. That's how little respect society affords women.

But for the first time since maybe season 2, the show feels new, to me. I like it. To borrow an analogy from another Shonda show, I hope they've gotten off the carousel, smashed it to smithereens and built themselves a rollercoaster.

• Love 2

OMFG, B-whatever is back. All so Shonda can create work for her friend, Scott Foley. It totally ruined the episode for me. 

I didn't even understand exactly how Abby was making the situation better by painting Olivia as a gold digging slut, especially since she will marry FItz one day eventually. Just dumb.

I liked Cyrus playing Mellie who has always been a fool. She has had so many opportunities to get out of that marriage and jump start her political career, but she never makes the right decision.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Shit, we knew he was going to be back, chewing up scenery like prison-issue roast beef.

'Paris is Burning' is a great drag queen movie.  I think it's on Netflix.

Cyrus had a great scene there.  And again, Fitz is the stupidest, most arrogant and least concious President on earth if he didn't think Cyrus wouldn't turn on him with that dis'

• Love 6

Cyrus had a great scene there.  And again, Fitz is the stupidest, most arrogant and least concious President on earth if he didn't think Cyrus wouldn't turn on him with that dis'

Seriously.  Given the situation, Fitz could have played Cyrus as he played Mellie.  However, Cyrus/Mellie will be intriguing.  I hope Mellie gets the house, the money, and Impeach Fitz.

• Love 7

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Shit, we knew he was going to be back, chewing up scenery like prison-issue roast beef.

Here comes the long winded monologue.

Edited by Free
  • Love 3

All I am saying is Cyrus made the wrong Grant President.  Mellie has shown herself to be a far....far...FFFFAAAARRRR better choice.   

I don't think Fitz is that great but I got whiplash at how easy it was for Fitz and Cyrus to manipulate Mellie to do their bidding.  Kind of a problem for a President.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

As soon as I spotted Joe Morton's name in the opening credits, I was disappointed. Can't Jake, Huck, and Quinn just stay drunk for the rest of the season?

For a second there, I was afraid that we went through all that door-slamming and pacing only to go back to the status quo. I'm looking forward to Fitz vs Mellie and Olivia/Abby/Liz vs Cyrus. 

So... what's David up to these days? I'd rather see him stumble about his office and be indignant about stuff than have to sit through more B613 stuff.

• Love 5

But for the first time since maybe season 2, the show feels new, to me. I like it. To borrow an analogy from another Shonda show, I hope they've gotten off the carousel, smashed it to smithereens and built themselves a rollercoaster.

I didn't pick that up.  But it was mostly because it just dawned on me that this show is the movie "The American President" if the President were married rather than a widower.  Someone get me an egg timer and a ham.  Olivia's the President's girlfriend and will never be an effective political operative again.

I also kept wondering why Fitz wasn't threatening Mellie with dead jurors or her own affair.  I know they are all horrible but I'm always surprised that they are so incompetent in their horribleness.  This show is in this weird place where I don't get why they aren't protecting the Office of the President but having decided not to bother with that I can't figure out why exactly they draw the line where they do.  Why pick ineffectual Presidency over resignation?  If they are going to blow everything up, why go not go with the nuclear option?

As long as I'm on a 'I don't get it' rant.

Unless Liv and Fitz are going to stay apart for the duration of the Presidency, what does making Liv the guilty party do?  It doesn't seem like they are going to do that, so how is putting it out there that the Prez is being manipulated and led around by his pants any better than Liv and Fitz doing the interview and claiming that they fell in love bla bla bla.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1

Poor Mellie. There is not one person in the world who is loyal to her, which I think is very strange. Why wouldnt she have assembled a team of advisors in all the time she's been in the public eye? She needs to lick her wounds, regroup and behave like the leader she wants to be. (She just got sworn in as VA's newest Senator, and she's going to be on the national ticket in 18 months. Really?? Only in Shondaland.)

I'm glad that Mellie treated Olivia mostly indifferently. I long for the day when she treats Fitz that way. More than anything she needs to get over him.

Fitz, on the other hand, is completely in Liv's thrall. If I didn't loathe him so much I'd laugh. I hope he is the laughingstock of the world right now; I bet the other world leaders are rolling their eyes at Fitz and counting him out. He and his White House have come to a halt because of a mistress. This is like that S Carolina governor who went off the grid, literally, for "love." Historic second term - ha! Only in Shondaland!

• Love 6

Unless Liv and Fitz are going to stay apart for the duration of the Presidency, what does making Liv the guilty party do?  It doesn't seem like they are going to do that, so how is putting it out there that the Prez is being manipulated and led around by his pants any better than Liv and Fitz doing the interview and claiming that they fell in love bla bla bla.

Exactly. Abby's strategy makes absolutely no sense. Of course, if they did the interview and just said that they fell in love, it would mean that it would be much easier for them to actually get together and the show clearly does not want that to happen. 

• Love 1

Mellie has 0 experience and she thinks she should be President? Senate as her first elected office is ridiculous but not unprecedented. But to think 18 months later she can be President is ridiculous. But this show doesn't exactly have a firm grip on reality.

I thought it was going to end Mellie and Fitz together. I'm glad I was surprised.

Mellie, Cyrus, and Liv would all be in jail if Fitz hadn't covered up their crime by murdering Verna, so I have no sympathy for any of them. I just care about the show being entertaining as their really is no moral compass in the Scandal world.

I don't understand Abby's strategy and I don't think its a noble gesture to allow someone to label you as a slut to save your boyfriend.  I guess Olivia plans to never have her own business and to never be taken seriously as a business person.  She will just stroll into the sunset with Fitz without any ambition to ever do anything other than Fitz again.

Mellie has 0 experience and she thinks she should be President? Senate as her first elected office is ridiculous but not unprecedented. But to think 18 months later she can be President is ridiculous. But this show doesn't exactly have a firm grip on reality.

Sarah Palin never had a problem thinking that she could be the candidate (she undermined/upstaged Senator McCain at every turn) so I think Mellie's thinking is realistic given what we all actually witnessed in real life.

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 1

Ugh Rowan and Jake and B613. They just had to bring it all back? Jake needs to go. Rowan needs to stay gone forever.  

Abby's plan makes no sense at all. Throwing Olivia under the bus helps who and how especially when Fitz and Olivia are publicly together? 

Edited by Artsda

I don't think Fitz is that great but I got whiplash at how easy it was for Fitz and Cyrus to manipulate Mellie to do their bidding.  Kind of a problem for a President.

That's sort of how Fitz got to be President to begin with.

• Love 1

I'm mostly upset that the Louvre is on fire, Shonda, wtf?

So am I supposed to think that Grant is playing the audience, too (trying to get so many not to hate on him)? Whatever. Sounds like he's going to have some governing to do (or at least look like he's doing), so the crisis du jour can not be Olivia's O, ho! story.

Rowan looked as concerned as I did about the fire in Paris, but probably not for the same reason. And because it cannot be said enough, helloooo, Cyrus.

• Love 2

I agree that there is no moral compass on this show despite all the jibber jabber about White Hats. But, I do feel a twinge of sympathy for Mellie because, from where I'm sitting, she hasn't had a win or someone to make her feel like a winner in...ever. Even Cyrus had James; go figure. So I'd like to see Mellie triumph in love or ambition one of these days. But then again, I'm the kid who sympathized with Tom the self-destructive cat rather than Jerry the clever mouse while watching my morning cartoons ;)

The Grant family have a house that has been theirs for generations?! Didn't Fitz tell us that Grandpa Grant was a dock worker and that Big Jerry was the source of the family wealth? And anyway, won't the house stay in the Grant family as the only heirs that Mellie will have are her children by Fitz?

• Love 3

Whelp, that's it for me. Enjoyed the episode and then B613 reared its ugly head. Since Shonda seems unable to incorporate B613 without it swallowing up the entire show, I'm done. Adios Scandal.

Hold the elevator for me, please.

I'm done, too.

• Love 2

Two things that did not impress me:

One, the speech in the closet.  BY did a great job with it but it was just weak writing.  Mellie has always had more ambition than FItz...if anything, she pushed him to be President.  So don't boohoo to me about your sacrifices....

Two, her first dress.  Why not just draw a big ol circle around your stomach?  She's not heavy but that dress did her no favors.

• Love 1

Hold the elevator for me, please.

I'm done, too.

I'm with y'all.  Not doing it again . 

Episode was kinda good.  I was thinking that would be something in my mind ,  if I were  Fitz -  Am I stepping stone for Liv. but . then I realised , don't care. Now B 6-don't give a crap is back. So.  let's  ride down together and get some cookies or something .         

I'm not sure where we are with what's public and what's not. They're discrediting Liv by calling her a tramp; are Mellie and Fitz going to be together in the public eye? When they were like "We should call it and 'get back together'" I almost turned off the TV. Nice throwback to "Watch me choose you, watch me earn you" in season 2, complete with the same music.

When Mellie was ranting about how nothing the First Lady wants matters and all you do is decorate and plan galas, I wondered if Michelle Obama would agree. She's always struck me as incredibly smart and ambitious (the Obamas met when she was his boss, after all) and while I think she is genuinely supportive of her husband, I've often wondered if she gets bored. "I'm looking for my hooch" was the best line of the episode.

I actually enjoy Papa Pope/Joe Morton and all his pontificating, but I am not interested at ALL in B-613. And Olivia needs some friends so that she can stop calling the guy she used to sleep with about the guy she's currently sleeping with.

When Cyrus was groveling for his old job and Fitz wouldn't even look up from whatever he was doing, I was like "... Have some dignity, man."

• Love 6
guess Olivia plans to never have her own business and to never be taken seriously as a business person.

Truly beg to differ. Now it's known that Liv has the President's ear (and also his dick) she will get tons of clients who will hope that she can get some advantage for them.  I understand that Washington DC is a City of Whores.  Of course, she is going to need some new associates, real ones not that trio of Murderers she currently has working for her.  She may as well add Charlie to the payroll if she is going to continue with 3 people whose resumes have blood splattered all over them.

• Love 2

I'm a bit confused. Why do they need to drag Olivia through the mud again? If it's to save face for Fitz, wouldn't that only work if they weren't going to stay together? Like

I am legitimately confused.

Also as much as I love Liv, Abby shouldn't have forgiven her that easily. Olivia does nothing but undermine her professionally, manipulate her, leave her in the dark, and have her looking a fool in front of the country.

LOL love how whenever anyone went to talk to Fitz they kept looking at Olivia for approval, they know who's really in charge. Cyrus was about to break his neck the way he kept glancing back at Liv.

• Love 4

I'm a bit confused. Why do they need to drag Olivia through the mud again? If it's to save face for Fitz, wouldn't that only work if they weren't going to stay together? Like

I am legitimately confused.

Also as much as I love Liv, Abby shouldn't have forgiven her that easily. Olivia does nothing but undermine her professionally, manipulate her, leave her in the dark, and have her looking a fool in front of the country.

LOL love how whenever anyone went to talk to Fitz they kept looking at Olivia for approval, they know who's really in charge. Cyrus was about to break his neck the way he kept glancing back at Liv.

my friendship with Liv would be done a long, time ago if I were Abby. she didn't even deny when Abby said "you didn't think i would be good at being you."

lol this is true. it's like they talk to Fitz, but they're asking Liv for her permission. 

• Love 2

The last few seasons I haven't really bought the Olitz love story, but last night was the first time that I thought she'd truly be better off with Jake.  Jake seems to really love her, be there for her, and do anything for her.  Fitz is in love with the idea of Liv and is definitely sexually attracted to her. But I don't see the same level of caring that I do with Jake.  

I'm starting to wonder if they're writing it so that Jake is endgame.  

I know Mellie asked for a life of power, but I also thought her monologue was sad. Yes, she wanted power, but she wanted to share the power, not be a hostess. And that must be a very stifling life for a brilliant woman who supposedly graduated Ivy top of her class. 

I know people aren't supposed to be rational, but I feel like Scandel's problem is, most of the Big Three's problems are self inflicted. 

Olivia wants "to be in the Sun" and "Vermont" but has never actually articulated a plan. 

Mellie despises Fitz, cheats on him, schemes against him but can't let him go. And Fitz mentally abuses her, but you get the feeling that without Liv, he'd just shoulder on miserably. 

I was relieved to see the agreement. Finally, handling things like adults. 

Nope. 

• Love 3

Joining everyone confused about the strategy to attack Liv's character to salvage Fitz's reputation. Sure, IRL, this seemed to be the strategy with Bill Clinton by his allies, but he wasn't secretly desperate to make Gennifer Flowers or Monica his next First Lady, like Fitz is with Liv. It seems more like the White House here would want to find inspiration from other famous men who eventually got divorced and married the other woman. Back when Mellie had a less prominent role, I wondered if the show would kill her off after Olitz had been outed, as another way to delay their ability to go public, but the show's already done a Princess Diana inspired story this season. Then again, Shonda isn't afraid to kill off long-running characters, and I just don't know if President Mellie is ever really going to happen.

I wonder if it's ever going to come up again on the show, about Amanda Tanner and the one who took the fall, the last time Liv was outed as Fitz's mistress. The media will always salivate over a presidential sex scandal even if it's not his first time at the rodeo, but the show could at least acknowledge that Fitz should have a certain "reputation" of his own by now. Of course, the earliest days of the series, when Mellie was not interested in Fitz sexually and encouraging Liv to sleep with him in order to improve his mood, have been totally swept under the rug.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 1

Watch me choose you, watch me earn you

See, I didn't get this. If she was actually choosing him, she would have stepped out in public with him. Isn't that what he wanted? She was choosing the presidency, which he doesn't care about as much as he wants her. That whole scene was a fail to me, and I couldn't understand why Fitz went along with it.

I'm disappointed because for a minute I believed we would actually get public Olitz with all of its fallout, and war with Mellie/Cyrus. That would have been great. Instead we still have secret Olitz, plenty of opportunity for Mellie to come crawling back and B6Crap.

• Love 3

Does anyone get the terrible impression in this episode that if Mellie had joined Princess Emily in that limo of doom, (the ladies who married into power happy hour) and Liv and Fitz were able (after a suitable mourning period) to wed, Olivia would be cheating on Fitz and having affairs. 

Fitz reminds me of Henry the 8th, and Olivia of Anne Boleyn. It's the chase that thrills them, the forbidden pleasure that drives them forward. Fitz-Henry are willing to break the kingdom apart, and they have talented, defiant wives (who aren't innocent themselves) who thwart them. 

I think the moment were it hit me was "18 months." They just have to be quiet for 18 months and all is well. But Fitz can't wait. And deep down, I think he knows why. 

In 18 months, no more power. He'll live on the speaker circuit, a few plum positions, well paid. But he's done. He's past his prime. 

And Liv can find her drama elsewhere. 

• Love 2

The most ridiculous line of the show was Cyrus talking about what a great president Fitz was. And how he could accomplish getting a fair minimum wage and pas environmental legislation. The only thing on this show I find too ridiculous to believe is Fitz is a Republican.

As for B613 I'm hoping against hope they're rewriting the concept. Instead of trying to destroy Fitz, Rowan will be doing OPA stuff, like go after that guy who burned the Louvre. It lets the show keep Joe Morton and Scott Foley, and gives Quinn and Huck something to do. Because as long as I don't have to listen to yet another yelly monologue from Rowan about how Liv is a stupid little girl who needs daddy to take care of her, I'll be happy.

• Love 5

I know I am in the minority here, but frankly Papa Pope's appearance at the end of this episode, and the dark spectre of B-613 that came with it, was practically a breath of fresh air compared to the stale, sappy and pointless quadrangle that is Fitz, Liv, Smellie and Cyrus.

Seeing Fitz and Liv making out in the Oval office made me once again wish Rowan had spared a B-613 assassin for just such an occasion.

The overrated and talentless Smellie's Presidential aspirations are just ridiculous. She shouldn't be President even if she had 18 years experience in the Senate, let alone 18 months. She is a dope. Though admittedly, being a dope hasn't stopped others. But Mellie wanting the Presidency just reeks of the worst type of entitlement.

And Cyrus. Oh, Cyrus. Can't you just accept that Fitz will never love you? Not in any way, shape or form. Many times the show has posited the notion that Olivia is merely "the help". But frankly speaking, that goes double for Cyrus. He should accept it and move on.

• Love 6

I actually thought the ending was very straight-forward. There was no interview to air, so Noah Baker went with the "We're a happily married couple and why do people make up such salacious stories?" interview intercut with footage of Olivia saying she's the President's mistress. Of course the only viable public relations strategy is to attack "the other woman's" credibility.

I assume "Plan B" (since the show never told us, and Mellie bolted before it aired) was Mellie's second set of demands fulfilled: That Fitz admits he made a mistake, but that's in the past, that Mellie forgives him, blah blah," rinse and repeat. It would be appropriate, considering the Olivia footage that just aired, and the White House wouldn't have to attack Olivia, since Fitz and Mellie acknowledged it, are rising above it, etc.

The most ridiculous line of the show was Cyrus talking about what a great president Fitz was. And how he could accomplish getting a fair minimum wage and pas environmental legislation.

I definitely agree those were the words he said, but all I heard was "I need this power back and if I have to kiss your ass to do it, then that's what I'm going to do."

Jake seems to really love her, be there for her, and do anything for her.  Fitz is in love with the idea of Liv and is definitely sexually attracted to her.

I still think Jake is Bradley Cooper in this version of Alias (since Shonda does love that show).

Edited by Eolivet

As for B613 I'm hoping against hope they're rewriting the concept. Instead of trying to destroy Fitz, Rowan will be doing OPA stuff, like go after that guy who burned the Louvre. It lets the show keep Joe Morton and Scott Foley, and gives Quinn and Huck something to do. Because as long as I don't have to listen to yet another yelly monologue from Rowan about how Liv is a stupid little girl who needs daddy to take care of her, I'll be happy.

The problem with this (for me as a viewer) is that they have done too much and gone too far to make these characters irredeemable.  I could turn a blind eye to Fitz shooting down the plane because it was to prevent a much larger scale terrorist attack. I could in my head justify a lot of what Huck did.  Jake killed three people Season 3, but it did seem like a necessary thing for him to do for "the republic."  But I can never see Rowan as redeemable after all the people he killed/had killed last year to keep his secrets.  I can't forget Huck slashing throats and decapitating bodies for no real reason.  I can't forget Fitz starting a war to save his mistress.  They've just pushed the storylines too far.

This made absolutely no sense. Mellie had no leverage. If that tape comes out she has no shot to win the presidency. None. But since Fitz isn't running again he takes a quick hit and moves on with his life.

The answer was to send Fitz and Olivia in to do the interview and come clean. TV guy would have salivated over that. 

• Love 1

In my opinion, Abby threw Liv (with Liv's approval) under the bus to serve as a distraction. She needed to stop the hemorraging of the President's reputation fast, until they could come up with a long term strategy, so she needed to shift the focus of the press away from HIS behavior. She also set up the narrative that Fitz was somehow led astray by a social climbing gold digger, which the general public, based on past instances, seems to be comfortable with. Her focus is on saving his presidency, not his relationship with Liv and how that will play out.

My heart sank when I saw Joe Morton's name in the opening credits. Can't B613 stay dead?

Edited by 2AT

As was suggested upthread, puritanical American society is more ready to accept the notion of Fitz being the hapless victim of a man-eating garden utensil than Fitz betraying the vows he made to his wife and the mother of his children. The race thing would likely be an optics issue too although in Shondaland Livia somehow gets to avoid being called a Jezebel (as one of the three Black female stereotypes). Throwing Olivia under the bus now resets the public clock so Fitz and Mellie can eventually decide to divorce amicably and Olitz and find their way back to each other and "discover" that they actually are in love. It would play as a star-crossed lovers story without Mellie looking like a victim.

He and his White House have come to a halt because of a mistress.

Well, the Clinton White House pretty much came to halt because of a nasty blue dress.

And Olivia needs some friends so that she can stop calling the guy she used to sleep with about the guy she's currently sleeping with.

I think Jake knew what he was getting into when he starting screwing the President's girlfriend. He's never been more than a stand-in taking Fitz' sloppy seconds and apparently is fine playing that role or less.

It seems more like the White House here would want to find inspiration from other famous men who eventually got divorced and married the other woman.

Rudy Giuliani. At one point his mistress (and now wife) was allegedly staying in the governor's mansion at the same time his estranged wife and children were there. The relationship ultimately may have ruined his presidential hopes though. At least Fitz wouldn't have that problem since he'd be termed out as president.

But Mellie wanting the Presidency just reeks of the worst type of entitlement.

Kind of makes you wonder whether SR is taking shots at Hillary but at least Hillary has a term as a Senator and experience on the world stage as Secretary of State. What does Mellie have except years of supporting Fitz and keeping his secrets?

I though most of Mellie's clothing choices were unfortunate but I did like that reversible coat she was wearing in the limo.

• Love 3