Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

The wife of that Chicago couple that chose the house in East Garfield Park is the daughter of Frank E Lee, a dj at WXRT, our renowned and longest running "alternative" rock station.  He posted a brief write up of his experience with it, as he was one of the people in the family & friends at the new house segment at the end.

http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2014/08/28/my-appearance-on-house-hunters/

I still don't feel any better about them choosing that neighborhood, and fret for their safety.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1

Thanks for posting the link, izabella!  Too bad he didn't give us any juicy backstory or answer our question WRT his sil's ridiculous chandy fetish.  (My vote:  producer-driven.  They hadn't removed the hanging light after moving in.)

When the s.f. of that place was what, something like 4x the Wicker Park unit, I assumed the neighborhood totally sucked!

Incidentally, it seems like participant blogs the last couple of years haven't shared much.  Feels like tptb must have tightened up their non-disclosure agreement. 

Edited by BearCat49

Incidentally, it seems like participant blogs the last couple of years haven't shared much.  Feels like tptb must have tightened up their non-disclosure agreement. 

It's really extreme as of at least a couple years back. A friend of mine (no, this isn't that sort of story) got close to signing and bailed out after his lawyer had a look at it. Yes, he was already in escrow. His agent was the one who was desperate to do it for marketing reasons or something along those lines. Wish I had more to tell you, but he bailed before it got anywhere near interesting. 

Edited by whack-a-mole

Nope, watched the Romanian couple's episode after reading recent replies, and nowhere did it state that the parents didn't speak English. I thought that the house was purchased with great consideration of them, a one story within walking distance to the beach. Americans find it so odd when extended family live together, they can't seem to grasp the concept. Anyhoo, they looked pretty darn happy walking on the beach, and cooking what looked like a delicious meal that I bet they shared with the lucky crew.  I wasn't all that impressed with the Chicago choice with the dining room down the hall from the kitchen.I do feel that the producer's need to let go of this conflict of choices narrative driving each episode. The househunters are beginning to look like a bunch of oddballs. I didn't mind the Boca Raton couple all that much, the homes showed were all pretty solid, and their dog was about the cutest I've seen on the show in awhile. Too bad we won't see his dream pool, I bet it'll be something.

• Love 3

The two guys in Indianapolis was pretty easy to know which home they picked as it was new construction being painted in very non-nuetral colors like bright red and bright royal blue for the master bedroom- not something a builder would do for a spec home. Anyway the one guy was so proud of how "modern" his taste was when it was just the same as every one else's is these days: contemporary. He liked brushed nickel - that's contemporary, or what's in style now. Nothing he liked was the least bit modern.  I did like the floors, and thank god they went vertical and not horizontal or else you would never be drawn into the home.

• Love 2

Yes, the colors in the Indianapolis "spec" house were a dead giveaway.  No builder would ever put anything but various hues of beige on the walls of a house that he is trying to sell to the general public.  While one of the guys was very picky about finishes, I did have to agree with him about the use of shiny brass hinges next to brushed nickel handles in the kitchen.  I am assuming that the brushed nickel was chosen by the guys and the contractor uses shiny brass in all of his houses and that did not get changed.  As for the placement of the wood floors, I had a floor installer tell me that he always tries to lay the boards vertically, especially in hallways or narrower spaces to avoid the "walking on the wooden dock" effect.  I had never though of that before, so I guess there is a reason to do that, other than being OCD.  It was going to be difficult to make that house look contemporary.  

• Love 1

Very true about the modern being misused. I think most of these people would run in the other direction if they saw an actual modern designed space. They'd think it was too cold I think.

So, I just watched the new episode tonight in "Chester County, PA". Getting really sick of House Hunters not naming the town. Chester County is a big place and I'd prefer not to look for clues to figure out which town the couple is in (Downington, PA). I knew what to look for because I'm familiar with the area, but I don't understand why they're making it such a puzzle these days. I've noticed it more and more with episodes over the last year and I am not a fan. I want them to name the town of each house but the least they could do is name the town the couple is looking in. Chester County is entirely too big to act like naming the county gives you a good clue, the county touches Greater Philly counties but also Lancaster County, and borders both Delaware and Maryland. Name the town please. Okay, that's it. It's been annoying me, wanted to share. :)

• Love 3

I don't know what to think of the back story of that PA couple. The wife said she hated the cold so much that she was miserable 5 months of the year, so they sold their house and were planning to move to Georgia.  And then he got a new job in PA?  Ugh, I'd be so frustrated if I were her!  I hate the cold, too.

And I have no idea why they need a 7000 square foot house.  Who in the world wants to clean all that??

• Love 1

Their budget was $650,000, she works full time from home and he just landed a better job.  She won't be cleaning that house.  I'm sure they will have a hired housekeeper.  Having said that, I also wondered why 2 people would want 7,000 sq ft to have to maintain and heat and cool.  Maybe they will be featured on a future HH Renovation episode. 

I saw the episode with the woman looking in the Dallas area -- it looked like she worked for a broadcasting company, doing events.  She looked in South Dallas, West Elm and The Colony with her two bossy friends.  My family moved to The Colony back when it was maybe 100 houses and a Stop 'N' Go, so the idea that it could be an up-and-coming area is kind of boggling.  Also, The Colony is well north and west of Dallas, so wherever she worked, there's no way it was convenient to both South Dallas and The Colony.  Oh show, how you lie to us.

The Colony is actually just another McMansionville these days, surrounded by, you guessed it, more McMansionVilles. I used to live on the D side (now on the FW side) and always said that Dallas is actually 300 suburbs in search of a city. 

As far as commute, depending on where her office is, she probably had a radius. That's what we did. 

So, I just watched the new episode tonight in "Chester County, PA". Getting really sick of House Hunters not naming the town. Chester County is a big place and I'd prefer not to look for clues to figure out which town the couple is in (Downington, PA). I knew what to look for because I'm familiar with the area, but I don't understand why they're making it such a puzzle these days. I've noticed it more and more with episodes over the last year and I am not a fan. I want them to name the town of each house but the least they could do is name the town the couple is looking in. Chester County is entirely too big to act like naming the county gives you a good clue, the county touches Greater Philly counties but also Lancaster County, and borders both Delaware and Maryland. Name the town please. Okay, that's it. It's been annoying me, wanted to share. :)

I agree! I'm from Philly burbs, and I've lived in Delaware County and Chester County. And so much of it looks similar. I loved the Colonial place, but I wouldn't want to live in one - I've had friends who did, and there was ALWAYS something not working. 

• Love 1

Sounded to me like the wife of the Wilmington couple stalked the guy until he finally gave in.  His body language looked to me as though he either wasn't as interested in her as she was in him, or he didn't really want to be on the show.  His comment about her pet peeves becoming a pet peeve of his was kind of snarky too.  I really laughed at the end when she was saying that a 3000 sq ft house was a lot to clean, and he was talking about being glad they did not have a pool.  I think if they had listened more to their realtor they might have realized this.  The realtor had some good advice for them as first time buyers and homeowners who would not be home a lot.

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 1

This couple confused me.  They talked all about how they're gone all the time so they wanted a move in ready, low maintenance, Key West style house with a pool.  They ended up buying the biggest house with the biggest yard that needed the most work and had no pool.  I did like their realtor.  When the husband was complaining yet again about seeing the neighbors, the realtor said something like "what makes you think they want to see you?".  Loved that response.  Do people really think their neighbors have nothing better to do than peer out their windows all day?  And here's an idea, maybe if you say hello to your neighbors, you will make some friends!

• Love 2

OK...the male couple on tonight's LA/Palm Springs episode looked vaguely familiar.  Then I remembered they did an HHI episode a few years ago as well - buying a property in Buenos Aires !  I believe in the Recoleta neighborhood. 

I liked the Wilmington couple, I thought the realtor was an asshole. It shows you how fake this show can be when the buyers don't say anything to a real estate agent that shows them a 400K property that borders a trailer park. Also, along with another property, has no backyard to speak of.  The husband's family is from Wilmington, I'm sure they'll look in on the place.when they're travelling for their work.

Okay. This is where we're at, and this is how it goes. I am all for debate. But using language like WTF is not conducive to debate. That's first.

Second: While no rules were explicitly broken in discussing the participants as a whole, the speculating of private issues clearly is offending others, so I have decided to uphold the same policy I have for accents and such. Leave the perceptions of the contestants in terms of orientation, disabilities, religion, or any other such issues at the door. 

It has no bearing on choosing a property or in the house search. Thanks. Any questions? You know what to do.

The wife in tonight's Chicago couple is in my top 5 of most disliked. What's with her needing to be in Chicago, so that her mail will be addressed to Chicago? I don't know if she realizes this, but there are a lot of VERY bad neighborhoods in Chicago proper. Now, I could understand if she wanted her zip code to be in Barrington or one of the really wealthy suburbs, but being so weird about being in the City was too strange. I mean, to even say that if it were the same neighborhood, with one house being her dream house,but one side of the street was Chicago and one was another town, she'd not buy the dream house. She really sounded dumb. And don't get me started on her weirdness on wood color.

I kept telling the husband to run as far as he can from her.

• Love 3

I believe I was yelling at the TV, "then stain the closet doors!" Had the aroma of producer shenanigans. As for the Chicago address--good luck, sweetie, I'm downtown in the worst postal delivery station in the country (no really, I think they earned an award at some point).

• Love 2
The wife in tonight's Chicago couple is in my top 5 of most disliked. What's with her needing to be in Chicago, so that her mail will be addressed to Chicago?

I didn't see the episode, but was she a city worker?  Some city workers (fire fighters, police) need to live within the city borders in order to work for the city.

Izabella, no, neither works for the city.  As a matter of fact, the agent took them to a house in Skokie that the hubby liked and she just pouted that "It's not Chicago, it's Skokie and I want a Chicago address."  There was just something about this girl and her wanting all her letters to have a return address of Chicago and NO OTHER CITY.  This was her big thing from the beginning of the show---she wanted all her mail to be Chicago because it's cool to be from a big city.

I liked the Chicago husband's response when he asked her how many letters she wrote now, and she replied that if she had a Chicago address she would write more.  I don't live there and obviously I do not understand the prestige, if any, associated with having a Chicago address.

Chicago is a city of neighborhoods (eg, East Garfield Park) surrounded by enormous, sprawling suburbs, so there is no cache simply to having a Chicago address.  Some Chicago neighborhoods are nice, some are not.  Some suburbs are nice, some are not.  As with any city, there is some prestige to having an address in certain areas of Chicago.  People will notice if you live on Astor Place or in the 60610 zip code or whatnot.  However there are also very affluent suburbs that if you tell people from the rest of Chicagoland you live there they'll assume you're doing very well.  Moreover, people from those suburbs often (in my experience) tend to look down on people from the city a bit.  Probably less so now than in years past, but there are lots of suburbanites around Chicago (as there are in most metro areas) who think the city is full of criminals, drug addicts and welfare queens.  So somebody who thinks that being from "Chicago" necessarily makes them look better than being from anywhere else in the area is like somebody who names their daughter "Champagne" so she'll have a classy name.  

• Love 4

I did like tonight's couple who looked for a condo, until the very end. I'll admit, I'm a dog person, and when they showed how miserable that poor dog looked, how he was frightened by the high rise and cowered next to the door, and you heard him whimpering, I felt so bad. Even the couple admitted the dog was unhappy as there's no green space and he was scared of being so high up. Plus, he's a bigger dog and this condo wasn't large. Personally, I've never thought high rise, small apartments/condos are for large dogs.

Truther, you hit it right on the head with your Chicago assessment. I could see if they were buying a million dollar plus condo on Lake Drive, and people knew that zip code and are impressed, but to buy just anything just to be able write Chicago on your letters is just dumb.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 2

Chicago gal who wanted the ranch didn't want it badly enough to live in Skokie--so be it. Part of living in a city center (or popular area) is the ability to walk to work, restaurants, entertainment, etc. (and world-class all that in Chicago). It's frequently a selling point in many cities on this show and its international sister. Chicago has tons to offer in that department--although not where they ended up. She, who will be sending out more holiday cards this year, is currently practicing writing her Chicago address.

• Love 1

Just chiming in on the latest Chicago episode. I am not in a furor over the woman's need to be in Chicago because it was a plot point. I don't think it was real. They needed a drama-causing plot point. With the previous couple in Chicago who chose a bad neighborhood, that is different. With that said, Chicago has lots of nice neighborhoods; I get the feeling that many people think (because of what they here in the media) that Chicago does not. And lastly, I can understand someone not wanting to live in the suburbs because they prefer the city. 

I'll bet you're correct, Enigma X.  They seemed short of plot points in that episode and it's one of tptb's common refrains - suburbs v. city.  She kept saying, "It HAS to be in Chicago!" but never offered any plausible reason - at least that I heard.

I was concerned about the ATL pup, too, KLovestoShop.  Besides his fear of heights and lack of green space, they kept mentioning frequent travel.  Why keep such a large dog in the city and then have to kennel him (or something) on top of that!

Edited by BearCat49

I also felt very sorry for the dog.  After all of their talk about wanting green space and a dog friendly environment, the poor dog ended up in a high rise and he had a fear of heights.  The distance from the condo to the park is 10 minutes according to the husband and that's a long way to have to travel for green space for the dog.  The couple said they are gone 6 months a year sometimes.   

Just chiming in on the latest Chicago episode. I am not in a furor over the woman's need to be in Chicago because it was a plot point. I don't think it was real. They needed a drama-causing plot point. With the previous couple in Chicago who chose a bad neighborhood, that is different. With that said, Chicago has lots of nice neighborhoods; I get the feeling that many people think (because of what they here in the media) that Chicago does not. And lastly, I can understand someone not wanting to live in the suburbs because they prefer the city. 

I think it was probably a plot-point too, but let's face it, if you're from a burb around Chicago,--are traveling,  and asked where your live/are from, you say _____ burb, get a huh?, then say Chicago/the Chicago area. 

By living in the city... that saves her the time.;-)

BTW, I can remember yrs back when Chicago was divided into 2 area code prefixes, the entire city used to be 312, but outside downtown, near north/south &west areas around downtown, the rest of the city became 708.

Some people went  apoplextic becoming 708's...they weren't cool anylonger, so they would pay extra for the  312 prefix.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1

Some people went  apoplextic becoming 708's...they weren't cool anylonger, so they would pay extra for the  312 prefix.

You're totally right.  The 212 is the best example but 312 is the same thing.  (I actually once yelled "708" at someone driving badly down the street in Chicago.  Yes, I'm a jerk.)  Area codes are actually pretty cool.  They were designed with rotary phones in mind, so you can see what were the most- and least-phoned places in America 75 years ago based on the area code it got.  NYC got the shortest.  Then LA and Chicago got the equivalent 312 and 213.  And so on.

On the Atlanta people, I'm ashamed (as a dog owner) I didn't catch the dog's obvious phobia.  In retrospect you guys are right.  It was a terrible choice.  But during the episode itself all I was thinking was I would love to give that Fabio guy a cuddle!  (And I'm a dude.) 

• Love 1

*Sigh* the woman that only wanted to live in Chicago had the nerve to complain about being too close to their neighbors while looking at homes in Chicago. That's when I decided I'd had enough of producer manipulation and canceled my season pass for HH. I used to enjoy looking at various homes across the country even if they telescoped the home that would be selected (vacant, renovations underway and a pack and play crib under a sheet) but now they come up with the most ridiculous demands by the homebuyer for drama (my top "favorites"...hates electrical outlets, hates chandeliers, has to have a Chicago address...). Naw, I'm done.

RIP HHs.

Edited by stafford
  • Love 2

The best thing was Fabio line when saying why he was not a "fan of fans": I can't get used to a fake wind blowing on me!

See, that was a real reason not to like something!

In Atlanta you get way more for your money Downtown than you do in Midtown or Buckhead. Midtown is the most expensive and considered the most residential of "in-town" living. Where they bought, downtown, is a lot cheaper because it is considered much higher in crime. For some reason Atlantan's do not live  downtown so all of the high rises there are lowering prices to get people to move in. A lot of empty units. It's really tanked down there.  I think its mostly that it is surrounded by what is considered to be high crime areas.  I agree about the dog. It probably is happier when they kennel it because perhaps they have some suburban friends with a backyard who watch it when they are gone. 

I have no idea why anyone would get a large dog in an apartment. I live in a high rise and I love dogs but most of the dogs in the building get walked perfunctorily - at best once around the block. I don't think having a park nearby alters the equation significantly because most people's schedules don't lend themselves to extended runs/walks exercise on a daily basis. Early morning most people are squeezing it in while trying to get out the door; home from work and again rushed and the late night walk for most people is when they want to get back and get ready for bed.

As for the dog's height phobia, that's really the least of it. I used to dog sit my parents' dog and the first couple of times he got on the elevator it freaked him out because he experienced the floor - to him - literally dropping beneath his paws. After a few times, he was no longer fearful and associated it with good times.

Does anyone else feel that last night's Dallas couple were insane to purchase that house?  Sure, it could be lovely, BUT, that house had so many flagrant problems like bowed out walls, rotting wood everywhere and floors that were at least a foot below the rest of the floor that the house not only will be a money pit, but also a health hazard and dangerous.  I would bet there's lead paint everywhere and who knows what else.  They had two other lovely choices but they chose the one that had serious problems.  I can see an epi of where are they now. 

And what is it with so many women and "I can't live in a house where someone had died" business?  Who you gonna call?  Ghost Busters !!!!

• Love 2

So many people have that issue there are states in which "someone died here" is among the list of things sellers must disclose. Unless the dead body comes with the house, I don't understand how this is something to get upset about, but this is one time where something might not be any more common on HH than it is in reality.

• Love 1

Unless the dead body comes with the house, I don't understand how this is something to get upset about

Seriously.  How would you even know?  (Well, unless it was disclosed by law.)  This is truly a case of what you don't know won't hurt you -- and even if you do know, so what? -- so just don't ask.  Problem solved.  It's like renting a car and then demanding to know whether any previous driver has farted in it.  Why make problems for yourself?

• Love 2

Seriously. How would you even know? (Well, unless it was disclosed by law.) This is truly a case of what you don't know won't hurt you -- and even if you do know, so what? -- so just don't ask. Problem solved. It's like renting a car and then demanding to know whether any previous driver has farted in it. Why make problems for yourself?

The only time I would care is if it was the sight of a well published crime because people can get weird about being tragedy groupies. Other than that whatever. If a house is old enough chances are...

• Love 2

I'm with you FozzyBear.  If the house had been the scene of some grizzly murder, I might think twice about buying it.  But if Grandma died in her sleep there, what's the big deal?

I'm also wondering if we will see a "where are they now" episode with the couple in Dallas.  There were SO many problems with that house, although they did get it for a low price.  They weren't even married yet, were they?  I guess if they can survive that remodel, their marriage will be on pretty solid ground.

When you are buying a very old house, chances are someone died in it.  People in the early part of the 20th century and before that did not go to hospitals or nursing homes to die.  They usually died at home and, in many instances, the wake was held at home with the body in the coffin usually in the formal living room.

• Love 2

I know this show is fake, but since that's the case can't the writers come up with a plot that is even a little bit original? So tired of every couple wanting the exact opposite in houses. She wants a downtown condo, he wants a farmhouse in a rural area. Or one guy has to have new construction, while his partner yearns for the charm of an older home.

Then we're treated to a half hour of one or both of them whining "too far a commute" or "it has no character" or "the rooms are so small." I refuse to believe that every single couple in America each wants a different style/type of house.

HGTV used to have a program that would show you what $300, 000 or a million dollars would buy you in different parts of the country. That was much more entertaining and realistic.

Edited by SpiritSong
  • Love 1

When you are buying a very old house, chances are someone died in it.  People in the early part of the 20th century and before that did not go to hospitals or nursing homes to die.  They usually died at home and, in many instances, the wake was held at home with the body in the coffin usually in the formal living room.

I agree and I am sure the web service company she pays $14 only has more recent deaths in their database. I don't know if on a death certificate they have to put "place of death" and this tracks that or what. But I bet it is not complete. I'm sure she is going to be haunted in that house. If not by a real ghost, then by how expensive it is going to be to fix all the stuctural damage and crooked floors!

I just binge-watched the family renovation show. What is that shows name, and does it have a forum? Thanks in advance.

My Big Family Renovation? If that is the one you are thinking of (motorcycle riding pastor, family with five kids, two of whom are adopted from Ethiopia) -- it does not have a forum that I could find.

• Love 2