Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

Watching the shows now, and while I fully know that the producers set things up, these people have some weird ideas.  The wife wants a place for a drinking fountain for ALL their kids (they have one, 10 month old) and he needs really high ceilings so he can fly remote helicopters?  He actually liked one house because he could sit on the toilet and fly his chopper?  And what's with parents not realizing that their precious darlings are going to grow up?  It drives me nuts when they say things like, the step into the living room is going to be bad for the baby, and we need carpet so when the baby falls, it's not on hard wood floors.  Hey, mom. The kid will grow up soon enough. 

• Love 3

Is anybody watching the HH-ish show called "Big Sky Montana" (I think that's the name of it).  It's just like HH only all the homes are in Montana.  I've seen it twice and since I love those big log homes, will most likely continue to watch, if I can figure out when it airs.

There's also "Buying Alaska" and "Living Alaska" and I enjoy those too, because the homes that are off the grid as SO primitive.  Outhouses anyone?  Nails pointing up on the outside steps to keep bears away?  Tote your own water and light the house with oil lamps?  Might be fun for a long weekend, but not for my permanent home.

There are also beach houses, bayou houses, islands ... pretty much anything you want to buy.

• Love 3

I agree and I am sure the web service company she pays $14 only has more recent deaths in their database. I don't know if on a death certificate they have to put "place of death" and this tracks that or what. But I bet it is not complete. I'm sure she is going to be haunted in that house. If not by a real ghost, then by how expensive it is going to be to fix all the stuctural damage and crooked floors!

My daughter died in my sister's house but the actual death certificate says the city of the hospital. Not even the city my sister lived in. When my sister sold her house she asked the realtor about disclosing the death.  She was told that in our state (FL) it only has to be disclosed if the person asks.

I saw those Big Sky episodes.  Beautiful scenery.  I'd rather relocate to Montana than Alaska; the homes they looked at all seemed to be in the Bozeman area, so at least there's a place to go shop and do things.  Montana State U. has its campus there.

If I moved to Alaska, I'd be one of those people living near a major city.  None of that off in the wildnerness, getting to the place by seaplane for me. Uh-uh.  If I had a raised deck around my house, I'd put the stairs on a pneumatic lift system to raise them up so no bears could come on it - LOL.  Raise the drawbridge! :-D

• Love 5

I recall back in Maryland, there was some complaint because after people bought a house, the found that it was notorious for being the site of brutal murder, of fairly recently vintage.
There was some talk of a disclosure law, but don't know if it happened.
When we sold my mother's house, my father had died there, of natural causes, doctor there, and I never even thought about mentioning that.

As others have said, houses of a certain age often have seen several deaths.

I think it's when you sell someone a house, and then the neighbors start asking "didn't you mind about...?" that there's a problem.

Is anybody watching the HH-ish show called "Big Sky Montana" (I think that's the name of it).  It's just like HH only all the homes are in Montana.  I've seen it twice and since I love those big log homes, will most likely continue to watch, if I can figure out when it airs.

There's also "Buying Alaska" and "Living Alaska" and I enjoy those too, because the homes that are off the grid as SO primitive.  Outhouses anyone?  Nails pointing up on the outside steps to keep bears away?  Tote your own water and light the house with oil lamps?  Might be fun for a long weekend, but not for my permanent home.

There are also beach houses, bayou houses, islands ... pretty much anything you want to buy.

slasherboy - I missed that Montana show, but will keep looking for it to air again - I love log homes.  I'm a big fan of the Alaska shows, too - I enjoy watching other people roughing it (which is why I like the HH: Off the Grid episodes).  :-)   Have you seen the show "Where the Wild Men Are"?  It's about people living off the grid - I saw Alaska, New Zealand & Texas; then the show disappeared.

After retirement, I took the training to become a real estate agent in Maryland for something to do. The Maryland Real Estate Commission says the seller or owner does not need to disclose a death or felonies committed at a property. However, they do encourage agents who learn of it to discuss with clients disclosing this information, and if the client agrees, to be sure to get it in writing.

In one episode recently, a woman was saying she wanted a one story because their future children would have trouble navigating the stairs and the husband told her the child would learn how to navigate stairs and not to worry about it.  He also said they could put up a gate.  At the end of another episode, one of those "smothers" was bragging about how little Suzie had learned to climb the stairs to her playroom very quickly. 

I have an idea for the HH producers.  How about letting the house hunters look at the houses and not give them something to harp on for added dramatic effect.  How about an unscripted show with real comments and concerns about the houses.

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 4

Especially since just about every home on this planet has characteristics that would naturally lend themselves to discussion; there is no need to make stuff up.  Even though one home being "toured" already belongs to the HHs, they shouldn't have any difficulty finding negatives to discuss -- I love my house and have been in it nearly 10 years, but there are still things about it I intend to change and a couple of immutable traits I would change if I could.

• Love 3

The best thing was Fabio line when saying why he was not a "fan of fans": I can't get used to a fake wind blowing on me!

See, that was a real reason not to like something!

In Atlanta you get way more for your money Downtown than you do in Midtown or Buckhead. Midtown is the most expensive and considered the most residential of "in-town" living. Where they bought, downtown, is a lot cheaper because it is considered much higher in crime. For some reason Atlantan's do not live  downtown so all of the high rises there are lowering prices to get people to move in. A lot of empty units. It's really tanked down there.  I think its mostly that it is surrounded by what is considered to be high crime areas.  I agree about the dog. It probably is happier when they kennel it because perhaps they have some suburban friends with a backyard who watch it when they are gone. 

That cosmopolitan ATL couple knows people who live in the suburbs??  (lol)  Don't think so - how gauche!  They claimed that they travel 6 mos out of the year so that's a little much to ask of a friend.  That's a backstory I wouldn't give them.

Does anyone else feel that last night's Dallas couple were insane to purchase that house?  Sure, it could be lovely, BUT, that house had so many flagrant problems like bowed out walls, rotting wood everywhere and floors that were at least a foot below the rest of the floor that the house not only will be a money pit, but also a health hazard and dangerous.  I would bet there's lead paint everywhere and who knows what else.  They had two other lovely choices but they chose the one that had serious problems.  I can see an epi of where are they now. 

And what is it with so many women and "I can't live in a house where someone had died" business?  Who you gonna call?  Ghost Busters !!!!

Agree, that Dallas home had far too many problems, IMHO.  It appeared to be a serious money pit - not a home that I'd expect to see a successful, completed reno on HHR or one of the other HGTV programs in a few months.  Don't know that the other 2 homes were available when they were househunting - they may have been decoys.

I know this show is fake, but since that's the case can't the writers come up with a plot that is even a little bit original? So tired of every couple wanting the exact opposite in houses. She wants a downtown condo, he wants a farmhouse in a rural area. Or one guy has to have new construction, while his partner yearns for the charm of an older home.

Then we're treated to a half hour of one or both of them whining "too far a commute" or "it has no character" or "the rooms are so small." I refuse to believe that every single couple in America each wants a different style/type of house.

HGTV used to have a program that would show you what $300, 000 or a million dollars would buy you in different parts of the country. That was much more entertaining and realistic.

Yes, the standard plots feel extremely stale at this point.

HGTV needs at least 6 months in editing and post-production before programs air.  The series about homes at various price points felt outdated to us b/c RE markets constantly evolve.

Especially since just about every home on this planet has characteristics that would naturally lend themselves to discussion; there is no need to make stuff up.  Even though one home being "toured" already belongs to the HHs, they shouldn't have any difficulty finding negatives to discuss -- I love my house and have been in it nearly 10 years, but there are still things about it I intend to change and a couple of immutable traits I would change if I could.

I agree but tptb believe they need conflict.  And, they try to vary the plots, even though they constantly recycle certain ones.  Tough to disagree, given their ratings.  One participant couple stated that if they simply disagreed about something when they started shooting at a new location they could get filming over with that much faster!

OMG!! I am watching the new show in New Orleans, and the first house they showed the couple in Uptown that had been completely renovated is directly across the street from our daughter's house! I saw their house and their van parked out front. Their neighborhood was damaged by Katrina. The house they are renting was renovated after the storm. The house they showed completely renovated was a total wreck for years. When we went of visit last year, they had just started to renovate it. We are visiting again soon, so I'm looking forward to seeing the eyesore across the street looking good.

ETA: Just heard from our daughter - they did see the filming and knew it was HH. She said it was listed for $375,000, and sold it a few weeks. She thought it was crazy they got about that for a 1300 sq ft house.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2

That first house looked great on the inside.  For not a lot of square footage they put in some lovely little spaces, including that sunny office down the back.  The guy's complaint about the small bedroom window had me shaking my head. 

The reveal was probably the most mailed-in reveal I've ever seen on this show.  Who looks at a house that's already in mid-renovation?!?  When they went back "three months later" the exact same door frames were stacked up in the exact same way in the middle of their gutted new kitchen. 

• Love 2

That first house looked great on the inside.  For not a lot of square footage they put in some lovely little spaces, including that sunny office down the back.  The guy's complaint about the small bedroom window had me shaking my head. 

The reveal was probably the most mailed-in reveal I've ever seen on this show.  Who looks at a house that's already in mid-renovation?!?  When they went back "three months later" the exact same door frames were stacked up in the exact same way in the middle of their gutted new kitchen. 

And who sells a home in mid-renovation?  Yes, in general, whenever the HH participants tour a home in mid-reno, they've already purchased that home and are working on it.  Did you hear the guy say they'd been working on it for 2 months?  The episodes require 5 days filming and it's usually all completed in a week or so. 

The existing tenant probably gave notice when they closed on the place a couple of months prior to filming.  Tenants don't care to live with the noise and dust.  I would expect them to move into that unit as they renovate but have a feeling tptb thought it sounded sexier to have them say they'd be stuck at the parents' home for an entire year.

Agree, the first decoy home was nice and some of the guy's comments were a little much.  And they recited the typical complaints/lines about "character".  Give it historic charm, use your own personality and add your own character, HH participants - unless you're lacking in imagination, that is!

Did your daughter confirm any HH details, chessiegal?  How quickly was that home sold?  Did they film at that home for an entire day?  (They've always said they need 1 day per home to film each and every camera angle.)  The asking price sounds correct but have heard that before.  Tptb must know we can easily verify those details.

Edited by BearCat49

The wife kept harping on wanting an entry area.  Shotgun houses don't have entry areas which the realtor tried to point out to her.  Buy a hall tree or build a wall, but don't expect an entry or foyer in a house of that style. They got a pretty good price for 3700 sf.  I think I would have combined the two units for a large single family house because I wouldn't want to be a landlord.  Hope they insulate the common wall and plumbing well because those old houses have no insulation or sound proofing.    

Edited by laredhead
  • Love 1

The wife kept harping on wanting an entry area.  Shotgun houses don't have entry areas which the realtor tried to point out to her.  Buy a hall tree or build a wall, but don't expect an entry or foyer in a house of that style. They got a pretty good price for 3700 sf.  I think I would have combined the two units for a large single family house because I wouldn't want to be a landlord.  Hope they insulate the common wall and plumbing well because those old houses have no insulation or sound proofing.    

You're correct, laredhead.  They professed such love of NOLA architecture but didn't seem to understand the fundamentals of a shotgun house.  Finally, last house IIRC, the wife said something about placing some shelves for shoes by the door.

I thought about combining the units, too, but am not sure they could handle it, financially.  I'd speak with the contractor/architect/designer to (hopefully) set the rental unit up such that it could be easily converted later, e.g. after they have children, assuming this is a long-term home for them. 

• Love 1

They only paid $318,000 for the Shotgun house so I think they might have been able to make it into a one family.

The husband annoyed me so much while looking at the first house that I almost shut the TV...I said "almost"...I'm weak.

I just had a chance to watch the one with the single Army mom in Washington DC. Builders know that all they have to do is put in dark cabinets, tan/beige granite countertops, stainless steel applicances, dark hardwood floors and their crappy homes will sell no matter how bad the layout and how crappy the location. People LOVE that kitchen! 

The house she got was nice, but honestly that kitchen was so typical of what kitchens of the late 00's and teens look like. People are going to walk into a place like that in ten years and call it "dated". It's so boring and so similar. Neutral and colorless. I think we may see a backlash against the tan/brown countertops and backsplashes of this period. Remember the late seventies we had all brown in our homes? Then came the 80s and Gray was new neutral and gray and pinks was a common decorating scheme as a way to change up all that seventies brown and tan. Now we are right back to brown and tan! 

I do think that house worked for her mainly because the basement room was perfect for the kids. In any case the fake homes she looked at, one of them was wrong for her because it had so much light carpet, which would be ruined with 3 young kids in no time.

• Love 1

They only paid $318,000 for the Shotgun house so I think they might have been able to make it into a one family.

The husband annoyed me so much while looking at the first house that I almost shut the TV...I said "almost"...I'm weak.

They made no mention of any plans to convert it when they discussed the 3 homes.  They did, however, mention that it was an income property and they discussed the prospect of becoming landlords.  So, it sounded as if they'd considered that income.  Although we don't know their finances, the home had been purchased at least 2 months prior to filming so it might be safe to assume that the HH "budget" included that calculation.

----------------------------------

WRT the single army mom, agree, Bellalisa, thought it was sad she selected that builder box.  Assuming the locations and commute times stated during the episode were accurate, it sounded as if she sacrificed a great deal of time with her children.  Knew she'd selected the new home but was sad/hoping she'd taken the resale home and simply installed some cheap, practical laminate or something.  Priorities, priorities ...

Edited by BearCat49

Since they don't have to pay rent or worry about a place to live -- I've watched enough Income Property to know that they should concentrate on getting the rental apartment into shape first, so they get some income to help them finish their own space.  Because $30K won't go far.

But it does have a ton of potential, so good luck to them.

• Love 1

Yes, bearcat, I am sure in real life, that is her real alternative selections for homes to buy, there was something with a shorter commute that was larger and more practical for her 3 kids. Unfortunately those houses had an old outdated kitchens. When all you want is that beige granite kitchen you are blind to the rest of the house. I've been touring apartments with a friend of mine and they all come with that identical kitchen- dark cabinets-tan granite-white subway tile backsplash or tan backsplash, cheap stainless appliances.

• Love 2

I, too, thought that the hour minimum commute to and from work was a bit much since she has 3 young children.  Nothing was ever said about before or after school care, their schools, etc.  All she seemed to be focused on was brand new.  She could have gotten a nice house, at least it looked nice, for less money in an area closer to her work.  Maybe it wasn't in a good school district.  Townhouses are always going to be less expensive than unattached houses, so naturally she would get more square footage for her money.  The commute would be the deal breaker for me.  

• Love 2

Today seems to be NYC day.  I saw one couple of Property Virgins this morning who lived in the city but looked at houses in New Rochelle.

I just saw a couple with a $600,000 budget who wanted the city and ended up in Brooklyn.  They wanted a 1 BR but had to have amenities.  The funniest part was the wife claiming the neighbors are too close.  I was like WTF...you're living in buildings.. of course your neighbor is close.

• Love 3

Yes, bearcat, I am sure in real life, that is her real alternative selections for homes to buy, there was something with a shorter commute that was larger and more practical for her 3 kids. Unfortunately those houses had an old outdated kitchens. When all you want is that beige granite kitchen you are blind to the rest of the house. I've been touring apartments with a friend of mine and they all come with that identical kitchen- dark cabinets-tan granite-white subway tile backsplash or tan backsplash, cheap stainless appliances.

Agree, although renovations are difficult, it's too bad she couldn't have worked to find an alternative, i.e. a less expensive home with a more reasonable commute and good school districts, etc.  plus a contractor to help her upgrade the kitchen - instead of jumping at the first shiny, new townhouse that came along.

• Love 2

I hate to admit this, but on tonight's episode of HH, the couple said they had a $3 million budget, and he had a huge collection of very expensive exotic cars, the first thing I thought was drug cartel. But the wife was right when she said that you take this $3 million house to Georgia and it would be $600,000.

• Love 1

We looked at several houses mid-renovation when we were looking for a vacation home.  Sometimes people bite off more than they can chew or in the case of one just run out of money and get foreclosed.  Like this couple we bought one that was a hot mess but a year later is to the point we will have guests. But I also knew that was the house because they called them some term that alluded to the fact that they wanted to help New Orleans. Cannot remember exactly what it was and were all about New Orleans character.

Regarding the Palisades episode last night, I sure wish I had the luxury of repeatedly describing 2+ million dollar homes as "cute".  It's just not my style but is rolling your eyes and heavily sighing over your husbands hobbies, opinions, comments, etc. a healthy response after just 10 months of marriage?  Girlfriend, you've got a long road ahead if you're already this annoyed by him.  Those two just seemed completely disconnected.  Like they barely looked each other in the eye. 

• Love 3

We looked at several houses mid-renovation when we were looking for a vacation home.  Sometimes people bite off more than they can chew or in the case of one just run out of money and get foreclosed.  Like this couple we bought one that was a hot mess but a year later is to the point we will have guests. But I also knew that was the house because they called them some term that alluded to the fact that they wanted to help New Orleans. Cannot remember exactly what it was and were all about New Orleans character.

Agree, it does happen IRL.  In HGTV HH-land, however, it almost always means they're working on their new home.  Coincidentally, it happened again on the very next new episode - yesterday's Pacific Palisades episode.  They were refinishing the hardwood floors.  IMHO, more so than most reno procedures, it'd be extremely unusual to show a home during that process b/c of concerns about dust, etc.

• Love 2

Coincidentally, it happened again on the very next new episode - yesterday's Pacific Palisades episode.  They were refinishing the hardwood floors.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.  It wasn't even plausible that they were going to buy one of the other houses.  I mean seriously, a $3.2 million house that isn't officially on the market and the prospective buyers can't even look at an entire wing of it because the floors are being redone?!?  Plus all the husband did was talk about how much he loved it and how it was exactly what he wanted.

Of course you're right, coolmom, about people selling homes that they started to renovate but couldn't complete the process.  But the NOLA realtor, IIRC, was talking about the "current owner" doing ongoing renovations -- that you'd be buying a property that was in the middle of being gutted and renovated.  That simply makes no sense.  Either sell it as-is and let the new owners rehab it however they want (with their money rather than yours), or renovate it and then sell it at the higher price and get your investment back.

I thought the Pacific Palisades homes were generally unimpressive, especially for the price, but that's the thing about location.  It's called "Pacific Palisades" for a reason.  What an equivalent home would cost in Georgia is neither here nor there because you can't get a cliffside ocean view in Georgia.  It's like somebody in their waterfront cabana in Tahiti saying that you could stay in the same sized place in Nebraska for a tenth the price.  So what?  There are no tropical beaches in Nebraska, last I checked.  If the wife wanted a mansion in Georgia she shouldn't have married some dude who wears lip gloss and has a boatload of cash. 

• Love 5

Personally, I liked the house with the ocean view in the Pacific Palisades episode, but we all know that one really wasn't on the market.  At the end of the episode the husband said he had sold some of his car collection.  Wonder if the did that to pay for the renovations and additions to that house?  The wife said they are addiing a guest house.  Maybe that's where they plan to put the visiting children.   

• Love 1

They were also adding at least a couple of bedrooms so it sounded as if the guest house was only for other visitors.  You're correct, truther - when the homes have a reno in process v. a stalled reno, it's obvious.

Yes, the GA prices are irrelevant.  Return to GA if you don't care to shell out $3M+ for those incredible views and that location.  Hmmm, didn't hear him say he was unloading a few cars.  Makes sense -

Edited by BearCat49

The civil engineer half of that civil engineer + physician couple in Denver came across as a whiny bitch. What a freaking complainer and negative person throughout. And why does being tall mean that you need an open floor plan in your house? Maybe that is something I don't understand as an average height person.

The Denver people really bought some ugly new cabinets for the kitchen. I think they were cherry wood red/brown but very shiny wood cabinets. They looked very late 80s. I didn't get it.. He was a really strange guy. I have to say they really tricked me thought in this episode as I was sure they picked House 3.

I rewatched rather slowly to get a close up look at the "before" cabinets, and they painted them that hideoius cherry red wood and overshined them. Hopefully they can afford new cabinets one day.

Edited by Bellalisa

I saw the episode of the newly-minted doctors from Rochester buying a home in Houston. Seems she was hung up on a pool.

I just wonder, am I the only one who would not have a pool unless it was large enough to swim in? If I just want to be cool outside, I'd just install an outdoor shower or a misting system. If I'm going to spend money and time on keeping a pool, I'd better be able to swim several strokes in that bad boy!

• Love 1

The Denver people really bought some ugly new cabinets for the kitchen. I think they were cherry wood red/brown but very shiny wood cabinets. They looked very late 80s. I didn't get it.. He was a really strange guy. I have to say they really tricked me thought in this episode as I was sure they picked House 3.

I rewatched rather slowly to get a close up look at the "before" cabinets, and they painted them that hideoius cherry red wood and overshined them. Hopefully they can afford new cabinets one day.

He did seem a little strange.  I noticed the cabinets and didn't care for them but had the distinct impression that was their taste, i.e. their interpretation of "modern" or "contemporary".  Given their professions and DINK status, they appeared to be able to afford whatever they liked, notwithstanding her student loans.

I saw the episode of the newly-minted doctors from Rochester buying a home in Houston. Seems she was hung up on a pool.

I just wonder, am I the only one who would not have a pool unless it was large enough to swim in? If I just want to be cool outside, I'd just install an outdoor shower or a misting system. If I'm going to spend money and time on keeping a pool, I'd better be able to swim several strokes in that bad boy!

Sorta' slept through this episode and its lovely (lol) tract homes.  Wasn't the pool a non-issue b/c the subdivisions had community pools?  So much easier if you don't mind hanging with a few neighbors, IMHO.

Did anyone catch the Evanston episode last night?  House #3 was being renovated when the homeowners looked at it.  The husband -- who we were told is terrible at visualizing things -- walked into this empty home and immediately knew precisely where his TVs would go and how the renovations would look when finished.  Of course he knew this because it was their house. 

Maybe I'm overthinking this but it's not really worth watching if they're going to mail it in to quite the degree they've recently been mailing it in on this show. 

Edited by truther
  • Love 1

That was really mailed in. It was so obvious! Bad acting too! Wait, what's going on here?!?! 

This almost belongs in the Hall of Fame (Hall of Shame) the couple buying in Woodstock or Saugerties NY and the desire for a staircase that you could take the quintessential prom photo on. Mind you, he did have a high school-aged daughter who had a prom coming up. Nope, he didn't even have a younger daughter. He didn't even have a kid nor even know if he was EVER GOING TO HAVE A DAUGHTER!!! But was trying to adopt an infant which obviously could be male or female. No, I am not making this up. He was upset if the house they were looking at had no staircase that was perfect for when he adopted a baby girl, and in 17 years from now, she gets asked to her prom, and they are still living in that house, so he can take a photo. It was the number one thing he was looking for in a house. I've really heard it all now. I mean it's  worse than buying something for a kid you have who will outgrow the situation/game/problem in 6 months to a year (Stairs to fall down)- worse to buy something for imaginary children 20 years in the future!!!!

• Love 2

Your forgot his other deal breaker - a perfect spot for the Christmas tree.  I was surprised that they bought the "four square" with the flat roof on the busy road.  At the end wasn't it fortunate that the former owners decided to leave a lot of the furniture - wink, wink.

• Love 3

Did they really do a second episode with a Christmas tree nut?  Because that idiot who evaluated every home based on where the Christmas tree could be best placed - while his wife was most concerned with a gas rather than wood-burning fireplace and both were flat-out obsessed with having every family member in the same room at all times other than sleeping - is pretty high on my personal "What the hell is wrong with you people?" list for HH.  To have a junior is rather baffling.

IIRC, the same guy who was obsessed with a "prom picture staircase" also wanted the perfect place for a Christmas tree.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.  So many episodes, so many homeowners with deal breaker lists.

• Love 1

Those prom-picture parents really creep me out, first of all with the assumption that their (future) children will even want to go to a prom.  That's something that I never wanted to do; don't know if it disappointed my parents or not, but going to one was never a childhood dream of mine, so I never bothered with them.  Imagine how crushed those homeowners will be if they wind up with a child with a mindset like mine?  They will have bought their homes for nothing - lol.

• Love 3

They will have bought their homes for nothing - lol.

Good thing they bought the home because it had no stairs or your non-prom-going ass would be dead.

I was trying to think of what my demands would be in another home, and I couldn't be as specific as these buyers are. I wonder how many buyers are like me and just get pushed into making demands.

Something that still amazes me: relatively newish homes that still put carpet in the dining room (I won't get into that carpeted bathroom thing). I'm not sure I've seen anyone on HH comment on liking it.

• Love 1
Nope, he didn't even have a younger daughter. He didn't even have a kid nor even know if he was EVER GOING TO HAVE A DAUGHTER!!! But was trying to adopt an infant which obviously could be male or female.

I thought they said they were waiting for the surrogate to give birth and they knew the child would be a girl.  For some reason, I thought he said that.

Even so, I thought it was strange that someone would want to buy a house because of a situation that may or may not happen.  What if their daughter doesn't want to go to the prom; of what if no one asks her?  

What bothers me about HH is that when a couple looks at a home with a large back yard, the man will say, "I don't know if I want to do all that yard work," which makes sense to me.  But when a couple looks at a home with a big bathroom or kitchen, neither the husband nor the wife says, "I don't know if I want to do all that cleaning; a big bathroom/kitchen means more to clean."

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1