Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

I do agree with whoever said it that Rodgers' championship belt thing is a little self-centered and silly, considering that his throw doesn't mean jack unless there's someone on the other end. But it's hardly the worst thing about NFL games.

Also here or TwoP someone posted that Aaron Rodgers stole that championship belt move from another qb, and thus that qb from another qb. Someone please confirm this so I won't think I'm going crazy lol. 

I searched the Internet but couldn't find mention of another QB doing the move before Rodgers. And when Rodgers does it, I always interpreted it as a celebration of a team accomplishement: "We're #1! We're the champions", not necessarily "I'm the man." Because after a touchdown pass (or run), Rodgers makes a point of finding the receiver or running back to give them a big hug or a chest hump or whatever NFL players are doing these days. 

They announced on Twitter that Pats/Texans has been flexed to SNF on 12/13.

Fuck's sake. Why?

Pats going for another undefeated season.   They just happen to be playing the Texans.   Who actually have a shot at the AFC South title.

• Love 1

They announced on Twitter that Pats/Texans has been flexed to SNF on 12/13.

Fuck's sake. Why?

What match up did they replace? Why can't I ever like winning teams. My life would be so much easier if I did lol. 

I searched the Internet but couldn't find mention of another QB doing the move before Rodgers. And when Rodgers does it, I always interpreted it as a celebration of a team accomplishement: "We're #1! We're the champions", not necessarily "I'm the man." Because after a touchdown pass (or run), Rodgers makes a point of finding the receiver or running back to give them a big hug or a chest hump or whatever NFL players are doing these days. 

Thank you for looking. I'm just going to have to concede that I am in fact crazy lol. If I could only get these voices to quiet down for a minute.....

• Love 1

Regarding the Tomlin decision to take the field goal vs going for it on 4th....I thought one of the announcers, I forget who, had a good point which was perhaps the thinking behind it was that suppose they go for it on 4th down and dont make it, Ben would have to still score a touchdown to win the game. By grabbing the points, and had the defense stood up, all they'd need was another field goal to win.

Whoa....what a game by the kid in Denver. In the snow...against Brady and Belicheck. Me thinks we've seen the last of Peyton, healthy or not.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

I have no idea what to think about this Giants team.  I thought after their near-win against the Pats, they'd come out fired up and win.  After sleepwalking through the first three quarters, they suddenly wake up and score two touchdowns (with another great catch by Beckum) but it was too little, too late.  While this was NOT a good game by Eli Manning, a little too much is being made about the fact that he threw 3 TDs.  The first one was Shane Vereen taking his eyes off the ball, causing it to bobble in his hands and into the hands of a Redskin.

The second INT was caused when Harris caught the ball and got hit on the arm, causing the ball to fly into the hair and into the hands of a Redskin.  The third INT was a little more of Eli’s fault but was also caused by Randle (for the second time this season) allowing a cornerback to get in front of him and pick off the ball.

I can understand wanting to keep Ben McAdoo around because of how good Eli looks in this system but I think it’s time for a new Head Coach.  There have been WAY too many of these kind of losses in the past few years and I just don’t see that changing.  It hasn’t changed in years.  I think you can give Coughlin a job as a consultant for the team but I think the Giants needs a new coaching regime in there.

Edited by benteen

Petition to call this one The Season Of Surprises? The Broncos backup QB just beat Brady and ended the Pats' shot at an undefeated season? Did not see that one coming.

I don't think it's a surprise. The Pats are riddled with injuries on offense and defense. Even Tom Brady can't make up for that. I didn't think the Pats would go undefeated with all of the injuries.

• Love 1

Meh....thats the same type of play that knocked RGIII out, and countless others. I dont think it was intentional at all...just bad luck for Gronk.

And unfortunately I agree about the coaching change here in NY. The Giants have been downright sloppy, and at least 2-3 games this season have been lost to bad play-calling and/or clock management. Coughlin has survived several close calls of firing with turning around and winning the whole damn thing, but I just dont see it happening again.

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 1

Man, this run of injuries for the Pats is just insane. Here's hoping Gronk's injury isn't too serious. If he can't come back for the playoffs, the Pats can kiss any hope of a repeat goodbye. I'm actually kind of pleased they lost a game--I didn't want them to go undefeated, it really was a monkey on their backs in 2007--just wish it wasn't a game with such playoff implications.

Terrible officiating again tonight. Really, THIS is the best the NFL can trot out?

I think Osweiler just did to Manning what Brady did to Bledsoe.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 2

Sorry to see Gronk go down  This year continues to be a tough year for injuries, especially for starters.

I am glad that the Broncos won this game tonight against the Patriots. I thought that Brock and the team did a good job tonight. Very good win for them.

• Love 1

Man, this run of injuries for the Pats is just insane. Here's hoping Gronk's injury isn't too serious. If he can't come back for the playoffs, the Pats can kiss any hope of a repeat goodbye. I'm actually kind of pleased they lost a game--I didn't want them to go undefeated, it really was a monkey on their backs in 2007--just wish it wasn't a game with such playoff implications.

Terrible officiating again tonight. Really, THIS is the best the NFL can trot out?

I think Osweiler just did to Manning what Brady did to Bledsoe.

Well I love Manning, he is my favorite player, but Osweiler so far looks like a better fit for the offense. And he doesn't play like a 90 year old.

Questionable calls, but when they go against the Pats.....well, too bad.

Brady is the whiniest QB in the league.

ANd I hate to see any specific player get injured, but injuries happen to all teams, Pats included. Seriously, other teams have many injuries too. COlts injury list is long and its not just Andrew Luck. Many other key players out as well. ANd I think Gronk is done for the season, sounds like an ACL injury. Seriously hampers their playoff and December run. And that was not a cheap or deliberate shot on Gronk. Plays like that happen all the time in this league. A defender has little control over how high a guy will jump, if they have the ball, many factors that all come together in a split second for an injury like that to happen.

• Love 3

Patriots are missing/have missed:

WR1 - Till playoffs?

WR2

WR3

HB1 - season

FB1 - season

LT1 - season

C1

RT1

RT2

TE1

TE3

LB1

LB2

CB2 - season

CB3

And about a half dozen other reserve players and possibly some D-linemen I forgot about. It's crazy that they even have a winning record let alone a 10-1 record, and that it took that many injuries to bring the Patriots down to the point where they barely lost a road game to the #2 or #3 team in the conference. 

• Love 1

Pats should win out the rest of the season because despite their injuries, their remaining schedule is soft.

Rich that the Pats whine about calls when they are usually on the other side of favorable calls. The on field visibility looked terrible from the snow so I'm sure that played a factor for the refs missing calls. Easy to see a call when you're in the privacy of your home without a sheet of snow in your face and replay.

And Gronk gets hurt so of course it's deliberate. Considering other teams are on an overload of injuries I'm not feeling sorry for anyone. It's interesting that him and the other over-celebratory tight end, Jimmy Graham, got injured on the same day. That patellar tendon was probably weak anyways for all those end zone leaping dunks he does.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

When the Giants secondary is getting carted off the field once a game, it's hard to feel that what is happening is worse for the Pats. And in the game they played just last night, three Broncos left in three plays.

Injuries happen to everyone, and I don't have any leftover sympathy for the Pats anyways.

The game ended far too late for me to stay up and watch, I didn't make it past 11, so the loss is some nice news to wake up to.

I don't know what the Pats/Texans game replaced, but I am tired of the Pats.

• Love 7

Injuries happen to everyone, and I don't have any leftover sympathy for the Pats anyways.

There was no shortage of Patriots fans on social media last week who were proclaiming Joe Flacco's injury as karma. For what, I'm not sure. Deflategate, which the Ravens had nothing to do with? The fact that Bernard Pollard, who once played for the Ravens, has injured some Patriots players in the past? The fact that the Ravens give Brady and chums fits every time they play them?

Anyway, given that they were invoking karma and chuckling over a season-ending injury to another player, them losing Gronk and whoever else is not going to make me lose any sleep.

I'm tired of seeing Brady throw tantrums every time his team gets a penalty, or someone has the temerity to touch him. He's a 38 year old man, not a toddler. And I am very pleased that 16-0 is no longer a goal for them to aspire to. But seeing so many of them implode with rage over their first loss of the season is, frankly, hilarious.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 8

I'm tired of seeing Brady throw tantrums every time his team gets a penalty, or someone has the temerity to touch him. He's a 38 year old man, not a toddler. And I am very pleased that 16-0 is no longer a goal for them to aspire to. But seeing so many of them implode with rage over their first loss of the season is, frankly, hilarious.

Which is exactly why I hate the Patriots and Tom is referred to in my house as Tom Baby. Cam used to act that way with the towel on his head, pouting on the sidelines and even though the Panthers are my team to root for, I didn't like it on Cam either. He's grown up some in the last three years where Tom Baby is just the same big baby he's always been. 

I too could not stay up to watch the entirety of the game but went to bed thinking the Pats had another win in the bag. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they lost! 

And then there was one! Though the Panthers will probably lose to the Saints next week, just because.

It's really been a bad year for quarterbacks in general. Injuries seem to be running rampant! This year will be all about who can keep their quarterback healthy the longest! 

• Love 3

Patriots are missing/have missed:

WR1 - Till playoffs?

WR2

WR3

HB1 - season

FB1 - season

LT1 - season

C1

RT1

RT2

TE1

TE3

LB1

LB2

CB2 - season

CB3

And about a half dozen other reserve players and possibly some D-linemen I forgot about. It's crazy that they even have a winning record let alone a 10-1 record, and that it took that many injuries to bring the Patriots down to the point where they barely lost a road game to the #2 or #3 team in the conference.

Colts have lost 2 starting defensive ends for the season, including one rookie that was helping to improve the DL, rookie WR Dorsett may not return, Luck has been injured over half the season and they are playing a 40 year old back up QB, starting left tackle, starting all pro safety, #1 CB Vontae Davis was injured in the 4th quarter of the Falcons game they still managed to win, plus has missed other games, lost a RB before the season even started, multiple other lineman to the point they had a rookie 7th round pick at RT yesterday starting his first game.

Pitt has been without Roethlisberger multiple games. Flacco out for season and the Ravens are riddled with injuries more than any other team. GB lost #1 WR Jordy Nelson early or before the season. Graham lost for season in Seattle. Romo out for most of the season.

Injuries are everywhere, every team.

• Love 2

Like my mom used to say, I wish I could put my foot on a swivel and kick myself.  When the Patriots kicked the FG to go into overtime I turned the damn TV off out of disgust because I figured they'd go on and win.  Then I wake up this morning to find out Denver won.   

• Love 1

Pitt has been without Roethlisberger multiple games. Flacco out for season and the Ravens are riddled with injuries more than any other team. GB lost #1 WR Jordy Nelson early or before the season. Graham lost for season in Seattle. Romo out for most of the season.

Injuries are everywhere, every team.

Yup. The Ravens have lost their QB, their #1 WR, their 1st round draft pick and prospective #2 WR, two more WRs who started the season on the roster, their starting RB, their second choice RB, their best defensive player, a rotational CB and their starting Center. They have also been without their starting LT and LG for significant portions of the season.

That's not even counting Dennis Pitta, Matt Elam and Brent Urban, who were all out of action before the season even started. Of those, only Urban is returning this year (Pitta probably never will). And Jimmy Smith, Rick Wagner and Lardarius Webb, all of whom started the season with lingering after effects of injuries suffered last year.

You just have to suck it up and get on with it. Or, in the Ravens' case, suck and get on with it. They won't win another game this year, unless the Browns brown it up all over the place tonight.

• Love 1

It's really been a bad year for quarterbacks in general. Injuries seem to be running rampant! This year will be all about who can keep their quarterback healthy the longest!

Including Big Ben. I didn't even see the play that knocked him out of the game for a possible concussion. What happened?

Regarding the Tomlin decision to take the field goal vs going for it on 4th....I thought one of the announcers, I forget who, had a good point which was perhaps the thinking behind it was that suppose they go for it on 4th down and dont make it, Ben would have to still score a touchdown to win the game. By grabbing the points, and had the defense stood up, all they'd need was another field goal to win.

That's true--I still think they should have gone for it. But that's just the fan in me that likes to see teams do risky things.

And the Pats did the opposite thing a few seasons ago. Tom and Co. were facing 4th down and long--I can't remember if they were in a punting situation or were in field goal range.  But rather than punt (or kick the field goal), Belichick had his team go for it. It was clear that he didn't think his defense could step up if the other team had the ball. The media crucified him for the decision (because they didn't make the 1st down), but I liked their bravery. Or arrogance, whatever you want to call it. 

This. Part of it is the bat-shit craziness of the NFL rule book. For the past few seasons, "Was that a catch?" has been a decision that has decided games--and playoff runs. There has got to be a committee meeting about this issue in the off season.

In the Seahawks-Steelers game, the Seahawks defender caught an interception, maintained control of the ball while he took several football steps, then went out of bounds--and the ball didn't move. He kept control of the ball out of bounds and then fell to the ground. After he landed on the ground with the ball still in his hands and not moving, the Steelers player ripped the ball out of his hands. The officials originally ruled it an interception but then had a long conference about whether it was really an interception. WTF? Wasn't the Seahawks player down and the the play over by the time the ball was ripped from his hands? 

--But even Bill Carey, the CBS consultant/retired official, didn't think it was a clean interception. Again, WTF?

His first name is Mike, and the prevailing sentiment on Twitter is the opposite of what Carey says on air will be the call once the review is over.

I do think that having him (and Pereira on FOX) available is pretty cool. And Pereira is a great follow on Twitter, he likes to do videos that explain exactly why a call was made the way it was.

His first name is Mike, and the prevailing sentiment on Twitter is the opposite of what Carey says on air will be the call once the review is over.

I do think that having him (and Pereira on FOX) available is pretty cool.

Ha. I think I went to college with a guy named Bill Carey. 

And I agree. I like hearing their explanations, even when they're different from the official call

• Love 2

I love me some snow football but the way CJ Anderson was cutting and pounding and cutting again on what was obviously a slick, snowy, tricky surface I was SURE he was going to pop something in either knee and we'd see him go down hard with a season ending injury. When he paraded victoriously into the endzone for the OT TD after jumping, tripping, skipping over fallen bodies I was just happy he made it in one piece. Those were some darned fined magic cleats he was wearing and he should kiss his knees and thank them for their service.

I also love me some Peyton Manning so while he didn't play, and BO is the winning QB I'm going to count him happy and as part of the reason his team took out Brady and the Pats. Did they cut to him (wherever he was sitting) during the final drive or was he watching from the warmth of a secluded room somewhere?

The Giants? You knew when we got the double Thanksgiving gift of both Philly and Dallas falling and opening things up so nicely that we'd also find a way to make things harder on ourselves with a Washington loss. Those Manning boys had an interesting day.

Or, in the Ravens' case, suck and get on with it. 

Hilarious and worth a second look, though I like the team.

Jamaal went down, then CWest went down.  Yay Spencer Ware for getting a 100-yd game against that D.  A tremendous example of Next Man Up -- which may as well be the NFL 2015 slogan.

The Broncos backup QB just beat Brady and ended the Pats' shot at an undefeated season? Did not see that one coming.

Especially once Denver threw it on first and goal with over a minute left, leaving enough time on the clock for exactly what happened -- the Pats easily head down the field, kick the FG, and send it to OT.  I thought for sure that was it.  To instead see Brady on his ass?  Now that's how to wrap up Thanksgiving weekend.

If not for the Giants playing like shit, it would have been a perfect football weekend for me.

• Love 1

Oh nooooooooooooooooo.   I just saw a new Papa John's commercial.   I've accepted that Manning sold out, but now JJ Watt has.   C'mon guys, there are plenty of good business to invest your millions in other than that gross pizza.

• Love 3

News on Gronk is that it's a bruised knee, no tears, he's week-to-week. I'm really happy for him that it's not worse, given how hard he worked to get back after multiple serious injuries a few years ago.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

Oh nooooooooooooooooo.   I just saw a new Papa John's commercial.   I've accepted that Manning sold out, but now JJ Watt has.   C'mon guys, there are plenty of good business to invest your millions in other than that gross pizza.

Pretty sure JJ's had that endorsement deal for awhile.

And you know, I honestly can't blame Watt for doing all those endorsement deals. He grew up middle-class, probably not poor, but had to give up hockey because his parents couldn't afford it anymore. Not the hardest luck story around, but that's why I don't blame players for taking whatever money they can get wherever they can get it. 

• Love 1

I'm not in Texas anymore (weep, weep, weep) so if he had a local Papa John's commercial, I never saw it.    This is the first time I saw him in a national commercial.

Almost said "nationwide" that is Peyton's other schtick.  

Pretty sure JJ's had that endorsement deal for awhile.

And you know, I honestly can't blame Watt for doing all those endorsement deals. He grew up middle-class, probably not poor, but had to give up hockey because his parents couldn't afford it anymore. Not the hardest luck story around, but that's why I don't blame players for taking whatever money they can get wherever they can get it.

I give JJ Watt a free pass, what with being a great player on a *rappy team.

Especially with contracts not being guaranteed or the risk that one's career could be completely over, I think it's just a smart investment to get endorsements. I mean, the NFL doesn't care about the players anyway, so if you're getting endorsements and making a name for yourself, you'll be an attractive free agent or people will want to hire you post-playing career.

• Love 4

"Chicken parm you taste so good."

I will never not love that and I hate Manning and his over-audibling self in a game.

I can't remember ever being this disgusted with an Eagles team and I have been through some dark days with this team...Rich Kotite anyone? The race to the bottom in the NFC East is laughable. Seems like just yesterday the NFC East was always a powerhouse division.

• Love 1

The race to the bottom in the NFC East is laughable. Seems like just yesterday the NFC East was always a powerhouse division.

The league wants parity, and they've got it.  Last year the laughingstock was the NFC South.  Huge discussion about whether a sub-.500 division winner ought to get home field advantage over a wild card with a better record.  Before that it was the NFC West.  It does seem likely that the NFC East winner will struggle to get to .500, if they get there at all, and the AFC South not much better.  Damn Giants could easily have been at least 8-3 with any decent end of game management.  Or some defense.

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 1

Tonight's pre-game was pretty funny. You could tell the guys in the studio DNGAF about the matchup, Turico, a consummate professional, couldn't come up with a compelling hook for the game and Gruden spent a segment breaking down film on Manziel, who won't see the field.

• Love 1