Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

The other 31 GMs are all crushed. They were hoping to finagle a couple more trades outta the guy.

I can't believe he beat Gase out the door, though.

Maybe the Jets will hire him to replace Gase.

Co-sign. The Pats' uniforms are so ugly. I get that they used Brady's departure as an opportunity to rebrand, but couldn't they have rebranded with something that actually looked good?

TERRIBLE early whistle. That probably cost the Pats a TD.

Edited by stealinghome

New England could've gone back to their 1996 Package for a uniform change.  I guess I understand why not, but I think those weren't too bad, and beat these awful ones.

Speaking of awful, it is just that for New England as they've left points and opportunities on the board, but to be fair, so has Kansas City (despite getting to 20+ yet again)

1 hour ago, Carey said:

Speaking of awful, it is just that for New England as they've left points and opportunities on the board, but to be fair, so has Kansas City (despite getting to 20+ yet again)

Remember when Bellichek tried to convince us that Cam was going to have to "win" the QB1 job?

tenor.gif

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, Carey said:

How long is Dan Quinn under contact with Atlanta?

Through the end of the 2022 season. But I would've bet money he'd be the first fired this season. 

So now the second coach to be fired is between him and weasel face. 

• Love 2

I think Dan is safe for a week.  Or not, but they have a short week.  That, and the teams that defeated Atlanta are a combined 12-4, including two undefeated teams.

Speaking of undefeated teams, it is literally possible that the NFL can have four 17-0 teams by January 24, 2021, which would guarantee the league's second perfect champion. I think that is definitely not happening, but there's a chance!

The only way it can happen is if Green Bay, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Seattle all win out. BTW, that would suck for the Steelers in terms of seeding; they play the entire NFC East. Seattle might be in trouble too, as they also have the NFC East on their schedule

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm sort of torn about this.  My state has a mask mandate but they do make exceptions for on air personalities.  And wearing a mask while talking as much as they talk is pretty hard. 

But they appear pretty ill prepared.  Having a good fitting mask can make it much easier so they should get on that.

I have done two full blown trials with masks on the entire time.   Opening, closing, direct and cross -- plus conferences with my client during breaks.   For a lot longer than a 3 hour game.   I was just fine.   You can talk with a mask on  and have it stay in plce.    Your last sentence is key.   I noticed Michelle Tafoya's mask especially.    It was puffed out at the sides rather than fitting.   If you have one that conforms to the face rather than just sitting on your nose and chin, it moves better and stays in place.    Look they knew the rule going into the game.   Deal with it.

I think the Chiefs/Pats game was off because of all the uncertainty of whether it would even be played.   Everyone was distracted wondering if there would be more positives.   It showed early in the game.    Bill Belichek's plug and play system really fell apart without Cam.   Even Mahomes took a bit to be Mahomes.   But then they got it together and booom, KC all.the.way.

• Love 5

I watched the Cleveland/Dallas game yesterday. Some thoughts afterwards:

• Cleveland uniforms looked like footie pajamas. The players also reminded me of woolly bear caterpillars.
  • A Cleveland fan put on a Cleveland helmet, then I realized it was a pumpkin head!
  • One of the announcers said "Stefanik" instead of "Stefanski." Get the name right!

I was glad to see the Browns get another win!

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

COVID is not going away, boys.  Might want to make a plan.

I find that the wisest course of action when someone on a team has contracted a highly contagious disease with asymptotic spreading is to pack the rest of the team into an airplane for three hours and the immediately expose them to the leagues best, most critical player. 

(Pats DB Stephone Gilmore now has Covid as well.  If you search you can see a pic of him giving Mahomes a postgame hug from Monday)

• LOL 3

I think what's even more concerning is the fact that two more Titans have tested positive after two days of negative tests and almost two weeks after the first positive test. 

So is this still spread from that in which case the current protocol of two days of negative testing is in jeopardy.  Given he was on the plane with 20 others, they should shut the Patriots down for at least a week.

Edited by Irlandesa

They should shut down the Chiefs too, for that matter, since they played the Pats and one of their Practice Squad guys had it. If, you know, the league cared about player safety at all.

It's going to end up that not all teams are going to play 16 games. That should've been a detail baked into this season's preparations. Whatever they decide now is going to look foolish.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think what's even more concerning is the fact that two more Titans have tested positive after two days of negative tests and almost two weeks after the first positive test. 

So is this still spread from that in which case the current protocol of two days of negative testing is in jeopardy.  Given he was on the plane with 20 others, they should shut the Patriots down for at least a week.

I was just about to post what Wildcard did. Knowing team facilities were shut down BECAUSE OF A POSITIVE COVID TEST they just got together to practice on their own.  They should forfeit the season on account of stupidity.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Wildcard said:

Titans players may have broke protocol.

If this is found to be true, I'm thinking suspensions and loss of draft picks.

I'm thinking not.  Some fans in Western Pennsylvania would agree, but mainly because the Steelers were victims.

But man, how dumb if that is the case.  What's not mentioned much if at all is that the Titans are undefeated, so I can't imagine the carelessness with Tennessee.

Either way, no suspensions or loss of draft picks, I don't think. Definitely no forfeit, but it's possible.  I'd say no because the meeting that warned the NFL teams of massive discipline occurred on Monday, after all the positive tests happened

• Love 1
3 hours ago, scriggle said:

The Pats-Chiefs game should've been postponed. Two days of negative tests means nothing. 

I agree. First, for the health of the players. Second, so we could've been spared a dumpster fire like Hoyer attempting to play pro football. Mahomes vs. Newton was the money matchup.

6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

(Pats DB Stephone Gilmore now has Covid as well.  If you search you can see a pic of him giving Mahomes a postgame hug from Monday)

I still can't believe they do the postgame hugs and handshakes. It worked in the NBA because of the bubble, but now what was looking like a small trickle could be a severe crack and the dam could burst.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Pats DB Stephone Gilmore now has Covid as well.  If you search you can see a pic of him giving Mahomes a postgame hug from Monday

I heard a doctor on the radio today talking about the post game hug. His take: If a quick hug after the game could spread COVID-19, the NFL should immediately cancel the entire season. 

His point was that the evidence they have indicates very strongly that the amount of viral load needed to get somebody sick could never be transmitted by a quick hug.

46 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The Governor of Florida just gave the Dolphins authority to play before a full 65,000 seat stadium, but the team has decided to stick with 13,000 fans.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/10/07/dolphins-keep-capacity-home-games-ron-desantis-decision

Good for him.  I think, at least in the short-run, people would've used common sense; you'll get careless people, but 65,000 would include careful people that get unlucky which in turn may lead to other unfortunate situations for people that had nothing to do with attending a game full of 65,000 fans.

AimingforYoko, it sure is self-control.  Though I don't think it takes much to emulate common sense by sticking with 20%.  Probably more in the lines of the Dolphins not having a choice.  I don't think they plan on taking an "L" unless someone beats them on the field

2 hours ago, Wildcard said:

Titans players may have broke protocol.

If this is found to be true, I'm thinking suspensions and loss of draft picks.

They may have to forfeit a game unless the season expands.  But I think the league should think long and hard about how punitive they want to be in this situation.

I'm not saying they weren't stupid but the players are under the pressure to stay in shape and perform but can't go in to the facility to stay in shape.  It doesn't sound as if there was much guidance about how to do that.

There might be more value in making them participate in an investigation of where they might have gotten lax to use as an example for the rest of the league. 

I'm not saying that no punishment is necessary but I don't think punishment should be the focus.

31 minutes ago, Popples said:

I still can't believe they do the postgame hugs and handshakes. It worked in the NBA because of the bubble, but now what was looking like a small trickle could be a severe crack and the dam could burst.

Has there been any indication of one team passing it onto another team yet? 

I do wonder if they should thrown on masks for the get together in the middle of the field.

• Love 1

The NFL originally prohibited post-game meetings, I believe.  Since there was contact made with today's biggest star, I wouldn't be surprised if a change was made there.  Not sure masks are the way. 

As mentioned, if they can't meet postgame, then they shouldn't be playing football this year

• Useful 1

The NFL specifically prohibited post game meet ups.   Mahomes admitted he forgot in the moment.   He knew, he forgot.

NO sympathy for the Titans players.   They were told NO workouts with other players at the same time they were notified of the closing of the facility due to Covid.   They knew WHY the facility was closed and they knew WHAT they were prohibited from doing.   They managed to stay in shape all off season with no off season program, they could have managed a week.    This was LITERALLY the day after the closure.   They knew better.   They chose not to follow the rules.  

• Love 10

But a team will get a positive test, isolate the player and then they'll throw the rest of a team on a plane to go play football. The messaging is a little muddled.

But what I would like to know if they had the spread because of outside workouts or if there were other gatherings. 

And if they outright cancel the game, it's not just the Titans that will lost out but the Bills as well who won't get paid either.

Edited by Irlandesa

That was a weird possession. Tampa played their first down four times before going to their second down. I hope Bucs and Bears have this many penalties when Vikings play them.

HAHAHAHA!  Tom Brady not knowing what down it is gets my NFL week off to a good start.  Thank you, Bears; shitty clock management on your final offensive drive, but it came out as nature intended.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

HAHAHAHA!  Tom Brady not knowing what down it is gets my NFL week off to a good start.  Thank you, Bears; shitty clock management on your final offensive drive, but it came out as nature intended.

I came to post something similar!

laughter.gif

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I am so confused about the football schedule.  But it feels like if I turn on my TV for the next four days, a football game will be on there.

Not tomorrow or Saturday but Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

I won't lie, I don't entirely hate it.  I don't think the networks do either since they don't have a ton of new content.

• Love 2

5 p.m. Mondday night game means the West coast numbers will be down.   Although with all the WFH maybe not.  

You would think they could find a game to put into the Thursday night slot.   Not that the Titans are playing any time soon.   TWO new players tested positive yesterday.   They have to have 2 days of no new cases before they can open up.   They've managed one day since the outbreak began.   Including a player who allegedly did NOT participate in the unauthorized workout(s).

Where are my false teeth?  What down is it?  It's past my bedtime! Why can't the refs help me out like when I was on the Pats!   Don't they know how to cheat correctly in tampa!

Headed to a .500 record at six weeks if they can't beat the Packers.  

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1