Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

What an exciting finish to the Green Bay/Arizona game. This game was very entertaining. Aaron Rodgers showed why he is one of the best players in the league with the skill he displayed on the Hail Mary pass to get to OT. And then Larry and the Cardinals came back with a great finish. I really like Bruce Arians and am very happy for him. I want to see Carolina win the Superbowl, but if they don't I would be fine with the Cardinals winning it.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Green Bay's D must have been hung over from the excitement of the Hail Mary because otherwise what the shit was with that defense? Let's see...if we're going to leave a receiver WIDE OPEN, why not the best one on the field?

I surprised myself with my disappointment in the outcome because I thought I didn't care either way, I like them both. Ahh well, I'm still ok with all NFC teams left.

• Love 1

Maybe Rodgers sold his soul to the devil as well- two hail Mary's in the same season?

This is actually a discussion I had with a friend after that catch.   Then when Fitzgerald scored in OT to win the game, I said "Guess the devil double-crossed him."   Really, do you expect the devil to keep a deal?

• Love 2

While I'm still pulling for Seattle in a huge way, it's nice to know I can actively root for whatever NFC team makes it to the Super Bowl now that Green Bay is out.  I don't care about Carolina one way or the other, so I guess if they win out and wind up against Denver in the Super Bowl I may have to get over my Elway hatred to pull for a nice swan song for Peyton Manning.  But, otherwise, NFC all the way.

Edited by Bastet

170 yards receiving in a playoff game. You carried your team to the win. What a great call on the shovel pass for the TD. That said, don't give up a 4th and 20, and a hail mary. That's not a superbowl team. 

I can't say one team played better than the other. Had GB won the toss I think they would have won the game. It was an exciting game. But it wasn't a technically good football game.

• Love 1

This is actually a discussion I had with a friend after that catch. Then when Fitzgerald scored in OT to win the game, I said "Guess the devil double-crossed him." Really, do you expect the devil to keep a deal?

Which is why when this whole discussion started with the Pats selling their souls to the devil, I thought to myself they ARE the devil. They seem to be on the better end of all kinds of crazy, ridiculous calls/plays.

Ill root for whichever NFC team makes it to the SB....with the exception if its a rematch with Seattle vs Denver....I think I might have to root for Peyton there...but any other matchup im going NFC.

Edited by FuriousStyles

Packers won a Super Bowl five years ago, so no.

Seriously. Tired of the woe is me Packers fan. Try being a Bengals fan, a Lions fan, or a damn Bills fan who hasn't seen the playoffs in forever. I'm not feeling sorry for a team who has recently won the Super Bowl.

I hope the Cards play cleaner next week against the Panthers/Seahawks. Their clock management was terrible, the defense face everything away at the end, and Palmer made some dumb passes.

I couldn't even stomach the last quarter of the Pats game- I knew that Andy would poorly manage the game and was sick of seeing those smug ass bitches gloating. Too bad they should easily beat the Broncos/Steelers and go to another SB.

• Love 3

I couldn't even stomach the last quarter of the Pats game- I knew that Andy would poorly manage the game and was sick of seeing those smug ass bitches gloating. Too bad No way they would easily beat the Broncos/Steelers and go to another SB.

Fixed that for ya. Hee

But yeah, I agree. Andy Reid's clock management was BS, and in this game, NE was lucky to win. These assholes are gonna gloat and preen like they are used to, since you know, they are the NE Patriots.

• Love 2

As a Packers fan, I'm not disappointed... I mean, I didn't expect the Packers to get this far relying on inexperienced WRs.

I expected the Packers to fall flat ....at least they lost fighting hard.

Now I'm rooting for Carolina.

I like both teams (Larry Fitzgerald deserves to at least go to the Super Bowl once in his career) but no matter who wins, unless they play MILES better next week, they will get blown out by the Carolina/Seattle winner. I do think the Cards probably have a better chance against the other NFC team...IF they play to their capabilities.

Sigh. Why does the AFC always suffer a collective collapse in form/morale/health just in time for the Patriots to skip their way through the playoffs with ease? 

Three weeks ago, they would have been sorely tested by a handful of teams, but then the Steelers lose half their offense, the Chiefs lose Maclin and Andy Reid does Andy Reid things, The Bengals lose Dalton just when they really need him. I'm sure that if the Broncos beat the Steelers, they'll lose Von Miller and Aqib Talib to some ridiculous injuries.

I'm still annoyed that two of the Patriots' last three Super Bowl appearances are on the back of games they should have lost against the Ravens. Seems like the league needs the Ravens to be good again in 2016, because they're the only team that reliably plays the Patriots tough enough to bother them.

I cannot abide the Seahawks, but I'd still rather see them win and see Pete Carroll strut around like he's king of the world than see Brady and Belichick do it again. I so hope the Cardinals can get there, and get rings for Palmer and Fitzgerald. And I wouldn't mind Cam Newton getting one, then rubbing it in the faces of the hand-wringing, 'won't someone think of the children!' brigade.

• Love 8

I have no problem with the coinflip to start games and/or OT. Defense is just as important as offense. If your defense cant stop a touchdown then you probably dont deserve to win. There is a WHOLE lot of leeway there, because they can allow a field goal just not a TD.

If they do change the rules I hope they go the way of the XFL and have 1 player from each team just scramble 40 yards for first possesion of the ball.

• Love 3

Everyone gets terrified or tries to outcoach Belichick and they always end up losing.  The game wasn't even as close as the score indicated.  The Pats looked damn good defeating the Chiefs and wouldn't be surprised if they go all the way again.

Last night was Exhibit A on why Andy Reid is not a great coach.  A very good coach and one who is great in the six days leading up to the game.  But after 18 years in the NFL, he should be able to manage a clock.  Bill Simmons once joked on his old ESPN column that Andy must get nervous when the waitress asks him if he needs more time with his order.  Add to that that Alex Smith can barely throw the ball downfield and that explains that.

Amazing end to the Packers game.  Rodgers has easily the strongest arm in the league.  Though of course, another Packers playoff loss ends with him bitching about something.  Fitzgerald's run was incredible but I don't have a lot of confidence in Arizona heading into next week.

• Love 3

Never expected Cardinals-Packers to be so close. Have to hand it to Green Bay, they really gave it all they had.

Arizona tried to give it away. I don't understand at all the pass on second down with 230 left. Actually, I do. Arians being aggressive and trying to end the game. A TD and game over. If they just play for the FG, GB still has a chance. Still, it's too aggressive and should have just taken the time off the clock. Almost cost them the game.

Cannot believe Rodgers completed those two passes. 4th and 20 was about as impressive as the Hail Mary. Any QB is lucky to complete on of those Hail Mary's in their career. Rodgers did it twice, in about a month. And the one last night, going to his left, pressure on him, perfect throw, amazing catch. Could not believe it.

It's one of those games where if you made it all up, no one would believe it could happen. A coin flip where it doesn't flip? Has that EVER happened? I couldn't do that with a coin if I tried. for all the faults of the NFL, this is the type of game that reminds me why I still watch. That drama is hard to beat.

I don't mind the NFL overtime rules and hate the college rules. I always liked the NFL Europe rule though and I wonder why they never just adopted it. It was each team gets one possession in OT, if teams are still tied after those possessions, it's sudden death. It's much simpler that way, not much different than what they have now. But I don't mind the current rules much. GB gave up a 75 yard pass play on the first play of OT. Hard to have much sympathy for them in the loss.

Also this is why QB records are a ridiculous standard as the primary way to judge them in the playoffs : I am not a Green Bay fan, but Aaron Rodgers with those two plays at the end, freakin' awesome. WHat more can a QB do? Yet he is 7-6 in the postseason, right around .500. Does that mean he is a bad playoff QB? Last year his team had a double digit lead in the final two minutes, Seattle gets two scores thanks to an onside kick and they lose. Arizona and GB in 2009, GB scored 45 points in a playoff LOSS to Arizona.

teams win games, in the playoffs especially. Not QBs themselves.

As to the other game, I just don't understand the KC game plan. No pressure in Brady, they seemed to just drop a whole bunch of guys into coverage and play zone, Brady picked them apart. that's why they lost. The clock management at the end was poor but the game was over by then. Also poor red zone efficiency by KC. You can't beat NE with FGs.

Danny Franks, I love your entire post.  Anyone but the Pats at this point.

My dad played college ball with Ted Marchibroda so it's a sad day.  :(

Marchidbroda was a great coach. He had the only success for the Indianapolis Colts in the preManning days, a playoff run exactly 20 years ago this month. A dropped Hail Mary in the end zone away from the SB for the Colts. The ball was on his stomach, just had to grab it.......still sad to think about.

And then of course the Colts got rid of him, inexplicably. For a second time.

NE didn't get lucky. They were the better team and won the game. KC didn't score a touchdown until the third quarter. Smith needs to complete a lot more passes. The Pats got a key TD on a fumble and essentially put the game away. I know the Pats aren't faves but still.

If we're talking about luck the Seahawks got lucky.

• Love 4

Cannot believe Rodgers completed those two passes. 4th and 20 was about as impressive as the Hail Mary. Any QB is lucky to complete on of those Hail Mary's in their career. Rodgers did it twice, in about a month. And the one last night, going to his left, pressure on him, perfect throw, amazing catch. Could not believe it. 

As a fan of a different team in the NFC North, I could not only believe it, sadly, I almost expected it.

NE didn't get lucky. They were the better team and won the game. KC didn't score a touchdown until the third quarter. Smith needs to complete a lot more passes. The Pats got a key TD on a fumble and essentially put the game away. I know the Pats aren't faves but still.

If we're talking about luck the Seahawks got lucky.

KC dropped a few easy INTs, but that happens in all games.

I think Brady and the Pats have had their fair share of lucky breaks over the years, but this game was not one of them. They pretty well controlled the game throughout.

• Love 1

LIfelong Packers fan here.  Diappointed but I didn't expect them to win this game, especially once Cobb went out.  Congratulations, Arizona, but they've got to be worried about their defense.  Aaron Rodgers is the best (IMO) in the league and showed it again yesterday, but good golly, he was doing it with the Pack's 5th and 6th WRs on the depth chart and really mediocre TEs.  In August, Packers had Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams, and Ty Montgomery one through four on the depth chart and none of them played in this game except Cobb for a portion of the first quarter. I was on a Packers blog during the game and we were all debating which DB would have to go in at WR if anyone else got hurt. So in those circumstances, it was incredible that the Packers had a chance to win the game.  Rodgers is simply amazing, and Packer fans always will be appreciative of all those teams that passed him up in the draft. 

Also thinking about the Packers gut wrenching OT loss at Arizona in playoffs following 2009 season.  That's when the officials missed an obvious blow to the head/face mask call on the fumble returned for the game winning TD in overtime.  So the officials have always missed calls, will always miss calls. and it seems inevitable that later we will be discussing some missed or screwed up call in today's games..  But this Packers fan is focusing on the fact that the year following the previous OT loss in Arizona the Packers won it all.  So go Pack go! 

At this rate the Panthers are gonna run out of footballs to give away.

I'd say im sad about another unexciting game...but im actually loving the blowout. And Seattle is one of those teams that usually have crazy things go in their favor so who knows.

Worst game of Russell Wilson's career or worst game of Russell Wilson's career?

I guess God really didn't want the Seahawks to win today. (no dog in this fight but really, how can you resist?)

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

Joe Buck should stop telling viewers that the game is still competitive after a team jumps out to a big lead. Because it's bad luck for the trailing team. 

A couple of weeks ago he did it and the trailing team promptly gave up a pick six. This week he did it again and Wilson throws an interception on the next play.

The Panthers O line and D line are simply manhandling the Seahawks.

• Love 1

Well.  Welcome to the game, Seattle.  TD on offense and sack on defense.

Obviously I'd love an epic comeback here, but after that embarrassing first half I'll be happy with a respectable loss.

Heh; so, of course, Wilson promptly over throws, costing them an easy TD.

Edited by Bastet

The devil used up all his tricks yesterday in the Packers-Cardinals game. Nothing left for Carroll to call on.

Carroll will sacrifice a litter of puppies and a child in the stands if it means they can come back and win this game.

• Love 3
Obviously I'd love an epic comeback here, but after that embarrassing first half I'll be happy with a respectable loss.

Quoting myself to say "happy" was a stretch, but I feel a lot better at the end of this game than I did at the end of the second half.  Damn, though.  I knew when that long Seattle drive ended in a punt, they weren't going to have time for that epic comeback victory.  If they'd recovered that onside kick to get themselves another drive, though?  Twenty four unanswered points ... I think they'd have done it.  Great play in the second half, just too big a hole to overcome.

• Love 1

From Football Zebras:

Penalties, 7. Seahawks 3/20 (+1 declined), Panthers 3/25

Replays, 2. Seahawks 1 reversal, Panthers 1 stands

It's amazing how easily a clean game flows.   A real contrast to the regular season when you saw more yellow than red zone sometimes.

• Love 1

I know Carolina's not happy with being shut out in the 2nd half, but the beatdown they put on Seattle in the 1st  half was awesome.  I know Seattle was confident that they'd come back, but I'm glad they fell just short enough to drive themselves crazy with the "what ifs."  Made my day. 

• Love 2

From Football Zebras:

Penalties, 7. Seahawks 3/20 (+1 declined), Panthers 3/25

Replays, 2. Seahawks 1 reversal, Panthers 1 stands

It's amazing how easily a clean game flows.   A real contrast to the regular season when you saw more yellow than red zone sometimes.

As much as I griped about the messed up coin toss last night, the officiating this weekend has been soooo much better to watch than either the regular season or last weekend, when the Pitt/Cincy refs completely lost control of the game. This is what NFL officiating should generally look like. (Also, this is what NFL games should look like, Pitt and Cincy.)

• Love 3

Tough Broncos crowd- already booing when it was just the second quarter. Full of class. I was laughing my ass off at the Seahawks the first half, but knew that they would come back. Craziness.

Edited by twoods