Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E29: Episode 29

• Start Topic

Meg?? If Johnny Mac goes back in the game he's going to target freaking MEG?? I hope he was just joking and being dumb, because I really wanted him to get back in the house, and now I want anyone but him. MEG???

There's a lot of endurance comps these season, but I don't care because those are way more interesting to me than question comps, so I'll allow it, because I only care about my entertainment.

Not shocked that Steve, Julie and Meg are already out. A bit surprised to see James struggling a bit. Go Jury! Any jury, really. Except possibly Johnny Mac, because seriously, MEG?????

• Love 12

I really hated the way Vanessa spoke to Steve after the Veto ceremony. 

Johnny Mac's interview with Julie was hilarious, only because of the way she kept trying not to laugh when he would break out with that weird little chuckle/giggle thing. But MEG?! Please. What a stupid answer.

• Love 6

I don't want John to get back in either, stupid to go after Meg, how about the three person alliance who just arranged to have your ass removed.  I don't find him funny either, he opens his mouth and Scooby Doo falls out..

Hope Vanessa doesn't win, another one I can't stand, sick of stupid tears, and her being offended every time she finds out people don't want to hand her the big prize. 

• Love 8

Good God, Johnny Mac is stupid. He just got played by the power alliance of Austin and the twins and if he gets back in he says he'll go after Meg, because until she and James are separated everyone is going to align with them. Say what?? Everyone is trying to align with Austin and the twins, not James and Meg. Why does this happen every season? There's always some power alliance that's plain to see and instead of trying to break them up everyone tries to align with them. I'm so tired of it,  and I'm quickly growing tired of this show because of it.

I hope Shelli doesn't get back either, that's just one more number for Austin, the twins and Vanessa. If something doesn't shake up this inevitable march to the final three for Austin and the twins I'm probably going to take a break from this show until the finale. I've already lost interest in following the live feeds discussion, it's all so predictable and frustrating.

• Love 6
Everyone is trying to align with Austin and the twins, not James and Meg. Why does this happen every season? There's always some power alliance that's plain to see and instead of trying to break them up everyone tries to align with them. I'm so tired of it,  and I'm quickly growing tired of this show because of it.

Very much this!

• Love 2

I freaking HATE Vanessa.  Why won't someone knock her crying beanie covered ass out of the house?!  She verbally attacks poor Steve to the point where he is about to hyperventilate, she ends up crying in every damn conversation she has and I am sick to death of her kissing Austin and the Austwins asses!  I kind of understand from a gameplay standpoint the logic of keeping her dumb ass as a target in front of everyone else, but I don't think I would be able to tolerate her being there with me because her personality is just so damn toxic!

I was really stuck with who to root for getting knocked out tonight.  I like both Steve and Johnny Mac.  I really liked Steve's speech, though.  I am happy the shy little nerd is having the best summer of his life.  Even if he gets evicted, he is going to be happy to have had these experiences.  It makes me think he is a genuinely nice guy.  As much as I despise Vanessa, I like that Steve can admire her game play (bitch is STILL there and should have been gone weeks ago!), even when it screws him. 

• Love 5

I kind of don't get why people are so mad at Johnny for what he said. It's the least surprising thing ever. What is he supposed to do at this point? Everyone says they're going to target Vanessa and they never actually do it. Even if they do, the house cowers under the tears of Beanie woman and it screws you over in the end. So, what's the point. The twins and Austin wont help Johnny get her out no matter what they say. Those four are in control and targeting them right now will get you sent right back out the door.

Shit, at this point you might as well take Vanessa to the finals with you. You will have a house full of people tired of Vanessa's bullshit come voting. All you have to do is not be a complete asshole.

• Love 1

James seems like a good guy but I hate pranksters, especially people who think scaring other people is funny. Just a huge pet peeve of mine.

I loved Steve's speech. I have a soft spot for the kid and I'd love to see him pull off a surprise win.

• Love 5

James seems like a good guy but I hate pranksters, especially people who think scaring other people is funny. Just a huge pet peeve of mine.

Boredom makes you loopy.

At the very least, I do have to give James credit on one point - he channels his boredom into activities which aren't self-destructive, and are frequently entertaining.  God knows Vanessa could take a page from James' book on this subject.

• Love 7

I think I know why James is always scaring Julia. I love how she runs right out of her bedroom every time... she's right, that room is haunted... by James!

But yes were it me (as I freak the hell out when people scare me) in the house I would not find it so funny. Makes good teevee though.

• Love 2

Boredom makes you loopy.

At the very least, I do have to give James credit on one point - he channels his boredom into activities which aren't self-destructive, and are frequently entertaining. God knows Vanessa could take a page from James' book on this subject.

He must live a life of boredom then because his friends said he does that shit all the time.

• Love 1

Personally, I definitely wouldn't retaliate if it were me. I hate pranks, and retaliation starts a prank war, with pranks that get progressively worse. I'd rather just let him do his thing and not get him into revenge mode lol.

• Love 3

I don't know what's more annoying:

A. Vanessa running around to every HG all day and night, needing to know every damn detail of everyone's game because she is under the impression that she is running the entire house and every single move must be made known to her, or

B. The fact that all the HG's are letting her do it.

I want Becky back in the house so bad because she is the only one who stood up to Vanessa, told her to shut her yap and get out of her HOH room. 

• Love 6

I am just so sick of Vanessa, her crying then bullying, then crying, then bullying...she knows she can bully Steve. She knows that she intimidates Steve.  I would love to see her talk to Austin the way she does to Steve.  But who knows, the way they all kiss her ass, hard to say how he would react.  She is close to whoever is in power and I am surprised they have not seen that yet.  If James or Meg (lol) were to get HOH, she would go running and crying to them, saying she's always been on their side. 

I freaking HATE Vanessa.  Why won't someone knock her crying beanie covered ass out of the house?!  She verbally attacks poor Steve to the point where he is about to hyperventilate, she ends up crying in every damn conversation she has and I am sick to death of her kissing Austin and the Austwins asses!  I kind of understand from a gameplay standpoint the logic of keeping her dumb ass as a target in front of everyone else, but I don't think I would be able to tolerate her being there with me because her personality is just so damn toxic!

There's going to come a point, and it is getting darn close to it, where she's been left as a "target" for so long, she will win the darn game.  Then you will get the jury house saying 'Wow! She played an impressive game, she deserves the win!".  The only hands she played was crying and bullying.  She truly disgusts me.

You would think by now that Julia would be expecting James to be jumping out of closets or from underneath beds.  I think she enjoys reacting as much as he enjoys scaring her, that's why he does it, because of her screaming and running away when he does do it.  I am not a fan of the twins, I think she likes the attention it puts on her.

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 3

I don't know if Johnny Mac was just super nervous or if he was playing up his persona for the camera, but that interview was hilarious. Julie couldn't even get her questions out she was laughing so hard.

Remember when Vanessa couldn't believe John called her a bully? He should show her the footage of her and Steve from this episode. Ugh. She's the worst.

Although I don't know if you really want to take Vanessa to the end with you. Yes, people don't like her, but she's also one of the few people who have been actively playing the game the whole time (admittedly playing it a bit too hard, but still). I think she'd win out over anybody else.

As soon as Meg cast her vote to evict Johnny, I knew we'd have another unanimous vote. I really was hoping it would be 3-2 to get rid of John with Meg and James voting to keep him, but I also get that he's a more dangerous player than Steve, really. Still, ENOUGH WITH THE UNANIMOUS VOTES! They just make eviction night so boring. If I had the time and patience, I would love to go back through the last couple seasons to see where this started. Because this season and last season I feel like 90% of the evictions were unanimous or mostly unanimous. Everyone is so afraid that they vote with the house so they don't stand out. It's so lame. Remember when the house would be split and it was actually suspenseful to see who people would vote for? God, remember when there were ties? And the HoH had to stand up in front of everyone to cast the final vote right to their face? Good times. These sheep are ruining this show.

• Love 6

Seems like it's got to be time to put up the Austwins, no? With three people, you could get one of them out for sure, regardless of the Veto! I mean, if anyone was willing to "get blood on their hands," and not wait for "the house" to do it.

• Love 2

As soon as Meg cast her vote to evict Johnny, I knew we'd have another unanimous vote. I really was hoping it would be 3-2 to get rid of John with Meg and James voting to keep him, but I also get that he's a more dangerous player than Steve, really. Still, ENOUGH WITH THE UNANIMOUS VOTES! They just make eviction night so boring. If I had the time and patience, I would love to go back through the last couple seasons to see where this started. Because this season and last season I feel like 90% of the evictions were unanimous or mostly unanimous. Everyone is so afraid that they vote with the house so they don't stand out. It's so lame. Remember when the house would be split and it was actually suspenseful to see who people would vote for? God, remember when there were ties? And the HoH had to stand up in front of everyone to cast the final vote right to their face? Good times. These sheep are ruining this show.

Princess Glammy  did a recent blog post (which I can't find at the moment to directly link up) where she put the unanimous votes blame right on BB15's Helen.  Apparently Helen insisted on the houseguests going out with "dignity" and knowing that they were going out in advance or some such nonsense. Additionally, that season also made it habit that the HOH's wishes were fulfilled.  So if the HOH wanted person A out, then person A went out.  

In Jason Roy's post eviction interview with Reality Recaps, he mentioned that he'd studied the early Big Brothers (Seasons 1-10 or something), but when he got into the house they were all playing Big Brother 12-16.  Which was entirely different gameplay and he was lost in it, even though he was a superfan.  He seems to regret not doing more to feed the dissension among the voting houseguests (BB16's Christine says similar things) but both were caught up in the newbie/recruits gameplay which was largely based more recent BB seasons where they voted unanimously and as per the HOH's wishes.  Earlier seasons had people voting along alliances or what was best for themselves.  Recent seasons had them doing what the HOH wanted them to do so that they wouldn't be targeted by the HOH later on or in veto renoms.  

Frankly, I think that the Battle of the Block is part of the problem.  It led to throwing of comps, which led to people pleasing. 

• Love 11

Those four are in control and targeting them right now will get you sent right back out the door.

Which is the real reason why John would go after Meg. If he can be a non-threat until he wins a comp or two at the right time, he can take Vanessa's place.

CBS needs to invest in 3 doors for the evicted hamster to leave through. I hate the way this group thinks they've scooped the show on listening to the applause and cheers an evictee receives. Last night, however, I loved it because they were simply STUNNED at the amount of welcome the audience gave John. Are they under some sort of delusion that the Austwins and the Mad Hatter are the most popular???

• Love 3

"Up until just moments before the live broadcast the houseguests were undecided on who to vote out"

Don't insult my intelligence Chen...

Well, to be fair, it's actually sort of true. Vanessa was a swing vote, and wouldn't have done it, but there was a last ditch effort/plan that got Meg and James thinking they should keep John and vote out Steve. I will say that this, along with Shelli/Vanessa, was probably the most debated up-in-the air vote this season so far.

• Love 4

No I think the honey was awful. Dribbling sticky syrup on someone's MOUTH? Ugh that is so gross.

And why aren't any of these fools retaliating?

James' pranks are usually harmless, but not this one.  If Steve had startled awake, he could have easily aspirated.  Our lungs are not meant to be coated in honey.

I am just so sick of Vanessa, her crying then bullying, then crying, then bullying...she knows she can bully Steve. She knows that she intimidates Steve.  I would love to see her talk to Austin the way she does to Steve.  But who knows, the way they all kiss her ass, hard to say how he would react. 

She kind of did talk to Austin that way.  Remember when she told him he may be backdoored?  He tore off his glasses and whimpered.  He's very intimidated by her.  James is pretty much the only one she doesn't rattle.

• Love 2

I don't know if Johnny Mac was just super nervous or if he was playing up his persona for the camera, but that interview was hilarious. Julie couldn't even get her questions out she was laughing so hard.

Remember when Vanessa couldn't believe John called her a bully? He should show her the footage of her and Steve from this episode. Ugh. She's the worst.

Although I don't know if you really want to take Vanessa to the end with you. Yes, people don't like her, but she's also one of the few people who have been actively playing the game the whole time (admittedly playing it a bit too hard, but still). I think she'd win out over anybody else.

Totally agree with the UNANIMOUS votes. And they are ruining this show. This is the first season that I am not actually watching the episodes but instead am reading what you guys all say which I enjoy. However, I looked at this episode to my dismay. Why can't they vote the way they want and then lie about it. Pretend you voted with the house. Shake up shit a little. And I seriously don't get how Johnny is a fan favorite. He seems nuts to me.

• Love 2

Totally agree with the UNANIMOUS votes. And they are ruining this show. This is the first season that I am not actually watching the episodes but instead am reading what you guys all say which I enjoy. However, I looked at this episode to my dismay. Why can't they vote the way they want and then lie about it. Pretend you voted with the house. Shake up shit a little. And I seriously don't get how Johnny is a fan favorite. He seems nuts to me.

This is why I loved pre-crazy Audrey and pre-Liz Austin.  They were throwing the hinky votes left and right. Audrey especially.  It caused the houseguests to wonder who the eff was not "with" them.  It also in a weird way pushed some of the other houseguests to at least think that they owned their own votes.  Sadly Audrey went out and Austin found Liz, so the hinky votes stopped. 

• Love 2

I actually think it was the opposite: I think that the TV-ready, lovable awkward produced creation known as Johnny Mac! only exists as compiled bits of footage from the editing bay and carefully scripted bon mots from the diary room. When unscripted, he reverts to John the dentist -- and his awkwardness becomes awkward (not charming), and his nervous tics take over his persona, instead of being amusing accents to his personality.

I couldn't believe his interview with Julie -- it was like the difference between hearing an overly produced musical artist on a catchy song and then hearing them live without autotune and fancy tricks to make them sound better.

• Love 5
When unscripted, he reverts to John the dentist

Didn't his family and the staff from his office tell the cameras he was nothing like that "character" around them...that he was very professional and enjoyable at the office?   I sometimes wonder if he didn't try to copy the LOUD talking of past BB winner Dan...but got carried away.

And I seriously don't get how Johnny is a fan favorite. He seems nuts to me.

He's my favorite and I don't get it either.  He's just entertaining...with a bit of charm, underdog, and vulnerability tossed in.

• Love 2

He must live a life of boredom then because his friends said he does that shit all the time.

I'd believe it.  Ever spent much time broke in South Carolina?  If you're not part of the Hilton Head crew, SC can get boring as hell.  :>

And why aren't any of these fools retaliating?

This bunch of chuckleheads attempting to win a prank-off with James would be akin to a competition between a bunch of kids with reasonably pointy sticks going up against a Jedi Master.

Wow John's interview with Julie was horrible. Maybe he was just really nervous- but he was so inarticulate. It was painful to watch.

And MEG?  Really? MEG?

I thought the JMac Chenterview was hilarious.  Chenbot's unsuccessful attempts to engage her "don't laugh" protocol programming were priceless.

And... I don't think JMac's notion of targeting Meg was that far off-base, for precisely the reason he stated.  His comment took me by surprise - but analyze it for a minute, and it shows definite potential as an example of second-level strategic thinking.

• Granted it has very little impact as a direct (first-level) game move; in that respect, Meg's value in the game is pretty much strictly the same as a very cut lump of mashed potatoes. 
  • But think about its indirect (second-level) consequences.  Every other solo-dolo whackjob in the House spends an inordinate amount of time worrying about how to minimized BOTH.  Whenever given the opportunity, however, James wants - and chooses - the exact opposite:  he wants a bloodbath, and he wants to be the one wearing the blood.  Unfortunately, his primary bond in the House (Meg) is someone who - although not absolutely incapable of providing for her own defense (reference one BoTB win) - is the second-worst in the House in that regard (Julia being the worst).  So when not in a power play position, James keeps his head down and keeps quiet strategy-wise with most other HGs in order to keep his primary ally safe (although his personal conflict with this uncharacteristically passive play sublimates in other aspects - namely, the pranking).
  • So: if James wants to be the berserker in the House but can't because he is (by personal choice) chained to Meg, what happens in the House if James is slipped of this cute-but-surly bonds?

God, I would LOVE to see that.  Might not be much for strategy. but entertainment-wise it would be TV gold.

Princess Glammy  did a recent blog post (which I can't find at the moment to directly link up) where she put the unanimous votes blame right on BB15's Helen.  Apparently Helen insisted on the houseguests going out with "dignity" and knowing that they were going out in advance or some such nonsense. Additionally, that season also made it habit that the HOH's wishes were fulfilled.  So if the HOH wanted person A out, then person A went out.  

In Jason Roy's post eviction interview with Reality Recaps, he mentioned that he'd studied the early Big Brothers (Seasons 1-10 or something), but when he got into the house they were all playing Big Brother 12-16.  Which was entirely different gameplay and he was lost in it, even though he was a superfan.  He seems to regret not doing more to feed the dissension among the voting houseguests (BB16's Christine says similar things) but both were caught up in the newbie/recruits gameplay which was largely based more recent BB seasons where they voted unanimously and as per the HOH's wishes.  Earlier seasons had people voting along alliances or what was best for themselves.  Recent seasons had them doing what the HOH wanted them to do so that they wouldn't be targeted by the HOH later on or in veto renoms.  

Frankly, I think that the Battle of the Block is part of the problem.  It led to throwing of comps, which led to people pleasing.

I agree on multiple points:

• Voting to please "the will of the HoH" sucks.  The HoH's "will" has already been serviced in (a) the noms, and (b) to a lesser extent, any replacement nom.  After that, it's what services your own game.
  • Ditto the "voting with the House" crap.  This is the BB version of Citizens United vs. FEC, and just as wrong-headed.  Individual HG "citizens" get a vote; the House as a corporate entity does not.
  • BoTB - and the bias it creates for nominating weak vs. strong players - favors cowards over heroes.  It is the Wormtongue of twists.  Backdoor blindsides were SO much better when they came like lightning bolts from a clear blue sky.  BoTB's bias toward (a) nominating two weak players to retain the HoH, then (b) nominating any real target on the renom has reduced BDs to de rigueur.
  • It's all Helen's fault.
  • Love 3

It's the unwillingness to make bold moves that irks me. "Vanessa's certainly a target, but it's not the right move for me and my game right now" - when is the right time going to be, when she's sitting next to Meg in the final two and you're sitting in jury holding a key with her name on it about to hand her half a million dollars?

Anyone remember the Coup D'Etat? They need to bring that back and shake up the complacency in the house. Hell, give it to James, because at least he'd have the stones to use it.

• Love 1

I don't have a problem with John, but if I was in that house, I wouldn't consider Steve the weird one.

This wouldn't be an issue if vote totals were kept secret - which I've been saying for years.  Announcing the totals takes all unpredictability out of the game.  These people have become such cowards that they won't do anything unless everyone else is doing it too.  Imagine how crazy the house would be if totals were secret.  Imagine how crazy Vanessa would be if she didn't know.

• Love 4

I don't have a problem with John, but if I was in that house, I wouldn't consider Steve the weird one.

This wouldn't be an issue if vote totals were kept secret - which I've been saying for years.  Announcing the totals takes all unpredictability out of the game.  These people have become such cowards that they won't do anything unless everyone else is doing it too.  Imagine how crazy the house would be if totals were secret.  Imagine how crazy Vanessa would be if she didn't know.

"who voted for who? I don't understand. Was it you? was it you? I thought I'd decided - I mean, I thought we'd decided? who was it? was it you? was it you? it was you wasn't it? you voted for them. It must be you, everybody else says it was you. It wasn't you? oh my god why are people saying these things? I'm so alone in this game! I don't understand, I don't understand I don't understand I don't understand...."

• Love 6

I loved Steve's speech. I have a soft spot for the kid and I'd love to see him pull off a surprise win.

I agree with both points. I grew up with a dad who was the same kind of "prankster"and I cannot STAND scaring people just to laugh when they scream. I like pranks that are funny or clever, not mean.

And I Iike Steve. He knows who he is, he doesn't try or pretend to be any different. This show gives him such pure joy, I want him to win because it will be the highpoint of his life.

• Love 3

Yeah, Vanessa's gut is confused, but it's Liz whose heart is literally dying.

Didn't we just have a long discussion about her graduating with honors?

We did, and she didn't.

But why would these players be following Helen's wishes?  

I think that in trying to avoid another really rancid cast, they picked nice people, and nice people do tend to work together and play nice.  There's got to be people who will play hard without reverting to racism and sexism. 

But why would these players be following Helen's wishes?  

I think that in trying to avoid another really rancid cast, they picked nice people, and nice people do tend to work together and play nice.  There's got to be people who will play hard without reverting to racism and sexism. 

It's not that they're following Helen's wishes, it's that she set up a precedent.  In Helen's season they just agreed with her probably because it let the person going home have a clue and not be blindsided.  I guess if you were on the receiving end it would be more ideal? 

• Love 1

And though they're not saying it, I think Derrick took that precedent to the next level, because of his professional experience (and success) with it. I would think consensus-building is a tremendous part of successful undercover work. When you have people in opposite factions who hate each other, there's more chance for drama and discord -- whereas if you can convince everyone that you're all on the same side, working towards a common goal, and there's just "one group," it's easier to hide in "the group" and not really have an identity.

I disagree with Jason's characterization of "Big Brother 12-16," though. Maybe (and just because I like to blame them as often as possible) the Brigade, with the whole "we bring in girl side alliances for our core of dudes" which Chilltown did not once, but twice, and with half the alliance, making it doubly impressive, but I digress.

The evidence pretty strongly suggest that it didn't start in earnest until Big Brother 15. It was Helen's baby, Amanda (of course) used it to bully people, and then Derrick used it to advance himself. But I don't think you get something like Dan's Funeral in this day and age because it wouldn't have been fair to Britney not to tell her she was going up on the block beforehand, and it would've hurt Frank's feelings if they didn't vote out his intended target. [/sarcasm heavily implied]

But yeah, any season where veterans were involved was not going for consensus-building. Those were straight-up alliances and factions of the house. So, I believe it's more like "a little of seasons 12, and seasons 15-16." If you want to get technical.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1