Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, rereader2 said:

I don't think Buzzy is all that great a contestant, but I don't mind him at all. He starts at the top and is all business, and he gets enough answers wrong to make me feel smart without me thinking he's stupid. He's just not a super-player.

Oh yeah, I like him fine, but I do think it's just luck that he's such a long-term champion at this point. 

• Love 4
Just now, CarpeDiem54 said:

Bawahahaha!  You made me spurt wine from my nose!  Good thing I'm wearing an old t-shirt.

Micro-recorder, uh?  I have a Jeopardy! notebook.  I also have no life.

This was supposed to be the first night I actually kept a record of TSs I got.  All you guys keep track, and by the time the game is over, I've forgotten 90% of what I meant to remember.  I hate to write things down, so I thought I'd try a recorder.  I chose a very bad night for my bold experiment.

Sorry about the T-shirt.

I agree that Buzzy's no Hall of Famer--he manages to be better enough than his competition, but that isn't saying much lately.  I wish he would stop douching it up at the beginning and end of the show.  He's fine the rest of the time.

• Love 4

Caught glimpses on and off while at the gym with no sound.  With the comments I've seen, it sounds like that was a good thing.

Anti Buzzy fan here, especially his "blah blah, Trebek" FJ answers.  It was funny back in the 90s because we imagined a drunken Sean Connery saying it.  May have to skip until he loses.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Okay, I would never advocate violence against another human being, but if Victor decided to punch himself in the face after that game, it wouldn't break my heart.

Didn't you appreciate him getting Mondrian from the Piet clue?

I really liked his GPS story, particularly how he told it, so seriously. However, his game play left a lot to be desired.

I also liked Buzzy story about his little daughter speaking Shakespeare. I think I'd like him a lot better if I skipped the very beginning of the show and the very end.

For the final clue in DJ, didn't Victor say, "What is Asia?" and then Alex said, "Asia Minor, yes." Did that bother anyone else?

As for TSs I got (which I type on my laptop if I have it handy), I got Belle Starr, Lost, cat (the clarinet in Peter and the Wolf), and The Handmaid's Tale.

For FJ I said Dr Mudd. At least I picked someone from Civil War times.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For the final clue in DJ, didn't Victor say, "What is Asia?" and then Alex said, "Asia Minor, yes." Did that bother anyone else?

No - Minor was in the clue: The agreement that redrew the Middle East was known by the name of this "Minor" area of major importance

• Love 5

I also thought about Dreyfus and Dr. Mudd for FJ, since I knew John Wilkes Booth had been killed shortly after the Lincoln assassination. Add me to the people getting tired of Buzzy's nonsense writing at the end. Make a reasonable guess!

I thought for awhile it would be a low-scoring game with only the guy in the middle left standing at the end. And yes, Victor was super annoying, but he made a pretty good comeback in DJ.

• Love 1

I thought of Dr. Mudd, too.  Remember TV Newsman Roger Mudd? He's a descendant. 

I always miss "The Handmaid's Tale" whenever it comes up because I insist on calling it "The Handmaiden's Tale."  I thought it was stupid story, too...probably why I can't remember the correct name.

There were some other TSs I got, but I can't remember them now. I don't take notes. Besides, I'm on vacation & watching in a hotel room, perched on the edge of the bed isn't the best way to watch.  But I SO can be added to the "Anti-Buzzy Douche-Up" folks. I think the word "dork" is most applicable here.  That Wrap article (in the Media thread) has it SO wrong when they said "women love him."  No. Not all women.  Bad reporting. And they can't spell Trebek.  Feh.

uh-oh...looks like today I'll be in my Grumpy Old Broad mode. I hope I remember to tip people that deserve it. hahahaha

• Love 5

I'm guessing maybe the clue was in the Pulitzer Prize category, but I'm thinking I still would've known it.

Of course you would have - the clue mentioned the Tarleton Twins. 

That was just not a good game last night.  Not at all.

• Love 2

I missed the beginning of the show, but there seemed like a lot of Triple Stumpers and bad guesses in what I did see.  Not a very good game, and since it ended with Buzzy winning again, a borderline bad one.

I didn't get FJ.  My Reconstruction era history isn't the best.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, secnarf said:

That was such an odd interview piece..."I argue with my GPS", really?!

It feels like I'm still watching the teachers' tournament or power week, with the pace and number of clues left on the board.

I thought it was amusing, but maybe that's because I have un-fond memories of two different trips to Atlantic City where what I now call "GPS Bitch" gave us really bad directions.  Hand on a weirwood tree: she had us wandering around the back roads of New Jersey the first time and made us do a U-turn for absolutely no legitimate reason on the second trip.  Give me a map and I'm good, but keep your GPS.

• Love 2
(edited)

As for TSs I got (which I type on my laptop if I have it handy), I got Belle Starr, Lost, cat (the clarinet in Peter and the Wolf), and The Handmaid's Tale.

For FJ I said Dr Mudd. At least I picked someone from Civil War times.

I got those, plus Haifa, Palestine, Discover (I have a friend who went on a ranting tirade when Sears stopped accepting Discover because it was originally their card) and the Foundation Trilogy.

I started to say Dr. Mudd for FJ, then remembered that he'd actually been convicted of treason and imprisoned on the Dry Tortugas.

(Oops, meant to say "those except for cat" - it's been awhile since I've listened to Peter and the Wolf, although it was one of my dad's favorites.)

Of course you would have - the clue mentioned the Tarleton Twins.

Having now seen the clue, I can say that the reference to a life of ease on the plantation would've given me GWTW; the Tarleton twins would've just been icing on the cake.  Although I must confess, most of that category would've stumped me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought it was amusing, but maybe that's because I have un-fond memories of two different trips to Atlantic City where what I now call "GPS Bitch" gave us really bad directions.  Hand on a weirwood tree: she had us wandering around the back roads of New Jersey the first time and made us do a U-turn for absolutely no legitimate reason on the second trip.  Give me a map and I'm good, but keep your GPS.

Just recently there was a woman who drove her car into Lake Huron in Tobermory, Ontario because her GPS told her to.  Now she should have argued with her GPS.

I am also old school, better with a map than GPS.

• Love 3

I said JW Booth for FJ! because I know absolutely nothing about the Civil War and I don't care.  My history book for that time period is Gone With The Wind (and of course I knew THAT answer!).  I really liked Buzzy's story about his daughter.  He's won how many games and I don't think it's because his competors have been weak, although I'd love him to pay Alex Jacobs.  Victor was simply annoying--how did he get on the show?????

Keeping track of TS--is a TS where everyone guesses wrong, or when nobody rings in?

22 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I said JW Booth for FJ! because I know absolutely nothing about the Civil War and I don't care.  My history book for that time period is Gone With The Wind (and of course I knew THAT answer!).  I really liked Buzzy's story about his daughter.  He's won how many games and I don't think it's because his competors have been weak, although I'd love him to pay Alex Jacobs.  Victor was simply annoying--how did he get on the show?????

Keeping track of TS--is a TS where everyone guesses wrong, or when nobody rings in?

A TS is a question that doesn't get a correct answer, whether because they guess wrong or don't ring in.

• Love 1

For FJ I said Dr Mudd

Add me to the Dr Mudd group. Then I decided he was a bit too obscure and thought more about the location. I lived in Biloxi for a short hellish moment many years ago, and had been to the Jefferson Davis home, Beauvoir. I was vacillating between RE Lee and Davis and the location tipped the scale. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, rereader2 said:

I don't think Buzzy is all that great a contestant, but I don't mind him at all. He starts at the top and is all business, and he gets enough answers wrong to make me feel smart without me thinking he's stupid. He's just not a super-player.

This is how I feel about him, too. He doesn't bother me, but I don't think he's a great player. He hasn't had to get an FJ correct for a while, and I don't know if that's because he doesn't know the answers or because he does but would rather be cute with his responses since he isn't wagering anything.

He is far from my favorite, but I was so freaking happy Victor didn't win last night. Now that's a contestant I didn't like.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Just recently there was a woman who drove her car into Lake Huron in Tobermory, Ontario because her GPS told her to.  Now she should have argued with her GPS.

I am also old school, better with a map than GPS.

In the woman's defense, I've been to that exact spot and the road literally drives right into the water - it's a boat drop - and in the dark in bad weather (the circumstances the woman was driving in) when you're unfamiliar with the area, I can see how a person might do that, with or without a GPS. You have to actually make a right turn to avoid the water; if you go straight you'll drive into it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, teebax said:

This is how I feel about him, too. He doesn't bother me, but I don't think he's a great player. He hasn't had to get an FJ correct for a while, and I don't know if that's because he doesn't know the answers or because he does but would rather be cute with his responses since he isn't wagering anything.

He is far from my favorite, but I was so freaking happy Victor didn't win last night. Now that's a contestant I didn't like.

If forced to choose between the two, I guess I'd pick Buzzy.  He does annoy me, although he didn't at first, but at least he plays an okay game, meaning he doesn't drag out clue choices, starts at the top, keeps play moving decently.  I'd rather have had Brian win, though.

• Love 3

If  had to choose between Buzzy and Victor, I would run over my own grandmother to choose Buzzy.  I cannot think of any scenario where I would have backed Victor.

I mean, he seemed like a congenial enough fellow but no. 

Someone upthread said they almost prefer Chu to Buzzy and in addition to mowing down my grandma, I would throw my whole family in front of my deathmobile to side with Buzzy over Arthur.

• Love 7

Buzzy didn't bother me before the tournaments.  Now he just seems smarmy - kind of like Eddie Haskell if Eddie were winning on Jeopardy.  I am really rooting for him to at least have a close scare where he actually has to come up with an FJ answer instead of "whatever, Trebeck" or that he gets smacked with a loss.  He ain't all that and a bag of chips, except in "Buzzy World". 

Having vented enough, I will acknowledge that he is a good player and might very well wipe the floor with me in a studio with lights, cameras and an audience. 

• Love 7

For me, Buzzy was again the least objectionable player.  Mostly because the other two insisted on starting in the middles of categories. 

Dole should not have been a DD.  It was a $200 clue at best. 

I could not for the life of me come up with Mercury!  Pluto will always be the smallest planet to me.  Poor Pluto.

However, I did get Kuiper Belt and FJ, though that one took me a second.  It probably helps that I work with someone named Antoinette who goes by Toni.

• Love 3

Not a great game but at least it wasn't a runaway.

Pretty much instaget FJ - I did zero in on the daughter's name and 1951 sounded about right for Tony the Tiger.

• Love 4

Buzzy, you ain't cute anymore, with your douchey hair stroking. Also he has a really thick neck, and it is starting to become a distraction.

Agree that FJ was a pretty easy guess. I gave a sarcastic "grrrrr-eat" when Buzzy won again.

• Love 7

I loved Alex's snarky remarks about Douchey!  "He writes remarks about me when he doesn't know the answer to FJ" and basically begging the other two contestants to please beat him.  It's a good thing his father provides his custom made suits, with that overly thick neck and small shoulders, his suits would be pricey.

That pineapple DD was ridiculously easy.  I got Fahrenheit 911 and St. Elba.

I also managed to get FJ.

We need an Alex Jacob clone to mop the floor with La Douche.  I'm waiting...

• Love 5

Buzzy doesn't bother me at all.  He starts at the top, has a nice, relaxed demeanor, with no grating mannerisms during play.  I find him to be a pleasant player.  Stuff he does at the beginning or the end of the show doesn't bother me either.  I'm more concerned with how he plays.  I think he has a pretty broad base of knowledge and so far he hasn't had an opponent that I've been rooting for over him.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I could not for the life of me come up with Mercury!  Pluto will always be the smallest planet to me.  Poor Pluto.

I immediately said "Pluto!...oh wait :( Mercury" and was then sad, because I miss when Pluto was really a planet, instead of just being a planet in my head.

For FJ, I suppose one could call it an "instaget" since I immediately said Tony the Tiger, however, I was absolutely 100% convinced it was wrong - it was just the only thing I could come up with. I knew the daughter's name had to be significant, I just didn't put two and two together.

• Love 1

I originally thought Smokey the Bear for FJ then quickly changed to Tony the Tiger.

Buzzy didn't bother me before the tournaments.  Now he just seems smarmy - kind of like Eddie Haskell if Eddie were winning on Jeopardy. 

That's it! That's who he reminds me of, a retro poser Eddie Haskell. 8 wins already?? When will his reign of terror end?! I thought the other guy would pull it off but too many bad guesses.

• Love 3
(edited)

Tonight was my first chance to see Buzzy - I'm almost never bothered by the contestants who aggravate so many people here, so I was looking forward to seeing how I reacted to him - and I tuned in just as the interviews ended, saw about three clues before getting a phone call, and hung up just as FJ was being read.  So, I still don't know.

As soon as I saw "Antonia" (or "Antoinette"? Something like Anthony) in the clue, I figured it was Tony the Tiger.  And I got the other three clues I managed to watch.  So, go me - perfect game!

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I originally thought Smokey the Bear for FJ then quickly changed to Tony the Tiger.

I thought Smokey the Bear, never made the connection with the woman's name.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, teebax said:

I was surprised two of them missed FJ. I thought it was obvious and had it before Alex stopped reading the clue.

I didn't think it was hard at all and was surprised they missed it.

16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Tonight was my first chance to see Buzzy - I'm almost never bothered by the contestants who aggravate so many people here,

Me neither.  I don't hate Buzzy, but I get tired of seeing the same contestants so it's time for him to move on.  Today's story about his father owning a men's clothing store and custom tailoring his suits - it was kind of neat how that fit into how so many people have noticed his suits.

• Love 3

I didn't get FJ. I was focusing on Antoinette being French, so I was trying to think of a French-type food mascot. I thought, "Oh! Chef Boyardee!" then remembered he was neither an animal nor French.

I thought Ted was doing pretty good in a few places, particularly the college category. I think a big advantage Buzzy has right now is buzzer experience. Buzzy the buzzer. 

Ted = Hugh Laurie + George Clooney

• Love 4

My initial response was Elmer, but Elsie the Cow existed before Elmer & his glue, so that wasn't it. As soon as I focused on the daughter's name, I got it.

Word of warning for those who love paper maps above GPS: If you belong to the AARP & sign up for their motor club, they'll send you free maps!  But...even though they're Rand McNally maps, because they're for old folks, they're LARGE PRINT and seem to leave off all the smaller roads - the ones I like to take.  I do my initial planning with the Rand McNally maps, but fine-tune & travel with the maps from the states' transportation departments, when I can get 'em.

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked Ted and his cagey response to Alex's question about his concrete boat race, but he lost me when he started throwing out silly guesses. The Fahrenheit 9/11 miss is the only one I can remember offhand, but he had a few of those.

Having never cracked the spine on any Harry Potter books (or the ... seals (?) on any of the films), I was prepared to be mystified by that beasts caregory. I was surprised I ended up knowing a couple just through cultural osmosis/Harry-Potter-everywhereness.

I would've just given Elba as the answer to that Napoleon clue; never heard St. Elba before.

For FJ I zeroed in on "Antoinette" right away, and got to Tony pretty quickly.

I didn't really mind Buzzy at first, but I am getting tired of him now. Maybe it's just that he's getting too comfortable.  He does seem a little smug for someone with so many unremarkable games to his credit.

Edited by Lois Sandborne
  • Love 2

It's not St. Elba, it's St. Helena. Napoleon was first exiled to Elba, escaped, and returned to France for an unsuccessful coup (able was I ere I saw Elba). Then he was exiled to St. Helena where he eventually died.

• Love 3

Damn you, Ted!  We were so close!!!

Dole?  Really?

FJ was indeed an instaget for me.  I thought of Tony the Tiger before I even saw the clue.  And I just knew alphanumeric would be an answer for the A-C category.  Sometimes I'm psychic like that.  (Mostly I'm just psycho.)

That pineapple DD was ridiculously easy.  I got Fahrenheit 911 and St. Elba.

I'm sure you meant St. Helena. ;-)

• Love 3

I hadn't had a chance to watch any of this week's episodes yet, and I woke up a bit early this morning, so I caught up on all three.  Man, that's an *awful* lot of Buzzy and his jackassery for one morning.  I do think he's been lucky to be up against some relatively weak competition, and can only hope that a decent player comes along soon and knocks him out.  

(I will admit that I enjoyed the story about his father and the clothing store, because he has been very well dressed.  If only his mother owned a Lenscrafters...)

• Love 5

Oh yeah, part one of my relief about Buzzy's suits was when I realized he lives in LA, and part two is that his father sells suits! (His first couple of days, I really was worked up about the arrogance of bringing so many suits with him!)

• Love 2

I'm never going to complain about somebody who dresses up for "Jeopardy!" because so many of the contestants dress like slobs. Many of the guys I know don't even OWN a suit, and I suspect that's true of a lot of men these days, unless they have a job that requires it.

• Love 2

I really don't know why I had a bug up my butt about it -- I generally have no problem with Buzzy! But I was imagining him packing up all his suits to fly to LA, and it just seemed like a lot of belief in yourself. I feel like there have been several multi-day male champs whose clothes go downhill quickly during their first "week," because they didn't really expect to win. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ABay said:

It's not St. Elba, it's St. Helena. Napoleon was first exiled to Elba, escaped, and returned to France for an unsuccessful coup (able was I ere I saw Elba). Then he was exiled to St. Helena where he eventually died.

Thanks. Maybe I'll remember next time. Also, I always thought both islands were in the Mediterranean. I've learned at least two things today. :)

• Love 2