Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I think you had to know that the Four Horsemen was the famous Notre Dame lineup when Knute Rockne was the coach.

That's exactly what I was think of when I said "The Fearsome Foursome"... :-(

• Love 1

I know about The Four Horsemen but couldn't get that from the clue, but I also think I skimmed it because I saw South Bend and said Fighting Irish.

The name Connie Mack would absolutely not come to me. It was there in my brain, but hiding behind some other trivia I didn't need at the time.

• Love 1

I'm a lifelong fan of all Philly teams (born and raised) and I couldn't get Connie Mack to come out, even though I knew it.

They should take my Philly fan card away. Really, they should. Then I could at least root for winning teams instead of suffering through baseball, football, hockey, and basketball season every year.

• Love 3

I know about The Four Horsemen but couldn't get that from the clue, but I also think I skimmed it because I saw South Bend and said Fighting Irish.

The name Connie Mack would absolutely not come to me. It was there in my brain, but hiding behind some other trivia I didn't need at the time.

The clue was rather cryptic.  I think the only thing which made me say Four Horsemen and not Fighting Irish was the admittedly faint implication that it referred to a small group of players within the larger team.

• Love 1

Fighting Irish here, too--the first thing that came to me-- (White Sox?--no college fan she!). Love the good games of late, after so many duds, but sure would like a five-game champ (one who meets my approval, of course!) before we end up with a tourney sans one. That would be a big boo, hiss in my book, especially after last year!

• Love 1

I was just going to say the same thing. I have no idea why you would risk losing when there is no reason to, that took guts. Maybe she was intimidated by Brent's death stare.

• Love 4

I didn't see Brent yesterday, but he was a piece of work today -- is he aware that he has a microphone on ?  Because there were numerous times you heard his secondary commentary after missing a question.

Courtesy of Brent -- that famous Italian chef Mario Lopez.  That actually made me laugh.

What the hell was the new champ thinking with that FJ wager ?  There was no need to risk that much, because if she was wrong she would have come in 3rd.  She almost pulled a Clavin.

• Love 13

Yay for Annie! I like her and not just because she beat that hideous creep Brent. But what was she thinking with that FJ wager? She should have bet $100 at most.

I actively cheered when Ole I'm Gonna Beat This Buzzer To Death didn't get either of his DDs, both of which I got.

I also got X and spleen. I was way over thinking FJ when it came to me.

• Love 5

I didn't see Brent yesterday, but he was a piece of work today -- is he aware that he has a microphone on ?  Because there were numerous times you heard his secondary commentary after missing a question.

Courtesy of Brent -- that famous Italian chef Mario Lopez.  That actually made me laugh.

What the hell was the new champ thinking with that FJ wager ?  There was no need to risk that much, because if she was wrong she would have come in 3rd.  She almost pulled a Clavin.

Cliff Clavin was my first thought also. Is it possible she didn't realize it was a runaway, even after AT made that comment about the guys not being happy?

I wasn't as annoyed by Brent as others were, but he did have his share of GG's. Mario Lopez??? I wondered if he was thinking of Mario Lanza the opera singer.

And yes, AT should never, never again attempt a Southern accent.

• Love 4

Thank goodness Brent has left the building. Buzz pause pause pause guess. Ugh!

I was shocked at Annie's bid. She must have been super confident about her knowledge of the Western Hemisphere.

Did I mention how happy I am Brent is gone?

• Love 6

I realize I was mostly annoyed at Annie for that reckless wager because if she'd gotten it wrong, I personally would've been sentenced to at least one more day of Brent.

When I was a kid, I made fun of my grandmother for yelling at the TV during The Price Is Right.  And now I've become her.  Sorry, Grandma.

• Love 12

Under Johnny Depp Films the clue was: "Johnny fancies himself a legendary Spanish lover"
Brent answered "What is Don Juan..."  and then stopped, blankly, as Alex waited for the rest of the title and the clock ticked down.
I screamed, "DON JUAN CARSON!!!"

• Love 10

I had to admire Annie's gutsy wager in Final. Sure, she could've played it safe with a small bet (up to $199 would have been safe) but she was a smart cookie with a lot of confidence. Besides, after Brent's track record all evening - if she got it wrong you KNOW he'd have got it wrong!

• Love 1

Cliff Clavin was my first thought also. Is it possible she didn't realize it was a runaway, even after AT made that comment about the guys not being happy?

She had to have known - it was obvious - she didn't have to even do the math to figure it out.  I think she was just greedy.   Even if its a category you are an expert at, its so easy to make a mistake - misunderstanding the question, a spelling mistake, leaving out something important. 

• Love 4

Oh, Alex. Please stick to your French accent when reading clues. Your Jimmy Carter impression sounded more like Scarlett O'Hara after puking up turnips.

I thought he sounded like Frank Underwood.

Oh, and more words of wisdom from Alex -- "You can really make yourself feel good in your initial appearance on Jeopardy by winning the game and also a lot of money." 

I wasn't bothered by Brent like so many of you were, but his multitude of wrong guesses made me cringe, particularly Mario Lopez. However, when the clue about The Count of Monte Cristo came up, I thought "Edmond Dumonte" and then Brent said Dumonte. Who is Edmond Dumonte and why did we both come up with the same wrong answer?

For TSs, I got Amarillo and spleen. In the Playboy category, I couldn't remember her first name and only came up with Hefner.

• Love 2

Columbus seemed far too elementary for the FJ answer, so I was casting around for alternatives. Mario Lopez was a hoot. 

Has anyone actually Clavined FJ?

I can't remember specifics but it's definitely happened.

More frequently we'll see someone in second or third who doesn't bet enough to cover the leader and would have won if they'd bet smarter.

• Love 3

I'm so disappointed in all of you -- not one comment on whatever that was that was sitting atop the Paul's head?

I try not to comment on people's looks but confess to thinking of

6I1kFf9.png

• Love 1

Speaking of money, do contestants get the amount of their final "score" or is there a set amount? Do they pay their own transportation to the Jeopardy! studio?

What does Johnny Gilbert do besides pierce my eardrums with "*THIS* is Jeopardy!" I mute the TV until the big blue letters go away, otherwise it it too painful.

Speaking of money, do contestants get the amount of their final "score" or is there a set amount?

The winner should, less taxes, second place gets $2K and third place gets $1K, regardless of their final score in the game.

• Love 2

Actually, Brent said Edmund Dumas ( doo-MAH ) - which was the surname of the author, not the character.

Ohhh. Doh. Thanks. I guess I kinda sorta had that name in mind when I thought Dumonte -- Maybe that was conflating Dumas and Monte [Cristo].

• Love 2

Brent was a bad loser, too.  He practically threw a tantrum when he realized he didn't have at least half of Annie's score.  Glad he's gone.  Now if we can just get Annie to start at the tops of the categories.....

As all of you have said, FJ was so easy, I thought I was wrong.

• Love 3

On the question where that guy lost $8000, I narrowed it to Sri Lanka and Singapore and then picked the former as the location named ended with -pur.

I also got Sri Lanka.  I think Bill failed to notice that the clue said "island nation".

It was not a good game for me, brain just wasn't working. 

I had no idea on FJ but I do know it was Tennyson, not Shelley, who wrote the Lady of Shalott.

New champ seems okay.  I actually liked Bill better but he blew his chance.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3

What is it with the buzzers? Did they install new ones that require the strength of Hercules to push? Everyone was mashing them like mad.

I actually laughed at Bill's over confident wagers. He bugged me. Of course he started his interview with, "Yeah, so, me and my friend..."which annoyed me no end.

Ah, that famous Rolling Stones tune "Harlem Globetrotters".

I got Bloomberg (no one recognized him? WTF?) and one step forward, two steps back.

I was clueless on FJ again. I assume the answer was Mont Blanc since Alex said "Mon Blon".

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 9

I swear you are living in my head, Carpe.  Every time I come here, you've already said everything I was thinking.

The list of answers I didn't come up with tonight is longer than the list I knew.  But I'm proud to have worked out FJ (although I should've known the poem--it's embarrassing that I didn't).  My first thought was the Matterhorn, but Alex (God love him) pronounced "Chamouni" so Frenchily that I knew the place couldn't be in Switzerland.  And then I remembered the French ski resort of Chamonix, so I picked out the Frenchiest mountain I could think of, since a vale is a valley, and voilà, Mont Blanc.  I'm short of breath from all that deducing.

Can someone explain something I just don't get?  When the DD has been exposed (or both of them have in DJ), what is the point of continuing the game in the middle of the board?  I understand people going for higher values toward the end of the game, when they're behind, but tonight the DD was gone at the very start, so why pick the $800 clue in that category rather than go up to the top? Because you think your opponents won't do well in the harder clues and you will?  To build up an intimidating lead early?  That doesn't usually play so well.  But I assume there's a good reason.

• Love 7

I couldn't believe they didn't recognize Michael Bloomberg. 

I like the gal who won (forgot her name).  She wasn't as hard on the buzzer as the other two.  And it looked like she was having a good time. But she will probably be gone tomorrow.

• Love 2

I got Bloomberg (no one recognized him? WTF?) and one step forward, two steps back.

I was aghast that no one recognized (or knew?) Bloomberg. As for the word puzzle, I said 'out of step.' Doh.

I did not get FJ. I ignored the French word in the clue and concentrated on Shelley being English. So my only answer was the White Cliffs of Dover. Oh well.

Can someone explain something I just don't get?  When the DD has been exposed (or both of them have in DJ), what is the point of continuing the game in the middle of the board?  I understand people going for higher values toward the end of the game, when they're behind, but tonight the DD was gone at the very start, so why pick the $800 clue in that category rather than go up to the top? Because you think your opponents won't do well in the harder clues and you will?  To build up an intimidating lead early?  That doesn't usually play so well.  But I assume there's a good reason.

That's a good question. I believe whatshisname said that one reason to do this was to throw off the other contestants, but I guess this is more about category jumping than clue value. When time's running out, I can see going for the bigger clues to amass more money.

• Love 4

When Bill was announced as a "trivia writer" (this is a profession?) I thought he would start a huge Ken Jennings-type run. Too bad those DD's didn't work out, but Katrina seems pleasant. I love come-from-behind wins.

I also was surprised no one recognized Bloomberg. He was mayor for 12 years! But it's easy for a New Yorker to overestimate how much people from other parts of the country know (or care) about NYC.

I got "one step forward, two steps back" but thought of the Matterhorn for FJ. I suspected it was wrong but could not come up with Mont Blanc.

• Love 3

Speaking of money, do contestants get the amount of their final "score" or is there a set amount? Do they pay their own transportation to the Jeopardy! studio?

Contestants pay for their transportation to and from Los Angeles and for their hotel room.  There is a free shuttle bus you can take from the hotel to the studio if you're staying at the hotel recommended by the contestant coordinator, but you pay for your own transportation back.  That's if you don't stay to watch any games filmed after yours (I didn't); not sure if there's a shuttle for those who stay until the end of the day.

• Love 2

I got Bloomberg, One Step Forward and both DD misses.  Practically screamed "Sri Lanka" at the tv.  I missed Harlem Shuffle because I've never heard of that song; all I came up with was the Harlem Shake and I knew that wasn't the Rolling Stones.  But I did get the FJ by ignoring Shelley and concentrating on the Vale of Chamouni.  I knew Chamonix, France was where the first Winter Olympics was held, so I named the only French mountain I knew.

Alex pronounced Mont Blanc like the French do: the T is silent and the c so soft it practically is silent as well.  At least it seemed that way to me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

Contestants pay for their transportation to and from Los Angeles and for their hotel room.

Unless rules have changed since the olden days of my taping,  I believe if you are a returning champ, and need to fly back and forth, they will then pay your airfare. So, Ken only had to pay for his first trip to LA - all the other times he returned, they paid.  Which is fair since you don't see the money for three months after your show aired (unless that changed also).

• Love 1

Unless rules have changed since the olden days of my taping,  I believe if you are a returning champ, and need to fly back and forth, they will then pay your airfare. So, Ken only had to pay for his first trip to LA - all the other times he returned, they paid.  Which is fair since you don't see the money for three months after your show aired (unless that changed also).

Yes, that is the case for returning champs.  And it was still 3 months after your show aired when I was on the show, but that was 2008, so it may have changed in the meantime.

• Love 1