Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

IIRC, the clue was asking for the name of the animal the cloth comes from, the Chamois, which is pronounced the way Alex pronounced it. A shammy is the cloth itself.

I have since deleted it, but I'm pretty sure they were asking for the name of the fabric, not the animal. I'm sure someone will let us know for sure.

• Love 1

Thank you.  I looked at that game, but the category title didn't strike me as being the right one and therefore I didn't read the actual clues.  D'oh!

I have since deleted it, but I'm pretty sure they were asking for the name of the fabric, not the animal. I'm sure someone will let us know for sure.

I checked J! Archive, and it was the name of the fabric they wanted.

• Love 3

You're right, I sit corrected!!

• Love 4

I thought the leather category was really easy and surprised at 3 TS in there. When Alex said Chamois I thought Oh I think you can also say Chammy but maybe I'm wrong.

Speaking of Alex and his foreign pronunciations, I was disappointed to see he makes the common English speaker's mistake when pronouncing "gio" in Caravaggio. The GIO is pronounced simply JO not GEE-O - It's CaravaJO not Carava-Gee-O. It's a dipthong.  It's JO-vanni not Gee-o-vanni. As a fluent Italian speaker this drives me nuts, I thought Alex knew better. I wouldn't get on most people for it but since Alex is so snooty about his foreign pronunciations, I feel I have the right to rag on him, lol. 

Even people name their children these days something like Gianna which is pronounced JOHN-A and called her Gee-AH-NNa incorrect but if they named her, they can do whatever they like. And I can still cringe.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 7

Apparently "shammy" is the common pronunciation for the cloth, but I grew up hearing it pronounced "shamwa" for the cloth just like for the animal (it's what we used to dry the cars after washing them, otherwise it wouldn't have been such a commonly-heard word for me).  Maybe my parents were being faux fancy in their pronunciation, as they're not exactly sticklers for maintaining original pronunciation of foreign words. 

• Love 1

I wasn't crazy about Sam to begin with, but, your idol is Kanye West?  His parents must be so proud....

I will be rooting for either Niki or the winner of today's bout to win the championship.

• Love 9

I wasn't crazy about Sam to begin with, but, your idol is Kanye West?  His parents must be so proud....

I will be rooting for either Niki or the winner of today's bout to win the championship.

I couldn't believe that an intelligent college kid would be so enamored with Kanye! Today his idol proclaimed that Bill Cosby is innocent. More crap out of Kanye's mouth.

• Love 11

The best part of this game was that, unlike the Iowa caucus break-in (which was done over Final Jeopardy), the NH primary break-in just pre-empted some commercials and part of an interview.

• Love 1

"Calm as a cucumber"?  I have never heard that phrase before.  Mr.Trey says the contestant corrected herself but I didn't hear her; Alex also said 'calm or cool as a cucumber' as though 'calm' was totally acceptable.

Instaget FJ.

• Love 2

I'm not sure I understand how they selected which contestants to pit against each other.  Were these 3 the highest scoring contestants from last week?  I think both Nikki and Gus had very high dollar totals when they won, but not sure about Emily.  Or maybe its a totally random match-up between all the winners.  Does anyone know? 

I think TPTB probably didn't want an all-California final (Cal, Stanford, USC). 

I had a problem with a ruling. They should not have accepted Insubordinate for Insurgent, since the clue referenced the Veronica Roth book. I think that ruling cost the guy from NC State the game, but I could be wrong (don't remember what the scores ended up being.) I kept waiting for them to adjust the scores based on the errors. Can one of you confirm?

• Love 4

Unless it involved a Daily Double, I don't think it cost him the game since he bet conservatively on FJ and the girl from Pitt bet a huge amount.  I agree, though, that they shouldn't have accepted 'insubordinate' and should've corrected the scores as a result.

Edited to note that after Double Jeopardy, Sarah and Ziad were less than $1000 apart.  Ziad bet $401 for FJ and Sarah bet $17,401.  It was Ziad's betting strategy which lost him the game.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

I didn't like that ruling either. I seem to recall a similar example from a little while back. Here's the clue from yesterday's game:

You don't have to read Veronica Roth to know it's a person who revolts against authority

I don't think the clue requires that the word be in the title. BTW, this was a $1200 clue. The one who gave the insubordinate answer had $7000 before FJ. The other scores before FJ were $17800 and $18,200.

I also did not like the insurgent/insubordinate ruling. I accept that it didn't have to be the title of the book since that part was a hint rather than a requirement. I don't accept that insubordinates revolt against authority.

• Love 4

I've never heard of Roth or her book, but that was extra clue information, not the question asked.  I thought of insurgent myself but think insubordinate is acceptable.

I don't think there's any stated logic as to how the final triads are arranged, but along with the California question I think they were spreading the Y chromosomes across the days to give one a better chance of getting through.

• Love 1

So Hawaii gets BMS, but Vancouver is accepted instead of Vancouver island? At least Hawaii is inherently islands...Vancouver on its own implies the city, on the mainland, not Vancouver Island.

It was a good game though, they had impressive scores at the end.

• Love 8

Wow, Niki went from a giggle box in her very first game to aggressive and bordering on Matt-like rudeness.

I see Kanye, Jr. was still playing with himself. I love that Niki beat him to the buzzer on that clue.

Go, Sarah! I hope she can hold on for the win.

Lots of TS's and blank stares tonight. I got Philippines (Portugal? Really, Kanye?), onionskin, and Tom Wolfe. That 1812 Overture DD was too easy.

FJ was an instaget.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 2

My fight song was a Triple Stumper. They didn't do well in that category at all.

They sure don't know much fun college stuff, do they??? Geeez, study, study, study!

Sarah's my gal, too,C!

Edited by just prin
  • Love 1

I still can't stand Sam. 

Nikki must just do better under pressure.  I think she's done that come from behind thing in every one of her games.  I find it amazing to watch.  She starts slow and suddenly it's like lightning hit her. 

I am rooting for Sarah, though.  I wish she would have wagered more for FJ, but I guess she was protecting what she had rather than risk losing it.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 5

Unless it involved a Daily Double, I don't think it cost him the game since he bet conservatively on FJ and the girl from Pitt bet a huge amount.  I agree, though, that they shouldn't have accepted 'insubordinate' and should've corrected the scores as a result.

Edited to note that after Double Jeopardy, Sarah and Ziad were less than $1000 apart.  Ziad bet $401 for FJ and Sarah bet $17,401.  It was Ziad's betting strategy which lost him the game.

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I didn't know if it affected the game or not, but I really hated that ruling. Why put the information in there about the book if you're going to accept an answer that isn't the name of the book? I wish they'd have some consistency.

• Love 4

I didn't mind Niki going aggressive at the end.  She was pretty far behind when she started steamrolling, and she needed to get the clues in to have a chance to earn enough to have a chance.  And since we all know Alex Trebek will add in crap that we don't need to hear, thereby allowing fewer clues to be asked, I completely understand her choice.

That zerg question was very poorly worded, and I got hung up on the success part of it.  Zerging is a strategy/style, not inherently victorious.  Mr. Pallida and I ranted, and then were quite disappointed we didn't get to see the rest of the video game slang clues.

• Love 2

That zerg question was very poorly worded, and I got hung up on the success part of it.  Zerging is a strategy/style, not inherently victorious.  Mr. Pallida and I ranted, and then were quite disappointed we didn't get to see the rest of the video game slang clues.

Never played Starcraft so I had no idea what a zerg rush was (though was familiar with the concept from other games), but was pleasantly surprised by the results when I Googled it.

• Love 1

Don't be embarrassed Trey - it was my first thought too.  Next I tried desperately to remember who was the current NSA Director and then thought "doh, I bet it is Snowden" although I couldn't get his first name out of the recesses of my brain so if I got a BMS, I would have said Carson Snowden. 

• Love 6

I've never heard of Roth or her book, but that was extra clue information, not the question asked.  I thought of insurgent myself but think insubordinate is acceptable.

I don't think there's any stated logic as to how the final triads are arranged, but along with the California question I think they were spreading the Y chromosomes across the days to give one a better chance of getting through.

The last game of the semis was all wild card contestants.

• Love 1

I had no idea FJ referenced a bible until the answer was revealed. I did know, however, that Elizabeth died in 1603 and was succeeded by James I & VI.

I got to it by vaguely placing Henry VIII around 1530, and accounting for Mary's reign, and Elizabeth's long reign, knew it was James 1. I had no clue (pun not intended) that the KJ version of the Bible was the project. The Mr. and I went back and forth arguing about whether or not King James should have been accepted as is. I was on the "no" team. 

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I didn't know if it affected the game or not, but I really hated that ruling. Why put the information in there about the book if you're going to accept an answer that isn't the name of the book? I wish they'd have some consistency.

I wasn't fond of the ruling either. The dictionary definition I read for insubordinate is "not obeying authority" - which while not exactly the same as insurgent, is in the neighborhood, with insurgents being more proactive and fighting authority (closer to the clue). So while I don't agree with the ruling, I can understand why they accepted it. They've accepted worse. Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 1

I don't mind Niki being aggressive in getting her answers and clue request out because she's on the clock and was behind, but its the little freakouts at the ends of the rounds that have me worried about her. I get that this is a big deal, but I worry if she doesn't win she might freakout big time and I don't want to see her go through with that, or see that go viral. She needs to calm down a little for her own sake.

The James I thing was easy for me, but I've been obsessed with Elizabeth I since childhood so getting 1604 made it very easy. I only figured out the Bible part after I knew the answer. In fact, I've been cleaning up on FJ during the tournament and normally I'm only about 50/50. I've been feeling extra-smart these past few days.

• Love 1

The last game of the semis was all wild card contestants.

I just didn't think that was right (regardless of what the reasoning was).  Each of the champions should have been allowed to compete against a set of wild card contestants, instead of pitting all the champions against each other.

• Love 2

I just didn't think that was right (regardless of what the reasoning was).  Each of the champions should have been allowed to compete against a set of wild card contestants, instead of pitting all the champions against each other.

Especially since there were four wild card contestants. One could argue that the fourth one, the one who competed against two champions, was disadvantaged compared to the other wild-cards, and that the two champions in that game had an advantage.

• Love 1

It wouldn't have worked out evenly since there were 4 wildcard contestants, but it would've been more fair.

• Love 1