Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm weak in science and geography, so I thought tonight's game was pretty easy.  I was surprised no one got Coco Chanel, and Mike - Crockpot?  Really?

Strange wagering - Sadie should never have bet so much on that DD  (all she needed to do was get enough to make it not a runaway), and I don't understand why Mike just didn't bet it all. 

Speaking of Mike - I had to laugh every time he was so surprised when he got one wrong.  I normally don't like dramatic contestants, but he was so good-natured about it.  I would have said Northwest, also.

Speaking of contestants - yeah, Laura's vocal patterns were annoying.  I liked her, anyway. 

'

Edited by mjc570

Thank God there are two weeks before we're subjected to Laura's annoying voice again.  And she's an attorney, a job where she has to do a lot of talking.  Yikes!  When the regular games come back, I'll have to use closed captioning and mute.  Otherwise, I'll throw something at the TV. 

• Love 5

Holy crap, Laura is annoying as hell! I was screaming at my TV for her to STFU. I would have been happy with either Mike or Sadie winning. But noooooo-uh! It was weird vocal fry, Kartrashian, Valley Girl woman.

I had to laugh at LeCreuset. They had one of those dutch ovens for sale on QVC this week and not one single presenter pronounced it correctly. To his credit, Alex did. Oh, and I got that one and Coco Chanel as well as the waaay-uh too easy FJ.

• Love 7

Like Mike, I guessed "Northwest Passage" on that first DD.

The clue mentioned Barents Sea, which I just learned about on Jeopardy! within the last couple of weeks so I knew it was Northeast passage.

I was going to ask here if that was Valley Speak but you all answered it already:)  It was annoying but otherwise I liked her pretty well.  Still, I wish Mike had won because I liked him better.  He had such a good attitude.

I started my usual list of TS's that I got but tonight's was very short - just Pet Shop Boys.

Instaget FJ, it was far too easy.

I look forward to the ToC.

• Love 3

Well, they named the song with Pet Shop Boys, but they are only a duo, so I could see assuming they didn't fit the category. LauraaaaAAA?'s speech patterns made me cringe. Mike and Marcus BOTH one and done!? It's like reliving my dating history in one week!

I may have misheard the FJ clue, because I came up with Jane Eyre.

Looking forward to Matt's pleasant tones to offset LauraaaaAAA? during TOC! Maybe I'll look up a Mike romance.

• Love 3

While watching this episode, I thought: the commenters at PreviouslyTV will not like Laura's speech patterns.

And that is why I love this place! I was so annoyed but I also laughed so hard knowing my Previously peeps would pick up on it too. 

Mike flamed out rather quickly compared to yesterday's play. I liked him and wished he had won.

FJ should have been a $200 clue.

• Love 8

Halfway through the show all I could think was what would everyone here say about the voice. By the end of the show, I was screaming "someone beat her, please!!!!". Now I am just glad I have two weeks to stop the blood flowing out of my ears.

• Love 7

I don't even know if it was vocal fry.  There wasn't a lot of scratchiness.  But it was so pretentious-sounding (even though otherwise she seemed like a nice woman) that I'm going to call it vocal sauté.  At least until I know what the official term for it is.

• Love 7

Ha - I knew y’all were going to lose your collective shit over Laura’s voice.  It didn’t bother me for one episode, but it would bother me sitting on a jury listening to her for days on end, so I’m a bit intrigued that she’s an attorney. And wondering how many episodes before I get annoyed.

It’s an odd vocal tic.  It’s not vocal fry or Valley Girl, because it occurs so specifically rather than throughout her speech, and it’s not uptalk, because she doesn’t phrase statements as a question – she just extends the final syllable when a sentence or question ends with a word that ends in a vowel sound. 

“Wherefore art thou Romeo?” as a DJ clue?  Really?

I love that Pet Shop Boys song, so that TS bummed me out a bit.  Le Creuset surprised me.

It was a good game for me overall; I got most clues correct.

Laura was really slow to get going, so that was a nice come-from-behind win.

I thought I was going to blow FJ, because I’m generally bad in Children’s Lit – it has been a very long time since I read any, so I don’t remember much of it, and I avoid kids like the plague, so I have no current exposure to it.  But it was another “This can’t really be what they’re asking, can it?” moment.

• Love 1

I want to look up Mike's romance novels too, but I worry that he'll have an anonymous pen name.

I wanted to throttle Alex during his interview with Sadie. She's a grad student in ecology. Your knowledge from your your little trip has nothing on her. Let her shine.

Also, I agree with the above about Laura's voice.

• Love 3

It's not only her voice drives me batty, it's the movement of the head side-to-side.  GAH!  The whole package ...  Let's hope she a tax attorney or trusts/estates - one that doesn't have to go to court that often.  Real estate, handles closings.  You only have to listen to her as you sign all the papers.  One can only hope.

• Love 2

Laura is, sadly, not alone in having that annoying speech mannerism. I remember listening to commentary tracks on Wonderfalls and giving up quickly because either Bryan Fuller or Todd Holland did that same drawing out of the last syllable. He combined it with uptalk...it was unbearable. Still love the show, though.

• Love 2

Ha - I knew y’all were going to lose your collective shit over Laura’s voice.  It didn’t bother me for one episode, but it would bother me sitting on a jury listening to her for days on end, so I’m a bit intrigued that she’s an attorney.

I don't know that she does litigation work. She could easily be in transactional work (and statistically should be--there are many many times more transactional lawyers than trial lawyers).

I had Mary Poppins immediately, thought it was way too easy and wondered if it was Amelia Bedelia but stuck with my first choice.

• Love 3

I had Mary Poppins immediately, thought it was way too easy and wondered if it was Amelia Bedelia but stuck with my first choice.

That's exactly where I went too. That was so ridiculously easy that I totally second guessed myself for a second. I don't even think that it would be used for a kids tournament because it was so easy.

• Love 1

There's a character on a show that sounds just like Laura. It isn't Bones I'm thinking of because I don't watch that show, but I spent the entire episode trying to think of who she sounded like.

It was annoying to hear, but I don't think I was as bothered by it as some of you. It bothers me more when men do it, for some reason I can't explain.

• Love 2

I don't even know if it was vocal fry.  There wasn't a lot of scratchiness.  But it was so pretentious-sounding (even though otherwise she seemed like a nice woman) that I'm going to call it vocal sauté.  At least until I know what the official term for it is.

Hee. Vocal sauté will do for now. I didn't notice fry or upspeak, just that extended final syllable. So strange. But she seems like a nice person. 

I was sorry to see Mike go. I liked his sense of humor.

• Love 3

Thank you to the people who already pointed out that it wasn't vocal fry or upspeak....eeeekuh. 

Sad about Mike -- I liked him more and more! And I always like a hometown contestant.

• Love 1

I managed to make it through JOSH!, although I was ready to quit him right away but I refuse to subject myself to Lauraaaah.  Her voice is as annoying to me as Bones, as others have mentioned, but also Sara Sidle on CSI.  Can't wait for TOC!!

I also agree the last two FJ were super easy

• Love 1

I've missed Jeopardy all this week, and only got to see Friday's episode. Once I noticed Laura's MOST IRRITATING and REPETITIVE vocal mannerisms, I was all about having a FJ that someone would have to actually be semi-intelligent to answer so she would tank. No such luck.

Here's hoping she's a one-and-done after TofC.

BTW, Alex Jacob's Twitter has been very active this week during TofC taping. I'm looking forward to watching some brainiacs.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I'd take Lauraaaaa over JOSH! any day. Lauraaaa only annoys me at the end of each senteeeeence. JOSH! ANNOYED! ME! WITH! EVERY! SINGLE! WORD!

Count me in among those who second-guessed their immediate Mary Poppins guess because it seemed too obvious.

• Love 4
I want to look up Mike's romance novels too, but I worry that he'll have an anonymous pen name.

Me too! There was another male contestant who was on for a number of days a while back who was also a romance novelist.  He never did say what his pen name was. You'd kind of think that novelists would be eagerly promoting their work, given national television exposure, but ... not these two guys.

I unashamedly read modern romance novels and would have liked to have been given the chance to try out both Mike and the other guy's books.

Incidentally, I have known two other women who have speech patterns like Laura. Both are/were extremely intelligent and pretentiously intellectual, and I liked them both very much, but how they spoke never did stop driving me insane.

• Love 4

Me too! There was another male contestant who was on for a number of days a while back who was also a romance novelist.  He never did say what his pen name was. You'd kind of think that novelists would be eagerly promoting their work, given national television exposure, but ... not these two guys.

One of my first jobs in publishing was in an allied field to the romance genre.  Most of the men--and there weren't a lot of them--wrote under female assumed names.  Just the opposite of what women had to do to get published in the olden days, ironically.  So that might be why these two guys weren't promoting their titles.  Probably want to preserve the illusion.

Pretentiously intellectual saute. That's a good name for it.

Pretentiously  Intellectual  Sauté Syndrome.  Good name, unfortunate acronym.  ;o

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 4

I unashamedly read modern romance novels and would have liked to have been given the chance to try out both Mike and the other guy's books.

I can't remember the other guy's name, but he did not have a pen name. Found his novel by just googling whatever his name was. Haven't looked for Mike's yet. I think I would be more interested in reading Mike's then the others guys. The other guy kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

To me that sounds like assholes who say "just kidding" when they're called on their bullshit. Except it's JOSH! so I guess it's "JUST KIDDING!"

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

I just went back through the thread to find out who JOSH lost to and it was someone named Dean, and since I don't remember him I'd say he was not more annoying that JOSH since that is what he apparently wanted. Ugh he is such a dick, I'm sorry I even clicked on his FB page because I don't want to give him the satisfaction of clicks.

T - 4 hours to Laura. I'm petrified of what I'm going to hear, since Kerry's voice made my ears twitch and it sounds like Laura is way worse.

• Love 2

Don't worry Mojoween!  Laura may not be that bad tonight.  The bleeding from my eardrums caused by her voice on November 6 did eventually clear up - I heard most of the TOC.  Tis the season of holiday miracles so anything is possible.  Seriously, if Kerry bothered you, have earplugs ready.

• Love 1

Spoiler alert: Her voice hasn't changed. ;-)  It's a lot more tolerable in the interview, though, so I think her speech pattern might only grate in the context of the game, where she must say very short phrases instead of long sentences.

I'm sorry I even clicked on his FB page because I don't want to give him the satisfaction of clicks.

Good news, personal FB pages don't let the person know the number of clicks.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 3