Type keyword(s) to search

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

I caved and read some spoilers too. I hope the one I read was accurate because according to it

Steve doesn't die like he does in the comics, thank merciful Jesus. So now there's still hope that he'll get a shirtless scene in one of the next movies. Especially since it looks like he will finally lose that pesky virginity at some point.

If someone wants to confirm or deny this spoiler, I won't mind. ;)

• Love 3

I haven't seen it personally, but I've been creeping the Reddit threads shamelessly after the first stirrings were reported by people who saw the premiere.

Valerie, 

I was sad when I saw that, and RDJ is just amazing throughout the movie, I felt his loneliness and his sadness. But I also feel that their breakup actually makes sense and is a continuation of their story from Iron Man 3, which Age of Ultron totally ignored. In IM3, Tony destroys all his Iron Man suits for himself and for Pepper. But then we get Ultron where he's back with the Avengers and his bigger better suits as well. I know I read some complaints on the internet about the fact that this wasn't addressed in Ulton. And then at the end of Ultron when Tony drives away from Steve, I thought that meant he was walking away from the Avengers and maybe just paying for everything but not actually suiting up or making more suits for himself. In this movie he addresses this, and it makes sense to me from a character point of view(there was a great line Tony says), but I was really sad too because I love Tony and Pepper. I wanted to start crying during that part but again I told myself to act like an adult and remember these are fictional people.

I caved and read some spoilers too. I hope the one I read was accurate because according to it

Steve doesn't die like he does in the comics, thank merciful Jesus. So now there's still hope that he'll get a shirtless scene in one of the next movies. Especially since it looks like he will finally lose that pesky virginity at some point.

If someone wants to confirm or deny this spoiler, I won't mind. ;)

Spartan Girl 

Steve doesn't die!!! Rejoice. Lol on the virginity comment

• Love 3

dkb,

Oh Thank God!  I was so worried about that!  Spoil me! does anyone other than Peggy die?

scriggle, 

King T'Chaka dies, but I think everyone kind of figured that out from the trailer. No one from our heroes dies, but someone is very very hurt. But I think the movie is still so emotional without having someone die. This to me personally, shows how well the movie was written, directed and acted. There are consequences for everyone because of this fight.  

scriggle, 

King T'Chaka dies, but I think everyone kind of figured that out from the trailer. No one from our heroes dies, but someone is very very hurt. But I think the movie is still so emotional without having someone die. This to me personally, shows how well the movie was written, directed and acted. There are consequences for everyone because of this fight.  

Thank you!  I can live with that.  Why do I still have to wait 3 weeks to see it?

• Love 2

Great review from Drew McWeeny at HitFix:

omg.  It's going to be a looonnng 18 days.  We're watching for presale tickets to come out and we will see it on opening night.

Should I be embarrassed to be a 46 yr. old woman who is still crazy about these Marvel movies after all of these years?  Because I'm really not embarrassed at all.....  :)

• Love 11
Valerie, on 16 Apr 2016 - 2:48 PM, said:Valerie, on 16 Apr 2016 - 2:48 PM, said:

I'm so upset because 

Pepper and Tony have broken up. It stings especially since Empire mistakenly reported that Pepper was actually going to be in the movie after test audiences asked where she was and they did reshoots. So, apparently the audience asked and the writers were like 'Oh, shit, uh, they broke up?' GDI. Those two were the most long-standing relationship in the entire MCU.

Paltrow is gone? PALTROW IS GONE!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, this has been making the rounds on the Interwebs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG8UMkP8N8M

Here's the full version of the song (and I would love it if someone could direct me toward some roughly translated lyrics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbo-3kHqE48

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1

Argghhhh, y'all are killing me with these spoiler tags! I'm still trying to decide if I want to go in totally unspoiled and risk sobbing in a theater or if I want to know everything ahead of time so I can be prepared emotionally. This changes hourly.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 7

Let me put it this way: I've never regretted seeing a good movie unspoiled and being surprised. And by all accounts this is a very good movie.

If I have the sense that a movie is going to be a crapfest but I'm still interested in seeing it (as with the Snyder DC movies), it helps to find out everything I possibly can going in so I can brace myself.

• Love 2

omg.  It's going to be a looonnng 18 days.  We're watching for presale tickets to come out and we will see it on opening night.

Should I be embarrassed to be a 46 yr. old woman who is still crazy about these Marvel movies after all of these years?  Because I'm really not embarrassed at all.....  :)

Not embarrassing at all. We already bought our tickets for Sunday May 8, which happens to be Mother's Day. Which is the best way I can think of spending the day. I don't want to be in a crowded restaurant or have flowers that will wilt. I want to be in a theater with other fans seeing this. And, I should also note, my mom (65) is also joining us--she's totally team Tony. Happy Mother's Day to us!!

• Love 4

Paltrow is gone? PALTROW IS GONE!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, this has been making the rounds on the Interwebs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG8UMkP8N8M

Here's the full version of the song (and I would love it if someone could direct me toward some roughly translated lyrics)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbo-3kHqE48

I don’t like Paltrow, but I loved her Pepper and her chemistry with RDJ. Whenever she did crazy Goop shit I would just remember how much I love her Pepper.

I knew my j-pop obsession would one day redeem me, so here's an English translation of the song 'Itsuka Kitto' By EXILE used in the Japanese Civil War spot you linked.

• Love 1

I've not seen the movie yet but I'd be rather surprised if 

Pepper was written out in a way that can't be reeled back, if they want to. Like, Tony says they broke up or had a fight, but in typical Tony fashion, he suggests she'll forgive him at some point.

I could be wrong, of course. It just seems wasteful and an odd choice to close that avenue down too firmly.

I'm going to have to be careful with this thread soon. I won't get to see the movie for another month or so. It comes out in the UK the day I go to New York (great timing!), and I don't think I'll have any time to go and see it over there, so it'll have to wait until I'm back home.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

Bummer! Tony and Pepper were probably my favorite MCU movie couple, I really didn't care about any of the others (Bruce/Natasha? Blech! Jane and Thor? Snooze! Peggy and Steve were OK though, but mostly because of the tragic aspect). I also liked Pepper herself so I hope she's not going to be written out for good like Jane. 

• Love 2
Valerie, on 19 Apr 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:Valerie, on 19 Apr 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

I don’t like Paltrow, but I loved her Pepper and her chemistry with RDJ. Whenever she did crazy Goop shit I would just remember how much I love her Pepper.

I knew my j-pop obsession would one day redeem me, so here's an English translation of the song 'Itsuka Kitto' By EXILE used in the Japanese Civil War spot you linked.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!  And, now that I understand the lyrics, I can see why it was chosen for that trailer.

Why can't we Americans have songs like this on our superhero trailers (besides keeping fanboys and other types of men away in droves)?

I expect Marvel to insensitively make fun of it at some point.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1

I understand, Cap! I have strong feelings about red, white and blue sprinkle donuts, too. (To be fair, I have strong feelings about sprinkles in general. Strong feelings that they are AWESOME!)

Elizabeth Olsen in the background through the whole thing was great.

• Love 6

Nerdist review:

Captain America: Civil War feels very refreshing because there isn’t some massive alien entity or evil industrialist or Hydra-guided conspiracy to contend with. It’s the machinations of a small group that culminates in a big, enormous battle with friends fighting friends because of a difference of belief, a shifting of ideals. If Age of Ultron began the fissure between Cap and Tony, this movie changes it into a deep chasm, the likes of which maybe neither of them can handle. Everybody has the right idea about something, but there’s no agreement, no harmony. It’s painful to watch these friends literally come to blows, but it’s to the movie’s credit that you don’t inherently take one’s side over the other.

• Love 1

Saw the movie last night, and I won't spoil it for anybody, but will just say it was awesome!

Loved the new characters, loved the complexities of the whole debate, there really was no right/wrong here...

At the moment it is in my top 3 MCU films...

• Love 7

Saw it tonight and was - well, a bit disappointed. Is reaction without concrete plot points spoilers? I'll spoiler tag just in case.

Spoiler

If it had been an Avengers movie I think I would've loved it, but I came in to see a Captain America movie and feel a bit cheated. I mean, I'm not completely surprised since we knew there were going to be a whole bunch of other people there, but still. It almost felt like there was more focus on Tony Stark than on Steve, even.

It wasn't bad, and it was certainly better than Ultron, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

(I did cheer at seeing Chadwick Boseman, though.)

Edited by Schweedie
5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Do paraphrase the great philosopher Phoebe Buffay, "Do you really want to be in a relationship with someone who can say, 'That's not how your Great Aunt did it.'?"

Haha, that is the exact sentence that went through my mind during that kiss. It was only the reactions of Sam and Bucky that was able to save that moment...

• Love 2

Haven't seen the movie yet but I have seen a bootlegged scene on Tumblr. When I first heard Marisa Tomei was cast as Aunt May I thought "Well, maybe they're going to dress her down like Diane Lane in Man of Steel. They're not going to have her be ridiculously hot."

I was wrong.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 5:24 PM, Spartan Girl said:

So the

Reveal hidden contents

Steve and Sharon kiss

has already been gifed on Tumblr.

http://courtneysmovieblog.tumblr.com/post/143551482409/gwenfckay-thank-you-sharon-youre-all-so

Well done, Emily Van Camp. Well done.

Well, that was about as smoldering as an ice cube.  Not enough of Sharon in the previous movie to elicit care about their relationship, at least for me.  More concerned about Black Widow, frankly.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

I saw it yesterday, and thought it was pretty great. Not my favourite Marvel movie, but it's up there.

Some SPOILERY thoughts:

• Spoiler

• Tom Holland as Spidey is great, and I'm actually looking forward to his movie now, even with a script from the Horrible Bosses/Vacation guys.
    • Chadwick Boseman is very good too, as Black Panther. Incredibly commanding presence, and one I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. He's a lot more serious and less quippy than their other solo heroes, so it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.
    • GIANT-MAN! Rudd was great with the little he had to do.
    • That entire airport fight was brilliant. I liked that it was clear they were pulling their punches somewhat nobody was trying to kill anyone else, it was just a capture/escape situation.
    • The reveal about Tony's parents probably didn't need to be a twist; I remember people theorising it as soon as Winter Soldier was announced years ago, and it's fairly obvious from early on in the movie.
    • Interesting how the movie does a bait-and-switch on the third act: it sets up that Cap and Tony will put aside their differences for a big Third Act Battle against a bunch of super-soldiers, then nope! They're already dead and completely unimportant, and Tony is angrier at Steve than ever.
    • Wanda and Vision were great.
    • The movie had the correct amount of Hawkeye (almost none).
    • I'm glad they didn't kill Rhodey.
    • Tony's going to need some new Avengers for Infinity War. I'm guessing Captain Marvel and Dr. Strange will be on the team, but I wouldn't be surprised if they add another few new characters too, to replace all the Avengers gone after this movie.

On 29/4/2016 at 8:46 AM, VCRTracking said:

Haven't seen the movie yet but I have seen a bootlegged scene on Tumblr. When I first heard Marisa Tomei was cast as Aunt May I thought "Well, maybe they're going to dress her down like Diane Lane in Man of Steel. They're not going to have her be ridiculously hot."

I was wrong.

She's good with what little she has, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her in the Spider-Man movie. It's weird that she's billed above Tom Holland in the end credits though.

• Love 1
(edited)

About Steve and Sharon, what made the relationship work in the comics is when Mark Waid brought Sharon back after years where she was presumed dead, she was now angry at Steve for not rescuing her when she was held prisoner. She forgave him but their relationship was now as just friends until Ed Brubaker's run where they became romantically involved again but this time Sharon could treat Steve as a regular person. She didn't have this reverence of him as a living legend anymore. It's what made Natasha so appealing as a possible love interest in TWS because she didn't either. Also as Mark Waid said about Steve and Sharon: "The reason she works so well with Cap is because she's a complete cynic and he's a complete idealist." But that role of cynic is now taken by Natasha.

Edited by VCRTracking

I know Sharon didn't have a huge role in TWS, but I thought her plot arc was being betrayed by SHIELD (in a less extreme/dramatic way than Steve, Natasha, and Fury) and thus having a reason to be jaded and angry. I'm not saying that everyone found peace at the end of that movie, but she was the only one aggressively hitting up the shooting range, so I can see how she could play the cynic to Steve's idealist in Civil War (although I agree that Natasha is the better candidate since she and her relationship with Steve are far more developed at this point.)

• Love 1

For those of you who have seen the movie, a slight favor: without spoiling anything, if I really dislike the Tony Stark character, how maddening will I find this movie on a scale of 1 to 10? The answer dictates whether I rush out to see it next weekend or wait a few weeks!

21 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

For those of you who have seen the movie, a slight favor: without spoiling anything, if I really dislike the Tony Stark character, how maddening will I find this movie on a scale of 1 to 10? The answer dictates whether I rush out to see it next weekend or wait a few weeks!

I hate to be that person, but could the response to this also be spoilered?

1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

Hard to say, as Tony's different in this movie than in the others. It depends what you hate about him.

6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

About Steve and Sharon, what made the relationship work in the comics is when Mark Waid brought Sharon back after years where she was presumed dead, she was now angry at Steve for not rescuing her when she was held prisoner. She forgave him but their relationship was now as just friends until Ed Brubaker's run where they became romantically involved again but this time Sharon could treat Steve as a regular person. She didn't have this reverence of him as a living legend anymore. It's what made Natasha so appealing as a possible love interest in TWS because she didn't either. Also as Mark Waid said about Steve and Sharon: "The reason she works so well with Cap is because she's a complete cynic and he's a complete idealist." But that role of cynic is now taken by Natasha.

Yeah I just don't care about Sharon Carter at all.  

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

I saw it yesterday, and thought it was pretty great. Not my favourite Marvel movie, but it's up there.

Some SPOILERY thoughts:

•   Hide contents

• The movie had the correct amount of Hawkeye (almost none).

Go to 2:38 for my reaction.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Jazzy24 said:

Yeah I just don't care about Sharon Carter at all.  

She's worth caring about in the comics. In the MCU though?  They just may not have done the right amount of spade work to get people to care.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

Well then apparently you're going to hate the new Spider-Man movie too...

Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man to appear in Spider-Man: Homecoming

I really wish Sharon had Natasha's role in Winter Soldier so they could build their relationship more, but even if she was downgraded to a minor character I still liked her. I mean, she stood with the SHIELD tech guy and saved him from Brownlow. That's worthy of caring about

But I guess I'm in the minority because of my fondness for Emily VanCamp -- who does not deserve the crap she's been getting from angers shippers and trolls on social media. I just hope the Russos give her more buildup in Civil War and Avengers: Infinity Wars.

• Love 4
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I just hope the Russos give her more buildup in Civil War and Avengers: Infinity Wars.

The logical place to use her is wherever Nick Fury next shows up (and apparently the Russos have said that Maria Hill is going to be in... whatever that is too). 

Infinity War almost sounds like the wrong kind of story for S.H.I.E.L.D. (even the Nick Fury non-TV one), unless they're going with the version of things where S.W.O.R.D. (kind of the "Space S.H.I.E.L.D.") is involved, and then I'd expect the character of Abigail Brand sooner than ANY of them.

The Black Panther movie sounds like it might be the other big possibility (of Fury at least). Who knows if Sharon can be roped into that or not?

Edited by Kromm
7 hours ago, Kromm said:

The logical place to use her is wherever Nick Fury next shows up (and apparently the Russos have said that Maria Hill is going to be in... whatever that is too). 

Apparently SLJ is confirmed for Thor 3, which seems an odd fit.

Infinity War almost sounds like the wrong kind of story for S.H.I.E.L.D. (even the Nick Fury non-TV one), unless they're going with the version of things where S.W.O.R.D. (kind of the "Space S.H.I.E.L.D.") is involved, and then I'd expect the character of Abigail Brand sooner than ANY of them.

Abigail Brand and SWORD are X-Men-related (created by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday), so they don't have the rights.

Well, that was about as smoldering as an ice cube.  Not enough of Sharon in the previous movie to elicit care about their relationship, at least for me.  More concerned about Black Widow, frankly.

Agreed.  If they can't come up with a better love interest, I'd prefer they keep it off screen.  I don't know if it's the actress or just the movie interpretation of the character but she's just so blah.   Or maybe it's because I've had so much exposure to Haley Atwell's dynamic "Peggy Carter" and I can't help the comparisons.   In the comics Sharon is far from a favorite of mine but she had an intriguing and gripping role in Ed Brubaker's run, it just didn't transfer to the screen as well.   While Natasha's role in the CA movies (like the comics) have been a welcomed addition.

Her friendship and rapport with Steve Rogers interest me far more then the tepid encounters he has with Sharon.

• Love 3
On 01/05/2016 at 11:42 PM, stealinghome said:

As someone else said upthread it definitely depends on what you hate about him. I am mostly neutral on Tony, and could actually side with him on some points in this movie. He didn't grate nearly as much as he did in Iron Man 2 or Avengers:AOU (my opinion, YMMV...)

• Love 2

I just got back, and it was terrible. Every single person who understood the issues was wrong. Did they have to hire a toddler for Spidey? Martin Freeman continues to be miscast in everything he does. The fight scenes were incoherent. This is three terrible Marvel movies in a row, and Dr Strange doesn't look any better either. At least I went on cheaparse Tuesday.

Spoiler

There wasn't even an ending, they chucked in a cliffhanger. What happened to giving viewers a complete experience? If you make a good movie, they will want to come back for another one. You don't need to mess with them like that.

(edited)

Well I'll still take Drax's word for it.

Dave Bautista ‏@DaveBautista May 1

Holy crap @CaptainAmerica was awesome!

Dave Bautista ‏@DaveBautista May 1

Seriously @CaptainAmerica Civil War is one geekgasm after another! So well done it's annoying that we have to follow them up. Pressures on!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8