Type keyword(s) to search

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

May 5th, 2016, to be specific, if the footage from the trailer shown at this year's D23 Expo is to be believed, but I digress. Anyway, this is the thread for the third Captain America film, which is about among other things, the Superhero Registration Act, how Cap & Iron Man end up on opposite sides of the debate  and the infighting that follows, hence "Civil War."

Edited by DollEyes

One more thing for me to look forward to on December 21st, then.

Honestly, this movie is all about the Winter Soldier for me. If he gets shortchanged, I will be pissed. And I've a feeling that's going to happen, because Marvel are starting to overstuff their movies, both with characters and with endless CGI action scenes.

• Love 2

I'm just excited for more Emily Van Camp as Sharon Carter/Agent 13. I hope she's a bigger character. If nothing else, I want at least one shirtless scene for Steve.

Personally, I think they should gone with Brubaker's comic book run for this story. Where Steve and Sharon went searching for Bucky after he regained his memories and disappeared. It wouldn't be hard to set up, and it would be so much more emotionally satisfying than being asked to care about whatever they're trying to do with Civil War. Show the movie from their point of view, and from Bucky's. Bring Crossbones back as a villain, along with Zemo as another shadowy mastermind figure who Bucky is trying to stop. It's not rocket science.

Falcon could be along for the ride. As they decided to scrap the Natasha/Bucky backstory, much to my disappointment, she wouldn't need to be in the movie. And honestly, that's the approach they should take: 'what does this movie need'. Not 'what would the fanboys want?'

The Civil War story in the comics got its emotional resonance from the entire, rich, storied comic book continuity. Of long established characters and friends fighting one another, of unlikely alliances and betrayals. It worked because readers had spent years caring about Cap and Stark and Pym and everyone else. I just can't see it having anywhere near the same impact. I thought they weren't making it about the Superhero Registration Act? There's less than ten of them in the world, as far as the movie universe goes. Who's going to register? And for what purpose? Everyone knows who Cap and Iron Man are, Thor is an alien with no secret identity, and neither Clint nor Natasha are superpowered, the Vision is a robot. So is this all about Scarlet Witch filling in the right forms?

• Love 2

I'm just excited for more Emily Van Camp as Sharon Carter/Agent 13. I hope she's a bigger character. If nothing else, I want at least one shirtless scene for Steve.

I just want the poor old dude to get laid. I'm way too invested in Steve losing his virginity.

I also love EVP and hope she gets lots to do, I think there's a lot of potential in the role.

• Love 4

I just want the poor old dude to get laid. I'm way too invested in Steve losing his virginity.

Steve performed for months alongside a whole touring company of showgirls while looking like that. I'm not at all convinced he was a virgin just because Peggy Carter was his first love. Hell, some of the vibe Sebastian Stan injected in their scenes at the start of the first movie made me wonder if Bucky might not have done the honors back when he was still little Steve from Brooklyn.

• Love 4

Steve performed for months alongside a whole touring company of showgirls while looking like that. I'm not at all convinced he was a virgin just because Peggy Carter was his first love. Hell, some of the vibe Sebastian Stan injected in their scenes at the start of the first movie made me wonder if Bucky might not have done the honors back when he was still little Steve from Brooklyn.

You know what? I like your second theory. Dudes being dudes being bros and breaking each other in is an American tradition.

• Love 1

Steve performed for months alongside a whole touring company of showgirls while looking like that.

I'd been thinking the same thing about his virginity, but never thought of the show girls.  Or Bucky for that matter  :)

Honestly, this movie is all about the Winter Soldier for me. If he gets shortchanged, I will be pissed. And I've a feeling that's going to happen, because Marvel are starting to overstuff their movies, both with characters and with endless CGI action scenes.

I love all of the Marvel characters and am always happy to see them, but I have to agree with this.  Bucky/Winter Soldier is my favorite villain so far and I want to see this story line develop on it's own without too many other distractions.

Steve performed for months alongside a whole touring company of showgirls while looking like that. I'm not at all convinced he was a virgin just because Peggy Carter was his first love.

Steve's reaction to Natalie Dormer later in the movie, among other things, seems like a pretty strong indicator he hasn't had sex.

• Love 1

Steve's reaction to Natalie Dormer later in the movie, among other things, seems like a pretty strong indicator he hasn't had sex.

Well the marvel cinematic universe uses Earth 616 character traits and one of those for Steve was that he was the American ideal. And during that time a man wasn't supposed to have sex prior to marriage. How illilogical an ideal that may be that was an ideal for both men and women. There were consequences for a woman who had sex prior to marriage if it become known in the community. Hence why girls were sent away to special schools to deal with the consequence if they got pregnant but weren't going to marry a man to either be the father in the eyes of the community or is the biological father,

Nah, everyone reacts to Natalie Dormer like that.

Honestly, I'd imagine that he is a virgin. He had no luck with the women Bucky set him up with, he never got to second base with Peggy, and if he was spending his time sleeping with showgirls, I doubt his drawings would all be miserable pastiches of a monkey in the Captain America costume.

Steve was that he was the American ideal. And during that time a man wasn't supposed to have sex prior to marriage. How illilogical an ideal that may be that was an ideal for both men and women.

While comic book Steve has had his fair share of romantic liaisons, with varying degrees of seriousness, I definitely agree that movie Steve is not a guy who would be comfortable with casual sex, nor even sex outside a steady relationship. As for it being logical, I'd say that when society was geared to shun women who did have sex outside marriage, it's completely sensible not to do it. It goes against desires, and perhaps against biological sense, but you have to live with the logic of your society, or you risk being ostracised. And if women can't sleep with anyone but their husband, then men can't sleep with anyone but their wife.

Not that everyone did respect society's rules, of course. I'm sure that Bucky wasn't just taking those girls out dancing then walking them home, and Howard Stark didn't keep it in his pants either. But they both represent different archetypes to Steve.

• Love 4

There was also his conversation with Peggy about how he's waiting for the right partner, which implies that he doesn't have a casual attitude toward sex.  (Yes, the subject was dancing, but people in that period where entirely capable of using euphemisms.)  I suspect Steve in the modern era would not hold out for marriage, but he would want the commitment of a partnership.  And, as with Natalie Dormer, you'd probably have the woman putting the moves on him.

HOLY HELL. Although I'm disappointed we don't see Sharon/Agent 13 yet. She'd better be in the next trailer.

I see General Ross is still a dick. Kind of hoping Natasha at least gets to punch him in the face for all the shit he put Bruce through.

"Sometimes I want to punch you in your perfect teeth," LMAO!!!

I liked it.

My initial gut reaction is that I'll be siding with Ironman/Tony Stark but I can get where Steve is coming from too.  Glad to see Falcon and REALLY glad that Natasha seems to have a sizeable role (though you can't tell by the trailer always) since I really love what the CA movies do for her character.    Winter Soldier was my favorite use of the character and I'm willing to trust these writers and bet I'll love the character even more after CA:CW.

• Love 1

Two against one? That seems a bit unfair for Tony. I hope Rhodey's alright!

Team Ironman, solely because I've enjoyed Tony's entire MCU arc. I think he's the most developed. We've watched him go from irresponsible to more responsible to backsliding to moving forward again (and making lots of mistakes). I've just enjoyed his character immensely. So tired of all the hate he gets on Tumblr.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 3

I originally came to the Marvel movies for RDJr and stayed for Chris Evans. While I still adore Downey and Iron Man, Team Cap all the way.

Apropos of nothing ... Winter Soldier felt very timely - Black Widow = Snowden in releasing Shield's dirty secrets, transparency, etc. And now Civil War does as well, what with certain people suggesting that a specific segment of the population register with the government, etc. Merely an observation, not looking to start a huge debate.

• Love 4

I guess I will just have to live with it. I can't go on a trailer blackout because when I go to other movies I will be sitting in a movie theatre wondering why they gave that away. The movie is already pre-sold, even those just coming of age will use the previous MCU product as their trailer.

Seeing the Falcon's wings it seems that beyond the Captain's "uniform" the MCU, or at least the Avengers and not TV's Agents of SHIELD and NetFlix's enhanced people, is going towards the bright four color  comic's schemes for the super heroes and away from more functional camouflaging colors first pioneered in the X-Men series.

I can't wait!  That looks so good, but I hate to see him and Tony arguing, even though I understand both sides.  Wasn't Ant-Man supposed to make an appearance in it, too? (Not that I care one way or another, although I did enjoy Ant-man).

On a shallow note:  This is the best Scarlett Johannson has ever looked (in these movies), imo--I love this hairstyle.

• Love 1

My verdict: loved it! If the trailer's that great, then chances are the movie will be even better. While I heart Iron Man and he does have a point about playing by the rules, this time I'm Team Stucky, because Bucky was HYDRA's bitch for 70 years against his will, so while he's done terrible things, he had no choice in the matter. Of course, Stuckey's pure, slashy goodness doesn't hurt.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2

The teaser trailer makes me feel that this will indeed be a Captain America movie and not Avengers 2.5 and that makes me very, very, very happy.  I always adored the relationship between Steve and Bucky (which is probably why Winter Solider  is my favorite film in the MCU).

I liked the little glimpse we got of Black Panther and I simply adore Falcon’s new suit (nice nod to the comics).  And of course Cap in his scale armor is always a plus. 

TEAM CAP!

I'm so here for Ironman getting his ass beat.

Is it just me, or Sebeastian Stan is HOT AS HELL in this trailer?

Not just you; so many attractive men to look at.

Hmmm okay, I'll be leaving the shallow end now.

• Love 5

They could just call this Captain America: FEELS. 

This looks amazing, and it must come now. I love Tony, but I am totally on Team Cap. And I am always on Team Bucky/Steve. They have my favorite friendship in the MCU, and I am so thrilled to see how much we are going to get of it. 

I am going to cry in this theater, I swear it. 

• Love 2

Some days I feel so sad, because I feel like I'm one of the 5 people who are Team Ironman compared to Cap. *sighs*

It probably doesn't help that I hold a few unpopular opinions. I like Bucky. I love his friendship with Steve. I just find him (and Black Widow) to be overrated. I just can't get behind the complete fandom worship of these two characters.

* forever waving my Team Tony flag in a a very lonely corner of the universe*

Also, if Rhodey ends up dead due to something Bucky or Cap did, then they're forever dead to me. I love Rhodey.

• Love 4

I really hope Hawkeye gets his real due in Civil WarCaptain America Winter Soldier helped establish that while not at the power level of Thor or Hulk when Cap and Black Widow are facing more down-to-Earth threats(and not aliens or killer robots) , their skill sets make each pretty damn impressive. Unfortunately while Hawkeye was in the original script he got taken out. Then Age of Ultron made Hawkeye's seeming superfluousness an actual plot point. He got some good moments like taking out Scarlet Witch with his electro arrow but later had him say facing an army of robots with a bow and arrow was pretty insane. On top of that giving him a family to humanize him only angered the Clintasha shippers who mainly liked him for that. There are also fans who wanted him to be like the character as written by Matt Fraction in the comics. The unmarried "Jim Rockford" style mess of a human being who does the right thing with the dog named Pizza and the spunky teen girl protege. *Ironically the new Jessica Jones series with it's misanthropic lead with a screwed up lovelife and colorful supporting cast is what people want out of Hawkeye*  Also Jeremy Renner didn't win any favors with his ill advised "Black Widow is a slut" joke during the press tours. It pretty much turned a large section of the fanbase against him who now want Hawkeye to either die in Civil War or have as little role as possible. Yeah he can be an ass but the incredibly sweet tweetpics of him and his daughter make me think he's not a total tool.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

Bring Crossbones back as a villain, along with Zemo as another shadowy mastermind figure who Bucky is trying to stop. It's not rocket science.

(Snip)

The Civil War story in the comics got its emotional resonance from the entire, rich, storied comic book continuity. Of long established characters and friends fighting one another, of unlikely alliances and betrayals. It worked because readers had spent years caring about Cap and Stark and Pym and everyone else. I just can't see it having anywhere near the same impact. I thought they weren't making it about the Superhero Registration Act? There's less than ten of them in the world, as far as the movie universe goes. Who's going to register? And for what purpose? Everyone knows who Cap and Iron Man are, Thor is an alien with no secret identity, and neither Clint nor Natasha are superpowered, the Vision is a robot. So is this all about Scarlet Witch filling in the right forms?

If you dissect the trailer, the scene where Steve is facing down a masked guy with a machine gun, I believe the dude in the mask is Crossbones.

And for all intents and purposes, in the larger context of the MCU and all adjacent properties across Sony and Netflix, there are more than 10.  There's also Spidey, as well as the four Netflix Defenders, plus all of the Inhumans out there that Coulson is dealing with.  And let's be honest, this is all just dramatic buildup for Infinity Wars. 

Also Jeremy Renner didn't win any favors with his ill advised "Black Widow is a slut" joke during the press tours. It pretty much turned a large section of the fanbase against him

What fanbase would that be? Anyone who had been paying attention to the negative comments about Black Widow would have realized he was mocking the negative comments. 

Edited by nobodyyoucare
  • Love 1

I saw that as well but we're in the era of "Your fave is problematic" in social media where unless a celebrity is a "perfect cinnamon roll" as they say on Tumblr you're forever a garbage human being.

Edited by VCRTracking

Some days I feel so sad, because I feel like I'm one of the 5 people who are Team Ironman compared to Cap. *sighs*

It probably doesn't help that I hold a few unpopular opinions. I like Bucky. I love his friendship with Steve. I just find him (and Black Widow) to be overrated. I just can't get behind the complete fandom worship of these two characters.

* forever waving my Team Tony flag in a a very lonely corner of the universe*

Also, if Rhodey ends up dead due to something Bucky or Cap did, then they're forever dead to me. I love Rhodey.

I'm actually am not a fan of Bucky at all, I think I prefer him as the Winter Soldier.

It's more that I love Steve more than I do Tony but I do love myTony Stark.

But Bucky and Steve fighting Tony and Tony saying "So was I" almost had me switching teams. I'm not really in favor tho of my Avengers fighting.

• Love 1

I saw that as well but we're in the era of "Your fave is problematic" in social media where unless a celebrity is a "perfect cinnamon roll" as they say on Tumblr you're forever a garbage human being.

It applies to characters too. I had to stop browsing the Avengers tags on Tumblr around when AoU came out, and even before then because of how posts were about Tony being the scum of the earth, etc. It's already starting up again. From hating him in the comics, to the movies, and the actor, it's too much for me. I had to bail.

They're already hacking on Tony about the "friends" comment. I know some of it's aimed at Whedon for not building up their friendship enough, but I'm just facepalming at some of the stuff. Like, I get it, but I can see why Tony would call Steve his friend, the same as Steve probably considers Tony a friend. I mean, they're not best of friends, but they've been through enough together where there's some degree of friendship between them.

I love Steve too; I just personally don't find him to be as interesting as a character.

• Love 2

My issue with the line about Tony also being Steve's friend is that there is a huge difference in the friendship between Tony and Steve and Steve and Bucky. Steve gets back his best friend from childhood, the only person left (other than Peggy who isn't doing well) who remembers him before he was Captain America. That's just one part of it. They didn't do a good job of establishing Tony and Steve's friendship in the movies but even if they had it still doesn't reach the level of friendship Steve and Bucky have.

• Love 6