Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

'Who's the Boss? Revival in the Works, Starring Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano'

The sequel series, which will be shopped to networks and streaming services by producers Sony Pictures Television, will take place 30 years later, with Milano’s Samantha now grown up and a single mother, living in the same house as the original series. The new take “will explore generational differences, as well as opposing world views and parenting styles within the dynamic of a modern family in 2020.”

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

I could have sworn that Danza was on the #MeToo naughty list. And didn't Milano have some bad experiences with him? Maybe he just ran his mouth off about politics or something.

I don't really think so.  Or if there is, it doesn't come up easily.

Although last year he did give articles about why a reboot wouldn't happen (no Mona) and now he's for it so he could be accused of waffling.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Anduin said:

And didn't Milano have some bad experiences with him?

Not that have ever been publicized, and the cast remains close.

No way I'd watch this without Judith Light.  And how are they going to explain Angela's absence, when the house Samantha is now living in is hers? 

If this gets picked up, I hope producers do indeed find a way to "work [her and Jonathan] in" because after the eight years we saw, and the sweet way things ended, it would suck if Tony and Angela hadn't worked out in the long term.  Even if Judith Light doesn't want to commit to more than a few appearances, and we hardly ever see Jonathan (since Danny Pintauro could NOT act once he became a teenager and thus hasn't done much since), I'd want the family intact.

If they did something to honor Mona (since Katherine Helmond is dead), I'd tune in for that; she was a great character.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

If they did something to honor Mona (since Katherine Helmond is dead), I'd tune in for that; she was a great character.

Given that she was the main reason I watched the show I'm not too interested in a reboot. I'm also sick of reboots so there's that too. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Given that she was the main reason I watched the show I'm not too interested in a reboot. I'm also sick of reboots so there's that too. 

Bingo! Katherine Helmond was the only reason I ever watched more than one episode of that crapfest. She was the only reason it was even remotely watchable.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Judith Light has a pretty full dance card according to IMDB so I can see her passing.

Yep.  I think she'd appear but I can't see her wanting to commit to a regular gig when she is getting diverse opportunities both on TV and on stage.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Yep.  I think she'd appear but I can't see her wanting to commit to a regular gig when she is getting diverse opportunities both on TV and on stage.

And in her 70's, no less. It's pretty cool. Transparent really revived her career.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

And in her 70's, no less. It's pretty cool. Transparent really revived her career.

I think it's hard to say.  I'd maybe argue her career kicked up a notch again with Ugly Betty (although she was always working.) She went from that regular gig to doing three straight Broadway plays which had decent runs for plays.  She was nominated for three Tonys and won two of them in that four year span, did multiple episodes on the Dallas reboot and then went into Transparent.

• Love 10

I'm watching Taxi on Hulu and Tony Danza is not a good actor. I mean, he's supposed to be playing a meathead, but it's not much different that Who's The Boss Tony. 

Who's The Boss was in my demo for the age of Milano at the time, so I had a good reason to watch. I can't remember much of anything overly funny except Mona being a horn dog and Tony seeing Angela come out of the shower that one time. (Which apparently she went full starkers and didn't tell him). 

A lot of these mid 80s-90s shows worked due to the context of their times, and I don't know if 'seeing what the characters are up to' is really enough of a stake for a new show. I guess they're assuming the demo like me is going to tune in, but I have loads of options for original content for what I'm paying, and I can't see paying for another service for nostalgia is going to make my life suddenly fulfilled. Sitting out on the porch with pets is taking up a lot of that. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 5

I don't know how I missed ever hearing about this parody last year, but now the dramatic take on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air may end up being a series for real:

The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air is making a dark return with Bel-Air, an hourlong series based on Morgan Cooper’s popular fan film that reenvisions the 1990s Will Smith sitcom as a drama. The project, from Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith’s Westbrook Studios and Universal Television, is currently being pitched to streamers, drawing strong interest and big commitments, including multiple straight-to-series orders, to set up a bidding war, I hear.

Cooper will direct and co-executive produce the potential series, which he is co-writing with Chris Collins (The Man in the High Castle, The Wire). Collins is an executive producer and showrunner.

Set in modern-day America, Bel-Air is a serialized one-hour dramatic analogue of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air that leans into the original premise: Will’s complicated journey from the streets of West Philadelphia to the gated mansions of Bel-Air. With a reimagined vision, Bel-Air will dive deeper into the inherent conflicts, emotions and biases that were impossible to fully explore in a 30-minute sitcom format, while still delivering swagger and fun nods to the original show.

Westbrook Studios, a division of Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith’s Westbrook Inc., and Universal TV, which owns copyright to the original series, will serve as the studios.

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 3
On 7/14/2020 at 7:52 PM, Irlandesa said:

Mixedish is far more thoughtful comparison, IMO. Both Mixedish and The Wonfer Years center on an adult in the present day (Kevin/Rainbow) narrating a look back as they enter their teen years (12 years old for both), in the past (70s/80s) and their families. 

Yeah. Since the original Wonder Years centered around a guy in his early 30s reflecting on his life 20 years ago, shouldn't the reboot also take place 20 years ago?

• Love 2

Normally I roll my eyes at sitcoms wanting to be rebooted with a gritty tone, but this could work. This is the spoof trailer that impressed Will Smith.

I was getting confused though because I thought the first teen girl we see was Hilary, but then he started kissing on her. Then we got the clear Hilary talking about Rodeo.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Yeah. Since the original Wonder Years centered around a guy in his early 30s reflecting on his life 20 years ago, shouldn't the reboot also take place 20 years ago?

And my first thought was - oh, you could mine show good stories from the early to mid 80s. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Normally I roll my eyes at sitcoms wanting to be rebooted with a gritty tone, but this could work. This is the spoof trailer that impressed Will Smith.

Damn! That looks amazing. I'd watch it. Now that is how to reboot a show. 

• Love 3

That Fresh Prince re-boot is a really, really impressive fan made trailer.  Holy cow!  I like how the filmmaker subtly worked in all the little things we know:  some the the words from the song made it into the dialogue in various places, Carlton not only wore the sweater tied around his neck, but also we saw him do the Carlton dance and we got a Jazz 2.0!  No wonder Will Smith was impressed enough to make this.  Now, that is how you pitch a show.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I'm typically far more open to reboots or reimaginings than a lot of people. 

But reading that description---Dionne tries to figure out where Cher disappeared to---sounds like another Nancy Drew adaptation rather than an Emma adaptation.  And without it being an Emma adaptation, it shouldn't be a Clueless adaptation.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 9

On 8/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, Irlandesa said:

I'm typically far more open to reboots or reimaginings than a lot of people. 

But reading that description---Dionne tries to figure out where Cher disappeared to---sounds like another Nancy Drew adaptation rather than an Emma adaptation.  And without it being an Emma adaptation, it shouldn't be a Clueless adaptation.

And it's just weird. So many tv shows set around high school in the past decade are too needlessly complicated. If you want a series from the point of view of Dionne, that's fine, but not having Cher there is just weird and makes it sound like a Pretty Little Liars or Gossip Girl ripoff. And speaking of Nancy Drew, apparently Hulu did a Hardy Boys take but it doesn't seem to be going for the same kind of vibe the 2019 WB show did. And Joe looks like he's 10 while the dad is Celestia's ex husband James Tupper.

• Love 1
On 7/14/2020 at 1:49 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

You want to tell a bold racial story, do it on a family who is in the Black Panthers. 

This could be interesting!  Just don't call it "The Wonder Years".  There's a million other titles they could have used.  

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a twisted Wonder Years-ish series with the family as a bunch of white radicals (think Bill Ayres and Bernadine Dorhn) who have to go on the run after a nasty incident.  A bit like the film, Running on Empty.

• Love 2

Hmmm, the only way this whole Wonder Years thing might work is if they do something like what the play Puffs did to Harry Potter. Take the same situation and show it from a different POV. So, it's the same time and place as Kevin's idyllic "wonder years" but shown from the POV of the Black family down the road who, while Kevin was dealing with such trauma as his first zit, or asking a girl out, the little boy down the street is dealing with being arrested for shoplifting because he went into a store alone as a Black kid or being bullied at school. Kind of taking a piss out of American white nostalgia. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

Hmmm, the only way this whole Wonder Years thing might work is if they do something like what the play Puffs did to Harry Potter. Take the same situation and show it from a different POV. So, it's the same time and place as Kevin's idyllic "wonder years" but shown from the POV of the Black family down the road who, while Kevin was dealing with such trauma as his first zit, or asking a girl out, the little boy down the street is dealing with being arrested for shoplifting because he went into a store alone as a Black kid or being bullied at school. Kind of taking a piss out of American white nostalgia. 

Now that would be interesting.

2 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

All this "Wonder Years" revival talk...I think I will just watch reruns of "Everybody Hates Chris".

Right? It basically is the Wonder Years, and it roughly stuck with the 20 year time interval. It also was smart enough not to drag things out. 

• Love 7

Here I thought that had been shot down due to the negative feedback!  They are just determined to go through with this!  Considering the strict laws Hawaii has in place for people visiting in the time of corona, I wonder how they plan to shoot it.  Just use vintage Hawaii video in the vault?

10 minutes ago, magicdog said:

Here I thought that had been shot down due to the negative feedback!  They are just determined to go through with this!  Considering the strict laws Hawaii has in place for people visiting in the time of corona, I wonder how they plan to shoot it.  Just use vintage Hawaii video in the vault?

It’s supposed to film in Hawaii. Considering how many shows Disney+ has slated ahead of it filming should be resumed by that time. Especially since a lot of the cast and crew will probably be locals. 

3 hours ago, magicdog said:

Like a lot of places they are modified for people in film and tv and don’t necessarily have to go through the 14 day quarantine process if they test negative and are monitored and don’t go between where they are staying and work. 

3 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm intrigued. I LOVED Good Times growing up. My little white self wanted to be Thelma so bad. I'll definitely check it out.

Does anyone else think it'd be interesting if they twisted the premise a bit so they're living in a black working class suburb with all the problems of the inner city? I was reading an article once about formerly white suburbs of Dallas that became majority black as whites moved to newer, farther flung suburbs. 

1 hour ago, magicdog said:

Seriously - who asked for this?

I read "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest", saw the movie, and was fine with that.  Why should we need to see how or why Nurse Ratched got to be Nurse Ratched??  

I saw something about this the other day and my interest it was piqued until I saw it was Ryan Murphy, and then I was skeptical. I'll probably still watch it out of curiosity.

• Love 2
On 9/18/2020 at 1:06 PM, magicdog said:

Seriously - who asked for this?

I read "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest", saw the movie, and was fine with that.  Why should we need to see how or why Nurse Ratched got to be Nurse Ratched??  

Right there with you.    She's the antagonist of the movie, I don't need to see more of her.  

• Love 7
On 9/18/2020 at 3:51 PM, Irlandesa said:

Trailers to Ryan Murphy shows always look good. And this one did too.  But I'm not surprised the show is reportedly a mess which is why I never planned on watching it.

But it'll probably be a huge success.

Yeah, Ryan Murphy lost me years ago so I had no inclination at all.  But did read some reviews and most of them agree, gorgeous to look at, great costume and set design etc.  But yes, the story is a hot mess.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Right there with you.    She's the antagonist of the movie, I don't need to see more of her.  

Even moreso, she's an antagonist who doesn't NEED further explanation.  Nurse Ratched in that story makes complete sense without further explanation. 

• Love 10

I'm tired of Ryan Murphy's obsession with Sarah Paulson. He'll have an interesting show concept I might be interested in then I find out he's cast her in whatever show. I don't hate her. It's just annoying the way he has to make her a part of so many things he gets involved with.

• Love 6