Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

Many shows were very much products of their time and would take significant changes to make them work now. But that could drive away a significant portion of the original fans. You could compensate that by attracting new viewers, but that is more difficult because there will always be people who didn't like the original and won't give the reboot a chance no matter how good it ends up being.

Ding Ding Ding!

I'm one of those original BSG fans who wouldn't give the remake a chance because of sex changes w/Boomer & Starbuck.  Yet that doesn't bother me w/Kono on H50. (Oddly both Boomer & Kono played by the same actress).

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Ding Ding Ding!

I'm one of those original BSG fans who wouldn't give the remake a chance because of sex changes w/Boomer & Starbuck.  Yet that doesn't bother me w/Kono on H50. (Oddly both Boomer & Kono played by the same actress).

I remember the other controversy, since Boomer was race flipped to an Asian and Adama to a Latino actor the prominent black roles from the original were gone. Most notably with Colonel Tighe, since the Commander was a man of color there had to be a white man in some capacity I guess. And Black folk  were left with the girlfriend bridge officer role who was pretty much written out the original show although she remained in the opening credits. The late 70s being just before world nation's started utilizing female fighter pilots it was in science fiction, with a society having very few survivors from genocide that the original got a second half story line out of having women become Colonial Warriors/fighter pilots.

• Love 1

Several pages back I had expressed a curiosity in seeing a reboot of The Greatest American Hero (GAH).  I just found this and now I am PISSED!!!

First of all, having a woman take the suit was done in the would be spinoff, Greatest American Heroine.  It failed very badly.  Second, there's this:

[T]he new Greatest American Hero is about "Meera, a 30-year-old Indian-American woman from Cleveland, whose talents include tequila drinking and karaoke and not much else. Then some aliens entrust her with a super suit to protect the planet, and the world has never been in more unreliable hands."

While Ralph Hinckley wasn't perfect or necessarily the ideal superhero type, at least he wasn't an unreliable jerk.  He was stable and worked hard as a teacher to at risk students and tried to make the world a better place even before he got the suit.  The aliens believed the suit belonged in his hands.  Now these idiots are telling me they gave it to an unreliable drunken moron??  If that's the case then it shouldn't be called, GAH!!  In fact, didn't Will Smith already star in Hancock -  a similar film about such a person?  

Plus, they want to do it as a 30 minute sitcom??  No!  Just no!!

F-U Hollywood and your reboots from HELL!!!!

• Love 4
10 hours ago, magicdog said:

Several pages back I had expressed a curiosity in seeing a reboot of The Greatest American Hero (GAH).  I just found this and now I am PISSED!!!

First of all, having a woman take the suit was done in the would be spinoff, Greatest American Heroine.  It failed very badly.  Second, there's this:

While Ralph Hinckley wasn't perfect or necessarily the ideal superhero type, at least he wasn't an unreliable jerk.  He was stable and worked hard as a teacher to at risk students and tried to make the world a better place even before he got the suit.  The aliens believed the suit belonged in his hands.  Now these idiots are telling me they gave it to an unreliable drunken moron??  If that's the case then it shouldn't be called, GAH!!  In fact, didn't Will Smith already star in Hancock -  a similar film about such a person?  

Plus, they want to do it as a 30 minute sitcom??  No!  Just no!!

F-U Hollywood and your reboots from HELL!!!!

It makes me really sad that yet another character who was a force for good gets retooled into a slacker. I ain't watching this mess despite their clever attempts to make it attractive by putting a diverse face on it, though when it fails I'll bet it'll be the casting and not the stupid retooling that gets blamed.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, magicdog said:

Meera, a 30-year-old Indian-American woman from Cleveland, whose talents include tequila drinking and karaoke and not much else.

I would totally hang out with her though. She must have gotten the aliens drunk if they think giving her the suit was a good idea. 

• Love 1

This part of a previous post in another thread probably fits better in here.

I found out recently that there was an unaired reunion movie/pilot for the original Hawaii Five-O that was put together by Stephen J. Cannell. It was supposed to serve as a pilot for a revival series in 1997. Apparently it was really bad. These are some excerpts from an online article written about it

As my source said, there are more reasons that the revival of Five-0 didn't make the fall lineup. Bringing Chin Ho back to life was not Cannell's only elementary research error. Yes, Hollywood is full of leaks, and one of the leaks that has flowed my way is the February 24, 1997, draft of the script of the revival's pilot. Speaking of paying attention to details, here are some of the other research errors I found:

They couldn't even spell McGarrett right! Throughout the entire script, it's spelled with one 't' at the end.

This may be a picky point, but Danno is spelled with 2 n's in the scripts from the original series, so I take that as an "official" spelling. In this script, it's spelled with one n, as it appears on some collectibles and in other places. Picky, but again, a bit of elementary research would have cleared this.

This script characterizes Che Fong as a Five-0 detective who retired in 1968(!) rather than a forensic scientist who was with the team from early in the first season of the original series through the tenth season (1978).

At two different points, Nick Irons (later changed to Nick Wong) remarks that the lead hood will get the death penalty. Hawaii does not have capital punishment, nor did it back in the days of the original series.

This draft of the script had Chin, Kono, and Truck speaking the most egregious Hollywood-version Pidgin! This was changed in a later draft -- after Kam Fong agitated with the producer about the way that made the original guys look. Good for Kam!

6 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

There is a Party of Five reboot in the works, but with an immigration angle. Actually, I think it's kind of a cool idea. They don't really need the P05 brand name for it and could just do a new show instead, but's a reboot that I could totally get behind on. (I have only seen two episodes of the original series, though I plan on watching all of it at some point.)

Seriously?

It hasn't been off the air all that long compared to other remakes like H50, Battlestar & MacGyver

7 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

There is a Party of Five reboot in the works, but with an immigration angle. Actually, I think it's kind of a cool idea. They don't really need the P05 brand name for it and could just do a new show instead, but's a reboot that I could totally get behind on. (I have only seen two episodes of the original series, though I plan on watching all of it at some point.)

Why not just make a show about an immigrant family dealing with the death of their parents. It's not like Po5 was some crazy original idea. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Why not just make a show about an immigrant family dealing with the death of their parents. It's not like Po5 was some crazy original idea. 

Name recognition. Buit-in fanbase. You might get fans of the original to watch. If they like it, they might stick around and tell their friends. Probably a bit better than starting from scratch, no name, no existing fans. According to IMDB, none of the original cast have done anything noteworthy recently (by my definition), maybe some could come back in either existing or new roles. That's my guess, at least. I don't actually know how these things really work.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Name recognition. Buit-in fanbase

Yes, I understand the theory but it doesn't tend to actually work successfully  particularly when it's such a different premise as described. Not to mention most people who were fans of Po5 have aged out of the target audience for this show.

Neve is on House of Cards, Mathew has Lost money/other issues, Scott has been on the Night Shift and Lacey is a main face on the Hallmark Channel, so I wouldn't classify them as hard up for work.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yes, I understand the theory but it doesn't tend to actually work successfully  particularly when it's such a different premise as described. Not to mention most people who were fans of Po5 have aged out of the target audience for this show.

Neve is on House of Cards, Mathew has Lost money/other issues, Scott has been on the Night Shift and Lacey is a main face on the Hallmark Channel, so I wouldn't classify them as hard up for work.

True, but isn't it better than nothing?

And I said nothing notable, not nothing at all. :)

6 hours ago, Joe said:

True, but isn't it better than nothing?

And I said nothing notable, not nothing at all. :)

Well I think the premise in question sounds a lot more interesting than kids inherit a mansion and successful restaurant in SF, so tying it to that lineage makes the actual interesting part of the pilot proposal drown miserably. Make there be no Owen, so just 4 kids no one would miss an Owen and then you are freed from a reboot.

PO5 reboot.  Its this type of reboot that always makes me wonder.  How did it come about?  Did a writer/producer come up with and idea and try to paint a picture for an exec "its kind of like PO5 but with an immigrant family" and an original became a reboot.  Or do execs pull old shows and news topics in the headlines from two hats and that's your pilot.

Roswell reboot.  This is just weird.  I wouldn't be surprised if the writer used to post at crashdown and swore when they became a TV writer they would do the show again and fix it.  They will never again catch they lighting in a bottle of BTS WTFery that made posting about the show so much fun.

Nancy Drew.  Nope.

Deadline

The series is about Nancy getting back together with her girlfriends as they all are now women of a certain age, in their 40s or 50s. Overcoming the inevitable bad blood, they pull on their strength, which is their knack for solving mysteries together.

Their age “we think is their superpower;  no one notices them when they walk in. It’s a way for them to fly under the radar,”  Rater said. “They talk about how they feel unseen.”

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

Their age “we think is their superpower;  no one notices them when they walk in. It’s a way for them to fly under the radar,”  Rater said. “They talk about how they feel unseen.”

Ugh. Just. Ugh.

ETA: More words this time. Because the only reason to be successful at anything is either by evading a man's gaze while  being old or by attracting a man's gaze by being young. Because, our lives and successes revolve around this and only this. Blergh.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 11

Did a writer/producer come up with and idea and try to paint a picture for an exec "its kind of like PO5 but with an immigrant family" and an original became a reboot. 

I have no idea but the Po5 reboot screams this take.

The series is about Nancy getting back together with her girlfriends as they all are now women of a certain age, in their 40s or 50s. Overcoming the inevitable bad blood, they pull on their strength, which is their knack for solving mysteries together.

This premise is fine, it doesn't need 'Nancy Drew' attached to it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I'm just happy the rights situation for Buffy is so complicated they're not rebooting Buffy The Vampire Slayer with an immigration angle.

"We're going to build a wall made out of sunlight." I dunno. It's late here.

• Love 1
On October 12, 2017 at 0:46 PM, nosleepforme said:

File this under weird: The CW is rebooting Roswell, the 90s WB/UPN series that was never really all that successful to begin with.

In this version though, Max and Liz won't be teenagers, Max will be a police officer and of course there is the now obligatory "immigration angle" for reboots that the planned Party of Five reboot was already aiming for:

I don't know, they are already changing so much about the original premise that they could just give the show its own title rather than relying on the "Roswell"-brand.

I'm so sick of reboots (read: lack of ideas) redressed with a PC/SJW twist.  It's not true to the premise or characters.  

The Nancy Drew concept (or Hardy Boys for that matter) could be rebooted if the PTB are true to their initial premises (the books).  They could be aged up to college students I suppose or perhaps having interned as detectives and getting paid to be professional buddinskies.  

I'm imagining a Buffy reboot in which vampires take over the world because the chosen one is stuck at an ICE detention facility, but I can't see it getting past a sketch show skit.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2017 at 9:29 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I would have much preferred watching Sarah Shahi in that show, rather than the drek CBS went with in Doubt with Katherin Heigl.  I wonder who NBS will cast.  I'm sure they went with the Nancy Drew name because 'women of a certain age' who watch those kind of shows, are of the age to have grown up reading Nancy Drew, i.e. 40s, 50s, 60s.

• Love 1

Movie-to-series reboot is in the works at Syfy for Tremors. With Kevin Bacon!

"In the new Tremors ... the killer Graboid worms that nearly destroyed Perfection, NV, 25 years ago are back, and the town’s only hope for survival is Valentine McKee (Bacon), who beat them once. But to do it again he’ll have to overcome age, alcohol and a delusional hero complex."

If it comes to fruition, I hope they're able to keep the snarky tone. I didn't watch any of the sequels but my guess is that the Gummers were goners at some point? Otherwise those two and their weapons stockpile would definitely still be scratching out a desert existence.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, 2727 said:

Movie-to-series reboot is in the works at Syfy for Tremors. With Kevin Bacon!

"In the new Tremors ... the killer Graboid worms that nearly destroyed Perfection, NV, 25 years ago are back, and the town’s only hope for survival is Valentine McKee (Bacon), who beat them once. But to do it again he’ll have to overcome age, alcohol and a delusional hero complex."

If it comes to fruition, I hope they're able to keep the snarky tone. I didn't watch any of the sequels but my guess is that the Gummers were goners at some point? Otherwise those two and their weapons stockpile would definitely still be scratching out a desert existence.

This could be interesting-especially since they're getting at least one original cast member.  Hopefully they'll also get Michael Gross.  

As as for the Gummers, I saw one sequel and supposedly the Mrs. left her husband leaving him to prep alone.  Considering the first film, I found it difficult to believe the character would have done that.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2017 at 11:33 AM, magicdog said:

I'm so sick of reboots (read: lack of ideas) redressed with a PC/SJW twist.  It's not true to the premise or characters. 

Are they going to have to change the setting of Party of 5? How is it remotely realistic for a struggling Latino family to live in a mansion in inner-city San Francisco one of the most expensive cities in the world? And if they're going with the illegal immigration stance, wouldn't it make more sense for it to take place in an area that's actually near the Mexican border like San Diego?

And yes. Heathers is a number one example, where Heather Duke is now a genderqueer designated male at birth, Heather Chandler is fat punk, and Heather 3 is now a lesbian black punk. Not remotely true to the premise of the original about how people who were blessed with wealth, privilege, and conventional beauty use it to lord over the not-so-fortunate. But the really funny thing is, despite all this "wokeness", the lead Veronica Sawyer is STILL a pretty, thin, conventional white beauty!

I can't believe Daniel Walters actually signed off on that. Although maybe he's seeing something in this that I'm not seeing, or he was promised something vastly different from what they seem to be doing here. Maybe he doesn't have the rights anymore?

I love how they had to age up the characters in the Roswell reboot just to make sure people don't get it confused with the Roswell rip-off they did a few years ago. Which failed.

I would not be surprised if NBC tried to redevelop the Nancy Drew concept for Sophia Bush.  She seems like someone they'd try to build a show around.

Edited by methodwriter85

Since Amy and Chris are producing the reboot of PO5, I trust them.  Originally, the bosses at Fox (?) wanted PO5, to be more comedy, but Amy & Chris fought it and won.  And the show won a drama GG its first year.  It produced several A-list movie & TV show actors.

So I hope for the best in this one.

I just saw that they are going reboot Roswell (even though apparently that came out a few months ago). Reading the description above, I will be skipping this one. The whole point of the show was that it was also a coming of age story about teenagers. Most of the best parts of the show was related to the growing friendship between both human and alien characters. The fact that they were all in high school set a great background for them. Also their relationship with their parents are a major part of the show. Having them be adults sounds horrible and while it's great to involve political issues and social issues, I feel like this show is best left alone. Or they could do a spin off, maybe following Zan, Tess could have been wrong and he turns out to have powers too.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
On 9/1/2017 at 7:55 AM, Raja said:

I remember the other controversy, since Boomer was race flipped to an Asian and Adama to a Latino actor the prominent black roles from the original were gone. Most notably with Colonel Tighe, since the Commander was a man of color there had to be a white man in some capacity I guess. And Black folk  were left with the girlfriend bridge officer role who was pretty much written out the original show although she remained in the opening credits. The late 70s being just before world nation's started utilizing female fighter pilots it was in science fiction, with a society having very few survivors from genocide that the original got a second half story line out of having women become Colonial Warriors/fighter pilots.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, & apologies if so, but the bolded is written (to me) as if you're saying Commander Adama was black at 1 time?

I watched the original BSG on ABC, along with the 1980 version that I think had the stars playing the sons of Apollo & Starbuck. Adama was definitely a character in the former, played by former Bonanza star Lorne Greene, who was a Canadian Caucasian (who was just very tan, as far as I know). I don't remember if he appeared in the 1980 version or not.

And in the reboot where Grace Park played a gender-swapped Boomer (if not other roles), Google shows that Adama was played (apparently at different stages of his life) by various Latino actors (about 3 or 4); ending with Edward James Olmos, who was probably best known before the BSG reboot for his roles in Miami Vice, the film Stand and Deliver (for which he was nominated for an Oscar, if not other major acting awards), & a 1 episode (I think--it might've been 2) guest shot on The West Wing, playing a Latino Judge President Bartlet chose as his first nominee to SCOTUS (I think the character was also supposed to have been the first Latino nominee to SCOTUS at the time).

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, & apologies if so, but the bolded is written (to me) as if you're saying Commander Adama was black at 1 time?

I think you were misunderstanding Raja's post. Adama was white in the original (and Latino in the new series) and his second-in-command Tigh was black. I think Raja is saying that they made Tigh white in the new BSG because they didn't want two POC as the two highest ranking officers. This meant that the two most prominent black characters from the original were no longer black in the new series. Dualla was the only significant black character in the new series and her role was still smaller than the two black characters in the original.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I think you were misunderstanding Raja's post. Adama was white in the original (and Latino in the new series) and his second-in-command Tigh was black. I think Raja is saying that they made Tigh white in the new BSG because they didn't want two POC as the two highest ranking officers. This meant that the two most prominent black characters from the original were no longer black in the new series. Dualla was the only significant black character in the new series and her role was still smaller than the two black characters in the original.

Maybe this belongs in race and gender discussions but it is strange that Edward James Olmos makes the Commander role a "person of color", but not a color which locks out White woman as a mate since I Love Lucy. But then his son on the show Jamie Bamber is seen as white.  While in 1978 a Black woman could not play his ( fighter squadron commander  Apollo's) girlfriend due to the culture and Asian woman would have been able to be in that role after a decade of the original Hawaii Five O

5 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Yes. I misunderstood @raja's post. Thanks for clarifying. 

The thing I'm not clear on is, why is the show title abbreviated as BSG? I always thought Battlestar was 1 word.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To change a punctuation mark.

Absolutely, I don't have to watch. However, this is a thread to discuss our disdain for such reboots, so I thought I would bring my comment here instead of the Mad About You forum where people are fans of the show and wouldn't appreciate me being a naysayer.

• Love 7
On 9/14/2017 at 9:26 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

And people wonder why I watch MeTV and rewatch the original shows, and have no desire to watch new ones? 

I know right? I'm only in my early 30s and I can't be bothered with things like Netflix and Hulu originals. Aside from Vikings, and Bizarre Foods I only watch those 'typical, cliche' sitcoms that people always hate on. Everything else I watch is reruns of shows from when I was younger. Maybe I've just fallen into that whole "everything was much better in my day" trap. Cause I realized that all the music and movies and video games that I like are all from when I was a kid/teenager.

• Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, Joe said:

Mad About You, for some reason. I don't remember it being funny in the first place. Maybe I should repurpose a Paul Reiser quote from his other most famous role: This franchise has a substantial dollar value attached to it.

I did actually like Mad About You in the beginning.  I didn't like the later seasons so I don't know if I would like a revival

I do recall my strongest sentiment about the show in the end was  {shakes fist at sky} " What is wrong with you?  I need at least one person to root for.  You can't make everyone on network television despicable."

Something about the Jamie/Paul relationship problems happening in the season where the Seinfeld crew were super callous over Susan's death set me off.

Now in my mind all shows that had @$$hole anti heroes with no redeeming qualities or characters I used to like happened at the same time (the Spring of '96 when must see Thursday went to the dark side)  no matter when it really happened. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I did actually like Mad About You in the beginning.  I didn't like the later seasons so I don't know if I would like a revival

I do recall my strongest sentiment about the show in the end was  {shakes fist at sky} " What is wrong with you?  I need at least one person to root for.  You can't make everyone on network television despicable."

Something about the Jamie/Paul relationship problems happening in the season where the Seinfeld crew were super callous over Susan's death set me off.

Now in my mind all shows that had @$$hole anti heroes with no redeeming qualities or characters I used to like happened at the same time (the Spring of '96 when must see Thursday went to the dark side)  no matter when it really happened. 

I liked the show in the beginning. I liked Paul Reiser and Murray the dog. And it had Mel Brooks playing his uncle Phil. 

• Love 2