Type keyword(s) to search

S14: Swapnil Shinde

• Start Topic

I need help understanding here.  I've always thought that they filmed the entire season, and then constructed the episodes after all of them were filmed. 

That sounds expensive and it's probably cheaper to get the editors and such to work as soon as they have something to work on.  It wouldn't surprise me if whatever the situation was with Swapnil came to a head a couple of actual filming weeks in, when again it would be expensive to go back and change what they had done.  Probably cheaper to turn the whole battleship a few degrees to accommodate this, especially if he was never planned to win to begin with.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 1
Probably cheaper to turn the whole battleship a few degrees to accommodate this, especially if he was never planned to win to begin with.

Maybe that's what happened.  Swapnil realized after the first few challenges that this really wasn't a contest of skills, but a production, a show, and decided he didn't want to bother trying anymore. 

• Love 4

Well, my observation has been that Tim appears to have a remarkable well of warm fellow-feeling for contestants who present themselves as victims and act like bullies. Granted he's also kind of obseqious about making excuses for the annointed favorites of the judges, but he doesn't seem to feel quite as strongly about that. Think about who his favorites have been lately - Michelle, Helen, Sandhya, Asha, Mondo, Amanda... That's quite the murderer's row of mean/whiny assholes right there.

Oh God, this is dead, dead on.  My 'Oh God' is because a big part of me cannot accept he has any warm feelings towards Fucking Helen, who I loathe.  The whole dynamic with Helen and pass-agg Dom and Fucking Kate Pankoke, Incompetent Designer against Alexandria still, obviously, makes my blood boil.  But you're right.

• Love 9

I'm relatively new to watching PR (this is only my 2nd season, plus last season's PRAS), so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I thought the treatment of Swapnil was BS. Granted, I do think he was not giving it his all, but I do not understand why Tim was so ragey at him. As long as the designer is still putting out a look on the runway, and up until this week, all of Swapnil's looks were quite good, why should it matter? Plus, how embarrassing to be called out like that in front of the "client" and the other designers! I was also totally on his side this week because that Jen woman seemed like she would drive anyone insane. I get that bombshell is not her style, but would it have killed her to show her arms and legs for one stinking runway? She really did not seem to want to be there, and she didn't seem to give any direction of what she liked, only what she didn't like. Why couldn't she just suck it up a bit and have fun with it? Poor Swapnil. Ashley's and Candice's looks were both heinous this week. Candice - talk about a one-trick pony, why didn't they send her home?

• Love 5

After all the truly horrible people that have been on this show, who have actually screamed at the production staff (S3 Vincent), refused to share the hotel space (S2 Zulema, S12 Ken), disrespected the judges to their faces (S5 Kenley, S2 Santino), been rude and confrontational in the workroom (S3 Jeffrey) all this rage is directed at Swapnil? A guy who has acted like a gentleman from day, who never blamed anyone else for his failings, didn't play the sympathy card, was liked by all other designers, who took Tim's diatribe with grace? Because he's "wasting his potential"?

I think Tim is having emotional and/or mental problems.

Love this. As early as the Haute Tech Couture challenge, I was surprised during the part of the show where Zac paws the models that, while they were discussing Swapi's wire creation, Tim said he had plenty of time and that's why he's so disgusted. Disgusted seemed like a strong word because I didn't think it was the worst contraption to come down the runway. And then of course, Zac the Termite had to jump all over that, in spite of the big smile he had on his mug as it walked down the runway... I don't feel he deserved being on the receiving end of Tim's meltdown. I was sorry to see him paired with Little Mary Sunshine, too. Gonna miss the Swapi because I would've loved to have seen what else he would have created. Smoking or not smoking, brown eyes or grey eyes, discouraged or all in, I liked him.

• Love 11

I was all for that theory, hoping for it actually (Tim using his save on Swapnil) until he chose to justify his behavior and his language during the interview. Don't know if there's any coming back from that. Happy producers. Go figure.

• Love 2

I do not think Tim will use his save on Swapnil. I would love him to, but if Tim went so far to as asking the judges to auf him, then I doubt he would save him. Not sure if this is a spoiler, but putting it under spoiler tags just in case. It is from Swapnil's instagram.

This is from Swapnil's instagram. It sounds pretty final;  "officialswapnilshinde#designerswapnil #projectrunway #projectrunway14 #lifetimetv #lifetimechannel #lifetime ::::: and thus ends my journey on @projectrunway .... Made some amazing friends for life .... Got the opportunity of a lifetime !! Dreams do come true .... Mine was to be on the show and show my work which I did with grace and dignity .... In the end I want to thank everyone from the crew to the personal assistants to our sweet cast manager @meganfaye who took such good care of me ... Worked hard for 8 years to build my brand and will keep on working harder than ever ! And ofcourse my model my muse my inspiration and my biggest strength on this show @emonibaraka you truly gave me so much inspiration you are my star !!!"

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 6

I wanted it to be that Tim was yelling at swapnil the way ballet masters yell at the talented ones.

Sadly, no,

I hate that Tim never argues with the judges any ore but sucks up to them. He's become a Cool Kid. Shades of the Helen bullying arc and tims lame attempt to defend himself.

So disappointed in himL his integrity is gone.

• Love 7

One or two of the looks don't entirely work for me (and this is based only on still photos - who knows how I'd feel watching them move?), but the others are incredibly beautiful and seem to be executed with great care. More importantly, he has a real point of view, which comes across very well.

I'll never be able to afford him, but plenty of people will, and he'll continue to do well.

• Love 3

I finally was able to see the end of the episode (I skipped past the Tim part because I already knew how that went down) and something struck me as funny.  When Swapnil was told to clean up his workspace, he had a little bag in which he put the tools of his trade.  But he had failed to bring those tools when he came to Project Runway (along with two other of the designers).  I guess somewhere along the line, his bag showed up or he was able to replace what he left behind.  Never even thought of it before.

My computer really had a melt down during the preview but I didn't spot Swapnil in any of the lineups.  I would be okay with no "save" because that would have smelled of even more producer manipulation than I already think is going on, but I think Swapnil will have a very good career without Project Runway.  It was telling, to me, that the other designers were extremely warm in their good-byes to him....everyone was except for the frosty Tim Gunn. 

I just noticed my auto correct is changing Swapnil to another word altogether.  I am trying to catch all the replacements but my great apologies if I've missed any.  It was not intentional on my part.

I'm fine with no save, because than it means I would have to start watching this show again, and I'm okay having my Thursdays back.  And at this point, I don't want any "Tim is a hero" storyline, because I'm over him.

And in retrospect this show is circling the drain, jumping the shark and sinking like the Titanic.  I'm sort of okay with a designer as talented as Swapnil getting a life raft before the entire thing goes to the bottom of the ocean.  At some point having your name associated with Project Runway is not going to be an asset, especially as the show gets cheaper and cheaper.  Winning PR, to me, doesn't have the same shine as it did in the early days.  

I'm happy Swapnil got to make a collection for FW, because it looks beautiful, and maybe the best thing for him was to be able to show at FW and not actually win the show.  

• Love 4

Those looks are so beautiful I think if he didn't get sent home it had the potential of a winning collection because from all the other ones I've seen they're very.. meh

My thought exactly, the moment he was eliminated: there goes the one "show" of the bunch.

• Love 8

Sincere thanks to jrlr for the link. I think those clothes are beautiful. It also explains a lot, such as why he was talking about sculpture and draping so often. I can also understand from that what he was doing with the skirt in the Dress the Obnoxious Cameraman challenge. It's a shame that these could not be created in PR's budget brand bargain basement challenges, but how nice to know they're out there. I would wear a few of them without reservation. WTG, Swapi.

• Love 6

Thank you so much jrlr for posting the link.  I absolutely love his design point-of-view, sparkly drama looks for the modern goddess, truly magical and fun to see.  I agree that I'd love to see them in motion down the runway and hear what music he chose, etc.  I'm a major Swapnil fan.

Gosh, so sorry Tim, that Swapnil had difficulty getting down and dirty with your little game.  My take is that Swapnil's creativity was stymied by the disappointments of not getting a "win" when he clearly deserved at least one and some of the parameters such as ongoing time constrictions, etc.  Artistic types are a complicated breed, often sensitive, and the creative process is different for all.  Not every artist is going to be able to function at their best in the game, and may not know this until they are in the trenches.  

I'm not one to say "I'm done with this show" when sorely disappointed because I enjoy the creative aspect of PR.  However I'm so turned off by Tim's behavior sweeping the whole season, from his not-helpful tidbits in the workroom to his appalling outburst and ugly behavior surrounding Swapnil etc. that unless something miraculous happens (starting with a freaking apology to Swapnil),  I don't think I can stomach watching more.  That makes me sad - and mad.

(edited to remove a redundant phrase and clarify "little game"...)

Edited by ursulaandress
  • Love 6

I have not yet seen an explanation of how Tim's villainy prevented Swapnil from having anything for his client to try on during the first fitting.

Especially when he knew as soon as Tim arrived that the model fitting was going to coincide with the critique. Tim came to Swapnil LAST, and he STILL didn't make sure to get at least SOMETHING done while he was waiting.

However, I fully agree that sending Swapnil home so that other designers wouldn't be "lazy" was a stupid reason/excuse/justification. I've seen lack of focus from others, but other than resorting to the same concept over and over, have we seen anything from anyone that could be described as "lazy"?

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 2

I can absolutely see every Kardashian sister fighting over all of those pieces. 

Gorgeous.  Simply stunning. 

I think Swapnil knew he was damned if he DID have something to try on his girl, and damned if he DIDN'T.  So he opted for the path of least bitching, griping and moaning but not having anything for her til the actual runway show.  Any point she made then was moot.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 2

My suspicion is that Swapnil has been sliding downhill into depression since he never could figure out what the judges wanted (when he kept coming in second in the first part of the season).

Since the client made well known her dissatisfaction with the design, I'm not sure how trying it on would have improved anything..

But Swapnil didn't know that at the time of the 1st fitting (model's attitude) while he was waiting and doing nothing.

If he was familiar with the show, he would also have known that Dmitri was the bridesmaid for the whole season and then walked away with the prize.

Also, if he was so distressed at not winning, why did he state that he had a strategy of being "safe"? I'm not buying the idea that he was worn down by not winning. Worn down by Tim nagging him to put in more effort, maybe. Worn down by being told he SHOULD be winning and it was a failure to come in 2nd, maybe. But depressed because he wasn't winning? I'm not so sure about that.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 4
he would also have known that Dmitri was the bridesmaid for the whole season and then walked away with the prize.

Not to mention Jay McCarroll, who not only came in second a lot but once (no, twice) came in second to Wendy Pepper.

This is true for competitions of all kinds:  You can't control if you win or not, you can only control what you do.  As long as the judges respond positively to your work, you're in good shape.  If you need to win in order to feel good about yourself, then you're in for a rough ride.

Edited by ChelseaNH
  • Love 1

But Swapnil didn't know that at the time of the 1st fitting (model's attitude) while he was waiting and doing nothing.

If he was familiar with the show, he would also have known that Dmitri was the bridesmaid for the whole season and then walked away with the prize.

Also, if he was so distressed at not winning, why did he state that he had a strategy of being "safe"? I'm not buying the idea that he was worn down by not winning. Worn down by Tim nagging him to put in more effort, maybe. Worn down by being told he SHOULD be winning and it was a failure to come in 2nd, maybe. But depressed because he wasn't winning? I'm not so sure about that.

I think he was worn down by Tim's nagging.  Swapnil's created his best looks by working his way.  Apparently "his way" wasn't good enough for Tim, even if Swapnil's work was good enough for the judges.  So Tim pushed, nagged, whined, went to the judges in an effort to get Swapnil to change his work process.  He pushed Swapnil right into a work process that didn't work for him.  Perhaps, as others have said, those work breaks helped Swapnil's creative process, and without them he couldn't think as clearly as he could before.  My best, best ideas have come to me while I'm running on the treadmill.  If someone demanded I take my workout out of my life because I should be doing more "work" they would not get the best out of me.  When I'm running at optimal levels, my focus is better, my mind is clear, my ideas are better.  Smoking may help Swapnil center himself and take a mental break so he can come up with better ideas.  Without that, he isn't nearly as good.  

When Swapnil took numerous smoke breaks and worked his own way he put out top three work in a day.  Well finished, well executed and well thought out designs.  When that was taken away from him and his process completely changed to mollify Tim, it would make him less able to produce a good look no matter how much time he is given.  It reminds me of people I was in school with who would try to study for like 10 hours straight, a lot of times they wouldn't get as good a grade, because even though you're spending more time "studying" you're going to just end up staring at the book and not being productive at all.

Tim should be proud that his mentoring took a designer that was doing well straight to the bottom.  Good for Tim, way to mentor!

Not to mention Jay McCarroll, who not only came in second a lot but once (no, twice) came in second to Wendy Pepper.

This is true for competitions of all kinds:  You can't control if you win or not, you can only control what you do.  As long as the judges respond positively to your work, you're in good shape.  If you need to win in order to feel good about yourself, then you're in for a rough ride.

That's what Tim should have recognized.  The judges were responding positively to Swapnil's work, there was no need to pressure him for a win, or to intervene with the judges because Tim didn't like the way he worked. 

• Love 8

(cut from a post I made in the Tim Gunn thread because I forgot I wasn't in the Swapnil thread at the time)

I've never been as enamored of Swapnil as many posters here, so I'm not really all that upset that he's gone, except for the WAY he was eliminated

1st episode look - meh. nothing special. We first see his tortured strap'ege here

2nd episode look, (hallmark cards) Loved it.

3rd (teamed with Laurie) LOVED the India inspired top and wrap. Maybe favorite thing all season so far,

4th look - liked ok (would have liked to see it walk without the model's hands in her pockets and a bit longer)

5th (blue team) liked, but not my favorite. well thought out though.

6th - Lingerie. HATED

7th - computer parts. HATED

8th -(big grey mouse ears on front, floaty peach skirt that was the wrong color) Had the basis for something good, but was wrong in too many ways. Didn't hate it because he was onto something, but couldn't love it either because he made some poor choices despite a good idea. Meh.

9th - Leopard bombshell. Missed the mark like the previous effort, although the print was striking on the model.

10th - obviously ho-hum

The interesting thing about the episode 10 cape top was that I LOVED Jake's outfit for the blue team challenge and it also had a cape top. As I recall, the judges loved it too. So why did the cape effect work so well for Jake's outfit and look so dowdy on Swapnil's. Don't know, but it did.

So I've really only loved 2 of his outfits. I've also hated 2 and the rest I was ambivalent about.

Edited by slothgirl

This is just a FYI thing....I am not Team Swapnil (and definitely not Team Gunn) so take this as you like (it won't change your mind either way):  http://allprojectrunway.blogspot.com/2015/10/bpr-interview-with-swapnil-shinde.html-- though I am going to give him this much credit, he doesn't complain about Tim. 

He is so gracious.  I'm so happy to hear that being on the show actually resulted in a boom to his business.  And from "real women" clients too!

What is it they say?   Success is the best revenge....good for Swapnil.

• Love 3

I find it interesting that he is now saying he gave 100% when in show he said he was deliberately not so that towards the end he could wow them. I'm not outraged, most people do some mental post-editing. It's just interesting because he had seemed kind of proud of that strategy at the time.

It was interesting though, about the muslin. That makes a lot of sense. He basically wasn't making the garment twice, once in muslin then again for real, which would cut a LOT of production time. That's smart, risky, but smart when you've got a ridiculous timeline. I wonder if that chaffed Tim's "teacher" sensibilities, because I'm sure they teach at Parsons that you always draw, then make a muslin mock up before ever daring to make your real garment.

• Love 3

I find it interesting that he is now saying he gave 100% when in show he said he was deliberately not so that towards the end he could wow them. I'm not outraged, most people do some mental post-editing. It's just interesting because he had seemed kind of proud of that strategy at the time.

It was interesting though, about the muslin. That makes a lot of sense. He basically wasn't making the garment twice, once in muslin then again for real, which would cut a LOT of production time. That's smart, risky, but smart when you've got a ridiculous timeline. I wonder if that chaffed Tim's "teacher" sensibilities, because I'm sure they teach at Parsons that you always draw, then make a muslin mock up before ever daring to make your real garment.

I will say that I want to hear that explained more at the reunion (does Lifetime spring for those?)  I truly don't think percent effort matters at all, but as you said it seems interesting that he gave that answer in the interview. 

Project Runway can't make or break a career unless you let it...Swapnil was smart to go home and design what he loves best.  Good for him. 

exactly -- I'm glad he has such a good attitude.

• Love 2

Effort shouldn't matter in voting, which is what bothers me most about Tim's tattling to the judges. It shouldn't affect their decision if Swapnil whipped out a winning look in an hour or 10 hours. I would think that, as a designer, you would want to put out your best work because PR is likely the biggest audience most of them have had. This is their chance to show potential clients what they can really do.

• Love 7

Effort shouldn't matter in voting, which is what bothers me most about Tim's tattling to the judges. It shouldn't affect their decision if Swapnil whipped out a winning look in an hour or 10 hours. I would think that, as a designer, you would want to put out your best work because PR is likely the biggest audience most of them have had. This is their chance to show potential clients what they can really do.

That seems logical to me.  But I do think that sometimes when designers pressure themselves to give 100% it results in a look that really needs editing, or a look that is just too much.  Especially if Swapnil works fast, pushing himself to continue working could have led to him adding stuff that his design really didn't need.  I just think the natural instinct can be "okay, well this is good, but more will be better, and I gotta do something!"

But, after reading the interview I want to see it all explained at the reunion.  Although it will probably make my blood boil to hear Tim try to justify and explain away his behavior.

• Love 1

This is just a FYI thing....I am not Team Swapnil (and definitely not Team Gunn) so take this as you like (it won't change your mind either way): http://allprojectrunway.blogspot.com/2015/10/bpr-interview-with-swapnil-shinde.html-- though I am going to give him this much credit, he doesn't complain about Tim.

A gentleman to the end. And a place to find his clothes! I'd do time in prison for the second outfit listed in his collection. Too many posts to like on the subject of Swapnil v. Gunn so to RC and Whimsey, cheers...

• Love 5

A gentleman to the end. And a place to find his clothes! I'd do time in prison for the second outfit listed in his collection. Too many posts to like on the subject of Swapnil v. Gunn so to RC and Whimsey, cheers...

Awwww....heart emoticon to you if I knew how to do it on my computer!

• Love 2

I agree.  Swapnil may not have acted the way Gunn wanted, but he always behaved with courtesy and responded without anger.  And I have a feeling he will do well. 

♥  Just for you.  If you are using a PC, put the Num Lock on and then press alt+3  ♥

♥! 

I just don't understand all the discussion about Swapnil's "percentage of effort."

If you're in the top but not getting the win, do you say, "Uh oh, I'm operating at peak power, I have nowhere to go but down"?  No.  You say, "I've just been cruising along in second gear for the purposes of strategy; wait 'til you see me put the pedal to the metal."

ALL reality show contestants say the very same thing:  Don't send me home yet!  You haven't yet seen what I'm really capable of.

The only competition where I can even imagine not giving your best effort would be Last Comic Standing, where they have to finesse whether to do their best material in the elimination rounds or save it for the finale and pray.

And just as a scribble in the margin, for artists who smoke, smoking's usually an inherent part of the creative process.  If Swapnil could have organized a chair, a sketchpad and an ashtray in one location instead of having a camera crew follow him out to the dumpster to record his "laziness". . . . 

• Love 4
He basically wasn't making the garment twice, once in muslin then again for real, which would cut a LOT of production time.

But working in muslin would provide the opportunity to make changes more easily.  Given a client whose form is new to him, it seems it would be very useful to get an idea of how the garment hangs on her before committing his fabric to a design.

I just don't understand all the discussion about Swapnil's "percentage of effort."

If you're in the top but not getting the win, do you say, "Uh oh, I'm operating at peak power, I have nowhere to go but down"?  No.  You say, "I've just been cruising along in second gear for the purposes of strategy; wait 'til you see me put the pedal to the metal."

ALL reality show contestants say the very same thing:  Don't send me home yet!  You haven't yet seen what I'm really capable of.

The only competition where I can even imagine not giving your best effort would be Last Comic Standing, where they have to finesse whether to do their best material in the elimination rounds or save it for the finale and pray.

And just as a scribble in the margin, for artists who smoke, smoking's usually an inherent part of the creative process.  If Swapnil could have organized a chair, a sketchpad and an ashtray in one location instead of having a camera crew follow him out to the dumpster to record his "laziness". . . . 

Thinking is also part of the creative process, and sometimes that isn't done with a pen and paper in hand.  Breaks are part of the creative process because it gives  your mind time to reset.  My best ideas have come to me while I'm running on a treadmill.  Of course, no one who saw me would think I was working.  But I was.  

Maybe if you're Swapnil and you naturally could do your own thing you would say "you know, I haven't won, and I'm not giving 100%, but I'm okay with that for right now."  And perhaps someone like Swapnil produces his best work when he isn't under the immense pressure to produce a win, but can just let his creative juices flow.  But we will never know because Tim took it upon himself to insert himself in the process and demand a designer be sent home for something other than his actual work product.

I agree.  Swapnil may not have acted the way Gunn wanted, but he always behaved with courtesy and responded without anger.  And I have a feeling he will do well. 

♥  Just for you.  If you are using a PC, put the Num Lock on and then press alt+3  ♥

♥ to you for your cat's health!

• Love 6

Wow, those are some seriously lovely clothes!  I would love to own that last gown...and have somewhere to wear it LOL!  

I've watched every season of PR and have always hated that they tout showing at Fashion Week as one of the prizes - when it's always been way more than the top 3 that get to show.  I thought that after Kara Janx blew her Season 2 competitors out of the water at FW with her decoy collection, they would find a way to stop doing that but they never have.  Based on the still photos, I think Swapnil has done the same.  

• Love 2

I thought I read that Swapnil exhibited at Fashion Week because he was already an established designer, rather than as a decoy collection for Project Runway...

I wonder what Tim Gunn thought of Swapnil's collection.  I thought it was gorgeous, and that he actually benefited by being eliminated from Project Runway, because he was able to show what he can do when not limited by Project Runway's absurd rules and deadlines, and by being able to work in his own way and not pushed into working the way Tim Gunn thought he should.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 5

I wonder if Swapnil's main goal was to stay long enough so he could at least show a decoy collection at Fashion Week on Lifetime's dime, and once he accomplished that goal, staying in the competition didn't matter that much anymore.

• Love 6

I had missed the Swapnil ousting episode and finally saw it yesterday in the re-runs.  I have to say that I think he did a really poor job with and for his client.  He didn't appear to listen, and while she wasn't the most communicative when it came to what she wanted, he should have picked up on some hints about what may of worked.  I think the most egregious thing was him sending her down the runway in a poor fitting but WORSE, unfinished outfit.  When Zac discovered the knotted fabric and otherwise unfinished portions of the garment, I was affronted with him.

I too just love Swapnil's FW collection: just beautiful and feminine, although I'm less excited about the crotch covering trend wiht the see throughs.... I can't imagine that appealing to a lot of women who would otherwise want to wear his outfits.

• Love 1

I thought I read that Swapnil exhibited at Fashion Week because he was already an established designer, rather than as a decoy collection for Project Runway...

I wonder what Tim Gunn thought of Swapnil's collection.  I thought it was gorgeous, and that he actually benefited by being eliminated from Project Runway, because he was able to show what he can do when not limited by Project Runway's absurd rules and deadlines, and by being able to work in his own way and not pushed into working the way Tim Gunn thought he should.

According to this blog, he was part of the Project Runway entourage for Fashion Week. 

He has done it yet again!! Just like we told you earlier that designer Swapnil Shinde will be showcasing his latest Spring/Summer 2016 collection at the New York Fashion Week on the 11th sept 2016 for Project Runway.

https://vanityinsanityin.wordpress.com/2015/09/13/swapnil-shinde-at-new-york-fashion-week/

I wonder if Swapnil's main goal was to stay long enough so he could at least show a decoy collection at Fashion Week on Lifetime's dime, and once he accomplished that goal, staying in the competition didn't matter that much anymore.

I wonder if he got tossed on purpose once he was far enough along to get to NYFW.  I find it doubtful that his collection was held as strictly (or at all) to the same requirements in terms of limits on money, time, and sewing help as the actual finalists.  If you already have a business and are trying to break into a new market is it better to create a subpar collection and win a cash prize or create a show that will be well received by the actual fashion community?

• Love 3

I wonder if he got tossed on purpose once he was far enough along to get to NYFW.  I find it doubtful that his collection was held as strictly (or at all) to the same requirements in terms of limits on money, time, and sewing help as the actual finalists.  If you already have a business and are trying to break into a new market is it better to create a subpar collection and win a cash prize or create a show that will be well received by the actual fashion community?

Your post makes me wonder... do the decoy designers get $ from PR to make their collections? It would be kinda mean to require them to show, but expect them to come up with the cash to create that many looks on their own.

Of course, it's such a great opportunity, that I doubt anyone would complain, but there have been those who can't even make their rent. Where would they get the money to make decoy collections that are in the same league (as far as quality of materials) that the real finalist have?

They don't get any extra time for actual work because they can't go home until they are shown being eliminated on the televised broadcast, which happens AFTER FW or they wouldn't be showing the decoy int he first place. Their only real advantage is having a little extra time to be sketching and thinking about their collection (which anyone in their right mind would have started doing BEFORE the show started!) and maybe getting a couple of days sleep in the "auf'ed designers" housing.

Edited by slothgirl

I think I've seen before that the decoys get the same money.  Its just Swapnil that I think may be a different situation because of his particular resources.  He could be using designs from before the show..  He has to have people that work for him.  He has to have the funds to supplement the PR dollars.

Its just that I saw something that referred to him showing his Spring/Summer 2016 collection which makes me think he's planning to market his collection which makes me think he didn't do something special for the show and that its part of his regular business.

• Love 2

I think I've seen before that the decoys get the same money.  Its just Swapnil that I think may be a different situation because of his particular resources.  He could be using designs from before the show..  He has to have people that work for him.  He has to have the funds to supplement the PR dollars.

Its just that I saw something that referred to him showing his Spring/Summer 2016 collection which makes me think he's planning to market his collection which makes me think he didn't do something special for the show and that its part of his regular business.

They were never going to send Tim to India, so Swapnil was never going to make the final four, JMO. I guess he agreed to the charade to get the fashion week real estate. 

• Love 1

I'm betting that he just took some pieces from his regular line from India and walked it on this show in an attempt to get a few new eyeballs. That's basically his whole MO for appearing on this show. This is not criticism on my part, just an observation (a very obvious one).

Is his collection as special and mind-blowing as some posters on here make it out to be - absolutely not. I'm sure it's pretty generic couture from <insert India's fashion capital here>. Is it more deserving to be in the final show than other contestants? (looking at you, Ashley). Resounding yes!

• Love 1

There are (or used to be) rules about what work a designer could contract out and how it would be figured into the budget. If this is still the case, as it probably is, Swapnil wouldn't be allowed to use extensive hired labor or previously finished garments. There's nothing to stop him from using previous designs, but all the designers should come with a final collection in mind.  

If I heard right, Swapnil's strategy was to get by and then wow them at the end.  It didn't work.  I really don't buy any reason why Swapnil wouldn't 'want' to win especially if he's trying to get into the market here.  I did think his FW collection was the best and imagine the coverage he would have gotten if he won?  He blew it.  Either because of his so called strategy or maybe it was really about his laziness.  Why produce what he did in the challenge he was eliminated if he wants to expand his brand?

Oh, and he didn't get eliminated because TPTB had planned choosing Ashley all along as some posters have said in the forum.  It was all on Swapnil.  Too bad.

If I heard right, Swapnil's strategy was to get by and then wow them at the end.  It didn't work.  I really don't buy any reason why Swapnil wouldn't 'want' to win especially if he's trying to get into the market here.  I did think his FW collection was the best and imagine the coverage he would have gotten if he won?  He blew it.  Either because of his so called strategy or maybe it was really about his laziness.  Why produce what he did in the challenge he was eliminated if he wants to expand his brand?

Oh, and he didn't get eliminated because TPTB had planned choosing Ashley all along as some posters have said in the forum.  It was all on Swapnil.  Too bad.

I think a lot of previous seasons have had people who win early on and then burn out.  

They may do so because there is this idea that if you bring your best work to the table early on there is no place else to go.  The judges start expecting better than your best and its easy to fall.  Not because the work is so bad, but because you've already shown your best work.  And of course there is the idea that it would just be physically and mentally exhausting to give your best at the start, which could lead to burn out.

From that perspective, to me, his strategy made sense.  You give 60%, which, if you're a great designer should get you by and should leave enough room to improve enough towards the middle to continue to impress the judges.  Towards the middle maybe you start to give 70%-80%.  At the end, you give them everything.  The way it looks is as though you've progressed and improved, and I suppose you have, but it doesn't allow for the slump.

And apparently his work at 60% was more than enough to get him in the top three for 4-5 challenges.  The first challenge when he was in the bottom was the UM challenge, and it was then that Zac made that odd comment about how he was "tired of giving Swapnil chances."  But really, what "chances" are you giving a guy who has been in the top every single week up until that point?  Since that line was completely out of the blue, it makes sense that Tim had finally turned Zac to his side (Tim was clear that he had gone to the judges multiple times to get Swapnil thrown off because of his "work ethic").  Even in the UM challenge, Heidi and Nina liked Swapnil's top, and Heidi even liked the bottom.  So much so that Heidi remarked that Lindsey needed more "Swapnil juice."  And there is just no logical way in life that anyone thought that Laurie's mousepad monstrosity was objectively better than Swapnil's design.  Ever since that challenge, I think Zac had it out for Swapnil.  In the wonderland challenge, Swapnil produced a lovely piece that was tailored and beautifully fitted and fit with his aesthetic of hard and soft.  Kelly basically made a short black dress and covered it with a piece of pretty fabric.  Kelly is a lovely person, but when the gloves are the most impressive part of her look, its a little ridiculous to put her in the top three.  I think the other two judges probably gave Swapnil really high scores, but Zac's scores brought him to the middle.  And I almost would never label a designer as lazy if he came up with three outfits in response to the most difficult client in the room.

Even when Swapnil worked exactly the way Tim wanted (Neverland challenge) Tim STILL wasn't happy with him.  Because Tim is whiny and mean spirited when he doesn't personally like someone or when they aren't in line with how he feels they should be. 

And ultimately, this show is Project Runway not Project Work Really Hard.  They should only be judging Swapnil on his work, and not on his effort.  When the show undertakes to reward people for anything other than their work, you end up with a crappy Ashley win.....which is exactly what this shitshow of a season deserved.

• Love 13

I think a lot of previous seasons have had people who win early on and then burn out.

They may do so because there is this idea that if you bring your best work to the table early on there is no place else to go. The judges start expecting better than your best and its easy to fall. Not because the work is so bad, but because you've already shown your best work. And of course there is the idea that it would just be physically and mentally exhausting to give your best at the start, which could lead to burn out.

From that perspective, to me, his strategy made sense. You give 60%, which, if you're a great designer should get you by and should leave enough room to improve enough towards the middle to continue to impress the judges. Towards the middle maybe you start to give 70%-80%. At the end, you give them everything. The way it looks is as though you've progressed and improved, and I suppose you have, but it doesn't allow for the slump.

And apparently his work at 60% was more than enough to get him in the top three for 4-5 challenges. The first challenge when he was in the bottom was the UM challenge, and it was then that Zac made that odd comment about how he was "tired of giving Swapnil chances." But really, what "chances" are you giving a guy who has been in the top every single week up until that point? Since that line was completely out of the blue, it makes sense that Tim had finally turned Zac to his side (Tim was clear that he had gone to the judges multiple times to get Swapnil thrown off because of his "work ethic"). Even in the UM challenge, Heidi and Nina liked Swapnil's top, and Heidi even liked the bottom. So much so that Heidi remarked that Lindsey needed more "Swapnil juice." And there is just no logical way in life that anyone thought that Laurie's mousepad monstrosity was objectively better than Swapnil's design. Ever since that challenge, I think Zac had it out for Swapnil. In the wonderland challenge, Swapnil produced a lovely piece that was tailored and beautifully fitted and fit with his aesthetic of hard and soft. Kelly basically made a short black dress and covered it with a piece of pretty fabric. Kelly is a lovely person, but when the gloves are the most impressive part of her look, its a little ridiculous to put her in the top three. I think the other two judges probably gave Swapnil really high scores, but Zac's scores brought him to the middle. And I almost would never label a designer as lazy if he came up with three outfits in response to the most difficult client in the room.

Even when Swapnil worked exactly the way Tim wanted (Neverland challenge) Tim STILL wasn't happy with him. Because Tim is whiny and mean spirited when he doesn't personally like someone or when they aren't in line with how he feels they should be.

And ultimately, this show is Project Runway not Project Work Really Hard. They should only be judging Swapnil on his work, and not on his effort. When the show undertakes to reward people for anything other than their work, you end up with a crappy Ashley win.....which is exactly what this shitshow of a season deserved.

Exactly. Every word.

Edited by Kareem
  • Love 2