Type keyword(s) to search

S14: Swapnil Shinde

• Start Topic

I think a lot of previous seasons have had people who win early on and then burn out.  

They may do so because there is this idea that if you bring your best work to the table early on there is no place else to go.  The judges start expecting better than your best and its easy to fall.  Not because the work is so bad, but because you've already shown your best work.  And of course there is the idea that it would just be physically and mentally exhausting to give your best at the start, which could lead to burn out.

From that perspective, to me, his strategy made sense.  You give 60%, which, if you're a great designer should get you by and should leave enough room to improve enough towards the middle to continue to impress the judges.  Towards the middle maybe you start to give 70%-80%.  At the end, you give them everything.  The way it looks is as though you've progressed and improved, and I suppose you have, but it doesn't allow for the slump.

And apparently his work at 60% was more than enough to get him in the top three for 4-5 challenges.  The first challenge when he was in the bottom was the UM challenge, and it was then that Zac made that odd comment about how he was "tired of giving Swapnil chances."  But really, what "chances" are you giving a guy who has been in the top every single week up until that point?  Since that line was completely out of the blue, it makes sense that Tim had finally turned Zac to his side (Tim was clear that he had gone to the judges multiple times to get Swapnil thrown off because of his "work ethic").  Even in the UM challenge, Heidi and Nina liked Swapnil's top, and Heidi even liked the bottom.  So much so that Heidi remarked that Lindsey needed more "Swapnil juice."  And there is just no logical way in life that anyone thought that Laurie's mousepad monstrosity was objectively better than Swapnil's design.  Ever since that challenge, I think Zac had it out for Swapnil.  In the wonderland challenge, Swapnil produced a lovely piece that was tailored and beautifully fitted and fit with his aesthetic of hard and soft.  Kelly basically made a short black dress and covered it with a piece of pretty fabric.  Kelly is a lovely person, but when the gloves are the most impressive part of her look, its a little ridiculous to put her in the top three.  I think the other two judges probably gave Swapnil really high scores, but Zac's scores brought him to the middle.  And I almost would never label a designer as lazy if he came up with three outfits in response to the most difficult client in the room.

Even when Swapnil worked exactly the way Tim wanted (Neverland challenge) Tim STILL wasn't happy with him.  Because Tim is whiny and mean spirited when he doesn't personally like someone or when they aren't in line with how he feels they should be. 

And ultimately, this show is Project Runway not Project Work Really Hard.  They should only be judging Swapnil on his work, and not on his effort.  When the show undertakes to reward people for anything other than their work, you end up with a crappy Ashley win.....which is exactly what this shitshow of a season deserved.

I don't think his strategy made 'sense'.  Because it didn't work. 

IMO, Swapnil was judged on his work.  He had some very nice designs but he also had half hearted ones (I'm being kind here) such as the PR staff challenge and he got eliminated.  It wasn't at 60%.  Not even close.

I don't think his strategy made 'sense'.  Because it didn't work. 

IMO, Swapnil was judged on his work.  He had some very nice designs but he also had half hearted ones (I'm being kind here) such as the PR staff challenge and he got eliminated.  It wasn't at 60%.  Not even close.

Its silly to say that something doesn't make sense simply because it didn't work.  Beyond that, the strategy did work, until Tim Gunn took it upon himself to insist that work ethic was a reason for any contestant to be sent home versus actual work product.  Swapnil working at 60% was in the top three for the first 4-5 challenges.  The reason his strategy didn't work was only because Tim Gunn went running to the judges to get him thrown off the show., because Tim thinks work ethic is more important than work product.  But there are many times that something that makes sense simply doesn't work, that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, it simply means it didn't work.

Swapnil clearly didn't get judged on his work.  When he was in the bottom the first time on the UM challenge, its when Zac made that comment that made no sense.  Both Heidi and Nina liked the top of his design.  Heidi even liked the bottom, but thought it shouldn't have been muslin.  So much so that Heidi commented that Lindsey needed to be more like Swapnil.   And in no way was Swapnil's work worse than Laurie's mousepad disaster.  The second time, he was in the middle even though Kelly's design was a black dress with gloves and an easy cut out robe.  Then he was given the most difficult model in the room, who also happened to be Tim's friend....the same Tim who had advocated and whined to the judges for Swapnil to be sent home.  I don't find any of that fair.  That woman was not going to be happy no matter what Swapnil did.  And especially since Tim was on a rampage and looking to get Swapnil sent home by any means necessary.  

Swapnil had been basically forced to change the way he worked, even though that way had brought him great success on the show by Tim Gunn.  When he did, that is when he fell even further.  But of course, at that point, Tim had gotten Zac on his side and both were committed to getting Swapnil off the show.  So good for them, they both deserve a crappy Ashley win......I'm sure she worked really, really hard, so Tim should be pleased that his message came through loud and clear.  In fact, Tim should own Ashley's victory and be supportive of it, because in Tim's world, nothing is more important than working really, really hard, even if you have a crappy design....and that is what Ashley's win is all about.  Handing someone an award for effort and not results.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 7

Its silly to say that something doesn't make sense simply because it didn't work.  Beyond that, the strategy did work, until Tim Gunn took it upon himself to insist that work ethic was a reason for any contestant to be sent home versus actual work product.  Swapnil working at 60% was in the top three for the first 4-5 challenges.  The reason his strategy didn't work was only because Tim Gunn went running to the judges to get him thrown off the show., because Tim thinks work ethic is more important than work product.  But there are many times that something that makes sense simply doesn't work, that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, it simply means it didn't work.

Swapnil clearly didn't get judged on his work.  When he was in the bottom the first time on the UM challenge, its when Zac made that comment that made no sense.  Both Heidi and Nina liked the top of his design.  Heidi even liked the bottom, but thought it shouldn't have been muslin.  So much so that Heidi commented that Lindsey needed to be more like Swapnil.   And in no way was Swapnil's work worse than Laurie's mousepad disaster.  The second time, he was in the middle even though Kelly's design was a black dress with gloves and an easy cut out robe.  Then he was given the most difficult model in the room, who also happened to be Tim's friend....the same Tim who had advocated and whined to the judges for Swapnil to be sent home.  I don't find any of that fair.  That woman was not going to be happy no matter what Swapnil did.  And especially since Tim was on a rampage and looking to get Swapnil sent home by any means necessary.  

Swapnil had been basically forced to change the way he worked, even though that way had brought him great success on the show by Tim Gunn.  When he did, that is when he fell even further.  But of course, at that point, Tim had gotten Zac on his side and both were committed to getting Swapnil off the show.  So good for them, they both deserve a crappy Ashley win......I'm sure she worked really, really hard, so Tim should be pleased that his message came through loud and clear.  In fact, Tim should own Ashley's victory and be supportive of it, because in Tim's world, nothing is more important than working really, really hard, even if you have a crappy design....and that is what Ashley's win is all about.  Handing someone an award for effort and not results.

So it worked until it didn't work.  Just to clarify, Swapnil was top three in episodes 2, 3, 5 and 6.  From there is was downhill and he never won a challenge.  When did Tim whine to the judges to send Swapnil home?  I don't remember that.

I also  think that if Swapnil  was producing great designs Tim wouldn't have had a problem with Swapnil's 'work ethic' but he wasn't.  If Swapnil had actually listened to his client the week he was eliminated, maybe she wouldn't have been unhappy.  He just didn't care after week six. 

So it worked until it didn't work.  Just to clarify, Swapnil was top three in episodes 2, 3, 5 and 6.  From there is was downhill and he never won a challenge.  When did Tim whine to the judges to send Swapnil home?  I don't remember that.

I also  think that if Swapnil  was producing great designs Tim wouldn't have had a problem with Swapnil's 'work ethic' but he wasn't.  If Swapnil had actually listened to his client the week he was eliminated, maybe she wouldn't have been unhappy.  He just didn't care after week six. 

It worked until Tim got involved.  And yes Swapnil was in the top from the start of the season using his 60% strategy.  So, it was working until Tim decided to throw a throw numerous bitch fits with the judges.

Tim was very clear that he went to the judges and complained to them about Swapnil, and how they should sent Swapnil home because he wasn't exhibiting the "work ethic" Tim thought he should exhibit.  Not because of his actual work product, but because of work ethic.  I've linked to the Tim Gunn/EW interview many times where he discusses it.

The first time that Swapnil was in the bottom, it was when Zac made the comment that didn't make any sense about how he was "tired of giving Swapnil chances" which would make sense if Swapnil was ever in the bottom, or even in the middle.  But what "chances" would you be giving a designer who has consistently been in the top three?  The only way that makes sense is when you consider that Tim already admitted to going to the judges and telling them that Swapnil needed to go home and how frustrated he was that the judges were rewarding someone he didn't feel worked hard enough.  Not that they were rewarding someone who wasn't putting out top three quality work, but just that the judges weren't sending home someone who wasn't working the way Tim thought they should work.  When you consider it in the context suddenly Zac's comment makes sense.  Zac's comment was clearly not about Swapnil's work, because Swapnil's work until that point was consistently in the top three.

Swapnil clearly was producing great designs because they were in the top three.  Tim went to complain to the judges far before Swapnil was ever in the bottom.  And mind you, this was not Tim complaining that Swapnil should be sent home because his designs were so awful, he went to complain to the judges when Swapnil was in the top three.  He only complained that Swapnil should be sent home because Tim felt he wasn't working hard enough.  Swapnil tried, and tried and tried with her, the woman wasn't going to be pleased because that was her directive and she was a miserable human being.  There is a difference between getting a client that just wants something a little different, and then there is getting a client that refuses to be pleased no matter what.  She was clearly a client who wasn't going to be pleased no matter what Swapnil did.  And she just happened to be friends with Tim, who had it in for Swapnil.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 8

I think Swapnil's output definitely declined after a while, but I think he came intending to compete. I think he just got discouraged by the Sandhya wins (defined as weird, poorly crafted 'original' garments from the contestant who creates drama being rewarded for being 'original'- did anyone think Ashley and Candice deserved that win over Swapnil's outfit or the greek Jean Harlow jumpsuit?). In the face of some fairly compelling evidence that he wasn't going to be able to please the judges, why wouldn't he just stay safe until some of the judges' pets screwed the pooch badly enough to be sent home? He just underestimated how determined the production was to keep them.  

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

But there really isn't any "staying safe" when it's already been predetermined that you're going to go. I haven't watched the end credits for a while, but it used to be stated right on the screen that the producers are involved in the judging. Swapnil wouldn't be the first contestant to give up upon realizing nothing he did would make a difference in the final outcome. And to his credit, he doesn't seem to be bitter or angry.

• Love 2

When you make a statement that you're only going to give 'x' amount of effort, it's going to get back to the PTB and that's what Swapnil did.  Stupid on Swapnil's part and very arrogant.  The producers, who are there during filming, are going to say something to Tim and then to Heidi and it's going to get to Nina and Zac.  And if the percentage you give keeps going down, you're going to be out.  Everyone was seeing through Swapnil's 'plan'.  And if that's your attitude, you don't belong on the show IMO.

I don't think anything was predetermined.  As Tim stated, he wasn't there for the auditions.  So, I'm not buying the so called 'plan' for Ashley to win.  If they had 'wanted' to do a plus size PC winner, they could have done it way before season 14.  Or is Ashley the first plus size designer ever?  I don't think so.  Swapnil purposely sabotaged himself with his arrogance.  The rest?  Who was a shining star?  Who was even comparable to many or even most previous winners?  None of them.  

• Love 1

But there really isn't any "staying safe" when it's already been predetermined that you're going to go. I haven't watched the end credits for a while, but it used to be stated right on the screen that the producers are involved in the judging. Swapnil wouldn't be the first contestant to give up upon realizing nothing he did would make a difference in the final outcome. And to his credit, he doesn't seem to be bitter or angry.

Exactly. It's not the first season when it's been blatantly obvious that the judges' decisions were producer-driven, and if it wasn't clear what an embarrassment the outcome was as a result Tim wouldn't be washing his hands of it so loudly and insistently. And funnily enough, the only other thing he felt a need to contextualize was working behind the scenes to push Swapnil off for a reason other than the quality of his output. 

I would actually call Swapnil for being the Natalia Fedner (the woman who was driven off the show to save Mondo and Tim's pet on Under the Gunn) of this season - which is to say, the one who was actually bullied by people in a position to make him take it. And unlike a few of the collections, however much they gave him to spend for his decoy show, it was all on the runway. That, and Tim apparently felt the pressure to kiss up to him by the reunion.

I think Swapnil played the game very successfully for someone who was only allowed to compete for runner up.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4
When you make a statement that you're only going to give 'x' amount of effort, it's going to get back to the PTB and that's what Swapnil did.  Stupid on Swapnil's part and very arrogant.  The producers, who are there during filming, are going to say something to Tim and then to Heidi and it's going to get to Nina and Zac.  And if the percentage you give keeps going down, you're going to be out.  Everyone was seeing through Swapnil's 'plan'.  And if that's your attitude, you don't belong on the show IMO.

You should ONLY be out because your effort (or lack thereof) is showing up on the runway, IMO.  No other reason, except for cheating or physical violence.  This show has never penalized a designer solely for being obnoxious, cruel, snide, a braggart or a bully, a horrible team leader or player or fight picker, but lack of effort is a no-no?  I also don't see any evidence that anyone thought anything except Tim.   YMMV.

I actually wish they would penalize designers for those things I've listed to stop that behavior, but to consider Swapnil's behavior as being beyond the pale is very hypocritical on Tim and the show's part, IMO.  

Edited by backgroundnoise
  • Love 12

Julia said:

And unlike a few of the collections, however much they gave him to spend for his decoy show, it was all on the runway.

This is a very good point. Ashley had $9000, where did she spend it? Certainly not on fabrics or quality zippers. The materials Swapnil used were beautiful and expensive-looking.

• Love 5

I don't think anything was predetermined.  As Tim stated, he wasn't there for the auditions.  So, I'm not buying the so called 'plan' for Ashley to win.  If they had 'wanted' to do a plus size PC winner, they could have done it way before season 14.  Or is Ashley the first plus size designer ever?  I don't think so.  Swapnil purposely sabotaged himself with his arrogance.  The rest?  Who was a shining star?  Who was even comparable to many or even most previous winners?  None of them.  

People should come into a competition with a strategy.  Almost anyone who competes would tell you its silly not to have a strategy.  

And the only thing that should ever be judged on a show called Project Runway is what a designer present on the Runway.  Not percent effort....because when a show like this, decides to judge designs based on effort than you get a crappy Ashley win.  With a crappy collection that she worked really, really hard on, but that looks awful.  Seriously?  Shorts that ride up?  On a NYFW runway?  It just makes Project Runway look like a joke.

Swapnil had a plan that would allow him to rise steadily in the competition and avoid burnout.

And if Tim hadn't poisoned the judges with his personal vendettas there is no reason to believe that thats not what would have happened.  Swapnil was in the top giving 60% effort.  The first time he was in the bottom, its because Tim got to Zac, which is why he made that nonsensical comment.  Even though Nina and Heidi both liked the top of Swapnil's UM challenge look, and there is no way it was worse than Laurie's mousepad disaster.

In the next challenge, in response to Tim's browbeating, Swapnil completely changed his work method....and ended up in the middle.  Since Tim convinced Zac that Swapnil needed to be punished for not putting in enough effort, I believe that it was Zac's scores that put him in the middle, because if Tim swayed Zac to his POV...that wasn't to send Swapnil home for his designs, but for his effort, which means that no matter what Swapnil sent down the runway Zac was going to give it low scores.  Because Zac was no longer judging what was on the runway, but was judging based on effort.  And this show isn't called Project Work Effort this show is called Project Runway.  No judge should be judging a designer based on anything other than what that designer sends down the runway.  

So Swapnil's strategy was working until Tim whined, complained and carried onto the judges to get rid of Swapnil because he wasn't working the way Tim wanted him to work.  

There is no arrogance in having a plan that will allow you to steadily rise in the competition and avoid burnout.

There is however, great arrogance in someone like Tim suggesting that his work method is the only way to work, and there is great arrogance in Tim thinking that he should carry out personal vendettas by trying to get someone sent home for something other than the designs they put forward on the runway.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

Exactly. It's not the first season when it's been blatantly obvious that the judges' decisions were producer-driven, and if it wasn't clear what an embarrassment the outcome was as a result Tim wouldn't be washing his hands of it so loudly and insistently. And funnily enough, the only other thing he felt a need to contextualize was working behind the scenes to push Swapnil off for a reason other than the quality of his output. 

I would actually call Swapnil for being the Natalia Fedner (the woman who was driven off the show to save Mondo and Tim's pet on Under the Gunn) of this season - which is to say, the one who was actually bullied by people in a position to make him take it. And unlike a few of the collections, however much they gave him to spend for his decoy show, it was all on the runway. That, and Tim apparently felt the pressure to kiss up to him by the reunion.

I think Swapnil played the game very successfully for someone who was only allowed to compete for runner up.

And up until the very end, Tim and the crew were pushing for a crappy Asha win on Under the Gunn!

Again, its that mentality of rewarding someone for a reason other than their actual work, or what they put forward on the runway.  But rather because you think a designer is cool, or you want to be their friend, or you want to be part of the clique.

I think Seth Aaron is weird and I don't like him.....but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything he puts down a runway and so it makes me happy when he wins because his designs are so awesome.

To me, in spite of all the drama, Project Runway should always be about the Runway.  And only the runway.

• Love 2

People should come into a competition with a strategy.  Almost anyone who competes would tell you its silly not to have a strategy.  

And the only thing that should ever be judged on a show called Project Runway is what a designer present on the Runway.  Not percent effort....because when a show like this, decides to judge designs based on effort than you get a crappy Ashley win.  With a crappy collection that she worked really, really hard on, but that looks awful.  Seriously?  Shorts that ride up?  On a NYFW runway?  It just makes Project Runway look like a joke.

Swapnil had a plan that would allow him to rise steadily in the competition and avoid burnout.

And if Tim hadn't poisoned the judges with his personal vendettas there is no reason to believe that thats not what would have happened.  Swapnil was in the top giving 60% effort.  The first time he was in the bottom, its because Tim got to Zac, which is why he made that nonsensical comment.  Even though Nina and Heidi both liked the top of Swapnil's UM challenge look, and there is no way it was worse than Laurie's mousepad disaster.

In the next challenge, in response to Tim's browbeating, Swapnil completely changed his work method....and ended up in the middle.  Since Tim convinced Zac that Swapnil needed to be punished for not putting in enough effort, I believe that it was Zac's scores that put him in the middle, because if Tim swayed Zac to his POV...that wasn't to send Swapnil home for his designs, but for his effort, which means that no matter what Swapnil sent down the runway Zac was going to give it low scores.  Because Zac was no longer judging what was on the runway, but was judging based on effort.  And this show isn't called Project Work Effort this show is called Project Runway.  No judge should be judging a designer based on anything other than what that designer sends down the runway.  

So Swapnil's strategy was working until Tim whined, complained and carried onto the judges to get rid of Swapnil because he wasn't working the way Tim wanted him to work.  

There is no arrogance in having a plan that will allow you to steadily rise in the competition and avoid burnout.

There is however, great arrogance in someone like Tim suggesting that his work method is the only way to work, and there is great arrogance in Tim thinking that he should carry out personal vendettas by trying to get someone sent home for something other than the designs they put forward on the runway.

I never stated that it's wrong to have a strategy.  My post was about Swapnil's specific strategy and his arrogance about that strategy.  I've stated my opinion and this is just going round and round.  We disagree.  So let's just agree to disagree.

I thought Swapnil deserved to be eliminated for his work.  I don't think it was his work ethic.  He was putting out stuff that he made in a few hours and it looked like it.

I wonder if he was angry about not winning earlier on and decided he wasn't going to offer up his best ideas for this show since he foresaw them being 'safe' (non-winners).  There was a point where he seemed to just give up and not care.  I think it was around when the other guy quit. 

I just went back and checked out the photos of episode 10, where Swapnil was eliminated. His design wasn't as bad as Ashley's pink & purple peplum dress; in fact there was plenty of ugly to go around from everyone. But by then it was becoming clear that Tim had it in for Swapnil, and I think he saw the writing on the wall.

He certainly put a lot of effort into his decoy collection, which was WAY better than the winning one in both design and execution.

• Love 6