Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: Improv

• Start Topic

(edited)

Hee. In my head, Dom: "I cannot swim, am terrified of water, and hate mammals who live in the ocean. Where do I apply for the dolphin training job?" ......... in my head.

Love Eddie. Loathe Michelle. Figured Emilia was toast too.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 15

To me, Dom's still there because he's the lesser of other evils. Yes, he melts down in the camera challenges, but he cooks decent food and has a decent point of view. Look at the others. Emelia, even before the disaster, was always lecturing. Arnold's cooking has been shaky at best. The sandwich guy? They already have one who does it 1000 times better, this one just sucks. Michelle and her Armenian momma stuff was old 5 minutes into the very first episode. Jay is good, but I can see them being worried he's Lenny the sequel. James is the front runner, especially now that we haven't heard cheat day in a couple episodes. I won't be shocked if/when James wins, but they have to have him win over legitimate competition. Sadly, with this years batch, Dom might actually be the legitimate competition, especially since they could in theory build a show around him that would most likely be much better than some of the others. 

• Love 2

To me, Dom's still there because he's the lesser of other evils. Yes, he melts down in the camera challenges, but he cooks decent food and has a decent point of view. Look at the others. Emelia, even before the disaster, was always lecturing. Arnold's cooking has been shaky at best. The sandwich guy? They already have one who does it 1000 times better, this one just sucks. Michelle and her Armenian momma stuff was old 5 minutes into the very first episode. Jay is good, but I can see them being worried he's Lenny the sequel. James is the front runner, especially now that we haven't heard cheat day in a couple episodes. I won't be shocked if/when James wins, but they have to have him win over legitimate competition. Sadly, with this years batch, Dom might actually be the legitimate competition, especially since they could in theory build a show around him that would most likely be much better than some of the others. 

I don't really get the comparisons between Jay and Lenny.   Lenny is from New Hampshire and Jay is from Louisiana.  Jay seems like a good ole Cajun guy and Lenny was playing the part of a cowboy.  

And when you said James, I think you meant Eddie.

• Love 3

I agree that Eddie's pizza didn't looked cook - but I guess it was.

Emilia - wow!  Here's tip Emilia - Alpha does not equal mean.   I forgot already, but is there a reason why she did that bit?  Was that one of the improve choices?  It might have worked; but it just turned out mean.  Yes, Arnold is a drag queen, maybe those in the audience didn't know that, an to them it was just something that sounded bizarre.  People don't want to hear you beating down on someone  - "and his food isn't even cooked."

Dom - I think would have a little more sympathy for him if he also doesn't look mad and mean when he walks away.  Last night as he was walking the prompter said times up and he goes 'yeah, thank you" in what sounded to me very angry.  So it makes him look like he is walking off the set angry.

Not necessarily. If a guy had been making fun of women, his butt would be out the door.

Dom made obnoxious comments about women in general in response to Michelle last week, and not only did he stay, he was described as "sweet" and "vulnerable" at judging.

Emilia apparently didn't know the preferred way to insult Food Network personalities is on YouTube while molesting a brisket.

I've never seen a more synergistic pairing than this show and Cici's Pizza. This show is to food what Cici's is to pizza!

I would watch the crap out of a show where Danushka, Emilia, and Suzy Wong hold a viewing party to snark on this show (and FN in general) over cocktails.

• Love 9

Yes. And crap his pants.

That's when we'll see Tuschman make the most awful, screwed up, horrified prissy face in the history of the network. And they'll do it in slo-mo, with a loud roaring "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" slowly coming out of his mouth.

Hilarious!  I finally realized who it is Bob Tuschman reminds me of: do you remember Aunt Pittypat from Gone with the Wind?  Who fainted at even the slightest hint of provocation?  Sorry to mix metaphors here.  What can I say?  A little Platoon, a little Gone with the Wind, a little Muppets Take Manhattan....Bob Tuschman.

• Love 7

I was glad to see Emilia go.  I had started to like her over the past few weeks, but this week was a bit too much.  Hopefully Michelle will go next, but I have a feeling that the next few weeks will be all male eliminations to balance things out. 

I thought Eddie was smart to go with the dessert pizza.  Cici's has so many pizzas on their buffet that a regular pizza probably would have blended in with the other pizzas that Cici's offers.  At least the dessert pizza will stand out a bit more.

• Love 2

Dom made obnoxious comments about women in general in response to Michelle last week, and not only did he stay, he was described as "sweet" and "vulnerable" at judging.

Emilia apparently didn't know the preferred way to insult Food Network personalities is on YouTube while molesting a brisket.

You're totally right about Dom, I forgot... so ignore what I said earlier. :)  I cannot wait for FN to post something on Facebook so I can let them have it about Bobby being a liar where eliminating Dom is concerned.

Emilia skipped YouTube and went straight for the FN head honchos and judges so there'd be no doubt she should not win this competition. No way, no how.

I can relate to Dom.  I enjoy public speaking and, with enough prep time, can be a crowd-pleaser.  But if I unexpectedly have to be quick on my feet, disaster. 

So I think Dom probably sent in a winning demo.  And he could have come up with a decent four-minute spiel, with a night to think and no random anecdote roulette wheel.  He's not "afraid of being in front of a camera," he's just not any good at improvisation.

By the time I figured all this out, I was pretty far down one career path and had to switch gears.  Dom's also learning his lesson the hard way--I don't think cooking shows are reliable enough to be a good fit for him.

(edited)

Emilia's act seemed fake to me. I almost wonder if it was scripted.

It absolutely looked scripted and phony as hell to me.  She just happened to pack a Miley Cyrus-like "Break the Rules" shirt in her wardrobe to go on nationally-cabled TV?  Pshaw.  It would be more believable with Hilary Clinton wearing it. There was no motivation for her to take this opportunity to present before K&M and go off on this tangent instead of talking about her food and putting forth a competent, professional persona.  I think they sat her down and said, "Look, thanks, you did great.  We don't have a spot on air for you right now, but we've got a place for you in the test kitchen or over at Bobby's production company and you can work and learn.  In the meantime, story arc says you're getting cut this week so let's have you go out with a bang."  I suspect they gave her the motivation and the shirt and considering how badly they were written and how uncomfortable she looked saying them probably the lines, too.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 6

This is Eddie's to lose. He is definitely the front runner. He rocked both challenges. I want him to win, his island style is a bit different than most of the white bread southern chefs that the FN seems to favor.

yeah, Eddie was the only one who seemed comfortable, charming and funny.  Which is what you need to be if you want to have a cooking show.  

HIs pizza looked terrible though - like what he showed was BEFORE he put it in the oven. 

• Love 4

Really lame that Bobby told Dom he’d be out if he wasn’t amazing, then he sucked at BOTH challenges and they let him stay. They didn’t even mention the ultimatum.

Alex stinks, is boring, and won’t take notes. Michelle bores me. Emilia really, really screwed up but they might have just set her up for redemption. Arnold I just keep forgetting is there at all.

I feel like a few people who could have improved were let go so that these people could stay. That really annoys me.

Usually, we see improvement arcs, but I feel like we’re not getting any of those this season.

I’m rooting for Eddie, and i’d be fine with Jay winning too. I don’t agree that he’s creepy, or Lenny-esque. He hasn’t done anything or said anything that I can recall that gave me pause, which Lenny did constantly.

Usually I watch Star Salvation but I just can't interest myself in it this year. Perhaps I'll marathon them at some point in the next few weeks.

• Love 3

I’m rooting for Eddie, and i’d be fine with Jay winning too. I don’t agree that he’s creepy, or Lenny-esque. He hasn’t done anything or said anything that I can recall that gave me pause, which Lenny did constantly.

The only similarities I see between Jay and Lenny are that they're both large men, and they both have a rather punchy delivery style, like they'd literally push their words at you if words had mass. But the personalities strike me as quite different, and I like Jay a lot. I'm still in Eddie's camp, though.

• Love 6

Usually I watch Star Salvation but I just can't interest myself in it this year. Perhaps I'll marathon them at some point in the next few weeks.

It's actually way better than the main show. I am really impressed with what I've seen so far.

• Love 4

The more I think about Eddie's "pizza" winning, the more upset I get.  First of all, it didn't look anything like a pizza plus it just didn't look appetizing in the least, period.  I suppose the correct answer to that is, "What do you expect from CiCi's pizza?".  I even think Domino's has more class, LOL.  Then again, Pizza Hut just introduced that pizza with the hot dogs around it - And I thought that was the winner until this.

I agree about Emilia looking scripted and that she had absolutely no consistency whatsoever.  What I don't get is how the judges didn't call her out on that, though.  When Tuschie and Susie were on the show more often they would call people out on that kind of stuff.  It's that type of stuff I miss from them.

Speaking of that, I noticed how at one point Susie seemed to disagree with Giada on someone (I forget who now).  I am wondering why they are leaving this in the hands of Bobby and Giada because I think the decisions are better off coming from Tusch and Susie - perhaps they are making them behind the scenes but not being there WITH the contestants on a regular basis might lower the quality of their opinions.   That may have been the reason Lenny got as far as he did and eventually won.  That said, I miss this show coming from New York - I can't remember when it moved to California but I think it was better when it was based in NYC and Kermit and Medusa were on almost every week.

And I still don't see the similarity between Jay and Lenny other than them both being a little heavy,  messy and animated when they talk, but Jay does not have the crazy eyes nor the manic loose cannon style of Lenny.

• Love 2

When Emilia started talking about the other contestants, I literally said out loud, "Is she having a stroke?" I mean, I couldn't believe she planned to say any of that... maybe she had a little too much alcohol to loosen her up? At any rate, I knew she was a goner just by Kermit and Medusa's facial expressions. Alex and his potty mouth would have gone instead had she not flamed out so spectacularly.

• Love 8

Why the heck was David Alan Grier there? He did next to nothing.

I wish I liked Eddie as much as everyone else. I want someone to root for. For me he's the used car salesman not Jay. Does anyone know how far he got on MasterChef?

I think David Alan Grier did something really important. He made Eddie 50% better. Eddie's big smile as he was getting teased and Eddie's ability to run with David Alan Grier's comments during the improve were, in my opinion, the best he's ever been on this show.  It is hard to say if Eddie has it in him to be as charming as he was this week without David Alan Grier hanging around and setting him up, but I think he's got at least some of it.

I recognized this because it's similar to how I evaluate myself. I gravitate towards loud people or people who carry the conversation in a room, because my best skill is chiming in. Give me somebody to fill the dead space and to be the center of attention, and I become super comfortable with where I fit in the conversation and with what I have to offer.

And to me, it looked like Eddie was the very best kind of Eddie this week, and I really think it had a lot to do with David Alan Grier's interactions with him.

This is Eddie's to lose. He is definitely the front runner. He rocked both challenges. I want him to win, his island style is a bit different than most of the white bread southern chefs that the FN seems to favor.

I had Jay pinned as a mortal lock for the final three all the way back in episode 2 when Bobby and Giada started giving him extra credit projects because he was already comfortable in front of the camera and audiences.

As of this week, keeping in mind what I just said about Eddie above and how I think he benefited greatly from not having to carry the room by himself, I think Eddie and Jay are mortal locks for the final three. 

And honestly, I think I would prefer that Eddie wins and that they also find a place for Jay.  Eddie seems like a better fit as the face of FNS for the next year (especially since he is distinctly different than the last one), but I think with some toning down and toning up, Jay would be fine in some capacity on the networks.

Which would  be pretty impressive for this show to actually crank out two worthwhile personalities.

• Love 6

As soon as Tuschie said Emilia came off as mean, it was over.  He is the boss and he did not want her as the face of his network.  No matter what pathetic thing Dom did, there would be no further discussion among the judges.

• Love 2

I think David Alan Grier did something really important. He made Eddie 50% better. Eddie's big smile as he was getting teased and Eddie's ability to run with David Alan Grier's comments during the improve were, in my opinion, the best he's ever been on this show.  It is hard to say if Eddie has it in him to be as charming as he was this week without David Alan Grier hanging around and setting him up, but I think he's got at least some of it.

I recognized this because it's similar to how I evaluate myself. I gravitate towards loud people or people who carry the conversation in a room, because my best skill is chiming in. Give me somebody to fill the dead space and to be the center of attention, and I become super comfortable with where I fit in the conversation and with what I have to offer.

And to me, it looked like Eddie was the very best kind of Eddie this week, and I really think it had a lot to do with David Alan Grier's interactions with him.

I had Jay pinned as a mortal lock for the final three all the way back in episode 2 when Bobby and Giada started giving him extra credit projects because he was already comfortable in front of the camera and audiences.

As of this week, keeping in mind what I just said about Eddie above and how I think he benefited greatly from not having to carry the room by himself, I think Eddie and Jay are mortal locks for the final three. 

And honestly, I think I would prefer that Eddie wins and that they also find a place for Jay.  Eddie seems like a better fit as the face of FNS for the next year (especially since he is distinctly different than the last one), but I think with some toning down and toning up, Jay would be fine in some capacity on the networks.

Which would  be pretty impressive for this show to actually crank out two worthwhile personalities.

Agreed - I think this is the first time (or the first time in a long time) I've wholeheartedly rooted for a FNS. I really enjoy Eddie and his food, and I'd love to see a Caribbean POV on this network because YUM. I'm sure it'd get tweaked a bit (because: Food Network), but those flavors are fantastic, and it's not something I've seen much of on food shows. (If there IS a Caribbean show, let me know because I'd love to catch it!)

Now, hopefully he won't go posting idiotic vlogs to random craptastic morning DJs' bulletin boards... 

Ugh, Eddie was pandering by name checking the pizza place.

Eddie is really good at that. He did it also during his second presentation. He's really good at playing up exactly what the judges want to here.

I refuse to believe he even knows where a CiCi's Pizza is, let alone eat there.

• Love 4

Shibori said:

I would watch the crap out of a show where Danushka, Emilia, and Suzy Wong hold a viewing party to snark on this show (and FN in general) over cocktails.

"The Food Police" -- Oh, I would watch the hell out of that show.  Are you listening, FN?  

• Love 11
I agree that Emilia showed really bad judgment, but I believe that a guy on this show would have gotten away with it. Told he made a mistake, but not booted off because of it. I think there's a real double standard on this show, where a guy can flirt with being outrageous or even in bad taste and TPTB will wink at it. But women contestants are supposed to be sweet and nice and completely non-threatening and non-controversial.

I would agree with this if not for Eddie and some of the "he's so hot I don't care what he's cooking" kind of comments that no guy could pull off making about a female contestant.  I think she was just terrible and awkward, as has been said, but I also would watch the hell out of that show.  Put her on late-night, give her a bottle of something (they made a point of showing her and the other woman having a drink of something last night) and have her make food for drunk people while slurring secrets about other FN stars.  I feel like that could be amazing, or at least as good as a string of "Mystery Diners" episodes.

None of them are particularly compelling to me, though I'll openly hope for someone who has no connection to any kind of Southern US cuisine.  It's a big country, I'm kinda over making that our culinary heartland.

• Love 3

I think Dom would be gone if Kermit and Medusa weren't part of the judging.  There was no way the people in charge would let someone who disses others stay over a guy who is camera shy. 

On the other hand, perhaps the network has had so much bad luck with the "winner gets their own half hour cooking show" concept (2 of the last 3 didn't have shows broadcast, right?) that maybe they are now aiming at having the winner do a much shorter show - like only 1-2 minutes long - to fit in commercial breaks of their reruns. Dom could be perfect for that.

• Love 1
(edited)

I felt that I had viewed the unbelievable when Emilia committed professional suicide with her idiotic and shameful imitation of Arnold.  I could not understand what would make her say what she did, complete with an effeminate demonstration.  Then, she indulged in overkill, imitating others. Apology or not, she was absolutely out of line and deserved to go home as fast as they could eliminate her.

I was impressed yet again with Eddie.  He's remarkably entertaining, nice and casual, and his smile could light Los Angeles.  I think he's way ahead of the pack after this show.  It's his to win or lose in the coming weeks.

Dom, Dom, Dom.  I feel SO sorry for him.  On his own, he's funny and sincere, and he's cooked well on several occasions.  It's just that fear of the camera that buries so many otherwise good contestants.  I wish that Dom could overcome this fear, just for his own satisfaction.  Then, if he has to go, let it be for something else. 

Since last week's drama, I feel that Michelle is trying to win us over again, and most of what she says and does seems fake to me.  Jay's radio background has helped him enormously, I think, and he's been impressive.  Alex still leaves me cold, even though I like him.  I don't think Arnold will ever make it, but he deserves credit for trying so hard and being so creative in food and speaking.  In the first episode, I didn't care for Arnold, but he's won me over from then on.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 3

maybe they are now aiming at having the winner do a much shorter show - like only 1-2 minutes long - to fit in commercial breaks of their reruns. Dom could be perfect for that.

I doubt that.  Dom is given a minute and he talks for about 10 seconds and freezes up and walks off, he is now given 4 minutes and talks for one minute and chews/drinks water for another then walks off....if they gave him less time to talk he would probably just say his name then walk off.  The guy is a train-wreck in front of an audience/camera.  I think it's time they brought in Alton Brown to have a come to Jesus moment w/ Dom and tell him what's what.

• Love 4

"Domi-nooch" made me stabby.

If someone put pickles on my pizza I'd hate it. Maybe I heard it wrong.

I had no idea what a "samosa" (sp?) is and I still don't know.

I'm sick of Michelle's kids and I don't even know them

• Love 4
I had no idea what a "samosa" (sp?) is and I still don't know.

Yeah, that could stand some explaining. In Indian restaurants, it's a delightful appetizer, usually vegetarian and spicy, inside a pastry wrapper, fried till crispy.  

You know how every cuisine has a dish that's a filling inside dough?  Samosa, empanada, wonton, pierogi, the same, yet different. Of all of them,  I think samosas are the best. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought that Eddie and I might have to separate after he said something along the lines of having a pizza on the CiCi's menu being the ultimate prize.  There are no words.  It's a good thing he was flashing his smile and did that little butt-wiggle thing.  I'm just going to make him sleep on the couch for a night or two.  LOL.

I agree that he came off really well playing off David Alan Grier.  But it did start to get a little irritating.  My husband missed the setup for the second challenge and he asked what Eddie's advantage was for having won the mentor's challenge.  I told him that near as I could tell, it was David Alan Grier.

I am among those that thought Emilia's meltdown was scripted.  I can't think of a single thing we've seen in her edits to that point that led to that . . . performance.  She didn't even give a good reason why she thought that would work.  It seemed fake, fake, fake.

Which leads me to Jay.  I am not seeing what they are going so ga-ga about with him.  The edits must not being doing him justice, because he keeps getting reactions like "Exciting!" and "Riveting!" and "I just want to watch him forever!"  Usually all I can remember about his presentations is the shouting and in his talking heads the nasty comments about the others.  And the semi-crazy eyes.

Dom in now the mayor of Tooltown as far as I'm concerned.  That "Adios!" comment to Emilia seemed a lot more mean-spirited to me than anything she said about him.

Tush really does clutch the pearls, doesn't he? 

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 3
Umeboshi also came up on an episode of Robert Irvine's Dinner: Impossible

there's also an episode of Chopped titled Oh my goshy Umeboshi.

I can't believe the contestants didn't compulsively watch FN before they got on this show, you'd think you'd want to know what does well. And they would have known WTH umeboshi is. 

• Love 1

I thought that Eddie and I might have to separate after he said something along the lines of having a pizza on the CiCi's menu being the ultimate prize.  There are no words.  It's a good thing he was flashing his smile and did that little butt-wiggle thing.  I'm just going to make him sleep on the couch for a night or two.  LOL.

I think that's just another proof of his professionalism. All of the real FN stars have to say nice things about corporate sponsors' food products and to occasionally do commercial endorsement deals with them. If you can't sound like you want that, you probably shouldn't have the job. Seriously, he was better at that job than Duff Goldman was, who was saying the same type of stuff on this episode.

• Love 8
(edited)
Dom in now the mayor of Tooltown as far as I'm concerned.  That "Adios!" comment to Emilia seemed a lot more mean-spirited to me than anything she said about him.

I'm no fan of Dom's, but I thought the "adios" comment was because he was so certain he was toast. If it was directed at Emelia, that was rude. But then so was she.

Oh, he won't be on the couch. Eddie knows where to go... ;)

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 3
I am among those that thought Emilia's meltdown was scripted.  I can't think of a single thing we've seen in her edits to that point that led to that . . . performance.  She didn't even give a good reason why she thought that would work.  It seemed fake, fake, fake.

I didn't even think it was a meltdown.  I thought that someone told her IMPROV = roasting her fellow contestants, so that was what she prepared for.  Since she has that "school teacher"  vibe, and was told that, maybe she was trying to be the exact opposite.   the whole thing came across like she was trying to be "wacky and edgy"   - and failing miserably.  

• Love 7

I think that's just another proof of his professionalism. All of the real FN stars have to say nice things about corporate sponsors' food products and to occasionally do commercial endorsement deals with them. If you can't sound like you want that, you probably shouldn't have the job. Seriously, he was better at that job than Duff Goldman was, who was saying the same type of stuff on this episode.

OK, you've convinced me.  Eddie doesn't have to sleep on the couch any more.

And that reminds me, I thought Duff was totally useless on the episode.  I mean more than normal.

I'm no fan of Dom's, but I thought the "adios" comment was because he was so certain he was toast. If it was directed at Emelia, that was rude. But then so was she.

I thought Dom directed it at Emilia based on her reaction.  But I was probably wrong.  I still think he's a tool though.

Oh, he won't be on the couch. Eddie knows where to go... ;)

LOL!

• Love 1

I didn't even think it was a meltdown.  I thought that someone told her IMPROV = roasting her fellow contestants, so that was what she prepared for.  Since she has that "school teacher"  vibe, and was told that, maybe she was trying to be the exact opposite.   the whole thing came across like she was trying to be "wacky and edgy"   - and failing miserably.  

This rings true to me because from the very outset, Emilia  has described herself in words that were the dead opposite of how she comported herself.  "Edgy" is the word I recall most, along with sarcastic, sharp, etc.  She never seemed even remotely edgy or sarcastic, exactly, just dull, flat, humorless, and dismissive.  Which is exactly how her attempt at comedy came off - dull, flat, humorless, dismissive -- and just flat-out mean.  Sadly, I think this is the real Emilia, not the fantasy image she has imagined for herself.  Her descriptions of her food seemed just as off-kilter.  I couldn't stand her from the first week, so I'm glad to see her gone. 

I think Eddie is the only one whose show I would ever consider watching.  The rest are just there to use up the time. 

• Love 7

Random trivia:  Any fans of America's Next Top Model from way back when?  Umeboshi was the food Yaya spit out in Tokyo during their commercial.  The judges found that totally disrespectful. Tyra told her to get some humble pie.  Fast.

hahaha, I remembered--in fact I screamed "UMEBOSHI! Tastes so sweet, you'll swear its candy!!" Good times, good times.....

I didn't get Aemilia's bit at all. The audience didn't know her fellow contestants, so it wasn't like she was giving them behind the scenes dirt. She was just talking smack about people they didn't know. If she'd poked fun at Bobby or Giada, it still would have been in terrible taste (unless it was good natured and, you know, actually funny), but would have made more sense from the perspective of the audience.

Eddie ftw. He was great.

• Love 3

I thought Dom directed it at Emilia based on her reaction.  But I was probably wrong.  I still think he's a tool though.

I think Dom meant it more towards himself after Bobby's now-empty ultimatum from the previous week.  Dom is a tool and I do think from here on out he will think he is teflon b/c he can always be in the bottom yet never sent home b/c of his eye-talian charms and the fact that Giada wants some of his sausage.

Remember when they had Duff on in the past and the challenge was the contestants decorating cakes...I do and I miss that version of FNS.

• Love 5
(edited)
I didn't get Aemilia's bit at all. The audience didn't know her fellow contestants, so it wasn't like she was giving them behind the scenes dirt. She was just talking smack about people they didn't know.

Right, in fact, her "drag queen"  comment, if you didn't know that the guy was in fact a drag queen, felt like she was just making a gay slam.  I think that is where she lost the audience.  It was like she was just using "queen"  as a slur. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 8
(edited)

I haven't watched this for a few weeks and I see I haven't really missed anything. Emilia was awful. Nasty and unfunny is a terrible combination. And she's an alpha female? Shut up.

I love David Allan Grier and I was sad that he has been reduced to appearing on this crapfest. And rip off Top Chef Chicago's Improv Challenge, much?

Giada is ridiculous.

David Allan Grier has a new sitcom starting in August. I love him too.

Bye Emilia. She was an idiot, " I'm an alfa female," be quiet. You decided to be mean an nasty, and didn't think you did any thing wrong. Bye.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

I don't really get the comparisons between Jay and Lenny.

I don't either.  There are some obvious superficial things they have in common - overweight, bearded, a bit loud - but I don't find them alike in personality at all.  Jay doesn't seem a bit phony to me.  I think that, like his style or not, he is what you see.  The only criticism I'd have for him is that he always looks sloppy.  He may be going for "good ol' boy from the bayou" but I don't really want to hear about food from someone in faded jeans who looks like he may or may not wash his hands in the men's room.  Otherwise, I like him.

I finally realized who it is Bob Tuschman reminds me of: do you remember Aunt Pittypat from Gone with the Wind?

That's funny but probably not even close to reality.  He's an upper level executive and has held that position for a long time.  From everything I've ever read about him, I gather that he's highly intelligent, very nice and has a sense of humor.  His non-threatening demeanor probably serves him very well.

Bobby being a liar where eliminating Dom is concerned.

I don't think he lied.  I think he didn't anticipate that someone would do something so nasty that they had to eliminate him/her first.  I'm sure the judges realized that there would be an outcry from viewers after Emilia's performance and it would be much worse for FN if they let her continue.

Sadly, I think this is the real Emilia, not the fantasy image she has imagined for herself.  Her descriptions of her food seemed just as off-kilter.  I couldn't stand her from the first week, so I'm glad to see her gone.

Agreed.  I just read her exit interview on the FN site and she sounds very impressed with herself.  She even went so far as to say that she wasn't nervous around the judges because she considered them "peers"  because they're all chefs (which isn't even the case).  She's a blogger who teaches some cooking classes and she thinks that puts her on the same level as network execs and a real chef like Bobby Flay?  Delusional.

• Love 9
(edited)

I thought Dom's "au revoir" comment was directed to himself like "I'm getting the boot", not Emilia.  He is very critical of himself.

Emilia, to me, clearly confuses edgy with bitchy, alpha female with bitchy.  She is not edgy.  She is the type who probably says "no offense but....." and then proceeds to criticize freely and openly.  Ugh.  I was slowly becoming a fan of hers but now am glad she's gone.  Though I'm not a Michelle fan and felt Dom should have been eliminated (particularly since Bobby issued a throwdown saying that Dom had to totally nail it this week), there is zero excuse for Emilia's improv behavior. 

I liked Giada's dress in the first challenge.  What is the deal with the cleavage mandate for Susie and Giada by the costumers???  It is ridiculous.

Edited by MerBearHou
(edited)

Based on this episode, Eddie is a lock. He got his (sad) pizza featured at Cici's and he had good banter with David Alan Grier.  I had a similar feeling when Jeff Mauro killed it on Rachel Ray.

Eddie, being a ex-NFL player, has been well trained in how to talk to camera without making the team/coach look bad.

As for Emilia, she tried out the "edgy" POV in one the early episodes and dropped it. It should have stayed gone. The phrase "watching the Food Network" should have been a softball. She could have talked about any number of shows and tips she learned from them. I've learned a lot from FN myself, despite hating cooking.

Edited by cee
  • Love 5

I didn't get Emilia's bit at all. The audience didn't know her fellow contestants, so it wasn't like she was giving them behind the scenes dirt. She was just talking smack about people they didn't know. If she'd poked fun at Bobby or Giada, it still would have been in terrible taste (unless it was good natured and, you know, actually funny), but would have made more sense from the perspective of the audience.

So much this ^  (and to everyone else who said something similar). If Emilia had just made fun of Bobby and Giada, she'd still be here.

Her performance was so terrible that standing there wall-eyed and silent (the real "Domanuce") would have been a vast improvement so it's low hanging fruit to suggest an alternate "act" but here goes anyway ---- I would have loved her if she had imitated Giada's smile -- how the smile turns to a wince if she likes you and something bad just happened or her smile stays but her eyes turn cold if you've just done something inappropriate.  It would have been funny and she could have made it self-deprecating and people would have gotten it. *sigh*

That said, Emilia was my LEAST favorite contestant at the start of this show and nothing she has done since has endeared her to me. I'm just sad that they've eliminated every woman from this show pretty much in order. I'm a standard issue straight man and wouldn't mind if there was some eye candy left on the show for my type.  Hey, Eddie's harem can't have all the fun ;)

Emilia - wow!  Here's tip Emilia - Alpha does not equal mean.   I forgot already, but is there a reason why she did that bit?  Was that one of the improve choices?  It might have worked; but it just turned out mean.  Yes, Arnold is a drag queen, maybe those in the audience didn't know that, an to them it was just something that sounded bizarre.  People don't want to hear you beating down on someone  - "and his food isn't even cooked."

She was supposed to talk about the Food Network.  Not attack her co-contestants.

• Love 2